• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The new King of Norway, the forty year old prince and the new Duke...

On the second day of the new year, 1168 I decided to take the fight to King Guttorm as I knew the Isles to be rightfully part of Scotland. At the princely sum of almost one hundred and fifty ducats, we shipped out from the Western Isles and onto Bergenshus located on the western coast of Norway.
As for Malcolm's army, it arrived the next day in Reval and with no defending armies there began besieging the fort.
Still, to make a dent we must send more men off to Guttorm's lands. By the seventh, I had raised an army of almost seven thousand men in Fife. It would cost one hundred and fifteen ducats to ship the marshal and his regiment from Fife to Agder...but since we were already drowning in a sea of debt, another hundred or so down the drain was no big deal.
A week later, another army of almost three thousand in Lothian would make their way towards Akershus, led by Commander Dafydd. Thankfully, it was only fifty ducats for the trip.
On February 18, France was again at war with the Sheiks in Iberia. This time it was Asturias de Oviedio. Since they did not feel compelled to help me in my war, I felt exactly the same about theirs. Bringing Guttorm to heel would be my focus for now.
Towards the end of March, I received word that my son, the Duke of Moray was pleased with my rule. Murdoch was due to inherit a powerful kingdom one day – he should be pleased...

1168Mar29-BrokeSellWindmillsAtho-1.jpg
Shortly afterwards, I had to sell the windmills in Atholl to make it look like I might one day pay off my enormous debt.
On May 30, Commander Dafydd and his army arrived in Akershus and besieged the fort.

1168Jun12-TeutonicKnightsFormReval.jpg
On June 12, the Teutonic Knights in Reval declared independence from Norway, and assumed control of the area. Since Reval was now under Teutonic rule, there was no need to continue the siege. Malcolm and his army set out downriver to Velikiye Luki, costing just over ten ducats.

1168Jul1-AkershusLiberated.jpg
By the first day of July, Akershus had been liberated and was now under Scottish control. In less than a week, my marshal and his army had arrived in Agder and were besieging the fort there.

1168Jul20-AdgerLiberated.jpg
A mere three weeks later and the Norwegians in Adger were subdued. With Adger now under Scottish rule the only place left in mainland Scandinavia to conquer was Bergenshus.

By the second of August, I and my army had arrived in an unguarded Bergenshus. Immediately we began the siege of its fortifications.

1168Aug15-BergenshusLiberated.jpg
It had barely been a fortnight before we had taken control of Bergenshus. With mainland Norway now under Scottish control, I had to push the advantage and send my men to go and take the Norwegian settlements near the Gulf of Finland, as well as the ones down-river on the Western Dvina. I send Dafydd and his army who were still in Akershus off to Aukshayts on the Western Dvina, costing almost a hundred ducats.

On the first day of September, I decided that Akershus should become part of my kingdom and subsequently laid my claim. The very next day, Malcolm and his army arrived in Velikiye Luki. Malcolm encountered no standing army defending, so the siege of the area began straightaway.

1168Sep3-Depressed-1.jpg
Soon enough, the stress of the prolonged war was beginning to get to me. Depression took hold.

1168Sep3-KnightsOfferServiceOK.jpg
Knights from far and wide offered their services to help me take on the Norwegians. I gratefully accepted them.
By the seventh, I had ordered my marshal and his army in Adger to move to Akershus. By asking them to march through Telemark and then Vestfold, I would not need to send any ships.

1168Sep25-PopeCallsForPeaceNo-1.jpg
Before the month was out, on September 25 the Pope had called for peace between our two great kingdoms. Since the war seemed to be clearly heading towards a Scottish victory, I was unwilling to heed the Pope's call.

1168Nov24-VelikiyeLukiLiberated.jpg
Almost two months had passed since our men arrived in Velikiye Luki and besieged the area. Finally, on November 24 we were victorious and had taken control of Velikiye Luki. On such a high of victory, Malcolm and his army marched onwards to Sudovia, to hopefully take that too.

By the ninth day of the new year, Malcolm and his army had reached Aukshayts, even before Dafydd and his army had arrived. Subsequently, Malcolm began the siege of Aukshayts.
On April 18, minor merchant families were expelled from Lothian.
On the first of May, Dafydd and his army finally arrived in Aukshayts to help with the siege.

1169June10-AukshaytsLiberated.jpg
It was still over a month before on June 10, we had brought Aukshayts under Scottish rule. That same day, both armies marched onward to Sudovia...
Meanwhile, the peasant power increased in Moray and minor merchant families were expelled from Fife.
Eventually by June 30, both the armies of Malcolm and Dafydd had made it to Sudovia. It seemed always by the time our armies arrived, the Norwegians had fled. Nevertheless, we still had to lay siege to take control of the area.

1169Jul27-ClergyDemandMoreRightsMor.jpg
On July 27, the clergy demanded more rights in Moray. I was happy to accede to their demands. Two days later, smallpox had spread to Lothian.

1169Aug1-SudoviaLiberated.jpg
August 1 saw the liberation of Sudovia from Norwegian rule. All Norwegian lands were now firmly under Scottish control. The tide had indeed turned to victory for the Scots. I decided that tomorrow would be the ripe time to press my advantage before suing for peace.
The next day, I had laid claim to being the Count of Adger, Bergenshus, Sudovia, Velikiye Luki as well as the King of Norway.

1169Aug3-PeaceDealNorway.jpg
On August 3, I offered Guttorm a very generous peace deal. He would have to give up his title as the Norwegian King and all lands on the Norwegian mainland. But for five hundred ducats he could keep the Norwegian settlements on inland Europe.
The deal was signed, I was now the King of Scotland and Norway. My armies were sent home.
Meanwhile, rebels had appeared in Lappland and were laying siege to the area. I raised an army of almost two thousand locals in Vasterbotten to head north and deal with them.
Two weeks later, the rebels were dispersed and the Vasterbotten army went home. I made my son the new Count of Agder.

1169Sep2-BishopricAukshayts.jpg
Before the month was out, I handed my son another county, Bergenshus. As for Akershus, I decided to give that to Rome, and made John Meriadoc the new bishop of Akershus.

1169Sep18-NoLongerDepressed.jpg
Now that I was no longer at war, I was no longer depressed...and in October, the promissory note had spread to Fife.
As the year was coming to a close, to help try and keep my subjects loyal I cut the scutage from two and a fifth ducats per month to nothing at all.

1169Dec15-ResettlementLothian.jpg
During December, the area of Lothian had become prosperous as we had resettled some new lands.

1170Jan2-ScotlandProper.jpg

Scotland Proper - Jan 2, 1170.

1170Jan2-ScottishScandinavia.jpg

Scottish Scandinavia - Jan 2, 1170.

It was now 1170. Now in charge of a much larger kingdom than I had before, I was becoming known as a just king. I arranged for my Chancellor to marry a local girl on the ninth of January.
While my kingdom was currently holding together, the same could not be said for the German kingdom in Europe. It was fracturing, with many vassals openly declaring independence and seceding from the King. Perhaps I could use this upheaval to bring some German vassals under my rule. On the fourteenth, I had offered Johann the Count of Lüneburg the chance to be my vassal.
Within three days, the Count replied, telling me he would be content to be independent.

It hadn't been long since the war with Guttorm had finished last August, but he had already begun re-establishing his power base for he was now the Duke of Lithuania. I thought it would probably be a good idea to mend some of our relations, and offered him the chance to become my vassal on February 3. The next day, the Duke advised me of his decision to go it alone.
I would have to keep a wary eye on the Duke of Lithuania, who by the start of April had taken Pereyaslavl from the Emir of Mallorca.

Thus began my eight month struggle to get at least one new vassal to join my new kingdom. I'd asked Cadell Duke of Deheubarth, Madog Duke of Gwynedd, Bróccan Duke of Munster, Philipp Duke of Gelre, Gerrit Duke of Holland, Bernhard Count of Ostfriesland and Gerrit Duke of Holland to become part of my kingdom. Not one of them decided they wanted to be part of Scotland.
Meanwhile, on June 24 it was my son Murdoch's fortieth birthday. I made him the new Duke of The Isles.
It wasn't until November that my luck turned a little, when after two weeks of deliberations, Malcolm the Count of Kleve accepted my proposal from the fifth. Kleve was now a vassal of Scotland.
On the eighteenth, Apostolic Poverty spread to Lothian.

1170Dec1-PossibleGroomGrainne.jpg
In the last month of the year, I had found a suitable groom for Grainne. Tormud of Giske, Count of Medelpad, now a loyal vassal was only to happy to agree to my marriage request.
On the ninth, land productivity increased in Atholl and reinforced leather shortly spread to Fife.
Meanwhile, I was beginning to become more concerned with increasing power of the Duke of Lithuania, who on December 14 had declared war on the County of Bezhetsky Verh.

(EDIT: see Johan11's post)

Last edited:
Don't you mean Akershus, not Aukshayts?

He who controls Rome controls the world...

And thus began the uneventful year of 1171. Still drowning in a sea of debt, to the disappointment of my steward, I again decided to refrain from calling in the Estates General to help clear my debts.

1171Apr5-MarriedLoveVirile.jpg
During April, though I felt myself to be quite virile due to the love of my wife.

1171May11-ProsperousXtraHarshTaxes.jpg
And the next month, since the kingdom was so prosperous I enacted extra harsh taxes on the realm, hoping to recoup monies and be free of debt.

1171Jul24-SellWindmillsFife.jpg
Unfortunately, the taxes were not harsh enough, for in July I had to sell the windmills in Fife.

1171Oct10-SellSawmillFife.jpg
And by October, I still was in the red and had to liquidate the sawmill in Fife too...

By the new year, my most recently signed on vassal, the Count of Kleves began to show his true colours, his loyalty taking a dive. No wonder Germany had not bothered to reel in this rebellious count.
Meanwhile, in Fife the farmers of the land had began herding goats. I also offered my grandson David, Duke of Saxony a chance again to be part of the family realm.
Before long, David advised me that he was content to be independent and not under his grandfather's protection.

1172Feb3-CrusadeEnds.jpg
On the third day of February, the Crusade had ended. I wondered if I would live to see another crusade, for I would be sixty years old next year. As the month came to a close, the farmers in Argyll also figured out how to herd goats.

In the middle of march, the Diocese Bishop fell sick. He would be bedridden for some time, however I felt no need to appoint a replacement.

1172Apr2-PapalController.jpg
On the second of April, the noble that had been appointed papal controller passed on. Myself, being now a somewhat pious King was appointed to be his replacement. From what I understood, I was now the Pope's advisor in political matters. I could advise him on many matters, even things like whom I thought was in league with the devil, or whom I thought to be wrongly accused.

1172Apr23-RevokeSaxonyXcom.jpg
By the end of the month I had decided to use my influence to familial advantage. I asked the Pope to revoke my grandson's excommunication. Now fermenting in my mind was how best to use my new position of power in Christendom.

1172May28-DisloyalKlevesOutmaneouve.jpg
By the end of May, it had become time to counteract Kleve's disloyalty, and this enabled me to lay a claim on his lands. Not that I was interested in Kleve – it was too much of a jaunt from Scotland proper to be concerned with.

1172Jun4-NewMarshall.jpg
On the fourth day of June, my marshal defected to the County of Somerset. I replaced him with Hugues de Normandie, who was as old as myself.

1172June16-AllowDuel.jpg
Within a fortnight, I allowed a duel between two courtiers in the realm. Although it now escapes me as to who won the duel.
Meanwhile on the nineteenth, France declared war on Orleans. Another of my vassals changed their laws to match mine.

1172Sep2-PossibleGroomRagnhild.jpg
On the fourth of September, the Duke of Albany agreed to the proposed marriage of my granddaughter Ragnhild to his son Andrew Loarn.
Andrew Loarn (1152-) is the son of Duncan Loarn (1125-). Duncan is the son of Donald Loarn (1104-1170). Donald was the son of Constantine Loarn (1083-1131). Constantine was the son of Malcolm Loarn (1066-1097). Malcolm was the son of Gruaidh Loarn (1049-1120).
Ragnhild is the daughter of Tore Loarn (1137-1159). Tore was one of my children with Kristina Yngling (1113-1144).
On November 9, I again refrained from calling in the Estates General to help settle my enormous debt.

1173Jan15-XcomRogaland.jpg
By the fifteenth of January 1173, I had again used my influence with Rome and excommunicated the Count of Rogaland, a Danish vassal. Although Rogaland was a subject of the Danes, I felt it really should be part of Scottish Norway.
Three days later, the Pope called for a Crusade to Burgos.
On March 1, I was informed that my son, the Duke of Moray was pleased with my rule under feudal contract. I was still broke however and had to sell the books in Lothian's library for which we only raised seventy five ducats.
On March 9, I finally succumbed and called in the Estates General, asking for a large contribution.
Thankfully generosity held out and just over sixteen hundred ducats was received. Not enough to pay off all the kingdom's debts...but close. I now had only six thousand and six hundred ducats owing.

1173Mar17-XcomDukeOfYork.jpg
Later that month, to hopefully expand our lands southward I organised for the Duke of York's excommunication. Perhaps one day all of York would be Scottish.

1173Mar30-LowPrestigeClaim.jpg
My chancellor advised me at the end of the month that because of the kingdom's low prestige our claim on the Count of Kleve is not being taken seriously. I had to agree, I wasn't really that interested in the area either. I told the chancellor to revoke my claim to Kleve.

1173Apr18-XcomCountDurham.jpg
It wasn't long before on April 18, I again had the pope do some more dirty work for me. This time I asked for the Count of Durham's excommunication. This should enable me to easily lay claim to more so-called English lands to the south, perhaps even linking York to Scotland proper.
Meanwhile, the Archbishop of Lothian was nonplussed with my hold on the church and his loyalty waned.

1173Nov5-XcomCountOfGalway.jpg
While I had not yet made any claims against people I had excommunicated, I felt it was perhaps time to promote the inheritance of my dynastic line. Newly born Ewan Loarn, is sixth in line to the throne of Ireland. I excommunicated the Count of Galway on November 5. As he was second in line to the Irish crown, Ewan would now be fifth in line to the crown.
As the month concluded, France had declared war on the Sheikdom of Faro and the Kingdom of Zanata.
In December, still needing more money to pay the treasury debts, I sold the tile factory in Moray and got another seventy five ducats.

1174Jan15-XcomCountPerfeddwladd.jpg
Next inheritance promotion would come for Fergus Loarn, who is sixth in line to the Duchy of Gwynnedd. I organised for the excommunication of the Count of Perfeddwladd, who was second in line to the ducal title on January 15, 1174. Fergus was now fifth in line to the Welsh duchy.
On the first of April, the use of charcoal was seen in Argyll.

1174Apr15-NewMarshall.jpg
On April 15, I appointed a new marshal, the bastard Robert d'Auvergne. This young lad seemed well trained in the ways of war.

1174Aug27-XcomDukeLancaster.jpg
By the end of August, I had decided to resume my excommunication of nobles neighbouring Scottish lands. This time, I had chosen the Duke of Lancaster. The Pope was only to willing to oblige.
At the end of September, smallpox had finally retreated in Lothian.

1174Oct22-NewPope.jpg
On October 22, Pope Sambor passed away, The curia elected Pope Andrzej to continue his godly works. Thankfully, I was still able to be a sane voice in the new pope's ear.
By November, the Archbishop of Lothian was now pleased with my feudal rule.

1174Dec5-XcomDukeBedford.jpg
On December 5, I organised for the excommunication of the Duke of Bedford, for he almost bordered Scottish soil. Bedford actually bordered Surrey, owned by Burgundy. Surrey meanwhile bordered Kent, which is Scottish. Later that week, the use of the pike had spread to the armies of Lothian.

The sunset of Aed's reign

As final quarter of the twelfth century arrived, minor merchant housing spread to Fife, and the Count of Hdemark was pleased with my rule under feudal contract.
As the middle of the year approached, I again used my papal influence to my advantage – helping improve the inheritance prospects for one of my vassals in the far east.
1175June18-XcomCountBezhetsky.jpg

On June 18, the excommunication of the Count of Bezhetsky was arranged. The Count of Starya Russia would in time inherit Bezhetsky, and thus expand my realm at the same time.

1175July11-PapalIndulgencesHandy.jpg
Being in the ear of Papacy had more advantages than I had hoped for, with money from papal indulgences also heading to the treasury coffers every once in a while.

1175Sep27-NewChancellor.jpg
Within the next month, my Chancellor had defected to Galway. My new chancellor would be Eleanor Loarn, who at sixty nine years of age was probably the oldest member of the court.

1175Nov7-KleveDeclaresIndependentOK.jpg
On November 7, the disloyal Count of Kleve declared independence from Scotland. I was only happy to let him go, for he was too far away to be concerned with...

1176Jan18-CourtOf1176.jpg
Within the first two weeks of 1176, I had decided it was high time to make new appointments to the court, making almost a complete reshuffle of positions in the court.
As the kingdom was still in debt, on the second day of February, I increased scutage to two and a fifth ducats per month from nil and increased crown duty by a third of a ducat per month to three and a fifth ducats.
This subsequently saw the Duke of Orkney's loyalty take a huge dive. By April 12, I had called the the Estates General and asked for a large contribution, gaining almost sixteen hundred ducats! A good start, but the kingdom was still in the red to the tune of roughly three thousand ducats.

1176Apr27-DoNotPressSentence.jpg
Meanwhile, on April 27 my diocese bishop brought a heretic before me to be judged. As I had good terms with Rome, I felt there was no need to place a sentence on the so-called heretic.

1176Jul9-XcomKingSweden-1.jpg
On the ninth of July, I decided to enhance the inheritance of my kin by plotting and achieving the ex-communication of the King of Sweden. This makes my grandson, John Count of Strathclyde now 4th in line to the Swedish throne. In time, his heirs could be the King of Scotland, Norway and Sweden.
At the end of the month, the treasury was still empty, forcing me to sell the forestry in Moray for seventy-five ducats. Subsequently, I raised the monthly scutage to eleven and a fifth ducats.

1176Aug8-BrokeSellCastleMoray.jpg
Even with the extra money from scutage, the accounts were still dry and I had to sell the Castle in Moray.
As December approached, the longbow became in common usage for men training in Lothian.

1177March13-SuccessfulPropaganda.jpg
In March of 1177, a concerted effort on behalf of the knights of my realm helped to increase the prestige of my kingdom worldwide. The Count of Hdemark was also pleased with my rule under feudal contract. Unfortunately, for all their efforts I could not reduce the taxes levied by the kingdom. Still owing over two thousand ducats, I had to increase the monthly scutage to almost twenty-one ducats.
As April drew to a close, our masons in Lothian had learned from afar how to construct a windwheel.
Things were somewhat quiet in the realm until the middle of August, when the Pope had a word in my ear. He wanted my kingdom to join a crusade against the heathens. As I was his confidant, naturally I agreed to his plan. Personally though, I could see no clear way to go on a crusade for as you well know, the funds were not there.

1177Aug24-AkershusDeclaresIndepende.jpg
And then, a week later the Bishop of Akershus declared his independence from Scotland. This certainly put water on the camp fire. I wanted my kingdom to stay together as one. Sending a messenger off to the Count, I re-offered the chance to join the kingdom again as an equal vassal.
I hinted that should he decline, that we would indeed be at war.
This hint obviously went unheeded, for three days later I received a messenger telling me of Akershus' decision to keep his independence and remain free from my rule.
The next day on August 28, I declared war on the Bishop of Akershus. I also had a small word in my friend's ear about my troubles, and before I knew it, the count had been ex-communicated.
Time to go to war....I assembled an army of two and a half thousand men in Bergenshus, owned by my son and lead them towards Akershus.
It was November 8 before we faced the enemy in Akershus.

1177Nov21-NewPope.jpg
On November 21, Pope Andrzej was called away to the greatest kingdom. The curia appointed Eustachy as the new Pope – he was earlier known as the Bishop of Northumberland. I was able to stay on as the new Pope's political advisor.

1177Dec4-DefeatBattleAkershus.jpg
Fortune however did not smile on my army in Akershus, who were routed by the enemy and had to retreat towards Vestisfold.

Eventually on the twenty third day of the new year, we arrived to lick our wounds and prepare for another assault on Akershus and his men. Meanwhile I asked the Duke of Ostlandet to mobilise his forces on my behalf.
Within a fortnight, the Duke of Ostlandet agreed to my request, raising an army of almost three thousand in his homeland. Ostlandet gladly agrees to lead his men in the march to Akershus.
It's not until February 22 before Ostlandet and his men arrive in Akershus to fight for the cause.

1178March15-VictoryBattleAkershus.jpg
Just over three weeks later, Ostlandet and his men are victorious over Akershus' men a begin the siege of his castle.
On the twentieth of April, the Archbishop of Lothian passed away. Rome appointed a new archbishop, who seemed to show no loyalty to my throne.

1178Apr22-AkershusLiberated.jpg
Not long after, on the twenty second, Akershus was liberated by our forces.

1178Apr24-PeaceDeal.jpg
The next day, I graciously agreed to revoke the Bishop of Akershus' excommunication. I then offered him peace which he was grateful to agree to.
I really didn't need the county of Akershus as part of my personal demesne, so I gave it to the Duke of Ostlandet who was instrumental in my victory.

1178May13-LothianDeclaresWar.jpg
On May 13, it looked as though there would be a bishopric revolt in the kingdom for the Archbishop of Lothian declared war on me – the second bishopric in as many years.
In Moray, I gathered an army of seven thousand and led them in a march onto Sutherland.
As for my Marshall, Robert – he gathered an army of six thousand and marched towards Buchan.

1178June1-DiesOldAge.jpg
Historian's Note:
On June 1, 1178 King Aed of Scotland and Norway died. He was aged sixty four years and ruled as King of Scotland from September 1, 1122. Aed ruled as the King of both Scotland and Norway from August 3, 1169 until his death.

King for 54 years!!!

No wonder he was beginning to tire me;)

Nah, I was missing the scottish updates.

That's two out of two rulers beatified. Good going.

More amusing than my kinslayer/crusader/celibate hungarian count who got beatified.

The reign of Murdoch, the Serene

11780601-NewKing.jpg
June 1 1178.
Today was a day of mixed feelings, for my father, Aed II, the King of Scotland, and Norway had died. His body would sail for Iona tonight. The rest of the day meanwhile would be of a happier note, for I, Murdoch the Grand Duke of Moray and The Isles was off to Scone to be crowned the new king of the dual lion – Scotland and Norway. At the age of forty-eight, I was be the eldest man ever to be made king.
After my failed coup almost twenty years ago when I inherited Galloway from uncle Duncan, I was happy to bide my time until I would eventually become the king. The humiliation of being stripped of my inherited lands after only having them for six months had a profound effect upon me.
Bad blood between myself and the king bled though the kingdom for almost five years, and we were still rivals when he gave me the county of Berwick back in 1165.
The gift of Berwick helped cooler heads prevail, as I had the year before given Strathclyde away to my first born, John. As for my father, I think he at the time still felt I might challenge his throne.
Then came the shock of the Long Norwegian War, which started two years later. It was good for me in some respects, my father made me the new Duke of the Isles. When the Long Norwegian War finished two years later in 1169, was when I could be truly recognised with my new title.
Now that I am the king, I have a war with the Archbishop of Lothian to finish. After that, I think the restoring of good relations with the papacy would be in order. As for after that, well I have to win the war first...

11780605-BuchanLiberated.jpg
Five days as king does wonders! On the fifth day of my reign, I received word that my armies had liberated the County of Buchan from the Archbishop's forces. With only one more county to take control of, victory was now assured.

11780620-SuccessfulPropaganda.jpg
Within a fortnight, efforts of my greatest advisors had come to fruition and my worldly prestige had grown a little. The King of France offered an alliance, helping further strengthen our ties. Traditionally, there had always been an alliance with the French...and I was not going to break tradition for now.

11780622-VictoryBattleOfBuchan.jpg

11780622-VictoryBattleOfSutherland.jpg
The alliance certainly helped morale in my armies as we claimed victory in Buchan and Sutherland a mere two days later. Now that the rebel force in Buchan was decimated, my armies only had to take control of Sutherland's fort and I could demand terms with the Archbishop of Lothian.

11780708-SutherlandLiberated.jpg
By the first week of July, we were well on our way to capturing Sutherland and by the eighth it was finally ours.

11780709-PeaceDeal.jpg
The next day, I called upon the archbishop for peace. He would hand back Sutherland to the kingdom, but stay on as the Archbishop of Lothian, based in Buchan. Lothian knew he was beat and that even Rome could not help him out. The peace deal was signed, and finally my armies could go home to their wives and children.
As the sun went down on my victorious kingdom, my thoughts went to its eventual future. It was time to anoint my successor. At dawn the next morning, I would knight my first born son, John the Count of Strathclyde as the new Duke of Moray. Tradition held that the Duke of Moray would inherit my throne.
As the year progressed, I steadily increased John's power base, adding Bergenshus, Caithness and Sutherland to his duchy.
By the beginning of 1179, I had made John a Grand Duke by adding the Duchy of The Isles to his growing realm.

11790107-BishopOfArgyll.jpg
In the first week of the new year, merchants had begun issuing promissory notes in the capital. I thought that this might not be seen as a good thing by Rome. I made a new bishopric in Argyll, to hopefully appease the clergy. As for local matters, I appointed Andrew McKay as the new Diocese Bishop.

11790108-TimesHarshChurch.jpg
Even though the kingdom was at peace, it owed almost two thousand ducats in debts. I instituted Ecclesiastical Balance as a taxing option to gain more money, while donating less to the church.
The same day, on the eighth I may have angered Rome more by seizing church lands to pay off more debt.
This of course, made the newly appointed Bishop of Argyll somewhat disloyal. Some tidy manoeuvring on my Chancellor's part enabled me to freely claim Argyll for the kingdom.
As the month came to a close, farmers in Lothian had been spotted using iron edged ploughs in their lands.

11790304-VestislandVassalOK.jpg
On March 4, I received an envoy from one of the furthest counties that I'd ever known. He claimed to be from Vestisland, which was many days sailing to the west from the Faereyar islands. Fortunately for him, he had with him a message with the seal of Vestisland. Aufrica, the countess of Vestisland declared her desire to become a vassal of my kingdom. I gratefully accepted her offer.
With lands secure to the north, my mind seized on the idea to one day join all parts of the kingdom as one. And so began the quest to have a link between Scotland proper, York and Kent.
The first step in the quest was to claim more English counties. On May 15, I added a claim to the County of Durham, just north of York.

11791005-MoneyMissingTreasury.jpg
As the year progressed, I noticed that more and more money seemed to be disappearing from the treasury. After much investigation, it wasn't until October 5 that I found the main culprit to be the steward who was supposed to look after the money...

11791007-NewSteward.jpg
Within two days, I had found a replacement steward who would hopefully prove to be more trustworthy.

11791113-BrokeSellFishery.jpg
Although the change had been initiated and the kingdom was now losing less money, I was still broke and had to sell the fishery in Moray, gaining seventy five ducats.

11791113-NewPope.jpg
On the same day, Pope Eustachy passed away. The curia appointed Pelka, the Bishop of Padua as the new Pope.

It was now 1180. The treasury still owed a mountain in debt, and I sold the forestry in Fife for a mere seventy five ducats, which barely made a dent.
In the middle of May, a new type of building was seen in and around Atholl – ones that employed the use of Romanesque vaulting. This new type of building for now seemed limited to church buildings.

11800527-ScottishMediterranean.jpg
During my regular meetings with my dukes and counts, I was informed that there was now a Scottish presence in the Mediterranean. The Duke of Albany had a vassal located in Delta, which was where Cleopatra reigned long ago.
I proceeded to inform them of my plans for English lands, and then laid claim to the County of Derby, which is to the south west of York.

11800601-PapalStateIberia.jpg
Not long after on June 1, I received emissaries from Rome, who pleaded with me to hear them out.
I gave them an audience, and was shocked to hear that the Papal State had lost control of El Bierzo to the ever-expanding Emirates. The Papal State was not supposed to fall to the infidels...I did the only thing possible and declared war on the Emirate of Compostela who had control of El Bierzo.
The next day, Compostela declared war on the Duke of Canterbury while I raised an army of six thousand men and we set sail for Compostela. Another one hundred and fifty ducats of debt for that.

11800606-DiedOldAge.jpg

Historian's Note:
Murdoch was Count of Strathclyde from June 24, 1150 until 1164, when he granted the title to his son, John.
Duke of Moray from July 1, 1150 until July 9, 1178
Count of Argyll, Duke of Galloway from May 2, 1161 until October 7, 1161
Count of Berwick from February 18, 1165
Duke of The Isles from June 24, 1170 until January 2, 1179.

On June 6, 1180 King Murdoch 'The Serene' of Scotland and Norway died. He was almost fifty years old and ruled as King of Scotland and Norway from June 1, 1178 until his death just over two years later.

Last edited:
Now that was short!

Very short!

So, to John!

And, will Maeles be sainted?

The reign of King John
1180June6-NewKing.jpg
And so it was, that on June 6, 1180 that I was now in Scone, awaiting my investment as the new King of Scotland and Norway. Bishop McKay placed the crown upon my head, as I sat upon the Stone of Destiny. Calling upon the authority of the papacy, he declared that I was the new King.
As tradition dictated, I would now have to sit on the throne and welcome all my vassals as the new king. This way, I would know who all my subjects were.
At the age of thirty one, I had been in a position of noble power since I was fifteen. That long ago, as the Count of Strathclyde, I was the second in line to inherit the thrones of Scotland, Norway and Sweden. King Aed, my grandfather graciously let me marry Chancellor Mary Meriadoc (1147-1166). My first daughter, Bethoc was born to Mary in 1165.
By the end of that year, I had claims on Tir Connail, Tir Eoghain, Ulaid, York and the Duke of Galloway as well as the King of Sweden, of which I was now fourth in line to inherit.
When Mary died in 1166, I married Sian Cynfyn (1148-1169). With Sian I had another daughter, Arianrhod (1167-) and my first son, Fergus (116:cool:.
My third marriage, to Nest Cynfyn (1152-) in 1169 is still going. Nest is a distant cousin of both the Duke of Gwynedd and my great great aunt Gruaidh. With Nest I have four children so far - Angus (1170-), Ruadri (1173-), Aufrica (1175-) and Isabel (1176-).
By the time Ruadri was born, I was the fifth in line to the Swedish throne and had lain claim to the counties of Mide, Osraige and Kexholm. My inheritance of Sweden was steadily slipping away.
The inheritance of the Scottish and Norwegian thrones brought with it even more claims - Laigin, Oxford, Argyll, Galloway, Durham, Derby, Warwick and Kleve. Unfortunately, the inheritance did not seem to improve my worldly reputation. In fact, it made it seem even more credible that I was an intricate web weaver, being able to acquire such power in less than two years. Others saw the way that I came to prominence as somewhat deceitful, remarking that I preyed on my father in his dying years to grant me his lands so no others could inherit them.
Depending on how some knights saw my actions on the battlefield, I was seen as a coward in one instance, and hostile the next. My loyalty to my wives while I was married to them saw me as chaste and modest by the gentry in the court.

It had been six days since my coronation, when on June 12, the Bishop of Albany rallied to our cause to help Rome out and declared war on Compostela.
Shortly afterwards, I granted Rome a new bishopric, Bergenshus which is located in Scottish Scandinavia. Andrew of Galloway was appointed the first Bishop of Bergenshus.

1180June28-BastardDeclaresHeir.jpg
Then on June 28, a bastard turned up in court, claiming to be the rightful heir to the my throne!
I suspect that he will not be around for much longer.

11800602-WifeChancellor.jpg
On July 2, I made my beautiful wife, Nest the new chancellor of the kingdom.
The same day, I made Antoine de Lorraine, who is a distant cousin and the Count of Ross the new Duke of The Isles.
How is Antoine, born in 1143 my distant cousin? Being the son of Charles de Lorraine (1120-1170) and Ermesinde Loarn (1122-1164). Ermesinde Loarn was the daughter of Arnoul Loarn (1105-1159), son of Thibault (1184-1182), son of Angus (1064-1103). Who of course was the son of Gruaidh Loarn (1049-1120), King Maeles' sister.

A week later, the Pope makes peace with Compostella, giving up the county of El Bierzo. Scotland is however, still at war with Compostella.
As the month came to a close, I had to sell the library in Sutherland, to gain a paltry seventy five ducats to help pay off the kingdoms debts.

On the third day of August, I granted another distant cousin a new title. Guthred Loarn who was already the Duke of Albany would now also be the Count of Strathclyde. Guthred is son of Roolb Loarn (1125-), son of Maldoven Loarn (1108-1154), son of Constantine Loarn (1083-1181), son of Malcolm (1066-1097). Who of course is a son of Gruaidh (1049-1120).
Later in the month, the practice of herding goats spread to Sutherland.

The Iberian Return and the vassal rebellions

On the first day of 1181, the army finally made landfall in Compostella. The only enemy was behind the castle walls, so we immediately besieged it.
The next day, in Lothian my marshal led an army of three thousand men into ships towards Vermandois. The voyage took another hundred ducats out of the treasury.

1181Feb1-CompostellaLiberated.jpg

Compostella was finally liberated from the infidels on February 1. Our victorious army in Compostella marched onward to El Bierzo to continue the good fight...
The next day an army of five and a half thousand from Fife was shipped out to provide support in Compostella. At a price of one hundred and sixty ducats, the treasury was well in debt. I owed just over two thousand ducats to the moneylenders.

1181Mar12-WarDeteriorates.jpg

The ongoing far way campaign was severely hampering production at home. On March 12, I pledged one and a half thousand ducats to try to maintain realm stability. Almost four thousand was now owed by the kingdom.

1181Mar13-VictoryBattleOfElBierzo.jpg

The next day brought grand news from abroad, the infidels were defeated in the battle of El Bierzo, and our men were besieging the castle.

1181Apr20-ElBierzoLiberated.jpg

After a month of siege, finally we had liberated El Bierzo and had the upper hand against the infidels.

1181Apr21-PeaceDeal.jpg

Although I sued for peace on the 21st of April, it was a full five days before Compostella finally gave into my demands. Scotland was back in Iberia once more.
Meanwhile, our regiment on way to Vermandois got shipwrecked in the Waddenzee.

With the war over, my marshal demanded compensation for his role in the war. After consulting with my wife, I decided to not have him executed, but exiled instead. Nest seemed to think it would not play well with my vassals.
1181May1-NewMarshall.jpg

On the first of May, Suibne Ua Flaith was appointed as the new marshal. I also received missives from Scandinavia, informing me that Count of Osel was pleased with my rule.

1181May3-AlbanyDeclaresWar.jpg

I crazily thought that I had good relations with all of my vassals, but the Duke of Albany would prove me wrong. Talk about cheek! Only last year was he given the County of Strathclyde, and now he declares war on me. I was smarting, it was like a slap in the face to my rule.
I rallied a call to arms, amassing an army of six thousand men and leading them to Argyll, a vassal of the Duke's who also sided against me.
I sent orders onto my aides in Atholl to gather Marshal Suibne and an army and head straight to Angus, the Duke's home county. By May 3, Suibne had an army of just over five thousand men descending upon Angus.
Although I have two armies on the march, I think another army fighting for me would be useful, so on the first of June, I asked the Duke of Lothian to mobilise his forces. Three days later, I and my army arrive in Argyll.
By June 12, the Duke of Lothian mobilises his forces, providing himself and five hundred men. I order them to head to Mar, another vassal of the Duke of Albany.
Meanwhile at the court, I have decided that Aufrica will be raised by nannies.

1181June21-VictoryBattleOfAngus.jpg

Even though we are victorious on the battlefield in Angus, Marshal Suibne is severly wounded in the battle. The siege begins.
On June 25, Nest informed me that she was expecting. I probably should have left her at the court rather than bring her while on the march to Argyll. Hopefully, this war will end soon.
In the second week of July, the Duke of Lothian's army arrives in Mar, itching for battle.
At the same time, Suibne and his army liberate Angus from the Duke of Albany.

1181Jul15-PeaceDeal.jpg

On the fifteenth, I demanded peace with the errant knave. He would give up all his claims on my lands, but keep Angus and his Ducal title. He would also have to re-swear his fealty to my crown.
The Duke agreed to the arrangement. I told him that this would be his only warning.

By August 5, the nannies had finished teaching Aufrica. It was now time to decide where she would be schooled. An education in the court seemed most appropriate.
It became clear during the month that both wars, the Papal Expeditionary War and the Albany Rebellion had cost the kingdom considerable money and drained resources. I had to call in the Estates General and ask for a large contribution. Hopefully the eighteen hundred ducats provided would help ease our debts.

1181Sep13-BorrowModestAmount.jpg

Alas, it still failed to make much of a dent, and on September 13, I had to borrow almost fourteen hundred ducats from other moneylenders to make up the shortfall.

In October, I decided that Aufrica's sister, Isabel would also be educated at court. The Duke of Osel became increasingly pleased with my rule.
On December 14, my steward was accused of black magic. While I knew this to be probably true, I held a fair trial anyway...I could use some of that magic he accused has!

As the first month of 1182 came to a close, I again received word that the Duke of Osel was pleased with my rule. This was beginning to tire me of receiving his missives.

1182Feb1-StabiltyOfRealmParamount.jpg

Meanwhile as February arrived, the kingdom was not recovering as well from the wars as I had hoped. The local barons offered to help to improve the realm's stabilty...it would be a loss of face for me, but I felt the realm needed it.

1182Feb4-BethocDetachedNun.jpg

On the fourth, my daughter Bethoc finished her education and the convent had turned her into a fanatic of the cause. Two days later I was only too happy to marry her to the fifty three year old retired priest, Andrew MacKay. I was also able to take a duty from the people for her marriage, raising nearly a thousand ducats!
The next week, a library was completed in our newest county, El Bierzo.
Unfortunately, my claim to the Irish county of Tir Connail became illegitimate on February 20.
That same day, my marshal, Subne who was already seriously wounded gained an illness which the physicians were unsure of.

1182Feb22-NewSpymaster.jpg

Two days later, I assigned a new spymaster, Finnguala MacWilliam.

On the twenty-sixth of February, my fifth daughter, Dubessa was born.

1182Mar1-NewSpymaster.jpg

Finnguala turned out to be not all that loyal, and by the start of March I had appointed Matilda O'Connor as her replacement, while not quite as sneaky, she would at least be more loyal.
I also cut the scutage to fifteen ducats a month and the crown duty to nil, in an effort to improve the loyalty of my vassals. They seemed to be concerned about the growth of my kingdom in Iberia.
During the middle of March, it was discovered that my Diocese Bishop, Guy of Atholl was born out of wedlock. Rome was not pleased about this, so I replaced him immediately with Bethoc's husband, Andrew MacKay. On a happier note, ballads spreads to Compostella.
By the end of May, marshal Suibne's illness had taken a turn for the worse and been identified as an intestinal worm – nothing more could be done.
Again, there still seemed to be discord among the vassals, so I cut the scutage even further to a miserly ten ducats a month in June.
On the ninth of June, Nest told me that she would again be with child.
Marshal Suibne died on July 23. The very same day, the use of light chain-mail spread to El Bierzo.

1182Jul23-NewMarshall.jpg

I hastily appointed Gilchrist Wallace as the new marshal, hoping that his loyalty would indeed improve over time.
August proved a great time for my daughters, with the King of Denmark accepting Isabel as a fosterling in his court. Aufrica, who shows great signs of being a prodigy, meanwhile was accepted as a fosterling in the Prince of Pereyaslavl's court.
In September, Warhammer spread to Fife, while in El Bierzo, local thugs were hanged and the Thieves' guild disbanded.

1182Nov28-VestlandetDeclares.jpg

On November 28, the Duke of Vestlandet declared independence from the kingdom. I in turn, declared that he was out of line and would pay for his insolence.
On the first day of December, Marshal Wallace led an army of almost six thousand out to Adger. It would cost almost a hundred ducats to send them out, which would be a small price to pay to wreak a vengeance on Vestlandet.
During December, siege towers and monastic schools spread to Sutherland.

1182Dec29-NewMarshall.jpg

As December came to a close, my regiment deserted. No doubt to that disloyal Wallace. I replaced him forthwith with Malcolm Meriadoc, while almost as disloyal, however his war tactics were better.

Last edited:
Been away for a short while.

And now things seems to go bad!

Come on! Glory! Ter Scottland!!