• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(31085)

Imperator Caesar Augustus
Jun 25, 2004
profile.myspace.com
Greetings fellow EU3 fanatics!

I'm starting an AAR of the Sultanate of Sulu, the only kingdom represented in EU3 that comes from the Philippines. I'm really surprise why Paradox did not add Sugbu (Magellan was killed there) and the Maynila Sultanate (present-day Manila, where Miguel Lopez de Legaspi built its colonial capital)

But I'll be making an AAR on the illustrious history of the Sultanate of Sulu. Here is a historical background, but later I'll be making some historical deviations along the way.

(from Wikipedia)

Sulu5563.png

The Sultanate of Sulu is a Muslim state that ruled over much of the islands of the Sulu Sea, in the southern Philippines. The sultanate was founded in 1450, but other sources place the date earlier. Muslim historians believe that it had existed centuries earlier in the time of Raja Baguinda Ali.

At its peak, it stretched over the islands that bordered the western peninsula of Mindanao in the east, to the modern Malaysian state of Sabah (formerly North Borneo) in the west and south, and to Palawan in the north.

Currently the issue if who would be the legitimate Sultan of Sulu is disputed by several branches of the Royal Family. Although the line of succession falls on the Kiram branch of Royal family since 1823 up to the death of the last sovereign Sultan in 1936.

History_merdeka.jpg

Establishment

During the 1450s, Shari'ful Hashem Syed Abu Bakr, an Arab born in Johore, arrived in Sulu from Malacca. In 1457, he founded the Sultanate of Sulu; he then renamed himself "Paduka Maulana Mahasari Sharif Sultan Hashem Abu Bakr". "Paduka" is a local term for "Master". "Mahasari" for "His Majesty".

"Allahu akbar! The Sultan has arrived"

Last edited:
Good luck :) I will be reading this. I did consider playing one of these islands when I finished my Cyprus AAR :)

Cheers

Sap.

Unified Philippines under the Sulu Sultanate

sulu.JPG

Time: 1501
Possessions: Philippine Islands excluding Palawan (under Brunei)
Overseas Possessions: Taiwan and Southern Sulawesi
New Discoveries: Australian coastline and New Zealand

The Reign of Sharif ul Hashim II

The Reign of Sharif ul Hashim II

The sultanate has greatly expanded its realm with the island-hopping colonization frenzy initiated by the Sultan himself. Wary of further incursions of foreigners, the Sultanate have discovered the islands south of Sulu. These include the various islands of the Indonesian archipelago as well as those of the South Pacific and as far as New Zealand.

(editor's note: I can't seem to land troops in Australia or Papua New Guinea except at Irian province.)

Our navy have spotted the Portuguese roaming our territorial zones. Bartholomeu Diaz even reached our shore first in 1501, 20 years earlier than Magellan did.

I'm not surprise if Magellan will be astonished that most of the South Pacific is under the power and might of the Sultanate.

For now, I'm wary with the alliance system of Brunei, Atjeh, and Malacca.

I ended a costly war with Bali and its Nepalese allies. The war ended in white peace even though I occupied Bali for 3 months.

By the way, I successfully colonized Taiwan. Now, Ming China is quite irritated with an island near them that is predominantly Muslim.

Here are the screenshots! Enjoy!

overview.JPG
overview1.JPG
Political Situation

mapa.jpg
Sulu Sultanate - circa 1510 AD

Last edited:
Erratum

Sapphire said:
Really? :confused: :cool: I think I will play that after I finishing off Cyprus :D

Cheers

Sap.

Historically, they are Japan's vassal...but in the game they are now Ming's footstool....they even had territories in Vietnam, that's weird...even the small island of Bali has its own 2-province territory in Vietnam....

Are the uncolonisable bits permanent terra incognita? It was in EU2 and its right for the time period at least in New Guinea. Both Britain and Germany had problems exploring much of New Guinea even as late as the end of the 19th century.

Could be TI or PTI areas. That is certainly why you cannot land on most parts of Australia or New Guinea.

European intervention

When does European intervention on East and Southeast Asian affairs...im still in 1501, 20 years before Magellan made it to the Philippines....

i have seen many Portuguese ships roaming around my territorial waters...i just want to be ready before they woud DOW me...

turn the tables

Interesting choice. Good luck and I hope you knock out any european attempt to conquer the philippines. This game certainly gives you the chance to turn the tables on our historical slave masters of yore. ;)

Sharif ul Hashim's Colonization Campaign

Sharif ul Hashim's Colonization Campaign

The reign of Sharif ul Hashim ushered a new height of the Sultanate's growing prestige. Despite bounded by powerful neighbors and alliances of potential enemies, the Sultan offered white peace to its Balinese adversaries. The Sultan continued its colonization campaign in the Indonesian islands. Now the Sultanate is slowly absorbing the rich island of Java as part of the Sultan's realm. On the other hand, the Sultan commanded its greatest navigators and mariners to venture east where the waves meet daring men thirsty for glory.

sulusul.JPG

The island of Sulu is now the center of an expanding Sultanate

The small island of Sulu is becoming the capital of islands ruled by the Sultan who is now envied by its neighbors especially the Sultan's cousins from Brunei who is now become wary of its growing might. Ming China is offended by the Sultan's subjugation of Taiwan.

On the other hand, sightings of the first white men intensified. Portuguese caravels under the command of Bartholomeu Diaz reached Mindanao. The Portuguese were surprised that the Sultan now owned the Moluccas and the source of the most expensive spices that Europeans were curious about.

australia.JPG

The brave men of Sharif Kabungsuan together the mariners of Abu Malik finally reached Australia

Even as far as Australia, Portuguese seemed to follow the Sultan's Grand Navy carrying Sharif Kabungsuan's men who are starting their colony in Bundjalong in the newly discovered continent.

It will be just a matter of time before these white men will strike against us. For now, they are just taking their time. Our neighbors seemed to be plotting to destroy us.

Only time will tell....

Yeah, no europeans

MiguelP said:
Interesting choice. Good luck and I hope you knock out any european attempt to conquer the philippines. This game certainly gives you the chance to turn the tables on our historical slave masters of yore. ;)

It seems im in the watchful eyes of these Portuguese scums! Im now looking to arrange an alliance with my neighbors....

Strategies

I would like to keep my Sultanate alive and be dominant without having to lick other asses...it seems I have sightings of Europeans roaming my seas....

Portugal seem to be interested in my territories....