• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Atruejedi

General
98 Badges
Jun 24, 2003
  • War of the Roses
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Lead and Gold
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
smeppostersmall.jpg

The Small Enhancements Project, abbreviated as SMEP, is a user modification created for Paradox Interactive’s Hearts of Iron II. The mission statement of our team is to improve the already outstanding experience of vanilla gameplay by guiding the player and the computer-controlled nations down historic or semi-historic paths. Features include hundreds of new events designed to keep the game fun and historic at the same time. We do not wish to bog the game down with irrelevant or meaningless events. Therefore SMEP's main focus is on foreign policy events, such as declarations of war and peace treaties. Expect to see New Orders in Europe and Asia whether the conquerors are the Allies, the Axis, or the Soviets!

Some of our most prominent event chains include things such as the historic organization of the Balkans during Axis occupation, including increased partisan activity and plausible “what-if” options. If Austria is in the Axis, they will occupy Slovenia. Albania can occupy Kosovo. Turkey can occupy the Dardanelles. Nearly every historic possibility has been realistically thought out.

If the Third Reich manages to defeat the Soviet Union, do not expect to see a bland bitter peace in which Germany occupies all of European Russia! How silly and unrealistic! Instead, expect to see Russia, the Ukraine, Serbia, and Norway in the form of Axis puppets. But don’t worry; you’ll have plenty of lebensraum!

But what if Hitler fails and Stalin instead pushes into the Fatherland? Expect to see a historic post-war map of Europe after Germany is defeated. That is, if the Allies pulled their weight! If not, the map just might be a little more red than usual!

But let’s not neglect the Asian Theater! Separate treaties are in place for Japanese defeat to the USSR, China, and the Allies. If Japan manages to conquer China the player is presented with different occupation options. And if Pearl Harbor is followed up with a blitz in the Pacific and the West Coast of the United States, expect Roosevelt to throw in the towel!

Other events include the surrender of Italy and the creation of the Salo Republic, the declaration of war against Vichy France, the Iraqi revolt against British control, the Allied intervention in Persia, and the Italian invasion of Greece, including the aforementioned Axis invasion of Yugoslavia if Mussolini needs the Wehrmacht’s assistance.

Even some far-fetched but plausible situations are possible: Hungary and Romania going to war after Bitter Peace, the creation of a Scandinavian puppet state if Germany conquers a little more during Fall Weserübung, and the Balkanization of China if Japan decides to buy off the warlords. But beware… the world is a scary place with SMEP! Defeats at the hands of the Axis can push the United States and the United Kingdom down the dark path of autocracy!

So if you like the gameplay of vanilla Hearts of Iron II but want a little more spice when you’re conquering the world, try out the Small Enhancements Package! More information can be found on the official forums under the modding subforum. Good luck and good gaming!

Also, in the 1.3 patch for HOI2, must of our work was included, but not all and not everything that is included is current!

THE TEAM:

Jamison "Atruejedi" Geibel - over 99% of event writing
Ian "Afalsejedi" Coccozza - writes nearly all event descriptions, idea man
Karanic - Donated fix for "The Revolution Has Come!"
Ungo - dedicated tester, finds weird bugs

EVENTS and FEATURES:

Removed ALL AI minister events which placed ministers into the cabinet nearly every day. This ate alot of CPU power, was unrealistic, and simply annoyed me.

Created an Iraqi revolt event and enable the Iraqi switch sides event.

General adjustments on many event chances. For example, if Germany partitions Czechoslovakia with Hungary, Czechoslovakia is much more likely to fight to the bitter end. More fun, realistic, and persuades a player to go historic. I always split the Czechs with Hungary, but now I'm too afraid!

Italy is now scripted to declare war on Greece if Germany annexed the Czechs and if Italy already annexed Albania.

Yugoslavia will join the Axis if Greece is annexed by Italy or an Italian puppet before March 1940.

Germany will declare war on Yugoslavia if Greece has yet to be dealt with by March 1940.

Created an event for Romania ceding Constanta to Bulgaria. Infact, it got far more complex! Now there is a possibility, albeit very small, that Romania will refuse the demands, resulting in a Bulgarian declaration of war with another twist! Hungary has the option of teaming up with Bulgaria and gang-banging Romania!

UK now sours relations with Vichy via a Mers-el-Kabir event.

UK now goes to war with an Operation Torch event.

Spain now receives Gibralter from Italy after Italy receives it from Germany after England surrenders. Spain also gains Vichy territories after England is defeated and Spain is in the Axis.

After the UK's surrender, Vichy France regains control of the French Coastline. Germany keeps a little bit of land as spoils and punishment.

The Balkans now have a "new order" event which ends up making the region look like this:

balkansNWO.jpg

Lots of changes :)

Also, the events are coded to take into consideration Greece, Turkey, and Albania. So Albania might get Kosovo, Greece might get a peice of Macedonia with Bulgaria, and Turkey might get the Dardenelles or even Greece.

Italy now has an event to join the Axis when France is getting pummeled.

Vichy France and France now lose claims on all non-continental-French provinces.

England now has the option to intervene in Iran. If they choose to, the USSR will follow suit. Once Tehran falls, Persia is partitioned and reduced to a rump state to give Britain better movement in the region.

There is now an event for Finland to give Germany military access shortly before Operation Barbarossa historically began.

Italy now receives Nice, Savoy, and Corisa after Vichy France is created, even if they did not conquer these territories. Vichy loses claims on them to prevent a reverse in ownership.

A mini-Egypt is now created at the beginning of every scenario. It is possible that Egypt will join the Axis if Italian or German troops reach Cairo.

If Sweden, Norway, or Denmark own all of the previously mentioned countries, the nation can become Scandinavia. Germany can also create Scandinavia.

Italy now occupies Tunisia if they are losing ground in Libya or Vichy is losing ground in Algeria.

Greece will surrender Crete to the UK if things are going badly.

Peru and Equador will nearly always go to war now.

Hungary and Romania will go to war after the Soviet Union is defeated.

Germany will release Romania and Finland (and Turkey) after the Soviet Union is defeated, as they might have been annexed.

The UK will now annex Germany's Scottish puppet after the peace treaty.

Stalin and Chiang are now slept after their respective nations are defeated.

Expanded the Xi'an Incident. Now Communist China's opinion matters: they can execute Chiang for short-sighted reasons. This will destroy the United Front and lead to a badly beaten Nationalist China in most cases.

Germany can now be defeated by France and Poland. Austria is released, Slovakia turns back into Czechoslovakia (that is, if the state was not split with Hungary), Poland receives East Prussia, and France takes the Saarland.

Nepal, Bhutan, Yemen, and Oman will now leave the Allies after the UK is defeated.

Serbia will be liberated by Germany after the USSR is defeated. Ukraine has the possibility to be created by Germany after the war too.

Belgium and Holland now "turn over" their land to Germany after they are wiped off of the continent.

If these countries capitols are occupied, Germany or Japan (or the USSR) will puppet them after the UK peace treaty.

1. Jordan - Amman (ITA)
2. Palestine - Jerusalem (GER)
3. India - Delhi (GER, JAP, CHI, SOV)
4. Burma - Rangoon (JAP)
5. Persia - Tehran (GER)
6. Lebanon - Beirut (ITA)
7. Syria - Damascus (ITA)
8. Afghanistan - Kabul (SOV)

All events in hoi2.txt are now active or tweaked.

If Austria is in the Axis, beware. The war in Europe will turn out straggeringly different!

Switzerland will be partitioned after the UK and USSR are defeated.

Norway will be liberated as a German puppet with its capitol in Trondheim after the UK and USSR are defeated.

Stilwell and Falkenhausen now play a more important role in Nationalist China's war. Nationalist China's tech-teams are slightly altered.

USSR will get blueprints for terminating the Winter War with the "We'll Settle For What We Asked" option.

Tweaked Altmark Incident and Fall Weserubung events.

US has a new cabinet once they are defeated, featuring everybody's favorite bad guys! ;)

Finally, there is a conclusion to the Soviet question! After the USSR is defeated, Civil War will break out! Finally, Boshevism will be erradicated!

Also, SMEP 4.0 includes a fun easter egg! Shhhh, if you discover it, don't tell! ;)

NEW SURRENDER EVENTS:

All include non-aggression pacts, of course. Also, most of these treaties delete hundreds of units from the defeated nation. This also includes Hungary, Romania, Finland, and Bulgaria after their German friend is defeat.

Japan surrenders to China
Japan releases Korea and turns over Taiwan and Manchuria to China.

China surrenders to Japan
China is either entirely annexed, balkanized, or put under direct military control.

copros.jpg

Notice Mengukuo and strategic Japanese military bases around China​

US surrenders to Germany
US turns over Greenland and Iceland and begins down the dark path of autocracy

US surrenders to Japan
Japan can trigger this by blitzing the Pacific and the West Coast of America before "surprise attack" ends. Philippines is annexed.

Germany surrenders to everyone
Much better than the vanilla version. NATO and Warsaw Pact are set up at the end, if everything goes right. Test it out.

Britain surrenders to Germany
Britain turns over key strategic locations around Europe (Malta, Suez, Gibralter, Cyprus, Crete) to Germany, and Germany may give some to Italy (and Spain and even Turkey) if they are Axis members. Most British posessions are quickly gobbled up by the remaining Allies who will continue to fight.

neworderwest.jpg

Notice the French border with Germany, and the ownership of Malta, Gibralter, Savoy, Nice, and Corsica. Also notice enlarged Yemen, Oman, and Iraq, Italian Sinai, Crete, and Cyprus, and free Palestine, Jordan, Lebanon, and Syria.​

USSR surrenders to Germany
Germany takes most of the land west of the Urals and rewards Romania and Finland (and Turkey) for their participation, if members of the Axis. China will inherit Mongolia if a member of the Axis.

USSR surrenders to Germany and Japan
Same as above, except Japan gets Mongolia and Tannu Tuva, then hands these lands over to Mengukuo.

Italy surrenders to the Allies
Italian Social Repubic is set up in the north and Italy joins the Allies.

ADDITIONALLY!

I highly recommend using my Sexxicolors map mod in conjunction with this mod. A link is below.

Additionally, I recommend downloading Sexxileaders! It contains new and improved leader pictures for nearly 200 leaders and ministers! The link is below.

sexxileaders1.jpg

DIRECTIONS:

Simply extract each zip folder to your Hearts of Iron main directory.

DOWNLOAD THE NEW SMEP 4.5
Released 1:30 AM EST on April 8, 2006

DOWNLOAD SEXXICOLORS

DOWNLOAD SEXXILEADERS 5.0
Released 11:00 PM EST on June 8, 2006

REQUIRED!

Complete 1.3a Patch:
http://www.paradoxplaza.com/hoi2_v1.3a.exe

AI Enhancement 1.3b:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6836

SMEP IS NOT DOOMSDAY COMPATIBLE!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
sounds pretty good could help alot. it's always a pain when the move industry to siberia events don't fire. Same thing i've had the problem where i am Germany and usually take all of Poland with USSR taking nothing for some reason?

Maybe some more random events- I usually get a "Leading Scientist flees to our country" but I'd like to see more of these, and with more variety.

And if the chances of Bitter Peace, UK/US surrender were increased at least a bit it wouldn't be bad. I mean, what's the point of having them if you can only see them when you edit the files and not when you play.

Bump

I hate to see the old SMEP die out, but I wouldn't mind starting up a new team to handle with some minor mods to HoI2.

I've done a little bit of modding with the actual game (outside of events) with my Special Forces mod, but I would love to compare notes with people. Feel free to message me and we'll talk.

I liked SMEP. We shouldn't let it die just because one person can't do it anymore.

I have done plenty of events since EU2 came out :D

I would gladly help.

Atruejedi said:
1. Fix the problem with the Pact of Steel. At least, I've heard it was bugged.

Hmm, looking at it maybe it would help in making the peace commands different (in both type and the order of the commands)

Atruejedi said:
If you choose a certain option, word on the street is that Bitter Peace will not fire.

This seems to be caused by the tirpartate pact, should be easily fixable.

Atruejedi said:
2. Fix the Moving Industry to Siberia events. They don't fire!

Hmm, maybe it's something to do with the attack trigger?, I'll try it with the under_attack trigger instead and see if that fixes it.

Atruejedi said:
3. I've seen a problem in one of the Grand Campaigns (cannot remember which) when the event giving Eastern Poland to the Soviets will not fire. Germany, therefore, takes the entire cake.

I have already fixed this in my files, will post a solution after I get back later today.

Atruejedi said:
1. Fix the manpower bug.

Easily incorporated from the manpower thread.

Atruejedi said:
2. Have Germany influence Yugoslavia and invite them to the Axis, either by event or something. As it is now, Yugoslavia generally avoids Germany's wrath. I rarely see them join Axis or Allies.

This can be done via event (checking to see if both are AI that is)

Atruejedi said:
1. SMEP had an event to trigger Britain attacking Vichy. We could really use this one again.

An event making Vichy join the axis when the US enters the war could solve this.

Atruejedi said:
2. Another small event to perhaps consider is a Continuation War event.

No problemo

Atruejedi said:
3. Perhaps an event after the defeat or annexation of Great Britain where Germany returns the French coast to Vichy France.

I could do something like the old 'new order west' events that were made for HOI 1.

Atruejedi said:
4. An event for Japan's creation of Mengokuo in scenarios where Mengokuo does not exist (for example, the 1936 Road to War scenario)

Easily done, but would it hamper Japan's AI even more I wonder?

Atruejedi said:
Anyone have any other thoughts?

As I usually play the UK I am irked by both the usual non-entrance of Italy into the war and the early entrance of Japan (and thus the US)
I can written events to help with this - I have also written events to simulate the Afrikakorps (again only if Germany and Italy are AI)

I can get right onto these tonight if you want.

Well, it seems as if I am becoming the organizer of the new SMEP? I'd hate to steal G'Kar's project name, so...

What are your suggestions for a new name, people?

I will gladly ORGANIZE this project, however, I really have no editing skills, as it turns out. The most editing I've done is making Allenby 100 events for capturing Pacific Islands for the 1914 mod, which was mostly a copy and paste job. ;)

So, it has begun! Post suggestions, and "we" on the "team" will discuss it. Tux, el freako, I will send you each a PM momentarily. :)

[EDIT]Alright, sent you both the same message, check your personal message mailbox :)[/EDIT]

Last edited:
The fix for the event 'Eastern Poland to the Soviets' never firing is simple, just comment out the line
Code:
event = 101
by putting a # in front of it, like this
Code:
#event = 101

What was happening is that when Warsaw falls (event 101) poland seceeds it's eastern territories to the USSR, however if Germany has conquored some of them it cannot seceed them and Germany keeps them.
As the event trigger is set to NOT fire if event 101 has happened then Germany keeps whatever it has gained before Warsaw falls.

Last edited:
I dont't have the time to give 100% but I 'm on and can host the new smep on my server.

Maybe its useful to look at the old smep if there are some issues like the victory events for the allies we can use.
http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188485&page=1&pp=25

I can coordinate this with DAIM so that both mods are working best together . For example , if we realize the Mengucko event , I will remove mine for DAIM :)

Spocky

BIG UPDATE!

Hello everyone. I have released a "beta" of some of the work we've done. Two main event chains have been created and/or tweaked.

First, the surrender of Italy will now fire, and is less strict than was intended by Paradox. See the original post for more information.

Second, a new event chain has been created for the Bulgarian seizure of Constanta from Romania in 1940. There is even the possibility of a Third Balkan War! Actually, the Balkan War will happen everytime, as this is a file used for testing. Once again, see the original post.

Be warned, the zip file will replace romania.txt, hoi2.txt, and germany.txt, so BACK THAT ASS--, er, YOUR FILES UP!

DOWNLOAD THE FILE

We would really appreciate comments if you've tried the events... or even if you haven't!

Simply open up the console (by pressing F12) and fire "event 36" as Italy to try the new Italian surrender, or try as Bulgaria by firing "event 2710"

Fishing for replies. :( ;)

Last edited:
A moderator ought to establish a stickied thread that lists HOI II's various modifications. :)

If they were listed in alphabetical order and had links to their 'home' threads, then there wouldn't be a need to furiously bump them in order to get them noticed. When people have a mod that they have created, then they can post in the stickied thread to make it known that it exists.

This idea is so inspirational and sensible that it ought to be sent to a moderator. :nods:

Atruejedi said:
3. Once the land is distributed to Italy, Hungary, and Bulgaria, Germany creates Croatia out of...

Zagreb (382)
Bjelovar (455)
Osijek (454)

Croatia then gets an event that gives them Greater Croatia, which consists of...

Banja Luka (383)
Zenica (385)
Sarajevo (386)
Mostar (387)
Dubrovnik (388)

You might ask, why make it so complicated?

i. To create partisan problems for Croatia, forcing the Axis to pay attention to the Balkans.

4. Italy creates Montenegro as a puppet.

5. Germany occupies Slovenia and Serbia.

6. Finally, the entire Balkans region needs more partisan activity. Alot more. :D

Complex? Somewhat. Worth it? I'd say so. :)

Croatia will have 2% revolt risk in all ceded territory, unless you add additional events to raise partisan activity. Ceded provinces get 2% revolt risk.

Gjerg Kastrioti said:
Croatia will have 2% revolt risk in all ceded territory, unless you add additional events to raise partisan activity. Ceded provinces get 2% revolt risk.

Hey, thanks for the tip. I am a complete n00b when it comes to writing events. I just started to dive into it a few days ago. And yeah, I had rethought what I was going to do about it. I am going to, instead, create Croatia, then use the remove_core command and then raise the revolt risk. Alot less sloppy than my first method. Thanks for your advice! Infact, right this moment I am writing the Partition of Yugoslavia events. :cool:

Another big update. Lots of events have been created.

el freako was helping me with the more complex things, but he seems to have disappeared.

Ian Coccozza is using his writing skills to write up the descriptions to make them both historic, authentic, and entertaining.

Tux, if you are still interested in helping, I'd be very glad. I sent you a PM but you never replied... :(

If anyone else is interested in helping, leave a message! And, as always, words of encouragement are always welcome. :)