• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fifty years old, and still no peace...

On day one of the new year I received word that peace had been reached with Orkney, Lappland and Sudovia.
By the end of the week, the Bishop of Deir had declared war on the kingdom. I was beginning to wonder if there were any vassals that were still loyal to me.

As for my new Duchess, she was in a bit of bother on the twelfth, as Maldoven Loarn, the ten year old Count of Berwick had declared war. I would not let my wife's realm fall to this little upstart, so I declared war on Berwick. My regiment that was heading to Atholl were rerouted to Berwick.

Two days later saw the end of an era – since 1132, the Archbishop of Canterbury was part of Scotland – alas, no more. The peace agreement had been signed, and now the Archbishop was on his own. I couldn't decide if this was a good fiftieth birthday present or not...

1199Jan15-NewSpymaster.jpg
Meanwhile, I appointed a new spy master, Raoulf de Provence, and rallied seven thousand men in Fife. The Fife army would head to Berwick too.
Later that month, however, we had good news on the Welsh campaign, our armies defeating Deheubarth's men who had come to stop our siege.

1199Feb7-LiberatedGlam.jpg
It was not too much longer before we had Glamorgan under Scottish control on the seventh of February. I offered the Duke a chance at peace – he would recognise that I was the rightful owner of both the counties of Fife and Lothian, and become a vassal of mine. Daffyd agreed to the deal, and the Duchy of Deheubarth was now part of Scotland. The army that had won the siege disbanded.

1199Feb12-ToledoPleased.jpg
On another pleasing note, one of my larger vassals, the Duke of Toledo was pleased with my rule. As for my fight against the Duke of Galloway, I had lost almost seventy men in Galloway proper and had to high tail it to Carrick to regroup.

On the twenty third, the Fife army arrived in Berwick and engaged the Maldoven's forces. The Duke of Galloway offered peace, granting me Galloway proper – I did not need that county, I just wanted a loyal subject...so I rejected his offer.
Three days later in the Iberian part of the realm, the Duchess of Santiago again declared war. The standing army in Cuenca was no longer needed, so they disbanded. To counter the Duchess' forces, seven thousand men were assembled in El Bierzo – they would be led by Duncan onward to Santiago.
Day one of March, and the Count of Telemark declares war. Later that week, the Fife army is victorious in Berwick and the siege begins.
I was really starting to tire having to deal with these vassals declaring war. So on the fifteenth I offered the Bishop of Dier peace, granting his independence and recognising his claim. I offered the same peace deal to the Count of Telemark the following day.
Within a fortnight, both the Bishop and the Count were only to happy to sign for peace and leave the kingdom.

1199Mar28-BerwickLiberated.jpg
As for Berwick, that was another story...on the twenty eighth it was now under Scottish control. The following day I offered little Maldoven a deal – he could keep Berwick but would need to stay a vassal in the kingdom – he relented and agreed to terms. The Fife army marched onward to Cumberland, as the Atholl army marched through Lothian. They would now head to Galloway proper via Berwick.
Down south, Duncan's men had arrived in Santiago and were fighting the Duchess' forces.
Half a month later, the Duchess' forces had fled and Santiago was under siege.
As April came to a close, the Fife army arrived in Cumberland and besieged the fortifications there.
On May 12, Santiago was finally under Scottish control. I offered peace to Aunt Ada, on the proviso that she stay a vassal. I also warned her that if she wars against me again, I will not be so forgiving.
Later that week my Atholl army arrived in Galloway proper and fought his men, while the Fife army had already liberated Cumberland and were now on way to Galloway proper to help out.
The Duke could see the tide turning against him, and offered peace on the twenty ninth, parcelling me out both Galloway proper and Cumberland. I rejected his offer the next day, for we had beaten his men in Galloway proper and were now besieging the area.

1199June16-RevoltFife.jpg
Back in the county of Fife, word had got round to the local populace that my counties in Iberia were still not fully converted to Christianity. The local clergy stirred them up and before long it looked like I might have a revolt on my hands. Thankfully though, there were not enough upset locals to begin a rebellion.

1199June20-GallowayLib.jpg
Finally, four days later on the twentieth of June, our forces had turned Galloway proper over to Scottish control. I offered the Duke peace, letting him keep his already existing titles and making him stay a loyal vassal to Scotland. Dejected, he signed the peace accord. My three standing armies, Duncan's in Santiago and both Fife and Atholl armies in Galloway are disbanded.

In the middle of July, I decide it is time to deal with Osel. First, to keep my vassals still loyal, I cut scutage by five ducats – hoping in vain this will be enough. I then raised an army of eleven thousand men, who set sail for Adger. My marshal Duncan would lead them in this fight. The plan was that they would first get to Adger, then to Kurs and finally, Osel.

In August, I offered the Duke of Deheubarth's neighbour, the Duke of Gwynnedd the chance to become a vassal in my kingdom. Unfortunately, he was fine being independent.

As November came to a close, the use of reinforced leather spread to El Bierzo, and my friend the Duke of Toledo was again pleased with my rule.

1199Dec21-ElayneSpymaster.jpg
On December 17, my sixteen year old daughter Elayne, had graduated from the monastery as a master theologian. Being a girl, she would not be allowed to take on the still unfilled role of Diocese Bishop for the kingdom. However, she showed enough nous that I made her the new spy master.

Must necome monotonous after a while, huh?

And like that...he is gone*

On the twentieth of January 1200, Duncan and his army made landfall in Adger. Again they shipped out, this time to Kurs at a cost of two hundred and fifteen ducats.
At the month's end, I decided not to call the Estates General, even though our debt was now well over two thousand ducats.

1200Mar5-CastleFinLothian.jpg
On the first week of March, the new castle in Lothian was finished. Hopefully, I would be able to keep it maintained longer than the last one. Again, my pal in Toledo was pleased with my rule.

1200Mar18-VassalChgLaw.jpg
On the eighteenth, another vassal changed their laws to match mine – that would hopefully mean their loyalty is assured. As for my most disloyal vassal, the Count of Osel – his forces had made landfall in Moray and were besieging its fortifications. It was a full ten days before I rallied about six thousand locals to defend their homes.

1200Apr12-VictoryMoray.jpg
Practically a fortnight of battle, and we had sent Osel's men on their way. I told the army to stay ready in the town just in case Osel and his men came back.
As for my own forces already on way to take Osel back...they made landfall in Kurs on July 5. It would cost another eighty ducats or so to send them on the final leg to Osel, which would take two months.
Meanwhile in Atholl, the use of a new weapon known as a pike was starting to be used in training.

1200Sep26-LiberateOsel.jpg
About two weeks after landfall in Osel, Duncan and his army had laid siege to the fort and taken control. I offered peace to the Count, letting him keep Osel, but demanding he stay a loyal vassal.
He agreed to the arrangement, and Scotland was no longer at war with anyone. I disbanded the armies in Osel and Moray.

1200Oct6-WestIsleRqVassalOK.jpg
Now that the kingdom was peaceful, Hemming Count of The Western Isles thought it was a good time to ask to rejoin the kingdom. I was more than happy to welcome him back into the fold of our Scottish realm. The Western Isles rejoined Scotland on October 6.

1200Oct20-BrokeSellLibaryCuenca.jpg
Unfortunately, later in the month we still owed a chunk of money – so I sold the library and its books in Cuenca, netting a miserly sum of seventy five ducats. It was a start, at least...

1200Nov11-DealRevoltFife.jpg
In November, there were still local issues to take care of – Fife was still simmering away, waiting for something to set off a rebellion. I decided to nip it in the bud and hang some traitors, who coincidentally were ringleaders in the rebellion movement.

1200Nov15-ElayneGroom.jpg
My young daughter and spy master was still unmarried, but not for long. One of my capable generals, Raoulf de Provence would make a suitable groom. Not only that, his mother was a distant relative of the royal bloodline.

1200Nov15-MarriedTakeDuty.jpg
On the fifteenth, Elayne married Raoulf de Provence and I took a royal duty for her marriage, netting seventeen hundred ducats. I was now a mere thousand ducats in the red. Unfortunately, the wedding stressed out Elayne a tad.

On the ninth day of January 1201, I changed our researching focus from weapons that crush to weapons that slash.
During July, Cuenca finally recovered from being looted many moons ago.

1201Jul25-WarHungary.jpg
And on the twenty fifth, I declared war on Hungary. Not that I relished the thought of warring again, but I was more supporting my most loyal of vassals – the Duke of Toledo. He in turn, was supporting the actions of his own vassal, Montpellier.
Now that I was again at war, it was imperative that it not be a long war. I raised eight thousand men in El Bierzo – led by Edgar they were to march to Asturias de Oviedio, which was owned by Ireland. In Vas, I mobilised just over one and a half thousand men who would be led by their ruler Aleksander towards Esztergom – where the Hungarian crown lay.
Back on the mainland, I raised four thousand men in Fife who were on the march to Atholl. Led by Raoulf, they would meet myself and the eleven thousand men I called to arms there.
Four days later, I assembled an army of five thousand men from the Duke of Lithuania in Pereyaslavl. His own marshal, Manfred led them in their march to Peresechen.

By the third week of August, our armies had arrived and were besieging both Esztergom and Peresechen. Edgar's army had made it to Asturias de Oviedio, and had now turned towards Burgos, owned by Hungary.
Meanwhile, Raoulf's army had arrived in Atholl. We shipped out together to Adger, at a cost of just over a quarter thousand ducats.

1201Sep9-DeathOldAge.jpg

Historian's Note:
On September 9, 1201 King John of Scotland, Norway and Leon died. He was aged fifty four years and ruled as King of Scotland and Norway from June 6, 1180. John ruled as King of Scotland, Norway and Leon from February 7, 1194 until his death.

*With apologies to the writers of The Usual Suspects.

Oh, and sorry for not checking up on this for a while.

RIP John. Who's next?

The reign of Malcolm IV (The Good)

On September 9, my grandfather, King John of Scotland, Norway and Leon died peacefully in his sleep. He had lived long enough to see me crowned as the King of England a mere four years ago.

1201Sep9-DeathOldAge.jpg

John's remains were bound for Iona, while I inherited his titles. I was now proclaimed as King Malcolm IV of Scotland, Norway, Leon and England. For the moment, I decided that the royal seal would still be that of my grandfather's.

I was introduced to Seanair John not long after I had been granted the title of Duke of Moray after my father's murder. Being only six, I looked up to the wiser and more worldly man that he was.
At the time, it was whispered that my father's murder was a revenge attack for the killings of much of the Swedish royal family. Sweden was under the impression that Seanair John was not only aware of the assassination attempts on the royal family, but in most cases had planned them to precision.

Within a fortnight, I was granted new titles by my grandfather, King John. Even though I was now known as the Grand Duke of Moray, Valencia and Toulouse – I was still too young to know what to do with this new found power. I put my trust in advisors, whom I assured in time that they would be rewarded for guiding me through my early years.

Before long, there was a Christendom wide blood feud between the Houses of Loarn and Sverkatten. Before I knew it, many relatives of mine in both houses had been murdered, each house blaming each other for the bloodbath. My cousin Silvester de Normandie, heir to the English throne was found murdered. Both uncles Ruadri and Angus had also been disposed of.

I was now the heir to the Seanair John's kingdoms and Grandfather Alexander's kingdom too. The best thing for me to do now was hide and hope to escape the assassins that were plaguing the royal courts of Sweden, Scotland and England. Off to distant relatives in France, who had somehow been missed by the knives of assassins. They were sworn to secrecy on pain of death.

Then the seemingly impossible happened in 1197 – my Norman grandfather, Alexander de Normandie – the King of England died at age 45, and I inherited his kingdom.

So then it was, that at almost age nine I had to come out of hiding in France to become the new King of England. My new vassals looked suitably displeased when I was crowned as their king. The combined Loarn dynasty now ruled over most of ancient Albion and Britannia.

Seanair John was also at my crowning, where he told me what I already knew. Now I had my own kingdom to rule, it would not look right taking advice from another king. As a coronation gift though, my grandfather had left me suitable advisors. These capable men and women would help me keep hold of the English throne during my youth.

My new advisors suggested the most sensible thing to do first was conclude a peace with Umiya, the Emir of Badajoz. A hasty peace signed handed over the county of Bedford to the Emir. I decided the best course of action was to sit tight until I was older and more learned, while I let my advisors keep my kingdom out of trouble.

By age thirteen, the world had changed dramatically. Seanair John had died and I had now inherited his kingdoms too. Both my grandfathers had left me in charge of a realm which seemed almost too big to manage. It was time to step up to the throne and become the man I am supposed to be. My first action was to disband the army that was about to head out to Adger, in Scandinavia. I also had a war with the King of Hungary to deal with.

1201Sep9-NewChancellor.jpg

My mother suggested that she would represent my kingdom and rule well in the world of international politics. I could hardly disagree with her, and thus made her the new chancellor.

1201Sep9-NewSpymaster.jpg

Next, I set about the appointment of sage and capable advisors. Aunt Elayne seemed more than capable of taking on the role of spy master for my kingdom.

1201Sep9-NewSteward.jpg

Euphrosine de Joigny, the wife of Duncan Loarn, from the Gruaidh Loarn line seemed to have the Midas touch and her ability to make money was well renowned. I'd have been crazy not to make her the steward of my kingdom.

1201Sep9-NewMarshal.jpg

Meanwhile, the relative unknown Edgar of Osel had risen through the ranks of our elite armies and would make a capable marshal of the kingdom's forces.

1201Sep9-NewBishop.jpg

I also made the theological scholar, Malise Berkeley take on the duty of the bishop of the kingdom's diocese.

1201Sep10-DijonNEssex.jpg

On September 10, it was made known to me that it would be practically impossible to manage the affairs of all the lands I had direct control of. I would have to grant at least the six titles away to members of the court. Obvious candidates for titles were of course, of the Loarn dynastic line – thus I made Ausonia Loarn (1134-) the new Countess of Dijon. Both Aed (1157-) and Flaithri (115:cool: were men of the cloth, so I appointed them as new bishops. Aed would look after Cuenca, while Flaithri took care of Chalons.

1201Sep10-MaineVaster.jpg

As for the former queen, my grandmother who was now known as the Duchess of Lothian – I gave her the title of Essex. Next in line were former advisors who helped me while I was ruling only England. Juliana (1175-) who used to be the steward was made the new Countess of Maine, and Sibylla (115:cool: the former spy master was granted Vastergotland.

The fiefs now under my direct control were – Moray, Atholl, Fife, Lothian, Norfolk, Suffolk, Bordeaux and El Bierzo. Having Norfolk and Suffolk would allow me to be close to English based nobles, while having Bordeaux would allow me to keep a stronghold in the south of France. The possession of El Bierzo would also allow me to stay aware of trouble in the Iberian.

1201Sep14-NorthumbyVassalOK.jpg

Not even a week had passed, and the Duke of Northumberland offered to become a vassal in my kingdom – which I accepted. With Northumberland as part of the kingdom, I was in charge of the land all the way from Caithness to Kent.

1201Sep22-PeresLib.jpg

September 22 saw the first real victory over the forces of the Hungarian King. We had liberated Peresechen and our men were on the march to Severin.

1201Oct15-WarSudanEtc.jpg

In the middle of October, I unfortunately wound up in a war even further away than Hungary. Berwick and Albany had got into a pickle in Africa of all places, and as the king it was my duty to bail them out. We were now at war with Sudan and Medina.

Meanwhile, on the Hungarian campaign – Edgar's army had begun their siege of Burgos. In Esztergom, Aleksander's army moved on to Pecs – for the larger army of another of Hungary's enemies – Orava had taken over the siege.

1201Nov10-BurgosLib.jpg

As November began, Manfred's army arrived in Severin and besieged their fortifications. On the tenth, Edgar's army had taken control of Burgos. Four days later, Aleksander's army were besieging Pecs.

1201Nov18-YorkWar.jpg

With my armies busy in Hungary, the Count of York took the opportunity to declare war on me! I would deal with him later.

1201Dec5-SeverinLib.jpg

On December 5, Manfred's army had taken control of Severin and were marching onto Pronsk.

1201Dec10-PeaceDealHungary.jpg

I really wanted to deal with York at home, so I offered Hungary a peace deal, asking that he hand the Count of Burgos title to the Duke of Toledo. It was declined on Christmas Day.

Meanwhile, to cover the ongoing cost of war I sold the Norfolk library for seventy five ducats and a thieves' guild appeared in El Bierzo.

On Christmas eve, Sudan offered a white peace, which I accepted – ending our African war.
The day after Christmas, Norfolk was under siege by York's forces. 1700 men were rallied in the local area and led by Raoulf to defend the fief. To try to counter the attack, I raised 1800 men in Suffolk – led by Duncan they were now on way to Norfolk to help Raoulf's army.
I then organised for Bernard to lead 4700 men from Lothian onto York proper – that would deal with it once and for all.

1201Dec28-PeaceYorkOK.jpg

Two days later, York came begging for peace as he was outmanoeuvred and outnumbered. With peace signed, I sent my mainland armies home.

Hungary eyes...

And thus began the year 1202. My first duty on this new year's day was to expand my influence in Scandinavia, proclaiming myself to be the new Duke of Skane.

1202Jan21-GoodRiddance.jpg

As I was still very young, some courtiers thought I may be a pushover. The Marshall of our forces was proved wrong when I would not succumb to his demands for compensation. There were plenty of other nobles who could lead my armies, so I sent him packing.

1202Jan21-NewMarshall.jpg

The same day, I appointed a suitably qualified noble by the name of Robert Fitzpatrick to be the new Marshall.

1202Jan28-WarGalloway.jpg

This however, did not please my vassal, Louis Loarn, Duke of Galloway who promptly declared war. Louis Loarn (1168 -) is the son of Thierry Loarn (1148 - 1198), Duke of Galloway and sixth son of King Aed.
My newest vassal, Guy de Bourgogne, Duke of Northumberland also joined the war on Galloway's side as they were allies.

On February 1, I assembled a small army of almost three thousand men in Lothian, under the leadership of my new Marshall, they marched towards the fief of Galloway, the only area under direct rule of Louis.
Meanwhile, far away in eastern Europe, the army led by Commander Manfred arrived in Pronsk on March 19, and had begun siege.

1202Mar25-PecsLiberated.jpg

To the south east, Commander Aleksander's army had liberated Pecs from the Hungarians by March 25. No time to taste sweet victory, Severin was under siege by the Hungarian King's forces. Onward Aleksander and his men marched to Severin.

1202Apr5-CommanderWounded.jpg

Bad news from the home front on April 5, Marshall Fitzpatrick fighting bravely on the field, and getting severely wounded for his trouble.

1202Apr12-WarToDeath.jpg

April 9 and I was now fourteen years. Would the resentment of my rise to power continue? I could see it in they eyes of my fellow nobles – it seemed I was the only one who felt that I had the right to be king. It was time to make a stand and be recognised as someone not to be trifled with. How could I deal with petty squabbles with my vassals if I could not have victory over the Hungarian King? The war with Samuel had now become personal – it would be a war to the death. There was one other thing...a war to the death meant I now had a claim to be the King of Hungary!

On April 21, Marshall Fitzpatrick and his men had defeated Galloway's forces and began the siege of his land.

1202Apr27-PereschenLost.jpg

On April 27, Hungarian forces overran Pereschen, returning it to Hungarian rule. Would this be the beginning of a turnaround for Samuel's forces? Not if I could help it. Time for my armies in southern France to come to my aid. In Bordeaux, almost four thousand men were assembled, led by Commander Raoulf they were now on the march to Lyon.
I recruited two thousand more in Chalons, another two thousand in Dijon and twenty six hundred in Lyon – they were now on the march to Vas, via St Gallen.

The next day, Galloway offered peace giving up his land and just over a hundred ducats. I refused the offer for I wanted to keep him as my subject.

1202Apr30-PronskLiberated.jpg

April 30 and Commander Manfred's army had liberated Pronsk from Hungary. They marched onward to Orava.

1202May7-Defeat.jpg

A week later, Commander Aleksander and his men were defeated in the Battle of Severin, retreating to Belgrade.

On June 13, we were again victorious against Galloway's forces that had tried to stop our siege.
Somehow, word of my good treatment of fosterlings got back to the church. Rome was said to be pleased.

1202Jul10-VassalChangesLaws.jpg

On July 10, it seemed as though my relations with vassals was improving, with one changing his laws to match mine. Meanwhile, Aleksander's army in Belgrade heads back to Severin to continue the fight.

1202Jul28-PecsLost.jpg

As July came to an end, Pecs had been lost to Samuel's forces. Hopefully the same fate would not befall Severin.

1202Aug3-FosterlingOK.jpg

On August 3, Duncan, Duke of Albany requested that I take his young daughter Margaret as a fosterling in the court. I agreed to his request. Hopefully I was now being seen as a capable king.

August 6, and Aleksander's army had been routed again, retreating back towards Belgrade. They would have to wait in Belgrade until my French regiments are in Hungary.

1202Aug11-SeverinLost.jpg

Five days later, Samuel had regained control of Severin. I could only hope my regiments would arrive in Hungarian lands soon.

1202Aug17-PersonalRivalry.jpg

My spymaster had discovered that Samuel was good friends with the Count of Cagliari and suggested I make him my enemy too. I had no issue with Cagliari, this was a personal rivalry between myself and Samuel.

On August 22, Commander Manfred's army arrived in Orava and began its siege.

1202Aug23-GallowayLiberated.jpg

The next day, back home, we had taken control of Galloway proper and could demand peace from him.
I offered peace to both Dukes – Galloway and Northumberland, letting them keep their titles as long as they remain my vassal. Louis agreed to peace that day.

On the first day in September, Aleksander and his spent forces had arrived in Belgrade. Commander Raoulf's forces from Bordeaux had arrived in Lyon and began their trek towards St Gallen.

Finally, on September 9, Guy had decided against the peace proposal. Marshall Fitzpatrick's forces, still in Galloway proper began marching towards Northumberland. I rallied another army of nineteen hundred men in Fife, led by Commander Bernard they marched toward Northumberland too.

1202Sep23-VassalPleased.jpg

September 23 and I had heard whispers that another of my vassals was pleased with my fair and wise rule.

1202Sep25-IllnessMarshall.jpg

A couple of days later, I received word that the wound Marshall Fitzpatrick had got in the Battle of Galloway became worse. However, he assured me he could still lead our forces into battle.

On October 7, the regiment from Chalons arrived in Vas and then marched onward to Esztergom. As for Commander Aleksander's army – they marched back towards Severin.

1202Oct12-OravaLiberated.jpg

Almost a week had gone by and Commander Manfred's army had taken control of Orava on October 12. The army was still on a high from the victory, so they continued onto Pereschen.
Then, on October 17, the regiments from Dijon and Lyon had arrived in Vas. Instead of joining the Chalons regiment in Esztergom, I commanded that they head to take back Pecs from Samuel.

Meanwhile, back home the Duke of Albany seemed pleased with my rule. Marshall Fitzpatrick's army arrived in Northumberland and fought the enemy there.
And at the end of the month, Commander Bernard's army arrived in Northumberland from Fife, fighting alongside Marshall Fitzpatrick's army. As for the Chalons regiment, they had arrived in Esztergom and began a siege.

1202Nov5-CommanderDiesBattle.jpg

November 5 saw the valiant death of Marshall Fitzpatrick in battle, which shocked the whole army, sending their morale spiralling down. Within two weeks both armies in Northumberland had been defeated and dragged their sorry carcasses to Berwick to regroup.
I appointed Raoulf de Provence, who was commanding the army from Bordeaux as the new Marshall.

Better news however for my forces in the Hungarian war effort, as both regiments from Dijon and Lyon arrived in Pecs and began a siege on November 8.
Commander Manfred and his men arrived in Pereschen and began their siege on the third of December. Raoulf's army from Bordeaux arrived in St Gallen the next day, and marched onwards to Vas.

On December 24, our retreating armies arrived in Berwick. In Carrick, I directly recruited a small army of thirteen hundred, led by Geraint who marched on Northumberland.
On December 25, I layed claim to Burgos, on the Iberian, which was owned by Samuel, King of Hungary.

1202Dec30-PecsLiberated.jpg

As the year drew to a close, Pecs was finally back under my rule. The Dijon regiment was sent to Esztergom, while the regiment from Lyon was sent to Severin.

The new King of Hungary

On the third day of the new year, 1203 – The Sheik of Badajoz declared independence from my vassal, the Duke of Toledo. Later that day, the Duke of Northumberland offered me seventeen hundred ducats for peace, which I of course refused...
On January 21, Samuel, King of Hungary makes peace with the Duke of Toledo, ceding Burgos, which I still have a claim to, but at least it's still part of my realm.
The next day, my army from Dijon arrived in Esztergom to help our other armies besieging it.

1203Feb2-PeresLib.jpg
On the second day in February, Pereschen is liberated by Commander Manfred and his forces. Meanwhile, back on the mainland, Geraint and his army pass thru Berwick. The standing army in Berwick follows Geraint and his army onto Northumberland. They arrive on the twelfth.

1203Feb14-EszLib.jpg
On St Valentine's Day, the siege of Esztergom is over and it is now under my rule. That only leaves Severin under Hungarian control.
As February comes to a close, the Duke of Northumberland's men flee the battlefield and the siege of Northumberland begins.

1203Mar9-SevLib.jpg
March 9 and the final piece of the puzzle was in place – Severin had been finally released from Samuel's grip. The next day I offered peace to Hungary. It was a simple arrangement – I would become the King of Hungary. Samuel Arpad accepted the heavy burden and handed over the crown.
Samuel would now be known as the Duke of Wallachia, and be independent from my kingdom. I offered him the chance to become my vassal, which of course he flatly refused. You could hardly blame him – he'd just lost his kingdom!

1203Mar15-NewArchVaster.jpg
I appointed Rainuff, Bishop of Viken to be the Archbishop of Vasterbotten on the Ides of March, and sent the armies that participated in the Scot-Magyar War home.
It was time to finish the war with the Emirate of Medina. I directly recruited seven thousand men in Palmyra, a sub vassal. Led by Manfred, their destination was Medina.

Five days later, Louis, Duke of Galloway was at it again, declaring war on March 20. Thankfully, no allies came to his aid. I rallied almost five thousand men in Moray, led by Marshal Raoulf they were on way to Galloway proper to deal with Louis and his army.

I sent missives off to both the Count of York and Archbishop of Canterbury offering them my protection. Within days, the Count of York refused my offer.

1203Mar29-NewDukeHereford.jpg
On March 29, I granted the Duke of Hereford to the Count of Shrewsbury.

On April 6, I finally had word from the Archbishop regarding my offer of protection – it was not taken up. Subsequent offers to not only the Count of Jaca, but also the Duke of Flanders were also turned down.

On the eighteenth, Guy's army arrived back in Northumberland, and disrupted our besieging forces. The defeat sent them retreating to Berwick.
A day later, Geraint's army arrives in Northumberland and battled with Guy's forces. Within a week, they too were defeated and heading back to Berwick.
Surprisingly, the Duke of Northumberland offers almost seventeen hundred ducats for peace. After much deliberation, I signed the peace accord. The Duchy of Northumberland was again independent. Meanwhile it would be a whole month before my retreating armies arrive in Berwick. Once in Berwick, they marched onward to Galloway proper.

1203May18-PayEducate.jpg
On May 18, a well travelled plotter and schemer arrived in court and offered to teach me what he knows, as long as he was well paid. That sort of knowledge would come in quite handy when I'm older, so I offered him a place in court and a year's income, just over five thousand ducats.

On the first day of June, Commander Manfred and his army arrived in Medina and began their march toward Mecca, currently under Medinan rule.

1203Jun3-NewDuchessTuluse.jpg
On June 3, I appointed a new Duchess of Toulouse. It was the aging and pious Affraic Loarn, Countess of Lyon. Meanwhile, out far east in Don Portage, I directly recruited almost three thousand men for my forces. Led by a local named Godfrey, they were to march onto Mordva, another land owned by the Emirate of Medina.

1203Jun14-TrytoMaintain.jpg
On June 14, out of nowhere I had to try and raise three hundred ducats to maintain the state of the realm. The war effort now had the state at almost three thousand ducats owing to various lenders around Christendom. Whilst, down in Arabia, Commander Manfred's army had arrived in Mecca and began their siege.

1203Jun17-SellWharfBordox.jpg
Three days later, the steward advised me that it would be prudent to try and pay off some of our war debt. First on the list of sales was the wharf in Bordeaux, which sold for a miserly sum of only seventy five ducats.

On June 23, Commander Godfrey and his army arrives in Mordva and begins his siege. On the mainland, the armies on way from Berwick arrive in Galloway to fight Louis' forces.
June 26 saw the beginning of a new crusade, the Pope calling for the liberation of Jerusalem.

1203Jul3-NewDukeLivonia.jpg
On the third day in July, I appointed Renaud Loarn, the Count of Aland as the new Duke of Livonia.
On the next day, our armies fighting in Galloway proper are defeated, retreating again to Berwick!

1203Jul6-MeccaLib.jpg
On July 6, Commander Manfred and his army took control of Mecca. Personally, I was not concerned about gaining any land in Arabia, as it was just too far from home. So after a fortnight, I offered the Emir of Medina peace, recognising him as the rightful owner of Mecca. The accord was signed within the week.

1203Aug4-NewDukeOxford.jpg
On August 4, I made the young ten year old Count of Northampton, John Loarn the new Duke of Oxford. The same day, Marshal Raoulf and his army are finally victorious against the Duke of Northumberland's army and the siege of Northumberland begins.

1203Sep19-RaoulfWounded.jpg
During the first week of September, I had word again that the Duke of Albany was pleased with my rule. While I was pleased to hear it, it wasn't really any help to the war effort against Louis. Neither was Marshal Raoulf getting severely wounded in the battlefield a week later.

1203Sep24-GallowayLib.jpg
Raoulf's ability to fight on, regardless of his wound encouraged the rest of the army to really take it to the remaining forces holding out against the siege, and on the 24th of September, Galloway proper was under our control.
The next day, I offered Louis a chance for peace. He could continue on as the Count of Galloway, but lose his title as the Duke. Not only that, he would still swear fealty to me as his ruler. The accord was signed, and we were no longer at war.

1203Sep29-NewDukeGalloway.jpg
Later that week I had a meeting with Hugues Loarn, Count of Cumberland. His inheritance as Duke of Galloway had been lost due to his father's stupidity. I decided that he should not be made to pay for his father's wars, and granted him the title Duke of Galloway on September 29.

1203Oct20-NewArchbishopValencia.jpg
October 20, and I had decided to make Bishop Aed Loarn of Cuenca an archbishop. Aed would be responsible for the Archbishopric of Valencia. With Aed now an archbishop, I practically had thirty dukes as vassals!

1203Oct25-DealRevoltFife.jpg
Five days later, there was open rebellion in the town square at Fife. I ordered the hanging of traitors to kill the rebellion – this was seen in quite a favourable light by my peers, increasing my worldly prestige.

1203Nov24-NitraVassalOK.jpg
On November 24, Condlae, the Count of Nitra arrived in my court, requesting that he become part of my realm. I agreed to his request, hoping that his extra influence may help my newly acquired Hungarian vassals stay in line.

1203Dec27-DontCallEstates.jpg
As the year came to a close, I was asked to call in the Estates General to help pay off sovereign debts. I advised my steward that this was not necessary, increasing the stability of the realm and my worldly prestige.

Debt and the new Countess of York

1204Mar27-BrokeSellFishryNorfolk.jpg
Now that the kingdom was at peace, taxes across the realm were almost bringing in a hundred ducats a month. Unfortunately, the dough was just not coming in quick enough for some of our creditors. At the end of march, the time had come to sell the fishing wharf in Norfolk. At seventy five ducats, it didn't fetch much, but at least the debt was decreasing.

1204Apr18-ComeofAge.jpg
On April 9, I turned sixteen. We had a large feast lain out for my coming of age, and a few days later my official portrait had been painted by a local artisan. It was at this point I began thinking about how best to consolidate my position in Albion.

My first real order of business was in May, when I offered protection to my Welsh neighbours – The Count of Gwent and Duke of Gwynnedd. Both offers were turned down in less than a week. Perhaps it was just something with the Welsh leaders, so I turned my eye across the seas. Two nobles that had been independent for some time were the Count of Westfriesland and the Duke of Gelre. Again, unfortunately my offers of protection were rebuffed.

1204Jun13-WenchRefuseImpulse.jpg
The middle of June saw a new invention spread in the capital, that of iron-edged wood ploughs. My presence was requested for a demonstration. Locals whispered in quiet as they watched fields being ploughed in half the time they would be normally. Out of the corner of my eye, while watching this amazing feat I spotted a pretty young wench in the throng of people. Although I was now of age, would succumbing to her wiles be seen right in the eyes of Rome? My first instinct was to consult with the Diocese Bishop. His response was not polite to say the least, suggesting that perhaps the future inheritor of the realm would be a bastard! I was not willing to bring the Loarn dynasty into such disrepute, so I decided to just stay quiet.
Later that week, dispatches reliably informed me that the Duke of Iceland was pleased with the way that I was ruling my realm.

1204Aug6-ResettleElBierzo.jpg
During the first week of August, I initiated changes in our directions of research, focusing on castles instead of slash weapons. Meanwhile, new lands were cleared and settled in El Bierzo, on the Iberian.

1204Aug11-NoSupportToToledo.jpg
On August 11, the Duke of Toledo declared war on a count near Egypt, the Count of Pelusia. Apparently it all began with the Count of Montpellier, who claimed to be the rightful owner of Pelusia. Since Montpellier is a vassal of the Duke of Toledo, it was natural to come to Montpellier's aid. I was not going into another war that far away – surely the Duke could deal with one small county near Egypt.

During September, the Duke of Iceland again regaled me with tales of how impressed he was with my rule. With such nice words from Iceland, I felt the time was right to ask the Duke of Orkney to become my vassal. Unfortunately, the Duke of Orkney felt he would survive just fine on his own.

As November came to a close, peasants had begun using the new iron-edged ploughs in Fife. The lords made their peasants work harder, and a revolt ensued.

On the first of December, it was time to put down the revolt in Fife. I rallied eight thousand men in Atholl and led them towards Fife.

1204Dec23-FormerQueenDies.jpg
On December 23, my mother passed away. The former queen was the Duchess of Lothian, Countess of Essex and Strathclyde. Naturally on her passing, I inherited her titles. A week later, a new weapon known as a pike began being used in training grounds at Fife.

1205Jan8-VictoryRebelsFife.jpg
On the first day of 1205, we arrived in Fife. It looked as though our eight thousand strong force would easily defeat the rebels. Within a week, all one hundred rebels had been routed, and my army was sent home.

1205Feb1-EmptyCoffersTryMaintain.jpg
As February rolled around, I owed just under seven hundred ducats to our creditors, but trying to maintain the stability of the realm while under such strains did not play well on the world stage. It was said not to be prestigious to be in debt.
Later that month, I offered protection to independent rulers in Scandinavia – the Duke of Esthonia, as well as the two Counts of Vasterbotten and Lappland. Not one ruler took up the offer to become my vassal!

1205Feb20-WarYork.jpg
On the twentieth of February, the thieves' guild in Moray was finally disbanded. The Duke of Toledo was pleased with my rule, while the Count of York declared war on the Duke of Lithuania.
While the Colban, Count of York was of the Loarn dynasty, the Duke of Lithuania was under my protection. Choosing whom to support was no contest, and I came into the war supporting Lithuania.

As both Norfolk and Suffolk were in my demense and so close to York, the sensible thing to do was to raise some armies there instead of my military powerhouse in Atholl. Five thousand men from Suffolk, led by a local by the name of Mathonwy were now on way to York. As for me, I had raised four and a half thousand in Norfolk and leading them to York also.

In three short weeks, both armies had arrived in York and we were fighting the Count. About a week later, on March 19 we had defeated York's men and begun siege.

1205Apr15-LostRegiment.jpg
Unfortunately, it was not such a grand idea to be at war and be in so much debt. By April 15, we had enough funds to support the army I was commanding in York, but none were left for Manthonwy and his men. I had no choice to disband his army.

1205Jun17-ChancellorIll.jpg
June 17 and Chancellor Catherine came down with a cold. I consulted our physicians, who could only come up with the fact she had an illness. This was of course, no help. Catherine assured me that she still felt capable of performing her royal duties.

1205Jun20-YorkLib.jpg
On June 20, my army and I were victorious. I personally raised the flag bearing my coat of arms over the fortifications and thanked my men for a job well done. I penned a peace deal that the Colban would have no choice but to sign. I would recognise his title as the Count of York and he would become my vassal, which of course he accepted. I sent my victorious army back home.
My recent actions had been seen agreeable by most of my vassals, however the Duke of Toledo seemed particularly pleased with the way I was handling things.

1205Aug4-MisguidedWarrior.jpg
On August 4, I finally finished my all of the schooling I would ever need. A local fortune-teller predicted that I would become a misguided warrior. Bah! What would a fortune-teller know anyway...
As the month continued, the wars that Colban had got into while away from Scottish protection were still going. Even though he was at peace with me, war still existed between the Sheikdom of Tir Connail, Sheikdom of Beersheeb and the King of Egypt. The tide was turning against Colban, for it looked as though York would be overrun by Egyptian forces.

1205Aug21-RevokeYorkAgreed.jpg
On August 15, Colban requested a meeting to discuss his perilous situation. His title had been in the Loarn dynasty since 1156. Colban had inherited the title in 1163, when his father had died. And now, it looked like it would be in the hands of the heathens from Egypt. I called in my spy master, and asked for suggestions of how to get Colban out of his pickle without going to war. After much thought, he suggested that I take Colban's title away from him. That way, there was no longer a county of York to be fighting against.
I discussed the idea with Colban, and assured him that after a week I would give him back his title for my demesne would be getting too big to keep control of. A week went by, before Colban arrived at the palace gates and handed me his title. I asked him to stay in my court, but he was adamant he needed to hide from the King of Egypt elsewhere.

1205Aug28-NewCountessYork.jpg
It was now one week since York had become part of my demesne, and it was becoming harder to efficiently collect tolls. Colban was still nowhere to be found, but I had to ditch York from my demesne. I decided to give York to Brandimena de Provence, who was childless and almost fifty.
Her heir was the Count of Dijon, one of my vassals in Western France. Even though not technically of the Loarn dynasty, she had four generations of royal blood from Gruaidh. Her mother was Ausonia Loarn (1134 – 1205). Ausonia's father being Pancrazio Loarn (1115 – 1166), son of Donald Loarn (1086 – 1140). Donald was the son of Angus Loarn (1064 – 1103), who was Gruaidh's son.

1205Aug29-NewArchbishopLothian.jpg
A day later, on August 29 I made Aimeric, bishop of Buchan the new Archbishop of Lothian.

1205Oct15-NewPope.jpg
On October 15, Pope Maslaw passed away. Archbishop Toikka from Sjaelland was voted in as Saint Peter's new living representative. Meanwhile, my vassal, Mahtar, Duke of Toledo became the papal controller.
Four days later, Chancellor Catherine had recovered from her illness. I asked the physicians to no avail, it astounded them as much as it did I.

1205Oct29-PainfulWoundMarshall.jpg
At the end of the month, Raoulf informed me that his severe wound had become infected. The physicians said he also had illness, but not the same as Catherine's was.

1205Nov5-NewBishopEssex.jpg
November 5, and I decided to again reduce the size of my demesne, giving Essex to the church. A local theologian, Mathonwy MacDonald – who had commanded the army from Suffolk that was disbanded in York would take on the role as bishop. This pleased the new papal controller.

Last edited:
The bastard and the wench...

Three months into 1206 and after a few judicious beheadings, the Thieves' Guild in El Bierzo finally disbanded. With war long over, money was finally flowing into the treasury coffers again. I began construction of a forestry in Moray, and by the end of April had ordered libraries to be built in both Lothian and Fife.

1206Apr30-ExileCourtier.jpg
Meanwhile, I decided to exile a courtier who thought that he would make a better spymaster.

During the next few months, the magic of glass-blowing spread to Atholl and construction of windmills began. Another library was ordered, this time for Norfolk – to be completed by June in 1207.

1206Aug21-NewMarshall.jpg
On August 21, Marshal Raoulf died of natural causes. I appointed the heretic, Aldred 'The Bastard' de Bourgogne as the new Marshal.

1206Aug26-DoadaProdigy.jpg
At the end of the week, cousin Doada began showing the traits of a prodigy.

Three months later, I had amassed enough wealth to begin rebuilding castles that had gone to rack and ruin to support war efforts of earlier years. I ordered a new Small Castle to be built at my outpost of El Bierzo on November 5.

As the month came to a close, the County of Carcassonne declared its independence from the Duchy of Toledo, starting a war with his former liege. Meanwhile, over in central Europe a war broke out between two of my vassals – the Duke of Transylvania and the Prince of Pereyaslavl. I had enough with expensive wars for the moment, leaving my vassals to sort it out amongst themselves.

1206Dec23-DepressedMarshall.jpg
By the year's end, Aldred 'The Bastard' was becoming very depressed. Even though he had now been elevated to Marshal, the church went out of their way to ensure that he would be seen in a bad light by his peers.

1207Jan11-BrotherWilliamDukeBedford.jpg
Eleven days into 1207 and I appointed my little brother, the Count of Hampshire as the new Duke of Bedford. That same day, I organised for Aldred 'The Bastard' to marry my spymaster, Elayne Loarn – hopefully this might lift his moods.

1207Jan22-SheiksDepartToledo.jpg
By January 22, the Muslim vassals of the Duke of Toledo had enough and joined their brothers from Carcassone in their war of independence. Mahtar, Duke of Toledo asked his ally, the Duke of Aragon to help him out. Within a week, Aragon had declared war on Montpellier. I was asked to join the war and stem the rebellions – I refused and was adamant that my treasury would be better spent rebuilding the state of the realm as opposed to fighting.

1207Jan27-DoadaCuzMatures.jpg
Later that week, cousin Doada had matured, becoming a very caring person. The next month the forestry in Moray was completed.

1207Mar3-RivalryPersonal.jpg
As the year dragged on, during March I confirmed that my rivalries were indeed personal rivalries and had no intention of making more enemies.

1207Apr3-BarstardsFrowned.jpg
At the beginning of April, the Pope decided to send an envoy to my court, stating the obvious, which I already knew – that they disapproved of Aldred 'The Bastard' being my marshal. Meanwhile in Suffolk, I ordered the construction of another small castle.

1207Apr20-EnemyOfEnemyFriendManage.jpg
Later on in the month, I reaffirmed my position not to make any more enemies, and also not to try to bring other nobles into my quarrels. I am perfectly able to deal with my own enemies without any help. With the money flowing in to the treasury from my vassals, I could afford to build a tile factory in the capital. The foundation works began on the second day of May.

1207May12-HallandClaim.jpg
Then, out of the blue a disloyal vassal was discovered. Elayne had moved swiftly on the information and I now had a claim to the Count of Halland.

1207Jun2-IrresistableWenchNo.jpg
In June, I visited Bordeaux and ordered that a new fishing wharf be built. While touring the county, my keen eye noticed a beautiful young thing, who seemed to have taken quite a fancy to me. She was not of noble birth by any stretch of the imagination, but she sure was tempting. I asked my spymaster, Elayne for some advice on the matter.

“You are a king my liege, and surely you have the right to take anything you are offered. But ponder this for a moment...sure you may not feel the wrath of the church for that bastard Aldred in your court, but are you willing to doom your kin to never inherit their ancestor's titles? Do you think that Rome will stop at nothing to ensure a bastard never rules the most glorious kingdom in Christendom? I urge you to look at the bigger picture.”
“Bigger picture? I am almost twenty years old and unmarried – what harm could be done?”
“You asked for my advice, my liege and you have it. You have a mind of your own, my liege and it is not my place to change it for you. Just ponder this for a moment. Did you know that Andres, King of Sweden has an eleven year old daughter and as of yet, no male heirs? Why not wait and try to strengthen your inheritance of Sweden and Denmark?”
“I think you mean my future son's inheritance, Elayne. Thankyou for your learned counsel. I will consider it. You are dismissed.”

Subsequently, I decided not to indulge in pleasures with the young wench from Bordeaux. Perhaps there would be time for her after I had married....

In the middle of July, the windmills in Atholl had been constructed. I ordered construction of our first glassworks in Atholl the next day.

On August 18, we celebrated ten years since the County of Vas became part of Scotland, when we had concluded a war with Germany. It would be the first of many fiefs in Central Europe to become part of the kingdom.

The next month, apostolic poverty spread to the southern county of Suffolk.

1207Oct6-InternalStruggleWarNo.jpg
During October, another internal war broke out, this time between the Bishopric of Bornholm and the two Duchies of Ostlandet and Trondelag. I again, refused to join the war, letting them sort it out amongst each other.

1207Nov1-EvilOmenAskClergy.jpg
On the first day of November, and evil omen was seen in the sky of the capital. To try and allay the fears of the locals, I asked the clergy to explain away the phenomenon.

1207Nov15-GemerRqVassalOK.jpg
A fortnight later, Jeno Arpad, Count of Gemer arrived at my court, requesting that his lands become part of the kingdom. The addition of his county to the realm would certainly strengthen my hold in the Hungarian protectorate. Not only that, it would allow me to proclaim myself as the new Duke of Nyitra. I agreed to have Jeno as a vassal and became the Duke of Nyitra on the twenty-second.

1207Dec23-RebuffDemands.jpg
As the year came to a close, my chancellor demanded to be awarded for her years of loyal service. I rebuffed her demands, claiming that the moneys would be better spent on the stability of my realm. She was not impressed.

On the last week of the year, the new library was finally built in Lothian. Two days later, on the 26th, I ordered the construction of the realm's first ever mine, which would also be built in Lothian.

Wow... this is a superb ARR. Your game has been going on for ages!

What speed to you usually play at? "Normal" or slightly slow... or do you just pause to take screenshots?

Thanks...(I still haven't finshed it yet!). I play at 1 speed above absolute slowest. That way I can easily pause to take screenshots (using Alt-Print Screen so I can give them a useful name) and I keep an instance of Notepad open to record anything else useful. This speed is especially useful when you have huge wars to wage.

I remember seeing this AAR a few months ago and getting excited (one of my favorite CK1 games was with the Loarns- had a cousin who was Margaret Atheling's son and I conquered Ireland but I quit after Scotland declared war on me) and then forgetting about it, but does this mean it's back? (will have to sit down and read it, but it looks quite cool!)

I remember seeing this AAR a few months ago and getting excited (one of my favorite CK1 games was with the Loarns- had a cousin who was Margaret Atheling's son and I conquered Ireland but I quit after Scotland declared war on me) and then forgetting about it, but does this mean it's back? (will have to sit down and read it, but it looks quite cool!)
Thanks for the kind words....yes it is back...:cool:

Warring with heretics and heathens
1208Jan6-PrestigeAdvisor.jpg
During the first week of January, I let it be known that I was extremely pleased with Marshal Aldred 'The Bastard' and his prestige improved somewhat. Even though he was not seen well in the eyes of the church, I had come to respect his sense of duty to the realm.
As the month came to a close, the practice of Apostolic Poverty gained popularity in Bordeaux while in Fife, another library had been built. I commissioned that a new forestry also be constructed in Fife to help pay for the upkeep.

1208Feb24-RefuseImpulse.jpg
As part of my continuing plan to keep an eye on things with my English peers, it was essential that I look after Norfolk. The library completed in time for Valentine's day was a good start, however I really needed to make it clear that my time here would not be short. My next improvement for Norfolk would be a new fishing wharf – construction to begin immediately. My over active eye again noticed quite a charming young lass residing in Norfolk, yet I refused to submit to pleasures of the flesh. Rumours of my chaste reputation were sure to reach Rome, and my wife to be would be of age soon enough...

1208Mar3-AssasinateRivalNoImHonest.jpg
In the first week of March, my Spy Master came to me with yet another devious plan to help me increase my worldly powers. It sounded simple enough – organise for an assassin to kill one of my rivals, the Duke of Argyll. It was at this point I contemplated dismissing Elayne from her services as Spy Master – there was no way I would be part of such a dishonourable enterprise as killing my rival.
It brought back horrible memories of my younger years - always looking over my shoulder, scared that I would be the next royal to be hacked to pieces in the night. I was unable to sleep soundly for the next week.

1208Mar9-NewCountessStrathclyde.jpg
My new found honesty made it difficult to rule so many fiefs. I had to parcel out some land so that I rule more fairly. I appointed the childless and elderly Lasairiona Ui Canannain (1137 - ) to be the new Countess of Strathclyde, whom at the ripe old age of seventy was devotedly loyal to my cause.

1208Apr6-PolicyChgBastards.jpg
During April, I turned twenty years old. The fishing wharf was finished in Bordeaux. I also decided it was time to change the kingdom's policy to accommodate Aldred 'The Bastard' who had served me so well. It did not go down so well with Rome, who branded me as deceitful.

1208Aug4-ToledoPleased.jpg
The next month, Grenada declared independence from the Duke of Toledo. I conveyed my good wishes to Mahtar and advised him to be more than capable of dealing with Grenada for he had taken back Carcassonne only three months hence. As King, I would stay out of his internal squabbles. Mahtar was more than happy with how I decided on this matter and let me know it. By July, Mahtar had already taken Montpellier back.

1208Aug6-GoodRiddanceChancellor.jpg
A few days later, my mother who was also the Chancellor appeared before me. She demanded just compensation for all her years in service as chancellor, and a mountain of money to continue to work for me. As I was now twenty years old, it was perhaps time to break from relying on my mother for advice.

1208Aug6-NewChancellor.jpg
I dismissed my mother from the office of Chancellor, and replaced her with the eminently capable Scathach Sanchez (1165 -).

1208Aug18-NewDukeNyitra.jpg
August 18 was the eleventh anniversary of the Count of Vas becoming part of Scotland. As a goodwill present, I presented the Count of Vas with a new title – he would now be the Duke of Nyitra. For some reason, this also seemed to please the Duke of Toledo.

At the beginning of September, the tile factory was finally built in the capital. Next on the list for Moray was a new sawmill to replace the one I'd sold earlier for our wars. Meanwhile in Atholl, our very first Glassworks on the mainland was finished. Atholl was beginning to become a bit of a commerce hub, so I ordered a moneylenders to be built there.
Down south, as October came to a close, the Lothian Mine was open for business. To help support this new industry, I ordered that a new windmill be built in Lothian too. It wasn't long before the forestry was completed in Fife...this of course meant I had to build a sawmill there too.
By December, I was sure that the sawmill in Fife would be well under way to being built. However, the locals had other ideas and openly revolted on December 11, amassing arms and marching in the streets. Two days later, there was still no rule of law in Fife, so I rallied an army of 8300 men in Atholl. Aldred 'The Bastard' would lead them into Fife to crush the rebellion.

It would probably take about a month before my men would reach Fife, so I instead looked in on Norfolk who had just completed their fishing wharf. Even with their new fishing wharf, Norfolk's fish market seemed decidedly small. Consulting with my chancellor Scathach, the best solution seemed to be more investment. I ordered a civilian harbour to be built in Norfolk.
A fortnight into the year 1209 and finally Marshal Aldred 'The Bastard' and his army arrived in Fife and fought with the rebels. Within a week, the rebels had been routed and the army was sent home.

1209Jan24-VassalWontChangeLaw.jpg
As the month came to a close, I received word that one of my vassals was refusing to change his laws to match mine. This sort of news made a small dent in my reputation, but at least I wasn't in the Duke of Toledo's shoes...another county had broken free from his rule. Algercrais had done the same as Granada and split from Toledo. I again left the Duke to his own devices on this one.

1209Feb18-WarBadajoz.jpg
On February 18, I was the recipient of the news that the pious Bishop of Bristol had decided to war against the heathens controlling Badajoz. The bishop also had the full backing of his lord, the Duke of Gloucester, who also joined the war. Bristol's ally, the Count of Devon also declared war on Badajoz. The Count of Devon's lord, the Duke of Cornwall also joined the war. With so many vassals at war with Badajoz, I had to do the honourable thing and defend my realm. Scotland was now at war with Badajoz.

1209Feb20-MarchFromAtholl.jpg
Over the next two days, I assembled a war council. Admittedly, it was merely my council of my trusted advisors whom I already consulted on matters. This council I had named thus, expressly so we could discuss the matter of Badajoz.
Our top priority would be returning Bedford to Christian rule since it had been under the yoke of heathen rule since 1197. However, at the end of the meeting it was decided we should take all of Badajoz for Christendom.
Marshal Aldred 'The Bastard' would lead an army of six thousand men from El Bierzo to Badajoz. Commander Malise would be in charge of the sixty six hundred strong army in Norfolk, and Commander Malcolm would be leading an army seventy eight thousand men strong in Suffolk. Both these armies would be marching to converge on Sussex, to board ships for northern France. Another army of eighty eight hundred men were to march from Atholl to Dorset for exactly the same purpose. Meanwhile, I rallied an army of ten thousand men in Bordeaux and we marched towards Badajoz.
I sent an envoy to the Count of Santiago, requesting that he mobilise his forces for war – as his lands were not far from Lisboa, owned by Bedajoz.
Within the week, Santiago had organised his men and was now leading an army of fifty eight hundred as they shipped out to Lisboa for a measly seventy ducats.

1209Mar17-LothianCausesRealmDuress.jpg
Not even a month into our war with Badajoz, and elements from inside my realm try to ignite a civil war within the kingdom. The Archbishop of Lothian declares war, hoping to incite other vassals to also try to break free from my kingdom. I rallied an army of six thousand men in Moray, who marched onto Buchan and take care of that betraying duke.
Later that week, Malcolm's army arrived in Sussex. It would be another fortnight before they were met by Malise's army from Norfolk. Both armies shipped out to Avranches on April 20, costing just over a hundred ducats.
Meanwhile in Buchan, my army from Moray had arrived and began fighting the Archbishop of Lothian's forces. However, these new recruits needed to be paid for, so I sold the forestry in Moray gaining a paltry seventy five ducats.

1209Apr28-RootoutHeresy.jpg
During April, many sectors of the realm seemed to be preaching heretical teachings. My discussions with the diocese bishop lead me to the conclusion that I had to root out all heretics from my realm. My reputation with Rome improved due to my new zeal.

1209Apr29-DistressOver.jpg
My better relations with Rome also improved my standings with my vassals, so much so that the imminent threat of civil war dissipated completely and the stability of my kingdom was assured.

1209May8-VictoryLothian.jpg
In the first week of May, my army in Buchan had defeated the Archbishop's forces and began siege of his fortifications.

1209May23-BuchanLib.jpg
In a mere fortnight, Buchan was under our control. Meanwhile, Duncan's army arrived in Lisboa and began its siege.

1209May24-PeaceLothian.jpg
The next day, I offered peace to the Archbishop, demanding he give up his title as the Archbishop of Lothian, but continue to be my vassal subject.

1209May25-NewDukeLothian.jpg
The next day, Aimeric agreed and was from then on known as the Bishop of Buchan. I gave Maldoven Loarn (1188 -), Count of Berwick the ducal title to Lothian. I also requested that the Count of Eu in northern France mobilise his forces for war.

The submission of Bedajoz

By the first week of June 1209, Geoffrey, Count of Eu had mobilised thirteen hundred men. The small castle had also been completed in El Bierzo.
With forces ready in Eu, I felt it worthwhile to consolidate a larger army before attacking Bedajoz's forces in Evreaux. I sent envoys to both the Countess of Maine and the Countess of Avranches, asking for their support in my noble war.
It wasn't until the end of the month that both Countesses agreed to provide troops for my holy war. The Countess of Maine provided just over three thousand men, to be led by her capable Marshal Edgar. As for the Countess of Avranches, she provided an army of two and a half thousand men and Marshal James de Brionne to lead them. It seemed that perhaps Christ was on our side, for the regiments from Suffolk and Norfolk also made landfall in Avranches that very same day.
On the first day of the new month, our combined armies in Avranches, Eu and Maine were ordered to march to Evreux, owned by our mortal foe, Bedajoz.

Now that we had forces heading towards Bedajoz's strongholds outside of the mainland, it was time to concentrate on taking Bedford. I sent an envoy to the Duke of Oxford, requesting that he provide military support for the war – his men I would use to take Bedford.

1209Jul9-DefeatedLisboa.jpg
A week later, our first foray into battle ended in defeat at the Battle of Lisboa. Duncan and his men retreated in the direction of Coimbra. However, we had better luck in Bedajoz, which only had the local garrison defending the fort. Aldred 'The Bastard' and his men began the siege of Bedajoz.

Finally on July 18, the Duke of Oxford mobilised his forces and led an army of almost three thousand men onto Bedford. Meanwhile, in northern France – our armies had defeated Bedajoz's forces in Evreux and had also begun a siege. A week later, the Emirate of Badajoz gave his title to Evreaux away. Bedajoz's loyal vassal, whom was not involved in the war, the Sheik of Murcia was now also the owner of Evreux. Since I was not at war with Murcia, the siege was effectively over without victory. My armies in northern France were sent home.

1209Aug6-VictoryBedford.jpg
August 6 saw our victory over Bedajoz's forces in Bedford. The Duke of Oxford and his men began siege straightaway. It was time to try to press our advantage in Bedajoz's hinterland – I asked the Bishop of Compostela as well as the Archbishop of Valencia to ready their men for war, while Duncan and his army headed back into the fire.

It would be a whole two weeks before my men of the cloth finally had their armies ready. The Bishop of Compostela commanded eighteen hundred men, which I ordered to head onto Lisboa to join in the fight alongside Duncan and his men. As for the Archbishop of Valencia, he rallied together a paltry fourteen hundred men – I ordered they march to Badajoz and join Aldred 'The Bastard' and his army.

1209Aug29-BadajozLib.jpg
At the end of the month, Badajoz proper had been liberated and was now under my control. I offered peace to the Sheik of Badajoz, requesting he cede his title to me and all his money too. He agreed to the arrangement, knowing full well he would be getting no more help from his lord, the Emir of Badajoz. Our victorious army marched onward to Lisboa.

1209Sep1-NewBishopBadajoz.jpg
The most sensible thing to do with Bedajoz proper was to reserve it for the church. I awarded the young Edward Loarn (1186 -) with the Bishopric of Bedajoz on the first day in September.

1209Sep5-OstlandetWarEgypt.jpg
A few days later, the small castle in Suffolk had been built. Meanwhile, the Duke of Ostlandet declared war on Egypt. I advised the Duke that I could not support his war against Egypt, for I was too busy fighting the infidels of Badajoz.

1209Sep6-CraveLarge.jpg
The next day, I called a meeting of the Estates General, explaining my war needs and asked for a large contribution to the kingdom's treasury. My words were received well, and we now had an additional five thousand and three hundred ducats for war.

1209Sep7-BedfordLib.jpg
Only one week had gone by in September, and the Duke of Oxford and his army had liberated Bedford. Since the Emir of Badajoz had no armies on the mainland, I sent John and his army home.

1209Sep12-VassalIndepPeace.jpg
The Count of Medjerda saw this turn of events as a sign and declared independence from my kingdom. I advised him that he could leave with my blessing, little did he know that I'd never even heard of his backwater county until that day...

1209Sep23-CommanderCaptured.jpg
On the twenty-third of September, Marshal Aldred 'The Bastard' had been captured by the Emir's forces, and they demanded a thousand ducats for his safe return. My marshal was essential to the war effort, and a thousand ducats was a mere trifle so I paid up.

1209Sep23-OxfordNewVassalOK.jpg
On the very same day, the Count of Oxford was granted an audience with myself. Richard wanted to be part of my kingdom, a request I could not refuse. I made a point of chiding him for not asking earlier.

1209Oct2-LisboaLiberated.jpg
Just over a week later, on October 2, Aldred 'The Bastard' had been released by his captors and led his army to victory, overrunning Lisboa and turning it over to our rule.

1209Oct3-PeaceDealBadajoz.jpg
The next day, I offered the Emir of Badajoz the chance to save face and make peace at the same time. Halil would be allowed to keep his title as Emir of Badajoz and his vassals, but he would give up his claim to Suffolk and half a thousand ducats for my trouble. Halil would also cede all the land he held to my kingdom and become a vassal of Scotland. The Emir's hands were tied and he had no choice but to agree to my terms.

1209Oct6-NewBishopLisboa.jpg
Over the next few days, I parcelled out the new lands that I had taken from the Emir. My diocese bishop, Malise Berkeley (1169 -), became the new Bishop of Lisboa - this would hopefully please Rome since they would not be impressed with Halil being a new vassal. I proclaimed myself the new Duke of Beja, Duke of Murcia and Duke of Cordoba. As for Bedford, I presented the newly acquired title to the Duke of Bedford.

1209Oct10-DealWithRevolt.jpg
On the tenth of the month, the peasants had started a revolt again in Fife, claiming they were being taxed too harshly for the war efforts. Since the war was now over anyway, I gave into their demands and send two hundred and fifty ducats back to the people. This cooled their heads for now.

1209Oct15-NewDukeOfSkane.jpg
In about a week's time I appointed the Count of Halland as the new Duke of Skane, and granted Rome two new archbishoprics. Malise, Bishop of Lisboa was appointed to be the new Archbishop of Beja, while Edward, Bishop of Badajoz was appointed as the new Archbishop of Cordoba.

1209Nov5-NewBishopFromPopeOK.jpg
In the beginning of November, the library in Suffolk had been completed. I ordered the construction of a new church in El Bierzo, and the pope offered me a new man of the cloth to become my diocese bishop. It would cost me eight hundred and sixty ducats to transport him to my court, which barely dented the treasury coffers.
Within another week, the moneylenders had set up shop in Atholl. The sawmill had also been finished in Moray, so I started the construction of a new forestry.

1209Dec8-DijonWarsEgypt.jpg
During December, the Count of Dijon joined Ostlandet in his war against Egypt. Personally I felt that the time was not yet right to take on such a large power as Egypt and again stayed away.