• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You sir have an amazing writing style.

Love it! Great AAR so far, I'm eager to see what is next.

This is great writing sir! Seems like canonized will have a though time winning his next two ACA's with you and phargle challenging him this well.

Great work, coz! The writing evokes Marlowe and the dialogue is especially sweet. I feel like I'm in the front row watching Bogie. :)

Great work, coz! The writing evokes Marlowe and the dialogue is especially sweet. I feel like I'm in the front row watching Bogie. :)

Marlow is a good guess but Dashiell Hammett would be a better quess.;)
Great start cuz. You know I have a soft spot for a good murder mystery.

Joe

Loving it *approval stamp*

Why the name of the the aar?
Long night?

In a simple context, it could just mean that the investigator has a long night ahead of him. In a broader context, it means that there is going to be a revolution; this lost gem, and the conspiracies the investigator uncovers, will bring down the very underpinnings of civilization.

Fb-fb:

Amazing start! Looking forward for more, I am very intrigued. This is the first time I read any of your AARs, and I heard only good things, so I am excited.

Good luck!

*subscribes*
Good to know my reputation precedes me. ;) Thank you sir and glad to know you'll be along for the ride.

I feel like I'm watching a Film Noir, with the music and all! :D

Excellent writing style you have, sir!
You have touched exactly what I was going for in that scene. That you could hear the music too is a great compliment. Gotta love the shorthand of film noir. One knows it when they read it (see it.)

1938?

I am mightily intrigued. I very much like your writing.

Our detective sounds like a depressed version of Sam & Max :p.
Indeed, there will be some jumping around here. Again, I don't want to give too much away but we'll be following a few stories here, at least at the beginning. I promise they all tie together. As for Sam & Max, I admit, I had to look that up. But while not cartoon, it is certainly the same premise...to a point. ;)

You sir have an amazing writing style.

Love it! Great AAR so far, I'm eager to see what is next.
Thank you, sir. Glad you are enjoying. I hope to keep up a steady pace so you won't have to wait too long.

You've got a decent and solid narrative start. I am curious how things tie together - you have two times visited so far, one with a gothic feel and the other with a noir feel. Interesting. Oh, and:

NO SHE DOESN'T

SAM YOU MORON

ARGH

:)
Thank you. As I said above, we'll be looking at a few places in time here and I may change styles up a bit so that each narrative goes with the time for which it is written. I hope that works. Not sure yet. You guys will have to tell me how effective it is. As for Sam...well, let's just say she was an exceptional beauty. He may not have been thinking straight. But what men are when it comes to noir?

This is great writing sir! Seems like canonized will have a though time winning his next two ACA's with you and phargle challenging him this well.
Well I don't know about that but there are a great many wonderful narratives going on right now, certainly canonized and phargle's among them. Hopefully I can at least compete for reading time. ;)

I'm glad you liked that dialogue. I'm no Joe Storey but I hoped to get that feel, and especially pleased that the description worked since I wasn't doing first person narration as many of the noirs do. Marlowe, Sam Spade and of course, Bogie's portrayal were certainly influences that I hope I can keep up when the narrative requires it.

Intriguing start. Wonder how this is all related to the EU3 timeframe.
Indeed, there is a question I suspect I'll get a lot. Again, I don't want to give too much away but trust me - it fits. We'll be touching the EU timeframe plenty but I wanted to widen the scope a bit. At first, we may spend more time in the "present" but we'll be back there as it all ties in. Have patience and hopefully it will be rewarded.

Yayz, another good aar!

Why the name of the the aar?
Long night?
Thanks. The name is another that will have to wait for explanation. But when it comes, you'll understand exactly why it is called such. And that explanation may come soonish. Not sure exactly when, but like I said - you'll know it. :D

Marlow is a good guess but Dashiell Hammett would be a better quess.;)
Great start cuz. You know I have a soft spot for a good murder mystery.

Joe
Thanks Joe! You were definitely an inspiration here as well with your Desert Tides. In fact, I admit to looking a bit at that recently to get the feel for writing this. And I am sure I'll be revisiting that when it comes time for the dreaded cliffhanger, oh great teacher of the hanging cliff. Anyone reading this should definitely give Storey's work a look see if they haven't already.

Trust me it is going to be a looooonnnngggg Night! Harharhar ;)

Brilliant chapter! The desciption of Miss....surely got my attention I may have re-read a couple of sentence more than twice ;)

I can only wonder where this is going.
Yes, that could be true. :D Sam has his work cut out for him. And indeed, Miss Sullivan was a temptress. Certainly got Sam's number.

Loving it *approval stamp*
Excellent! Hope it remains in such high esteem.

In a simple context, it could just mean that the investigator has a long night ahead of him. In a broader context, it means that there is going to be a revolution; this lost gem, and the conspiracies the investigator uncovers, will bring down the very underpinnings of civilization.
You may be more spot on than you think but I'll not give away anything yet. ;) Let's just say the title is entirely fitting. More than any other title I've ever decided upon, this one came quickly.

To all - Don't want to get too far ahead of myself so I'll wait until the weekend to update, either tomorrow or Sunday hopefully. I really appreciate all the great comments. Keep 'em coming, It assures you of more story to read, definitely. :)

It is magnificent to see you take up your pen again sir, or perhaps more accurately your keyboard, and to see you exhibit your talent to some new faces. These two opening passages are wonderful work, reminding me in a sense of the opening of Into the West. So much possibility, and so much more to find out. I eagerly await that journey.

LongestNightbanner.png

New York City, 1938

Sam Finch bundled up as he stepped out of the front door of his building. The temperature had dropped causing the falling snow to become an icy rain and it cut harshly as he walked down the street. He pulled the collar of his overcoat to his neck to keep out the chill and trudged down the busy street towards the best bar in town, The Uptown Lounge. It held the usual seedy characters as well as some old cop pals. In a previous life, Sam had been on the force but quit when he tired of taking orders and never could make detective thanks to an in crowd he never could break. He liked being his own boss and could still use the connections to get information when he needed it.

He passed manhole covers that spewed hot misty air from the depths of Manhattan and bright streetlights that proved the harsh weather of this early January winter. A bum sheltered barely from the storm huddled in an alleyway and asked Sam for some change as he passed. Sam dropped the fella a few coin still pleased about his recent largess thanks to Miss Sullivan. He still couldn’t get that perfume off his mind or out of his nose. And he wondered about her story. Every dame had one and this one looked to be a book.

Stepping off the curb to avoid a few drunken revelers, his foot dropped into an icy puddle in the street. He cursed and shook his leg when he was back on dry ground and moved to avoid some men walking out of the bar. Once under the awning, he shook his coat and dropped the hat from his head to let the wetness drip from the brim. He’d curse again if it did any good but he knew inside lay the warmth he needed. And maybe a few answers.

bar.jpg

“Sam!” Cookie Rollens shouted as the wet detective entered the smoky bar. He was the proprietor and knew everyone that came in. “Looks like you could use a drink”

“Don’t mind if I do, Cookie. Make it a double.” Sam pulled his coat from his back and placed it with his hat on a rack by the door. “Quick now, I need to melt.”

The bartender slid the glass of scotch towards Sam and smiled as he poured another draught for the patrons. It was then that Frank Longello spied Sam and nodded. “Bitch of a night, ain’t it?”

“You got that right. How’s tricks, Frank?”

“Ah, you know. Same old shit.” The old cop pulled a beer to his lips and took it down slow, wiping his chin when he placed the mug down. “How ‘bout you? Any business lately?”

Sam took down some of his own drink and nodded, “Funny you should ask. Had a gal come in tonight.”

“Hey…how about that. Maybe you’ll actually make some money from this job.”

Sam’s old cop buddies liked to razz him about his new line of work. They looked down on him since they figured he couldn’t cut it. A private dick was one step away from loser in their book. But Sam didn’t care.

“Maybe. Look, I’d like to bend your ear about something.”

“Shoot,” the cop pointed a finger and dropped his thumb as if a gun. His grizzled face wrinkled into a smile and he jumped one seat over so they could talk.

“This gal that come in…she was looking for a professor at NYU. Name was Noah West. Apparently he’s gone missing. Ever heard of the guy?”

“Hmm…” Frank thought on it for a few seconds and then nodded. “Now that you mention, yeah, I have. The fellas were called down there last week. Old man’s office was gone over pretty good by somebody looking for something, I guess. Don’t know what they wanted but there was no sign of the guy. We searched his apartment too.”

“Get anything useful?” Sam was happy to have caught a break so far and struggled to listen over the din of noise as he sipped his scotch.

“Dunno. You’d have to go down to the station and ask. I ain’t working that case. But Tiny was on it. He was in here earlier. Check with him.”

“Yeah…thanks.” Sam took another sip and was surprised when he was tapped on the shoulder.

“Finch?” A gravely voice asked behind him and he turned to see an older man with glasses looking at him. He recognized him. It was Jasper White, a news reporter that hung out at the bar always trying to get the inside scoop.

“Yeah? Wadda you want?” Sam never cared for Jasper and the feeling was mutual.

“I over heard your conversation…”

“Sounds about right.” Frank Longello gave Jasper the stink eye and moved back to his original seat. “This guy’s always listening in.”

Jasper paid him no mind and continued looking at Sam. “I think I may be able to help you. Can we sit down and talk?”

“You got something to say then say it, buddy. Trying to have a drink here.” Sam turned his back on the reporter and took another sip.

“I think you may want to hear what I have. Look…I’ll buy you another. If we could just move over there.” Jasper pointed to an empty table at the back of the bar where it was quieter.

Sam turned again and looked the guy over. Couldn’t hurt, he guessed. And if another drink was involved it may just be worth it. “OK, fella. Buy me that drink and we’ll talk.”

Sam stepped from the bar stool and moved to the back of the room. Seconds later, Jasper followed with two glasses of scotch and sat next to him. He pulled a small notebook from his coat pocket and slapped it on the table and looked at Sam as if to ask him to read it.

“What’s that? Your laundry list?” Sam chuckled at his lame joke.

“It’s research Finch. I’ve been working a story about that Professor of yours. He’s a pretty big guy in antiquities and an expert on valuable jewels.”

“Yeah? So what. Why’s the Post interested in some old codger professor?” Sam took the last of his original drink and began working on his second one as he kept his eyes looking over the cloudy room.

“The Post isn’t but I am. I visited with him two months ago and we talked about a certain gemstone he’d been researching.” Jasper leaned in close and nearly whispered.

At the mention of the gemstone, Sam perked up and turned his attention to Jasper. “What in holy hell is this damn thing? Had a lady mention something like that earlier.”

“That’s my point, Finch. I think we are looking for the same thing. You want the Professor and I want the scoop on this rock. It’s a valuable item and if what Professor West told me is true, could be finding a lost treasure.”

“I don’t care about the rock. I was hired to find the guy. What do you know about that?” Sam took another drink and waited for Jasper to answer.

“Nothing Finch, but I’d like to know myself. If he’s been kidnapped, or worse murdered, then he must have been pretty close to it. He had all his information written in a notebook. If you can get in to see what evidence the cops found, I’d be interested in what you got.”

“So you want me to do your work for you, is that it?”

Jasper White looked at Sam for a few seconds before answering. “I want to help you if you can help me. I’ll give you some background on this guy that might help you track him down. I’m already working on it. But I can’t get into the station house or his apartment. You can. We can work together on this, Finch.”

The idea of working with a reporter was one step away from being dirt in Sam’s mind. Either way, he hated the breed. But this was a chance to get a leg up on his case and he couldn’t refuse.

“Buy me another drink and fill me in with what you got. Tomorrow, we’ll go over to the fella’s place and have a look see. After that, you’re on your own, boyo.”

Jasper nodded and went to buy another round while Sam sat looking over the crowded bar. He smiled at the notion that he’d caught an early lead. And that meant another chance to see Miss Sullivan. At that thought, he smiled again and took another sip of scotch. This could turn out to be an easy case.

Last edited:
I think that last thought will come back and haunt him. In fact, I don't think it, I know it.

Interesting parallel here - his old pals from the force think he's only one step above being a loser, and he thinks the reporter is only one step above being a loser. I wonder what sort of person Jasper thinks is almost a loser - a politician maybe, or perhaps his editor :)

Very nice. I, too, await the return of the Miss Sullivan. Wait she's a Miss? If this was a hollywood movie, he'd done her already :eek:o.

I don't usually read murder mysteries but your work has me hooked!

Another fantastic update... I'm hooked and waiting for more!

Simply amazing so far!

Although I'm not surprised Mr. Finch is excited about having an "easy" case, I do believe drafting Mr. White into his investigation will only bring more trouble than he's worth.

Excellent Writing, as usual, Mr. coz1! :)