• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jan 6, 2004
Scenario: Mongol Empire Scenario

This AAR will start somwhen during this week, I shall finish my Norwegian AAR first (only needs one more post). The Norwegian AAR may continiue later, but I am going to pause it for now and write an AAR about Iceland in the Middle Ages until I restart it later.

Goals: Conquer the world

Serious goals: Conquer Ireland and survive possible attacks from Norway (they have CB shield on Iceland in my edit of the scenario) :D

King Yngvar said:
Scenario: Mongol Empire Scenario

This AAR will start somwhen during this week, I shall finish my Norwegian AAR first (only needs one more post). The Norwegian AAR may continiue later, but I am going to pause it for now and write an AAR about Iceland in the Middle Ages until I restart it later.

Goals: Conquer the world

Serious goals: Conquer Ireland and survive possible attacks from Norway (they have CB shield on Iceland in my edit of the scenario) :D
Good luck over here, King. BTW, do you really think that conquering Ireland is a serious goal? Probably a plain survival goal would be enough (just kiddin') :rofl: ;)

Oh, and I also wanted to tell you that I'm working on some Icelandic events (based on the ones you posted in the MES thread). I'll post them at Languish (link in my sig) cause I want you to take a close look at them before putting them on the next beta, ok? Thx!!!

I wonder how effective Norway would be at waging war anyway. I mean, just getting to you ain't easy, and winter and storms are going to take a terrible toll on any fleet or army that does make it.

Though I think you should conquer Orkney ;)

I hope no real WC will be made but this AAR will just be a serious one. Then it is very very interesting to me.

Waiting for the first post.

Excellent, king Yngvar !! :) It's always good to see new Mongolian Scenario AAR's, and you have chosen a country not easy at all. I wonder how you'll manage your country :eek:

Good luck over here, King. BTW, do you really think that conquering Ireland is a serious goal? Probably a plain survival goal would be enough (just kiddin')

Oh, and I also wanted to tell you that I'm working on some Icelandic events (based on the ones you posted in the MES thread). I'll post them at Languish (link in my sig) cause I want you to take a close look at them before putting them on the next beta, ok? Thx!!!

I will go and have a look, and see if I can be able to register there...

I wonder how effective Norway would be at waging war anyway. I mean, just getting to you ain't easy, and winter and storms are going to take a terrible toll on any fleet or army that does make it.

Though I think you should conquer Orkney

In my previous MES games, Orkney always get conquered by Scotland. I have put them in an alliance (with Norway as leader of course) and as a vassal (historical) of Norway to prevent this (assuming Norway will come to their resque), but Norway always get ganged up by Sweden and Denmark, so they just dishonor the military alliance with Orkney and allies with Novgorod right away (because relations are at +0 between Norway and Orkney, tried to put them to +200 in the files but had no success). Something that bugs me is the alliance between Denmark and Sweden that seems to last into the 1200's in every game, there should be some Swedish event in 1206 or around where option "a" makes Sweden break any possible vassalage or alliance with Denmark and declare war on them plus worsening relations by -200. Norway should then get a choice, regardless of being in an alliance with Denmark or not, where they get to choose side between Sweden and Denmark in the war. It's historical, Norway (Birchlegs) sent 3,000 troops to Sweden's aid, not in the first Danish attack of 1207 because they were too busy with the Croziers, but once the treaty was signed between Birchlegs and Croziers and the Danes attacked again in 1210, Norway helped out with 3,000 troops or so in the battle of Gestilren.

I concider Orkney an unrealistic target as it is conquered by Scotland before the first decade has passed (most likely). Plus, I want to be a naval power, and conquering Ireland seems like a nice goal. It also looks easy as they are constantly warring with eachother and has no forts in the beginning. Let's imagine this (I did a test run as Iceland till 1165, not the game for the AAR, it will be a new game), Munster-Connacht alliance is at war with Meath-Ulster alliance, Leinster just sits and does nothing. I declare war on Meath-Ulster alliance, seeing Meath doing invasions southwards, using their military access in Leinster. I land in Ulster, defeat the small army of their with my 7,000 troops. Annex them, march into Connacht while their troops are passing through Leinster, annexes them (and gets 6,000 more troops!). I declare war on Leinster soon after, but they had joined the Scotland's alliance, I get ganged up, my BB is also pretty high and Connacht has CB shields on my lands so they decide to declare war on me too, taking Munster with them. Since I got no forts in Ireland, I have to rely on the army to do all the defending, it get crushed eventually in Ulster when the combined Irish armies invade. Finally, miracolously, Scottish troops unload in Iceland, since I have no army there... well, Iceland is annexed by Scotland. Bah! Going to do a second try...

Now this is a challenge! As your test run showed it's going to take a little luck and skill at the beginning. If you can grab Ireland can Scotland safe for long? :D

Joe :D

10 longships = 1 ship in game

Forming an empire - the dream of a madman?

Jon Loftsson the Womanizer had used the first years of his reign to do nothing but sharming the ladies of the powerful men of Iceland, causing feuds and conflicts. The landowners and lawmen were tired of him and the people spoke of a re-election. "We need a new law-speaker, one who takes care of the laws, instead of chasing our wimen!" was the words on the minds of the important people. However, in his fourth year of office, in 1150, Jon decided to do a little change of things in Iceland. He started by expanding the trade and eventually taking control of much of the trade in Bjørgvin, alongside the Norwegian traders. After King Inge of Norway had defeated his brothers, he was ready to sign a trade agreement with Iceland, effectively managing the control of the northern trade alongside the Icelanders. The expansion of Iceland had begun, at least economically.

The next step Jon Loftsson did was to improve relations with the Norwegian court, he was known for his sharming effects on wimen and when he traveled to Norway to "drink in" the christmas with King Inge in 1152 his hidden flirting with the wimen led them to affect the king in his diplomatic decicions.
A royal marriage was soon arranged too, some noble woman, King Inge's sister had probably been taken by Jon's sharm during his short stay in Norway, and she followed him home to Iceland.
When he returned, the lawmen frowned upon him. They questioned his decicions in making a so called royal marriage, Iceland did not have any royal family did it? Was this his own personal suit for glory? Would he abolish the Allthing and make himself a king? All these questions were asked.
Jon Loftsson responded to them to relieve them of their worries, his speech at the Allthing was recorded by a contemporary saga writer, Hvamm-Sturla, let us see what he said:

"My fellow freedom loving countrymen, if you think I do this to undermine this great free people of ours and turn them into serfs like the despots of Europe? I say not my friends. Let me ridden you of your burdens and tell you my real intentions. I wish nothing but freedom, in fact I wish to expand our freedom to other men and wimen of Europe. Should only we be the ones that enjoy just laws and free elections? Should only our people have the right not to be executed without a fair trial on the Thing? I say not, I wish we could free the whole of the Christian world from their threlldom, starting with Ireland. I have married a Norwegian noblewoman, why does it worry you? In fact, it should un-worry you as I will no longer chase your beloved daughters."

Laugther came from the crowd, he paused and continiued:

"An alliance will be signed with Norway and their vassals in Orkney, do not worry, for we shall retain our independance, my hope is that in the far future, it will be the Norwegians that join our rule and that our brothers of blood there become as free as we are. Remember that we were those who left Norway to escape the tyranny of the king and become the free people we are today. Those who remained in Norway were not so lucky, it was not their fault that they were held back in chains and prevented from leaving Harald's despotism. I shall hope that one day they become free from the rule of any king. Countrymen, in the name of honor and freedom, let us gain a hold on Europe and liberate Ulster!"

Thus began "operation Ulster freedom". It was an intervention necessary to free the people of Ulster from their despot ruler. Norway joined the side of Iceland, but Orkney dishonored the alliance. A move that was not so smart by Orkney, since they had no allies when Scotland declared war, invaded them and annexed them the month after.

Troops had been recruited, 6,000 brave Icelanders volunteerely had joined to fight for the cause of freedom under the leadership of Thorvardr inn Raudi. The Icelandic fleet of sixty longships landed on the shores of Northern Ulster and defeated the army stationed there. The people of Ulster were soon liberated from despotism, but an ongoing war between Connacht-Munster alliance and the Meath-Leinster-Ulster alliance caused our roads to be blocked from taking Meath, it had been taken by Connacht, while Leinster had been taken by Munster. The entire alliance that Iceland fought against was gone, the lawdom could have gained two more provinces in the war, but that might had been hard to keep.

Norway was expanding in Scandinavia, they declared war on the Danish-Swedish alliance and rode swiftly troughout the Swedish countryside, defeating the Swedes in every battle until finally taking Skara, Sweden was reduced to one province after a few months of battle. Soon after followed the invasion of Denmark when the Danes were ripped off from two provinces, Skåne and Jylland.

Things were going great for Jon Loftsson, until he got sick in december 1155, no-one could say what it was, but a new law-speaker had to be elected, his name was Snorri Hunbogasson, and was more of a moderate leader than Jon Loftsson the Womanizer. During wars, he would not administrate them at all, since his knowledge of war was more on the level of the common Icelander, none. However, the lawdom had a good general named Thorvardr inn Raudi, whom himself would take care of the wars and the administration of future gained provinces. When Norway declared war on the Novgorod-Vladimir alliance in 1160, Thorvardr landed his army in Ingermannland. Then he moved his horde swiftly through Olonets and into Arkhangels, forcing Vladimir to sign a seperate peace and cede 50,000 silver sterling. Novgorod was besieged by joint Norwegian-Icelandic forces and Novgorod was defeated in a battle in Pskov until they finally agreed to cede the province of Ingermannland and hand over 50,000 silver sterling to Iceland for a seperate peace in January, 1163, one more province was then liberated from opression.
Norway was at this time still at war with the Russian alliance and also at war with the Holy Roman alliance, consisting of at least ten different kingdoms and principalities, including the Empire itself. Iceland of course, honored their alliance and were too, at war with the Holy Roman alliance. During these years, Norway had fought a seperate war with Sweden, where they had annexed them after the last capture of Skara.

The liberation of Europe had begun, it was time for the Icelanders to show the world of Christianity the true meaning of freedom!

See the results of me giving Norway 500 starting ducats to prevent them from getting ganged up by Denmark and Sweden :D

25th of March, 1163: http://groups.msn.com/ScreenshotsforGames/screenieseuii.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=17

I presume this means this attempt is proving more successful than the first?

Good start in any case. Though your nascent Empire appears to be soemwhat far-flung, I''m sure it will get more joined-up as time goes on :D

Yes, a little more successfull I must say...

Am I not supposed to be far flung? :) I now have an adittional goal in case I manage to take control of all Ireland. The goal will be to have stronghold on various coastal areas, I now has a hold in the Baltic. Pherhaps I will annex those pagan Estonians? Then, pherhaps a hold in Northern Spain, Gibraltar, Sardinia and Corsica? I might end up doing a crusade in the end, but my goal is to dominate the seas :D

A true task in any age, but especially in the one you are playing. Already you appear to have it under control. And mighty high expectations as well.

And I just have to say, this bit was wonderful:
I have married a Norwegian noblewoman, why does it worry you? In fact, it should un-worry you as I will no longer chase your beloved daughters."
Laughter came from me as well. Brilliant! :rofl:

How about going for all one-province islands?

I have to dissappoint you all, the savefile is not working. "mes_norway" can't open it says, and I deleted that file because the events was not working. Anyway, the entire game is screwed, not just the MES. I tried playing a normal grandcampaign and got a message that "1419_str.inc" can't open and it just shut down, and I have definately not bothered to even open any strassburg file! I re-installed the entire game, pluss the mongol scenario and patches to both, put back my own save files, monarch files and leader files. Tried to start the game, with same result.

Remind me never to download Age of Imperialism scenario again, because it is the cause of all my troubbles. Now I guess I have to clean the entire computer from EU files, bah! Don't expect this to restart in the nearest future, I have gotten tired of searching for files to fix and delete, I'm putting the EUII CD back in its cover. I guess when I get a new computer and adsl internet I will be back on with this AAR, and back online for that matter, unless someone could just solve all my problems right away...

Seems like you need a clean install, I could've said it even by looking at the screenshot. A shame it did not work out, as this aar seemed to be destined to become a really good one.

A great shame indeed. Perhaps after you've reloaded you might be able to give it another go?

Well i take it this AAr is pretty much buggred then. That is a shame, i was looking 4ward 2 this one. :(