• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Book Four Chapter Twenty-Nine
@filcat is back! And he's appreciating my allusions to medieval literature! Excellent!

@Idhrendur is back, too! I also agree that the heretics are a pother to the Moravian realm... hopefully not for long. Converting Živka back will take effort, though.

Great to have you both commenting again and I hope you're continuing to enjoy the AAR.

@Midnite Duke, yes indeed, Živka has embraced certain Betazoid nuptial traditions! I'm not exactly sure about winter temps there either... thanks for being a regular reader and commenter.

Anyhow, without further ado...

WARNING: NSFW images of certain religious sect members.

TWENTY-NINE
Alone…
22 October 1192 – 28 June 1194

2021_07_06_49a.png

The twenty-second day of October, in the year of the world 6702, was the darkest of Botta’s life. He awoke to find his heart torn out of him… for his wife, his childhood playmate, his beloved, his queen-consort and the prop of his rule, Czenzi, had ceased breathing during the night. She had passed her seventy-second summer. Bohodar had at once called for Božena and for the priest, but there was nothing the former could do for Czenzi, and the latter was left to say his prayers over her. When the priest left, Bohodar knelt at his wife’s side and wept silently.

‘Lord Jesus,’ Botta murmured through his own elderly, quivering lips as he rested his head upon her cold hands, ‘grant unto your handmaiden Czenzi eternal rest, and, as you will it, remember her in your kingdom together with all your saints! And upon me, wretched sinner, O God, grant me mercy—!’

When Bohodar finally emerged from his room, he wore nothing but black: black tunic, black hose, black cloak. He wore none of the symbols of his office save for his rings. He spoke as few words in the zhromaždenie as he could get away with, and he passed most of his time in the court either in silence or in private prayer. He felt he could do nothing else. The light had gone out of his world.

The burial of Árpád Czenzi took place in the traditional resting-place of Moravia’s kings, in Velehrad. However much he might have wished it, Botta was disallowed from—as his ancestors Bohodar 1. and his aunt-wife Blažena had done—making plans to lie together in the same grave, casket and shroud as his beloved Czenzi. (According to the research he’d done, the only reason Queen Blažena had been granted this remarkable allowance in the first place was because she had died within a week of her husband, and the embalmer and undertaker had thus seen no physical impediment to it.) He would have to content himself with a grave as close adjacent to his wife’s as could be physically managed. Bohodar continued wearing the mourning black for months after his wife died.

‘For whom does the king mourn so intensely?’ asked one curious guest upon the elderly man’s return from Velehrad.

‘For his deceased wife, the former queen,’ said her companion.

2021_07_06_50a.png

The guest, Evdokia Pankeeva, was the sister of the late Knyaz of Černigov, who had been slain in a power struggle. His family had been forced to flee, and this was where Evdokia had landed. She had been bereft of a brother; she knew what that loss felt like. And when she saw the elderly widower moving under the burden of such grief, her heart was moved.

‘Please, tell me more about the king,’ said Evdokia.

The guest in Moravia’s halls spent the following weeks in sporadic, but persistent, attendance at the king’s court, and made every effort to listen to his speech, to understand him, to get close to him and to speak to him. She wanted to grant him what comfort she could, to let him know that he wasn’t alone in his grief. And—the more she saw of him, the more she realised that she and he were a great deal alike. At last, after several months, having shared speech with him and learned of him and gained his trust, she made bold to speak to Bohodar 3. letopisár, and broach with him the subject which had grown subtly but steadily in her mind since she’d first seen him.

‘O Lord Kráľ,’ Evdokia told him when the two of them had a chance to speak tête-à-tête, ‘it is plain to all who see you, the devotion that you still carry for the woman who loved you, and who was your support for over fifty years. I… well, in fact, I envy you somewhat. I still feel the grief of loss over my brother. But it is not well for someone to suffer alone, as you do. Would you not… consider sharing consolation yet, with another human soul?’

Evdokia flashed those bright, sincere, unguarded blue eyes up into Bohodar’s own elderly hazel ones.

For Kráľ Bohodar’s part… well, though his wife had died, the fire had not at all gone out of his loins, and he still felt the burning. Evdokia was very much so a woman, standing before him. And she if she was no younger than Czenzi had been when he’d first married her, Bohodar could swear she was no older—a blossom of womanhood in her summer years, no more than twenty if she was a day. Her sincerity, earnestness and evident kindness gave her an appeal that a mere surface-level good looks could only ape with affect, and the wheat-gold hair that hung unbound about her shoulders was of a tantalising lustre and thickness. And that wasn’t all – Bohodar hadn’t lost the use of his eyes. The Severian beauty had a shapely swan-neck, and the curves beneath Evdokia’s apron, both fore and aft, were full and firm. No doubt she could provide ample ‘consolation’ to any man who shared her bed!

2021_07_06_50b.png

Bohodar heaved a long, heavy sigh together with a silent prayer. He knew what his answer to her would be—must be, regardless of the prickings and stirrings of his flesh, and the desire of his heart for the companionship it had lost.

‘Evdokia,’ the Kráľ laid a kindly hand upon hers, ‘I understand what you mean, but please reconsider before you offer me anything in haste. You are young, and healthy, and beautiful. The grave, on the other hand, beckons me with both arms now. However much I might desire it, I would not be so selfish as to have you waste your most precious years and vitality, looking after a sick old man in his dotage.’

‘Bohodar,’ Evdokia protested, ‘it would be no trouble for me! Health and vitality I do have, and what better use could they be put to than in caring for you? I do care for you—your sadness mirrors my own!’

Bohodar took both her hands in his and squeezed them with deep affection. Again he was tempted, sorely tempted, by what she was offering him—the moreso because he knew that every word she offered him was sincere. She would care for him selflessly, and never begrudge him the loss of whatever years he had left in him. He had almost made up his mind to say ‘yes’ to her, to let Evdokia throw herself upon him, to make herself the selfless and noble Abishag to a waning David in his twilight years. But…

‘Evdokia…’ he told her. ‘Dear Evdokia, you would give me greater happiness, if I could see you enjoy life, together with a man of your own years. You deserve that much. And it would keep my own heart at ease, if I could but tend to Czenzi’s memory.’

‘A memory… can’t keep you warm at night,’ Evdokia made one last-ditch attempt to argue her case.

‘Warm?’ Bohodar echoed her. ‘No. No, it cannot. But her memory can keep me human. Evdokia, I like you too much to love you after the manner of the flesh.’

‘Is… is this your final word?’ murmured a disappointed Evdokia.

‘It is.’

2021_07_06_51a.png

It was very much to her credit that Evdokia Pankeeva neither pitied nor resented him after such a rejection, but continued to lend him a sympathetic ear and mild speech of comfort and appreciation.

Evdokia Pankeeva was not the only one to offer her sympathies and gestures of goodwill to the grieving king. The Empire of the Romans had a new Basileios, Athanasios 2. Dekanos, who in a remarkably kind and liberal gesture sent Kráľ Bohodar a mechanical bird which could open its throat and sing with remarkable sweetness at regular intervals. Sadly, poor young Athanasios—who had made this gift to the elderly king as consolation for his loss—was rather hurt and offended when he learned that Bohodar letopisár had eagerly disassembled and delved into the marvellous construct’s inner workings in order to discover and understand how it worked.

2021_07_06_52a.png

2021_07_06_53a.png

For his own part, Bohodar dealt with his grief by continuing to delve into his studies, even as his children continued to add grandchildren to a growing brood. He pored over the papers which had been gathered in from all over Olomouc and beyond, seeking to fill in small gaps in the family lore. Bridging the past with a burgeoning future was now his sole study. The news of the birth of his great-grandson Radomír in Balaton did give him joy, but it still pained him that his granddaughter still adhered to the Carpocratian Gnostic heresy of the Balaton nudists, but at least he was assured that she had continued to eschew the ritual fire-dances. (Given the notorious promiscuity of these occult Gnostic rites, her “earthbound” faithfulness to one man seemed to have a perverse streak to it.) He could only hope now, from a distance, that his grandson could remain as constant, both in his faith and in his person.

2021_07_06_51b.png

2021_07_06_61a.png

Despite all of these well-wishes and attempts to distract himself, Bohodar continued to grieve. The Kráľ undertook a third journey to ‘Anṭâkiya in that same year. This time, he specifically did so in his wife’s name, and bore around his neck the mussel-shell amulet he had given her in his youth as a token of her presence, even though her body lay in Velehrad. He prayed without ceasing every step of the way, for the remission of Czenzi’s sins and the salvation of her soul.

The time spent on the road, however, was not without its travails. His seventy-year-old body, of course, having grown fat and flabby with lack of exercise and slack from age, struggled with trails he had once traversed with ease. But also there were times when Bohodar was beset by doubts, and by the demons of noonday. He wondered if he weren’t better off turning back. But in his heart of hearts he knew that he must press on for Czenzi’s sake. When he reached the dome at last, every thought and every motion, every word which passed from his lips, was for the woman who had left him behind in the world.

2021_07_06_56a.png
2021_07_06_59a.png

After Bohodar’s return from the holy city, however, further grief was added unto him. He learned from his šafár that his daughter Bohdana, the one whom Czenzi had named for him, had died in Lehnice in childbirth. Her husband, Živka’s brother Miroslav Rychnovský-Lehnice, was beside himself. But her father was even more so. His wife had gone, and his youngest daughter as well. He sank into a deep despondency, and his prayers to God were tinged with a world-weariness that could not be any longer disguised.

2021_07_06_60a.png
2021_07_06_57a.png
2021_07_06_58a.png

‘My liege,’ said a worried Bohuslav, ‘the zhromaždenie is anxious for you—dangerously so. They fear for the health and soundness of mind of their king. It is not well of you to keep them in such doubts.’

‘Why should I make them certain, of something I doubt myself?’ Bohodar answered listlessly.

‘Because the realm depends on it,’ Bohuslav snapped. The effect was very nearly a slap in the face.

Bohodar blinked.

‘The Moravian realm,’ Bohuslav pressed mercilessly, ‘which you have spent your whole life defending, which you have built up into an abode of peace, which you have taken every effort to guide as though it were your own precious child! Are they now nothing in your eyes? Are you so self-consumed by your own personal losses that you would throw the entire work of your life into turmoil at the last?’

Bohodar stood. Bohuslav was, of course, entirely correct. ‘No.’

‘Then might I suggest,’ Bohuslav went on, ‘a public appearance? An event of some kind, to reassure the good Slavic folk, your subjects, of your well-being?’

Bohodar considered a moment, and then declared:

‘Assemble the hunters.’

The train of horses and hounds rode out from Olomouc later that week, and made their way north and west toward the royal hunting grounds in the Ores. Because the purpose of this hunt was in fact to reassure his subjects, the elderly king Bohodar made sure to ride in the open, up front by the banner. But a hunt it still was.

As they entered the forest, Bohodar went alongside a neckbearded burgomaster named Slavoj. Although the Kráľ was not one to really take quick dislikes to folk, he quickly found himself developing one for the burgomaster. The bearded burgher’s prattle was both incessant and insufferable. He spoke as though he was a learned teacher and master of every possible subject, which to a scholar of effort and achievement (like the king) was particularly grating. Bohodar noted even on their short walk through the woods that he outright contradicted himself no less than three times in his rambling monologues on this subject and that—he kept returning to the topic of vulgar gašparko plays in the market. And he sniffled as though he was suffering from some sort of respiratory complaint, even though there was clearly nothing wrong with him. And his endless blather was scaring away the game. Bohodar found himself fighting the urge to give the odious man a well-deserved kick into a bramble thicket.

Of a sudden, Bohodar paused. There was a sudden snap which seemed to be coming from the deeper forest toward the northwest. Bohodar gripped the haft of his hunting spear tighter. Slavoj, completely oblivious, kept on going pompously:

‘So I signed the letter of protest, you see… You know, it really behooves the Moravian crown to attempt to ally itself with the Braunschweig family, because the alternative would be—’

Shhh! Shut up!’ the king hissed. (He’d been secretly longing to tell Slavoj this all morning.)

‘Oh, naturally. Exactly what a member of the Moravian ruling family would tell me to—’

2021_07_06_62a.png

At that moment a massive hart of perhaps five years, twelve points upon its head and its body rippling with powerful muscles—at this point surging with raw anger and lust—interrupted Slavoj’s retort, as it came bursting out of the undergrowth from the northwest. Seeing the two men standing nearby, it bore down on them in its blind rage. Slavoj let out a shriek and dove for cover, leaving Bohodar to face the beast alone.

The fight-or-flight instinct took hold of the practised blademaster first. But it was soon followed by a dangerous, but disquietingly comforting, thought. What if this hart were to gore him to death just now? Would that not be a fitting end? Would he not get to see his Czenzi the sooner in that event? Part of Bohodar—a far larger part than he would later like to admit—wanted to see to it that he put his spear down, and hold forth his elderly body for the wild enraged beast to mangle.

But the despairing thought wasn’t quite enough to overpower Bohodar, who couched his spear against his side and thrust forward at the last moment, impaling the beast just under its neck. The impact jolted Bohodar’s body painfully backward, and he could hear as well as feel at least one of his joints pop out of its proper seating. But it was the hart which had been gored to death, rather than the Kráľ.

2021_07_06_63a.png

2021_07_06_64a.png

The incident, however, had left Bohodar rather shaken. Even on the return from his hunt, he was aware of the sinful despair that had nearly claimed him. He needed to remedy this.

Bohodar turned, therefore, in his last days to the heirs of Father Szilveszter, the Orthodox priest who had married them, but who had carried about his person the various totems and symbols of the shamanic táltos. Such priests had been rare, though, even when Czenzi and he had been young. It took great effort to search the Csángóföld for another such. However, he felt he had to turn to such ‘folk religious’ methods of prayer, to bring himself to a state of peace… still being in the world, while Czenzi no longer was. He found Father Imre, who taught him a method of entering the trance-state.

Bohodar practised this method of prayer, over and over. Although men began to whisper that the Kráľ had gone mad, or that some dark power had come over him, still he practised and continued until he found he could bring about a state of openness and clarity within himself. He combined this with the standard prayers at the iconostasis. There were uncomfortable murmurs among the clergy that Bohodar had adopted a kind of ‘double faith’, and the Kráľ came to be regarded with a degree of suspicion, if not outright fear, on account of his… innovative methods of prayer.

2021_07_06_68a.png
2021_07_06_70a.png

Even though the king did nothing to dispel such whispers, in truth, they needn’t have worried. The king would not now abandon the faith that united him to Czenzi. He would not abandon the Creed which promised a resurrection of the dead and a life in the world to come. He would not abandon hope that one day, he would be reunited with his Czenzi once more.

2021_07_06_70b.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It's hard to read of such grief.

And yes, I'm trying to get back in the habit of commenting.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Book Four Chapter Thirty
@Midnite Duke: She won't have to wait long, at least!

@Idhrendur: I appreciate that! And yes, that was a rather sad chapter to write.

I quickly want to say thanks again here to @Dunaden on Botta and Czenzi's behalf, for nominating me for Character Writer of the Week in AARland this week!

THIRTY
… Among Many
16 October 1196 – 6 September 1199

‘His Excellency, the Burgomaster of Čerikov, družinnik of Bojaryňa Jaroslava Radislavovna Sobakina of Roslavl, has arrived from the realm of His Grace Brjačislav, the Velyky Kněz of Běla Rus’, to pay his respects!’ announced the herald.

Bohodar raised his eyebrows at the herald. It was unlike the youngster in front of him to make so crucial an omission in his introduction of a visiting guest as the man’s name. But the reason for that omission became clear as the man being introduced hove into view in the audience chamber behind the herald. Bohodar couldn’t help but break into a smile at seeing the familiar face of his son-in-law.

2021_07_06_82a.png

‘Rogvolod Dobronegovič!’ cried Bohodar, spreading wide both his arms in welcome.

‘I answer to that name, O Kráľ,’ Rogvolod nodded modestly.

‘Your old homeland has treated you well,’ Bohodar said approvingly, looking up and down Rogvolod. Indeed, he wore a fine fur-lined cap and cloak, and his broaches were made of silver inlaid with gold.

The Rus’ burgomaster nodded. ‘I beg your Majesty’s pardon that I couldn’t stay in your court, but my old village would not allow it. They voted, and their selection was that I should come back and lead them.’

‘Come with me, privately,’ the elderly king beckoned his son-in-law, ‘you must tell me about it… Have your children made the adjustment well to living so far east?’

‘Are you kidding?’ Rogvolod let out a roar of a laugh. ‘They’re flourishing! Don’t forget—these children are half-Rus’ themselves; the rivers and the forests of Polessie have called to them from their youth!’

‘And tell me, how does Anka fare in Čerikov? It is so far away, and I rarely get word… Is she well? Is she happy? Do her… impediments cause her difficulties?’

The attentive, caring son-in-law placed the king’s mind at ease, his voice falling to a more earnest tone. ‘Your daughter is well, too. Never fear. For this I must commend my countrymen in Čerikov. Far from placing her ill-at-ease by widening their steps around her, let alone (God forbid) pointing and whispering at her face-veil, they have made my wife generous gifts and extended her every hospitality and courtesy they’ve given me. Personally, I think it likely they’ve heard of her exploits in medicine, and are desirous of her advice. Even the young bojaryňa has made visits to Čerikov to get my wife’s opinion—she being four months into her first pregnancy.’

‘And her… arthritic attacks?’

Rogvolod nodded understanding. ‘Actually, I think the cooler weather of Polessie helps her with that. The toes and ankles of her feet don’t flare up angry and red as often as they did here.’

‘I’m glad to hear that,’ Bohodar sighed thankfully. ‘Perhaps I ought to send Vojta out to you—his ankles sometimes also flare up like that. I wonder if it is because he eats too much oily food, and drinks too much wine…’

2021_07_06_83b.png

Rogvolod placed his arm around the king’s shoulder. ‘Well, both he and Kostislava are always welcome in Čerikov.’

Bohodar had come to appreciate Rogvolod all the more after he’d heard how he’d repented of his sexual perversities, and taken to caring devotedly for Anka. The king was happy to see that rank and comfortable living had not altered Rogvolod’s resolve or care in the slightest.

‘I hear more congratulations are in order for you,’ Rogvolod noted. ‘That you have yet a fourth great-grandchild now, in Balaton? Slavomíra?’

‘Yes, that’s true.’ Bohodar couldn’t help but keep the mixed feelings out of his voice. His granddaughter-in-law Živana had still not repented of her Gnostic errors, and he shuddered to think of his four great-grandchildren, growing up in confusion, in a house divided between righteous Orthodoxy—and the debauched, licentious errors of Karpokratēs. Daily he prayed for them, yet that prayer had not been enough.

‘The Rychnovský flower blooms wherever its seed takes root,’ Rogvolod observed with satisfaction.

And that was true, too.

Ever since the mission of Saints Cyril and Methodius in the Moravian lands, ever since the argument in the courtyard between the brash young Slav Bohodar and the cheeky young German Mechthild, it seemed the Rychnovských had been singled out for this natural favour. Together Bohodar and Mechthild had planted a seed, and her womb had borne forth six living children. And from that trunk of the Rychnovský family tree had grown three mighty and fruitful boughs: for the wombs of her daughters Viera, Vlasta and Queen Blažena Rychnovská had all proven equally blessed with progeny.

Through the generations the intertwining branches of the Rychnovský tree, rooted in Olomouc, had blossomed. And it had spread forth good seed, it seemed, into many lands. Not only Moravia and Bohemia, but also Silesia, Milcenia and Ukria had Rychnovský rulers. Bohodar’s daughter Anna was now the wife of a burgomaster in Běla Rus’. And even as far afield as France, where Eustach and Dolz’s child Teodosie had taken refuge with her illegitimate son, a francised Rychnovský had excelled and succeeded to the minor nobility in the court of King Charles 3. as Comte Humbert, and given rise to the cadet branch of Richeneaux-Beaumont. There were now over a hundred living members of this family tree.

2021_07_06_80a.png
2021_07_06_80b.png

2021_07_06_81a.png

‘I hope you will at least see fit to stay awhile, and enjoy my hospitality,’ Bohodar pleaded Rogvolod. ‘You bring great comfort to this old man just by being here.’

‘I hadn’t planned on leaving straightaway,’ Rogvolod assured him. ‘My business here on milady Jaroslava’s behalf will assuredly take several weeks—I’m sure I can see fit to stay on at least a couple of months.’

~~~​

The realm of Moravia continued to be at peace through the final years of Kráľ Bohodar letopisár’s life. Not only did Bohodar take special care to avoid any dissensions among his own vassals, but he had earned even the respect and goodwill of Bystrík Mikulčický’s heir, Knieža Tichomil.

Although there was no doubt in Bohodar’s mind that the Mikulčických still harboured designs on the Moravian throne through their Mojmírov inheritance, he had no complaints whatsoever about Tichomil Mikulčický’s performance as the king’s kancelár. He regularly exceeded himself in his duties. Not only had he managed to renegotiate a treaty with Velyky Kněz Vladimir Pavelkov of Bacs in Moravia’s favour… he had even managed to help Bohodar secure the continued goodwill of his Milčanka kinswoman, the Arcivojvodkyňa Radomíra Rychnovská-Žička.

2021_07_06_76a.png
2021_07_06_87a.png

When Kráľ Bohodar 3. was seventy-six years of age, he called for a hunt. As he did so, the king seemed somehow at rest, at ease… happy, even. Happier than any of his court had seen him since his Hungarian wife had passed on. The hunt went this time not into the northeast, but instead into the west—into Čáslav, toward Hory Kutné.

As the royal hunting party was passing through a nearby misty wetland, they encountered a giant peasant who stopped them in the middle of the road, and accused them all of trespassing upon ground that was not theirs to own or to hunt in. Bohodar met the man with his usual friendly demeanour and spoke to him gently. Not in all that time did Bohodar mention that he was the king, or speak anything of his station. Ultimately he prevailed upon the giant to let them pass. However, as they were departing, the giant suddenly turned to the elderly man, and said:

‘She will meet you upon the twenty-first day. This was not given you to know by men.’

Bohodar met this pronouncement equably, though the sudden pronouncement disturbed and confused the entire rest of the party. He turned to assure them that he knew what he was speaking of. When they turned back to face the giant, they saw no one there, nor any trace that any man had been there.

2021_07_06_88b.png
2021_07_06_88a.png

Twenty days afterward, after the hunt had been concluded and all of them were safely back in Olomouc, Kráľ Bohodar passed away—shriven and at peace with all.

His body was borne in state to Velehrad, and placed at his own direction and wish, in the same grave and in a coffin directly adjacent to his beloved Czenzi’s. She did indeed meet him upon the twenty-first day. Those who were in his hunting-party, including Tichomil Mikulčický, remembered the giant’s pronouncement upon the road… and marvelled. Likewise they marvelled at the equanimity and peacefulness with which Bohodar had met this saying… as though he himself already had a premonition of the time he would die. At last, though, he and Árpád-Hotin Czenzi lay together, one final time—Bohodar having been faithful even to her memory to the very end.

The poem which Bohodar had written to his wife, at the direction which had been set forth in his will, had been gifted directly from Vojtech Rychnovský’s hands, complete with its little silk bag, to Czenzi’s great-nephew Árpád-Hotin Tacsony, who was at that time living in Bacs. Tacsony, who suffered from occasional fits of epilepsy, would not long outlive Bohodar letopisár. At which point, the poem itself would come into the possession of a Bulgarian kinsman, Ostrivoj Detvanski, of a presently-obscure branch of the Árpád dynasty.

(Among the descendants of Ostrivoj, the Detvanský family, one would go on to conquer the entire Carpathian basin and beyond, and found the Kárpátok Birodalma. Whatever else might be said about the rulers of this later southern empire, they certainly valued as precious and admirably preserved this verse immortalising one of the Árpád dynasty’s most notable women.)

Vojtech Rychnovský was thereafter crowned and anointed in Velehrad by the rector of the Royal Cathedral in that city, as the first Kráľ of that name in Moravia. The former king’s only son, similarly prolific, a man of mild temper but rather less than modest habits, had long been content to live and work beneath his father’s wings. He had taken with a remarkable sense of filial duty to the procurement and compilation of family lore for his father’s collection. It was therefore with a sense of security that the nobles of Moravia looked forward to more years of peace under this dutiful son’s rule.

But beyond him… with Žeľko and Živka now within reach of the Moravian throne, and she a Gnostic and ritual nudist… what would lie in store for the Moravian realm?

2021_07_06_89a.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Map post time! And there's actually only one map of Europe that's really relevant at this point...

EUROPE AT THE END OF THE REIGN OF BOHODAR 3. LETOPISÁR RYCHNOVSKÝ

2021_07_06_100a.png

The neighbourhood between Catholic and Orthodox worlds has basically fragmented into a bunch of religious squabbles over translation, calendars and whether or not you should wear a petticoat to your next church picnic. Also, Jews in Bavaria. That's cool. And one of those anti-petticoat people is close to being third in line for the Moravian throne as we speak.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Farewell, Botta! Reunited with Czenzi, all is well in their world. I will go on a limb and guess that we do not get five and forty years of Vojtech (hopefully at least the five). Are the great-grandchildren modest like their studly dad or displaying all like hottie mom? Thank you for telling the tale of Botta and Czenzi.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Interlude Eleven
INTERLUDE XI.
An Adamite Moravia?
14 January 2021

usma09_ck3.jpg

‘Welcome back, class!’ Ed Grebeníček greeted his students as they filed in after the bell. ‘I trust everyone had a restful Nativity Feast break?’

The class gave an assortment of groans and chuckles. Most of them had gone home for the twelve-day festival and had come back ten or fifteen pounds heavier (even the girls!), chock-full of cakes, dumplings, pork sausage, cheese and other such holiday specialties.

‘Well, I have to offer each and every one of you my congratulations,’ Grebeníček told them. ‘You’ve all managed to pass my History 510 class. Your essays on the history of early Moravia were brilliant, and it’s clear you all put a great deal of effort and thought into them. Good work!’

There were a couple of audible sighs of relief—particularly from Ľubomír Sviták, who hadn’t been especially sure of his ability to pass History 510. Evidently he needn’t have been too worried: his essay had thankfully come back with a mark of 2.5, easily raising his grade above the 4 he needed to pass.

‘But now…’ Grebeníček toyed with one of his moustaches, ‘we are going to start on History 511—the Moravian Middle Ages. By the time Bohodar 3. kicks the bucket, we’ve long since passed out of Slavic Late Antiquity, and are well and truly into the Mediæval Era—however variously and arbitrarily those two periods of our history are defined by historians.’

‘Yes,’ Živana chuckled, ‘Bohodar did seem to have a fondness for formal heraldry, tourneys, love songs and so forth. If all that isn’t “high mediæval”, I don’t know what is.’

‘One could even argue,’ Jolana Hončová mused, seemingly to herself, ‘that the rise of the guilds and the beginnings of transition to contracts and a money economy even earlier than that, under Tomáš 1., was the true turning point for the transition between late antique and high mediæval.’

‘Ahh, you’ve been talking to my colleague Dr Weissfeld, I see,’ Grebeníček smiled tolerantly. ‘The true diehard believers in good ol’ dialectical materialism aren’t that easy to find these days, but I’m glad that USMA still keeps at least one around. Good for us to keep our state funding under a Party government.’

There was a bit of smattered laughter.

‘At any rate, let’s settle down, that’s it…’

And then Grebeníček turned on his EnerGrafix presentation. At once a rather titillating lithograph leapt up onto the lit smart-screen from the projector. In it, the billowing flames of a raging bonfire stood in the centre of a meadow at nighttime, if the moon and stars engraved were any indication. Around this bonfire, leaping, cavorting, carousing and (presumably, the really naughty bits were hidden by artfully-placed leaves and branches) copulating in a dizzying ecstasy of orgiastic excess, were over a dozen completely nude forms both male and female. Clearly Ed believed in starting his class off with a bang.

‘Did anyone do the reading over the holiday?’ asked the professor mildly.

‘You mean from the Adversus Hæreses,’ answered Petronela Šimkovičová.

‘That was the pre-reading.’

‘All the stuff about the followers of Karpokratēs?’ Petra answered back. ‘Yeah, I read it. According to Saint Irenæus, weren’t they the Gnostics who believed that all manner of experience, even by the standards of the time occult and sinful, was necessary to achieve salvation?’

‘Yes. Now, in the minds of the Orthodox clergy which was steeped in such Patristic texts at this time, the “neo-Adamites” who appeared in Pannonia in the second half of the twelfth century were one and the same as the followers of Karpokratēs whom Saint Irenæus was criticising in the second century. Indeed, there does seem to have been some continuity between the two groups. However, from the available contemporary sources we can tell several differences. Can anyone tell me what these might have been?’

Jolana raised her hand.

‘Yes, Jolana?’

‘The Pannonian Adamites were radical anti-clericalists who believed in total equality of the sexes and “community of spouses”, as well as embracing ritual nudity,’ Jolana said, ‘but it seems like they had a fairly complex idea about “good” and “evil” that drew from more sources than the more ethically-nihilistic Carpocratians. Their radical ideas about church reform, for example, seem to have drawn from the Rhenish preachers. And they seem to have avoided the cults of personality of the earlier Gnostics that Irenæus criticised by name.’

‘There was certainly some cross-pollination there,’ Ed Grebeníček approved. ‘What other indication do we have that the Pannonian Adamites were more… flexible than their Gnostic forebears?’

Živana Biľaková raised her hand, and was called on.

‘Probably their readiness to adapt. My namesake wasn’t exactly “doctrinaire” about the whole free-love business, and still less about the rejection of hierarchies. Queen Živana was certainly happy to wear the Moravian crown even if she wore nothing else,’ Živana smiled a bit. ‘And it’s interesting how even the Orthodox sources make note of her romantic faithfulness to Želimír, even if the king didn’t exactly prove himself worthy of her devotion at first.’

‘Both good observations,’ Grebeníček noted. ‘But part of that, I think we can chalk up to personality. When the Orthodox told her to put on clothes, she took them off. And when the Adamites told her to “dance”, she went home and shut herself in. Honestly, a lot of that might just be… pure contrariness.’

‘I wonder how she ended up converting back to Orthodoxy,’ Živana Biľaková said aloud.

‘I wonder what might have happened if she hadn’t,’ Ľubomír Sviták interjected with a grin. ‘We might all be taking this class naked right now!’

Ed Grebeníček chuckled. ‘Not sure it’s one many of you younger folks would appreciate, though—having to look at us older folks, that is. But cases like this are kind of where the economistic model of history really breaks down. We start to see how individual personalities really do shape the destiny of nations.’

‘And how’s that?’ asked Petronela—a bit challengingly.

‘Well,’ Grebeníček stroked his moustache, ‘we came very close to having an officially-Adamite Moravia in the early 1200s, as both the king and the queen were communing with this Pannonian Gnostic group at the time. If it hadn’t been for the well-timed actions of one man—and, if you please, the prayers of several others—Moravia might have taken a very different historical path, outside of the ambit of both the Catholic West and the Orthodox East.’

‘It’s hard to know that,’ Petra tossed back her blonde braid. ‘The guilds would still have been operating. The markets would still have been transitioning to a hard-money system. The relations between the nobles and the peasants would have continued to evolve accordingly, regardless of whether or not the king and queen wore clothes.’

Grebeníček shrugged eloquently.

‘Even so… what kept Moravia Orthodox was not a contract system, a popularising medium of exchange, a technological development or anything such as that.’

He flicked the EnerGrafix presentation forward one slide.

An oil painting of a tall, choleric-featured, black-bearded man in a kamilavka and a swooping black cassock, and wielding a bishop’s gilt T-shaped paterissa, striking a prone, fully-nude man on the back, took the place of the bonfire lithograph.

‘This man—this bishop—was the key factor. As we will learn about today.’

‘Saint Budimír of the Crozier,’ recognised Dalibor Pelikán.

‘The Scourge of Heretics himself. Well… perhaps one can also thank Letopisár also, for ensuring that Moravia stayed Orthodox as well,’ Grebeníček allowed. ‘He was the one who sent the letter to Patriarch Samouēl Archaĩos on his grandson’s behalf, which was responsible for elevating Saint Budimír to the eparchy of Balaton. But I mention Budimír because sometimes there’s a man… I won’t say a “hero”, because what’s a hero? But sometimes there’s a man who is in the right time, at the right place.’

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Farewell, Botta! Reunited with Czenzi, all is well in their world. I will go on a limb and guess that we do not get five and forty years of Vojtech (hopefully at least the five). Are the great-grandchildren modest like their studly dad or displaying all like hottie mom? Thank you for telling the tale of Botta and Czenzi.

Indeed! Your predictions continue to be well-informed and accurate. As to the great-granchildren... one of them WILL get his own Book. But I don't think I'm giving too much away there.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Book Four Chapter Thirty-One
The Reign of Vojtech 1., Kráľ of Veľká Morava

2021_07_06_95a.png

THIRTY-ONE
Finish What You Start
16 September 1199 – 30 March 1202

Sláva kráľovi!’ cried Daniel, lifting his goblet, which had just been filled with fresh wine.

All around the great hall, there was an uproarious echo of the king’s uncle’s hail: ‘Sláva kráľovi!

Some quick action and quicker thinking had saved the king’s feast in Olomouc. The barrels of wine which had been packed and hauled north from Znojmo had all spoiled to vinegar, or worse, in transit. Queen Kostislava, irate, had taken the shippers aside and interrogated them until she found that the merchant she had purchased the wine from had been dishonest, selling her a poor-quality ferment. She kept this information for herself for now, but kept her head, went to her husband, and facilitated the purchase of more wine from a reliable merchant in town. That wine had arrived, thankfully, in time—and it was of a decent enough quality to be served.

‘Well, the guests are happy, at least,’ Kostislava told Vojta.

‘You truly did save the day,’ the grateful husband answered her. ‘So, while I’m still sober: thank you.’

The corners of Kostislava’s eyes crinkled appreciatively. Her husband, unfortunately, had little self-control when it came to drink, but at least he had enough self-awareness and consideration to own that weakness. That self-awareness, unfortunately, eluded the overly-enthusiastic Daniel, who downed enough of that particular devil that it couldn’t stay down. A fortnight thus passed in honour of the Blessed Virgin, although the entertainments were of a variety more secular than would have been truly fitting for the occasion of the feast.

2021_07_06_96a.png
2021_07_06_97a.png

The King’s hangover thankfully didn’t last as long as the indulgence that brought it on, thanks to Kostislava’s home remedies.

‘I tracked down the merchant and docked him a suitable amount for the spoilt wine,’ Kostislava informed him. ‘Next time I’ll be sure to use someone reputable when shipping in wines from the south.’

‘Thank you, my dear,’ Vojtech told her. ‘Truly—don’t trouble yourself over it. All’s well that ends well.’

2021_07_06_98a.png

Kostislava smiled tolerantly. ‘Vojta, you do let things slide a bit too much… I fear more than a few would take advantage of that to your cost. Now that you’re king, you really ought to learn to hold the reins a little tighter.’

‘Well, that’s why I have you!’

Kostislava held her husband’s hands amiably. The desires of youth were behind them… but their companionable attachment indeed had grown warmer and brighter in middle age.

Kostislava Balharská-Borsa had inherited from her father Ivan all of his estates in southern Moravia, such that she was now a hraběnka in her own right with the seat of her honour at Znojmo. Her husband, natural diplomat that he was, had helped his wife overcome her habitual mistrust of men outside her family circle, and he still assisted her in cultivating and maintaining steady relationships with all of her grandfather’s former vassals: landowners, burgomasters, village headmen. Kostislava’s position in Znojmo was truly secure on account of Vojta’s aid.

Kostislava, for her part, had more than returned the favour, even before her husband became king. When Vojtech had been recruited by his father into his quest of collecting and sorting through family lore, Kostislava had been an invaluable support. Her scholarly mind and training gave her a keen eye for the deeper significance of the various documents that her husband collected—charters, baptismal and burial records, snippets from monastic chronicles. Vojtech was thus able to sift through the overwhelming masses of vellum and leather binding on his desk, and hand his father the choicest pieces.

2021_07_06_100b.png
2021_07_06_102a.png

Kostislava counted herself lucky. Not so she and Vojta! True enough, when they coupled these days it was out of habit or comfort, rather than out of desire. If Vojtech and Kostislava had nothing more between them than brute bodily attraction, those feelings might very well have died by now. For many husbands and wives, when the initial fever of bed-lust cooled, so too did the feelings of affection between them. But their involvement in each other’s interests had forged something deeper between them: bonds of mutual respect and gratitude.

In times like these, Vojtech was glad to have the support and trust of his wife. Their five sons were a cause to him of much heartache. Zvonimír had been captured by the petty king of Böin, and Vojtech had had to pay seventy-five denár in gold to secure his freedom. In addition, Svätoslav had taken to striking himself with a knout in order to relieve strain, and had struck too hard—Božena had been called in to tend to him, and with God’s help the leech’s treatments had allowed the wounds to knit cleanly.

2021_07_06_101a.png
2021_07_06_106a.png

In addition, Siloš 2. Bijelahrvatskić was giving the new king trouble for having not been given a seat on the council. He had taken to stirring up discontent in the zhromaždenie against the king.

‘How do you want to handle it?’ asked Kostislava.

‘I don’t know, honestly,’ said Vojtech. ‘I only know that it can’t continue.’

‘Hmmm… Tell me about this new knieža,’ his wife asked him. ‘Perhaps we can think of something.’

‘Well…’ Vojtech thought, ‘he keeps to himself, mostly. He must keep well-informed and active within his own demesne—Užhorod is kept in good repair. I notice, however, whenever I go to hold court there, many plaintiffs and disputants come from far afield within his territory to be heard by me, rather than by him. I don’t think he’s made himself particularly well-trusted by his people.’

‘Sounds like a man whose creed is self-reliance,’ his wife noted shrewdly.

‘Quite so. There are surveys and such that even a šafár with all the resources at his disposal would be hard-pressed to perform alone,’ Vojtech mused. ‘I’ll set him to work on one of these. That might teach the man a needed lesson in humility. Thank you, Slávka!’

And so it was done. The new knieža of Užhorod was tasked with taking a cadastral survey of his own lands in the east. Because Siloš was both too reclusive and too fixed in his belief in his own abilities, the results of his work were every bit as unsatisfactory as expected, and the Kráľ was able to shame him in front of the entire zhromaždenie. The knieža of Užhorod was very much more pliable after this.

2021_07_06_108a.png
2021_07_06_109a.png

~~~​

When it came to tasks that no man could complete alone, there was yet one more which required completing. Bohodar 3. letopisár had left behind him mountains of documents and historical records of various sorts—only Vojta knew just how extensive those mountains were—and making something of them was a task that seemed to fall squarely within the new king’s prerogative: an undertaking which, if it were brought to a successful completion, would be a significant feather in his own cap. There were enough documents to work from, in fact, for him to compile an entire epic about the Rychnovských, their origins and their destiny.

Now, unlike his young vassal, Kráľ Vojtech was not too proud or too convinced of his own brilliance not to ask for help in this undertaking.

2021_07_06_110a.png
2021_07_06_115a.png

The first thing he did was, beseeching in the name of his late father whose work was left incomplete, to apply to Patriarch Samouēl in Constantinople. Letting him know the seriousness and dedication which he had already applied to the undertaking, the Kráľ besought funds from the seat of the first-among-equals. Samouēl, who had been well-disposed to Bohodar 3. in the first place, happily sent along some four hundred denár of gold for the purpose.

An Orthodox monk named Miloš was sent for, from the Monastery of Saint Eusebios of Samosata in Budín. The elderly man in his black cassock came mildly in from the cold and made a deep obeisance to the king.

‘Under obedience from my igumen, whose every bidding is to me as a word from Christ, I place myself and my abilities at your disposal.’

Vojtech looked dubiously over Miloš. Who could trust an Orthodox monk with such a thin beard? But all the same, he said to the man: ‘I hear from my churchmen that, among the monks at Saint Eusebios’s, you are the first among the chroniclers and hagiographers there. That your memory is the most capacious, and that your speech is the deepest and richest with spiritual wisdom. It is in these capacities that I have made bold to ask this boon of your igumen, and for the time being deprive him of such a gift. Would you be willing to use these talents on my behalf?’

‘As long as the result serves the Lord,’ Miloš answered meekly, ‘I would be honoured so to do.’

2021_07_06_111a.png

For over six months, from the end of the year of the world 6710 deep into the Lenten season of the year 6711, Miloš pored tirelessly and with great devotion over the Rychnovský family legacy. The elderly monk and chronicler, together with the king, sifted through dusty reams of ink-scrawled scraps and ends. They attempted to improve upon, and bring up to date, the work that had been done already by Radomír 1. hrozný in the tenth century.

‘There seems to have been an incidence,’ Miloš said to the king, ‘in which your illustrious ancestor Slovoľubec hewed his way through the mountains in Čáslav, during the subjugation of the Česi, through only the power of his prayers. What should I do with it, O Kráľ?’

The kancelár, who was looking on at the work his king was doing, commented: ‘Seems a little far-fetched to me. Not that I was there, of course, but…’

Vojtech asked: ‘How credible is this legend?’

2021_07_06_112a.png
2021_07_06_118a.png

‘I have not been able to track the first-hand source of it,’ the elderly monk owned. ‘Personally I would be moved not to include it. History is an icon—a work of human hands that is meant to reflect, and mirror, the acts of God in the world. Embellishing it with additions and inventions of our own… I would be moved to call it a sinful and arrogant presumption.’

Vojtech looked over the source that Miloš was showing him. ‘And so the lover of words, the prince of Olomouc, knelt and gave humble thanks to God, and moved the right-believing armies of the Moravians and of Borić of Bosna through the very cleft of the mountain into the lands of the heathen. The seams of ore and precious white metal gleaming in the depths of the mountain caught the eye of the najatí, and they were heard to exclaim: “The word of the Moravians is silver!” The heathen, having been shown this wonder of God which had shaken the very foundations of their fastness, trembled in the depths of their hearts, and they fled before Bohodar…

The king sighed. ‘It is a lovely legend, but if you can find no other attestation of this wonder, I will relent and yield to your wisdom on this. Still, see to it that a more factual account of the battle is included… and keep the adage from the Bosnian najatí about how “the word of the Moravians is silver”! I know of that saying from elsewhere, and this could very well be its origin.’

‘Milord is most wise,’ Miloš bowed deeply, hiding his forehead and eyes beneath the hood of his cassock.

2021_07_06_114a.png

When it came to illustrating the work that Miloš was transcribing at last, he recommended another monk who had taken vows in the Monastery of the Transfiguration in Veselí near Tábor in the south of Bohemia. This brother was gifted in preparing and grinding out many different colours of powdered dye, and applying them to vellum in fine, even layers to produce dazzling illuminations. Dipping into the funds that the Patriarch in Constantinople had provided him, the Kráľ sent at once for Brother Andrej.

Brother Andrej worked shoulder-to-shoulder alongside Brother Miloš. One monk prepared and inked the manuscript of the chronicle, and the other added the intricate, careful illustrations along the margins and within the large lettering at the beginning of each section. Watching these two experts work together was a wonder for the Kráľ to behold!

~~~​

It was on the Feast of Pascha in the Year of the World 6711 when the completed work, simply titled Kronika, was revealed in its completion to a humbled and grateful Kráľ. (In later days, it would come to be called the Budinský letopis, after the town of the monk who had scribed it.) Here it was: the fruition of nearly two lifetimes’ worth of work, Bohodar 3. Letopisár’s and Vojtech’s, and given both a splendid artistry and an imprimatur of holiness through the labours of the hand of two monastics of undisputed devotion and purity of life. The book was bound in black leather, encrusted with yellow gold and studded with smooth, gleaming cabuchons of obsidian. The sign of the Holy Cross had been placed on the cover, as indeed had the roaring Rychnovský lion rampant.

Vojtech clasped the priceless book to him with a pair of awestruck, trembling hands—suddenly feeling within its bindings the entire weight of over three hundred years of history, connecting him to the mighty trunk of the Rychnovský tree that had been planted so many generations ago by a young Slavic swain and his Swabian bride.

2021_07_06_119a.png

‘Is it not beautiful, Slávka?’ murmured the awestruck king to his own wife.

‘God indeed blesses the labour,’ Kostislava hugged him fondly from the side, as she opened the front cover and traced a hand down the side of the first page, with its sprawling sprays of leaves, tintings of mountain peaks, tiny figures of zbrojnošov in colourful tunics standing outside a miniature town behind a two-inch-long wooden stockade—all painstakingly etched, inked and illuminated.

Miloš made plans to return to his monastery and igumen after the days of Bright Week had ended. However, the Kráľ found it difficult to part from the man who had been the prop and mainstay, over the last six months, of seeing the work his father had begun and to which he himself had contributed so much spring to life before his eyes.

‘Must you truly leave us?’ asked the king.

‘I swore my vows to God for life,’ Miloš pointed out to the king. ‘To the world I am nothing more than blowing dust… it is only beneath the rule of my igumen that I live and breathe.’

Vojtech shook his head with sadness. Both he and Miloš were old. If he were to say something foolish, such as ‘perhaps if God wills it, the two of us shall meet again in this life’, he would have been sensible at once of its trifling vanity. This was indeed farewell. The king spread his arms wide and fathomed the monk close, with deep affection, before seeing him out of the courtyard and down the path into town… along which path he would return to the cloistered life.

And yet it was a joyful sadness, one in which both men parted on terms of something like kinship, even brotherhood.

2021_07_06_120a.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Successions are rocky times. So far this is going well. Though you've laid some hints of possible trouble.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Bohodar was a remarkable King, he will leave future monarchs with big shoes to fill. I'm glad his book was finished with the expertise it deserved. As for the here and now, it's good to hear about Saint Budimír of the Crozier, it is long past time someone took steps to stamp out the plague of nudity in the Kingdom!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Unusual for self, but have fast-read the aforementioned four chapters through the weekend, then sneak-peeked around the remaining up to the interlude; have to comment on the end.

It is great to meet you finally, Czenzi.
If she has also pearly hairs, then there will be also the chance of a beautiful song for the story too. Álmodtam vagy igaz talán.
(However, the pearly hair song reference is one which rather eludes me...)
Not sure if the reference is eluding the taste, or if it is due to being unknown; regardless, will bid the farewell with it. For the case of the latter, it will provide the reference, else in the case of the former, then it will serve to insist on the charm of the song, as it fits the beautiful narrative.

The twenty-second day of October, in the year of the world 6702, was the darkest of Botta’s life. He awoke to find his heart torn out of him… for his wife, his childhood playmate, his beloved, his queen-consort and the prop of his rule, Czenzi, had ceased breathing during the night. She had passed her seventy-second summer.

Twenty days afterward, after the hunt had been concluded and all of them were safely back in Olomouc, Kráľ Bohodar passed away—shriven and at peace with all.
So became the Earth and the Sky one,
Green with blue, as always. [*]

Farewell Czenzi; farewell Botta.

[*]

Kudos.

[*] Lyrics from Gyöngyhajú lány (Girl with Pearly Hair) of the album 10000 lépés by Omega (1969). Personal translation from hungarian into english. Link to the song, published by the official account of the group.

• 2Love
Reactions:
Just caught up. Did Botta and Czenzi ever leave their mark! I think they've been the most wholly lovable royal pair in the series so far. From what I see of the interludes, posterity seems to agree.

One thing Moravia's largely been blessed to avoid, even in periods of civil strife, is succession crises and brothers' wars. I suppose it'll stay that way for the next few years at least.

Thanks for another religious map. Interesting how well the Norse gods seem to have clung on in parts of Scandinavia and, uhm, elsewhere.

[*] Lyrics from Gyöngyhajú lány (Girl with Pearly Hair) of the album 10000 lépés by Omega (1969). Personal translation from hungarian into english. Link to the song, published by the official account of the group.
Such a gorgeous song. Discovered it myself sometime in the last year and it pops into my head at odd hours of the day. Right up there with what the Velvet Underground was doing around the same time.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Book Four Chapter Thirty-Two
Thank you, @Midnite Duke, @Idhrendur, @Cromwell, @filcat and @Knud_den_Store for the comments! I appreciate you all!

Nice little tale. Vojtech did not get too far into his cups. Kostislava is a scholar that probably had many spirited conversations with her father-law. Thank you for the update.

Yes, Vojtech managed to hold his liquor this time. We also haven't heard the last of Kostislava by any stretch!

Successions are rocky times. So far this is going well. Though you've laid some hints of possible trouble.

/chuckles evilly in authAAR

Oh, we haven't seen anything yet.

Bohodar was a remarkable King, he will leave future monarchs with big shoes to fill. I'm glad his book was finished with the expertise it deserved. As for the here and now, it's good to hear about Saint Budimír of the Crozier, it is long past time someone took steps to stamp out the plague of nudity in the Kingdom!

Will say no more here, but sometimes even kings need to be given a good strong backhand.

Unusual for self, but have fast-read the aforementioned four chapters through the weekend, then sneak-peeked around the remaining up to the interlude; have to comment on the end.

Not sure if the reference is eluding the taste, or if it is due to being unknown; regardless, will bid the farewell with it. For the case of the latter, it will provide the reference, else in the case of the former, then it will serve to insist on the charm of the song, as it fits the beautiful narrative.

[*]

Kudos.

Will give it a right proper listen later, but this one is very likely going straight onto my Filcat Playlist in iTunes (right alongside Eluveitie and Firewind and Judas Priest's 'Turbo Lover'!).

Just caught up. Did Botta and Czenzi ever leave their mark! I think they've been the most wholly lovable royal pair in the series so far. From what I see of the interludes, posterity seems to agree.

One thing Moravia's largely been blessed to avoid, even in periods of civil strife, is succession crises and brothers' wars. I suppose it'll stay that way for the next few years at least.

Thanks for another religious map. Interesting how well the Norse gods seem to have clung on in parts of Scandinavia and, uhm, elsewhere.

Such a gorgeous song. Discovered it myself sometime in the last year and it pops into my head at odd hours of the day. Right up there with what the Velvet Underground was doing around the same time.

They certainly were among the great ones. Not the greatest in the usual world-historical terms (like Pravoslav or Eustach or a couple of the later kings), but certainly among the most lovable, yes. I found it a fun challenge to play as a pacifist king: it's doable, though at the inevitable cost of a LOT of gold and some fame points.

But now it is time for...

THIRTY-TWO
Darkness, Drink and Rheumatism
2 August 1202 – 22 August 1203

2021_07_06_116a.png

Nothingness and void was all there was. Blackness there was not, for none was there to sense even the absence of light. Pure, formless and without depth or length, nothing floated buoyantly and without care upon a boundless ocean of even more nothing. But something was there, made itself known. Something tickled and gnawed—then it turned into a ring of searing fire, which shot bolts of white-hot agony up his leg and into his spine. Pain etched itself across the unconscious mind and left a smouldering trail of self-awareness. He had a spine. He had a leg. But below the ring of pain he could feel nothing.

Kráľ Vojtech’s eyelids, however—these too, he became aware of from the pain—refused to oblige him. He was still under the Lethean spell of the poppies whose liquor he had taken prior to his treatments… though that was warring with a primal alarum deep inside him that blared at the scent of smoke and charred human flesh.

‘He stirs,’ came a roust at his side—as though from afar off, through a heavy mist. ‘Vojta! Milý môj! Easy, now… easy…’

‘It’s too soon,’ fretted another roust. ‘It’s still too soon.’

‘No—you can’t give him more of your poppy syrup,’ came the first voice. Familiar. Welcome as sweet wine. Yes, that was Kostislava’s. ‘Any more of it, and you might put him to sleep for good!’

‘Don’t tell me how to do my job,’ snapped the second voice. Something yoked together like a wagon to a hitch in Vojtech’s drifting mind. That must be Božena.

‘Your job,’ Kostislava laughed. The tone of that laugh stirred up worry somewhere deep in the Kráľ’s subconscious. He knew his wife well enough to know that for a laugh of scorn. ‘Your job was to help ease the rheumatism in my husband’s feet… not to remove one of them.’

‘That couldn’t be helped,’ Božena hissed back.

Vojtech strained the lightest muscles in his face, and was rewarded with… light. Light in a translucent red fog. Light… and more pain. An involuntary groan escaped his lips.

‘Easy, easy,’ came Kostislava’s voice again, milder this time. ‘Don’t try to move too quickly.’

2021_07_06_117b.png

Vojtech made an almighty effort and wrenched his eyes open to the agonising light. Amid the too-brilliant shapes and impressions that swam in and out of his line of sight, a single one came into focus. Kostislava’s face was looking down at him—but despite her smile, there was a strange expression on it, as though she were looking down at a ghost or a revenant. And as this registered with him, so too did the realisation that the pain in his leg had not subsided.

He looked down the length of his body, and found to his sickening horror that one of his legs was now only about half as long as the other—and that it didn’t end in anything that might be called a proper foot, but instead a stump. The skin had been stretched over it and cauterised with burning. That accounted for the stench. But the sight, moreso than the smell, very nearly caused Vojtech to retch. He had taken the tincture while he was still a man whole, and now he was missing a limb!

‘How… how did this happen?’

‘I… I tried to use a hollow reed to locally inject your inflamed foot with a new herbal mixture, and used the prayers for healing,’ Božena wrung her hands, a little ashamed. ‘But it became even worse, swelled up to twice its normal size. I had to amputate the possessed limb before it spread. But the inflammation in your good foot went down completely.’

It didn’t make any sense to Vojtech, and he was speechless. But his wife and friend held his hand throughout. She wasn’t about to abandon him now.

2021_07_06_117a.png

~~~​

In truth, Vojtech might well have been able to handle the loss of a leg, in time. He easily got used to the wooden replacement and was walking about on it in short order. All might have been well if it hadn’t been for another issue that struck his court not long after he was up and about. And the cause turned out to be another of his troublesome sons.

‘Father!’ called Zubrivoj from across the hall, striding toward Vojtech and then throwing himself down on his face before him. ‘I have done wrong—but please, show mercy!’

‘Zubrivoj?’ asked the king. ‘What is this? Come, show your face to me! You need not fear, my son—whatever wrong you have done, repentance and recompence can be made. And at the very least, you know that I shall forgive you.’

Zubrivoj lifted his head only with reluctance, and his face was screwed up with deep mortification. Vojtech wondered what the boy could have done that was so terrible that he couldn’t bring himself to face his own father. At long last his son spoke.

‘Father… I have sired a child outside of lawful bounds.’

A horrible dread struck at the king’s heart. ‘Who is the mother?’

There was a long pause that only lasted the space of several heartbeats, but which seemed to stretch to months and years for the king, before Zubrivoj opened his mouth again. ‘The mother is my aunt: Aunt Blažena. Hrabě Sokol, her husband, I fear already suspects that I am the true father of their daughter, Slavenka.’

2021_07_06_124a.png
2021_07_06_125a.png

‘Which, in truth, you are,’ his father sighed.

‘Father… I’m sorry. I don’t know what to say. She was just so… so…’

He couldn’t even get the words out, but it was clear to a doting father like Vojtech that Zubrivoj had been struggling with this unholy incestuous temptation for a long time before he had given into it.

‘Very well, Zubrivoj. Very well. You shall be safe from Hrabě Sokol’s wrath in my court. We shall see what can be done for your aunt and daughter as well. But you must still make restitution.’

Zubrivoj bowed, his whole aspect still miserable. But he wasn’t as miserable as Vojtech himself.

2021_07_06_126a.png

Where had he gone wrong? The question kept going around and around in his head, and he couldn’t drive it off. What had he done wrong in Zubrivoj’s upbringing, to have so completely missed the attraction between nephew and aunt, so that he might have done something about it before it had borne fruit? He had compiled so much of the family history—how could he not have known this might have happened? Had he been so blinded by affection for his son that he couldn’t even see it? Had he lived so long in his father’s shadow, avoiding his responsibilities, that he had allowed this grave sin to fester unknown and unseen? And how did this bode for his rule as king? What business did he have on a throne, when he had failed so spectacularly as a father?

Unfortunately, Vojtech’s answer to this question came, not from God, but from the liquid devil.

Seeking to stupefy his doubts and regrets with a potion whose effects could hopefully mirror Božena’s poppy tincture to a lesser effect, Vojtech spent much of his time in the wine-cellar, alone with his miseries and with the unwatered draught in which he sought to drown them.

2021_07_06_127a.png

Vojtech passed many miserable days in this way, drunk out of his wits, before at last he was discovered. It was Kostislava who propped him up and let him hobble on his good leg out of the cellar, and provided him with a basin and a comfortable mattress, as well as her usual hangover remedy. And when the rage took him, she let him blow over without a word.

‘You ought to have trusted me,’ Kostislava chided her husband after he had laid bare his failings to her. ‘It isn’t your fault, the way Zubrivoj behaved. He is a grown man, who should know right from wrong. Do we fault Eve and Adam rather than ourselves, for the sins we all must bear?’

‘No,’ Vojtech—a good Orthodox and a follower of Saint John Cassian—owned. ‘We don’t.’

‘You,’ Kostislava held Vojta’s hands, ‘are a good friend and a good husband. A good man. And—if you’ll give yourself the chance—a good king.’

‘Do you think so?’

‘I know so,’ said his wife.

2021_07_06_129a.png
2021_07_06_128a.png

Kostislava was not the only one to offer support to the king. Knieža Dani, the king’s uncle, having learned of his family problems and of the difficulties which attended his rule, sent one of his most trusted courtiers to the royal court to assist the king. Uta, an East Frank with an unfortunate scarring of the skin from a disease she’d suffered in her infancy, was nonetheless a highly capable administrator and record-keeper, and it was clear that Dani meant the best for his nephew’s rule.

It was not, unfortunately, enough. The old rheumatic complaint resurfaced—and this time, there was no recovery from it that Božena or anyone else could effect. Kráľ Vojtech 1. passed into his eternal rest on the twenty-second of August, in the Year of the World 6712. His body was borne in state, with as much dignity as could be afforded him, to Velehrad, where he was committed to the earth. He was attended by his widow, by his uncle Dani, and by four of his sons—Bohodar, Svätoslav, Zubrivoj and Zvonimír—on the way to the old royal city.

But there was no heir present at Velehrad. Although he was sent for, Želimír was not present for his father’s funeral, but rather in Eger. And he did not present himself at Velehrad Cathedral to be anointed as king. It was an ill omen, for a kingdom to be without a proper king.

2021_07_06_130a.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Well, here comes the crisis.

Reactions:
We did not get the five with Vojtech. Will we have three decades of Zelimir showing his studly chest and his hottie wife showing her little bits? How do the other boys and momma like Zelimir having more important things than saying farewell to his father? Thank you

Reactions:
Book Four Chapter Thirty-Three
Well, here comes the crisis.

We did not get the five with Vojtech. Will we have three decades of Zelimir showing his studly chest and his hottie wife showing her little bits? How do the other boys and momma like Zelimir having more important things than saying farewell to his father? Thank you

A very good prediction, @Idhrendur! And, @Midnite Duke, no, indeed: the others in the line of succession do not like this Adamite coming into his title. We may or may not have said rulers showing their stuff for this whole time, we shall see...

The Reign of Želimír, Kráľ of Veľká Morava
2021_07_06_133a.png

THIRTY-THREE
Carnal Chastisement
22 August 1203 – 20 October 1203

The bishop Budimír, dressed in his kamilavka, klobuk and omophor, swooped like a great raven across the bailey and into the castle keep, with the end of his crozier hammering a dread rhythm as he went. His black robes billowing about him as he walked, the black features of this member of the black clergy burned with black anger—honest though it was. The apparition of this black angel of God’s righteous wrath in the Moravian court caused all before him to tremble with awe and dread.

The royal guards, quaking in their boots, made a half-hearted attempt to head him off as he approached the throne.

‘Stand aside,’ Budimír spoke.

Trembling with fear and awe of the bishop, the two royal guards parted from the path he indicated with his crozier, as surely as the waters of the Red Sea parted for the staff of Moses.

2021_07_06_131a.png

Now the bishop stood face-to-face with the new Kráľ of Moravia, clad only in a homespun tunic as he sat on his throne. His father’s throne: the throne that had been bought and built with the blood and sweat of thousands of honest, virtuous, right-believing Orthodox men and women. And the king which now sat upon it was not Orthodox. He had been completely naked at his coronation. And he had joined in the filthy rites of the Gnostics the very day afterward.

For a single moment, the Orthodox bishop and the young Kráľ Želimír regarded each other. And then the Orthodox bishop, his black-featured face impassive, reached out a hand and dragged the king bodily by the front of the tunic out of his throne and onto the planks of the floor.

The king cried out in pain, rage and surprise as the bishop began suddenly to thrash him with his crozier. Budimír walloped the king again and again about the shoulders, chest and back with the symbol of his office. The royal guards stood rooted to the spot, looking on in bewilderment at the sight of a middle-aged monk assailing and battering the earthly lord to whom they had sworn fealty. Yet the guards were Orthodox themselves—they did not dare risk their souls’ damnation by laying hands on a holy man.

‘Ow! Stop! Help—guards! Crazy old man—stop it! What—? Why—?’

‘As though you don’t know!’ the bishop scolded him harshly, his crozier still falling with heavy blows upon the king’s body, prone beneath him on the floor of the throne room. ‘As though yesterday you weren’t flaunting your nakedness shamelessly in the streets! As though you didn’t dance about like a brute beast around the blasted heretics’ bonfire! As though you haven’t blasphemed your marriage! As though you haven’t befouled your body with adultery and wickedness in full view of the heretics’ assembly! Are you a king? Or are you a swine?!’

2021_07_06_134b.png

‘Hey—! By God, we children of Adam don’t limit ourselves to—!’

Anathema!’ shouted Budimír, smashing his crozier soundly across the king’s skull with a loud crack. ‘To invoke the name of the Almighty Creator and in the same breath give voice to the Gnostics’ vile poison! Hold your filthy tongue before it sends you and the whole of your kingdom into perdition!’

‘It’s what we believe!’ came Želimír’s voice from the floor. ‘It isn’t adultery! Živka would just as well—!’

‘Živka? Your wife?!’ cried the bishop, stepping on the hem of the king’s tunic to prevent him from crawling away and continuing to let his crozier descend upon the hapless young man. ‘The woman you married—the Burgomistress of Jáger? Although she led you into the error of the Gnostics and must repent, the poor soul to whom you joined yourself by Orthodox vows—since she married you she has not once joined in your obscene fire dances, nor yoked herself together with any other man!’

2021_07_06_132a.png

‘How do you know that?’

‘You think there are no right believers left in Jáger, you fool?!’ Budimír snarled. ‘You think there are no priests with eyes?! You defile yourself in indulgence with harlots under the open air in the presence of many witnesses. Your wickedness is known to all! You think there are no men there who would bear witness before God, if your wife ever once did the same? Many come to me swearing that Živana of Jáger bares every inch of her naked body to the eye, in procession with the heretics. Yet the heretics complain that never once has she let any man draw near her. Any man save you, you ungrateful viper!’

‘Is that… is that true?’

Budimír ceased in his tirade, and regarded the youngster beneath him. Was he truly so paranoid of his own wife that he couldn’t imagine her being loyal? He shook his head sadly. ‘It is your own sin that blinds you. That poor woman in Jáger, mired in sins of the intellect, abuses her body with her wanton displays. And yet somehow she still obeys the seventh commandment of the Lord with it, in her love for you. And only you do not know it!’

Želimír glared up at the bishop who had beaten him. His eyes only connected for a moment. But in that moment the new king understood the sacrifice that his wife had made for him—and felt in that same moment how unworthy he was of it. That knowledge, the knowledge of his own unworthiness, was worse even than the pain of the blows from the crozier—even than the one upon his head.

‘What—what shall I do?’

Budimír’s voice became gentle. ‘My Kráľ—do what every sinner should do. Humble yourself. Confess. Repent. Return to the Church. Fast. Pray.’

~~~

2021_07_06_138a.png

Kráľ Želimír did not join another fire-dance of the Adamites. Nor did he lie with any other woman, despite no less notable a personage as Pernette Karling-Nancy making him an offer. So deeply was he ashamed of his sin that he could not bring himself near her. And now indeed he was aware of it as sin. All that summer, however, he dithered on whether or not to rejoin the faith of his fathers and of his childhood.

It was true that there were immediate political benefits to him, if he would become Orthodox again. For one thing, his entire council save for Saul (his court chaplain) were of the ancient faith. So indeed were all of his lands. There was no question that his rule would be made easier by reconverting, and the likelihood of an uprising would be lessened. And then there was also the patronage of the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre to consider. Regaining the familial honour that had been handed down from the days of Kráľ Pravoslav was indeed a tempting prospect.

2021_07_06_132b.png

At the same time, it had been Živana, his wife, who had caused him to apostasise from the Orthodox faith in the first place. He had done so out of affection for her. The irony wasn’t lost on him that the faith he’d joined for her sake had ended up betraying that same affection… but there it was.

The new Kráľ resolved—with both the physical aches from Budimír’s blows still upon him and the deeper ache of the heart caused by Budimír’s shaming words and his own sins—to return from Olomouc to Jáger, the better to make a decision whether or not to quit the Gnostic circles, and rejoin the Orthodox faith. And he needed to be open and honest with Živka about what she expected from him. He owed at least that much to her. He hadn’t counted on her being as firm and as loyal as she was.

2021_07_06_138b.png

The Kráľ made the determination at last to return to the congregation of the right-believing, only when he found himself struck by a snowball, thrown by his second daughter Magdaléna. It had been a cool summer and a cold autumn, and the first lasting snows had fallen in mid-October that year. Magdaléna had been playing with her siblings in the Olomouc courtyard when her missile landed straight against the side of the king’s head.

With enthusiasm the king joined in the fray. But the incident left him with a strange feeling. The virtuous woman who had been possessed by seven demons, who had become the closest among the women disciples of the Lord, and who had been the first to witness the Resurrection—she had been the one for whom Živana had named their daughter. He remembered the legend that Mary of Magdala had gone to Rome for a feast held by the Emperor Tiberius, and had proclaimed the risen Christ by turning a snow-white egg blood-red at the touch of her fingers on a dare from the disbelieving Emperor. Strangely enough, this reflection was the final piece that drove Želimír to return to the church door.

Before he left for Jáger, he went to Budimír to confess his sins and be absolved. But for his apostasy the Kráľ was given a hard penance of three years before he was allowed to return to the Chalice to partake of the Gifts. When he met Živana again, he resolved to meet her devotion with a renewed one of his own…

2021_07_06_135a.png
2021_07_06_136b.png

2021_07_06_137a.png

2021_07_06_136a.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions: