• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Solo?

Major
39 Badges
May 6, 2005
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Iron Cross
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
This mod includes 100+ new mercenary units for all religion groups, with a variety of unit compositions and sizes (and therefore prices). I wanted to allow the player and AI greater choice and to recruit mercenary units proportional to their income. If you are a count in Bavaria you can afford to recruit a small band of Bohemian knights in times of need and conversely if you're the Emperor of Byzantium you can splash out on the grandest and largest mercenary companies available.

All coats of arms have been "borrowed" from CK1 modifications or are pathetic attempts of my own. Regarding the latter, if anyone with more artistic talent than me and software better than paint is willing to create any CoA's I will happily add them to the mod. Also, I hope people will post suggestions for nation specific or glaringly absent historical mercenary companies.

Below are images showing the now vastly increased availability of mercenaries for each region:

West

East

South

Here is an image of Captain Amalric of the famed Knights of the Badger (with poorly drawn badger CoA):

Below is a link to a stand alone version for vanilla CK2. I haven't tested it with any other sub-mods, so I have no idea if they will be compatible.

DOWNLOAD LINK

Anyone is free to steal anything from this mod if they wish to.

Last edited:
Sounds promising with all the merc groups. For what it is worth I suggest you release the merc as a stand alone version. I think it would be better over all given the design philosophy of nearly all the other projects active right now.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll release a stand alone version soon. I'm still trying to get the "dependency" option to work so my sub-mod extends the files of other, fuller mods rather than replacing them.

Additionally, details about the new units (pics to would be nice) such as size, group, function -etc.. would really be nice.

Sorry guys, I thought I'd cracked it today but am suffering a very frustrating and perplexing ctd. Hopefully I'll have found a solution by tomorrow.

Sorry guys, I thought I'd cracked it today but am suffering a very frustrating and perplexing ctd. Hopefully I'll have found a solution by tomorrow.

Thanks in advance! Btw I also prefer to use small mods myself, because there are some stuff what I don't like in the major mods like BGA. :) I am wondering if I can run this + rising empires in the same time, or I will have to edit some files for it?

Huzzah! Success! Those pesky "Ghilmen" (a new muslim mercenary company for 0.4) were missing from the static_modifiers text file. Ah, how the slightest error can cost you hours of teeth grinding frustration. Watch this space for version 0.1!

As stated in the OP I would also love to hear suggestions for nation specific mercenary companies and someone with artistic tendencies to create some better CoA's.

I would also like to know if there is a historic basis for creating some more knight heavy companies (or improve the current knightly companies) consisting mostly of several hundred heavy horse. At present even the grandest mercenary companies are sorely lacking in horsemen.

Last edited:
Version 0.1 released.

Thanks! :)

*edit*
Arghhhhhhh....the mod uses landed_titles.txt. This file is also used by Rising Empires and the Prince and the Thane mods....How can I run this + rising empires at least in the same time? I find it annoying that we can't run more mods together because they all use the same files. :confused:
Isn't it possible to create different .txt files like landed_titles2.txt and use that for X mod and use landed_titles3.txt for Y mod?...or this mod modifies the same lines like the rising empires mod in the landed_titles.txt file?

You can copy and paste my changes into the Rising Empires landed_titles text file. Search for "d_humble_hedge_knights" in my landed_titles file, click on the next line above the name and copy everything from there to the bottom of "d_coming_storm". Paste all that into the same location in the Rising Empires landed_titles file.

You can copy and paste my changes into the Rising Empires landed_titles text file. Search for "d_humble_hedge_knights" in my landed_titles file, click on the next line above the name and copy everything from there to the bottom of "d_coming_storm". Paste all that into the same location in the Rising Empires landed_titles file.

Thanks. :)