• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Agreed, that sounded like something that had happened... something is going on here, and it don't look good for Abe, or for that matter Temple. Great to have you back again Coz! :)

coz1: ...The man did not shake it nor look at Abraham. He simply nodded his head and stared straight forward.

that was the tip off that something bad was to come ! ! :eek:

coz1:
...He… …woke up.

more :eek:

coz1:
...“Is it the dream again?” She quietly asked. .. That did Abraham Huard little good as it was the black night that frightened him so much.

and, rightly so ! ! :rolleyes:

most excellent update ! !
:cool:

I guess I need to reread the whole thing, because that last update has me even more confused than I already was :eek:

Good to see a fresh update though :D

That was either a scary nightmare, or an even scarier flashback… And I am afraid it was a flashback. Pore man that really must have been a bad experience…
Having said that excellent writing coz, and it is great to see an update. I hope we won’t have to wait too long for the next update :)

Fb-fb time:

Wow! Simply wow! Without a doubt that was fine work with Abraham, his dash through the woods to get away from his followers, the vampires. And then only to wake up to a dream. Hmm, I'm suspect to this dream.

Amazing!
Thanks. I've been wanting to backtrack for a while and set up this bit that I hinted at in the earlier section. I believe we'll revisit it again. As it's a dream, one cannot take it all as fact. You are right to be suspect.

Premonition be it?
Or too much alcohol?
Heh. Perhaps some premonition...or rememberence. ;)

I must admit, sometimes I have scary dreams like forgetting my locker combination, but I couldn't even imagine have as bad of dreams as Abe :eek:
Agreed that there are levels of differences in nightmares. My advice - don't do too much vampire research, especially the up close and personal kind. :eek:

I wouldn't mind having that dream. If I were the vampire, that is. Got me wondering though, do vampires dream?
You know, that is a great question. Bodily functions like the liver, intestines, etc. have shut down on a vampire, I would think. But they do still have certain blood functions going on that are feeding the brain. They are intelligent. So, I'd think the answer to that is yes. I cannot imagine what one would look like, though. Perhaps I'll have to work on that and come up with something.

Uhrm...that was no dream...more a flashback...

:eek:

TheExecuter
Yup. Recall I mentioned earlier that Huard had seen one. It's time we started to learn more about that as this second episode begins.

Agreed, that sounded like something that had happened... something is going on here, and it don't look good for Abe, or for that matter Temple. Great to have you back again Coz! :)
Ahh, Temple. Trust that I have not forgotten him. It'll take a few posts to catch back up but it's coming.

coz1: ...The man did not shake it nor look at Abraham. He simply nodded his head and stared straight forward.

that was the tip off that something bad was to come ! ! :eek:

coz1:
...He… …woke up.

more :eek:

coz1:
...“Is it the dream again?” She quietly asked. .. That did Abraham Huard little good as it was the black night that frightened him so much.

and, rightly so ! ! :rolleyes:

most excellent update ! !
It is so good to see you back and posting again, GW. I've missed your color. :D Indeed, Huard's travels and reading at this time have already begun to frighten him. And notice the date stamp at the top of the post...this was two years before he ever went looking for Temple, much less traveled to America (and ran into some further troubles. ;))

I guess I need to reread the whole thing, because that last update has me even more confused than I already was :eek:

Good to see a fresh update though :D
Thank you, sir. If you are confused then perhaps another read thru might help. However, I'm not one to make it too easy. I hate things being spelled out and would rather leave the reader guessing. It also allows me to backtrack if I need to and alter certain subplots should the need arive. I do hope it makes sense, though.

That was either a scary nightmare, or an even scarier flashback… And I am afraid it was a flashback. Pore man that really must have been a bad experience…
Having said that excellent writing coz, and it is great to see an update. I hope we won’t have to wait too long for the next update :)
The next update should be tonight (or tomorrow.) I am planning a double scene, one of which is finished but the other proving some trouble. I ended up with Laurel and Hardy on the first draft which is not quite the direction I want to go at this point. :rolleyes: I'm shooting for tonight though, so keep your eyes open for it.

It's great to see so many jump back into the story after a long break. I will try not to take too long between updates at least as long as we are working on episode II. There may be a break after that, however, as I work out the next episode. We'll see. Thanks, as always, for reading and commenting! :)

LongestNightbanner.png

New York City, 1938

Sam Finch dropped his hand to rest on the desk and strummed his fingers in rhythm with a song stuck in his head. The sound of ringing on the other end of the phone finally ended and the voice on the other end answered with a low, quiet “Hello.”

“Hello?” Sam responded, “Miss Else Sullivan, please.”

The low voice answered with a deep sigh, as if exasperated and then silence followed for a few seconds. Finally, Sam was forced to ask “Hello?” once again.

“Yes,” the voice followed in a quick response, “One moment.”

For nearly a minute, Sam could hear a muffled sound, as if the receiver were being held against the chest and moved around. Voices could be heard, but nothing clearly. Finally, the familiar and exotic voice of Miss Sullivan came on the line and she spoke, “Yes? This is Miss Sullivan.”

“Yeah…this is Finch.” Sam answered allowing his annoyance to show.

“Mr. Finch…it is good to hear from you. Have you found him yet?” Her tone was of expectation rather than hope, but the sound was still music to Sam’s ear.

“Not as yet, Miss Sullivan. But I’ve had an interesting day or two.”

“Yes?” she responded with little care other than his task.

“Yeah…I’d like to ask you about that…seems some German gentlemen are interested in this too. What do you know about that?”

“German?” she asked, seeming full of genuine surprise.

“Yes ma’am. Germans. Did a pretty number on your local detective here and what we did find, they seemed to want too. Took a notebook we found.”

“This is all very interesting, Mr. Finch. What of Professor West?” She did not seem very interested in the Germans and was offering no information of what she knew. Sam had to force it.

“Look, Miss Sullivan…I’ll be square with you, but you gotta be square with me too. If you got any idea why some fella named Muller wants this guy, you’d better start telling me right now.”

She did not speak, but he could hear the sound of her breathing on the other end. She had a gentle breath, slow and evenly spaced…almost like a lullaby. He could get used to falling asleep to it, anyway. She finally spoke, ruining the moment but telling Sam what he needed to hear.

“I’m afraid I am unaware of any such gentlemen, Mr. Finch. But if they too are after Professor West, then this is indeed more serious. Perhaps I should come down to your office tomorrow to discuss it.”

He thought on it for a few seconds before finally nodding and answering yes. She should come down and explain herself…and hopefully wear something snug to accentuate that exquisite body of hers.

“Let’s say five o’clock?” she asked.

“Sure…and then after, maybe take in some dinner,” he replied trying his best to be witty.

“Goodbye, Mr. Finch,” she answered crisply, ignoring his pass. The other end of the phone went silent and she was gone.

Sam slowly placed the ear piece back onto the phone and set it down with ease. He stood and looked out into the night as he pondered another drink before sleep or just bed. He knew he’d find some delicious dreams if he went on home, but that taste was still in his mouth…just one more drink. Then home for a hot shower and finally, some solid sleep. He knew he’d enjoy it already.

New York City, 1938

Otto never did like this line of work. Muller was no pleasure to work with, what with his high and mighty ways – always looking down on everyone around him. No one ever got credit for the actual work done. It was always Muller talking up his success with the higher ups in Vienna. But if he didn’t do his job, he could be sure that Vienna would know exactly who to come to. Muller would be sure to tell them.

He waited for the detective to leave and stood rubbing his hands together in the cold and empty street. Those two goons, Gerhard and the big one, would follow Finch leaving him to find whatever he could. He’d heard the screams earlier while he waited under the window. And now he was not terribly excited about going in the house.

But he had to.

Otto bundled his coat and walked across the street as he surveyed the outside of the house. It was dilapidated…surely no one lived there. He noticed that the detective and his friend had left the front door open as they left, so getting in would be little problem. As he took the front steps, he produced his gun from a shoulder holster and pointed it ahead of him. If anyone was home, they would not be very happy to see him.

He used the weapon to push the door all the way open and took a step into the dark house. The floor boards underfoot creaked with each step he took and he stopped and pointed his gun up the stairs. A slow turn of the head to survey the front room beside him told him much the same. Nothing was there. But those two men had come for something. Did they take it with them? He needed to search upstairs and make sure. Taking one step at a time, he slowly moved up to the stairs and reached the top. Looking up and down the hallway, he still did not see any signs of life.

The room in front of him was closed. He shifted to feel at the door knob and turned it slowly. As the door opened, he saw the room was completely dark. He peered in close and as his eyes adjusted, he finally began to see it…a ghostly white face slowly moving closer. He was not sure if his eyes were playing tricks on him and blinked. When he opened his eyes, the face was in front of him, a smile on the lips. The mouth opened and it was then that Otto regained his senses. He was not alone.

Face2.jpg

That was the last thought he had as the teeth sunk deep into his neck, deep crimson blood dripping slowly from the wound. The look of shock and horror that was Otto’s last thought never left his face. And from behind, a voice spoke out…

“Yessss…gooood…”

Last edited:
Nazi wampire! Avesöme! :D

Probably not, though. I expect Otto to remain very much dead. Nazi vampires would steer the story a little too much into pulp fiction territory, methinks.

Sam continues to meddle with forces he doesn't understand (should that be 'meddle' or 'blunder through'?). Ms. Sullivan's total composure and that lulling breathing of hers make me wonder if there is perhaps a lot more to hear than meets Sam's eye. Regardless: if she's merely a extremely self-controlled human, she is miles out of Sam's league. And if she is more than meets the eye (i.e. a more literal vamp), then the distance she's out of Sam's league could be measured in lightyears. :)

Interesting earlier update with Huard in London (I have to say, that moody picture of a nocturnal forest doesn't quite fit with my image of the crowded, hustling metropolis that is London - but it fits the mood). What happened to Huard once that vampire closed in on him? Was he bitten, or did something or someone save him from that fate? And if he was bitten, then how did he live through that unscathed (physically at least)?

A last observation is that Huard was in the pub to meet someone. And he was meeting someone very late in the evening. I suspect it is related to the vampires, so even this early, two years before his fateful meeting in New York, Huard's investigations into vampiredom were not entirely new. Makes me wonder: how much further does Huard's involvement in this topic go back? What set him on this path originally?

Great updates and great to see you write again, coz1.

Great update! It seems that Otto died a rather unexpected death. Though for the life of my I can't figure out what happened to Sam when he went in. I thought he talked to the vampire, but I don't remember what was said. Ah time...it is a killer to the memory.

Not sure Otto's a Nazi, really...

1) from the description, he seems to have been working with Muller for a long time.
2) the "higher ups" are in Vienna
3) Anschluss (let's assume a more or less historical timeline) would be early '38... Hardly enough time to "nazify" everyone.

And this does cast an interesting (possible) new light on earlier episodes (I did re"read" some, to see where the "Nazi" bit came from: that was Finch) ... Maybe they're actually after the eye to *thwart* Hitler, after he brutally annexed their home country (far fetched, maybe? :p)

Well lets hope there is no odd twist on Castle Wolfenstein, that could get too dangerous for Finch. I reck'son Otto is dead, and I also think Miss Sulivan knows more than she'll let onto, and that is putting Finch in deep water.

Fb-fb:

Ah! Otto is biten! Well, that sets up fun posibilities! :D
Indeed it does, sir. Indeed it does. :D

Nazi wampire! Avesöme! :D

Probably not, though. I expect Otto to remain very much dead. Nazi vampires would steer the story a little too much into pulp fiction territory, methinks.

Sam continues to meddle with forces he doesn't understand (should that be 'meddle' or 'blunder through'?). Ms. Sullivan's total composure and that lulling breathing of hers make me wonder if there is perhaps a lot more to hear than meets Sam's eye. Regardless: if she's merely a extremely self-controlled human, she is miles out of Sam's league. And if she is more than meets the eye (i.e. a more literal vamp), then the distance she's out of Sam's league could be measured in lightyears. :)

Interesting earlier update with Huard in London (I have to say, that moody picture of a nocturnal forest doesn't quite fit with my image of the crowded, hustling metropolis that is London - but it fits the mood). What happened to Huard once that vampire closed in on him? Was he bitten, or did something or someone save him from that fate? And if he was bitten, then how did he live through that unscathed (physically at least)?

A last observation is that Huard was in the pub to meet someone. And he was meeting someone very late in the evening. I suspect it is related to the vampires, so even this early, two years before his fateful meeting in New York, Huard's investigations into vampiredom were not entirely new. Makes me wonder: how much further does Huard's involvement in this topic go back? What set him on this path originally?

Great updates and great to see you write again, coz1.
What...you don't think I can write pulp fiction? :p No, I guess it's not my usual style. But I'd say at least the Finch sections here are close to pulp...maybe not good pulp, but pulpy...pulpish...pulp-like...something like that. To be honest, I have not quite decided on the ultimate fate of poor Otto. It really all depends on who bit him, doesn't it? That's all the hint I'll give.

Sam likely is blundering even if he's trying to meddle. :D He just can't help himself around Miss Sullivan. She was very intoxicating. And Sam seems to like that feeling, as I hope I've made clear enough. There is definitely more there as far as she is concerned. I mean...I have to make it so, right? She must vamp it up, regardless of her physical state. ;)

I agree about the photo. I couldn't find one that looked spooky enough while maintaining the city landscape so I picked one that might fit near a small bridge or such. Never having been to London circa 1790, I have no idea what it looks like. But my image is one of a small path out of the way of the busy street. That seemed a perfectly acceptable place to ambush Huard.

And don't worry, I'll dig a bit further into those years before. I'll still be jumping around a bit. I actually considered focusing only on one of these stories for Ep. II to get a chance to really explore it (and it would have obviously been more linear) but I hate to give too much short shrift to any one of them and they do fit together, I promise. Often times, there is a thread that carries over from one post to the next, even if they are in different times or people. The last two go together, believe me, and both have some slight connection to the one I hope to post soon.

Vampires hünting nazis?
Cruel and unfair!
They have done nothing bad, yet! :rolleyes:
But they are such good villains. Perhaps it's overkill, what with the vampires and all, but I just had to do it. :D

Great update! It seems that Otto died a rather unexpected death. Though for the life of my I can't figure out what happened to Sam when he went in. I thought he talked to the vampire, but I don't remember what was said. Ah time...it is a killer to the memory.
Recall he and Jasper saw Oscar...basically a Renfield like substitute. They left in a hurry and were going to call the police. There was a strange visitor hinted at by the end of the scene, however. So the question is, what will the police find once they arrive?

Not sure Otto's a Nazi, really...

1) from the description, he seems to have been working with Muller for a long time.
2) the "higher ups" are in Vienna
3) Anschluss (let's assume a more or less historical timeline) would be early '38... Hardly enough time to "nazify" everyone.

And this does cast an interesting (possible) new light on earlier episodes (I did re"read" some, to see where the "Nazi" bit came from: that was Finch) ... Maybe they're actually after the eye to *thwart* Hitler, after he brutally annexed their home country (far fetched, maybe? :p)
Those would be excellent points were this RL, but recall it is a game. Some history may have changed. I just haven't given out all the details on that yet. :D I decided to go ahead with the familiar Nazi framework, but consider a possible alternative to Prussian Germany. The hint is in the update. ;)

That is an interesting theory about Muller and Otto. But it's not so devious as that. Muller is a company man and Otto a good heavy...usually. ;)

Well lets hope there is no odd twist on Castle Wolfenstein, that could get too dangerous for Finch. I reck'son Otto is dead, and I also think Miss Sulivan knows more than she'll let onto, and that is putting Finch in deep water.
Oh, Finch will find plenty of danger before it's over. Still really setting the pieces in some ways so all the characters need more brush strokes. One piece at a time - that's what I keep telling myself.

The next post requires a bit more work before it's ready. It is pretty important and gives some new information so I need to make sure it is presented right. Maybe tomorrow, but more likely Saturday to give myself plenty of time to work on it.

Thanks for the comments, folks! :)

LongestNightbanner.png

Tirgoviste, 1460

TowerSunsetA.jpg

He stood there watching the late day sun creep slowly below the castle walls, only small shafts of golden light now able to escape the encroaching cloud cover. There was sure to be a storm, such was the heat this day. And the air was thick near sunset as the boyar shifted his weight against the stone column. He pulled a hand from his side to wipe the sweat from his bald head and rubbed it against his tunic. He was waiting. And he would wait as long as it took. He was fortunate that his wait was not long as a retinue of men and women belonging to the Prince of Wallachia passed. They passed this way every day on their way to pay respects and pray for that most holy of Princes, Vlad – the Son of the Dragon.

Near the very end of the train of people, the one he wished to see finally came into view. Long, dark hair contrasted her virginally white dress. One could almost see through it given the light but he did not dare show his interest…not in the open…not at court. The Prince would not allow it.

She knew he loved her. She knew it as she looked at him and briefly flashed a smile, quickly turning her head to look forward once again. If he saw it, he did not let on and continued to watch the sun sneak lower in the sky. He stood solid on both feet as the queue finished moving through the courtyard and followed them at a distance for a few paces before turning off to take solace in the gardens. There he would wait again. But not long.

She turned the corner of a tall hedge gracefully, strands of her long gown floating behind her in a slight breeze. The wind felt good and both allowed it to brush over their skin before either spoke a word of greeting. It was he that finally broke the silence as he held a hand close to her face and gently brushed at her cheek.

“Each day you grow lovelier,” he said with a smile that revealed his surprisingly perfect teeth.

She blushed for a moment before catching her wits and playing with him, “So much that you shall no longer be able to bear it. I shall die alone and unmarried.”

“Never say such a thing, my love. For I should ask your father for your hand in a moment were I to think you’d accept.” He dropped to a knee and stayed there as she looked back at him with her own smile.

“I would not accept because he would not accept.” She never let the smile leave her lips.

The man stood again and took her hand in his own. He bent down slightly and kissed it lovingly. “It is well known that I love no other but you. The Prince is well aware. I am assured that I shall be asked to stay at court indefinitely and perhaps more. Your lips are beautiful my dear…and most tragic when they speak a lie.”

At this, she pulled away and turned from him. Sneaking a small glance back, she challenged his chivalry, “You dare speak such love with hateful words! Now you know why I shall never marry.”

He pulled her close, turning her face to meet his. Their lips nearly touched as he whispered, “You shall love me forever, my darling. And I you. There is no other that shall ever tear that apart.”

She swooned in his arms and he let her, holding on strong. She backed her face from his…perhaps playfully…perhaps not. But she resisted the inevitable kiss. As he recognized it…he dropped her. She fell to the ground and let out a yelp as her weight caught up to her form. Rubbing her thigh, she looked up at him with hate filled eyes, “I shall not forgive you that.”

“Nor shall you forgive me anything, my love. My whole while in this beautiful city and no word from you. Not after three long weeks and countless letters asking…”

“You know I cannot risk it. My father would not allow it. I am to remain chaste and a virgin until such time as he provides me my own prince.”

“And I am come…but you do not wish it.”

He held out a hand to her and she refused, lifting herself from the ground and walking further into the gardens towards a large stone arch in the middle. A small bench sat underneath and she went to it, waiting a moment before sitting down. He followed, as he had often done, and bent his weight to lean against the side of the structure. He looked at her for a long time and she returned the gaze. Their eyes locked often and when they did, it was as if they could read each other’s thoughts. They were very similar…a trait he enjoyed. And she vexed him. He could not deny it.

“Do you truly wish me this pain?” he finally asked her.

Her response was brief, “I do not.” Her face did not betray her words. She could offer him no smile, but her whole body begged for her to go to him and spill herself into his strong arms. Still, she would not.

“Then why do you even meet me here? Is there some final word you wish to give?”

When she did not respond, he finally rushed to her. Picking her up by the arms, he held her close and spoke directly into her ear, “I love you! And I shall never cease in that love for all my days. You must know that! Why do you torture me?!”

His passion excited her and she could no longer resist, pulling his mouth close to hers and kissing him deeply. The taste was overwhelming to both and the embrace lasted far longer than either assumed. She began to pull away and he suckled her bottom lip – not a bite, but rougher than normal – pulling her back in and engorging her senses. Finally, she was caused to hold his face away from her as she caught her breath. She smiled at him and he returned it – this embrace long wanted by both parties. She stroked his face gently as she loosened her grip and allowed him a chance to move in again but he did not. He waited. She moved in close again and he pulled his head back just slightly…just enough to tease her. She wanted it and he knew it. Finally she could no longer help herself and nearly devoured him as she screamed out his name…“Sebastion!”

He could do no other but give in to her passion as she was now freely offering herself and he answered her, softly speaking her name with great desire as he kissed her neck and chest…

“...Selene..."

Last edited:
coz1: ...“Sebastion!” .. “...Selene..."

and so it begins ! ! :)

splendid updates ! !

Beautifully written scene, coz1! Possibly one of the best and most original updates I ever read so far in AARland. Of course the original part is mostly due to this being a grand strategy games forum, with emphasis on war and male dominated, so not much love scenes in AARland by default. I am serious about this update being one of the best I ever read. I was drawn into it. You do a great job here, coz.

A very well written scene coz.
Although I have to admit it left a lot of questions in my mind, the scene was wonderful. I see we are in the land of Vlad and that makes me think that this couple might not be happy for long… there is something more going on here than we know. It shall be very interesting to see what happens next, because all your cliff-hangers and different perspectives leaves a lot of cliff-hangers and makes me want more and more and more ;) I guess that is a sign of a good AAR :)

AH! And excellent scene indeed, Coz. You have begun to unveil the tapestry of intrigue behind poor Abrahams nasty bite. As love scenes go, though I can't hold to be any expert, it was an great update. Leaves lots of questions to ask in the next updates. I reckon Sebastion is already a Vampire.