• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

orko2020

Second Lieutenant
45 Badges
Aug 3, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
A minor query about a minor country. But still one that I think should be represented.

The Miskito (sometimes spelled Mosquito, not related to the insect though) are an indigenous group who live on the Caribbean coast of Nicaragua. Historically, from the 1600's to the 1890's, they've had their own kingdom, with their own administration, that aligned with the British and heavily depended on them. At some points during its history, the British established an official protectorate over the Miskito, with a superintendent who oversaw the kingdom, though British control over the Kingdom wasn't always as strong. The Miskito in turn were highly influenced by the British, and in the 1830's their king established the Anglican Church as the official state church of the Miskito and adopted a legal system based on the English one. Sometimes the Miskito Kingdom is presented as simply a colony of the UK, and the King nothing more than a puppet, however some more recent scholarship showed that they exercised quite a deal more agency than previously assumed. They would act mostly independently, though often in ways that support their British allies, and while they depended on the British the Brits also depended on them, and the Miskito were able to squeeze better terms out of them at times.

With that in mind, would the Miskito receive their own nation at the start date, possibly as a subject of Britain? IIRC in Victoria 2 they were simply incorporated into Central America, and in other games the region is fully controlled by the British.

• 4Like
Reactions:
If you look at the screenshot that shows South America in detail you can see a little sliver of red along the central american coastline. I think this is meant to be the Miskito Kingdom and it seems like it's probably a subject nation of GB at game start.

Edit: Or maybe fully controlled by GB. It's tought to tell from the screenshot!

• 2Like
Reactions:
If you look at the screenshot that shows South America in detail you can see a little sliver of red along the central american coastline. I think this is meant to be the Miskito Kingdom and it seems like it's probably a subject nation of GB at game start.

Edit: Or maybe fully controlled by GB. It's tought to tell from the screenshot!
It's the Miskito Kingdom, yep.

• 33Like
Reactions:
They would act mostly independently, though often in ways that support their British allies, and while they depended on the British the Brits also depended on them.
I had never heard about the mosquito before and dont want to be disrespectful.

However i think its very hard to believe victorian UK depended on the mosquito for anything

I had never heard about the mosquito before and dont want to be disrespectful.

However i think its very hard to believe victorian UK depended on the mosquito for anything
A better term may be "depended on in the region". The value of cooperative local leaders (or compradors if you are feeling less generous), is very high for an empire.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Ooh, I say we need an option to colonise the region and name it Poyais! And maybe install some sneaky Scott as its president.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions: