• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow, Mr. Muller really scares me, there is a certain absolite vileness to his 'lower your guns' approach that seperates it from the normal 'good guy' in a novel that uses that approach but in a different and not quite so terrifying way. So they have lost the note book, and they are tangling, we think, with one of the most powerful countries in the world. Sam hasn't got everything going for him...

Very pragmatic of Sam. But I think he needs to harden up a little if he is really going to follow this one through.

Oh Yes, me likey the update!

Too bad Sam didn't have one last trick up his sleeve (maybe give him the wrong notebook, or tear out a page or too)

Now, we need to know where they are heading next, as their biggest clue deserted them.

Yes, he needs to harden up a little. It won't always work with stealth. But I agree they were overpowered. Anyway, goos writing coz1, nice New Year's present.

Fb-fb:

Quick work on the part of the Germans.

I have to say that Sam has the right idea here. They were obviously overpowered, and it is better to go by stealth thna to bluster on further as Jasper wants to do.

Two of my friends were taking a class on Crime Fiction this past semester and the book got passed around.
There will likely be more occasions when Sam and Jasper disagree. ;) And if you have any other recommendations on crime fiction, please share. I'll need all the help I can get for research.

Wow, Mr. Muller really scares me, there is a certain absolite vileness to his 'lower your guns' approach that seperates it from the normal 'good guy' in a novel that uses that approach but in a different and not quite so terrifying way. So they have lost the note book, and they are tangling, we think, with one of the most powerful countries in the world. Sam hasn't got everything going for him...
I hope this bit informs a little more of why the Germans jumped Sam earlier. And I like Muller already. I am modeling him on a few people, of which I will not say at present. But the face is part John Huston circa Chinatown...I can say that. :D

I hate the way the abuse a thing called english language. :eek:o
Sounds so barbarian.

Sam is a fool. A big fool.
You call into question his word usage and logic? Sam will be so disappointed. ;) He does have a lot of questions right now, no doubt. And no answers, really. I put the guy in a tough spot.

Very pragmatic of Sam. But I think he needs to harden up a little if he is really going to follow this one through.
He needs some answers and I wonder if not a little concerned about Miss Sullivan. He certainly had a thing for her but now she may be mixed up with something above him. Lot's of questions rattling around in his mind.

Oh Yes, me likey the update!

Too bad Sam didn't have one last trick up his sleeve (maybe give him the wrong notebook, or tear out a page or too)

Now, we need to know where they are heading next, as their biggest clue deserted them.
To be honest, I almost feel he dragged it out too long. I wanted a back and forth there, however. I was inspired by the scene in Maltese Falcon when Bogart first meets Peter Lorre. I couldn't copy that, but I wanted something similar.

Yes, he needs to harden up a little. It won't always work with stealth. But I agree they were overpowered. Anyway, goos writing coz1, nice New Year's present.
Thanks. As for Sam, I think he's holding up alright under the pressure. I hope to get that across as we go along - he doesn't get knocked out too much - but knocked down? Yes, definitely. :D

To all - I have another smaller update ready for today. There will be a larger scene sometime this weekend. Thanks for your comments! :)

LongestNightbanner.png

Long Island, New York, 1792

The wind whipped sharply against his skin as he stood in the darkness and surveyed the ground in front of him. The blades of grass were frozen in place by icy rain and a crispness in the air suggested more was to come. The strong moonlight above gave him strength and he inhaled the frosty night air into his lungs causing him to cough. He was not used to enjoying such pleasures anymore. Those portions of him ceased living years ago. Now he needed his real sustenance…his life giving potion…that would make him feel again.

A cloud rolled by overhead and obscured the bright moon causing a dark spot to hover over the field ahead. In this moment, he chose to move. Swiftly, he glided at the edge of the cloud shadow, making his way to a barn that sat close to the large manor house of some New York man of money. It mattered not who suffered, for all would if they opposed him. He had no need for high blood anyway. Any fool would do. And he found the stronger ones held the most nourishment.

Oh the pleasure the hunt gave him. The search – the strike…it made his blood rush through his veins and energy soar through his body. He loved it so much; he was forced to be careful that he not abuse it. Too much and it would be a waste. And then questions would arise…he’d already been driven from his homelands, so many years ago. He only needed enough to satisfy his cravings and gain enough strength to follow what he truly wanted…the Eye.

With quiet ease, he pulled the door open and entered the musty hay filled barn. There was a sound to his right and he backed up against the wall and into the shadows. A small light gave off a warm glow in the farthest corner and he watched as a large black man stood and looked around. Seeing nothing, the man sat again and resumed his activities. As the shape moved closer, he could see the man was eating. The irony did not escape him.

As if lifted by the air, the shape skirted the wall and held his gaze through the shadows, softly gliding closer and closer. As he moved where there was no more shadow, his body drifted, as if somehow attached, up the rough wooden wall and into the rafters. Here it was dark and he was ready to strike…

But then another sound was heard…another slave? Another victim. He turned to see a skinnier man slide the barn door aside and come in.

“Cold night!” the new man announced as he walked over and sat by the candlelight.

“Shoooo…that ain’t a lie,” the other answered as he offered his meager portions to his friend.

A different method might be needed…two at once was never a problem, but could be noisy. It required swift action and strength. He was weakened already and did not want to exert too much of his stored energy. But perhaps something sly…perhaps…

“Good evening,” the shape announced as he suddenly moved from the darkness by the door. Neither man had heard his movement out of the rafters. He walked forward and stood, looking the two men over in his black waste coat, gloves covering his hands and a tight neckerchief flowing from his neatly pressed silk vest.

He smiled and the two men had little choice but to smile in return. A question seemed to be on the tip of both tongues, but for some reason, they could not ask it. The man focused on the larger of his victims, intently watching his every move and tuning his body to move with the other. His eyes seemed to be big black circles that ensnared the man into a trance. He moved his right arm out from his body and the black man did likewise.

A laugh escaped his mouth when he quickly turned to the other man, his mouth agape in something close to horror. “Do not fear,” the shape stated, “Your turn comes next.”

The dark shape pushed the large black man against the wall using a force like strong wind. He held the man down and pushed his large head aside. A scream attempted to escape the man’s mouth but the shape covered it with his hand and sank his sharp teeth into the victim’s neck, sucking…sucking…feeding…

…the second of the two men recoiled in fright as if slapped from a daze. He closed his eyes but could plainly hear struggling sounds coming from across the room. Then it stopped. Quiet. He opened his eyes slowly; hoping to God above that whatever joined them in this room would go away, but…

vampire1.jpg

AHHHHHH! Scary! *whimpers a little*

*gains composure*

Quite scary, if you hadn't already determined that! Excellent work, though, brilliant as ever! :D

He is on the prowl now, and his first victims are taken. He must be stopped soon or he will be strong enough to take the Eye, and god knows what he will be able to do with that.

I have actually never read that book but have watched the movie many times. Just watched it the other week.

If you get the chance you should read it. It's my favorite Hammett book. John Huston wrote the script for the movie and after you read the book you’ll realize that most of the dialogue comes verbatim from the book. Must have been the easiest script to write in the history of Hollywood movies.;)

Joe

“Ran into a couple of bruisers and my face taught ‘em a lesson.” Sam winced when she touched one of his cuts.
Great line!

Maybe it was the hangover clouding his judgment, but after his beating you'd think Sam would have had the presence of mind to watch out for a tail. So far he's been outfoxed at every turn. Better get his act together.

Continued good writing and effective use of atmosphere, coz. Keep up the good work!

A very nice little scene. Clearly this is what our newly created vampire might become, because this seems to well rehearsed for one newly acquainted with the Hunger.

Interesting way of approaching the 'supernatural' powers of a full fledged vampire too. Nothing too obvious, I like it :)

Fb-fb:

AHHHHHH! Scary! *whimpers a little*

*gains composure*

Quite scary, if you hadn't already determined that! Excellent work, though, brilliant as ever! :D
Excellent! That's precisely what I was going for. :D

A racist vampire? :D
So how did he stop the targets from creating noise?:confused:
Call it his power. The first one had no chance and the second was so scared, it just never came before it was too late.

A form of hypnosis? Not entirely perfect, which will hopefully turn out to be a good thing.
You could say that. I am slowly placing clues as to the vampire's power. Hopefully it rings true. I hope to compare and contrast a little between this vampire and Huard (a little sneak preview there.)

He is on the prowl now, and his first victims are taken. He must be stopped soon or he will be strong enough to take the Eye, and god knows what he will be able to do with that.
Indeed. I'll try to be more specific soon about this character, but for right now, I like him prowling around the edges.

If you get the chance you should read it. It's my favorite Hammett book. John Huston wrote the script for the movie and after you read the book you’ll realize that most of the dialogue comes verbatim from the book. Must have been the easiest script to write in the history of Hollywood movies.;)

Joe
Great movie. I'll definitely give that a look see. It's never an issue to read a little Hammett or Chandler, for that matter.

Great line!

Maybe it was the hangover clouding his judgment, but after his beating you'd think Sam would have had the presence of mind to watch out for a tail. So far he's been outfoxed at every turn. Better get his act together.

Continued good writing and effective use of atmosphere, coz. Keep up the good work!
Thanks. Sam is still catching up, I think. It may take him a little longer to get a grip on things. Besides, I never said he was a good detective. ;) Lucky maybe, and persistent. That's more what I'd like to get at.

A very nice little scene. Clearly this is what our newly created vampire might become, because this seems to well rehearsed for one newly acquainted with the Hunger.

Interesting way of approaching the 'supernatural' powers of a full fledged vampire too. Nothing too obvious, I like it :)
Exactly. And thanks on the other - I really did not want to be too in the face about it. Like I said above, I'll parcel a little bit here and a little bit there. Hopefully it comes across.

To all - it looks like Sunday will forever be a day of rest for me. :rolleyes: I did get a blog post up but not much else today. I may get something together, but better to look to the start of the week for the next post. Thanks for reading and certainly for your great comments!

Oh, I wonder where his homeland was...out of everything that strikes as the most unusual or the question I want most answered :D

And whatever it is...he doesn't find the eye

Oh, I wonder where his homeland was...out of everything that strikes as the most unusual or the question I want most answered :D

And whatever it is...he doesn't find the eye
That is an excellent question and one I promise to answer at some point during the story. His history is a pretty interesting one (I hope). ;)

As for who finds the Eye...look for another update hopefully tonight. If not, it'll likely be mid-week. Thanks for the comments, folks! I really appreciate it. :)

Jasper had moved towards the two men in an effort to relieve them of their guns but one of them pulled him close while the other moved towards Minnie. The third man then turned to Sam and smiled.

“Victories can be so fleeting. Can they not?”

:eek:

And with that, a favorite character is etched in my brain. I could even see the smile, hear the tone...'twas perfect.

Subscribed...
TheExecuter

A truly chilling and remarkable update! But nothing short of what we can expect from you coz1!

Keep up the amazing work!

Okay, I'll be ambitious and add another AAR to my to-read list. That makes two. Whew! Better sit down now and catch my breath! :p

Anyway, I've read the first couple of updates (three, to be exact). I'm liking the noir scenes. I haven't made my mind up yet about the 1792 scenes, but since I've only read the very first post set in that era, that is perhaps to be expected.

I hope my reading will outpace your writing, so that I'll be able to shortly catch up to the current point in the story.