The Mess Of Italy And What To Be Done

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another aside on this, its really sad that when republics do get added back in as playable, we won't be getting Amalfi, as it is the city in the Naples County. :/

before anything else they need to fix the f***in pope with his 42 thousand mwrcenaries and massive pile of gold. It makes playing in and near the peninsula a massive pain in the rear.

Also thr cultural setup coild he reworked. I'm not really a fan of the new culture/tech system tbh.

• 2Like
Reactions:
before anything else they need to fix the f***in pope with his 42 thousand mwrcenaries and massive pile of gold. It makes playing in and near the peninsula a massive pain in the rear.

Also thr cultural setup coild he reworked. I'm not really a fan of the new culture/tech system tbh.
I like the culture/tech system, but some don't make sense... Cisalpine? That wasn't used since the Roman times, to define Gualish owned Italy.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yeah I’ve seen a few but like you said VERY few compared to CK2. But the whole culture name change isn’t even in game at all anymore, if your playing as say English Henry your name SHOULD change to Italian Enrico if you switch culture but it no longer does at all anywhere.
Yes, I noticed this quite early on so decided to have a look through the files.

They're redone the name systems in CK III, which I assume is related to the fact they now have to localize all names separately due to the way they appear dynamically in events and decisions. So yeah, now names are linked in a separate file and won't change as your culture changes.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yes, I noticed this quite early on so decided to have a look through the files.

They're redone the name systems in CK III, which I assume is related to the fact they now have to localize all names separately due to the way they appear dynamically in events and decisions. So yeah, now names are linked in a separate file and won't change as your culture changes.
That explains it, I really hope they get that taken care of and have everything localized properly this time. Some names wouldn’t match up in the history files too but other cultural forms of a name would, this used to irritate me to no end.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That explains it, I really hope they get that taken care of and have everything localized properly this time. Some names wouldn’t match up in the history files too but other cultural forms of a name would, this used to irritate me to no end.
In theory they could add lots more name links quite easily now, as they're all ordered by name in a single file, e.g.

Code:
alan_male = { Alan Alain Allan }

The problem is that this means they're never going to switch as you change culture, as that file only links names (spellings) - the game doesn't know which name is associated with which culture, and so they won't change in game.

I understand why they've done it this way, but (like a lot of things) it seems like a step backwards.

• 2Like
Reactions:
In theory they could add lots more name links quite easily now, as they're all ordered by name in a single file, e.g.

Code:
alan_male = { Alan Alain Allan }

The problem is that this means they're never going to switch as you change culture, as that file only links names (spellings) - the game doesn't know which name is associated with which culture, and so they won't change in game.

I understand why they've done it this way, but (like a lot of things) it seems like a step backwards.
Wow that completely defeats the purpose of having culture equivalent names then, you’ll end up having a “King Henry I” 10 times because it can no longer read that there the same name. It also holds down your immersion to some extent.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I will add that the House of Tusculum should be represented in-game at both starts. It boggles my mind that they are represented in CK2 as barons, but are non-existent in CK3 even though baronies are actually represented in the map and, even more so, there is a county just south of Rome covering the Alban hills under Papal control which could have easily been made to represent Tusculum. They were the most important Papal/Roman nobility in the time period, dominating the papacy for centuries and being influential in Italy altogether, that I simply cannot understand why they are not in the game.

(and to any readers of my AAR who might have come across this post: I’m deeply sorry, but life got in the way. I still intend to finish the AAR, but it’s on hiatus until next year at least)
Search Tusculum in the suggestions forum. I uploaded a database fix mod for Paradox in which I made the family landed and playable in the province you suggest.

Interest from them: zero.

Reactions:
Search Tusculum in the suggestions forum. I uploaded a database fix mod for Paradox in which I made the family landed and playable in the province you suggest.

Interest from them: zero.

I’ve had to download so many mods to try and get the game world just halfway playable and it’s still not really there. I’m exhausted having to console command 90% of the world before I can even play because it’s that bad, and Italy missing so much content and depth is really a prime example of that. I’m not sure how they let the Welf situation as is considering it jacks northern Italy on a few levels. The Tusculum family being completely left out is just another oversight of adding Italian depth. I’m actually going to be taking a break from CK3 until it’s patched, I hate having to say that but the entire game irritates me as I’m playing and it’s out weighing the positives of the game at the moment.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I’ve had to download so many mods to try and get the game world just halfway playable and it’s still not really there. I’m exhausted having to console command 90% of the world before I can even play because it’s that bad, and Italy missing so much content and depth is really a prime example of that. I’m not sure how they let the Welf situation as is considering it jacks northern Italy on a few levels. The Tusculum family being completely left out is just another oversight of adding Italian depth. I’m actually going to be taking a break from CK3 until it’s patched, I hate having to say that but the entire game irritates me as I’m playing and it’s out weighing the positives of the game at the moment.
I agree, but Italy isn't even the worst of it. Look at the list of missing rulers I added in that test mod - and that's only the first batch. I was going to do a second lot of fixes if Paradox added those, but that's looking doubtful now.

Most of the new provinces they've added in Europe are held by the wrong people.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I would like to see Italian rulers struggle between loyalty to the emperor and the pope, as they essentially did for hundreds of years when Italy was divided between Guelphs and Ghibellines

• 2Like
Reactions:
I also made a post about this, but I only spoke about the southern areas. Firstly, Palermo definitely needs to be adjusted to reflect the size and importance of the city. Napoli also needs to expanded, it was also a very large city at the time. In my post I mentioned that the Sicilian cultured present in the south, needs to be switched to a Neapolitan culture. Only the Duchy of Calabria should have sicilian culture, as the language is of the same family. While, Neapolitan and the Sicilian language are of different branches of language.

Regarding the Duchy of Spoleto, I think Abruzzo should be left inside that duchy. It was historical part of the duchy during the time period. But Lanciano however, shouldn't even be a county let alone part of the duchy of Spoleto. Lanciano should changed to the county of Molise (which received a lot of development under Lombard and Norman rule). Lanicano is only a city (Not worth a whole county, Molise is far more deserving), and it's not even part of Spoleto it was and always has been part of Apuglia. I think there are now two options here; first being that you created a new duchy of Abruzzo that includes Abruzzi and Molise, secondly you keep Aburzzi part of Spoleto, but add Molise (formerly Lanciano) to the duchy of Benevento. Also for some reason, Benevento already has the city of Isernia as a holding, with Isneria being a province with the region of Molise.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I agree, but Italy isn't even the worst of it. Look at the list of missing rulers I added in that test mod - and that's only the first batch. I was going to do a second lot of fixes if Paradox added those, but that's looking doubtful now.

Most of the new provinces they've added in Europe are held by the wrong people.
This doesn’t make any sense honestly, they had things relatively ok in CK2. Don’t get me wrong they had the rulers of Milan starting out as the d’Este dynasty which they changed correctly in CK3 but screwed that up with Welf and Folco NOT being a d’Este so bye bye to that dynasty that you’ll never see. What I’m beginning to really gather is they focused to heavily on streamlining this game that they left out a lot of historical accuracy content, I mean what is there 4 or 5 separate families actually in power in all of Italy in CK3? Half of the region is owned by certain characters which make playing there boring to say the least.

Reactions:
@sandrodoe

What do you think about adding Gaeta as a county next to Napoli, or do you think it's better as a barony?

It was actually a duchy at one point I believe, but obviously not a very big one. It was something I considered a while ago before I lost interest in the game (at least for now).

There are lists of the dukes of Gaeta and so they'd be an interesting Lombard-Norman family to have playable I think.

I would like to see Italian rulers struggle between loyalty to the emperor and the pope, as they essentially did for hundreds of years when Italy was divided between Guelphs and Ghibellines
Paradox be like: I'll give HRE confederate partition so Empire of Italia will come up the first time an Emperor dies.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
I also made a post about this, but I only spoke about the southern areas. Firstly, Palermo definitely needs to be adjusted to reflect the size and importance of the city. Napoli also needs to expanded, it was also a very large city at the time. In my post I mentioned that the Sicilian cultured present in the south, needs to be switched to a Neapolitan culture. Only the Duchy of Calabria should have sicilian culture, as the language is of the same family. While, Neapolitan and the Sicilian language are of different branches of language.

Regarding the Duchy of Spoleto, I think Abruzzo should be left inside that duchy. It was historical part of the duchy during the time period. But Lanciano however, shouldn't even be a county let alone part of the duchy of Spoleto. Lanciano should changed to the county of Molise (which received a lot of development under Lombard and Norman rule). Lanicano is only a city (Not worth a whole county, Molise is far more deserving), and it's not even part of Spoleto it was and always has been part of Apuglia. I think there are now two options here; first being that you created a new duchy of Abruzzo that includes Abruzzi and Molise, secondly you keep Aburzzi part of Spoleto, but add Molise (formerly Lanciano) to the duchy of Benevento. Also for some reason, Benevento already has the city of Isernia as a holding, with Isneria being a province with the region of Molise.
Yeah how they’ve left Palermo and Naples is highly disappointing, I also agree with the split between Neapolitan and Sicilian but sadly I highly doubt they’ll go that deep for Sicily. I also agree with Molise and Lanciano, I just know something needs to be done with that area because it’s not right on many angles.

Almost forgot to ask you all this as well, have any of you noticed the fact that probably 15 or more counties are owned by bishops in Italy? There’s literally 3 I believe counties just in Milan owned by priests, and Genoa itself is a bishop county. I mean thats what, 9 or 10 of your missing Italian nobility families right there.

Reactions: