• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Golden Age

The Golden Age of the Sultanate

sultanate.JPG

The colonization frenzy undertaken by Sultan ul Hashim's regime reached its greater heights. The brave soldiers and sailors of the Sultanate have reached distant places never before seen or visited by men of the Old World.

The have colonized the eastern most island of Guam....

then.... Sulawesi.....

Timor.....

and finally....Java.....

The Sultan himself visited the famour Borobodur....wherein he proclaimed his ascendancy to the stature of God as the human incarnate.

He vowed to spread Islam to far regions of his realm.

Because of his religious zeal, the King of Bali seemed threatened as his small kingdom is cut off by growing threat of Sulu's navy in the Indonesian archipelago. And so a small war begun.

With the aid of its far away ally of Nepal....Nepalese ships were destroyed before even reaching the islands and some were destroyed by typhoons in the high seas. Even the crown prince was captured and his head was delivered as gift to the Nepalese king.

Meanwhile in Bali, the troops of Sharif Kabungsuan entered the city unopposed wherein he was surprised the wealth of the island. So he decided not to level the city because he sees it as an important revenue source.

The Sultanate received a small piece of land in Indochina which previously held by the king of Bali.

Years later, the Sultan accepted a white peace but he received tremendous war subsidies wherein he used it for his colonization campaign in the newly discovered continent of Australia.

After many years of colonization and missionary campaigns.....

The aborigines and Maoris have followed the one true faith of Allah....Australia and New Zealand is now Muslim....the islands of Vanuatu and Solomon Islands were added to the Sultan's realm.

BAD NEWS!!!

Intensified sightings of Portuguese scums were reported throughout the the Sultanate....from as far as the Andamans and Guam and from Taiwan to Australia.....

The Sultan now commanded to built the largest fleets the world has ever seen....even the Ming ambassador was marvelled by the sight.....the Sultan's High Seas Fleet were made in the island of Taiwan courtesy of Chinese laborers, Italian and Spanish advisers, as well as Ottoman gunnery experts....25 galleys were built with the latest technology as well as 10 supply galleys, and 10 transport ships.....

Alimudin Karna was to command the fleet....

Karna was trained in the Ottoman's royal naval academy while the ground forces were headed by Rajah Baguinda, a man known throughout the Sultanate as the man with the golden teeth....

This man was the Ottoman sultan's slave, as a custom, his teeth was pulled out so that he can't tell a lie against his master....later he gained his freedom because of his exemplary courage against the Georgians and the Macedonians...

When the Sultan had his pilgrimage to Mecca, he met the Sultan himself.....and the two became close associates as both wanted to spread Islam.....

As a token of his appreciation, the Sultan gave gold tablets to the Ottoman sultan....in return, the Ottoman Sultan gave ul Hashim his trusted slave Baguinda with the latest firearms and cannons....

He became Rajah and now sports golden teeth and now commands a small force of trained Jannisaries for the Sultan of Sulu.

BAD NEWS....

Unfortunately, the old Sultan died as he is going back home.

During that time, the scums of Khmer and Ayuthaya decided to attack the small garrison in Indochina. However, Rajah Baguinda was in good time to intervene together the most formidable army ever assembled by the Sultanate....they repulsed the invading army....and gained favorable peace in the end.....Ayuthaya was cut into half and Khmer was reduced to a single province.....

With the Sultan's death, the Sultanate is now temporarily ruled by a council of elders, while the Sultan's son is being schooled at the Ottoman's janissary school.

Only time will tell what's in store for the Sulu Sultanate....

I was just catching up, after this went through a lull, and surprise! I get an update! :D

Great work in the south Pacific! A Muslim Australia... It sounds weird, but maybe it wasn't very far from possible in real life!

Watch out for those Portuguese. Ominous.

Rensslaer

Have you actually had any dealings with the Portugese and do you know anything about them?

Portuguese scums

so far i havent seen any Portuguese holdings in Asia or any European stronghold in the region....my ships have reached eastern India and various parts of the Indian Ocean in the west. On the East, I have reached the South Pacific and reached some islands but no Europeans so far.....

Only Portuguese caravels and other curious onlookers to might and power of my Sultanate. The only ominous sign is that Ming just destroyed Korea and vassalized Annam and Dai Viet...Im just afraid Ming might gang up on me with her allies...she seemed to be irritated when I just added Taiwan to my realm...

The only problem I have so far is that my Indochinese holdings keep on revolting against my rule...that is why I left most of my troops there to quell native uprisings. The only region that is Buddhist so far, so I tried to convert them to the one true faith.

Well its 1527 right now...im focusing all my efforts to strengthen my military situation....

England shipped convicts to Australia once America wasn't available anymore. If there's no Australia I guess King George will just have to win or build prisons.

PrawnStar said:
England shipped convicts to Australia once America wasn't available anymore. If there's no Australia I guess King George will just have to win or build prisons.

throw the prisoners in the frigid steppes of siberia

I would not worry too much about the Portuguese. They are a long way from home, and likely too concerned with the Americas.

Well that update was short and to the point! More please

The Great Maori Revolt

The Great Maori Revolt

Despite the successful campaign against the Khmer-Ayuthaya alliance in Indochina. The Sultan's colonization and missionary campaigns against the Maoris proved to be an utter failure in terms of consolidation. Major parts of the North and South island were under control but the final Maori stronghold in present-day Wellington proved to be difficult.

catamaran.JPG
The Maoris attacked the Sulu stronghold in the North Island

The great Maori leader named as "The Great One", as Rajah Baguinda called him, assembled a great armada of catamaran to attack the largest settlement north of the Maori stronghold. Many Filipinos were killed and bludgeoned to death, no mercy to the foreigners, as they almost wiped out the whole village.

Fortunately, the war in Indochina was over and so the elite janissary troops of Rajah Baguinda was dispatch along with the Sultan's High Seas Fleet from as far away as Taiwan was called to reinforce the colonists.

Despite the superhuman ferocity and defiance of the Maoris, they were in return hunted down like wild dingos courtesy of cannons and firearms brought by Baguinda's men.

maori.jpg

"The Great One"

The Great One was finally captured, he was brought all the way to Sulu to meet the Sultan. They made peace provided that the Maoris will be converted to the one true faith and they will look upon the Sultan as their leader.

However, despite the peace process going between the two camps. Atrocities were still committed by both sides. Only time will tell when the conflict will end.

The Great Naval Journey to the Mystery Island!

Meanwhile, in the lonely outpost of the Andamans, the Home Guards learned from Indian sailors that there is this mystery island where some unknown animals that mystified explorers from distant places.

madagascar02.jpg
These furry critters are said to be valuable!​

What island could this be?

Good going in New Zealand - and clearly mystery islands belong to the Sultan so go get 'em!

I'm guessing but I think you must have grabbed just about every island south of Japan - nice Empire and potentially very rich!

The Reign of Muiz ul Din II

The Reign of Muiz ul Din II

The Crown Prince has been for quite a while. He seems to be not interested of ruling his growing kingdom. He seems quite to be interested of playing soldier in the Ottoman sultan's jannisary school in Istanbul.

After all the Sultanate seems to be in good shape despite governed by elders who seemed to be more focus of plotting against each other. Despite near disasters, the Sultan of "Australia" even tried to claim the throne for himself. Fortunately, he died along the way as his ship was destroyed by the loyalists. The Sultan of Whangarei, the victor of the battle against the Maoris, was also slain.

Despite the political intrigues back home, the Crown prince seemed to be fit to be the new Sultan.

madagascar1.jpg

Exploration of the coastline of West Africa

When he heard about the successful expedition of Muhammad al Halim Agung to the newly discovered island of Madagascar. He was eager to return home and gain his rightful place as the ruler of his kingdom.

madagascar.JPG

The Discovery of the "Mystery Island"

He gained interest in achieving what the infidels ("Europeans") did in Africa, wherein they carved up territories of their own. His illusions of grandeur were replaced by ambitions of political and military might as he was trained in the Ottoman's school.

To lead Darul Islam against the "wicked" and "oppressive" Christians of Europe and become the Caliph of all caliphs!!

middleeast.jpg

The exploration of the Red Sea

While on his pilgrimage to Mecca, the Crown Prince and his retainers were picked up by the Grand Navy (on the way home after its exploration of the Red Sea and the African coast).

muiz.JPG

Long Live the New Sultan!

He was still a young 25 year old man. But now a Sultan with great ambition as well as responsibility to preserve his father's memory.

With his ascencion to the throne, he reorganized the navy. He built one of the largest fleet to rival that of Ming and his European counterparts.

He made it a point that every distant parts of his realm would be self-sufficient economically and militarily. He was the first Sultan to visit every provinces of his realm. He even joined the commissioned royal expedition to West Africa where he created a stir among the Europeans he encountered as he showed his state-of-the-art caravels built by Turkish and Italian experts in his various shipyards in Taiwan, Indonesia, and Indochina. The ships were manned by Indian and Chinese sailors. They were led by capable Filipino captains.

His army has grown tremendously as he is preparing to wage war against Ayuthaya and Khmer.

The Third Sulu-Ayuthayan-Khmer War

The Thais and their Khmer counterparts attacked the Sulu garrisons in Indochina simultaneously and without warning. They know that the Sultan is a very young man and was still in the process of consolidating.

But they never know the potentials of this young Sultan. Though somewhat brash and arrogant, he even led a cavalry charge against the hapless Khmers, he was proven to be a capable leader. He lead his army successfully against the two forces.

Despite his successes, he wasn't able to capitalize his gains as the war escalated and then the Shan entered the fray and further complicated the situation. The power artillery of the Sulu army were not deployed because of the successful destruction of the armory near the Shan border by mercenary Shan warriors.

indochinawar.JPG

Sulu's territorial gains

The Sultan decided to call for peace, and consolidated its gains against the Shans and Thais. The Khmer kingdom was annexed.

A New Journey, A New Hope?

goodhope.JPG

The Cape of Good Hope

The Grand Navy reached the Cape of Good Hope, the mariners were afraid that they will never return home. Much to their surprise, they encountered strange men who were also afraid that they might never survive their return trip home.

They seemed to be dressed in strange clothes, they have hairs that have colors of the sun. They were white as the elephant's tusks, they were tall like the giraffes. They spoke in strange language.

galley.JPG

The Sultan's Grand Navy vs. the Venetian galleys, who will win?

Meanwhile, the Grand Navy almost got into an undeclared war against the Venetians in West Africa. Fortunately cooler heads prevailed for now.

Last edited:
Intresting AAR so far , very fast paced and I'm quite surprised at the country you've chose ! Also looks like Ming is as big of a monster in your game too .

My only regret, being from those islands, is that you're playing a Muslim version of the home country ! I hope the Spanish come along and convert you all ! :eek:

Going well by the look of things but there seems to be some unfinished business in Sulawesi, Borneo and Sumatra ...

Are you hoping for a war against Europeans or does an attempt to unify Islam look more interesting?