• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(84806)

Lt. General
2 Badges
Sep 30, 2007
  • Divine Wind
  • For The Glory
This AAR was originally written for the Civfanatics forum and is a 99% copy of the original. It was written with a public in mind that might not know the game. Therefore, you will sometimes come across passages in which game mechanics are explained. Hope this won't bore you :D As a second note, this was my first AAR, so don't expect high quality!

---

The Lurid Livonians​

Hello! This is my first try on an AAR with EU2. I will play as Livonian Order in the grand campaign. I have never played with them before, so things can (hopefully!) get interesting :)

Settings:

Version: 1.09
Mod: AGCEEP 1.50 Deluxe with EGUFSM
Difficulty: Very Hard/Weakling

My plan will be to be the dominant power around the Baltic Sea. I will also try to capture all Scandinavian provinces. I will probably think of some more goals as I proceed in the game.

Off we go then!

Getting to know my neighbours

livord1bg7.jpg

Domestic Policies and Political Map

Livonian Order starts as a vassal and in an alliance with the Teutonic Order. Knowing that the alliance of Poland and Lithuania will sooner or later go after the Teutonic Order, I cancel my vassalization with them. This gives me a drop in stability, but it is worth it in the long run. We still remain in alliance, though.

I build tax collectors in Livland and Estland (already got one i my capital province - Kurland). As for the domestic policies, I go for a offensive doctrine - I will use this slider until I get +1 shock value for my troops/ships. As for the budget, all the money goes to infrastructure.

After 5 months Poland DoW Teutonic Order. The Order asks for my help, but I dishonor. Instead, I move my troops to their border. When I got a diplomat, I asked Lithuania to join their alliance with Poland and Masovia. Fortunately, they accepted - so I automatically joined their war against Teutonic Order. I send all my troops to Memel, hoping to capture the province. While this was happening, Sweden declared war on Novgorod. They started besieging Ingermanland, which I have a core on.

Fortunately, there isn't so harsh winter in Memel, so my troops don't suffer any attrition. Polands and Lithuanias 60k troops have it a bit worse while they besiege Prussia in full winter. The siege of Memel is going slow, because I don't have any ships to blockade the port.

After many months both Prussia and Memel are captured by our alliance. Poland accepted the perfect peace offer from Teutonic Order - 138 ducats and Memel to me! I didn't lose a single man during the war! The other alliance members lost perhaps 40k troops to attrition. In the north Novgorod took a serious beating, handing over a handfull of provinces to the Kalmar union. To make things worse, Muscovy and its alliance declared war against them the same year.

livord2ni3.jpg
livord3fg0.jpg
End of the first wars

The next years were uneventful for the Livonian Order. 6 galleys were built to have a small fleet which could blockade ports and transport troops. A taxcollectors office was built in Memel.

livord4ka0.jpg
Random rebel event in Kurland. Eat snow, filthy bastards! Muscowy underway to annex Pskov.​

First war against Scandinavia​

In 1428, after forceannexing Pskov, Muscowy declares war on Denmark (and Sweden and Norway). This is good news for me, as I intend to capture Swedish provinces. Since I have casus belli against Sweden, I don't get so much BB for DoW'ing. I bring with my alliance partners, including Teutonic Order. Denmark and Norway joins Swedens side.

My army under control of Lt. General Henning Scharpenberg is sent to Ingermanland to iniate a siege there. My glorious fleet is unfortunately to small to blockade, so it is only used to transport troops. An army with a good leader from Muscovy (better than Scharpenberg) reaches Ingermanland before me. Therefore I split up Scharpenbergs army, and send it to Nyland. Just as my troops land, Muscovy agrees to a peaceproposal from Denmark. I quickly send Scharpenberg to Ingermanland back to start sieging the province. Sweden interrupted the siege a couple of times, but their troops were repelled each time. After a harsh winter, Ingermanland was under Livonian control. After a while Sweden agreed to peace, giving me Ingermanland! Denmark and Norway gave up in 1432, giving the alliance 86 ducats.

livord5wn7.jpg
Another province added to the realm​

Scharpenbergs army was reduced to 3000 cavalry after the last war, so a time with peace was necessary. 4 new galleys, a taxcollectors office was built in Ingermanland and infantry was trained to join Scharpenbergs army. Not all were good though - I lost the trade center in Livland. After some waiting - two good events struck in 1438. First of all I got a new leader, Heinrich IV Vinke (poor stats though). Second, an event gave me casus belli against Denmark. It was time for war again!

livord6zi6.jpg

Oops! Yeah, right... As I said, time for war :D
2 >
---

Comments are welcome, even if I actually have finished the AAR (at CFC, that is ;))

Last edited:
Muscovy sure is acting like a bully. I'm sure you'll have a thing or two to say about that.

Nice start and welcome to AAR writing over here. Excellent presentation so far. Now good luck in the snow. ;)

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, this is the first of many encounters against Muscovy - as far as I remember, I'm the only natural enemy to Muscovy now, as all the others (Novgorod, Tver and Ryazan) are allied to them. However, I have no intention of giving Ingermanland to them!

I really like playing in Northern Europe - the winter can really turn the tide in a war. The snow is also very nice to take out rebels, making war exhaustion less of a problem.

First war against Muscowy

The rotten swines from Muscowy declared war on me (1439), mostly because I own Ingermanland (which they have claim on). I call for help from my alliance, and they all agree to join the war. I split Scharpenbergs army in two, and send one half to Kexholm (owned by Muscowy), and the other to Olonets (owned by Tver). Both these provinces have ugric culture, which happens to be my stateculture. Gaining these provinces will therefore be a nice addition to the Order. Since I'm fighting a defensive war, I won't get much BB points from gaining provinces from a peaceproposal.

The siege of both provinces proceed at a fast pace. I have only met small enemy armies, no big deal for the Livonian leaders. Poland and Lithuania is doing the main fighting around Moscow. They fight so well that Poland conquers the only province of Ryazan, and thereby annexed them. One surprising event happened to me during the war. Some years ago Lithuania went bankrupt, and they have struggled ever since with unstability. The outcome of the situation was most fortunate for me:

livord7yz4.jpg
Vinke sieging Kexholm, Scharpenberg sieging Olonets​
A baltic culture province for free (and no BB)! Thanks! However, this gives Lithuania a permanent casus belli against me. I will try to mantain good relations with them as long as I'm weaker than them. As for the war, the two provinces are captured before the end of the year. I quickly send my troops back to Ingermanland, to avoid further attrition. The next part of the plan was to siege Novgorod, but I never got that far. Lithuania accepted peace with Muscowy, giving me Kexholm and some ducats. Poland remain in the war, since they had a separate peace with Ryazan.

livord8bm9.jpg
Results after the first war against Muscowy​

In 1443 Poland gets 43 ducats from Muscowy to end the war. Not much else is happening. My alliance finished a war against Crimea (which I never bothered to fight in), where Lithuania gained Jedisan from Crimea. My casus belli against Denmark expired, so I won't do any warfare against Scandinavia in the near future. Instead I have my attention focused at Muscowy and its allies, hoping for a good opportunity (for war) to rise. Meanwhile I promote the bailiffs in my new provinces, and train some infantry. In 1449 I lose the command of Scharpenberg. The same year I also reach the important level in the offensive doctrine - my leaders get +1 shock value. I also sent an insult to Sweden, hoping them to declare war on me. There is no need to insult Muscowy, since our relations are already at -200, and they have a permanent casus belli on me.

In 1452 Lithuania again DoW's Crimea. Knowing that Lithuania and Poland will steamroll them, I don't want to waste any troops on fighting. The war ends with two provinces to Lithuania and 156 ducats to the alliance. The next years was quiet for the Order. The money was rolling in (around 50 ducats in census taxes) and the reputation was again at honourable (0 BB). Since my neighbours hadn't declared war on me, I had to declare war on them. Waiting for a war when you have 0 BB is not good - your diplomats must have something to do! My targets was either Muscowy or the Scandinavian alliance. I had no casus belli vs any of them. DoW'ing will cost me 4 BB points, which is too much. However, it only cost 2 BB to DoW a nation you have +100 relations with! Since my relations vs Denmark was +116, it was clear where the next war was taking place.

Second war against Scandinavia

The second Scandinavian war started on the 1st march 1455, with Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Oldenburg vs Livonian Order, Teutonic Order, Poland and Lithuania (as the aggressors). I sent my 17k army once again to Nyland, where my fleet was blockading the port. Around 1000 Swedish troops were waiting there, but they were easily defeated. The Scandinavians tried numerous times to beat my fleet of 14 galleys, but they were unsuccessfull each time. That shock bonus sure helps! One of defeated ships had maps which were stolen. This revealed Kola and northern Norway. The Danes were more successfull at land - they captured Kexholm before I had made any progress at the siege in Nyland. Nyland had a small fortress, which made things frustrating. When the winter came, I sent 14k of my troops onto my fleet to reduce attrition. The 3k troops remaining was still in Nyland to have the siege "on hold".

livord9wn5.jpg
3000 infantry keeping the siege on hold in Nyland, while the main army is resting in the galleys
The 20k army from Poland attacked the Swedes in Ingermanland, and lost!

When spring arrived, the troops disembarked and the siege progressed at full speed. The fortress fell before the year was over. The next year the Swedish provinces were full of troops from Poland, making it easier for me to do my business: Togheter with troops from Teutonic Order, we liberated Kexholm from the Danes. After that 1000 cavalry was sent to capture Karelia, Kola, Finmark and Nordland (none of them had fortress).

livord10mi2.jpg
Nyland is captured. Waiting for Kexholm to be liberated.

The Danes gave up in april 1457, giving me Kola and Karelia, and the alliance 416 ducats! :D I tried to get a separate peace with Sweden, securing Nyland, but they rejected my offer.

livord11bx2.jpg
Results after the second war against Scandinavia

But hey, I can't complain.

3 >
---

Edit: For an unknown reason, some parts of this update is written in present time. However, I'm to lazy to fix this :)

Last edited:
No problem with the changes in tense. You write well and clearly. I assume this is partly to do with the fact it is for CFC, but nonetheless I am enjoying it. You are doing well there. It looks like the risky first few years when a bad war can mean the end are over. However your nation is still very narrow and long making it hard to defend.

Nifty trick loading the bulk of your army onto galleys for the winter. That should be textbook for everyone, but I am too lazy and bullheaded to do it. Nice work. :cool:

I agree with Duke, it will be interesting to see how well you defend your land. I could see a war with Sweden happening after you took those provinces from Muscovy. Too bad you couldn't have left an opening for them to fight each other since they tend to do that quite a bit.

DoW: Thanks! The Order got a much neater empire now, but as you said, it's hard to defend it with its current shape. In a way I had put the Orders head on a chopping block, while Muscovy and Sweden were sharpening their axes ;)

coz1: I try to use that trick whenever winter is arriving. But as soon as I have enough money in the coffers to replace the soldiers, I usually let them stay during the winter. :)

The decade of peace...

After the second war against Scandinavia it was time for a peaceful decade. The two newly gained provinces were poor, but money was spent to get things going. The bailiff in Kola was promoted, and colonization of Karelia was started. Karelia was only a level 1 colony, while Kola had a population of around 1500.

livord14xs0.jpg

7 new galleys were built to reinforce my fleet. My goal is to have a bigger fleet than Sweden. Their fleet consist of around 20 ships, mostly warships. Since neither of us have reached naval technology higher than level 2, warships doesn't have any benefits over galleys (AFAIK). When I reach level 9 in naval technology, then I might start building warships. As for the armies, they consist of around 2 infantry for every cavalry. Pure cavalry armies are not a priority here, since there is no provinces with plains in the area. At the moment the biggest army counts around 10k men.

Diplomats with insults are sent to Sweden, hoping they will DoW me. Weakening them before they get to strong in military techs is important. As many times before, I really want Nyland. As the picture below shows, Nyland border the Åland Sea. Åland Sea gives access to 3 Swedish provinces: Finland, Gästrikland and Svealand. This is why Nyland is so important, it gives me easy access (national waters) to the main Swedish provinces. Capturing Nyland will be much easier now than the last war, because the fortress was damaged during the last siege. It is only minimal now. Meanwhile a fortress is built in Karelia after successfully colonizing it.

livord15mj9.jpg
Åland Sea (selected)​

In 1465 infrastructure level 3 is reached. Land technology is now priority. I hope to reach LT level 5 as fast as possible, so assaulting during a siege is possible.

livord16pb6.jpg
Infrastructure level 3 reached in 1465

...and the decade of war!

In 1468 Lithuania DoW's Crimea again. Everybody in the alliance joins the war. As usual, I will only watch. In the east, Muscovy had annexed Tver, giving them 2 provinces (Tver and Olonets). Seeing an opportunity when the war against Crimea started (which is in a alliance with the Ottomans!), Muscovy declared war on me again.

livord17tj0.jpg
Notice the rebel army in Novgorod

Even if the Livonian Order was rebuilding after the last war, it had a medium sized army (16k). Lithuania and Masovia went for Pskov, while I went for Olonets. The Livonian army was waiting in Estland, so it was a short way to the Muscovian provinces. Poland and Teutonic Order were busy around the Black Sea, fighting Crimea and the Ottomans. The Ottomans were too strong, so Lithuania bought them out of the war for 40 ducats, and giving them Jedisan. In Muscovy, as usual, the Livonian troops met little resistance. The siege of Olonets went fast; it fell within a year.

livord18ux9.jpg
Novgorod in trouble

Muscovy had managed to capture Welika from Lithuania, while Pskov was captured by Masovia. The Lithuanian army then went for Novgorod, who had joined the war on Muscovys side. That was perhaps not the wisest move by Novgorod, since their army was wiped out by a rebel army a year earlier. Lithuania captured the province of Novgorod, and annexed them shortly after. Poland was tired of fighting in Crimea, so they went for peace. That was just in time, because Bohemia declared war on them. Their alliance consisted of Bohemia, Brandenburg, Pomerania and Kabul(!). Meanwhile I got military access from Lithuania, and decided to go for Moscow itself.

livord19wx0.jpg

The main Livonian army fighting recruits in Tula. The war against Brandenburg lasted only a year

However, Lithuania was satisfied with their new province (with a CoT), so they went for peace. Lithuania accepted peace with Muscovy getting only 14 ducats - no Olonets for me :(. I tried to get Olonets from Muscovy in a separate peace, but they refused.

Even if I'm in Europes perhaps strongest alliance, it can be frustrating some times too. Not being the alliance leader make warmongering much harder. I could have fought Muscovy myself without support, but their armies is 3 times larger than mine. They got strong leaders too, which makes it almost suicide to meet them in battle. So all in all, I should be satisfied with the result. As for the alliance members, I have very good relations with all of them. Around 1460 I gave Teutonic Order a Letter of Introduction, increasing our relations to +190. I offered them to become my vassal, but they refused. I wasn't surprised, since they had a much bigger army than me (and probably better economy as well).

The Ledger is a useful tool (but I seldom use it). Some statistics after the war is shown below:

livord12xw5.jpg
livord13pq2.jpg

The most surprising about the Orders losses is the few men fallen in combat. Rebel armies have been my worst enemy during the game! The only reason I haven't lost more, must have something to do with my alliance. Lithuania is the punching bag for Muscowy, while Poland and Teutonic Order keep the Scandinavians at bay in the west. As for the economic statistics, I'm surprised over how poor Sweden is. They have almost twice as many provinces than me, yet they have less income than me. Good. The Teutonic Order has only two provinces, but they are richer than me. That's because they own a center of trade (Danzig). Ahh, I hope they will become my vassal soon. By the way, I had an inflation event, giving me 1% inflation.

4 >

Last edited:
I'm guessing the CoT Lithuania just took in Novgorod is helping them with money as well. Too bad you couldn't have taken that one. And Sweden's northern provinces are pretty low population and thus poor so I'm guessing that is the disparity there.

A nice turn.

Swedens northern provinces are very poor early in the game, but later on they could get very rich. Having in mind that Livonian Order got ugric culture, it's a good deal to get those provinces sooner or later. :)

The Teutons still got Danzig yes. We're in a big alliance with Poland and Lithuania, so no provinces will change hands between us (yet, that is :D).

A plan is formed

The second war against Muscowy didn't go so well for Livonian Order. Even if the loss of men was minimal, not gaining new provinces isn't good. Since the Order have been passive the last years, BB isn't very high. Therefore, a plan is formed: relations with Norway is good, over +100. After the snow has melted, a declaration of war will be sent to Norway. Hopefully, Sweden and Denmark will join Norway, while Poland, Lithuania and Teutonic Order will join me. To avoid the problem of not being alliance leader, I will get a separate peace as soon as possible with Norway. Getting the unfortified provinces of Finmark and Nordland will be first priority, while the rest of my army will siege Nyland. Norway will hopefully accept peace after I've counquered their northern provinces. Then I can fight as long as I wish vs Denmark and Sweden. After Nyland is captured, I will look at the situation. If there is little/no activity around Gotland, I will try to siege that province. Well, enough talk! Lets see how the plan worked in action.

The declaration of war against Norway was on hold until Lithuania finished the war against Crimea. It kept going until 1472, when Crimea signed peace by giving us 142 ducats. Checking the warexhaustion (3%), I decided to wait until it was gone. Finally, in april 1474, the time had come. Just before I pressed the button to DoW, I saw that Norway wasn't in an alliance. Since I didn't want poor Norwegian provinces at the time being, I didn't DoW them. Sweden was my main target. They had entered an alliance with Bremen and Mecklenburg, with the latter as the alliance leader. Realations with Mecklenburg was at +125, so I DoW'ed them. Sweden and Bremen joined the war, while I decided that the Order was strong enough to fight them alone.

The third war against Sweden

livord20hz2.jpg
Nyland is sieged once again

I followed the usual steps: Livonias main army was sent to Nyland, while my ships blocked the port. Sweden answered quickly by sending an army with a leader (Sven Sture d.ä. or something) to siege Ingermanland. However, they counted only 2000 men, so I decided to take them out. The fight didn't last very long, my troops were too demoralized to fight to the bitter end. The Swedes lost more men than the Livonian army though, so a new attack is planned. While the winter was doing its work in Ingermanland, the Livonian army boarded the ships waiting in the Gulf of Finland. They unloaded at the end of March, while there still was snow in Ingermanland. Due to high attrition and meeting a big army, the outnumbered Swedes were annihilated. :)

Nyland was again sieged with 18k men. The Swedes didn't give up after losing Sven, so they sent a new army to Ingermanland with 13k men. The two sieges progressed at the same pace, but Nyland was captured first, right before the winter arrived.

livord21ki6.jpg

After many months in hard conditions, the Swedes didn't manage to capture Ingermanland. To make the situation worse for Sweden, I sent my army to fight them. The Swedes retreated to Kexholm, while I started sieging Savolaks (1479). However, money started running out and warexhaustion caused some rebellions, so I wanted peace quickly. The Swedes kept refusing my offer of giving me Nyland, so the war continued. After two years of random sieging (was never successful of capturing new provinces) and small skirmishes, the Swedes decided to send their fleet against mine. That wasn't very clever by them, since I won each time they tried to attack me. The warscore increased for each won battle.

Muscovy is no more​

Seeing the Livonian success in Sweden, Lithuania thought it was time to go to war again. They chose Russia (Muscovy became Russia some time ago). Even if I still was in a long war vs Sweden, I accepted to honor the alliance. Fortunately, after many attempts, Sweden accepted my peaceproposal to cede me Nyland. :cool:

livord22sf5.jpg

The 24k in Nyland is a Swedish army. I got peace right before it was recaptured

The "war" against Mecklenburg and Bremen still continued though. In Russia, not surprisingly, I went for Olonets. Masovia and Teutonic Order also thought of that, and sent a 20k army there. Due to the high attrition, I retreated to Novgorod, trying to liberate it (it was captured by Russia some months earlier). During the siege, I got a new leader, Walther II von Plettenberg (4,4,3,0)! I quickly sent him to Olonets, stealing the almost finished siege from Teutonic Order. Ah, I love moments like that :) Olonets was in my hands in June 1484. The same month the war against Mecklenburg and Bremen was over; a white peace was signed. A peace with Russia would have been most welcome too. I had over 10% warexhaustion, and I had lost Kurland to rebels. There were only 30 ducats in the treasury, and the army counted 5000 men. In the end of 1485 Russia agreed to give our alliance 84 ducats. Still no Olonets for me :(. I thought the peace would solve the problems with war exhaustion at home, but it turns out that we're still in war with the rest of Russias alliance, with Moldova as leader. Lithuania must have seen my troubles, so they accepted 200 ducats in peace some months later. The bailiff is promoted in Nyland, while my army is liberating provinces captured by rebels.

livord23eo6.jpg
My alliance is helping me liberating provinces from rebels. Lithuania is getting bigger

With the first steps of permanent foothold in Sweden, it will be easier to fight them. The current situation in Europe is shown below.

livord24bb9.jpg

5 >

Last edited:
A nice round of successful wars, to be sure. And yes, a stolen siege is always nice - when you are the one stealing said siege. ;)

During the war against Sweden, Lithuania declared war on Crimea once again. Must be the urge to get to the Black Sea that drives them. This war continued for a long time, to much irritation for me. Since it wasn't any fighting around the Livonian lands, army maintenance was set to 50%, and no army movements were made. All rebel controlled provinces were liberated in the next few months. As the census taxes rolled in, von Plettenbergs army was reinforced with infantry and cavalry. That was just in time, since Russia was tired of sitting on the fence.

The third war against Russia

livord25la2.jpg

In june 1492 Russia declared war on me toghether with its allies Theodoros, Moldavia and Abkhazia. Fortunately, Lithuania, Poland and Teutonic Order joined my side. Russia have some big armies, so fighting them alone is hopeless. von Plettenberg is sent to Olonets, while Russia goes after Novgorod.

livord26jq2.jpg

Lithuania and Poland have their hands full already with Crimea and the Ottomans, so Russia have started several sieges in Lithuanian provinces. Meanwhile, the siege in Olonets needs only one year before it falls under Livonian control. von Plettenberg is then sent to Pskov. Russia only focus on Lithuania, so von Plettenberg hasn't proved his skill vs Russian troops yet. As Pskov only has a minimal fortress, it falls quickly too. A separate peace with Russia is offered, where giving me Olonets is the condition. They refuse. Looking for opportunities to gain more warscore, von Plettenberg is sent to Vologda, where Russian soldiers are under training. The fight that follows proves von Plettenbergs skill - the enemy suffered big losses. The Russians realized that they was losing the war, so they agreed to give me Olonets! Finally, after all those wars, that poor province is mine! :D It has ugric culture, after all. :) However, Russia continues the war against my alliance partners. I'm still in war with Crimea and allies, and Moldova (leader of Russias alliance) and allies.

livord27km5.jpg

After a year in big trouble, Lithuania gets too easy away. Russia accepted peace getting only 75 ducats. No provinces changed hands. Meanwhile I signed a white peace with Moldova. Right after that I got the crappy "Treacherous Noble Arrested" event. I went for centralization +1, and aristocracy -1. Even if getting more centralized is good, I hate losing aristcracy "points". Cavalry will get more expensive, and the monarchs diplomacy rating will fall.

My next plan is to go after Denmark. They have some rich provinces, like Skåne. Skåne is within reach of my fleet. Considering that Denmark have been at war for a couple of years now against two alliances is only positive for me. I will wait to declare war on them until Lithuania is finished with their war against Crimea. The Ottomans are out of the war, gaining Ukraina and some ducats.

In february 1502 the declaration of war is sent to Denmark. Norway and some german minors join their side, while I decide to fight alone. von Plettenberg was already waiting outside Gotland in the Livonian fleet. His 18k army was unloaded at once, starting the siege within the end of the month.

livord28fo7.jpg

Fortunately, the supply in Gotland is high enough for 18k men without the need of a blockade. The Livonian fleet is moving back and forth to either blockade the port in Gotland, or engage Danish fleets. We have about the same size, so the battles outcome depends a lot on favourable winds. Unfortunately, the Danish are more lucky with the winds than me.

livord29wl8.jpg

Even if Denmark has favourable winds, I crush them in this naval battle

von Plettenberg captured Gotland about a year and a half after the siege started. My plan was originally to siege Skåne next, but an army of 21k men from Denmark is stationed there. Sjælland is also defended with a big army, so von Plettenberg is sent to Jylland. The Danish tries two times to kick me out, but von Plettenberg is each time victorious - but the losses are big, around 9k men. Denmark isn't only defensive; they sent 18k to Kurland, siegeing the province. However, since von Plettenberg started the siege of Jylland so early, that province is captured first. Seeing that the Danish have a much bigger army and also many ships, I ask them for peace. They accept, and give me Gotland!

livord30ek7.jpg

Getting Gotland was a real good bargain. It's the richest province I own at the time. As some of you might have noticed, Gotland has a Naval Manufactory! This will give me faster research times on naval technologies. The Livonian Order should now be considered one of the biggest nation around the Baltic Sea:

livord31yk8.jpg

6 >

Last edited:
Nicely done, especially against Russia. They might stop DoW you if you keep that up. ;)

You do appear to be wanting to take all of Scandinavia, by choice and will take what you can get in settlements from Russia. In effect you'd create the Empire Gustav II Adolf could only dream of. You're in the right alliance for your start and plans. Gotland could be just the thing to break the Danes and Swedes in future wars.They concentrate on that one territory whilst you take what you want.

You've factored in the losses you'll take from attrition and that makes your strategy extremely well thought out.

Controlling Gotland is indeed a nice way to attack Sweden and/or Denmark, with the easy access to Skåne and Småland (-> and in turn Stockholm). I also like to get more national waters in the Baltic Sea, as I always forget naval attrition at the wrong time (like when invading) :). Getting Olonets was very satisfying too - I wasted a lot of time getting that province!

Nice to have you along, Chief Ragusa! Time will tell if I'd beat Gustav Adolfs dreams ;)