• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Map post time!

EUROPE AT THE END OF THE REIGN OF PRISNEC 1. RYCHNOVSKÝ

2021_07_01_45b.png

Moravia is currently within the desired 1919 borders of the First Czechoslovak Republic (with a slice of Upper Silesia on the side)...

2021_07_01_45c.png

Also, Western Europe seems to be slowly but surely defragmenting. England is still an everloving mess. Cherven Cities still annoyingly large. But what's this?

2021_07_01_45d.png

The Byzantine Empire is cracking apart from the inside. The Despotate of Thessalonika now appears to be independent. Ominous...

Reactions:
Lovely updates! Thanks in particular for the religious and cultural maps. For all its rebellions, Moravia must be the most stable kingdom in Europe. Or maybe its distinct and merciful lack of bordergore is skewing my perception.

Religious dynamics have always been my main gripe with Paradox games - the conversion speed (now there's a setting in CK2 that chills that out, not sure about CK3), the all-or-nothing province religion setting, the amount of pagan-on-pagan conversion... but maybe I'm just short on imagination. In any case, I'm curious as to what practices besides the different reckoning of the date of Easter would characterize the Insular rite by now, especially since with the spread on the continent it'd have to be more than a matter of regional flavour!

Reactions:
The Byzantine Empire is cracking apart from the inside. The Despotate of Thessalonika now appears to be independent. Ominous...
For the sake of the run of the game, here rooting for the despotate of thessalonika, and why not also for the despots and the dux of caucasus; hopefully the alans, the armenians, the georgians will also rise up against the purple-blob of the run (keeping the enthusiasm as if not have read the future of the political-situation in The Thin Wedge of Europe).

Religious dynamics have always been my main gripe with Paradox games - the conversion speed (now there's a setting in CK2 that chills that out, not sure about CK3), the all-or-nothing province religion setting, the amount of pagan-on-pagan conversion... but maybe I'm just short on imagination.
Nope, your imagination is just fine; concurring that it is one of the four mechanics, which are still in the stone age in terms of the game-designs, even though the pdx games can be considered far beyond in the design-level when compared to any other.

• 2Love
Reactions:
Trio Mandili is pure tight-harmonic Kavkaz angelicism. Cheers!

Reactions:
Book Four Chapter Fourteen
The Reign of Radomír 2. Rychnovský, Kráľ of Veľká Morava

2021_07_01_47a.png

FOURTEEN
Scent of Orchids
23 October 1146 – 25 June 1148

2021_07_01_46a.png
2021_07_01_57b.png

Alswit Wulfgifusdohtor, now Queen-Consort of Veľká Morava, had always enjoyed collecting plants. Perhaps it was the fact that she’d been born on a far North Sea island which was very nearly devoid of plant life, or perhaps it was the fact that her father-in-law had been an avid gardener and herbalist himself. The slender-but-tough Anglo-Færoese woman cherished Prisnec’s careful tending and arrangements, and it seemed that his garden was always full of surprises. It was always a delight for her to find the new blossoms of a flower which she hadn’t yet seen before, and such delights were not rare in a garden as deftly cared for as that on the royal estates in Olomouc.

She passed by a certain tree, from which was anchored a rare Asian betilla orchid which her husband, Kráľ Radomír, had obtained for her from the town of Spytihněv. She chuckled to herself a bit at the remembrance of it. The flowers, though they were somewhat picky about maintenance, had taken well to their transplanting, and Alswit made sure they were carefully attended. The blossoms, which had just opened with a fresh fragrance both light and sweet, would make for excellent pressing in due season!

2021_07_01_55a.png

2021_07_01_51a.png
2021_07_01_48a.png

Radomír had always been a good friend to her. He’d always had her back, just as she’d had his. That had been so ever since they were children growing up together. Marriage, and three children, hadn’t really changed that much between them—except that now they had Botta’s, Katka’s and Dani’s interests to look out for between them, and that had brought them even closer together. It had gratified Alswit to see Botta conversing so closely with Rado at this past feast just gone by. Even though the two sometimes butted heads in the past (particularly over Czenzi—who had been Prisnec’s choice, and not Rado’s, of Botta’s bride), they were more alike than either would be likely to admit: both being perfectionists, both being a bit sullen and introverted. It was also comforting to Alswit to see Katarína comfortably married and settled. She much preferred cold climates to warm ones, so it was a good thing she was marrying that Geatish lad Adalvard.

But now… it seemed somehow that since being anointed and sceptred at Velehrad, Rado had become more attentive. Tenderer. The orchids had been only one small token of his renewed interest. There was also that time he’d recited an English folk song for her—in a rather atrocious accent, but it was still endearing. And then there was the literature, which appealed to Alswit’s scholarly heart. And then there was that memorable hunt he’d taken her on, in the Ore Mountains… Large and small, Radomír’s romantic gestures had not been wasted. Alswit found herself looking forward each evening to Radomír’s return. She found herself eagerly invested in conversation with him. She had even occasionally caught herself looking in her husband’s direction when he wasn’t looking.

2021_07_01_54a.png
2021_07_01_57a.png
2021_07_01_58a.png
2021_07_01_79a.png

But then came the day that every new king in Moravia anticipated with dread.

Knieža Dušan Mikulčický of Nitra—whose antecedents had all laboured under the delusion that the Moravian crown was theirs by right of descent from Queen Bratromila—had fled the court and raised an army against Alswit’s husband. Of course Radomír had to take to the field and leave her behind. But he didn’t do so before coming to visit her in the gardens.

‘I will be back,’ Radomír had told her, twining his hands in hers, and giving her that deep gaze that she knew belonged to her alone. ‘Alive. I promise you, as a friend.’

‘And as a friend? I will hold you to that,’ Alswit told him, placing her hands sadly on her husband’s broad shoulders. Then she gave a disgusted shake of her head. ‘God’s wounds, when will these uprisings cease? I had hoped that Prisnec’s efforts would put an end to that!’

Radomir shook his head sadly. ‘Greed, ambition, jealousy… I’m afraid no number of projects adding to Olomouc’s landscape can excise these things from the human heart.’

2021_07_01_61a.png
2021_07_01_62a.png

Then she saw that there was a look in Radomír’s eyes – one which she didn’t like at all.

‘You’re taking Bohodar with you,’ she narrowed her own gaze at him.

‘He is an adult—a man,’ Radomír told his wife bracingly. ‘He is a Moravian of hathel birth. One day, he too will be king. His hand was made to wield the blade; and his place is in the saddle, directing the zbrojnošov! And the sooner he learns how to do that well, the better.’

Alswit shook her head slowly. ‘Botta is not a fighter; you know that as well as I do! If he were to follow in the gifts that God gave him, he would be a great scholar or a philosopher or a poet—but not a fighter. And so, that promise I had from you—double that promise I will have for our Botta. Bring him back alive and well!’

‘That I will also swear,’ Radomír held her close. ‘As a friend—and more.’

In another part of Olomouc Castle, Czenzi was grinning radiantly as she beheld Bohodar arrayed in his tabard, mail and helmet, with his blade at his side and his shield in his off hand. Looking him up and down, she saw before her nothing less than a paladin of legend: a pure and noble knight of the Moravian realm. ‘I knew it.’

‘Knew what?’ asked Bohodar, oblivious to the excellences that presented themselves to his wife’s eye.

Czenzi gave a low, secret laugh. ‘Never mind—only return to me laden with honours and glory.’

‘With my shield or on it?’ Bohodar’s beardless lip quirked upwards.

‘With it, preferably,’ Czenzi told him, sidling up to him and twining her arms around his shoulders. She already knew well how perfectly she would fit there, but that didn’t stop her from enjoying Botta’s embrace.

When at last he reluctantly and stickily broke away from his wife’s embrace, she accompanied him all the way down to the courtyard, and she stood together with her mother-in-law. Alswit and Czenzi together watched as their respective husbands departed for the field—and although their feelings for the men they had married were much the same, their attitudes regarding their goal were quite different. Alswit’s eyes were full of the worry that accompanies every mother that sees her son off to battle, knowing he might not come back. Czenzi’s—of the surety of her gallant young husband’s righteous victory, and of the certainty of his return.

~~~

2021_07_01_49a.png
2021_07_01_49b.png
2021_07_01_65a.png

Given who Botta Rychnovský’s mother was, the lad’s first face-to-face meeting with Danish mercenaries—not to mention the men of Bergslagen, who had come south from Geatland for his sister Katka’s sake—was humorous and ironic in roughly equal measure. The Væringjar of Micklegarth, who were led by Vjačeslav Foringi, were a fearsome and rowdy bunch. Botta was quite forthrightly appalled by their seeming lack of discipline.

‘Father, these men are drunkards, thieves, bandits and worse! Are you entirely sure that His All-Holiness hasn’t pulled a fast one on us by sending us these… highwaymen?’

Radomír gave his son a slow smile. ‘Ah, but you haven’t seen them in action yet, Botta. The severané may be a bit… looser in their command structure than we are. But they honour Christ the same way we do now, at least. And they keep their place in a line of battle far better than most of our zbrojnošov do. Having seen the Væringjar in action myself—I tell you, Botta—Moravia got its money’s worth and more.’

Bohodar shrugged, as though to say: I’ll believe it when I see it. ‘Very well, Father. But… then there’s Dalibor.’

‘What about Dalibor?’ asked Radomír calmly.

2021_07_01_59b.png

Botta drew in a deep breath, as he seemed to swell up in pure umbrage. It was practically an insult to be in the same room talking strategy with a Rychnovský-Kluczbork, especially one who had Dalibor’s reputation. To be truthful, it was something of an insult to Bohodar even to share the same surname as Dalibor: a preening, smirking, skulking, mincing wretch… the sort of good-for-nothing who probably trapped stray cats from back alleys and flayed them slowly just to watch them howl and scream.

‘Father—he doesn’t belong here. To be frank with you, he belongs in a fonsel.’

‘I agree,’ said his father equably.

Bohodar was taken aback.

‘I—I don’t understand…’

‘Our friend Ladina Rychnovská-Nisa brought certain affairs to my knowledge regarding our dear kinsman,’ Radomír told him confidentially. ‘Affairs that he assuredly wouldn’t want reaching other ears than mine. And so I’ve kept our friend Dalibor on a tight leash. A very tight leash. The sort that kept him from running off to join Dušan’s cause. He may not be your idea of good company; nor is he mine. But you know the old adage: udržujte svojich priateľov blízko... a nepriateľov bližšie. That is true, even in... maybe even especially in... a war like this one.’

2021_07_01_59a.png
2021_07_01_60a.png

Bohodar shook his head with a smile and a chuckle of mild disbelief. Governing a kingdom was clearly a more delicate matter than he’d assumed. When to strike hard in the open, and when to use the more subtle prod of the goad or the hidden knife… these were part of an art in which Bohodar still felt himself utterly out of his depth.

The Moravian valley was under attack from two sides: on the right bank by the Bohemians in revolt, and on the left bank by Nitra and Užhorod. As a result, most of the action in this war had taken place not far from home. The battle near Milokošť on the edge of the Vizovice had been valiantly joined by the king’s uncle Tomáš—who had held off the Nitran advance until reinforcements arrived, and even placed his own body in the shield-wall in order to hold the Nitrans off from entering the Morava watershed. The former Brother of the Holy Sepulchre had fallen in that battle, just as the reinforcements had arrived from the north. And then there had been the engagement near Boleslav. Zelimír Rychnovsky had lost an eye in that battle—taken by Árpád Tvrdomil, who had fallen in the same battle not long afterward.

2021_07_01_69a.png
2021_07_01_76a.png

And now the Moravian army was camped along the Bečva at only three miles’ remove from the walls of Přerov. The Nitrans and the men of Užhorod had aligned themselves in an attempt to beset the town and the fastening both, only to be intercepted here by the King’s men. Although his father didn’t let it show, Bohodar could tell that Kráľ Radomír was worried. The Nitrans had come too close to Olomouc.

Bohodar gripped the pommel of the sword at his side. This was nothing at all like the personal contest against Büzir-Üzünköl in the camp at Szarka. The safety of Czenzi, and of his mother, and of those he loved dearest—all were on the line here. And he did not want even the shadows of this war’s horrors, even the slim fraction that he had seen so far, to come anywhere close to those he loved. And all of a sudden, he could understand why his father had hired the Væringjar and called upon the severané of Bergslagen—or even a peevish blackguard like Dalibor. If it were up to him, he would place every body he could, not least of all his own, between his Czenzi and harm.

~~~​

The lines shaped up on either side. At the moment, the Moravian Army was only half the strength of the rebels’. But it was not Dušan’s banner which flew—but instead Slavomíra Bijelahrvatskića’s, the kňažná of Užhorod.

Bohodar took up his place at the head of the left flank. The lines on his side were worryingly thin. He crossed himself and prayed to Jesus to have mercy upon him. Now truly did he regret his rash words to his father about the Væringjar! Drunkards, brawlers and thieves they might be… but he would gladly sell the Danubian mare between his legs to have their shield-wall at his side now.

The blast of the horn sounded and echoed over the Bečva flowing to their side, and the shields of the men in front came up to ward off the first volley from the opposing side. The black swarm of airborne death swooped down upon the King’s men, pummelling and cracking down upon the Moravian timber. The cries of several wounded reached Bohodar’s ears under the deadly rain—several dark holes were punched among the ranks where men had fallen. But the line held firm.

And then the armies began to move forward, both at once. Bohodar spurred his horse forward and held up one gauntleted hand to the ensign bearing the signal vanes. He didn’t want to strike too precipitously. When they were at a (however temporary) disadvantage of numbers like this, timing could make all the difference for them between victory and rout.

The devices of the red bear upon the shields opposite them became clear to Bohodar’s eyes. He clenched his fist and lowered his arm. The red signal vane went up, and the Moravians leapt into a full charge at his order. Matching each other stride for stride, just as in training, the many-pincered wall of spears closed the gap between themselves and the Užhorodian line and met it with an almighty crunch. Bohodar himself charged into the mêlée with his blade out and flashing in swooping arcs, and the solid tonne of angry horseflesh underneath him wading between the shafts of spears.

2021_07_01_80a.png
2021_07_01_81a.png

He was not the only nobleman to be seen on the field. Down the line he caught sight of Siloš Bijelahrvatskić trying to break through the Moravian line, and being stoutly opposed by the Greek cataphract Anatolios. That particular duel was not going particularly well for the Greek, sad to say.

And then there was the sight that made Bohodar’s heart freeze.

The rebelling Hrabě Soběslav Mikulčický of Jihlava had punched through! He had led a small contingent of riders through a gap in the lines left between Anatolios and Dalibor, and stood poised to mount a flanking action—or make a break for Přerov. Bohodar’s blood went from cold to hot in the space of a breath. He gave a signal to the ensign, who raised the rallying flag, while he led a handful of the zbrojnošov in across the line of battle to give pursuit to the Nitrans.

Bohodar leaned down close to the mane of his mount, and spurred it to a gallop. The dapple-grey Bulgarian mare leapt and bent her neck and bounded forward through a lane which was empty of spear-ords for one blessed moment, and she creditably closed the difference between herself and Soběslav. Bohodar let up a bloody shout and raised his sword arm as he went past.

And then the moment which would come forever afterward to visit his worst nightmares.

For Bohodar, the motion of shoulder and wrist, the turn of the hilt in his hand that would bring the slashing edge of his blade down in one smooth stroke—was pure muscle-memory. He did it practically without thinking as he came up alongside Soběslav. But Bohodar felt on his wrist, not the jarring squeal of resistance that he expected, which mail would give him. Instead, the feeling was one similar to that which met a child’s hand when the head of a hatchet cleaved into the neck of a chicken.

Bohodar turned his head to look at his blade. And it was clear that it had connected—with something. The hard gleam of his steel bore upon itself a streak of moisture—dark red in colour. Turning his head back even further, he saw…

Soběslav’s narrow head with its short-cropped beard was staring at him in a gape of disbelief—almost in embarrassment. So young! He couldn’t be more than two years older than Bohodar, if he was a day. And just underneath that incredulous long face, an uncontrolled spurt of blood burst from the rupture of his carotid artery, which Bohodar’s sword-blow had caused, staining his tabard in the shapes of so many blood-red orchid blossoms. Soběslav’s head swung at a sickening lopsided angle as his body crumpled and toppled nervelessly forward in the saddle.

A strangled sound caught itself in Bohodar’s throat as his own eyes went wide. He had killed. And the helpless, chagrined face of Soběslav Mikulčický seared itself into his memory, to haunt him lifelong.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Book Four Chapter Fifteen
@Midnite Duke: Indeed; correct on both counts! Thank you for reading!

FIFTEEN
A Friend in Need
27 September 1148 – 30 January 1150

A party of several riders drew close to the King’s camp in early autumn. One of them, having the light build of a slender woman of her later middle years beneath a good woollen autumn cloak, flashed a bull’s-head signet ring toward the captain of the watch. The captain immediately allowed her and her party to pass, and approach the king’s camp freely. The woman and her little formation of riders cantered toward the centre of the camp, dismounted and handed their horses off to the grooms. There, the young woman with the bull’s-head ring took her leave of her guard, and made her way into the king’s teld, where again she was admitted at once.

Radomír looked up toward the woman’s figure, with her antigonine neck and narrow, sharp-jawed face. He was already beaming with welcome recognition, long before she drew back the hood of her cloak to reveal a sheaf of platinum-blonde locks beneath her cap. She courtesied deeply.

‘Gorislava Zvonimírovná Pavelková-Sigetmarmoroská, at your Majesty’s command.’

‘No need for all that between us, Slavička,’ Radomír bade her rise. ‘Have you journeyed well?’

The kňažná of Podkarpatská Rus’ stood, straightened her swan-neck, and levelled a blunt, sky-blue gaze at the king. ‘It’s a rather hard road to travel incognito between Maramoroš and here. The fewer times I have to make that run, the better. But I am as you see me—hale and sound.’

‘Well, thanks to God for that,’ the king grinned. ‘But you did agree to be my kancelárka, did you not? Travel demands and all.’

‘So I did—before you chose to provoke Dušan into this war.’

Radomír widened his eyes in a look of mock offence. ‘Who, me? Provoke Dušan Mikulčický, the brass-eyed fighting-cockerel whose shoulders break under the weight of so many chips? God forbid!’

That got a laugh out of Gorislava. If one couldn’t laugh at this civil war, one could only despair. And neither liege nor kancelárka were willing to do that.

‘How’s Alswit?’ asked Gorislava in genuine concern.

‘She’s recovering well. The birth went smoothly from what I hear. She’s named our newest daughter Rodana.’

2021_07_01_90a.png

Gorislava crossed herself in thanksgiving, and nodded her approval of the name. ‘Good. Strong name—Slavic. Better than Katarína or Daniel, if you don’t mind my saying so.’

‘And how was Zdravomil Nonnovič when you left him?’

The Rus’ kňažná tilted her flaxen head to the side with a fond smile. ‘Zdravko’s doing a bit too well, if you ask me. He’s been helping me with various gifts and considerations meant to keep the rest of your loyal vassals sweet. Lord knows how a sinful old miser like me married my first cousin to keep the lands in the family. But of late, having him as a helpmeet in political matters has been… a pleasant surprise.’

Slavička’s candour was one of the things that Radomír most highly valued in her. Even if she did always have an eye toward her own interests and advancement, the fact that she frankly acknowledged it as a failing spoke well of her self-awareness. And she had never failed to place her duties to Radomír first—even going so far as to help streamline the integration of Podkarpatská into the rest of Moravia. ‘A pleasant surprise’, she said? Yes. Quite so.

2021_07_01_77a.png
2021_07_01_87a.png

‘What’s this?’ asked Gorislava as she stepped further into the teld. Aside the diagrams and maps and figurines that one would expect to find inside a military command tent, she saw one large dusty old volumes, as well as some fresh parchment and quill-cuttings. And was that an astrolabe for tracking the stars? She turned over a leaf in the elder book as Radomír looked patiently on. ‘The Mathēmatikē Syntaxis of Ptolemy?’

‘Just a little… translation project,’ Radomír owned. ‘Of course I haven’t gotten very far in it, things being how they are…’

‘Hmm. I didn’t know you were interested in astronomy,’ Gorislava mused. ‘I tell you what, liege. Once this war’s over, I’ll send for you to come to Pop-Ivan in Čornohora—at my own expense. Astronomy students from Hungary, Wallachia and even the Červens come there all the time. High mountain peak, no clouds, perfect for tracking the movements of the cælestial spheres. But in the meantime, make sure you get some sleep. No offence, Kráľ, but you look like death warmed over. And no one ever won a war without taking care of themselves first!’

‘Of course I’ll heed my kancelárka’s wholesome advice.’

2021_07_01_86a.png
2021_07_01_88a.png

2021_07_01_89a.png
2021_07_01_91a.png

~~~​

Gorislava didn’t stay long in the king’s teld. Her purpose in visiting had been solely to update the Kráľ on the tax situation in Maramoroš and apprise him on further measures aimed at integration. She had also promised to commit two thousand more Rus’ warriors to the war-effort against Dušan Mikulčický. Soon she would leave back for Olomouc to rest a few days before making the incognito run back to her native Beskids. As she was leaving the camp, however, she came across the king’s son, inbound into the camp.

‘Bohodar!’ she cried out to him. ‘God greet you, lad!’

‘God keep you, Kňažná,’ Bohodar answered her. ‘How’s Father doing?’

‘He needs to take better care of himself, get more sleep, and leave any translation projects until a better time,’ Gorislava noted archly. ‘He’s doing no one any favours wearing himself out like this.’

‘So I keep telling him.’

‘Is there something the matter with your neck?’ asked Gorislava in concern. ‘You keep rubbing it.’

At once Bohodar stopped, putting his hands behind his back. ‘No, it’s nothing.’

‘Hmm,’ Gorislava traced her mouth doubtfully with one hand. ‘Well. Same goes for you—make sure you sleep and eat well, and keep your head during battle. No pointless heroism from you, young man: just burn those siege towers.’

Gorislava missed how Bohodar blanched white as she said ‘keep your head’. But when Bohodar’s answer came, it was calm and level. ‘I shall, Kňažná.’

This civil war had been devastating for central Moravia, mostly because the bulk of the fighting had taken place there. The Bohemian and Nitran armies had basically had free rein whenever the King’s men were not present, and they had behaved as armies normally do when moving through enemy territory. The unwilling requisitions of food, shelter and ‘companionship’ from the bowers of the Morava valley had earned Dušan and his noble rebels nothing but enmity from the common people of Moravia, the more so because it was in pursuit of a claim on the Moravian throne dating back to Bratromila Mojmírova’s day that none of them any longer felt was legitimate.

Radomír had moved his armies into position around Hradec and Boleslav, and lay siege to both rebel-held northern Bohemian towns over the winter, bombarding them relentlessly with arbalests and mangonels. The king led his own army personally to encircle Hradec, while Bohodar had been assigned to command the siege of Boleslav. These sieges were worth the effort to take the cities, but they did cost the Moravian Army several long months of absence from the defence of the home territory.

2021_07_01_89b.png
2021_07_01_90b.png

2021_07_01_92a.png

Both towns fell to the King’s armies in the lean months of the Year of the World 6657. That was enough time for Dušan, with the help of Slavomíra Bijelahrvatskića, to raise an army of a strength rivalling that of both of Radomír’s combined—and send it straight up the Morava toward Olomouc. This rejuvenated Nitran rebel army despoiled as they went, and once more they got as far as Přerov.

Kráľ Radomír 2. personally led his army back to Přerov in order to defend the town and the lands further upstream. He knew from the start that his own force of thirty-five hundred men, eight riders and ragtag groups of assorted armigers would stand not even the ghost of a chance against Dušan and Slavomíra’s eight thousand on their own. But the point of engaging them at Přerov was not to win the battle, but rather to play for time until the king’s son could reinforce them… and perhaps fight them to a draw.

zamek-prerov-muzeum-komenskeho.jpg

A red June dawn gleamed over the Bečva as the King’s men drew themselves into position against the superior rebel forces. Once again, observed Radomír, the red bear of Užhorod flew prominently over the commanding front of the rebel forces—it was Slavomíra calling the shots, not Dušan. Among the rebels, Radomír observed, there was heavy armour—the zbrojnošov of Trenčin were readily and prominently seen at the front. But he also saw that there were specially-trained and -equipped Bohemian arbelists from Ústí nad Labem who would be firing deadly volleys into his line from the rear right flank. He sighed in silent dismay. The battle had not yet begun, but he could already see how dearly he would be paying for his delaying action.

The lines moved forward. The small handful of the Moravian armigers and riders took up their positions, and their orders were to misdirect, stymie and confuse the momentum of the rebels as much as possible. Radomír hoped it wasn’t too obvious to the unit commanders that he was essentially playing for time rather than to win; he knew how that would affect morale. But there was no hesitation or flinching from the riders or the skirmishers as they led off.

The Moravian lines were not stationary, but fluid—Radomír was trying to use them to probe for weak points in the rebels’ depth, exploit them quickly, and get out. Unfortunately, that was usually a losing strategy in battles like these, which were battles of attrition. Soon the quarrels were flying and the lances were breaking, and Moravian blood flowed freely into the Bečva.

The sun slowly and painfully crossed over the sky, and began to set in the west. The Moravians had held the line and prevented the Nitran advance on Olomouc—but at great cost. Out of the thirty-five hundred Radomír 2. had brought with him, only four hundred remained standing firm and fighting. The rest had died, or had been grievously wounded, or had fled the field of battle. Things were looking grim indeed for the Moravian king.

2021_07_01_93a.png
2021_07_01_94b.png

But that was when his son Bohodar showed up, leading his four thousand, including Vjačeslav’s Væringjar. Shortly behind him were the men of Bergslagen, courtesy of his son-in-law Adalvard. Fresh fighting men swept into the breaches and shored up their beleaguered and wounded comrades. Bohodar’s command added depth to the Moravian line, and gave the arbelists something selse to shoot at besides the skirmishers at which they’d been taking potshots for the whole past afternoon. The riders careened into the entire arbelist formation and scattered them into the woods, which took significant pressure off of the King’s other armigers.

This sudden reversal clearly stunned the Nitran and Bohemian rebels, who had already been hounded and baited into wrath in several places by the Moravians’ stalling tactics. Entire sections of the Nitran line collapsed—including one which led a straight path back to where Slavomíra Bijelahrvatskića was! The kňažná of Užhorod attempted to flee, but with everyone around her breaking past in a rout, she was left stranded amidst a knot of Bohodar’s men. She was left with little choice but to surrender herself into Radomír 2.’s mercy. A small rebel rearguard in Doudleby was quickly rounded up and captured, but the will to fight had all but been struck from the rebels. Dušan was brought to terms at the end of the following January, and peace was restored in Moravia.

2021_07_01_95a.png
2021_07_01_99a.png

2021_07_01_101a.png

The devastation within the Morava valley had been significant, and it would take many decades to rebuild what had been lost. Many were the wooden caskets which were shipped back into the villages; long were the processions that accompanied them to burial. And indeed, the Hrabě of Jihlava himself, having had his throat severed in the heat of battle by the king’s son, was sent to his rest among the sons of Mojmír, the Mikulčických of Nitra.

The pain of war was not always entirely visible. Radomír 2. had attempted to distance himself from these horrors by throwing himself into his study of the stars, and a new Moravian translation of the Mathēmatikē Syntaxis had been the penultimate result. Others, however, bore much more deeply than he did the pain of what they had to witness, and what they had to do with their own hands.

2021_07_01_97a.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Book Four Chapter Sixteen
@Midnite Duke: Yes, this does seem to be the plague of every new ruler in the game thus far. We shall see if the same holds true for Bohodar when his time comes.

SIXTEEN
I Malmfälten
16 March 1151 – 11 February 1154

2021_07_02_9a.png

‘I sent Bo and others to your aid during your war against your uprisen vassals,’ Adalvard insisted, sparing no appeal upon his father-in-law’s noble sensibilities. ‘Many Malmfäldingjar gave their lives in order to help you keep a firm hold on your throne, for Katarína’s sake. Now I’m asking you to assist me in the same course. Help me now to defend against Henrik and his invading Geats.’

There was an uncomfortable silence in the council chamber. The shaven-jawed, tow-headed severan youth and the formidable, grizzle-bearded Moravian king, son-in-law and father-in-law, regarded each other warily. On the side, the king’s kancelárka Gorislava Pavelková and his spymistress Ladina Rychnovská-Nisa flicked their eyes between one or the other, waiting for the tension to be broken. It was nearly a full minute before Radomír 2. gave an answer.

‘Very well, Adalvard. If the Malmfälten call for my aid against the Geats, I won’t ignore or dismiss them. You shall have Moravian troops at your side within these three months—you have my word.’

‘And I value it, O Kráľ,’ Adalvard spread his arms out before him in a gesture of thanks.

As Adalvard departed from the council chambers, his business in Olomouc having been met a successful conclusion, Radomír gave a heavy sigh. It had been a difficult decision to make. To be called to war again, so soon after his realm had been put back in some semblance of order, with only a single year’s meagre growing season in which to recover—! It was a heavy thing that Adalvard had asked of him.

Not to mention the personal costs. The demands of his previous defence of the Morava valley had already stretched him thin. He’d found himself tugged and shoved about by various lascivious fantasies and urges… and although Alswit had always happily answered the summons to his chambers to help him sate the brute physical urge when it came up, he still hadn’t found a proper outlet for the strain of his mind. Yet now he would be leading Moravians into the chilly northlands, inserting them into a conflict between two groups of severané who were all but alike to his view.

2021_07_02_3a.png
2021_07_02_10a.png

Still, Radomír was too much so his father’s son to ignore such a demand upon his honour, particularly for an ally under threat.

Gorislava approached the king. ‘Well, Radomír—I can’t recommend this course of action from a finical point of view. In fact, I think it’s probably a waste of our men and treasure.’

‘Is there another point of view?’ asked Radomír.

His friend’s lips softened. ‘Well. There’s always something to be said for honouring one’s word and defending one’s family.’

Radomír couldn’t help but smile in answer. Despite their differences, there was a good reason he enjoyed Gorislava’s company. ‘There is. Even when the costs of doing so are high.’

Especially when the costs are high.’

~~~​

Mamka?’ asked Heléna when she came into her mother’s room. ‘What’s wrong?’

Czenzi had been kneeling in prayer at the miniature iconostasis in her chambers, and there had been the bleary remains of tears in her eyes. She turned to her adolescent daughter, and embraced her firmly. In truth, Léna was more a young woman now than a girl. Her hair had darkened (just as Bohodar’s had in his youth) from blonde into an oaken brown… and Czenzi could see both Botta and herself in that face as she caressed Léna’s cheek. She had Botta’s handsome brow, something of the intensity of his stare, and of course the shape of his nose. The caramel colour of her skin was somewhere between Czenzi’s dusky and Botta’s fair hue. Unfortunately, Léna’s mouth had the same unfashionably long shape as Czenzi’s.

‘You’re worried, aren’t you?’ she asked from it. ‘About Otec.’

‘Is it that obvious?’ Czenzi looked away, trying (not altogether successfully) to keep the bitterness out of her voice. Damn her—did she have to be so perceptive?

Heléna kept her arms around her mother and squeezed, offering her what comfort she could provide.

Czenzi sighed. ‘Léna… something happened to him out there, last time he went to war. I don’t know what, and he won’t tell me. It’s like… like he went out there one person, and came back another. And that scares me.’

‘Tell me about it.’

Czenzi couldn’t stop the burning behind her eyes, or the sting of fresh tears as they welled and poured from the corners. And with them came a memory from the past year as it was dragged out of her.

Czenzi remembered stirring and awakening after first sleep, and looking across at her husband in the flickering brazier-light. Not for the last time, the Árpád had savoured a moment of pure æsthetic appreciation of the rear view of the man she’d married. Having so fine a piece of tall-and-handsome to hold onto at night was a rare bit of good fortune which she felt it only proper to relish. Every bit of his face shone with cubbish good looks, from his fine brown brows, to his smooth boyish cheeks, to his deep, straight jawline. And then there was his long, sturdy neck, his broad bare chest with its still-sparse sprinkling of hair, and firm muscular shoulders, all for the enjoyment of her sight and touch and taste…!

Botta was there, yes—in his night shift. But she could tell he hadn’t slept at all. There was an exhausted slump to his shoulders, and he kept reaching up a hand to touch his neck, as though it hurt. She remembered that he kept glancing toward the same iconostasis that she’d just been praying at in the present, but he did not go over there to pray. Instead he turned away and let out a sigh—the sigh of a weary man twice his age.

Just that. Just an impression from the recent past. But it encapsulated the entirety of the difference between the youthful, tender, attentive and playful young man she’d fallen in love with… and whomever it was that had come back from the war.

‘I can’t help but wonder,’ she said aloud to her daughter, ‘if he’s still there… the true Bohodar, the Bohodar I know. He left me before the war, and he hasn’t come back.’

2021_07_02_25a.png
2021_07_02_25b.png

Mamka,’ Heléna told her patiently, ‘Father’s still the same man he always was. He’s still the same ocko to me, and brother to Dani, who always took us with him out to play down by the millrace whenever we badgered him into it. And he’s still the same husband who loves you. All wars will end. But he’ll still have us two, and Vojta… and whichever one’s in there waiting to meet me. We have to be patient. Support him—but don’t smother him. He’ll come around.’

Czenzi laughed as she wiped away a tear. ‘When did my daughter get to be so wise?’

‘Well, I think we can blame my parents for that,’ Heléna shrugged diffidently. ‘From what I hear, they’re supposed to be rather clever people themselves.’

Czenzi took her daughter by the shoulders. ‘So, about that… or rather, about Míra…’

2021_07_02_24b.png
2021_07_02_24a.png

Heléna blushed to the roots of her hair and nimbly extricated herself from her mother’s grasp, making her way to the door. ‘I thought we, uh… weren’t going to talk about that.’

Czenzi went after her daughter, but Heléna was just a little too nimble on her feet, darting out the door and closing it behind her, skipping off down the hallway. She knew her mother well enough to know she wouldn’t pursue her far.

Besides, when it came to matters of the heart, Heléna took her own counsel. Heléna was aware enough of herself to know that she was of Sappho’s inclination. And even if Blahomíra was not, and took no interest in her back, that wouldn’t change how Heléna felt about her.

~~~

alderangsrundan.jpg

Bohodar had been unhorsed. He’d lost his shield, the helmet atop his head had been knocked askew, he was bleeding freely from a wound in his left leg which who could tell how he got, and his face was streaked with mud and sweat. He’d been trying with difficulty this whole past hour to find his way, either back to the Moravian line or to a vantage point where he could see his father’s vane—but to no avail. However, he could still very well hear the shouts and clangs of battle coming from all around him in these Dalecarlian woods, bright and shining green from the warm August sun above the treetops. He clutched his sword close and forged ahead, climbing up one of the stony fells with difficulty.

He swung up behind one of the pine boughs that presented itself before him. He found himself face-to-face with a young severán—truly, even in the eye’s-blink allowed him Bohodar couldn’t think there was even five years’ difference between the two of them—with a long, blond beard. The young Geat barked a yell at him and raised his axe. Bohodar yielded with his front foot and swung back behind the pine bough, letting it swing forward. He felt as much as heard the axe-head bury itself in the heartwood of the tree branch—which, better the tree than his head! And he leaned into the tree from behind to steady himself and get another foothold on the other side.

It quickly became clear that the young man in front of him was more frightened than enraged, as he frantically struggled to free his axe from the tree and, upon his success, took another wild lunge at the dark-haired Moravian in front of him. Bohodar backed out of his reach with a practised step, and then ducked back in again with his sword, making a slash that forced his Geatish opponent to yield a step. The blond-beard caught Bohodar in the face with the edge of his shield, forcing him back again.

Bohodar and the young severán battled back and forth like that, in a desperate close-quarters mêlée that was as much each of them trying to stay on both feet as trying to bring down the other one or force the other one back, but slowly Bohodar was the one to gain ground. He brought his foe, unwittingly, to a place where an elder pine’s roots had anchored a cluster of earth over a precipitous slope. In a sudden spasm of pain and anger Bohodar made a lunge for a sudden opening as the Northman stood on this ledge. The Geat fended off the blow with his axe-blade, but wrong-footed himself and tumbled backwards from Bohodar’s lunge. He pitched backward from the ledge with a hoarse cry, and Bohodar saw him tumble over the edge of the root clean out of sight—only to have an ominous crack meet his ears from below. Bohodar stepped forward onto the root with his good foot, and peered down.

The Geat’s blue eyes were fixed wide open on him, but what little life there was left in them was ebbing away, leaving only a glassy stare. The mouth beneath the blond beard was fixed wide in shock, and his neck jutted at an unnatural angle. He had broken it on the bole of a dead pine, some ten feet below where Bohodar now stood.

Again Bohodar’s mouth fell open with dismay. It was not the same kind of shock that he’d felt upon turning his mount to see Soběslav of Jihlava’s neck split open from his blade. But the face of sudden, violent death—death which he had caused—still struck straight at his heart.

It was war. Of course it was war. And men kill, and men die, in war.

Bohodar had had little other choice—having met face-to-face on that fell-slope, one of the two of them had been doomed to such an end in this battle. But Bohodar still couldn’t help but see in the Northman’s face, just as in Soběslav’s at Přerov, a reflection of his own. He couldn’t help but be stricken with the enormity of what he himself had done—ending another man’s life. In destroying this boy, whose will to live had been evident in every desperate swing of his axe, Bohodar felt that he had destroyed part of himself.

A trill of notes from a horn went up somewhere below him. It was a jaunty snatch of a Moravian folk tune—and by that Bohodar recognised it as one of his father’s. He also recognised the signal: it was the signal to pursue. Evidently the battle had been progressing well in the woods, and the Geats were on the run. The battle in the forested fells outside of Mora had evidently been won.

2021_07_02_11a.png

~~~

2021_07_02_14a.png
2021_07_02_23a.png

There were only two other battles in the Moravian war to defend Adalvard’s claim over the Malmfälten against the Geats: one at the Tingvalla in Värmaland, and one at Sundby on Lake Malar in the east. After that, Adalvard died suddenly of a fever—causing a precipitous and absurd end to a war that had cost Moravia more than enough as it was. Radomír took Katarína, now a young widow, back home to Moravia with him from Malmfälten, and left the Geats and the Svear to sort their severán-tribal quarrels amongst themselves.

2021_07_02_26a.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Claimant wars often end abruptly and inconclusively. I have bad feelings about Bohodar's future. But you have been fairly lucky with leaders and heirs. (One heir died? Youngest ruler to die?) Thank you for the update.

Reactions:
Book Four Chapter Seventeen
SEVENTEEN
Heartache
11 February 1154 – 14 March 1155

It was only natural for Czenzi to follow her daughter’s advice, upon her husband’s return. She was of such a nature that being of service to the ones she loved gave her pleasure, and placing herself as the warm and steady support that Bohodar needed came to her as naturally as a glove fitted for a hand. One of the first things she had done, of course, had been to present Botta with the infant daughter he’d sired with her before shipping off into the Malmfälten.

2021_07_02_12a.png

‘I’ve called her Anna,’ Czenzi told him. ‘I hope you don’t mind.’

That caused Bohodar to crack a smile. ‘Now you’re teasing me. I’ve always liked that name. Good Rychnovská name—it was the name of Babka Viera’s foster-mother.’

Czenzi pursed her wide lips. ‘It’s also a perfectly serviceable Magyar name, you know. For a pet name, we could call her Ancsa, or Anikó.’

Bohodar chuckled. ‘Don’t press your luck.’

It still gave Czenzi pains to watch Bohodar carrying around so much weight that she couldn’t see. But one of the benefits to having Bohodar back from the Malmfälten was that she was able to ascertain, through careful listening (earnest and outgoing and amiable as she was, she was good at inviting confidences), at least part of what was weighing him down and gnawing at his heart.

‘… just don’t cross the King’s son. Don’t you know? He killed three men in the wars, in personal combat. I heard he went forty passes with Soběslav of Jihlava, before cutting his throat—khghkk!—just with one stroke of his sword. Sent his head flying thirty yards. Then in the most recent war? Friend of my husband says there was a Nitran mercenary among the Geats at Tingvalla, whom the King’s son ran through the chest with his blade—cut through armour and shield like warm butter.’

‘That’s nothing. I heard Bohodar went toe-to-toe with a Northman berserker—one of those insane ones that gnaw on their shields? Killed him just by looking at him. My cousin swears, he saw it with his own two eyes, the berserker fell. Cracked his head open just trying to get away from him!’

2021_07_02_30a.png

Such were the tales that swirled around Bohodar upon his return. Now, Czenzi was a shrewd enough woman not to blindly credit all of these tales. She had been a first-hand witness to his prowess in a one-on-one fight, against Büzir-Üzünköl in Szarka—in the fight to win her hand. But she also knew her man well enough to understand that if it came to killing someone, he wouldn’t easily be able to live it down. If he had taken lives in this war, by his own hand, that very well would lie heavily upon his conscience.

‘Bohodar—!’

Czenzi went to her husband as he turned to face her, and she laid her hand upon his cheek. She didn’t want to remind him of anything he might have done in the wars. But she did want him to know that she was here for him.

‘Come with me for a walk later? Along the Morava?’ she offered. ‘Just the two of us—no kids.’

‘I… I really don’t feel like talking…’

Czenzi shook her head. ‘That’s okay, Botta. We don’t have to talk. We’ll just walk. And then later we can go to Vespers together at the Church.’

Bohodar shuddered a bit.

‘… or not,’ she corrected course quickly. ‘Whatever you want, I’m here for you.’

‘A walk… sounds good,’ Bohodar managed.

Czenzi beamed. ‘Ez randi!

~~~

2021_07_02_36a.png

Kráľ Radomír, however, had a rather more difficult time dealing with the strain his mind was under. Although poor Alswit made herself every bit as solicitous and available to him as Czenzi had for Botta, Radomír was considerably more set in his ways and more stubborn in keeping his own counsel than his son was. And in addition, as Kráľ, he simply had more on his plate to deal with.

And so he found himself too often going over and over again in his mind—every decision that had committed him to a certain course, every challenge that he had risen to meet. He tried to figure out where he had gone wrong. How had it been that his father had managed to hold this kingdom together seemingly with nothing but spit and string, while his own efforts to hold Moravia on a steady course seemed to have ended so poorly?

Radomír had difficulty sleeping at night on account of such thinking. The Morava valley was still utterly desolate from the last war. Too many families had lost too many men to a far-off war on behalf of a boy who no longer lived.

Although—

‘Lord Kráľ!’

Radomír turned. There stood a tall, clean-shaven, wedge-faced man with olive skin, some years younger yet than himself. He had a certain boyish handsomeness despite his middle age, which was accentuated by his swarthy features.

‘Ah, Konstantyn!’ the Moravian ruler grinned. ‘Welcome!’

Konstantyn Anchabadze, who hailed from an ancient and well-respected Hellenised Iberian noble family far to the east, had inherited the chiefdom of Poznań to the north some years ago. His lands bordered upon Moravia by a slender ten-mile stretch on the northern border of Moravian Silesia, located just around the town of Rawicz. That he was here seemed to be a promising sign.

2021_07_02_28a.png

‘Have you had a chance to consider my offer?’ asked the Kráľ.

‘I think I’d like to speak with the girl myself first,’ Konstantyn demurred. ‘She’s just lost one husband. It would be… indelicate of me to impose myself as her second while she’s still in mourning.’

‘Of course, of course,’ Radomír told him.

‘However, apart from that consideration, I would be more than happy to ally myself to Moravia,’ the Iberian bowed. ‘Such an arrangement strikes me as being mutually beneficial.’

Radomír clapped the slightly-younger man on the shoulder and steered him up toward the castle keep to discuss such a mutually-beneficial arrangement a bit further.

2021_07_02_33a.png

In fact, sometimes Radomír felt that his only real successes in his rule had been with his descendants. Little Dani had come to him several months prior to that, and given him a long, firm hug. As a father, Radomír took no greater pleasure than in his children’s well-being… which is why he had reached out to Konstantyn with the offer of Katarína’s hand. Konstantyn was well-known for being a circumspect man of modest life and generous habits—and he would be well-suited to Katarína’s temperament, at least from what Radomír had already been able to ascertain. The fact that the chieftain of the Polish town had voiced such concerns over Katarína still being in mourning was a good sign indeed.

Radomír was still reflecting on this, when he happened to see his grandson Vojta playing in the courtyard.

Among the other children was the bigger, stronger Diviš—a lad with stringy blond hair and a rather short temper. Evidently Vojta had done something Diviš didn’t like, because Diviš pushed the dark-haired boy to the ground with a vicious shove.

Radomír and Konstantyn paused in their stride. The Kráľ was wondering whether or not he should intervene on behalf of his grandson. But Vojta apparently didn’t need it. He just took the shove in stride and went back to whatever game they were playing. Later on, he and Diviš were laughing together and clapping each other on the shoulder, the loser congratulating the winner good-naturedly.

2021_07_02_29a.png

‘Lads seem to be turning out well,’ remarked Konstantyn.

‘I agree,’ said the Kráľ. He would have to speak to Vojtech later about it, but he was pleased to see that the youngster had developed such a forbearing attitude.

The resulting conversation between Konstantyn and Radomír over the marriage agreement and alliance was blessedly straightforward. Border markers between Moravia and the Poznań lands were determined and mutual assurances of defence against attackers from outside were formalised. Konstantyn left not only satisfied but pleased.

The dull pain that afflicted Radomír’s chest and left arm suddenly returned, and he found himself light-headed, and wheezing for breath. That usually happened during such attacks, but it would pass. Radomír sat. Attending to the rebuilding of the Morava villages damaged by the war—that was just the thing to take his mind off the pain.

2021_07_02_37b.png
2021_07_02_37a.png

~~~​

Kráľ Radomír was found in his study a couple of hours later, slumped over a stack of papers. The physic was brought in at once, but by that time there was nothing he could do. It was determined that the king’s heart had simply given out—the result of overwork and mental strain. Alswit, weeping and donning the mourning colours, accompanied her husband’s casket all the way to Velehrad, as did Botta and his wife, Katka, Dani and little Rodana.

The procession and funeral, solemnly observed over three days, were followed by Botta’s solemn anointing and vestment as Kráľ of Veľká Morava and Dani as Knieža of Česko. There had been neither a king nor a prince in Bohemia since the days of Slovoľubec. But the fact of two eligible Rychnovských men in the main line had prompted the resurrection and Christian consecration of the title.

The reign of Bohodar 3. had begun.

2021_07_02_38a.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Botta is the youngest king to be crowned in quite a while. I hope he can handle the pressure better than his dad. Did he have some kind of "possessed" modifier in that screenshot (which would go with the rumours I guess) or are his eyelids just closed?
1660151348841.png

As always, thank you for the updates!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Botta is the youngest king to be crowned in quite a while. I hope he can handle the pressure better than his dad. Did he have some kind of "possessed" modifier in that screenshot (which would go with the rumours I guess) or are his eyelids just closed?
View attachment 866988
As always, thank you for the updates!

LOL, nah, Botta isn't possessed; I just suck at timing my screenshots. :p

Just a heads-up for folks, I beg your pardon if my updates come a bit more slowly for the next few months. I've taken on a position at a local school, essentially as a kindergarten TA.

Thanks for reading! And thanks again to all of you who voted for Lions in the Q2 2022 AARland awards: you guys know who you are! And I hope that the anticipated somewhat slower pace of updates is suitable for you.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Congratulations, on your new job. Can we call you Kindergarten Kop for you shall return? Martial 7, prowess 26; Botta should not devise strategy but he will be a huge morale boost for Moravian troops. How old is Duke Dani? Radomir had one kingdom, two duchies and five counties; what is division between Botta and Dani? When was last ruler to die younger than 49? Thank you for updating and we will await your return from the land of munchkins.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Book Four Chapter Eighteen
The Reign of Bohodar 3. letopisár, Kráľ of Veľká Morava

2021_08_11_1a.png

EIGHTEEN
The Jihlava Decrees
14 March 1155 – 28 August 1157

I.
14 March 1155 – 9 September 1155

2021_07_02_45a.png
2021_07_02_40a.png

Bohodar did not return to Olomouc straightaway upon his anointing as Moravia’s king. Instead, he made a sharp detour south and west toward Jihlava. Stopping at one of the manor homes on the outskirts belonging to the Mikulčický family, he rode toward the chapel and dismounted, handing off the reins of his mount to the lay brethren who served as grooms. He went over to a relatively fresh grave—the one that had been dug for the former Hrabě of this land.

O God of spirits and of all flesh, Who has trampled down death and overthrown the Devil, and given life to Your world, do You, the same Lord, give rest to the soul of Your departed servant Soběslav—in a place of light, a place of verdure, a place of rest, from where all sickness and sighs and sorrow have fled. Pardon every transgression which he has committed, whether by word or thought or deed. For You are a good God Who loves mankind. There is no man who lives yet does not sin, for You only are without sin. Your righteousness is to all eternity, and Your word is truth…

Snimek-obrazovky-2022-05-28-v-7.04.27-750x350.jpg

A bit disarmingly to those who were present with him, Bohodar knelt down at the foot of the rebellious nobleman’s grave, and wept freely for him. Only Czenzi dared to approach him, and at that only to lay a sympathetic hand upon the grieving king’s shoulder. When he was done paying his respects, he gave five silver obols for fresh flowers to the monks who tended the graveyard, and asked their prayers for the departed soul of Soběslav Mikulčický, and for himself, a sinful man.

It continued to weigh upon the king’s conscience, that he could not do the same for the two men he had slain in the Malmfälten. Neither the brash blond-bearded man who had attacked him on the fell-slope at Mora; nor the frail-looking Slavic boy—hardly a man!—among the hirelings at Tingvalla who had fallen to Botta’s blade as they’d stormed the gates. He didn’t even know their names, although their faces in death haunted him still, just as Soběslav’s did.

2021_07_02_41b.png

But after that, he went directly to the manor house, and made a request of the manor’s lord, Hrabě Zelimír Kopčianský, Soběslav’s diminutive and youthful first cousin. (Soběslav had died without issue.)

‘May I borrow the saddle and belt that belonged to Soběslav Mikulčický? I swear to you as king, that I shall treat them both with the honour they are due, and return them to you whole and with respect.’

Now, the loyal and upstanding vassal couldn’t rightly refuse such a request, offered this humbly and deferentially, when it came from the rightly-anointed king of Moravia. He may have been suspicious about it—and he certainly wasn’t happy—but he did give both the belt and the saddle of the former lord over to his slayer. Bohodar took them with thanks, and then made his way to the town centre of Jihlava.

jihlava-fountain-square-church.jpg

A modern-day view of the Jihlava town centre

There, in the open and in broad daylight, Bohodar summoned about him all of his vassals and court. He looked around impassively at them as they gathered about him in a semi-circle at the town square. The twelve-year-old Knieža Daniel had, of course, accompanied the party all the way from Velehrad, having been invested together with his elder brother. There were a handful of assorted burgomasters and -mistresses, most prominent among whom were: Múdroslav the Poet of Hodonín; Dušana of Hradec nad Moravicí; and Boromír of Ivančice.

2021_07_02_48a.png
Two among those gathered were trusted friends of his father: Vojvodkyňa Ladina Rychnovská-Nisa, the elderly lady of Upper Silesia; and Kňažná Gorislava Pavelková-Sigetmormoroská, the mistress of Podkarpatská. And two among them, Bohodar would have counted as powerful potential enemies: Knieža Bystrík Mikulčický of Nitra; and Kňažná Slavomíra Bijelahrvatskića of Užhorod. These were the two against whom he would have to contend in the event of another uprising. An event which, he prayed to God now, he could avert with a suitable show of strength and determination. In the general direction of these two, he lifted saddle and belt.

‘O vassals! Hear ye all now, the decrees of your new Kráľ.’

A hush fell. Bohodar did not have to raise his voice in the slightest to be clearly heard.

‘In the wake of my dear father’s repose, two paths now lie open to you, Moravians. Will you continue to walk the stubborn path of rebellion against right order and against the anointed of God? Or will you submit yourselves to His commandments upon you, in a proper love of peace and order and justice? Will more brotherly blood be shed? Will more lives come to ruin? Will the five fingers of the Moravians, Bohemians, Nitrans, Silesians and Rusins—which belong to the same Slavic hand, and which ought to make the Sign of the Cross together in peace—be severed from each other? Or will we live together, as we ought to do, in harmony and goodwill?’

There was a low murmur among the crowd, which fell silent as Bohodar spoke again.

‘See here the saddle of Soběslav Mikulčický. See here his belt.’ Bohodar laid them out reverently in front of him. ‘Now—if any of you would care to do so, you’re welcome to come before me and pick them up.’

It was a direct challenge—just as much of one as if he’d thrown his own riding-gauntlet upon the ground. And there was no mistaking it for anything else. He was daring Bystrík Mikulčický in particular to face him in the open, one-on-one. Bohodar was not unaware of the reputation for ferocity in single combat that he’d earned in part by slaying Soběslav Mikulčický, and it was his hope to leverage that reputation to head off any conspiracy to rebellion among his vassals now. Bystrík and Slavomíra did exchange a darkling glance. A full, uncomfortable minute passed. But, just as the new Kráľ had hoped, no one dared come forward to pick up the gauge he had laid upon the ground.

‘Well, then,’ Bohodar took on a lighter tone. ‘Hear now the first of my decrees. All men and women who are presently kept confined at Olomouc are to be released. Those who are held on charges of minor crimes, are to be released at once, without condition. Those who have not yet professed faith in the Holy Trinity, in Our Lord Christ, and in His One, Holy, Conciliar and Apostolic Church—may choose to be baptised as a condition of their release. And those who have been caught in the recent rebellion and remain confined for their participation, may pay a simple vražda to the Crown for their liberty. This amnesty is absolute in perpetuity, and may not be reversed by myself or by my descendants.’

2021_07_02_43a.png
2021_07_02_44a.png

2021_07_02_44b.png
2021_07_02_45b.png

2021_07_02_46a.png
2021_07_02_48b.png

This was an unexpectedly magnanimous decree from the new king, and it met with a noise of general approval and respect from the crowd in Jihlava. Hrabě Árpád Iván of Znojmo, a distant kinsman of Czenzi’s who had risen in revolt—was sure to be pleased, as it meant he would be released upon payment of his debt.

‘Hear now my second decree: a fund of one hundred and fifty gold denár shall be given, at once, out of my personal coffers in Olomouc, into the keeping of the Orthodox Church, and His All-Holiness the Œcumenical Patriarch himself shall take stewardship of it. It is my hope and my prayer that the first-among-equals of our Church, the right-guided vouchsafer of the Word of Truth, shall in the wisdom and virtue see fit to use this money for the benefit of the poor, the bereaved, the widows and the orphans, both in our land and in those lands that have likewise been ravaged by war and hardship.’

2021_07_02_49a.png
2021_07_02_49b.png

Again this decree met with a noise of approval, though there might have been a trace of doubt in it. Why would he give the money all the way into Constantinople’s hands, when Archbishop Vladimil could disburse such a fund just as well, with results nearer to home?

‘And hear now my third decree: I shall honour all of the treaties and personal ties which my dear departed father, Radomír 2. of blessed memory, saw fit to cultivate. That includes most importantly my dear sister’s bridegroom, Konstantyn Anchabadze of Poznaň. However—I shall not spend the blood of Moravia’s fighting men without a clear just cause. All war is sin. I know this well. The only war which can be excused is a war that protects our life, or that restores justice where it is trampled down. What I swear to you now, O men of Moravia, I swear as solemnly as any treaty written in my blood or the blood of my kin. I hereby decree that as long as I am alive, with the Prince of Peace Himself as my witness, I shall never declare, and Moravia’s men and boys shall never be called on to join, any war of offence!’

2021_07_02_51b.png
2021_07_02_51a.png

This decree earned an outright cheer from the men and women assembled there—an uproarious cheer which lasted for several minutes. Many of them remembered too keenly the losses they had suffered both in the recent revolt, and in the war in the Malmfälten.

Bože, Morava, a Bohodar! Sme tvoj ľud, Ó Bohodar! Morava, Boh ochraňuja!

Such were the cries that accompanied Bohodar as he descended from his place in the town square, and as he was accompanied back to the local king’s-court in Jihlava, where he and his retinue would take their leisure before the four-days’ journey back to Olomouc. Not only in Jihlava would the so-called Jihlava Decrees by which Bohodar had inaugurated his kingship be remembered, and nor would they be soon forgotten.

~~~​

As soon as Bohodar had a private moment together with his family, he took his twelve-year-old brother Daniel aside. Now he was a knieža in his own name, not merely by virtue of his birth—though he had lost his father before he could rightly hold a sword or lead men in battle. He needed a mentor now more than ever. And so Bohodar sat down together with Dani beside the window that evening.

‘Dani—I’ve got a fourth decree that I’d like to make.’

‘A fourth?’ Dani asked. ‘Why not give it in public, then?’

‘Because it’s a promise I’d like to make only to you—if you’d allow me.’

‘Of course, brother! Name it!’

‘Dani, if you’ll agree to it—both as my younger brother and as knieža of Česko now, you’re fully within your rights to refuse me—I’ll happily serve as your guardian and guarantor, until you come of age.’

Dani considered shrewdly, weighing his options. ‘What? You? Not mamka?’

Bohodar leaned close to Dani. ‘Well, if you’d be more comfortable with mamka, I’m sure that can be arranged. But, between the two of us… she’s just lost ocko. And you know better than I do how close they were. Don’t you think we two should be the men of the family now? Leave her her space?’

Dani gave his elder brother’s shoulder a fond squeeze. ‘Very well then, Botta. I accept your decree.’

2021_07_02_50b.png
2021_07_02_50a.png

Bohodar offered an imaginary sword-hilt to his younger brother, grinning broadly. ‘Serve me well, O my sworn vassal. You shall do credit to my zbrojnošov, and bring honour and glory upon the Rychnovských.’

And so it was Bohodar who saw Dani off to bed. As soon as he was asleep, Czenzi approached her husband and began massaging his broad shoulders.

‘You’ve made a lot of promises today,’ she told him.

‘I mean to honour them.’

‘And I can only hope you mean to honour your previous promise,’ she told him sharply, striking a knot in his muscles just beneath his shoulder-blade, drawing a sour pleasurable-painful wince out of him.

‘Which one?’

‘I knew you wouldn’t remember,’ Czenzi’s wide mouth widened further. ‘But that’s alright when I’m here to remind you. You, O Kráľ, owe me a walk. A very nice, long, private walk along the Morava, if I remember right.’

‘So I do,’ Bohodar reached over his shoulder and clasped his wife’s tawny hand fondly.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Congratulations, on your new job. Can we call you Kindergarten Kop for you shall return? Martial 7, prowess 26; Botta should not devise strategy but he will be a huge morale boost for Moravian troops. How old is Duke Dani? Radomir had one kingdom, two duchies and five counties; what is division between Botta and Dani? When was last ruler to die younger than 49? Thank you for updating and we will await your return from the land of munchkins.

Thank you for two in one day. A walk along the Movava is that like husband/wife hunting trips. No offensive wars for Botta? How many and ages of children?

Cheers, @Midnite Duke!

Honestly, I'm getting in as much material here as I can before term starts next Tuesday. I'm expecting the slowdown to really hit in early September.

Botta gets that huge prowess boost from the legendary blademaster lifestyle trait (the sword-rack with three stars underneath it). I think that one levelled up each time he killed someone in battle. Given his determination not to fight in any offensive wars, that lack of martial ability shouldn't be too much of a concern...

Dani is 12 years old at this point in the game. Because of the confederate partition law, a duchy was created for him even though it didn't previously exist. He inherited that, and the county of Čáslav (where the Kutná Hora silver mine is). Bohodar got the duchy of Moravia and all the counties beneath that.

I don't think I've had any rulers die before 49, before Rado 2. here.

As Sigmund Freud once said, 'sometimes a cigar is just a cigar'. Here, sometimes a riverside walk is just a walk. :)

Botta and Czenzi currently have three children: Heléna (15), Vojtech (11) and Anna (4).

Again, thanks for commenting, and I'll be back!

Last edited:
Reactions:
II.
9 September 1155 – 8 May 1156

2021_07_02_52a.png

‘Vojta’s turning out to be quite the young gentleman,’ Czenzi noted.

She and the king were crossing over the north bridge, their feet tapping across the wooden planks. As they reached the other side, they turned off onto the dirt track that led down to the river’s edge below, and made their way along it at an easy, amiable pace.

‘Is he?’ Bohodar asked off-hand.

‘Come. Don’t tell me you don’t know about it.’ Czenzi’s mobile mouth quirked upward at him from the side. ‘Our little boy has made quite the impression on Vladimil with his errands of mercy—delivering his own old cloaks and blankets to widows’ homes in advance of the oncoming cold season. He’s taking after his father that way, clearly.’

‘And… do you approve?’

‘Well—you know me,’ Czenzi slipped her arm affectionately over the crook of her husband’s elbow and craned her neck toward his shoulder. ‘Of course it’s a fine and proper instinct in a thoughtful young man. But at first I didn’t quite appreciate him doing my work for me. It isn’t a man’s job to go paying visits and running social errands.’

Bohodar let out a cough that might have been disguising a laugh.

‘What? What is it?’

‘Don’t you go telling me you wouldn’t insist on paying calls, even if it were a man’s job by your lights.’

The Magyar Kráľovná gave him a light, friendly slap on his near shoulder. ‘Good thing they’re not just my lights, then, but established custom. It’s only proper for a wife to manage and smoothe her husband’s friendships and acquaintance—just like looking after the children myself is only proper! As Almighty God in Great Blue Heaven sees me, I’ve never understood why you Slavs adopted that horrible német practice of hiring wet-nurses and nannies to do for your children what a mother ought!’

‘Now, don’t be too hard on them,’ the half-Anglo-Danish Bohodar chided Czenzi. ‘The tutor offered us this chance, didn’t she?’

‘Because I know you appreciate your time alone and out-of-doors,’ Czenzi offered considerately.

‘Doesn’t being out here bring back memories, though?’

‘What, you kicking me in the shins?’ Czenzi smirked. She slipped her hand out of his arm, unbooted and unwrapped her heels, lifted her skirts and went ankle-deep in the shallows.

morava_near_olomouc.jpg

Bohodar felt his heart skip, watching her sable hair cascade down over her shoulders. Of course she was perfectly aware of the memories it brought back. Even though he was thirty-one and she thirty-five now, joined fifteen years in the single bed of an honourable marriage, the parents of three beautiful children—even though they could now speak each other’s tongues as naturally as they could their own—somehow she was causing time to stall and wrap around itself. He was watching the ‘Krescencie’ he’d just met play around in the water, in the sweet innocence of a youth long past. Bohodar found himself caught somewhere between a chuckle and a tear in the eye. He was convinced in the depths of his soul, as time continued to whirl in its strange eddy, that he had always loved Czenzi—had loved her out of the depths of his heart—since the very day and the very hour that they’d met.

And it caught his eye, in that moment. It was resting right against his heel in the stony bank where he stood. Half a mussel shell. Perfect and pearlescent. A mirror of the one she’d given him, way back then.

‘Krescencie!’ Bohodar called out to her.

Igen?

She turned in the water, her hiked-up skirts in her hands, her amber eyes sparkling, her mouth parted in a vibrant grin. The same grin he remembered upon her nine-year-old face. Bohodar bent and picked up the mussel shell, went to the water’s edge, and with ceremony presented it to her with both hands. She glided back to shore toward him and—never minding that her skirts fell into the water and got wet—took it in the same wise.

Ez kettőt jelent, amit nekem adtál,’ she whispered to him.

Urob z nich medailónik,’ Bohodar answered her. ‘Môžeš v ňom držať… moje srdce.

Their kiss drew time itself into a perfect circle. A five-year-old Slovien boy, and a nine-year-old Magyar girl, standing in the shallows of the Morava, drew their innocent lips together and gave each other’s warm, pure and fluttering hearts into each other’s outstretched hands.

2021_07_02_53a.png
2021_07_02_54a.png

~~~​

It had become something of a weekly custom, even when Prisnec had been king, for Czenzi to invite the noble ladies of Moravia to join her in conversations and snacks, which she was happy to provide. She had early on discovered that the ladies were not all fond of kumisz, and so she had gracefully switched to a more conventional and broadly-appreciated red wine. The pogácsa, on the other hand—pan-fried Hungarian pastries with a dumpling-like filling of meat, fresh cheese or turnips—had been a hit, especially with Gorislava Pavelková (who fancied herself something of a gourmet). And so there was usually a trencher of those readily available for the ladies to sample.

‘You are in rather a good mood today,’ Vojvodkyňa Ladina observed of her hostess as she sipped at a glass of wine during one of these weekly meetings.

‘Oh, no more so than usual,’ Czenzi replied. Ladina and Gorislava shared an unconvinced smirk.

‘Must be the entertainment she has planned for us today,’ hinted Slavomíra Bijelahrvatskića.

‘Well,’ Czenzi owned frankly, ‘Not to boast, but… Alswit-anyós has had a copy of the Exeter Book in her own tongue from when she was little. It was given to her by Grandpa Prisnec. The way I hear it, the former king wanted Anyós to keep touch with her English roots, despite her being raised as a fosterling here in Olomouc. The Kráľ himself agreed to read it aloud for us today—he’s one of the privileged few who’s allowed to touch Anyós’s books.’

2021_07_02_55a.png

‘Ahh, yes,’ Ladina sighed with a sniffy note of disapproval. ‘I do remember that tome. And if I am remembering correctly, not one or two of those poems are on the more salacious side of things.’

‘Ladina,’ Czenzi chuckled, ‘I assure you that Botta will only keep to the front half of the book. I doubt we’ll get to any of the more off-colour riddles.’

Bohodar arrived at the appointed time, having in his hands the desired book, and met all four of the ladies in their sitting-room on the northern side of the castle. After Czenzi bade him to start from the front of the book—but surprise them all with poems taken from therein at random—the Kráľ did his best. He understood enough of both his mother’s tongue and his father’s, to do passable translations of the riddles from the Exeter Book on the fly.

I am busy with light; I sport with the wind.
Wound ‘bout with wonder; by weather enwrapped.
Bound forth on a way, by fire bothered.
A blossoming branch, a burning brand.
Often friends send me from hand to hand,
That men and women might boldly kiss me.
When I rise up, they bow down to me,
Many with gladness, as upon men I shall
Grow their oncoming blessings.
’​

‘Hmmm…’ Slavomíra considered. ‘Lots of plant imagery there. It must be some kind of tree, to be bothered by fire – a blossoming branch and a burning brand.’

‘I agree there, but there’s more to it. Do men often go passing trees around to kiss them?’ Ladina added.

‘I know—!’ Czenzi sent one of her fists into an open palm, her amber eyes brightening. ‘A piece of wood which burns with light as well as fire. Perhaps gilt? And when it rises up, men bow down… what other kind of wood would we gladly bow down to when it’s shown to us, or kiss when it’s passed to us, or hope to receive blessings from? It’s the priest’s Cross!’

priestwcross.png

Bohodar gave his wife a nod and a wink of affirmation. She glowed. He flipped to another page, cleared his throat, and recited another.

My rail is still when I tread the ground,
Or abide in the river-town, or drift in the wade.
Betimes my habit lifts me high, over
Hero-bight and heights of hurst,
And welkin-strength beareth me far
Over dwellings of folk. My fair tokens
Sing loud and sonorate
With lovely tones—when I thole not
Floating or roosting, a faring-guest.
’​

‘Okay…’ Slavomíra ventured. ‘Something that flies. Clearly a bird.’

‘And a pretty one at that, if it has a “habit” and a “rail” that is deemed “fair”,’ Czenzi added.

‘Wait,’ Gorislava chimed in, considering carefully. ‘There’s more to it than that. He said “floating or roosting”, “abide in the river-town”, and “drift in the wade”. It’s a waterfowl… a waterfowl with a beautiful voice—a swan!’

labut.jpg

‘And one point for our Kňažná of Podkarpatská!’ Bohodar opened a palm to Gorislava, who grinned. ‘I’d imagine you might get a fair few of those migrating by Maramoroš, yes? Nice. I’ll say these are too easy. Moving on, then…
I saw treading turf—ten were in all,
Six brothers, and their sisters with them;
Quick and having fere, their hides hung,
Tidily to be seen on the wall of the house,
Each and every one, nor was any the worse
Nor side the sorer, though thus they must,
Of clothing bereft, aroused by the watch
Of heaven’s Lord. With mouths they slice
The ashen blades. Their rail is renewed,
From there forthcoming, their tokens they leave
Lying forgotten as they tread the ground.
’​

‘Well, that’s a fright and a half,’ Ladina shuddered. ‘What sort of living creature leaves their skin hanging on the wall of their house?’

‘But “nor was any the worse”, “nor side the sorer”. Whatever that meant, they didn’t seem to have come to any harm by it,’ observed Slavomíra sensibly. ‘And “though thus they must” and “aroused by the watch of heaven’s Lord” suggests that they do so naturally, whatever they are.’

Snakes and lizards shed their skins without hurting themselves,’ Ladina bristled again, shuddering.

‘Ten siblings—six brothers,’ Slavomíra went on, thinking to herself. ‘I guess that leaves four sisters. I’m put in mind of a litter of newborn pups.’

‘They lose their clothing, but then “their rail is renewed”…’ Czenzi considered. For a moment it look like she had some kind of epiphany, but she shook her head. She looked toward Gorislava, who shrugged blankly. The ladies were silent for a long moment.

‘… Give up?’ asked Bohodar with a wicked smirk.

‘Not for a moment,’ Czenzi glared at him. ‘Give us a little while. What about those “ashen blades” that they “slice” with their “mouths”? Slavomíra—I think you might be onto something with those newborn pups of yours. But pups are born blind and helpless. Whatever these are—they’re clearly not that.’

‘Okay, let’s think, then,’ Slavomíra suggested to Czenzi. ‘Whatever these are, they’re not born helpless, but they are born naked, or… without skin?’

‘Are we sure about that?’ asked Gorislava. ‘The riddle just said “of clothing bereft”. So now I’m thinking of birds again. Eggs hatching—couldn’t we say that that’s “bereaving” the newborns of “clothing”? And birds would have to peck their way out of their eggshells, their “mouths” “slicing” “ashen blades”, don’t you see?’

Czenzi laughed. ‘Our Gorislava has birds on the brain today!’

‘She’s close, though,’ Bohodar muttered.

You—shush,’ Czenzi smirked at her husband. ‘The riddle-master isn’t allowed to drop hints.’

Chickens,’ Gorislava said suddenly. ‘Or rather—chicks! Ten hatchlings in a nest. Their skin sticks to the eggshell when they peck their way through, but then their coat of down grows in and dries out!’

‘She got it,’ the Kráľ tilted his head toward her, before adding bracingly for his wife’s benefit, ‘and with no help from me, I’ll add. Shall we go on?’

Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 09-49-00 511e9cfb9a542.webp (WEBP Image 620 × 466 pixels).png

‘Please, let’s!’ said Slavomíra. Ladina, Czenzi and Gorislava all nodded their agreement.

Bohodar flipped to another page.

I saw a thing in the barrows of men
That feeds the fee, full of teeth.
Its neb is of note: it netherward goes.
It hauls into harbour and tugs toward home.
It elts along walls, it seeks for herbs.
All things it findeth—those not tied down.
It lets those fair things which are fast
Stand still in their woning-steads,
Bright and blithe, blooming and growing.
’​

‘Something that goes neb-down, is full of teeth, and drags up things along walls which aren’t “tied down”? Well, that’s a common garden rake,’ Slavomíra guessed at once.

‘Got it in one,’ Bohodar told the kňažná.

ID679-main.png

They went on for some time longer in this wise, until the sun got low in the sky outside the window. True to his word, Bohodar kept himself to the front of the book, and skipped over the more ribald riddles which he found, for Ladina’s benefit. Actually, Bohodar took on a strong suspicion, to garner from the ancient old lady’s benevolently gleaming eye, that she actually solved a lot of these riddles in her mind long before any of the younger women did, but was letting her younger friends talk and reason their way toward them on their own—sometimes doing some gentle hinting and nudging of her own along the way. Czenzi noticed this too, and caught her husband’s eye appreciatively.

After Czenzi saw her guests off to their own rooms and dwellings in town, she turned to her husband and told him:

‘Thank you. It means a lot to me that you spend time together with me and my friends.’

‘And you seemed to be enjoying yourselves, more to the point.’

Czenzi turned to her husband and caught his hands in hers. She then drew her arms around him, pressed in against him and lifted up her face expectantly. Bohodar obliged her. Actually—even though they’d been husband and wife this long, he never ceased to be amazed at the sheer skill of her kisses. A mouth as long as hers seemed to be built for it, but then she also knew just how to use her tongue and her teeth to guide—stir—slow or speed as she liked—excite her younger lover to the slow simmer she wanted. By the time she broke away, Bohodar was left smouldering and longing for more.

Czenzi caught her husband’s gaze and held it a long time with her own yearning amber one. She lifted her shoulders in a wide, eloquent shrug, and Bohodar obediently unlaced her gown in the places she had thus indicated. Then she took him and swung him inside the door of their bedroom.

Their whole world condensed down to their bed—and further down, to their two shared bodies, as they went about the business of loving and pleasuring each other. Bohodar was familiar enough by now with his wife’s body to understand the way she preferred to be embraced. Here too Czenzi was a lover of tradition—with a twist: one leg below and between his; the other either lifting up over his shoulder or wrapped to the side around his waist. Thus entwined and partly mobile, Czenzi still had the advantage of being able to look into his eyes, reach up to his neck and reel him down for kisses if she felt like it… or simply lie back beneath him and enjoy the undulating motion of their hips rolling together. But now it was a little different, different in subtle ways. The tenderness that Bohodar was showing this time, reaching down and stroking her along one cheek, or teasing aside a strand or two of sable-black hair as his expression wordlessly conveyed the movements of his mind and his heart… were enough for Czenzi to feel cherished, not merely desiredneeded, not just wanted. She reached up to touch him just as gently as he was doing to her.

One stroke of the finger behind his ear was enough to make his breath to catch—and her own heart to flutter in response, so intimately were they joined. A tremble. A groan. And then the dénouement.

But they stayed linked in lairteam for who knows how long after… Bohodar rolling off to one side, holding her and touching her all the while. Like the unspoken solutions to the riddles they both knew, they needed no words between them to understand.

2021_07_03_1a.png

Last edited:
  • 2Love
Reactions: