• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So after Suraru's last post here I did a little work on putting a working map into CK2 using their map files, but I haven't worked on it since November. Just got reminded of it after seeing this thread again and I figured some people might be interested in seeing.

I only worked a little on Cyrodiil and Morrowind before I stopped, and a little bit on Black Marsh. I think if I get back to this I want to change Cyrodiil to be a little closer to the official map rather than the Tamriel Rebuilt map, without the broken up Imperial Isle, remove the roads, make the mountains smaller, and balance the terrain colour better. Also fix the tree placement in general.

ELXEOEd.jpg

3yNMmo4.jpg

HDfqelm.jpg

Mournhold

JfOMgdN.jpg

Kvatch

I don't plan on changing anything more than the map, my plan was to try and copy over the provinces of the main mod into this map (if I finished it), so for example the whole Imperial Isle would still be one county, making it more compatible with the main mod, but I have no idea if that's possible without it looking weird.

T
So after Suraru's last post here I did a little work on putting a working map into CK2 using their map files, but I haven't worked on it since November. Just got reminded of it after seeing this thread again and I figured some people might be interested in seeing.

I only worked a little on Cyrodiil and Morrowind before I stopped, and a little bit on Black Marsh. I think if I get back to this I want to change Cyrodiil to be a little closer to the official map rather than the Tamriel Rebuilt map, without the broken up Imperial Isle, remove the roads, make the mountains smaller, and balance the terrain colour better. Also fix the tree placement in general.

ELXEOEd.jpg

3yNMmo4.jpg

HDfqelm.jpg

Mournhold

JfOMgdN.jpg

Kvatch

I don't plan on changing anything more than the map, my plan was to try and copy over the provinces of the main mod into this map (if I finished it), so for example the whole Imperial Isle would still be one county, making it more compatible with the main mod, but I have no idea if that's possible without it looking weird.

This looks fantastic!

ELXEOEd.jpg

3yNMmo4.jpg

HDfqelm.jpg

Mournhold

JfOMgdN.jpg

Kvatch

Uh, Morrowind looks like a crater. How appropriate.

ELXEOEd.jpg

3yNMmo4.jpg

HDfqelm.jpg

Mournhold

JfOMgdN.jpg

Kvatch

Are you still working on this mod? I can help with map modding if you need.

Also ESO is not a bad game, it actually has some of the best lore. They actually have Nords using their traditional Nordic pantheon, for one.

According to this blog post by a member of the Tamriel Rebuilt team:
Then came ESO. I did the same thing I had with Oblivion and Skyrim: I played it through, and mostly enjoyed myself. But the more I played, the more I realized how disjointed the lore was. A friend once asked to me list all the retcons I could find in just Morrowind, and it was quite substantial. Here's a piece of it:

• The Morag Tong was outlawed.
  • The Dres are obsessed with slaves, and even other Dunmer poo-poo them for it. (Compare to the "evil slavers" but yet 3-dimensional and somewhat-sympathetic Telvanni we see in TES3.)
  • There's a tribe of Ashlanders called the Mabrigash, when "Mabrigash" is a term for an exiled witch-wise women.
  • There was a Dunmer in Ebonheart talking about Dagoth Ur's return--centuries too early.
  • There were no Kwama Foragers, which becomes important when you realize that Kwama Foragers climb into Kwama Workers to make Kwama Warriors.
  • Dunmer can have purple, yellow, brown and gray eyes, when the lore states multiple times they have red eyes.
  • The Lusty Argonian Maid was not written by Crassius Curio.
  • Nix-Hounds are literally used as hounds by Dunmer. ( In older lore the only reason Nix-Hounds are called that is because of their unearthly howling; they otherwise don't resemble dogs at all. And no, the ESO Nix-Hounds don't howl.)
  • There's no room on the ESO map for Blacklight or the Redoran holdings; similarly, the Dres lands were squished out of existence between Deshaan and Shadowfen: Narsis is on the same latitude as Mournhold.
  • Mephala is a Lolth knock-off, complete with spider fetishism.
  • Argonians, Nords, and Dunmer are allies, when these three races have been at each others' throats for literally eons.
  • The architecture is all stone brickwork: no ancestral Velothi towers made with adobe anywhere.
  • Hey, at least they have Daedric architecture, but the Daedra are considered evil and there's very little sign that the Dunmer used to worship them and still revere the Good Daedra.
  • Dunmer actually care about conquering Cyrodiil and other Empire politics.
I thought maybe it was just some simple oversight to have all these mistakes, because my goodness, is TES lore thick and riddled with realistic inconsistencies. And so at first it seemed to be. Then ESO: Morrowind came out. The painful retcons and additions continued. Things like:

• Telvanni towers are stone towers with mushrooms grown on top.
  • Morrowind is open to non-native colonizers, including on Vvardenfell.
  • Vivec the city was built in the Second Era, instead of the First or the Dawn Era as suggested by the 36 Sermons.
  • The 37th Sermon was added to the 36 Sermons of Vivec (Sermon 0 doesn't count and was barely a non-cringy meme anyway).
  • Suran was Redoran except it has Hlaalu architecture because apparently Hlaalu were builders before they were merchants and Redoran let them take over the town afterward.
  • Seyda Neen existed in exactly the same form in the Second Era.
  • Dunmer armor is made out of metal instead bonemold or chitin.
  • Ordinators got a new set of armor that was vaguely Roman in style.
  • Velothi adobe-style architecture is gone.
  • Vivec demanded a new Ebonheart be built--in Imperial style apparently.
And on and on. Playing ESO and ESO: Morrowind became like a kick in the teeth for me. This isn't nostalgia speaking (or lack thereof--after all, why else would they add Seyda Neen except to stroke nostalgia?), it was the continuing disrespect and laziness the devs showed to the old lore I had fallen in love with.

I think I prefer the current Morrowind east coast. The High Rock depicted does more closely represent what I was used to seeing from older maps from between Oblivion and Skyrim. Overall, I don't think the map needs to change. Not much is gained by doing so, and it would waste a lot of time where they could flesh out the other systems they are adding.

I think I prefer the current Morrowind east coast. The High Rock depicted does more closely represent what I was used to seeing from older maps from between Oblivion and Skyrim. Overall, I don't think the map needs to change. Not much is gained by doing so, and it would waste a lot of time where they could flesh out the other systems they are adding.
Sorry for the necro but Morrowind's east coast always reminded me of a sharp blade, and the dulling of it in later TES entries is a crime.

A lot of those changes seem pretty deliberate. Also, the trailers (Summerset standing out here) portray the setting as ultra-generic Tolkien fodder, so I think it's just as likely they dumbed down the lore for marketing purposes.

We can choose which version of the Tamriel map to follow (and there has been a few) without needing to completely ignore ESO. It's lore just like any Bethesda-issued product, unless otherwise stated, is lore. Canon-wise, If there two conflicting versions of a thing, usually the latest-relsead version is the official one, although a great deal can be explained by ESO taking place centuries and centuries before the main games.

That said, for the mod's sake we have the privileege of choosing which version, the modern one or the past one, to model our mod around. Khenarthi's Roost island, for example, was added by ESO and incorporated into the mod because "hey, a new Khajiit island, why not?" even though we didn't made other major changes to the map to "follow up" on ESO.

Reactions: