• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ampoliros

Europa Universalis Carnivore
2 Badges
Apr 30, 2004
  • Divine Wind
  • 500k Club
Hey dudes.

I was talking to Dane yesterday, and we discussed what might be a cool thing to do after this campaign.

We sort of developed an idea to relaunch the old "Diplomacy Universalis" campaign. That is a campaign where no country is fixed and people are instead shuffled about every week or two (based on luck). I´ve participated in only one such campaign, back in 2005. I fondly recall it. It was interesting and *very* dynamic.

It was also a lot less acrimonious. As everybody get´s moved around a lot nobody can form a very strong attachment with any one country. Consequently, defeats, gangs and backstabs don´t feel as painful as they do in a conventional campaign, where you can literally see months and months of work go up in flames if you´re unlucky.

Anyways, I was wondering if anybody might be interested in playing in such a campaign once the current one has been concluded.

I would absolutely love to play in a DU style game. Although I missed the original incarnation, I think the dynamic diplomacy would always keep the game fresh for all the players.

Sounds like it would be interesting and worth a try.

Any way I could persuade you guys to use the Interregnum mod? ;)

i did enjoy the Interregnum... Egypt was a nice country to play, but felt a bit underpowered with starting muslimtech and civil war that devided the country in 2 :p

However, im willing to play any EU2 mod

I am willing to use Interregnum if you desire.

I recall my last eu2 mp was with it, and Egypt was indeed the most underpowered one.

I'm wondering if Interregnum would be a good scenario to use the Diplomacy system on. On the one hand, at least in the 1400s it tends to have very elaborate event chains, which would be hard for a player to keep track of. On the other hand, usually by the mid-1500s most events and leader files have largely played out, leaving it more a case of who is stronger and more effective, rather than the merry-go-round of "who has the best leader today." Maybe Aberration would work better, assuming anyone out there even still has the mod.

It may also be worth considering giving For the Glory a try, to see if Pepsi's brilliant MP solution will work.

After some thinking i figured, im not very intrestead in DU way... reason? Well. same reason why i dont like subbing very much. Im afraid that if we keep swaing all the time, it will never feel like "my country". therefore, i would be much less focus and engaged in the game. Also, there would be a risk of players ruining a country, and go all kamikaze in wars. Since they will just move on to another country afterwards.

Im much more in favor for Interrgnum than DU.

After some thinking i figured, im not very intrestead in DU way... reason? Well. same reason why i dont like subbing very much. Im afraid that if we keep swaing all the time, it will never feel like "my country". therefore, i would be much less focus and engaged in the game. Also, there would be a risk of players ruining a country, and go all kamikaze in wars. Since they will just move on to another country afterwards.

Im much more in favor for Interrgnum than DU.

Your first point is well taken, but I don't think the second is likely. People don't fight wars like that because social pressure prevents them from doing so, not because they're afraid they'll ruin their country. People who fight wars like that will do it anyway, then just quit the campaign.

Just going to poke this to see if it gets some more attention.

We should both start thinking about what sort of campaign we want to play, and who else might be interested in joining.

I for one don't particularly mind which EU2 campaign-type we play. I would prefer we play the Interregnum scenario (vanilla map, alt-history startup with no majors), but I'm fine with a musical chairs-type game if that is the consensus preference. We may also want to consider FtG, in the event Pepsi's brilliant connection solution solves that problem as well.