• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The fact that Knox' hand is covered in blood suggests that the blood has not congealed yet. That seems to rule out blood from Huard's nighttime excursion.

It's also mentioned that the room door was unlocked - Temple could've forgotten to lock it upon his hasty retreat, but it's also possible that a member of the staff came in to make the room, contravening Temple's instructions. In that case, it could be that Huard had an early breakfast...

Regardless of what has happened, if it's not Huard under the bed (as I suspect it isn't), then this is a very bad development indeed.

I think it is a servant, like Stuyvesant... I mean, like Stuyvesant thinks! :D or Huard is just a very messy eater...

coz1: ...And when he withdrew his beefy arm from under the bed, it was covered in blood…

now that was an : eek : moment ! ! :rolleyes:

excellent updates ! !
:cool:

He be far from dead.
Probably just eating very fresh beacon.
Some people rather like to have their meat as raw as possible. :D

Silly Secretary, leave that emo alone!

Fb-fb:

oh no...not Huard :eek:

Hopefully it is a deer that he caught...or something. Since Mr. Knox felt with his hands, we aren't 100% sure it was human. Though if it was an animal, he would have felt fur... Hmm...who did Huard kill?
Indeed, he said, "This man." ;)

Maybe it's Huard sleeping in a corpse-like state?
Not a bad guess at all. He has to sleep somewhere. ;)

My thoughts exactly!!! AhahaHAHAhAhHAHAha!!!

Well, another fine chapter, sir! :)
Thank you, sir. :) But what if it isn't him? :eek:

Cliffhanger...

:D

Who...or what...is under the bed?

TheExecuter
You'll have to wait a few scenes to find out too. :p

The fact that Knox' hand is covered in blood suggests that the blood has not congealed yet. That seems to rule out blood from Huard's nighttime excursion.

It's also mentioned that the room door was unlocked - Temple could've forgotten to lock it upon his hasty retreat, but it's also possible that a member of the staff came in to make the room, contravening Temple's instructions. In that case, it could be that Huard had an early breakfast...

Regardless of what has happened, if it's not Huard under the bed (as I suspect it isn't), then this is a very bad development indeed.
Let's not be so fast to assume the blood would have congealed on Huard. He feasted well and not so long ago. But that doesn't mean those remains couldn't be under there anyway. Would they be as bloody though? You'd have to assume anything he feasted on would be completely drained, right?

I think it is a servant, like Stuyvesant... I mean, like Stuyvesant thinks! :D or Huard is just a very messy eater...
Or maybe it is just Huard, sleeping as Deamon suggests. It'll have to wait a few scenes until I get there and we find out. :D

coz1: ...And when he withdrew his beefy arm from under the bed, it was covered in blood…

now that was an : eek : moment ! ! :rolleyes:

excellent updates ! !
:cool:
Had to find something big to end on and we weren't ready to see what's under there. But a clue is always nice, and a horrific one seemed apt. :D

He be far from dead.
Probably just eating very fresh beacon.
Some people rather like to have their meat as raw as possible. :D

Silly Secretary, leave that emo alone!
[showing my age] This emo...I admit I do not know of which you speak. My little sister tried to explain it but I think she has it wrong. I've always assumed a more dark haired, goth-like or goth-lite type individual. There's a certain attempt to be "hip" but not as much as a normal "hipster" which I am familiar with. Long way around saying, I wouldn't consider Huard to be emo. Temple maybe. [/showing my age]

Or did you mean emu? And if so, where would he find one in NYC? ;)

To all - Had family affairs to deal with over the weekend, so not much written I am afraid. Working on something as we speak, however, so hopefully by mid week we'll see another update. It ain't a regular schedule, but it's better than nothing. :rolleyes: Thanks for the comments, folks. :)

Last edited:
[showing my age] This emo...I admit I do not know of which you speak. My little sister tried to explain it but I think she has it wrong. I've always assumed a more dark haired, goth-like or goth-lite type individual. There's a certain attempt to be "hip" but not as much as a normal "hipster" which I am familiar with. Long way around saying, I wouldn't consider Huard to be emo. Temple maybe. [/showing my age]

Before I launch into my unrelated-to-the-story ramble, I'll say this: a lovely gory end to an odd conversation. Something in me loves seeing a Department of War in a story (something about the Department of Defense seems Orwellian and dishonest), something in me loves Franklins, and something in me loves Knoxes. Toss in a juicy corpse for the corpulant civil servant to grope, and I'm full of glee.

As for emo, think punk, but wussy. Eyeliner, yes. Black dye, no. Scream about your emotions. If your eyeliner is running, it's emo. If your eyeliner is not running, it's scene. My age may be similar to your own. We have to stick with it, man!

And until I connected 'Temple' in your reply with 'Temple' in the story, I was beating my brains up trying to figure out what style of music-fashion 'Temple' constituted.

I've wanted to write a story about Henry Knox for quite a while now. Just love the man. When I started thinking about this story, Temple Franklin was the next best thing to Ben, especially having spent so much time with his grandfather during the Revolution (and unlike the middle William.) That I get a chance to thrust both into a vampire story gives me much glee as well, phargle. :)

As to emo - yes, that's just what I thought - except for punk. That's always been too nostalgic in my lifetime (grew up as it happened, but I was just a hair too young and thus it was cool. ;)) So it's not just a style thing...there's a whole emotional level involved? Kids these days. If age gives a man anything, it is perspective. Looking back on all the the crap I wore in high school now? And to think...I probably had "a mood" involved then myself. :rolleyes:

I try to stay "hip" but at some point, classic becomes cool and then the new stuff just seems...played? ;)

EDIT - That said, I still think Temple could be emo. :D

Last edited:
Looking back on all the the crap I wore in high school

Kodachrooooome! :D Though I think the quote from that song is, 'When I look back on all the crap I learned in high school...' The words were just to close to ignore.

A few scenes from now? Damn you, man - I wanna know what's under the bed now. :D

A few scenes from now? Damn you, man - I wanna know what's under the bed now. :D

No fair! You can just pick up the phone and bend coz's ear; the rest of us will have to wait it out... :p

Anyway, upon re-reading a few key lines, I submit this line
Instead of his eyes, it would be his ears that finally located Abraham Huard.
as evidence. Unless coz1 is lying outright, it seems it is Huard under the bed. And while he drained the deer of its blood, that doesn't mean he was a neat eater: could be the blood went everywhere.

Oh, and if coz1 did lie outright: Tsk. Tsk. <Wags finger, shakes head disapprovingly>

Kodachrooooome! :D Though I think the quote from that song is, 'When I look back on all the crap I learned in high school...' The words were just to close to ignore.

I was thinking of that exact song as I wrote those words. :D Seemed fitting. And sorry about that, but that's how it's got to be. :p

No fair! You can just pick up the phone and bend coz's ear; the rest of us will have to wait it out... :p

Anyway, upon re-reading a few key lines, I submit this lineas evidence. Unless coz1 is lying outright, it seems it is Huard under the bed. And while he drained the deer of its blood, that doesn't mean he was a neat eater: could be the blood went everywhere.

Oh, and if coz1 did lie outright: Tsk. Tsk. <Wags finger, shakes head disapprovingly>
I would never outright lie. Cross my heart. No really...I wouldn't. ;)

I won't say you are off the track but I can't say you are hot on it either. Wait a couple of posts and you'll find out. Can't say anything now, but let's just say I do have it figured out without resorting to a lie. :D

To all - still working on the next bit and hope to have it up tonight at some point. Need to pass over it a few more times and make sure I have all the T's crossed. Of course, knowing my typo history, I still won't catch them all. :rolleyes: Back hopefully soon. :)

LongestNightbanner.png

New York City, 1938

A loud knock sounded on the outside door and Sam moved from his chair quickly to unlock it. He’d been in furious thought and knew exactly what he needed to do. His mistake was calling Jasper. But he had to know he was not crazy. He’d seen the man in that house…so had Jasper. Even if he was gone, the room should have suggested something to the cops…what about those chains? Sam turned the latch and opened the door, letting it swing wide as he moved to sit in a chair on the opposite wall.

Jasper stood on the outside of the door for a moment, some shock on his face at his greeting. He stepped foot into the office and held up his hands after straightening his crooked tie, “Well, I’m here. What’s so damned important?”

Sam could only look at Jasper at first before he formed the words to say it again…it still didn’t make sense…“The guy we saw last night…cops went down there and didn’t find a thing…not an empty pack of smokes or a mouse fart. The place is empty.”

“It didn’t looked lived in…but surely they saw the upstairs,” Jasper offered as instant argument.

“Yeah…that’s what I told ‘em. Take a look at the room upstairs. But nothing…they got nothing.”

“I’m afraid I don’t understand, Finch. You are telling me that there is no sign of that…thing?” Jasper backed up and sat on the corner of Minnie’s desk as he tried to fathom how.

“Not a stitch. Nothing.” Sam stood and walked into his office, making a direct line towards his nearly empty bottle of scotch. As Jasper followed him, Sam picked up the bottle and poured what was left into his glass. It barely wet the bottom.

“Mind if I have one of those?” Jasper casually asked behind him as he sat in the guest chair and thought to himself. Sam turned to give him a crooked eye at first but then let it go. He shifted to his filing cabinet and tried to open the top drawer. It stuck at first causing him to beat the beast on its already dented side. The drawer popped open and inside was a fresh bottle.

As Sam opened his find, he moved to the desk and sat in the chair looking at Jasper, “What are you thinking?”

Jasper held up a finger at first, but then looked at Sam with wide eyes, “What if the Germans showed up after us? Maybe they cleaned the place.” He sat back thinking Sam might be impressed with his theory.

“There’d have to be some sign…something…anything that would show people had been there. They aren’t gonna take those bolts out of the floor, are they?” Sam poured himself and Jasper a drink and took his down quickly as he reached for his smokes.

“They are very thorough, I understand,” Jasper tossed away the answer as he reached for his glass.

“Bullshit. They aren’t gonna think about that stuff…not these thugs. No…someone else cleaned that place out.” Sam lit a cigarette and blew the smoke out with a certainty in his mind. There was something…someone…out there working behind the scenes…in the dark and out of his sight. He didn’t know their score, but he knew his own - find the professor. And somehow this was connected. Whoever cleaned that place out probably knew something about West.

“Well then what?” Jasper asked with exasperation likely caused by his own idea’s shortcomings.

“I don’t know,” Sam answered as he tapped the ash from his smoke, “But I got a good idea how to find out.”

The glint in Sam’s eye was unmistakable and Jasper White slowly sipped on his drink with a sharp eye before asking the inevitable question, “What might that be, Finch?”

“Let’s just say I have some good connections. There is one man in this city that could give me her damn pulse if I asked him. If we got some kind of professional crew working out there, he’d know about it.”

Jasper let the glass sit at his lips as he considered Sam’s suggestion. “You don’t mean…not Lansky?!”

“Even better…and easier to get to. Man owes me a favor,” Sam answered with a wink as he stamped out his cigarette in the ashtray and stood. He took down the last of his drink and caused an audible thud when he slammed the glass down on the desk. Wasting no time, he grabbed his coat and hat and left the office causing Jasper to finish his drink in a hurry. The reporter made a point to drain the glass.

emptyglass.jpg

New York City, 1938

“You will find him, yes?” the voice asked and Otto had little choice but to answer.

“Yes.”

He did not flinch or show any signs of ill will towards the person…thing…in front of him. He was entirely captivated by the voice itself - in his mind - telling him all he ever needed to know or think. It was as if…no, it was exactly that nothing had ever existed before he heard that voice and his entire soul depended on hearing the very next thing it said. His ears were open and ready and his mind a sandbox for the voice to rake as it wished.

“Do you recall the men you work for?”

“Yes,” he answered again in a monotone voice, the memory of his work and relationships returning suddenly. Just enough to see their faces…remember their names…what they meant to him and how useful they were. The rest of his mind remained a blank slate.

“Will you go to them?”

“Yes.”

“And you will find him?”

“Yes.”

Otto was already trying to move but the soothing purr from the voice calmed him, “Remember what I have told you.”

The thoughts moved back through his mind in ordered fashion…every step the voice had offered. Otto knew exactly what he should do, when and where. The voice had given him all the instructions he required. He nodded his head and answered “yes” one last time before the voice let him go.

“Away!”

The voice shouted and caused him to stand. And only then did a curiously personal thought enter his brain…he felt stronger than ever. Something inside caused him to act on his own and he lifted a wooden chair and smashed it against the ground. Looking up, the only expression he saw was pride. The voice did not speak again.

He would do what he was told.

Last edited:
Those two guys also are workaholics but also normal alcoholics.
It seems that they drink something in every chapter. :p

Must have been a good cleaner!

And the chair must have been very ugly.
One simply starts not breaking chairs because one could do it...

So Sam is going to work with Jasper for now. Seems like a odd couple, but they might both have some advantages from working together. Or did Sam put something in the glass to stop Jasper from following him…
A stronger and more powerful German henchman, I think that is bad news for Sam, but it shall be interesting to see what happens next.

HULK SMASH... :rofl:
Actually, Otto here reminds me a bit of a certain Jasen Exeter...

Anyway, I really liked the description of the influence the (supposed) vampire has over Otto. Glamour (in its original meaning) seems an apt description.

So far, the relationship between Jasper and Sam seems rather onesided. Jasper seems mostly there for Sam to bounce ideas off, or to bring up hypotheses that Sam can shoot down. I wonder if there will be more reciprocity in the future (and no, I'm not counting the fact that Jasper is drinking Sam's Scotch).

And yes, Enewald's right, Sam seems pretty much an alcoholic, with the other 1938 characters not very far behind. :) Could be a rude surprise if a vampire ever tried to bite him - Sebastion might not be able to remain on his feet after that. ;)

Fb-fb:

Those two guys also are workaholics but also normal alcoholics.
It seems that they drink something in every chapter. :p

Must have been a good cleaner!

And the chair must have been very ugly.
One simply starts not breaking chairs because one could do it...
All good observations, Enewald. I hope I've made it clear that Sam has a bit of a problem with the drink. While I enjoy using the tried and true trappings of the noir novel in terms of habits, I have purposely caused Sam to drink heavily as part of his character. In part it may play into his problematic thinking process. ;)

As for Otto, I'll admit he is acting unreasonably, but that too is somewhat as designed. I actually found it difficult writing from the perspective of one that doesn't consider free will. More on that below.

So Sam is going to work with Jasper for now. Seems like a odd couple, but they might both have some advantages from working together. Or did Sam put something in the glass to stop Jasper from following him…
A stronger and more powerful German henchman, I think that is bad news for Sam, but it shall be interesting to see what happens next.
Sam didn't drug him, but that's not a bad idea. I may use it later. ;) I like the partnership. Hopefully I am building two different men, both after the same thing but going at it in different ways. Again, more on that below.

Otto will definitely be trouble for Sam. That, I can assure you. :D

HULK SMASH... :rofl: Well, what can I say, another smashing chapter sir! :)
And that is why. :D Terrible pun, by the way. :p A stinker.

Otto gets to be the ultimate heavy...if I want. ;)

Actually, Otto here reminds me a bit of a certain Jasen Exeter...

Anyway, I really liked the description of the influence the (supposed) vampire has over Otto. Glamour (in its original meaning) seems an apt description.

So far, the relationship between Jasper and Sam seems rather onesided. Jasper seems mostly there for Sam to bounce ideas off, or to bring up hypotheses that Sam can shoot down. I wonder if there will be more reciprocity in the future (and no, I'm not counting the fact that Jasper is drinking Sam's Scotch).

And yes, Enewald's right, Sam seems pretty much an alcoholic, with the other 1938 characters not very far behind. :) Could be a rude surprise if a vampire ever tried to bite him - Sebastion might not be able to remain on his feet after that. ;)
Nice catch on Exeter, Stuyvesant. I will readily admit that CatKnight's take on that character has colored my thoughts on how to write this one. I hope to have him a more reasoning type of person eventually, but he too will learn his way there. At first, I need to leave him somewhat brainless and ordered.

I'm pleased the hypnotism trance works. I do have an idea that vampires are able to control whom they choose, perhaps included with some blood mixing. I could describe it in the text, but I like leaving it open for interpretation. Suffice to say Otto is definitely in someone's power which I've understood can be called "glamouring" in certain vampire books. Interesting that you choose the word as well (unless you've read them. ;))

As for the drink, as I said above, Sam is definitely an alcoholic. I make no bones about it. Having tread that ground with Sonny, it is familiar ground. ;) Not sure if a vamp will get that taste if they drink it, but if liquor does effect a vampire (which surely it must, right?) then yes, it would be a rude awakening. :D

You make a very good point regarding Jasper and Sam. While I do have more for Jasper to do in the future, thus far he has been more of a "foil" rather than an active participant. I must admit that in some of my planning for this episode, I actually forgot about Jasper for a small section at the start. :eek:o I've had to weave him back in, much to my shame and embarrassment. With all that said, he plays an important role simply being Sam's foil and causing the hero to react. I'll work on fleshing him out more.

Poor Otto...next we'll see if he can push the right button when the bell rings...I hear the pellets are quite nice...

TheExecuter
Indeed...he is now controlled and under someone's power. I can't say who for the moment, but that just gives everyone a chance to guess. :D

To all - I was a little surprised there wasn't a little something mentioned in regards to the rather large name drop I provided. Nothing? :D

Working on the next bit and it involves the very same person Sam is on his way to see. I've had a devil of a time deciding on exactly who that is, but hopefully it'll work. The occupation was a given, but the actual person I've left open to do some research. It'll take a day or so to work it out so look towards the weekend for another update (it would take a miracle to get it up by Friday.)

Thanks for the comments. :)

Fb-fb:
To all - I was a little surprised there wasn't a little something mentioned in regards to the rather large name drop I provided. Nothing? :D

Meyer Lansky? I saw the name, but ignored it since he's not playing a part in this - I thought it was mere period flavor.

Nice catch on Exeter, Stuyvesant. I will readily admit that CatKnight's take on that character has colored my thoughts on how to write this one.

Wow. I AM honored. :)

Yes, your hypnotism trance works well. It fits in nicely with plenty of vampire stories and games I've read/played. You're doing an outstanding job with this! Of course, that comes as no surprise.