• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@ Erie_Patriot: The Germans and Americans possibly working together? :rolleyes: Maybe you're on to something.

@ EvilFishtank: Thanks! And yes, the backstory will slowly come out over the course of the AAR - and I'm glad you think the tension is building up... that's what I'm trying to write; a tension-thriller AAR. ;)

@ Projekt 919: Thanks for coming around! And as I love the "Hunt for Red October," as it seems you do; I'm sure you'll find the inspiration and shout-outs to that movie and novel.

@ endier: I couldn't resist, the X-Files is one of my favorite series of all time. It leaves the plot behind Operation Wallenstein and the U-SSN 881 up in the air. ;) But if you continue to reveal the crew, the crew might just reveal you to Cpt. Kruger! :p

@ jonlucero: Thanks, hopefully you can catch up quickly.

@ Red Eagle: Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Chapter Two: The Plot Behind U-SSN 881

Frank Brown, behind an old trash can, opened fire against his pursuers coming out of the car beside him. His gun capping off as quick as his fingers could squeeze. The first man out of the car, a man dressed in a black suit, fell immediately to the ground, his gun falling to the street. The passenger, having been the first out, fired back violently at the FBI Agent who fled his position as Beck and another man used the car as a shield and fired back at him.

As Frank ran, the passenger check the pulse of their comrade, shot twice in the chest, but he was still breathing but in critical condition. Peter Beck and his other comrade gave chase to Frank Brown, who occasionally turned back and fired blindly as his pursuers, the comrade of Beck tripping as he tried to leap over a small fence that blocked his path. Beck looked back, watching his grey-clad associate pull himself to his feet. Peter Beck halted, taking careful aim with pistol and aligning Frank’s head with his path of travel. As he pulled the trigger, the bullet hit the side of the building, directly where Frank’s head would have been if it wasn’t for the building shielding Frank’s turn down the alley.

Peter and his associate followed after, down the darken alley-way. As they made their turn into the alleys, a bullet struck Peter’s associate in the shoulder, but this didn’t cause him to fall. A second however, whipping through the air, struck him the chest. He fell, giving Peter a look of shock and awe, nodding his head that he should go forward. The alley then lit up with gunfire as the two men exchanged fire blindly before Peter ducked behind an old box. He changed his magazine and popping up again but without gunfire being returned.

He ran forward, checking the corners of the each alley to find nothing. He noticed a small door, open, and immediately went inside to check it. As he did, Frank was hiding in a small crawl space, a space that was actually an air duct for the building. The man that just tried to gun him down paced the hallways of the building, looking at where Frank could’ve possibly run off into. After several minutes, he withdrew, heading back into the alley and dragging his partner to his feet and carrying him back to the car, full of bullet-holes as they drove off to take their two injured comrades to a nearby hospital.

Frank gave a deep sigh of relief. He made his way out of the small air duct, standing against the wall of the building and resting along it. He took his hands, slicked back his hair and placed his hat back on his head with a nervous look on his face. He thought to himself, who the hell could those men have been, and why were they trying to kill him? He made his way to his car and drove back to the bureau.

~ London, United Kingdom. 20 March, 1947.

Nathan Banks rushed into the SIS offices of his partner (if you could say that) John Brooks. As he did, excitement ran through his body.

“We have her!” he shouted, handing a piece of paper to his British comrade.

“What do you mean?” John asked looking at both the paper and Nathan.

“The U-Boat, we have her locations! She’s off the coast of Scotland right now. About fifty miles out.”

“How do you know?”

“Our insider, he’s onboard the U-SSN 881. I can’t believe it. He’s given us everything. The captain is Paul Kruger, the rear-captain is Robert Gysae, I have the name of the junior officers, the serial number of the submarine and everything. There’s no way in hell that he isn’t onboard if he could get me this kind of information.”

“Calm down Nathan, I need you to read this,” said John calmly, handing him a paper that was forwarded to Ambassador Joseph Kennedy. It was signed by General’s MacArthur and Eisenhower, and Admiral’s Fletcher and Nimitz. It was a direct order for Kennedy and Admiral John McCain II, commander of the Sixth Battle Fleet located off the coast of Ireland.

“This can’t be,” said Nathan Banks.

“I’m sorry, but those are the orders going on right now. The Royal Navy is at your command…”

About a half-hour later, Nathan Banks came back into the offices of John Brooks, throwing his rain jacket and hat on the table, himself already well-dressed to handle the messy weather up in Scotland.

“Well what in the bloody hell do you think you’re doing?”

“Let’s go John, I got a private plane to Scapa Flow. We’ll going to board the HMS Agincourt and find that lost U-Boat ourselves.”

“You can’t do that, you don’t have clearance to do something like that,” John said frantically.

“Just try and stop me,” he said, handing him a letter signed by the Head of the SIS department, and a stamp from the British Foreign Ministry already on the paper.

“That’s impossible,” said Brooks.

“Possible, just with i-m in front of it,” he said as he rushed out into the streets of London. He called for a taxi to take him to the airport, as he did, John Brooks came racing out after him.

“Just what in the hell do you plan on doing John Wayne?”

“I’m going to find that U-Boat, I don’t believe that a rogue crew has hijacked it yet. I think there is something bigger to it than just a couple of crazies seizing control of Germany’s newest weapon.”

Nathan Banks and John Brooks made their way in a cab to a nearby RAF Air base where a military transport was ready to take them to Scapa Flow, the naval yard of the Royal Navy, or, what was still left of it. Despite heavy losses in the previous war, the RN was still a formidable force to contend with on the high seas: 6 Battleships, 3 Aircraft Carriers, 25 Heavy and light cruisers, an assorted amount of destroyers and an assorted amount of submarines. Although smaller than her American counterpart, and around the same size as there German comrades, the German Kriegsmarine was, of the three, the only capable of first-strike, but the USN was the only to assert power projection.

As they flew up to the Royal Navy Command, the situation in the North Sea was getting ever more intense. With the American and British governments communicating on a topic so strange, and all the while the entire German North Sea Fleet was out of their bases in Bremen and Kiel, the North Sea was floating pond of some 150 warships; British, German, and American.

By early morning, Nathan Banks and John Brooks landed in Scapa Flow and immediately proceeded to the Naval Harbor where several British warships were stationed, most of them light cruisers and destroyers. The two men boarded the HMS Belfast, a Town-class light cruiser commanded by Captain Robert Strokes.

“Gentlemen,” said the captain, up with his staff at this early morning hour awaiting the arrival of both Nathan and John, “welcome to the HMS Belfast.”

“Captain,” acknowledged both of them.

“You men look tired. Rest up, catch a little sleep. Tomorrow is a big day for us, and God bless us everyone,” finished Captain Robert Strokes.

Now the games begin.
US, UK and Germany are playing "Catch the U-Boat"
And the information leak adds a twist again.
(Is that in the Red october book ? It is not in the movie)

As no new part on the 881 is done yet, no need to reveal the crew further :D

Looks like the Chase is on for the U-SSN 881! Excellent work yet again, wonderfully written and always an "edge" of your seat read so far.

Keep up the great work! And Happy Holidays. ;)

This unofficially on hold until I can bring myself to write again. :eek:o

The Plot Behind U-SSN 881

Pantheon5.jpg

The Reich Pantheon, New Berlin, Capital of Greater Germania and the residence of the armed ministries and the Fuhrer – Reinhard Heydrich.

~ Naval Arms Ministry, Pantheon Halls, New Berlin.

Inside the halls of the newly finished New Berlin Pantheon, two naval officers, one appearing to hold the rank of Rear Admiral by his decals, and the other appearing to be a captain (more than likely the aide-de-camp to the Rear Admiral), were walking steadily down the halls of the naval-wing to the Fuhrer’s office.

Outside the offices of Reinhard Heydrich, closely positioned guards opened the Gothic-Style marble doors and silver handles; opening the Fuhrer’s office to the naval men who had been sent by Grand Admiral Karl Donitz himself to speak to Heydrich.

“Mein Fuhrer, we have a situation,” opened the Rear Admiral as the captain placed a brown briefcase atop of Heydrich’s desk. The Fuhrer of Germania looked up at the face of the two naval officers, the Admiral maintaining a calm and collected face, while the more inexperienced junior officer seemed nervous.

“Tell me dear man, what is wrong?” Heydrich asked directly to the captain, who looked behind to the Admiral for clearance to proceed in the face of the Fuhrer.

“Mein Fuhrer, the U-SSN 881, our latest super-sub is missing, the United States is threatening war, and we have lost all communications and radar contact with the submarine. Ambassador Veck wants to know what is our current plan of action. The US is insisting, President Wallace is insisting on knowing why half of the Kriegsmarine is in the North Sea. He wants your confirmation, not the confirmation of Ambassador Veck.”

“Admiral, is this true?” asked Heydrich.

“Jawohl.”

“We are hunting the ship of course,” Heydrich said.

“But that’s not working…” replied the captain.

“Well, tell them the truth. Captain Kruger went rogue. Here,” said Heydrich, handing the captain a letter stamped with the appropiate markings and signed personally by Admiral von Friedburg. “That’s the written confirmation, signed by Captain Kruger himself; stating his intention to fire his missiles on the United States,” Reinhard Heydrich paused, looking up to the ceiling and licking his lips. “Tell Admiral Donitz to find and sink that son of a b***h, and that I want a part of the ship with Captain Kruger’s blood on it. We didn’t work and fight this hard to engage in nuclear warfare with the United States. Today Europe, one day, but not now, America. But until that day comes, I will not let some petty captain dethrone me. Gentlemen, good luck.”

~ Washington DC

Frank Brown was inside the FBI Building, personally talking with J. Edgar Hoover and the front staff of the FBI about the situation at hand, and the situation that Frank Brown had just encountered.

“I’m telling you, they spoke German,” Frank said.

“Spies,” replied Joseph Harper, a top official in the FBI Directory.

“You can’t be so sure of that Hark, spies wouldn’t be armed,” replied Agent Criss from across the table.

“Well sir,” Harper said, turning to Hoover, “what do you think of the situation at hand. Certainly we can’t let a nuclear war develop, mainly because I don’t believe the Progressive Wallace Administration has the balls to respond with all of America’s might.”

“That’s enough Harper,” replied Hoover, turning around with a cigar in his mouth. “This is a delicate situation for sure. I agree with Criss, they can’t be spies because this isn’t the nature of German spies we’ve captured in the past. And it’s hard to think that the Germans could have planted sleeper agents and or assassins onto American soil without us knowing. I can’t think of this, but I must say it – we have a rat within Washington, that’s the only thing that can explain the situation.”

“You don’t mean,” Harper started to say.

“Yes, someone with a high office of authority must be working for the Germans. Harper, you have thirty minutes to gather your finest men and proceed to the Operation Room. Thirty minutes!”

“Yes sir,” Harper said, leaping from his chair and walking out of the room and into the main lobby.

“Criss, Brown, come with me,” said Hoover as they left the room, walking down the hall towards the Operation Room.

“The Operation Room?” asked Agent Brown to Agent Criss.

“Beats me,” replied Agent Criss to Agent Brown’s question.

Thirty minutes passed when Joseph Harper returned with 24 of the finest FBI Agents that the Bureau could offer. All of the men, outside of Hoover and Harper were shocked when they walked into the Roman-style halls and lobby of the fabled and mythic “Operation Room” inside the FBI Department. Once everyone was seated, Hoover took to the podium and presented a silent film behind him as he began to speak.

“You all know me (…) Today, today we have a very important and critical situation on our hands. This room, this country, this magnificent place called Washington, all in jeopardy. I’ve gathered all of you hear into the fabled Operation Room, take a good luck at it, it’s probably the last time you’ll ever be inside. We’ve used this room once before, back in 1934 when the gangsters and mobsters ran wild in the streets. Melvin Purvis among other men, were the one’s lucky enough to grace this room in a time of a great strain and struggle. What I told him, I shall tell you. We have a traitor inside Washington DC. We have ourselves a rat gentlemen, a rat.

"In the span of 48-hours, a German Nuclear Submarine, able to pack, upwards of two nuclear warheads has gone rogue from German ports, destination: the Atlantic Seaboard. We have all intensive purpose to believe we have less than five days before that sub parks her goods off of Washington and New York. You have four days to find, interrogate, and fumigate the rat. Good luck.”

462px-lepke_buchalter_and_j_edgar_h.jpg

FBI Agents leaving the Bureau with a mission personally given by J. Edgar Hoover; possibly the most powerful man in the United States, “fumigate the rat.”

------

Can anyone name the designer of the fabled German utopian city envisioned by Hitler throughout the Second World War, now coming to life in this AAR?

And, sorry all for a long pause and holding period (for anyone who did care). I didn't have the "want" or "drive" for an extended period to continue writing in narrative-prose.

You are probably thinking of Albert Speer, Hitler's most trusted architect and later Minister of Armament.

A rat?

Mickey Mouse might feel offended by the comparison.:p

Hello Volksmarshall,
Super reading. like reading a book. Didnt see it until now.
Perfectly done. Hope you finish this. And like someone else stated its Speer, Albert.
Must say when you wrote the Donitz says that the americans going to war , i would say he is also in the complot.
From now on ill be sure to follow our Kaleun Kruger and his lost u-boat :rolleyes:

@ Federkiel: Albert Speel is the correct answer! I think I need to start ramping up the difficulty of the questions presented in this AAR, so far, the readAARs are 3 for 3 and with room to spare. Hope you enjoyed my rubbish writing skills! :cool:

@ EvilFishtank: Thank you! Glad to know some people are still interested in this AAR.

@ loki100: Refreshing and different, why thank you! Although I don't think it's that refreshing or different. It's really the Hunt for the Red October souped up on steroids and is... well, actually, other than the concept, it's not really going to be anything like the hunt for the Red October... so I guess you're right! :p Thanks!

@ bunkerbuster: Just about the biggest and most incredible conspiracy of the twentieth century, but that's if that is uncovered.

@ Kurt_Steiner: A rat, in terms of a traitor, and I meant no bad intentions to Mickey Mouse, I love that little Disney character! :p (No, really, I do. Nothing beats getting your picture with Mickey Mouse in Disney World, you're never to old for that!)

@ pwncake111: Thanks! I'm glad you like it, and I'm glad to know that some people are still reading it. Seems like narratives are always tough to increase in readership once you've started. IMO, reading is becoming a lost art; and that's a shame. Nothing against gameplay AARs, especially since there are a lot out there, and some are very good as I follow them, I like to indulge in the narratives, and the less-picture heavy history books; there's a lot more writing, research, and heart that goes into it rather than a 15 pictures with a sentence describing each. And yes, it's indeed Albert Speer; I need to get some tougher questions. As for Donitz being in the plot, whose to say he's not? After all, I'm the gatekeeper for this AAR! :cool:

The Plot Behind U-SSN 881

North Sea, off the port of Scapa Flow

By morning the next day, Nathan Banks and John Brooks were awoken by the sudden shift on the HMS Belfast, Captain Robert Strokes was taking the Royal Naval ship out into the North Atlantic, along with several other hunter-killer destroyers and light cruisers in search for the rogue German submarine. Banks and Brooks, once dressed, walked quickly to the bridge where Captain Strokes looked back to the ports of Scapa Flow, remembering the first time (as a junior officer) he left the ports of Scapa Flow during war-time.

As Banks and Brooks entered, the captain was having flashbacks of the great naval battle between the Germans and Royal Navy in the North Sea, 1941. He saw the might of the Kriegsmarine, seven battleships in all, firing deadly projectiles against the British Home Fleet of nine battleships and two carriers. Despite the advantage, the British were caught off guard and their carriers didn’t play an important role during the battle. The captain flashed back to the moment he was that youthful lieutenant, right next to his captain who was shouting orders only moments before the traumatic experience. As Captain Strokes turned to receive the orders, a German shell from the KMS Bismarck, or the KMS Scharnhorst ripped through the bridge. The explosion was so great, it rocked the heavy cruiser HMS Kent through the waters. When Strokes stumbled to his feet, bleeding from his face and arms, all that was left of the captain (and for that matter much of the officer corps in the bridge) was a pile of red water.

“Captain,” said Nathan Banks, interrupting the captain’s flashback to war. “Captain, I would like to know where your nearest free radio is, and what the hell your mission is. I need to keep the USS Midway informed of the situation that might be unfolding in the North Sea – they’re currently steaming for the Irish Sea, the United States Sixth Fleet. Sir? Sir?”

The captain turned around, “Lieutenant Wells,” he called out. The British officer responded.

“Yes captain,” replied Lt. Wells.

“Take Nathan Banks and Jonathon Brooks to the free radio in the cabin deck. Show them how to connect and work that bloody bastard, and inform them on our intention of finding that damn submarine and blowing it kingdom come.”

“Aye captain,” replied Lt. Wells

“Rule Britannia,” finished Captain Strokes as he took his spyglass from his desk and peered out into the ocean in hopes to locate the lost German U-Boat.

In the halls, Lt. Wells, informed the duo (Banks and Brown) about the current plan of attack for the Royal Navy. “Just this morning, Prime Minister Attlee and the Naval Arm Ministry has granted us clearance to engage the German submarine. How is that possible, the German Chancellery has given us clearance to, if we find her, to destroy her as the German Navy is on the same mission; but of course, they’re light years behind us in technology and hunter-killer tactics,” chuckled the British lieutenant.

“Please tell me you have battle experience?” asked John Brooks.

“Of course, I served in Southeast Asia from 1944 until 1945, and then stationed in the Home Fleet from 1946 until the end of the war.”

“Thank God,” whispered Banks into Brooks’ ear.

“Here we are,” said Lt. Wells, pulling out the radio, quickly informing them on how to use it. As he did, an alarm was signaled by the Bridge, “All hands, man your battle stations!”

In a flash, the crew of the light cruiser, HMS Belfast, jumped to positions, just as Captain Strokes was looking out into the sea, quickly clearing of a light fog to show a small and nimble shadow in the distance. As the fog quickly vanished, it became obvious that the HMS Belfast had found the U-SSN 881, which had surfaced during the storm late last night that past over the seas resulting in the fog. Most of the crew was on the decks, and in a heartbeat, the two rivaling crews were facing off against each other.

“Batteries one and two, proceed and fire on my command,” said Captain Strokes.

On the U-SSN 881, Captain Kruger shouted orders to his men, ordering them all back inside the ship and ordering Captain Gysae to dive immediately, regardless of who was still on the ship’s prow. As Captain Gysae and the crew rushed back into the hull, Lieutenant Kress and a few other sailors broke into the emergency armory box, stationed directly to the left of the 120mm gun at the bow of the ship, still distinguished were the new super subs that the ministry had ordered an upgrade weapon on their new U-Boat fleet, just as a precautionary measure that the “pride” of the Kriegsmarine wouldn’t be a sitting duck when surfaced.

“Lieutenant what the hell are you doing?” cried out Captain Gysae. Just as he completed, a round from the HMS Belfast hit the waters, no less than twenty feet away from the U-Boat, the water mound that shot into the air came down, soaking Captain Kruger and those who remained on the deck. Another shell from the HMS Belfast struck about the same distance away from the U-Boat as before, causing Lt. Ruth to slip as he was returning to the hull.

Inside the HMS Belfast, Captain Strokes ordered the forward batteries to unleash all shells onto the target, also ordering all minor batteries and anti-aircraft guns to do the same. As the ship began to rock with the force of a volley from the light cruiser’s 6-inch guns, Nathan Banks and John Brooks were rushing back to the bridge through the crowded and noisy halls. As they entered the bridge, Lt. Wells prevented them from reaching the captain under this time of battle. An argument broke out between the three men, as it began to spike, Lt. Wells pulled out his service sidearm and nervously pointed at the two agents.

“The captain can’t see you right now,” he mouthed, unable to be heard by Banks and Brooks as the ship unleashed another volley of her six inch guns, one of which stroke the top end of the U-SSN 881 radar’s antenna; causing the ship to lose all radar abilities as the shell took the tip of the ship, but didn’t explode because of the thin metal material that it struck, contrast to the heavy metal hull of the ship.

“Lieutenant, get your ass back into the ship!”

“I will not have this ship shot out from beneath me!” replied Lt. Kress to Cpt. Kruger. “Fire!”

The crew working with Lt. Kress, which included Lt. Conrad, fired the 120mm gun at the HMS Belfast, striking the ship in the side of the hull, causing a major dent and explosion, but not penetrating the ship’s side armor. It did do enough damage to knock out two of the ships AA guns, and wound 9 sailors, none of which would die.

U202painting.jpg

Captain Kruger walked up to the lieutenant and the crew, “Get back in the ship!” Just as he said that, a six inch shell struck a few feet away from the U-SSN 881. The resulting explosion caused three of the sailors to be knocked unconscious and into the water. As that happened, the anti-aircraft guns started firing on the submarine. The captain abandoned the lieutenant and his little operation and headed back to the hull, the U-SSN 881 was already starting to descend. As it did, Lt. Kress and Conrad looked at one another and decided to abandon the gun too, as did the crew assisting them.

“What about those men captain?”

“Leave them.”

With that the crew of the U-SSN 881 was filing into the hull, the ship was moments away from submerging. As Lt. Conrad was rushing towards the hull, he slipped, hitting his head on the deck and blacked out as a result. Lt. Kress looked back at him, then looked back at Cpt. Kruger who was waiving for him to get inside.

“Come on, come on!”

Lt. Kress backtracked, rushed back for Lt. Conrad, picking him up and bringing him into the hull of the submarine just as it submerged. “Get inside,” replied Cpt. Kruger as he closed the hatch just as water was pouring into the submarine. Kruger made his way to Cpt. Gysae, soaking wet, his navy-blue uniform tainted black by the water of the North Sea. “Dive!”

Back on the HMS Belfast, Captain Strokes ordered the HMS Tribal, now assisting the light cruiser to prepare for depth charges, then, “Lieutenant, give the orders and prepare for depth charges,” stated Cpt. Strokes, looking at Nathan Banks and John Brooks as he exited the bridge and made his way to the decks of the ship to inspect the minor damage done to his vessel.

Another excellent piece of writing!

Is "“I will not have this ship shot out from beneath me!”" a famous quote? I can't help but feel as though its one of those like famous war quotes. Maybe I'm wrong:confused:

Anyway I'm excited about what is going to happen. I actually wanted the "lost u-boat" to be sunk so everybody could be happy. At least the radar got messed up so it'll be a little bit harder for them to carry out their mission.

I hate cliffhangers...