• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

blklizard

Field Marshal
28 Badges
Mar 7, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Victoria 2
I'm thinking of starting another AAR. Unlike the other three, this one will have a lot more plots and thus the pace will be a lot slower. I will still put the priority on the other three AARs and thus this one will be updated less often (every 3 days to every week).

There will be a lot of characters in this AAR. If you want to be one of the characters, then please PM me in this format:

Character name: _______

My first update will be in four days. If you want a character, remember to PM me before that. Thanks!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Difficulty: Hard
Lucky nations to Random
All other settings default
Start year: January 10, 1356
Mod: Death and Taxes v9.3

As mentioned in the title, I will be playing as Hungary. My goals are:

-Expand eastwards and fully utilize holy war
-Westernize
-Form Jagiellonion Nation (core in Mazovia, Vilna, Pecs, Bohemia, Krakow)
-dismantle HRE

Rules:
-no cheating (including no reloading)
-will only cancel missions if they are impossible
-did a little modification (crusades will only be 25% infamy and cleansing of heretics will only be 50% infamy)
-vassals and personal unions limited to 3 in total
-remain Catholic
-cannot declare war without a casus belli
-no forced personal union (only ones through royal marriage allowed)
-when called in by ally, play an active part in the war

Before 1650:
-no wars against Catholics (unless called into wars by allies or a mission)

Table of Contents

Note: The actual story starts at Section III. Sections I and II were trail runs I had trying to get a grasp of story telling and dialogue.

Section I

Prologue
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4

Chapter 1
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3

Chapter 2
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3

Chapter 3
-Part 1
-Part 2

Chapter 4
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3

Chapter 5
-Part 1
-Part 2

Chapter 6
-Part 1
-Part 2

Chapter 7
-Part 1
-Part 2

Chapter 8
-Part 1
-Part 2

Chapter 9
-Part 1
-Part 2

Chapter 10
-Part 1
-Part 2

Chapter 11

Chapter 12
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3

Chapter 13
-Part 1
-Part 2

Chapter 14
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3

Chapter 15

Section II

Chapter 16
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3

Chapter 17
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4
-Part 5

Chapter 18
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3

Chapter 19
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3

Chapter 20
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4
-Part 5
-Part 6

Chapter 21
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4
-Part 5
-Part 6
-Part 7
-Part 8
-Part 9

Chapter 22
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4
-Part 5
-Part 6
-Part 7

Chapter 23
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4
-Part 5

Chapter 24

Chapter 25
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4
-Part 5
-Part 6

Chapter 26
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4

Chapter 27
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4

Chapter 28
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4

Chapter 29
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4
-Part 5
-Part 6
-Part 7

Chapter 30
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4

Chapter 31
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3

Chapter 32
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4

Chapter 33
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4
-Part 5

Section III

Chapter 34

Chapter 35
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4
-Part 5
-Part 6
-Part 7
-Part 8

Chapter 36
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4
-Part 5

Chapter 37
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4
-Part 5

Chapter 38
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4
-Part 5

Chapter 39
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4
-Part 5
-Part 6
-Part 7
-Part 8
-Part 9
-Part 10
-Part 11

Chapter 40
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4
-Part 5
-Part 6
-Part 7
-Part 8
-Part 9
-Part 10
-Part 11
-Part 12

Chapter 41
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4
-Part 5
-Part 6
-Part 7
-Part 8
-Part 9
-Part 10
-Part 11
-Part 12

Chapter 42
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4
-Part 5
-Part 6
-Part 7
-Part 8
-Part 9
-Part 10
-Part 11
-Part 12
-Part 13
-Part 14

Chapter 43
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4
-Part 5
-Part 6
-Part 7
-Part 8
-Part 9

Chapter 44
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3

Chapter 45
-Part 1
-Part 2
-Part 3
-Part 4
-Part 5

Last edited:
A more interactive AAR from you, then? Sounds cool; your ability to juggle so many AARs impresses me. I might submit a character idea for you to play with, especially since I've been studying Hungary a lot recently (although essentially limited to the nation's 19th and early 20th century history).

A more interactive AAR from you, then? Sounds cool; your ability to juggle so many AARs impresses me. I might submit a character idea for you to play with, especially since I've been studying Hungary a lot recently (although essentially limited to the nation's 19th and early 20th century history).

I wouldn't call it more interactive, I'm just bad at making names and prefer other people do it for me :p. I will still be deciding on how the characters will do in the story. Later on, I might let people pick a few traits for their character. Until then, it's just name, gender and status. As for juggling AARs, I just enjoying it so much that I'm doing it during my free time. As for the characters, the D&T MOD does go up to the around 1910. So you might be of some help then.

Character name: Ranorrik Cato

First name Cato
Surname Ranorrik

born a son of a magistrate. I grew up poor. I falied at becoming a magistrate so one summer when I was 20 I took a trip to venice with my father. There I securred a loan from a bank and used this money to buy a brothel in pecs. I used my fathers connection to get all kind benifits from goverment and within a decade 2/3rds of the brotels in Pecs were owned by me.

Yes I am a self made plurocrat. Maybe I should become a merchant?

Thats for fate to decide.

Write me in

Character name: Ranorrik Cato

First name Cato
Surname Ranorrik

born a son of a magistrate. I grew up poor. I falied at becoming a magistrate so one summer when I was 20 I took a trip to venice with my father. There I securred a loan from a bank and used this money to buy a brothel in pecs. I used my fathers connection to get all kind benifits from goverment and within a decade 2/3rds of the brotels in Pecs were owned by me.

Yes I am a self made plurocrat. Maybe I should become a merchant?

Thats for fate to decide.

Write me in

I guess adding character history is fine. However, chances are that I would be changing the history to match the plot. Also, please pm me the details if possible. Thanks!

I am having a positive day so..........

you underestimate your wiritng skills. You are skilled sir, SKILLED ! at writing

Thanks for the compliment. I really don't think arguing will get us anywhere, lol. Anyways, I will be starting the prologue.

This will be the introduction that leads up to the actual update. Therefore, you still have time to pm me a character before I start the actual stories.

Prologue - part 1

prologue1.png

The year is 1356. The nation Hungary finds herself in the thick of things. Her location separates the Orthodox nations to the south and the Catholic nations to the north. Since the fourth crusade, a schism has been created between the Catholic church and the Orthodox church. Conflict could easily broke out between the two sides and Hungary would undoubtedly be caught in the very middle. However, the people of Hungary have no wish of such conflict. Having been living closer to Orthodox nations than many other Catholic nations, the Hungarian people have learned to, at the very least, tolerate the Orthodox religion. The ruling class, like the people, has no wish to fight those who they considered brothers. To pursue a path of peace with her southern neighbors, Hungary will find herself, to the disgust of other Catholic nations, be on good terms with the Orthodox nations.

Surrounded by many powerful enemies, one wrong move could spell the end for this nation. As a medium power in the region, Hungary has became a target for many neighbors, notably Austria and Bohemia. The relatively close relations with Poland make an alliance plausible. However, there is still much uncertainty regarding how the diplomacy will play out. With the ruling class looking to please the southern nations, Hungary will find herself walking an even more dangerous path. Unlike Hungary, other Catholic nations wouldn't think twice before attacking another Catholic nation. Therefore, it wouldn't be a surprise if any Catholic nation decided to attack Hungary while her back is turned.

Croatia, a relatively powerful nation southwest of Hungary, has been in personal union with Hungary for two and a half century. The two nations have fought side by side in many wars and prevailed through all those wars. However, the two nations have become more distant in recent years. There were rumors spreading about Croatian nobles plotting to free themselves from Hungary rule. While there still isn't any hard evidence, the rumors still managed to put a dent in the relations. The two nations, to other nations, appear to be inseparable. Should the news of the strained relations reach neighboring nations, there would be no doubt that the enemies of Hungary would take advantage of the situation. Facing this internal crisis, some wonder if the nation would be destroyed internally rather than by a foreign nation.

The vassal of Hungary, Transylvania, is a different story from Croatia. The people of Transylvania have longed to be incorporated into Hungary. Being a vassal has still distanced the two nations. Incorporation would no doubt make Hungary stronger. However, the slight instability might be the moment her enemy waited for to strike. As mentioned earlier, Hungary walks a dangerous path with caution needed at every step. With the existence of Transylvania, there is a buffer between Hungary and the Orthodox nations. If war must take place, there will be enough time for the Hungarian army to react to the threat. Facing many difficult decisions, the Hungarian ruling class would find themselves needing to time everything perfectly if they hope Hungary would free herself from her current perilous position.

Well, as Queen said in "Ogre Battle"...
The ogre men are coming out
From the two way mirror mountain
They're running up behind
And they're coming all about
Can't go east 'cause you gotta go south

Since I haven't actually tried D&T, I'm not exactly sure of the religious situation in 1356, but I'll be interested to see how you end up working through the politics.

Anyways, I think I will submit a character.

Name: Ferdinand Klaus von Aachen
Background: Barrelmaker from the northwest corner of the HRE who underwent significant migration. Currently living in Pressburg. Upper-lower-middle class income, doesn't have the guts to do anything illegal, definitely thinks himself better than the agricultural peasants of the countryside, probably of middling religiosity.

Since I haven't actually tried D&T, I'm not exactly sure of the religious situation in 1356, but I'll be interested to see how you end up working through the politics.

Here's the religious map mode. Thanks for the character. Expect some changes to him though.

hungarymap1.png

Nearly all nations south of Hungary are Orthodox. Poland has a few Orthodox provinces. Lithuania is Animist with quite a few Orthodox provinces (haven't seen them choosing Orthodox instead of Catholic though). If you have any other questions regarding this map, feel free to ask.

Below are some of the main settings for the stories.

Prologue - part 2

prologue6.png

Buda, in the province of Pecs, is the capital city of Hungary. This is a simple city that relies on agriculture. The main export of the city is grain which will be on high demand once wars are declared. Being a city that relies on agriculture, there weren't many people that were willing to stay at the city. Thousands from the province has already migrated elsewhere searching for a profession different from farming. As a result, the capital city has a relatively small population. The ruling class, with fewer people to rule over, has better control over policies. However, the small population also meant less taxes. Luckily, the people within the city were content with their simple lives.

prologue5.png

Kaposvár is the largest city in Somogy. This city, like Buda, relies on the export of grain. However, the people in this city are a lot poorer. The ruling class hasn't done anything to improve the living conditions of the poor. Thus, there is a lot of discontent among the populace. Rumors have been spreading around about how the people of Somogy wished to join the nation of Austria. Given that the province borders Austria, government officials cannot ignore the rumors. The king ordered a group of officials to investigate the situation under cover. The group of officials arrived in Kaposcár on January 10, 1356.

prologue3.png

Debrecen is the largest city in Partium. The city has one of the smallest populations in Hungary. The production of naval supplies had been hurting given that Hungary has no coastal provinces. As a result, unemployment is very high in the city. Over the years, the population, struggling to survive, began resorting to thieving and other crimes. As a result, Debrecen has become a city infested by criminals. The local ruling class, struggling to survive themselves, have been rumored to head many criminal organizations in the city.

prologue4.png

Arad, the largest city in Szolnok, produces naval supplies like Debrecen. The difference between the two city is the larger marketplace in Arad. The people of Arad, upon discovering the failing market of naval supplies, began to create a marketplace to keep people employed. While the marketplace in Arad is miniscule compared to those in Venice, the people there managed to earn decent money and live decent lives. Hoping to expand their market, some young people were sent to Venice to learn to be a merchant.

prologue2.png

Ersekujvar, largest city in the province of Ersekujvar, has one of the largest population in Hungary. Bordering Bohemia and Poland, the city has been a main focus for the ruling class. Efforts were made to improve the infrastructure of the city for better movement for troops. In addition, the Hungary military, every few months, were required to perform drills in the province. A military school was also built there and all promising Hungarian officers were required to study there.

Indeed, it was Moldavia I was most concerned about - while I think they're Orthodox in your average 1399 start, they're also a Polish vassal. Apparently the vassalhood didn't happen until 1387, though, so as long as you get to them before Poland or whoever, your window to the east should remain open.

I really like your writing style, I'll follow this.

I hope I won't disappoint you since the rest of the AAR will be in story mode and thus a different writing style.

Indeed, it was Moldavia I was most concerned about - while I think they're Orthodox in your average 1399 start, they're also a Polish vassal. Apparently the vassalhood didn't happen until 1387, though, so as long as you get to them before Poland or whoever, your window to the east should remain open.

In D&T, Moldavia is the vassal of Poland at 1356. However, they are not a nation I want to touch. Golden Horde isn't a nation I want to deal with early on. Plus, there have been many instances where Golden Horde declares war on Poland at the start of the game. As for why, they have truces with the Russian nations at the start.

Buda, in the province of Pécs.

Paradox....

:headshot:

But good luck:)

Thanks! :)

I hope I won't disappoint you since the rest of the AAR will be in story mode and thus a different writing style.

I've read some of your other AARs too, so don't worry, you won't disappoint me.

I've read some of your other AARs too, so don't worry, you won't disappoint me.

Then, welcome aboard! If you feel like it, give me a character.

Prologue - part 3

prologue7.png

King Louis walks down the hallway to his study. He has walked down this very hallway for nearly 14 years. However, this day is a very special day. Since his father's death, a box was hidden within his study. Despite being curious about what the box holds, Louis has managed to restrain himself from peeking. Over the years, Louis has forgotten about the box. His father, in his deathbed, told him to open the box 10 years after his death. Yet, the box has remained hidden for another 4 years. It was a pure coincidence that a noble managed to remind Louis of this secret. Louis cannot remember what the noble said as his mind tried to figure out what he would find. Before he realized, Louis stands before his study. After looking left and right to find out that no one has followed him, he entered his study and closed the door shut. The lock of the door was broken by a thief a month ago and the locksmith has yet to fix it. Or rather, Louis has been too lazy to hire a locksmith.

Taking a deep breathe, Louis lifts the carpet to reveal a trapdoor under it. Next, he heads over to the bookshelf. After going carefully through the books, he finally finds the one he was looking for. The book, one of his father's favorite, looks quite ordinary. It is a picture book that shows the Hungarian myths. Louis' father, when Louis was still an infant, often joked that there are two keys in the book covers. One leads to the upper world while the other one leads to the underworld. Thinking back, Louis laughed at his gullibility when he was young. On his death bed, his father told Louis to find the key on the front cover. Feeling the front covers, he finds a key tucked inside. As he was trying to find a way to get the key out, he discovers that there was a second key in the back cover. Louis is confused as his father never mentioned a second key. He begins to wonder about what his father said when he suddenly hears a sound from the door. He quickly turns around and there wasn't anyone. When he walks up to the door, he knew someone was there. He is sure he closed the door behind him and yet there was a small opening. Louis wonders if it was really a coincidence with the noble that reminded him of the secret.

Knowing that someone else is after what's inside the box, Louis quickly puts the book and the box in his chest. After locking the chest, he thinks about his next move. He knows that, whoever it was outside the door, the two items wouldn't be safe if they stayed in his room. Louis decides that he needs someone he can trust within the court. He walks over to his desk and looks through the list of nobles serving in his court. After going through the list carefully, Louis finds a name he knows he can trust. Given the urgency of the situation, Louis heads outside his study to call the guards to help him with the chest. Two guards, near the stairway, were chatting when Louis arrives. Louis orders them to help him with a chest. When the three men arrived, they saw the study trashed and the chest, containing the box and book, is gone. Louis orders the men to search the palace for his chest. He looks around but he couldn't find any clues to who did this or even how the chest was carried out without them noticing. Louis starts to wonder what secrets the two keys open and who wants the secrets that badly.

Last edited:
Oooh, interesting! Perhaps that "thief" who broke the lock might be the same noble who reminded him of the box.. :p

Prologue - part 4

(Arad, Hungary)

A merchant, with his eldest son, enters a tavern to get a drink. When they entered the tavern, they see two unfamiliar faces. The merchant walks up to the bartender while his son sits down at a table.

"Ed, my son and I need a drink."

"If it isn't the wealthy merchant. What brings you here?"

"I wouldn't be here if I am wealthy."

"Will it be the same thing as yesterday?"

"Of course, Ed. I doubt neither of us could take anything stronger."

"You could try. It's only slightly more expensive."

"I'm a poor merchant. I can't afford anything like that."

"Crying poor. Old habits die hard."

"Very funny. By the way, who are the two new guys?"

"They say they are travelers. I highly doubt that. I wouldn't pick a fight with them though. They are armed."

"Armed?"

"They did a good job concealing their weapons but I still noticed."

The merchant's son walks over.

"Father, those two guys have their eyes on us since we entered. I have a bad feeling about this."

"Ed, I think the two of us will pass on our drinks today. Maybe tomorrow."

As the merchant and his son turn around, they find the two travelers blocking their way.

Merchant: Excuse us. We really must head off now.
Traveler 1: My name is Sam. I apologize but we have apparently forgot to bring ducats. You wouldn't be able to spare some, would you?
Merchant: I wouldn't mind sparing a few ducats.

As the merchant reaches into his pocket for a few ducats, Sam pulls out a dagger out of his coat and stabs the merchant in the chest. When the merchant's son tries to save his father, the other traveler wrestles him to the ground and stabs him with his own dagger. Before the bartender could register what has happened, the two travelers have already left the tavern. Rushing over to check on the merchant and his son, Ed slips on the pool of blood. Trying to get up, Ed sees the expressionless eyes of the merchant staring at him. He doesn't need any other clues to know that the merchant has already died. The bartender then hears sounds coming from the merchant's son. He moves closer.

"Speak louder! I cannot hear you."
With his last breathe, the merchant's son mutters the name "Fieldings."

Ed, knowing that both men are dead, calls some friends next door to help get the bodies out of the tavern. While his friends were carrying the bodies out, Ed quickly writes a message for the merchant's younger son. In the message, Ed includes any much detail as possible of the incident. Once the bodies were carried out, Ed closes the tavern and heads to a nearby shop to get the message sent by a pigeon. After that, he heads back home. However, he was ambushed on his way home at a alleyway and his body is found the very next day.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There is still half a day to get a character. I will be starting the first update tomorrow.