• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
XII.​

[Khorasan Province. Third siege of the city of Merv.]

[The year is 490.]

[Since the past year, the war between Persia and Hephthal has been brutal.]

[Akhshunwar had managed to take the city of Merv, but at great cost to Hephthal forces. A constant stream of troops had to be sent constantly from the Pa-ti-yen and Herat province to reinforce the siege as Persian forces battered his camp with wave after wave of forces. In the end, Akhshunwar's siege was successful, but at great cost to the Hephthalites' manpower.]

[Then, as his forces marched out from Merv to move against Kerman province, they were ambushed by an enormous force originating from the Meched provincial capital.]

[The resulting battle was the first that Akhshunwar would lose in the war.]

[Like Ankara, he retreated north, in shame...]

Akhshunwar: That loss could have been avoided!

Khingila: No war is perfect.

[Akhshunwar had arrived at Bukhara, and soon after, Khingila and Ankara's forces came. The former, from fighting off Persian troops attempting to retake Baluchistan, and the latter from a campaign defeating Persian raiders moving about the Kingdom's northern territories. Akhshunwar reported his defeat, and expected to be reprimanded. Like Ankara, though, Khingila reminded them him of the tenacity of the Persian army and repeated that they were not to be taken lightly.]

[Afterwards, Khingila commanded that both Ankara and Akhshunwar's forces will merge with his own and march onto Khorasan, and break the third siege of Merv. This time, the siege was run by the Persians. The Hephthalites brought thirty-thousand infantry against the Persian Empire's twenty-thousand men.]

[On the path to Merv, Akhshunwar constantly muttered to himself how he was going to redeem himself.]

Akhshunwar: Damn the Persians... They'll definitely pay...!

Khingila: Why do you stress yourself so much? I was nearly defeated at Kalat, myself.

Akhshunwar: That's exactly why. We've been fighting too evenly with these opponents, with defeat rearing its ugly head so much. I am aware that we still have the advantage as we're in possession of several of the Persian Empire's territories while they have none of ours, but it... irritates me that we have not had a decisive victory for the past two years.

Khingila: Do you expect them all to be General Agra?

Akhshunwar: ... I suppose that's too much to ask.

[The Hephthal monarch roared with laughter. Akhshunwar chuckled lightly along with him.]

Khingila: Akhshunwar... Why do you serve me?

[Akhshunwar was rather taken aback by this question.]

Akhshunwar: H... Have I done something to question my loyalty to the king?

Khingila: Ha! Nothing of the sort. I've come to see you as something of a brother, Akhshunwar. But... You never did give me a reasoning for why a young Khwarazmite warrior clawed his way through the ranks of the Hephthal Elites to swear fealty to a man such as myself.

Akhshunwar: There was nothing for an urchin wandering the streets of Urgench.

Khingila: Yet you had many friendships at Urgench...

[Other unfortunate, orphaned boys at the Khwarazm capital with who'd been his companions throughout his time there... Unlike Akhshunwar, though, they had no martial skill that could allow them the ability to improve their status.]

Akhshunwar: I did, my lord...

Khingila: ... I see.

[The two remained silent on their march to Merv.]

[Then, when the Hephthalite host moved into a wide valley, Akhshunwar sighted the Persians, charging at them from a far distance. He called out to the Elites to prepare for battle. He took it upon himself to be at the head of the forces, the only one other than Khingila that was on horseback.]

Khingila: Beat them back to Nishabur!

Akhshunwar: For the glory of Hephthal!

[There came a defeaning cry from the Elites as they charged to meet the Persian army. The initial volley of arrows from the Sassanid forces did nothing to deter their boisterous foes, and soon swords and spears clashed with each other in a bloody havoc. Akhshunwar cut down nearly a dozen enemy troops on his steed within the first few minutes, but the Persians retaliated by slaying his horse.]

Akhshunwar: Of course.

[This was groused under his breath as he felt his ride buckle under him. Now on his feet, his curved sword-- an excellent blade taken from the Gupta imperial treasury-- sang in the air, slicing through the throats of several more Persian infantry. As the battle progressed, he would occasionally glance towards Khingila's direction to see if his king was safe...]

[During one of these fleeting swivels, a Persian coward cut his side with a knife. Growling, Akhshunwar was overcome by rage and doubled his efforts in wading through the Persian legion...]

[Akhshunwar breathed laboriously, leaning on his bloodied sword as it was thrust into the ground. The adrenaline slowly left his body, and he took this time to focus. He had spent the last while carving out the enemy, as the excessive line of lifeless Persian bodies behind him indicated. He'd lost track of time, but he'd managed to realize that the battle was over. The Persians had been routed, but many Hephthalites had also been lost...]

Akhshunwar: All in a day's work...

[He pulled the sword out from the ground, and wiped the blood off clean with a scarf. Sheathing it, he took out a cloth to dress his wound... His surroundings were still somewhat a haze as he stumbled away...]

[Then he noticed a number of Hephthalites in a circle.]

Akhshunwar: ...!

[He was suddenly possessed by a great fear. His mind cleared quickly, and he ran to the gathering... A man was at the center of it... Akhshunwar shoved aside his fellows to reach him... The Hephthal Elites made way as he kneeled over him...]

Akhshunwar: No!

[He gasped at the sight before him. Khingila lay on the floor, coughing up blood. He'd been stabbed several times. The wounds were grievous.]

Akhshunwar: My lord, what happened?!?

Khingila: *cough!* The work... *hack!* Of some Persian bastards... *wheeze!*

Akhshunwar: Don't speak! Save your strength while we move y--

Khingila: There is... There is nothing that can save me, Akhshunwar... Steel yourself... *cough!* I leave... My family... My kingdom...! In your care... One... Who I would call... My brother. *wheeze...*

[As the last gasp of life left him, Akhshunwar's face contorted with both rage and anguish. He observed at length the deathly peace of the Hephthal monarch's face. Then he reared back his head and screamed in agony. The resulting echo haunted the very ends of the valley...]

[Khingila I has perished.]

[I've lost Khingila, one of my awesome-stat leaders. Without him, who knows how this war'll play out?]

Duke of Wellington: Oh definitely. Frigging Persians. I like them better in 1492. :p

XIII.

[Urgench. Capital of the Khwarazmite Kingdom.]

[The year is 458.]

[Khwarazm, a tributary state to the Uar hordes to the east. For the past few years, however, the Uar have come into conflict with other tribes. Old Man Cheng, a ceramics trader from Wei China that often peddled his wares in cities on the Silk Road trade routes, told the young children living on the streets of Urgench that the strongest of the opposing tribes were called the Xiong in his language. Urgench's street urchins preferred to call them "Red Huns", for the oft-reddish color of their peoples' skin.]

Delir: What does "Xiong" mean, anyway?

[One of the boys gathered around Cheng was Delir, one of the de facto leaders of the homeless Urgench boys. Delir was regarded among his peers as being incredibly sneaky, which was respected as he often robbed food and money from merchants passing through Khwarazm which he would distribute to the other children.]

Cheng: It means "Western Barbarians" in my homeland's tongue.

Akhshunwar: Well, that doesn't work. The "Xiong" are to the east of us.

[The other leader was Akhshunwar, who was thought to be intelligent even by the standards of adults. He was also very strong for his age, able to take on men much larger than himself. In times when Delir was caught red-handed in his thievery and unable to escape, it was often Akhshunwar that saved him. His eventual goal was to make it out of Urgench, move south, and find work as a warrior in Persia.]

Cheng: Well, whatever, that's your choice.

Delir: Is the horde in-fighting going to reach this place?

Cheng: In-fighting? Not all of the hordes are the same, boy, don't be stupid.

Akhshunwar: I doubt the Uar want any harm to come to this city. After all, the king pays them quite a lot and does all the work of administration.

[Delir's face burned. As always, Akhshunwar knew a lot more than Delir did, and showed it. Cheng threw Akhshunwar a look.]

Cheng: You shouldn't be so optimistic either, boy. War has a way of spreading rapidly. But enough of that, are you streetrats going to buy anything or not?

Delir: Ha! No~!

Cheng: Well then, get out of here! And give me back my jar when you're at it!

[Delir thought his pilfering had gone undetected, but apparently, he was wrong. Now that he'd been detected, it would be a good idea to oblige or Cheng would call the city guard on them. He handed it over.]

Cheng: You think I'm stupid enough not to notice, boy? Hmph!

Akhshunwar: You sure look it, Old Man. I mean, it took you long enough to figure out Delir had that jar. Not to mention, who would buy something like that? It looks so dumb with all those stumpy-headed people! You sell dumb-looking stuff! You're dumb!

Delir: Haha, good one!

sty--Jin-Jar.jpg

[One of Cheng's dumb-looking jars.]​

Cheng: Why you--

[Old Man Cheng swung at the children with his cane. He missed, and the boys taunted him for it while scampering away from the market. Cheng waved his cane threateningly in the air.]

Cheng: Come back here so I can hurt you!

[Outside the walls of Urgench, two riders approached from the east. The two of them were clad in heavy wrappings from head to toe, to shield themselves from the heat of the desert sun. They reared their horses to stop before the gates, as the Khwarazm king's guards approached them with spears pointed at them. When it was apparent that the two riders were not there to fight, but simply to enter the city, the biggest of the gate guards approached the rider at the front.]

Guard: State your business.

Traveler: We wish to enter Urgench and escape the heat. Will you allow us to do that?

Guard: The king is not letting any suspicious foreigners enter the city at this time.

Traveler: Even suspicious foreigners...

[The rider held out in his left hand some glistening objects.]

Traveler: ... Who have coin?

Guard: Hmm...

[The guard swiftly grabbed the coins from the rider's hand. In order to test the authenticity of the legal tender in his hand, he took one and bit on it. Satisfied, he and the rest of the guards stepped aside.]

[As the travelers passed through Urgench's gates, the one at the front pulled back his hood a little to get a better look at the city. The accompanying traveler asked him if the city was favorable, and the reply came after a moment of observation.]

Khingila: ... I think it will work for us.

[Flashback! Bet you weren't expecting that.]

Last edited:
Duke of Wellington: I hear that. Hail the almighty ducat! :cool:

Fingal: Welcome, and thanks!

CatKnight: Hehe. I was tempted to write in the guards squabbling among each other for how the coin'd be spent, but eventually decided nahh.

XIV.​

[The past. Streets of Urgench.]

Boy 1: Hey, they're back!

Boy 2: Akhshunwar! Delir!

[Delir, Akhshunwar, and the group of children that had been with them at Cheng's booth return to an unassuming alleyway tucked in-between an inn and a residential abode. Waiting for them are a larger gathering of homeless Urgench of similar age. Having been chasing each other around, sitting on old crates, or resting on worn blankets, those who were not tired immediately gathered around the arrivals.]

Boy 1: So, did you guys bring anything?

Delir: No.

Akhshunwar: I'm afraid not.

Boy 2: Aww... If we don't get money or food soon...

Delir: We'll find someone else! There's got to be dumber people out there with coin to steal...

Akhshunwar: We've got to avoid the markets for now, until new merchants come by. They recognize our faces already.

Delir: Well, we can try the inn, but Behboud probably doesn't have many patrons...

[Akhshunwar nods, and the two of them prepare to leave when another boy runs in.]

Boy 3: Did you guys see the newcomers?

Akhshunwar: Is it another passing caravan?

Boy 3: No, but I saw that they had a lot of coin. They even paid off the guards to get through the gates. Best of all, there's only two of them so it should be easy pickings.

Delir: I can smell the bread already...

[Delir took a whiff of the phantom odor of a loaf from a bakery. Sniggering to himself in delight, Akhshunwar had to smack him to get him out of his illusion. Once he was sure that his pilfering partner was paying attention, Akhshunwar asked more questions.]

Akhshunwar: Where can we find these two?

Boy 3: They were heading in the direction of the king's palace.

Akhshunwar: Were they actually going there?

Boy 3: I'm not sure, Akhshunwar.

Akhshunwar: What do they look like?

Boy 3: They might be warriors of the hordes, but I can't tell. They have skin like Persians, and they're armed, but their horses don't look like they were raised in the south...

Akhshunwar: Even if they've got weapons, we'll take our chances. If we succeed, they won't be able to pay the sentinels to round us up. The rest of you stay here while Delir and I-- Delir? Hey, wait!

[The other boy had already left. Sighing, Akhshunwar ran after him...]

Hi, I'm Akhshunwar. They tell me I'm an artist.

bagofcoins.png

They never said I was a good one.

This is the money we're after. We're going to rob its owners blind.

... Well, he doesn't have the coins out like that, I'm just hoping for gold so I drew them.

tehplan.png

The plan was simple.

One guy's distracted because he's calling out the palace guards.

The other guy watching the horses looks slower even than me, so Delir's going to grab the pouch on the horses and run, while I distract the guy.

triumph.png

Akhshunwar, you're a genius.

Ha, the other guy saw Delir but none of them can catch up to him.

Bwahahaha. My plan is flawless.

Oh wait.

notatriumph.png

They're going after me!

Run, run! Curse my ten-year-old, not-as-fast-as-a-real-pickpocketer legs mrrrrff!!​

Akhshunwar: Let me go!

Ankara: Not until you tell us where your little friend's hiding!

Khingila: Ankara, why can't you hold him down??

Ankara: I'm trying, but he's a nasty little rat!

[This was not the kind of duty he had in mind. As one of the few loyal to Khingila's faction among the Hephthalites, he expected to be leading battles amongst the hordes and establishing Khingila as lord of them all, not helping him 'establish a base of operations' and struggle with some whelps in a foreign city.]

Akhshunwar: I said, let-- me-- go!

Ankara: Oof!

[He was soon found himself surprised at Akhshunwar's strength, as the whelp's incredibly aggressive attempts to free himself led to Ankara getting slammed into a wall. Grunting, his hold on the boy lightened and Akhshunwar used this opportunity to throw his captor off. Khingila moved to grab him again... Then stiffened in place. Akhshunwar threw him a look before running past him.]

Ankara: What the hell are you doing!?

Khingila: ...

Ankara: Dammit, you fool!

[Ankara tries to run after the escaping whelp, but Khingila grabs him by the shoulder.]

Khingila: Stop! Did you see his face?

[Akhshunwar glares at them one last time before he is out of sight. Rather than showing any anger in turn, Ankara simply looks shocked by the same thing that stayed Khingila.]

Ankara: K... Kamvar?

Khingila: The resemblance is uncanny.

Ankara: ... It has to be just a coincidence...

[Shameless parody of phargle's most excellent AAR, with apologies to him. And who the hell is Kamvar? And when the hell am I going to get back to something that relates to gameplay? Well, I can answer the last question. The next entry will be the last one based in this flashback before we return to the present.]

Last edited:
Tskb18: Glad to hear it. I'd hate to be punished through lost readers for having too much pun. ;)

Duke of Wellington: That question'll be answered soon.

Fingal: Believe me when I say I enjoyed it. One of the running gags I immediately grew to adore in phargle's brilliant "Knud Knýtling, Prince of Denmark (and other assorted tales)" was the simple sentence, "The plan was simple."

XV.​

[The past. Streets of Urgench.]

Delir: So... The plan was more or less a success.

Akhshunwar: Yes.

Delir: ... That was your cue to say something smart. Like, uh...

Akhshunwar: "It was more or less a success in that it was more of a lesser success than I'd hoped?"

Delir: Exactly! You made my head hurt, by the way.

Akhshunwar: I can't believe I was stupid enough to sit there and gloat.

Delir: Heh... They can recognize your face now.

Akhshunwar: Therefore, it's not safe for me to be around here.

Delir: Throw them off by hanging around the opposite end of the city?

Akhshunwar: Yep. I'll leave...

Delir and Akhshunwar: After we finish this meal!

[And what a meal it was. Though there wasn't enough food to impress a noble, most other civilians in Urgench would have considered themselves fortunate to have the amount of bread, meat, and water that Delir and Akhshunwar had spent much of their newly stolen money on. In hindsight, it probably would have been better for them to ration more of the acquired funds, but the temptation was too difficult for the two boys to resist.]

[After a lengthy hour of negotiations, Khingila was glad that he was leaving the palace of Khwarazm's king. Well, if you could call it a palace. To put it in perspective, Khwarazm was a minor state that held its population in check with a meagerly paid militia, its economy dependant on a slightly less meager wool market and fees imposed on passing traders. It reflected on the king's residence; his walls were bare of decorum, his throne looked little more like a commoner's chair made of stone, and his presently underpaid advisors had the air of corruption about them. On the one hand, this made the king as easy to negotiate with as the gate guards. On the other hand, Khingila could barely suffer the suffocating weakness pervading within the palace.]

Ankara: So everything went along smoothly?

Khingila: Yes. It's a good thing that only half of what we'd planned to give him was in the bag on your horse. So I've given him half of what we were supposed to give him, and then we're to arrange final payments to his treasurer tomorrow. Didn't I say it was a good idea to hide some of the coin under two layers of robes?

Ankara: We should've hid all of it in the first place. You still had room.

Khingila: Now, now, it was your duty to watch the horses.

Ankara: You should've seen how that boy jeered at me! Lowered his pants--

Khingila: He looked like Kamvar.

Ankara: His face did, anyway. I have the pleasure of saying I've never seen Kamvar's a--

Khingila: But I know Kamvar never had any children, especially not with any women in this city. He simply didn't have the time for it. But why did I see someone that looks like him...?

Ankara: You're wondering if it's a divine omen? Well, if you factor that in, along with the worst heat we've ever endured over a desert journey and it's not even summer, and the fact that Shazahde and I oppose what you're doing--

Khingila: There's nothing wrong with what I'm doing. We've discussed this already.

Ankara: That's a lie, unless you think discussion is one side outlining what's wrong with a plan while the other side stubbornly shuts their ears to any contrary opinion.

Khingila: That's an exaggeration!

Ankara: An exaggeration? You're the one letting your anger over Kamvar's death drive you towards eliminating all of the Chionites!

Khingila: Are you defending them, Ankara!? Those Red Huns killed Kamvar!

Ankara: You think I don't know that? You think Shazahde doesn't know that? How about the rest of the Hephthalites? Do you think they're stupid enough not to realize who killed their previous lord? No! But they know you're the only chance we have at unification, you... with the lineage of all three hordes!

Khingila: Blood alone doesn't make one a leader.

Ankara: Of course, not to the hordes. But you have the prowess and the retainers to force all of the partisans to kneel before you, but you won't. Instead, you want to ally with weaklings like Khwarazm and attempt the total annihilation of one side, in a war that's going to hurt everyone and allow the Persians to pick us apart piece by piece.

Khingila: Enough! ... ... We'll discuss this later. First we should focus on finding the thief and his accomplice.

Ankara: ... Alright, as long as you understand I haven't given up on this.

Khingila: ... Did you see that?

Ankara: See what?

Khingila: I saw some children watching us behind that corner over there.

Ankara: So?

Khingila: When I spotted them, they decided to run off. That seems to indicate that they were spying on us, which further implies that there could be a whole alliance of homeless kids in this city, considering how many we saw when we entered.

Ankara: If you're right, every step we make is going to be watched...

???: Akhshunwar!

[A girl around ten years old, close to the same age as Akhshunwar, ran into the alleyway where he, Delir, and the rest of the pauperized children who were currently completing their feast. Akhshunwar had made the decision not to stuff himself, so he was able to walk up and greet the girl on arrival. Delir attempted to do the same, then groaned and collapsed back down on his stool.]

Akhshunwar: Mihrana...? What are you doing here?

[Mihrana was not an impoverished youth living out in the streets like Ahkshunwar. Her father was part of the Khwarazm militia, and she lived with him and her mother. The two had met when a starved Akhshunwar collapsed at the foot of her family's doorstep, and she assisted him without a second thought. They have since become friends. At the moment, she appeared to be somewhat anxious.]

Mihrana: I have something to tell you. It's really important, but I'll try to make it quick--

Boy: Hey! There's trouble!

[Another kid ran into the alleyway, cutting off Mihrana mid-sentence, skidding to a halt before Akhshunwar and stopping to catch his breath.]

Akhshunwar: Give me a minute.

Boy: It can't wait!

Mihrana: But--

Boy: Those two people you stole from? They're running around the city looking for you...

Akhshunwar: I'd better go, then.

Mihrana: Wait! Akhshunwar, you have to listen--

Akhshunwar: I'm sorry! You'll have to wait with Delir! Tell me when I came back, okay!?

[Mihrana shouted at Akhshunwar's retreating back, but to no avail.]

Ankara: We've been searching the city for a while... We've questioned the merchants, the guards, even some of those runts... They said that the kid we saw was around here, but Khingila, we've been at this for a while already.

Khingila: We should probably abandon this. I think I can handle negotiating giving the king only half the promised coin, since those kids've probably already spent most of it by now.

Ankara: I've got a better idea. We're gonna grab one of these street-dwellers and force those miniature pick-pockets out in the open. Forget the money, this is about pride now!

Khingila: Seems they've caught on to your plan.

[The sound of scurrying feet can be heard around them.]

Ankara: Urgh.

Khingila: ... Or maybe it worked better than we thought.

[There was Akhshunwar at the far side of the street, taunting them again.]

Akhshunwar: You think you can catch me, you stinking horse-riding bastards!?

[Bodily gestures from Akhshunwar indicated that he meant mounting horses in a more insidious sense.]

Khingila: Hahah, that's actually kind of funny...

Ankara: Damned brat...!

[Akhshunwar made his exit west, and the two affronted foreigners (or one affronted foreigner and a rather amused one) gave chase. One disrupted caravan, two bumped civilians, and some damaged public property later, they had managed to corner the "damned brat" in a dead-end alley. Or so they thought, until Akhshunwar began to climb onto several boxes to get over the wall...]

Khingila: He's quite fast.

Ankara: Quit praising him!

[Akhshunwar threw an empty box at his pursuers. Khingila ducked under the projectile, which allowed it to hit Ankara in the chest. The latter collapsed, as Akhshunwar leapt over the wall...]

Akhshunwar: Whew.

???: Akhshunwar...!

[Akhshunwar blinked. It was Mihrana.]

Akhshunwar: Mihrana! Why didn't you stay with Delir?

Mihrana: Because I'm being sold!

[She sobbed, and he blinked again... It took a moment for him to comprehend exactly what she'd said.]

Akhshunwar: ... WHAT?!

Mihrana: Tomorrow, my father plans to sell me to a Persian diplomat. I wasn't supposed to know about it, but I overheard my parents discussing it, and... Well, I'm sorry if I interrupted you in the middle of something important, I just wanted to say goodbye--

[Akhshunwar took her hand in one of his own, and held the stolen coin bag out in the other.]

Akhshunwar: I refuse to let that happen.

Mihrana: Akhshunwar...?

[Before he could go on, there was the sound of a heavy object landing behind them. It was Khingila, who actually managed to land on both feet. Akhshunwar quickly told her to run, and meet back at her home. The two dispersed into what was the main street in which the bazaar was held. The crowd in the market made it impossible to chase after them.]

Khingila: ... Hm.

[A moment later, there was a loud 'WHUD!']

Ankara: Oh gods... My back...

[It was Ankara, who landed much less gracefully than his friend did.]

Ankara: Urgh... Did you... Get him?

Khingila: No.

Ankara: That is... Unfortunate... Help me up...?

Khingila: It's nothing to worry about.

Ankara: Ugh... How are we ever going to find him now?

Khingila: Easy. He was talking to a girl, just now. Telling by the fact that her clothes are nicer than most of the homeless ones we've seen, I think she has an established residence somewhere. Provide her description to one of the civilians, and we should be able to find her, at least...

[Akhshunwar found Mihrana waiting in front of her home. They waved to each other as he approached.]

Akhshunwar: What's your father's asking price?

Mihrana: You... You don't want to buy me, do you?

Akhshunwar: I don't want you as a slave if that's what you mean.

[Mihrana blushed, while Akhshunwar looked a little embarassed at what he'd said. After an awkward silence, she told him how much the emissary from the southern Empire wanted for her.]

Akhshunwar: Should be easy enough to come by.

[He waved the coin bag around again, looking rather pleased with himself.]

Mihrana: But isn't that for all of you?

[Akhshunwar froze. That was true... He'd managed to acquire this money with Delir's help, and it was meant for all of his destitute friends.]

Akhshunwar: I'll...

Mihrana: Akhshunwar, you don't have to do this...

Akhshunwar: No, I definitely have to do this! I know... I'll go to Persia... Then I'll come back here.

Mihrana: ... Are you sure...?

Akhshunwar: Absolutely. You'll be with me to make sure of it.

[Without another word, Akhshunwar entered her house and, ripping some cloth from his dirty shirt, used it to wrap around a certain amount of coin. Placing it atop the part of the table where he remembered her father sat, he came back out, already planning how they'd leave Urgench... Only to find Mihrana being held hostage by the foreign warriors.]

Ankara: No sudden moves, boy!

Akhshunwar: Get your hands off her!

[Ankara held her by the shoulders. Akhshunwar would've rushed at him, but Khingila stood in his way.]

Khingila: First you get your hands off what doesn't belong to you. Hand it over.

[Akhshunwar quickly threw the coin bag at Khingila. The Hephthal warrior caught it in his chest with an 'oof!', and as he expected it was much lighter than it was before, though he was surprised it hadn't all been spent.]

Khingila: Well, where's the rest?

Akhshunwar: Spent, obviously.

Khingila: I see...

[Behind Khingila came the sound of grinding steel. Ankara had unsheathed his sword.]

Ankara: Give me one reason why I shouldn't kill this girl right here and now, then.

Khingila and Akhshunwar: Stop!

[The two had said this simultaneously, though from Khingila it of course sounded like a firm order. From Akhshunwar, it was a cry of desperation, and his voice had never sounded so desperate before.]

Akhshunwar: Please don't!

Khingila: What do you think you're doing? Bloodshed out in the open?

Ankara: Why not? I doubt this girl would be missed, except by him. It's proper retribution for the pilferer. After that, we can send his entire gang into the afterlife along with him. It'd be better punishment, and easier than chasing him around. We can say we're clearing out crime to make up for lost payment.

Akhshunwar: If you're out for blood, please... Kill me.

Mihrana: Akhshunwar, no!

Khingila: !

[Khingila found that Akhshunwar was on his hands and knees at this point.]

Akhshunwar: If you want me to stop running, then I will. I know I had help, but please spare him as well. Do with my life as you please.

Ankara: Heh! Meaning I can slay you here and now?

[Akhshunwar shook, and diverted the path of his vision to the floor so he couldn't look at any of them.]

Akhshunwar: If it will satisfy you.

Mihrana: Please, Akhshunwar! Stop this and run!

Ankara: Shut up, girl!

[Ankara threw her aside, and advanced upon the prostrate boy, sword still in hand. Soon he was right above him, and though Mihrana pounded her fists at him, she could not stop the warrior from bringing his weapon down... Something else did it for her, however. Akhshunwar looked up, to see that it was Khingila that kept Ankara from landing the fatal blow.]

Ankara: ...

Khingila: ...

Ankara: Do you understand now?

Khingila: ... I admit to shirking my true duties. Exacting complete vengeance was not what Kamvar would have wanted.

Ankara: ... Then it's time to leave this city?

Khingila: Yes.

[Both Mihrana and Akhshunwar were utterly baffled by this exchange of words.]

Khingila: Stand.

[Akhshunwar reluctantly did so.]

Khingila: What is it you plan to do with your life, boy? Surely you aren't going to be the accomplice for your friend's roguish activities forever?

Akhshunwar: ... I planned to head south into Persia, where there are more opportunities for someone as strong as myself.

Khingila: I see. Among the Hephthalites, we respect those who have great skill in combat. Though I wouldn't say you have that, you do show potential, and you even managed to hold your own against one of my best. Take this.

[Khingila took up the depleted coing bag and replaced some of the lost mintage, handing it back to a still-bewildered Akhshunwar.]

Khingila: Accompany a caravan to Persia. We may meet in the battlefield again. Until then.

[Both he and Ankara turned to return to the inn whose stables held their horses. Once they'd had a night's rest, it would be time to head back out to the desert.]

Akhshunwar: ... Take me with you.

Mihrana: Huh!?

Ankara: What?? You can't be serious!

[Khingila turned back to him, and he and the boy stared at each other, as if one were measuring the other, and vice versa. After a while, the future king of Hephthal cracked a grin.]

[The present. Burial site outlying from Pa-ti-yen.]

[Two years after Akhshunwar had joined him, Khingila defeated Uar and Chionite leaders in opposition, and brought both tribes under a Hephthalite hegemony, forming the beginning of a kingdom-- with himself as the first of a dynasty. From his time under Khingila, Akhshunwar had become less arrogant and more proficient in combat. More than two decades of training had cultivated Akhshunwar into one of Khingila's mightiest retainers.]

Akhshunwar: ... Do you hold anything against me?

[The year remains 490.]

[The funeral for Khingila I of the Hephtal Kingdom was not lengthy, but rather emotional. Akhshunwar had already released his grief during the time when Khingila was posthumously returned back to the Walled City, but others chose to show how much they cared for the king as he was being entombed. His wife, Shazahde, was one of them. Ankara, an old friend of Khingila's and now one of his longest-lived veteran generals, was another.]

[Following the precession, Shazahde, Ankara, and Akhshunwar remained. Shezahde knelt over Khingila's grave silently. The two men stood some ways away.]

Ankara: For what specifically? Wanting to punish me with death because I was routed by the Persian army? Of course not, considering it happened to you as well. If the army experiences setbacks, don't look to execute people immediately. Khingila understood striving for martial perfection, but he also understood that actually achieving it was something else altogether.

Akhshunwar: I understand that now. Those were the words of someone young, foolish, and eager to prove himself... I mean, back in the past. When we first met at Urgench.

Ankara: You mean since then? No, that was a long time ago. Khingila's right, we do respect people who prove their strength, so I've never had anything against you.

Akhshunwar: The reason he let me and Mihrana live... This Kamvar person. I remember hearing from some of the Elites that I bore physical similarities to him, despite being unrelated to him.

Ankara: That is true.

Akhshunwar: I also know he was Khingila's brother.

Ankara: Also true.

Akhshunwar: ... What happened to him? I know that he was involved in some political strife against the Red Huns, but not much more. That whole time, you must have reminded Khingila of something about him, and that's why he...

Ankara: I don't feel I'm the right person to discuss this. Someone else might be, though.

[The aged general motioned to the mourning Shazahde.]

Akhshunwar: I see...

[Ankara began to walk away from the grave.]

Akhshunwar: You're going to prepare for Qandahar?

Ankara: That was your order, wasn't it, Regent? Oh don't give me that look, it's the role Khingila more or less gave you and we Elites are going to recognize that.

Akhshunwar: I didn't mean you should leave immediately...

Ankara: But it would be a good idea, I think.

Akhshunwar: Should I mobilize, as well?

Ankara: Of course not. You've got the duties of a monarch. Take a few days to assess the country's situation before you return to the frontlines. Ask her if you're curious about Kamvar, as well. As for me, I'm lucky Khingila didn't saddle me with so many duties!

[He smirked, and then waved goodbye. Akhshunwar turned away from him as he left, and faced the sky.]

Akhshunwar: ... Am I truly ready for this?

[Whew. Long entry. So far, my warscore is a noticeably worse than it should be because my Juan-Juan allies have lost battles, and that's something I'll bring up next time.]

Tskb18: Thanks muchly! Coulda done with more environment description IMHO, but I'm absolutely terrible at details of surroundings. As for the sig, I've had that for a while, it probably doesn't get noticed because it's not in a different text like a lot of other peoples'. In fact, I'll change it soon to make it stand out better...

Fingal: Mihrana wasn't left behind. ;)

Duke of Wellington: Thanks! I would say Akhshunwar should stop getting himself in them, but it comes with the territory.

XVI.​

[The capital, Pa-ti-yen. Residence of Akhshunwar, regent of the Hephthalites.]

[Shazahde, the wife of Khingila I, and one of the late king's most trusted. She exhibited little direct influence on him, but throughout his life he did listen to whatever advice she had to say. Oftentimes her words were incredibly helpful. Under this pretext, Akhshunwar invited the widow to his home. As she left the palace, no guards accompanied her. Ordinarily, there would be two girls who held up the veil of her royal headdress, which was only a part of her stately garb. She still had the same headdress, but no veil to go along with it. Not that anyone would call on her for impropriety, for she wasn't exactly queen now. Regardless, the civilian populace of the Walled City bowed to her as she passed, and rightly so. Her appearance was dignified, but not for clothes alone. Her piercing gaze and composed gait were unmistakable in demanding respect.]

[A woman greeted Shazahde upon arrival of the queen dowager. This woman was a figure less magnificent under regal standards, but she nonetheless possessed beauty of a simpler kind. Her brown robe was quite ordinary compared to her guest, but nonetheless betrayed an endowed physique and took little away from a smile that exhuded natural mirth...]

Shazahde: May I come in, Mihrana?

[... Which was apparently infectious, as Shazahde found herself able to get past her grief and provide a smile in turn, however weak it seemed.]

[Mihrana, the wife of General-- and now also Regent Akhshunwar. Shazahde had spoken to her many times in the past, but was unaware of her past with her husband. Despite having to be away from each other for long periods at a time, Shazahde surmised they must love each other very much, for whatever reason, if Mihrana's constant good spirits were any indication. Shazahde never questioned what that was, in spite of curiosity, though she did not doubt that if she asked this kind woman leading her in right now, she would receive a satisfactory answer.]

Mihrana: Certainly. Do you need help with that?

[Shazahde held in her hands a pottery container, whose contents were blocked from view by a lid.]

Shazahde: Thank you, Mihrana, but I'll be fine.

[Mihrandokht, their young daughter. Upon Shazahde's entry into the residence, she was already busy setting up chairs. Informing them that food was being prepared, she left into another room rather hastily. She looked much like her mother probably did as a child, but with Akhshunwar's brooding eyes...]

Mihrana: Welcome back!

[Speaking of which, there was Akhshunwar now. Shazahde could hear a kiss, soft words, and then a polite excusal directed to herself followed by Mihrana leaving to another room. Shazahde had already taken a central seat at their table. After a greeting from Akhshunwar, he sat at the opposite side from her.]

Shazahde: Hello, Regent.

Akhshunwar: Thank you for coming to see me, my Queen.

Shazahde: Please, call me Queen Mother. I'm not married to my own son, that's a custom for the peoples of the west. 'Your Majesty' will continue to do, as well, Regent.

Akhshunwar: ... My own new title is being rather difficult to get used to.

Shazahde: Don't worry, you only have to suffer it for five years. Toramana will be of age, then, and he looks forward to his duties.

Akhshunwar: That is good to hear.

Shazahde: Indeed. Now, as far as I understand it, you called me here for a reason other than to have dinner, Regent.

Akhshunwar: Yes... But it's a very personal matter, so I'll understand if you don't wish to divulge anything--

Shazahde: Khingila always said you could be an impressive pessimist. You needn't worry, General Ankara already informed me on what you wish to know.

Akhshunwar: ... Oh.

Shazahde: ... And no, you may not order him here for a stern reprimanding, or a beating, or any punishment after this meeting. Our old general's already left to initiate a siege at Qandahar.

Akhshunwar: Well, I could always go after him.

[Here, Shazahde's expression became wry.]

Shazahde: You could, Regent, but your knack for becoming dismounted at inopportune moments is nothing short of legendary.

Akhshunwar: Urrgh...

Shazahde: In any case... Kamvar.

[It was not possible for Akhshunwar to become more attentive than he was at the mention of that man's name.]

Shazahde: He was Khingila's brother. Of course you already know that. He was also my husband with Khingila.

[At first, Akhshunwar assumed that Shazahde and Khingila married following Kamvar’s death. Then he remembered that the Hephthalites had certain unique cultural practices. One of them was polyandry… In which one woman would be married to multiple brothers. Before he could ask if this was the case, Shazahde took something out of the container she had with her. The Queen Mother's hands lifted up what was a dual-horned hat.]

Shazahde: For headwear like this, each horn represents how many husbands a woman is married to. Before I wore the monarchical headdress you see on me now, I wore this hat. Kamvar was the eldest of two brothers, and therefore I was closest to him. According to weather omens, Kamvar was blessed by the gods in nearly every manner. As next in line of the head chief of the Hephthalite tribes, with talent apparently beyond measure, the appearance of a man could not be more opportune. The previous chief, Kamvar and Khingila's father, had the blood of Uar clans and a Gaochan woman flowing through him. Their mother was birthed from the marriage between a Chionite warrior and a Bactrian slavegirl.

Akhshunwar: That explains why we don't have as much of a problem with cultural diversity... My apologies, Queen Mother.

Shazahde: It seemed he would be able to unite the lands under a Hephthalite dominion, and Khingila did not mind playing second fiddle to someone with such a clear destiny. Khingila really loved his brother, and I think I can safely say that his brother really loved himself as well. So much so, that he became cocky... arrogant. Our gods look down upon such behavior, as did others. In youth he would play pranks and disobey his parents. As an adult, he flaunted his skills to the chagrin of those who suffered his presence. When he became the chief after his father died... I will not recite what happened leading into how he angered the Chionites, but he disrespected them so much that they went to burn his camp and kill him, his family, and any retainers present.

Akhshunwar: ... Kamvar was not able to escape?

Shazahde: On the contrary. Kamvar tried to herd the camp out to escape. But he realized that the Chionites would eventually overtake him. Riding at the same pace as the camp, he could have easily abandoned us. Perhaps he should have, as the gods seemed to decree that he was to live for something greater...

Akshunwar: He betrayed what your gods had in store for him.

Shazahde: Yes, by heading in the opposite direction. Kamvar was on the fastest horse-- as such, Khingila gave chase but could not catch up fast enough to prevent what happened next.

Akhshunwar: Kamvar offered himself to the Chionites?

Shazahde: In the hopes that they would spare everyone else. It was an offer that the Chionites accepted, affected by his sudden nobility but not enough to prevent them from killing him. He sacrificed himself and left everything to his brother.

[... And Akhshunwar turned out to be the next "brother" to which Khingila had entrusted the Hephthal fortunes. The Regent remembered his lord's dying words...]

Shazahde: Khingila was traumatized by what had happened. So was I, when he eventually returned hours later in a daze. All hopes rested on him, but soon he sought revenge. Terrible plots formed in his head, culminating into an all-out war in which he summoned his political clout to ally the Hephthalite tribes with the Uar and the Khwarazmite Kingdom in order to eliminate the Chionites and their allies. The result would have been devastating, but his mind was clouded. In order to enact his plan, he first went to Khwarazm.

[Then she smiled at Akhshunwar.]

Shazahde: I'm grateful he met you there. You were the one that kept him from going down a dangerous path.

[Akhshunwar understood... He watched as a single tear slid down her cheek, and he fought the urge to weep, himself.]

Akhshunwar: ... And I'm grateful I met him. He could have refused my desire to join, and I would have been stuck with my original plan to head to Persia. I'm not sure what kind of life I would've had.

[Shazahde nodded, and tried to smile again, though she was having difficulty doing so... Akhshunwar attempted to lighten the mood...]

Akhshunwar: So I look like Kamvar, do I? Has it ever made anything awkward between...?

[Here, Shazahde laughed.]

Shazahde: Haha, you? Don't flatter yourself, Regent.

[Akhshunwar groaned.]

Shazahde: You aren't nearly as cavalier... I like that about you, Regent. Do me a favor, though. If you truly love your family, then try not to do anything foolish-- or too foolish-- in the future.

["After her story, certainly!" is the first thing that went through Akhshunwar's mind. He nodded, himself.]

Mihrana: The food is ready!

Shazahde: In a few days time, you are to bring a force back to Merv, to regroup?

Akhshunwar: Yes, Queen Mother.

[Mihrana began setting out the food on the table, and Mihrandokht entered and took a seat herself.]

Akhshunwar: Thank you, dear.

Shazahde: Good, good... Mihrana, your cooking is masterful as always...

[Would've been done sooner, but a virus posing as ActiveX destroyed my C: Drive and I was forced to reinstall Windows. Urgh.]

Last edited: