• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Conqueristo

Captain
150 Badges
Feb 7, 2001
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • For the Motherland
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Impire
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
This is my first AAR for Crusader Kings. I am running CK with the Deus Vult addon, with the recent 2.1 beta patch applied. Unfortunately, I found out about the DVIP after I'd begun this game, so I've left it uninstalled for now.

Prologue
The year is 1040. My step-grandfather is victorious in battle against Duncan, who thought he could invade our kindred lands of Moray. Macbeth takes his rightful place as the King of Scotland. The future of our dynasty seemed assured, and within ten years he went on a pilgrimage to the Holy City.
But not was all that it seemed, as Duncan's kin had fled, and bidden their time until they could mount a challenge to dethrone Macbeth. For that is what they did, with Duncan's son Malcolm gaining his revenge at the battle of Lumphanen in 1057.
Thankfully, our loyal men safely carried Macbeth to Scone to be buried. After he was laid to rest, my father who was the stepson of Macbeth was investured at Scone as the new King of Scotland. His reign would be a short one indeed...
LulachKingofScotland_1057-1058.jpg

And so it begins...
Starting.jpg

The years have been kind to me and I have come of age, gaining prestige and losing none of the Duchy. My name is Maelesnechtan, or as I prefer, Maeles...I am the of course the Duke of Moray, having control of three fiefs - Moray, Sutherland and Ross. I already have a rival, that scheming so-called King of Scotland, Malcolm III.
Today is December 26, 1066. Apparently William of Normandy has made landfall in Britain.
DuchyOfMoray1066.jpg

My demense in 1066.

The heirs of MacBeth, an excellent idea! Good luck!

(And if you see any forests approaching your castle…run! :D )

Ahh, a Scottish AAR based in the proper part of Scotland. None of this Lowland nonsense :)

Nothing like a week vacation
It's only been a week since Christmas, and that week was spent out hunting and contemplating my future. To make my duchy, and ultimately my kingdom prosper, I found that it would be much work by myself, and thus summoned my courtiers to my castle in Moray.
1067-Courtof1067.jpg

By the first week of January, I had assembled a party of nobles to help me in my kingly duties. Even with these nobles on board, I felt something was awry. Yes, I had no bishop to please Rome, but I had no wife to please me. Thus began my next quest for a suitable wench to supply me with kin.

Very neighbourly indeed...
After much searching, I had found a suitable lady to be my wife in the court of the Duke of Albany. Her name was Swannoc, and she held the position of Chancellor. On the 25th of January, I requested her hand, and asked the approval of her liege.
1067Jan25-MarraigeProposal.jpg

On the 18th of February we were wed, I of course took Royal Marriage Aid Duty.
After the honeymoon, on March 20 I appointed her the new Chancellor of my realm.
1067Mar20-WifeBecomesChancellor-1.jpg

Well, with this much done in my realm, could I really afford to lay back and do nothing now? Not by a long shot...the first step in being a worthy adversary, and strong enough for my armies to take on Scotland in due course, was education. I set about a plan for acquiring knowledge.
If we were to learn anything, I decided to focus our efforts on three areas:
  • Crush Weapons - I wanted to wield real killing power
  • Power - Roads will be needed for large armies
  • Schools - with these we can increase our knowledge
Admittedly with only the nobles knowing much, I don't know how we'll go...
However, only time would tell. As for me, I had my mind on other things...by August 15, my wife was finally expecting.
1067Aug17-ClaimStrathclydeForMyKin.jpg

As a impending father, I felt it my duty to claim more land for my kin. And shortly after, I laid claim to the County of Strathclyde which was occupied by Malcolm...

I didn't realize Malcolm III was the Malcolm of MacBeth :eek:

I'll be following!

Bah, if you take Strathclyde you'll start the fatal progression to being a southern pansy :)

Only nine months to go...
Or so, I thought when I found that my new wife Swannoc was with child. The rest of 1067 passed rather quietly for the Duchy, for I was wrapped up in the impending possibility of a heir to my dynasty. As the new year approached, I felt that a few changes in the court would be worthwhile.
In the first few days of the new year, my Marshal, who was fortunate to have an ecclesiastical education, was appointed Bishop. This would hopefully keep Rome out of my hair. My sister's husband, Aedh took up the post of Marshal, although some would say he'd have a tough time fighting his way out of a paper bag...but it was a small court (and I would have never heard the end of it from sis had I not :) ).
1068-Courtof1068.jpg

With a sister that cunning, only SpyMaster would do to keep her quiet for now.
However, my real coup came with the new appointment of Robert Randolph to Steward - this man knew how to keep gold flowing to my coffers.

Second time lucky perhaps...
Ah yes, the money was flowing into the realm nicely. But there was a dark sky on the horizon, for on May 18 my future heir was no more.
1068May18-WifeAndChildDiedinLabour.jpg

It had been lost in childbirth, and Swannoc had also passed on.
The day had be marred with tragedy, but I knew that without another wife, the line would die with me. Perhaps a lady from a more powerful liege would be of better stock.
1068May18-MarraigeProposal.jpg

With this in mind, I asked the Svend Estridson, the King of Denmark for the hand of his courtier, Agnes Banner. And on June 5, I had a new wife, and naturally, taken duty for the marriage. With the money gained, I was able to start construction on the Forest in Moray. And as luck would have it, by October 26, my new wife was with child.

Bad luck with the child.

1069 - An auspicious year indeed
The year started out well, and would only get better. Randolph was helping me rake in about 6 coins a month, but I still had my sister as SpyMaster with her numbskull of a husband in charge of the army. There had to be someway for me to entice more courtiers to Moray....
1069-Courtof1069.jpg

As a reward for performing her kingly duties, I made my new wife Chancellor. For one thing, it would improve relations with the Danes.
One of the first things that Agnes did was suggest sending off one of Gruaidh's children as a fosterling in a foreign court.
1069Feb15-SendNephewAngus.jpg

And thus on February 15, to try and cozy up to the southerners I sent my nephew off to the County of Angus.

It really wasn't until July things began to get even better.
1069July3-FindlayBorn.jpg

On the third day of the month, the heir to my line was born - Findlay. Within months, things were back to normal. On September 23, Agnes was again with child.

Ahh, a son. Good, very important. No point winning a kingdom if you don't have a son to pass it on to.

watching this!