• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

volksmarschall

Chasing Mountains, Brews, Books, and Byron
31 Badges
Nov 29, 2008
voegelinview.com
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Hello everyone, I would like to welcome you to my first HoI 3 AAR, played as Germany during the Grand Campaign. First off, I must say this this AAR, “The Lost U-Boat” will be a narrative as I thought of the story to go along with the game I played. Sorry for the lack of in-game pictures for I didn’t think of making this game an AAR until it was completed.

To understand the story, I made way through the Soviet Union but never allied with Japan causing the Japanese to be defeated by the United States. Likewise the United States never joined the Allies so I was never at war with the grand old USA. I controlled Europe and Eurasia, the Americans controlled Asia and North America, and Italy controlled Southern Europe, Africa and most of the Middle-East. I never successfully captured Britain, but their loss of India and her African Colonies allowed for a peace in 1946, after Adolf Hitler died, and Reinhard Heydrich, who survived his assassination attempt in Prague elevated to the level of Fuhrer.

This story is set in the final years of my game: 1947-1948 and is centered around one of my nuclear submarines and the problems that it caused in the deep Atlantic bringing the new Cold War between the United States and Germany to it’s climax and a potential nuclear war between the two superpower and the greatest conspiracy of the twentieth century...

So I present to you...

The Lost U-Boat

U552u-boatartsigned.jpg

Table of Contents:
Introduction (below)​
Chapter I: The U-SSN 881​
Chapter II: The Plot Behind U-SSN 881​

Secret Weapons, Places, and People

Lippisch P.13 Jet Aircraft
New Berlin ("Germania"), Hitler's Supercity; designed by Albert Speer

Last edited:
17. March, 1947. Antwerp, Germany – Western Kriegsmarine Headquarters.

It was a bright March day, the sun was out, the clouds were scattered, the blue skies were up in full-swing, but the weather was still; rather, cold. A German Kubelwagen pulled up from the streets, passing the many decorative brick buildings as it pulled up to the General Headquarters Building, a former Belgian Courthouse. As the car came to a halt, a German soldier standing guard walked up to the passenger side of the vehicle, opening the door and saluting the man who stepped out; the highly decorated Admiral Hans-Georg von Friedburg.

“Guten Morgen, Herr Admiral,” said a German officer waiting only a few feet away, saluting him as he got out of the car.

Admiral Friedburg nodded his head in acknowledgement, as he got out of his car he started to walk with the young officer towards the Headquarters entrance.

“Talk to me,” said the Admiral to the young lieutenant.

“Well, Admiral, as you probably already know we have just commissioned two brand new Type XXVII Nuclear Submarines, nicely nicknamed “Sea Wolf” and our on new display, one of them in Bremen, and the other in the North Atlantic heading to our ports here.”

“And?”

“And what?” said the young officer as they walked inside the building, “Deputy Hoffman hasn’t told you yet? You’re the new commander of this department, and an important, confidential operation is waiting on your new desk where Feldmarschall Bock is waiting for you.”

425_1.jpg

“Is that all lieutenant?”

“That’s all I’ve been given to brief you with Herr Admiral.”

The officer walked forward, opening the door for the Admiral’s new department confines, inside many Kriegsmarine and Wehrmacht commanders were waiting for him.

“It’s an honor to have you here at last Herr Admiral,” said an Army Colonel. “I regret to inform you Feldmarschall Bock isn’t able to attend right now, he’s still in Paris.”

“Why have I been summoned out here Herr Oberst?”

“You don’t know yet?” asked the confused younger officer. “Will you excuse us gentlemen?” he said to the other officers inside the room who all made their way to the exit for the time being.

Admiral Friedburg then walked over to his desk, taking off his gloves and placing them down on the table and looked out through his window at the sky above.

“Tell me Herr Oberst, why haven’t we made a move on America yet?”

“Well, sir, we aren’t at war. After the death of Adolf Hitler…”

“Yes, his death was tragic, but we still have all of Europe, and most of Eurasia under our belts. What is this submarine heading here of any importance to me?”

“Sir, that’s what this is all about. It has orders from High Command to move to Iceland where it is going to display her full capabilities U-SSN 881 is a revolution of it’s class. Her internal body can carry two nuclear rockets, and her objective is to see just how effective her battle capabilities are and how effective our new nuclear rockets are.”

Admiral Friedburg turned around, “Why Iceland?”

“It’s small, isolated, no one would know about it. It would take months, maybe a year before the Americans would have any clue.”

“Herr Oberst, don’t forget the Americans own almost all of Asia now. Their navy is stronger and larger than our own.”

“Yes Herr Admiral, but we have the edge now. Not only can they carry nuclear missiles, but this new class of submarines can sink an American carrier with one torpedo.”

“Who is the rat’s tale of a man in charge of this operation?”

“You are sir, and Captain Paul Kruger is the man who will be leading the ship.”

“Brief me,” said Admiral Friedburg as he took his seat. The Colonel placed a confidential package on the Admiral’s desk.

“He was born in 1898 in Austria-Hungary, he served in the Great War as an Austrian Alpine soldier, moved to Bavaria in 1919 after the collapse of the Empire. He volunteered for the Reichsmarine in 1926, and was a unterseeboot lieutenant during the British Campaign, and most recently has been commissioned as a U-Boat captain commanding U-552 in the Mediterranean and sunk three British merchant vessels and one destroyer from 1944 to 1945, and then placed into an administrative role overseeing the production of the two new submarines.”

Admiral Friedburg sat back and sighed, looking at a painting of Adolf Hitler the old Fuhrer and a new painting of Reinhard Heydrich the new Fuhrer of Greater Germany after the death of Adolf Hitler in 1946. Admiral Friedburg looked back at the colonel, “I suppose this is the fate of God?”

“God sir?”

“Yes, sometimes I wonder whose side God is really on.”

17. March, 1947, London, United Kingdom.

SIS Headquarters, Vauxhall.

“Good day Mr. Brooks,” said a fellow associate in the SIS Headquarter Halls as Jonathon Brooks walked down the halls to his office. As he stood at his door, he took out his key and entered his room, turning on the lights to see a figure sitting in his chair.

“Who the bloody hell are you?”

“I’m sorry if I startled you Mr. Brooks,” said the man as he turned the chair around to reveal himself. “I’m Nathan Banks,” an American Government official, I think that substitutes all you need to know about me for the time right now.”

“You just think you damn Yanks can just walk into England after what happened in Europe and Africa?”

“I’m terribly sorry about this, but that’s what happens when the people elected Alfred Landon as President. Look,” said Nathan as he paused, “We have important information to share to you. We have an insider in Germany right now who has informed us of a new German submarine, U-SSN 881. He says it’s some kind of nuclear submarine and is capable of devastating effects, and one of them has left port and is somewhere out in the Atlantic right now.”

“Why haven’t I heard of this?”

“I’m not sure, but this is all I know. That submarine cannot, and I mean cannot be left untouched and unchecked or there might be 150 million Americans dead or dying…”

Last edited:
Amazing stuff, and a great plot and storyline by the looks of it. I'll be following for sure!

Thanks, I hope you enjoyed it!

I'll be keeping up. You have a good start there.

Thanks! I'm glad you think that, I'll be doing my best! :)

A new volksmarschall AAR! Excellent, and I must say well-written as always; plus, you have a very engaging story already! :cool:

Glad to have you onboard Erie_Patriot! I hope you'll enjoy this AAR as well as my others! ;)

Chapter One

18. March, 1947. Antwerp, Germany.

A man pulled up in another Kubelwagen and exited with much haste, walking at quick pace into the Western Kriegsmarine District Headquarters building. He walked in, a nice and young 47 year old, blonde hair and blue eyes walking straight for Admiral Friedburg’s office. The young U-Boat captain knocked on the door.

“Come in,” said the man in the room (Admiral Friedburg). As Paul Kruger walked into the room he was pleasantly met by Admiral Friedburg who had already a glass of wine poured for the U-Boat captain. “It’s nice to meet you in person Mr. Kruger.”

“Likewise Herr Admiral, may I ask…”

“No, you already know why you’re here, let me brief you quickly…”

After the Admiral had briefed the U-Boat captain on his mission he was told that the submarine had just docked only hours ago with the crew that was going to work with the captain on this all-important mission. The captain nodded his head and thanked the Admiral for the wine and briefing and turned about, walking out of the room and heading back into his Kubelwagen that was just as quick to turn around and take him to the docks. Admiral Friedburg, with his glass of wine still in his hand looked out the window at the captain as he left for his post, and then was disturbed by another man at the door.

“Herr Admiral, Feldmarschall von Bock is here to see you.”

“Let him in,” said the Admiral calmly as the Volkswagen pulled away from sight.

On the roads heading for the docks, Captain Kruger took several deep breaths, taking his captain’s hat off and stroking back his hair quickly followed by placing his officer’s hat back on his head. The driver pulled up to the docks and stopped the car, it was a bleak day, the dark clouds were out and it appeared as if it was going to rain rather soon.

“Thank you,” said the captain as he got out of the car and walked towards a lieutenant who was waiting for him.

“Captain Kruger?” asked the young 30 year old lieutenant.

“Aye,” replied the experienced veteran.

“A pleasure to meet you at last. I’m Lieutenant Peter Kress, secondary officer on this ship, well, third now that you’ve arrived. Come; let me take you to your quarters. I have word we leave in morning.”

“That would be lovely,” said Captain Kruger as he held his hat on his head as the winds began to pick up.

They entered the submarine, rather spacious in comparison to what Captain Paul Kruger had been accustomed too. He walked around the crew, many young and idealistic faces, mainly in their early twenties, some perhaps in their teens; most of whom had never experienced combat before; even in the officer’s corps onboard this ship. Lieutenant Kress walked him to his doors, opening them to show a rather large office for him, a desk, chair and everything.

“Right next door is Captain Robert Gysae’s room; the senior secondary commander behind you. You know, the big shot U-Boat captain. Try not to upset him.”

Captain Kruger laughed, “I remember to think I’m in charge here.”

Lieutenant Kress smiled and moved to his left to uncover an SS-Major who was standing behind him. The large SS-Major walked into the office with the captain and introduced himself, “I’m Major Pelzer, Administrative SS. I’ll be accompanying you to ensure a mission success if you would say so.”

“Is that so,” said the captain.

“Yes. You know, I don’t understand it sometimes. I think we should have ended the last war by taking England and America.”

“And that’s exactly why I’m captain of this boat,” said Kruger, taking out a Walter P-38 from inside his jacket and placing it on the desk beside him. He walked over and closed the door behind the SS Major and sat down at the desk.

“You’re a man of good sense captain. To bad Hitler died, he would have certainly pushed for a war with America. You know, we’ve captured four renegades this month trying to start the war up against America…”

“Here’s to a fifth,” said Captain Kruger, picking up his P-38 and shooting the SS-Major square in the head, his head exploded and brains falling out from his skull. The Major landed on his back, knocked cleaned off his chair. The captain walked over to him and dragged his body to a local locker, stuffing him inside and dropping a bottle of red wine where his blood lay to make it look like an accident.

The captain walked out and met the crew, including Captain Gysae who was eager to meet the man who was going to lead them on their little expedition, although no one outside of Captain Kruger knew the true nature of this mission: his trip to Iceland wasn’t going to be a trip to Iceland, but a trip to New York City instead. The captain smiled and began to talk with his new subordinate Captain Gysae telling him they make for water by nightfall, not morning like originally scheduled.

18. March, Washington DC, United States of America.

A man sitting in a chair looking a letter of urgent importance from England; the man turned around, “Pete, we got an urgent message for President Wallace, signed Joseph Kennedy – Ambassador to the United Kingdom.”

“Forward it immediately,” replied the other man.

The first man in the chair then stamped the letter with “Critical,” and placed it on the bins to be taken by a postal carrier to the White House. The man then took a step back and started talking about other things as a postal man walked down the hall and collected the letters, checking them for any important markings like the one just labeled ‘critical.’

“Have a nice day Robert,” said the postal carrier to the man in the chair.

“Thanks Joe, you have a better one.”

The postal carrier walked out, but a single letter fell out of his bag: the letter from Ambassador Kennedy to President Wallace labeled ‘critical.’ As it hit the ground, it fell atop a street drain, resting so close to the hole as the postal carrier crossed the street. The letter was then flung into the air by a speeding car, stained from white to a mucky brown.

Inside the Wallace Administration, an advisor was talking on the phone to someone on the street corner, his fedora hat covering his eyes and rain jacket concealing his identity.

NT3778856.jpg

“Are you sure about it?” the man in the asked.

“I’m positive, the SS are onboard the ship, it won’t be heading to Iceland but to New York.”

“So it is done,” said the man in the hat.

“Yes,” replied the man on the over side of the line. “We’ll have our war soon enough.”

“Does anyone else know about this?”

“No one.”

“Good,” said the man in the hat as he hung up the phone and walked out of the phone booth walking back towards the United States Capital Building directly in front of him, gleaming bright white in this Mid-March spring day.

18. March, 1947, Vauxhall, London, SIS Headquarters.

Mr. John Brooks and Nathan Banks were engaging in spirited conversation outside of the SIS Headquarters out in the streets of London. Both men were eating a local sandwich that was prepared roadside.

“I must say Mr. Brooks, your people make the best sandwiches I’ve ever eaten in my life.”

“Thank you,” replied Mr. Brooks. “Now, back to the topic at hand.”

“Ahh, yes,” said Nathan Banks as he whipped his face from some mustard stains. “The Germans have built a nuclear-powered submarine according to our insider. It has twin-turbine engines, can virtually travel silently and is hard to detect on sonar. The biggest problem we have is it’s ability to carry up to two nuclear missiles on board, and, well, that’s the main cause of concern.”

“There’s no way in hell that bloody boat makes it passed our Grand Blockade,” added John.

“I would love to think you’re right, but German U-Boat success during the war proves otherwise. So, we lost contact with it, it’s somewhere out in the Atlantic, and our informant has told us that there are some radicals in the German Government who plan on using the ship to start a war with us. That’s our first priority concern Mr. Brooks. If America goes to war, Britain goes to war, and I highly doubt those damned Germans will hesitate in using their nuclear arsenal against us.”

“Just why are you hear then? A simple phone call would have done things right.”

“I’m here with Ambassador Kennedy, but there’s more. I can’t have him knowing the situation otherwise it could cause mass panic back home. Simply, we wait for re-contact with our insider, and if that doesn’t happen – the chase is on for that submarine.”

“Is it controlled by a radical rogue captain?”

“That’s what I fear the most Mr. Brooks, that’s what I fear the most.”

The hunt of the feldgrau wolf has begun!

SO will the plot essentially be the same as for the Hunt for Red October? Or, will it have a different ending?

Getting ever more interesting volks! Conspiracy in the Wallace Administration? Looking for more!

Thanks, and well, the Wallace Administration is going to play a key role in the rest of this AAR in more ways than one... what does that mean, well, I'm working on that part right now! :p

Nice set up with plot inside plot. What is going to happen in the Wallace administration?

Thanks, and its a great pleasure to have a comment from you and good to see that you're out of the hospital and seemingly doing well. Hopefully you'll be up and running just like in the past.

The hunt of the feldgrau wolf has begun!
Indeed it has, and so, the hunt to reveal a great conspiracy also begins! :eek:

Excellent, the plot thickens... a conspiracy in the Henry Wallace's White House could lead to so many possibilities for this to go down!

The plot indeed thickens, and the Wallace People are going to be in for the ride of their lives in the next few weeks.

SO will the plot essentially be the same as for the Hunt for Red October? Or, will it have a different ending?

Well, obviously the idea comes from a great novel and movie (one of my favorites) but the plot is different from the Red October and dives into a conspiracy movement within both factions: America and Germany, dives into the realm of Rogue SS fanatics still loyal to Hitler, and the ever so impending chase to find the Ship that can cause a new war between America and Germany. The rough idea however - is the same.

Chapter One

Inside the halls of U-SSN 881, Captain Kruger walked amongst the crew, taking count of who was present and who wasn’t present. He talked amongst most of the crew, and the crew seemed to take a kind liking to the older captain while the majority of the junior officers were only a few years older than most of the crew members like Lieutenant Kress, who was only 26 years old.

“Is everyone accounted for Captain?” asked Captain Kruger to his subordinate Captain Robert Gysae.

“Everyone who’s anyone,” replied Captain Gysae. “So, may I ask, what is our mission?”

“Confidential, I cannot say until I receive conformation from Admiral Friedburg himself.”

“Is that so,” sighed Captain Gysae, putting his head down.

“Although, I can discuss this with you in my private quarters after we hit the sea. Give the command, it’ll be your honor.”

“All hands on deck, prepare for launch!” shouting Captain Gysae.

In a flash, the crew was lively, hoping up from their benches and from the quarters and running to their posts as the final boxes were shipped down from the docks into the submarine cargo’s bay; and then, within moments, the ship started to plunge into the harbor of Antwerp.

On the roads behind them two German Kubelwagens pulled up to the position of the docked submarine. Three soldiers jumped out from the back and the lead officer, by his uniform a colonel jumped out immediately as well, his polished boots shining in the moonlight.

“Stop that ship!” he shouted as he ran towards the docks edges, watching the U-Boat slowly make its way towards the harbor. “Where’s the communications bridge?” he asked nervously. The soldiers looked at each other, stumped at what was happening before them. “Go,” shouted the colonel, swiping his lower face with his glove-covered hands, quickly followed by doing so to his forehead.

The docks were livid with movement and random shouting’s. “Herr Standartenfuhrer,” cried out one of his soldier’s wielding an MP-40, “the harbor commissioner is on the line.”

The SS colonel ran to the phone link, grabbing the phone from the hands of his soldier, “Close the harbor, this is a direct order from Grand Admiral Donitz!”

“Close the harbor?” replied the harbor commissioner on the other side of the phone.

“Ja! Now! That’s an order!” shouted the SS colonel looking at the submarine as it ducked under the surface of the water. After seeing this he slammed his fist into the wall, “Nein!”

The submarine, U-SSN 881 had just gotten out of the harbor and was making steam for the Mid Atlantic.

Inside, the crew was calm and at ease. Captain Kruger gave Lieutenant Kress command as he and Captain Gysae went to Kruger’s office. The two men entered the room and began to talk about the severity of their mission.

“Listen,” said Captain Kruger, “This is all important, we have a mission to New York City.”

“New York?”

“New York,” insisted the Captain Kruger.

“I was briefed, perhaps not as much as you, but I was told we were heading to Iceland?”

“Change of plans, SS orders,” said the Captain as he walked over to Captain Gysae and whispered something into his ear.

“How many men know of this plan?”

“No one other than yourself, and I handpicked you for to be my subordinate because I knew that’s in your plans as well, am I right?”

“Of course,” answered Captain Gysae.

“Just keep a low profile, we’ll talk to the crew about this when the time comes. And silence all radio communications with Berlin.”

19. March, 1947. London, United Kingdom

Nathan Banks was with John Brooks in a local pub talking about the missing German U-Boat. It was yesterday that John Brooks was informed by the SIS Commission of the missing German U-Boat, only a day behind that of the American Nathan Banks. The two were discussing the realistic outcomes of the missing submarine. The two were discussing that it could be a training exercise, a secret mission, and other assorted possibilities.

From outside however, a British gentleman, another SIS Agent came running inside to pub and called out for John Brooks.

“Right over here Richard,” said John raising his hand that held his cup of scotch-whiskey. His fellow Agent walked over to him and handed him a piece of paper and then walked out.

“Take a look at this Banks,” said Brooks.

“What is it?”

“British intelligence photographs on that submarine you’re talking about. Take a look at what this ship is packing inside.”

“What is it?”

“I don’t know, but you’re insider said they can house ballistic missiles inside that thing, well, I think we need to take a closer look with some professionals.

The two men walked out of the pub and for the SIS Photography Division in the west-wing of the building. The two men entered a room where a one Dr. James Reed was waiting for them. The doctor was a Scotsman, orange hair and beard, wearing a grey suit smiling as the two men walked in. “Good day Mr. Brooks, who is your friend?”

“An American, Nathan Banks.”

“Pleased to meet you,” said Nathan to the British-Scot Doctor.

“Likewise, so, do you have the photographs?”

“Here,” said John Brooks, throwing the photographs onto the doctor’s desk.

Dr. Reed carefully picked up the photographs, a magnifying glass in one hand, and the photo is his other. He was squinting at the halls of the submarine, looking at the four pictures that the British Intelligence Agency somehow smuggled out of Germany without the Germans knowing. The doctor paused and looked up at both men baffled, “They built this thing? This isn’t a hoax right?”

“Right on doc, they built that ship,” said Nathan, “we have an insider, we’ve known about the ship for some time now, but until now, we dismissed all evidence about it.”

“That’s insane, how is it that the Yanks knew about this before us?”

“I don’t know.”

“Take a look at those tubes in the back, what can you make of that?” asked Nathan, “I mean, that’s the real problem on our hands… you know what, can I get second copies so we can forward this to Washington?”

German Strategic High Command, Berlin, Germany

Two high ranking officers were storming through the halls of the German Military Headquarters in Berlin, heading straight to Karl Donitz’s offices on the east-wing of the building. Their hands were covered with dark leather gloves, both men carrying a briefcase in their right hands. Their black boots glistened in the lighting, and made loud cracking sounds every time they took a step.

The two men paused in front of Karl Donitz’s offices, two soldiers standing guard with Mauser Kar 98K’s stood at the post, both men took a step to the side and opened the door.

The two gentlemen officer’s walked in, their colors proudly displayed across their chest.

“Herr Admiral,” said one of the men, “we have a situation on our hands.”

Admiral Donitz stood up from his chair, looking at both men, “What is it?” he calmly asked them.

“This,” replied the other officer, taking his briefcase and placing it on the table, opening it up and pulling out a letter signed by Captain Paul Kruger to the German High Admiralty – Karl Donitz.

Admiral Donitz looked down at the paper, recognizing the name of the captain and quickly opened the letter and began reading it. The Admiral dropped back into his chair, he took his cap off of his head and placed it on his desk. “Get me Admiral Friedburg or Feldmarschall von Bock immediately.”

“Right away Admiral,” said one of the officers who left the room to go to the department next door.

“One more thing Admiral,” said the other officer still in the room.

“What is it?”

“You might want to read this letter as well, this one is from Reich-Minister Joseph Goebbels,” said the officer handing the letter from Goebbels to Admiral Donitz. As Admiral Donitz was reading this letter, he set this one on his desk as well, stroking back his hair and taking a good look at the officer before him.

“This doesn’t make any sense,” said Admiral Donitz. “I have a letter from Kruger and one from Goebbels telling me two completely different things. Tell me Admiral, which one is it?"

Puzzling situation. Well, it mustn't be quite serious as Doenitz didn't got shot yet :D

The doctor paused and looked up at both men baffled, “They built this thing? This isn’t a hoax right?”

Reminds me to Hunt for Red October where the Engineer asked about that strange horizontal tubes...
Eingineer: "This is not a model ? They built that thing ?"
Agent: "It left Murmansk two days ago"

Good story so far. Keep it on!

A great twist going on here, leaving out the intentions of Captain Kruger and puzzling the German High Command headed by Donitz nonetheless! With him wanting to talk to Goebbels this situation is obviously getting out of hand and the true intentions of Cpt. Kruger can't be totally developed yet; especially as he killed that SS officer onboard...I wonder where this will lead?

Good stuff as always volks! :D