• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
XXIII.​

[The siege of Ashkabad. Camp of the Persian Kenarang, Faramarz.]

karakum.gif

[Karakum, "The Black Sand".]​

[Marzban: For those who knew little of the the Sassanid military's rank system, there were several types of commanders in the Persian army. One of those was the Marzban, a special rank give nto those who handled the frontiers of Persian territory. Faramarz in particular was given the post of commanding Marzban in Central Asia. This position had its own special name, the "Kenarang".]

[Still, despite the apparent prestige of the position, Faramarz knew that other parts of the Empire were of greater concern to his master, Shahanshah Kavadh I. He thought that was a mistake, and to him it was already proven through their loss of territory to the Svetahuna and their apparent master, Akhshunwar. Of course, to put the King of Kings to question was not conducive to a long lifespan, so he kept his opinion to himself. Regardless, after the five year treaty with the Svetahuna was over, he hoped that somehow the Shahanshah would try to avoid a war with the Christians and see to the Svetahuna problem--]

Watchman: Lord Kenarang? You'd better see this.

[Faramarz's thoughts interrupted, he turned to see one of his troops standing inside his tent.]

Faramarz: What is it? Have we encountered complications in the siege...?

Watchman: No, sir. There is a rider fast approaching us. He carries no weapons, but his flag...

Faramarz: If he's not reached the camp yet, then let me see him.

Faramarz: That symbol...

[A white flag, with three yellow stars...]

Faramarz: No arms are born on his person... If it is as you say, then let him into the camp.

Watchman: Yes, Lord Kenarang.

[The rider approached, and of course was unopposed by the guards around the Sassanid encampment. He was only barred when he was thirty feet away from the Kenarang. Disembarking from his horse, the rider handed one of those blocking his path a scroll. After speaking a few words with him, the guard nodded and the rider prepared to leave. Climbing back ontop of his mount, Faramarz told his men to keep him there until he had a look at the contents of that scroll. The guard quickly strode over and began to hand it to the Kenarang, but Faramarz told him to give it to the man beside him and have him dictate the message instead.]

Watchman: To General Faramarz... The Hephthalite Kingdom officially declares war on the kingdom of Khwarazm... As we have signed a peace treaty... There shall be no hostilities between our troops... Akhshunwar rides through the Garagum to observe the siege of Ashkabad...

Faramarz: ... If he wishes to watch, then let him. This siege belongs to me and none other. However, a message needs to be sent to the other commanders. They must reach the other territories before the Svetahuna do. I will draft messages, and as for you, keep watch for Akhshunwar's arrival. I am to be informed immediately, understood?

[Faramarz took the scroll.]

Watchman: Of course, Lord Kenarang!

Faramarz: The Khwarazmites' troops will prove no trouble, but this... This has suddenly become a race.

[He crushed the paper in his fists...]

Last edited:
Fingal: Coughmaybecough.

Duke of Wellington: Good question, but if the Persians let their panties get in a bunch at something like that, it's their prerogative :p

XXIV.​

[The siege of Ashkabad. City walls.]

[The captain really could've used a drink. If only he hadn't shown himself to be so clever... After the shah's army was routed and forced to regroup north, the Persians began the siege by rolling in the engines. Noticing their reticence in getting their crews to work immediately, the captain realized that they were probably attempting to do something else to try and circumvent the walls. Once he found that the enemy was setting fires on another part of the walls, his garrison attacked them with arrows and led out a small band to get rid of the stragglers and get some supplies in.]

[Being not only found out, but countered as well, probably was not pleasing news to the enemy general, and now the Persians would pelt their walls with siege engines for long and intense intervals, barely resting before starting again. His garrison had little more to do than to wait out each passing day where more boulders hammered the stone and more of his fellow soldiers' bodies piled up with the rest. The architect that managed the construction of Ashkabad's walls was brilliant, but no amount of brilliance could prevent the fact that once those bastards were down tearing them down, they'd kill each and every last member of the garrison.]

[Sitting with his back to a dangerous section of the wall that could've collapsed over him at any moment, he watched as a subordinate was deciding to go over to him to hand him a bottle of spirits. With a grunt, he lifted himself up, swiped the bottle from his hands, and downed a third of the contents in one gulp. The taste was dissatsifying.]

Captain: I hate this country's alcohol.

Militia: More are approaching!! More enemies!!!

[He decided to amend his previous statement.]

Captain: I hate this country.

Militia: Captain, you'd better come take a look at this.

[He'd imbibed quite a bit, so he nearly fell off from the ladder as he stumbled up it. Thankfully, the Persian army was experiencing one of their rare restive periods so there was no danger of being hit by an incoming projectile. Regardless, the sight of the enemy's siege train did not comfort him, large as it was. Nearly falling off the walls as he looked for the new arrivals behind the Persians, an associate angled his head towards another direction.]

Captain: ... That flag...

Militia: Sir?

Captain: What the hell are the Svetahuna doing here? Wait, no, don't answer that, stupid question.

[A small force was approaching the city, waving the flag of the Hephthalites, and stopped several hundred kilometers away, farther from Ashkabad than the Persians. Only a single rider continued, breaking off and moving for the gates. Several members of the garrison prepared their bows, but their captain would not allow any bolts to be fired. The rider was allowed through the gates, and he quickly handed something to the captain before rounding about in a swift gallop to return to his commander.]

Militia: A message, captain? What does it say?

Captain: Well apparently, we've got another foe on our hands.

Militia: Ah, so we're doomed.

Captain: On the contrary!

Militia: Captain Delir...?

Captain: I think we just found our way out of this mess.

Hmm an interesting chapter . Crossroads of nations fighting for a beleaguered garrison . Reminds me of diplomacy XD !

Guessed it ;) although I thought it was going to be the Persians. Liked this chapter even though it took a while for me to figure out which side the captain was on but then again I'm a little tired.

Just want to say this AAR has not been abandoned. However, I am currently suffering from an incredibly debilitating headache classified as a migraine that I've been suffering from for weeks. I will return when I've managed to recover properly. Hope to be back soon.

Karasuman said:
Just want to say this AAR has not been abandoned. However, I am currently suffering from an incredibly debilitating headache classified as a migraine that I've been suffering from for weeks. I will return when I've managed to recover properly. Hope to be back soon.

Get well soon ! =( Hope you'll be alright !

Many congratulations Karasuman !! Very well deserved ! I'm glad to see this little gem of yours get some time in the sun ! I really do hope you get better !

Thanks again for your well wishes, and for nominating me for last week Fingal!

Now, I'm still feeling a bit bad, but I'm actually getting better! The worst, I think it's safe to say, is over (went through migraines, intermittent headaches, nausea, a kidney stone-- the works), and I'll have an update ready for Monday, after which I'll return to updating semi-consistently.

XXV.​

[The siege of Ashkabad.]

[The first part of the captain's plan for Ashkabad and its garrison to escape its current unpleasant fortunes first began with distractions. Those distractions came in the form of fires started within the western districts of the city. Ordinarily, this would have meant little to the Persians, simply being a set of unfortunate events caused by their siege engines, which would be put to right once they could march in and claim their rightful prize.]

[However, the Svetahuna were present. That complicated matters-- was this some kind of ploy on the part of the Regent of Hephthal? After all, he was known for being quite a trickster amongst his enemies. Could fires inside the city be part of some kind of tactic to keep the Persians from taking the city? Nevermind that their forces were camped too far outside Ashkabad, this was one of the biggest thorns in the Sassanids' side. It was entirely possible that some of them had snuck into the city.]

[It seemed to be as the captain predicted at the beginning, where patrols were being redirected to move to the western side of the city walls. He and his horse, garbed in cloth of dark color, were able to sneak out from the east side. Then he watched as those on the western walls hurriedly escaped from their battlements to give a false sense of urgency to the entire situation. All as planned.]

[The captain was glad to be out of there. Drinking himself into a stupor to pass the time until his seemingly inevitable death at the tipped ends of a cavalry spear was getting boring.]

[Now for the second part of the plan.]

[Reach the Hephthalites.]

[Akhshunwar knew not what, but something was keeping him from sleeping. Something was keeping him restless. Was there something he was bothered about, consciously or not? Perhaps it was that incredible headache he was having earlier during the day? But that had all but disappeared by this point. Maybe it was his daughter's strange dreams that troubled him? No, he was sure Mihrandokht was in no danger. Was it the fact that he'd decided not to go to Karabogaz? Of course not, his reasoning for staying at Kara-Kum was sound, whatever slight truth the courtiers might've come across in calling him a coward.]

[So why was he still up and about in his tent, waiting for something to happen? His body shook a little as he paced around, deep in thought.]

Guard: My lord?

[One of the guardsmen outside had stuck his head into the Regent's tent.]

Akhshunwar: Yes?

Guard: We have a visitor who desires your presence.

Akhshunwar: ... From where does this visitor arrive?

Guard: He claims to be from Ashkabad.

Akhshunwar: Interesting. Tell him I will be a moment.

[Akhshunwar was glad that his battle attire was warm, especially in a night as cold as this. Two Elites flanked him as he strode through his camp, the cloth of tents billowing in what would likely be a freezing breeze for those less fortunate in being clad. Eventually he arrived at a square area at the edge of the camp, where a man sat accompanied by a horse, torchlights to each side of him which were kept up by tall stands. Upon sight of Akhshunwar, the man immediately rose. There was a bit of excitement in his body as he did so, but that disappeared when Akhshunwar came closer. His face was darkened, so Akhshunwar could not get a proper look at him.]

Akhshunwar: Telling from your garb, you appear to be a member of the Khwarazm armies. Your haggard appearance seems to tell me you're from Ashkabad, having survived the Persian siege so far. But you must know that we are also your foes. What madness brings you here?

Captain: Guilty as charged. Although Akhshunwar, if I'm not your friend anymore, that would wound me to the core.

[The Elites behind Akhshunwar did not like this casual tone of voice from the newcomer, and both were getting ready to draw their swords and cut the insolent fool down.]

Elite: You will refer to our lord properly!

Akhshunwar: Wait.

[Akhshunwar stayed them with a movement of his arm. He peered at the man, whose face continued to be wrapped in darkness.]

Akhshunwar: Come out into the light, stranger.

[When the man did so, Akhshunwar almost staggered.]

[The last time he'd seen this person, he was a boy. Their last adventure had been to pilfer a bag of coins from a traveling king and his cohort. It was one that almost ended badly, but it was the catalyst for nearly everything else that had happened in his life. The last image that'd been locked in his mind was that boy, bloated from food they'd gorged themselves on from the spoils of thievery. Akhshunwar thought that was the last time he'd ever see him.]

Akhshunwar: ... Delir!?

Captain Delir: Been a long time, my friend.