• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Botta-Czenzi relationship is too cute for words. Bohodar, with a 17-8-10-8-11 stat line before he acquires his final education, is going to have a formidable base. (The education level differences in CK3 seem less pronounced than in CK2 where the difference between two and three star was significant.) Czenzi looks to be a great help-mate. Her Magyer culture will probably be very useful in Moravia. Young Love is wonderful. The river valley pictures are beautiful with the final begging for added info as the two shores are so different. Thank you, kind historian.

Bohodar's stats are indeed quite good - one of the reasons I picked Alswit as a wife for Radomír, despite her coming from a different culture and religious tradition, was that her mum Wulfgifu's raw stats were excellent. CK3 does still allow for a mild form of eugenics... actually not so mild when one considers the 'Blood' dynasty perks.

I can't help but like Czenzi. She does get to be quite an interesting character later. Coming up with cultural and social rules for a group of Magyars that 'stayed behind' in the Pontic Steppe rather than following Almos into Pannonia was a rather interesting alt-history challenge.

We've had plenty of interesting consorts, but Czenzi promises to take the cake! I hope she'll still be able to see her share of action outside the castle walls after she becomes queen - assuming that happens as planned.

Speaking of consorts, in my last comment I forgot to mention that the funniest moment in the AAR for me so far is when Dolz goes "Mouaf". As a Frenchie I found that bit of attention to cultural detail very gratifying! :p

Czenzi does indeed get her moment to shine! (Multiple of them, actually.)

And I'm glad you appreciated that little detail re: Dolz! Again, that whole section was kind of a tongue-in-cheek attempt to ride the line between titillation and comedy, so it's gratifying to get the feedback that the comedic element came off strong.

II.​

The road to Szarka was an easy one, and Bohodar found he remembered practically nothing of it; he merely found himself staring awestruck at his intended, and marvelling at the winsome profile of her caramel-hued face. That was when she took the lead. Though Bohodar didn’t notice at the time, when their positions were reversed and he had to take the lead, Czenzi took full advantage of the view of her prospective groom from behind. She discreetly admired a broad set of shoulders, a strong back and a well-formed rump and haunches. These physical graces of youth, in addition to his earnest and gentle face, had twice won her over, though she would admit nothing of that to him as yet.

‘You speak Moravian?’ asked Bohodar.

Czenzi gave a diffident nod. ‘Very poorly, I must own. I hope my accent is not too strong?’

‘Not at all,’ Bohodar shook his head with vigour. Our language is graced by such a charming tongue, is what he thought later, and kicked himself inwardly for not having said aloud to her when it mattered.

‘And you learned to speak Magyar nyelv,’ Czenzi’s face brightened. ‘You honour us! Our speech does not come easily to outsiders.’

‘I studied hard,’ Botta answered.

2021_06_30_131a.png

God, why do I still sound like such a child? “I studied hard”? What kind of answer is that, Botta? You can hold your own in discussing the Politeia, the Phædo and even the Parmenides with the greatest minds the Moravian court can host, so why can’t you hold more than two or three words’ converse with Czenzi? And why do they all come out sounding so puerile?

At length they came to another bend in the Dniester River, upon the right bank. They came down a shallow hill-slope that descended toward a pair of cliffs on the near side of the river, and seated at the base of the cliffs was a broad encampment of yurts, together with a common sheepfold and horsepen. Although the Magyars of conquered Pannonia had by now been thoroughly sedentarised, the Magyars of the Csángóföld still held stubbornly onto the old ways of the steppe.

md_yurtvillage.jpg

Árpád Czenzi led him down into the encampment. As they passed by the round frames covered with vibrantly-coloured felt and hung with various ornaments and charms, the campfires, the tarp-covered overhangs and low tables beneath which served as dining halls, the rough-hewn posts and fence-brackets which served as brief tethering for horses, Bohodar took notice of a three-bar cross erected on the eastern side of the camp, with a table resting before it that was clearly used as an Orthodox altar. However, the altar table’s legs were carved in frightful and grotesque images, of human figures in exaggerated proportions.

‘What’s with the altar?’ asked Bohodar.

Czenzi assured him, ‘These are to ward off the enemies of the Faith and the jealous servants of the Evil One. Such images prevent… szemmelverés. Not sure how you’d say that in Moravian.’

Bohodar nodded understanding, though he wasn’t sure if he quite approved of the theology. These Magyars had but lately embraced Christ, it was probably to be expected that they retained some aspects of their old magic and sky-worship beliefs.

Czenzi led him into the largest yurt, which was located in a half-circle of large yurts and was pegged to the highest ground in the camp. The doorframe was covered over by a rich brocade, which Czenzi pulled aside with her hand, and ducked her head to enter. She bade Bohodar come through as well, and he did. Botta found himself at once within a cosily-appointed nomadic chieftain’s abode, with a rug on the floor and a pit for a large fire in the centre. The roof-wheel which could be opened to the sky to allow smoke through and light in, was as big across as the span of one of Botta’s arms. The walls of the yurt, which were set up in a lattice of light wood, bore various ornaments and hunting trophies. And seated inside the yurt, on cushions around a dastarkhan, were three other women.

dastarkhan.jpg

Czenzi bowed to each of the three women in turn, beginning with the eldest. She gave each of them a formal greeting before introducing Bohodar to them.

‘Bohodar Rychnovský, this is my sister-in-law Borbála, and my two sisters by blood, Rózsa and Emőke. All of us belong to the Árpád-Hotin clan lineage.’

The rather corpulent Borbála gave a stiff, haughty nod in answer, but the blond-haired Rózsa and the black-haired Emőke did not bother to hide their enthusiasm on greeting him. Both of them, he noticed, had the same high, well-defined cheekbones as their younger sister. They both invited him to sit down at the dastarkhan, but Czenzi insisted upon serving Bohodar the first bowl of koumiss and the first and choicest cut of fish. She also ladled him out a large portion of savoury pörkölt besides, and several pieces of lepénykenyér flatbread flavoured with garlic and butter.

Bohodar found himself mildly embarrassed at being waited on like this. He made a motion to assure Czenzi that he was quite alright to take the food for himself, but Emőke nudged him lightly in the ribs while her younger sister was busy.

‘Best not to get in her way,’ the older girl told him with a wink. ‘Our Czenzi’s a very traditional-minded girl—far more so than me!—and this is how she shows she cares. How do you think she went out to meet you today?’

‘I… hadn’t thought about it.’

‘Well, let me tell you,’ Emőke grinned wickedly. ‘She’s been riding out on that northwest patrol every week since she turned twenty. I’ll give you three guesses why, and the first two don’t count.’

Both Bohodar and Czenzi blushed brightly at that. Smaller talk ensued as Bohodar and the four women ate at the dastarkhan, and as Czenzi left the teld to clean up afterward, Bohodar followed her. She had gone down to the Dniester’s bank to draw some water. When she turned to see Bohodar behind her, she again blushed.

‘Please, don’t pay Emőke much mind,’ she told Bohodar. ‘She’s always liked teasing me.’

But Bohodar stepped forward and boldly gripped her by the hand. Czenzi did not flinch, cry out or draw away. There was a pressure in his chest that made it difficult to breathe as he did so. The fifteen-year-old boy leaned forward, and Czenzi answered by turning her well-defined jaw up toward his face. There was only a moment’s hesitation between them. Drawing in a sharp breath, Bohodar noted upon her a scent like fresh plums. And then their lips touched as they drew together. Botta had never felt anything like it before: new sensations sparked off in Bohodar’s mind, and the touch of Czenzi’s moist lips was submerging him in a sea of raw, elemental desires. It had never occurred to him that he might be sought after, in the same way that he sought after her—and yet here she was, twining her arms around his back and pulling him close, holding him tight with an aching need that mirrored his own. When they broke apart, Czenzi’s high cheeks were brightly coloured, and her breath was coming quickly.

‘I’d better finish up here,’ Czenzi told him at last, running one hand over Bohodar’s pounding chest. ‘You should go back up before me. Don’t worry—I’ll be up in a moment.’

It was with some reluctance that Bohodar climbed the bank again up toward the encampment. His heart was still pounding in his chest. Somehow every hue seemed more vibrant, every scent more fresh… That Czenzi had waited this patiently for him, and desired him, was a knowledge for him too precious for words. It was hard to describe, but it made his whole world more alive.

However, as he made his way back to the chieftain’s yurt, he saw two unfamiliar horses, a bit winded (and therefore newly-arrived), tethered at the post just outside the half-circle. He went inside the teld, where he heard the ladies of the house discussing something with two distinct male voices.

As he entered, bowing to his hosts, he noticed that one of the men was indeed Árpád Károly, Czenzi’s fair-haired brother. The other was a man whom he did not recognise, though he had the same Asiatic features as the Magyars—black hair and a thin beard. If he had to guess his years, Bohodar would have put them around forty. He had a long, thin scar running from the right side of his forehead, across his brow and nose and down his left cheek.

2022_07_03_1.png

‘There, you see?’ Emőke gestured with her whole hand toward where Botta was standing in the open tent-flap. ‘He has already arrived. Backing out now will do you no good?’

‘But the priest is not here,’ Károly objected. ‘It’s still only a betrothal.’

‘Károly,’ Borbála chided her husband. ‘Show your manners.’

‘Ah,’ Károly turned to Bohodar at last, extending a hand. ‘I am indeed sorry, Bohodar, that you have come all this way. I sent a message to Olomouc. You never received it?’

‘I did not,’ Bohodar shook his head warily. ‘Why? What is the matter?’

‘I… wanted to tell your grandfather,’ Károly motioned to him, ‘that the betrothal is off. The bride-price for Czenzi shall be sent back to you, of course, with my apologies.’

Bohodar was stunned. ‘What?’

‘My sister will not be marrying you,’ Károly said bluntly. ‘You are free. Again, my apologies for the inconvenience to you.’

‘I—I don’t understand,’ Bohodar stammered. ‘My grandfather and I can have done nothing to deserve this sudden breach of our agreement—!’

‘Nonetheless,’ Károly told him, ‘Czenzi will be marrying Büzir-Üzünköl, the bey of İstarlımanı.’

The forty-year-old with black hair and beard stepped forward, arms akimbo, looking haughtily up and down the fair-faced youth. Bohodar glared back at the bey of İstarlımanı, this sudden and unexpected rival for Czenzi’s hand.

Last edited:
  • 2Love
Reactions:
the first and choicest cut of fish. She also ladled him out a large portion of savoury pörkölt besides, and several pieces of lepénykenyér
Mmmh, delicious.

Now hearing the growl in the stomach, have to lunch a second time. Great, thanks Revan86:D

They both invited him to sit down at the dastarkhan, but Czenzi insisted upon serving Bohodar the first bowl of koumiss
It seems Bohyasha the youngest can hold his alcohol quite proper; judging by the words he did not even flinch with the kumisz.

Then again he is at the presence of his beloved, so that might have hyper-increased his drinking abilities too.

The forty-year-old with black hair and beard stepped forward, arms akimbo, looking haughtily up and down the fair-faced youth. Bohodar glared back at the bey of İstarlımanı, this sudden and unexpected rival for Czenzi’s hand.
...and the plot thickens - drums beating the sky with thunders.

• 1Like
Reactions:
40yo count vs 15yo king's grandson. Is Odessa or Moravia closer to Karoly? Neither of correct cultural group. Both correct religion. While the count is a great military leader, both are ok fighters but not great. Botta is better in other four. With the count's 0 intrigue, Czensi/Botta can give him a bottle with a skull and crossbones and tell him to drink as it helps your bones be stronger. Thank you for showing us life among the yurts.

Mmmh, delicious.

Now hearing the growl in the stomach, have to lunch a second time. Great, thanks Revan86:D

my-job-here-is-done-bye.gif

It seems Bohyasha the youngest can hold his alcohol quite proper; judging by the words he did not even flinch with the kumisz.

Then again he is at the presence of his beloved, so that might have hyper-increased his drinking abilities too.

...and the plot thickens - drums beating the sky with thunders.

I was under the impression that kumisz was only mildly fermented, somewhat like small beer. (At least, the stuff I tried when I was living in Kazakhstan was pretty mild, but maybe that wasn't the real stuff...)

40yo count vs 15yo king's grandson. Is Odessa or Moravia closer to Karoly? Neither of correct cultural group. Both correct religion. While the count is a great military leader, both are ok fighters but not great. Botta is better in other four. With the count's 0 intrigue, Czensi/Botta can give him a bottle with a skull and crossbones and tell him to drink as it helps your bones be stronger. Thank you for showing us life among the yurts.

Hehe. Actually, yes, Odessa is closer to Soroca than Moravia is (as the map in this section of the chapter will show). And yes, the two of them are about evenly matched in terms of prowess, even though Botta is clearly more of a talker than a fighter overall. But! On with the chapter...

III.​

‘This is outrageous,’ Czenzi hissed at her brother when she heard the news. ‘Why in God’s name did you decide—? At the drop of a feather? Without bothering to consult me? Have you gone utterly mad?’

Károly shook his head. ‘Marrying Bohodar would bring you, and all of us, no end of trouble. Look at Moravia now—torn down the middle between Olomouc and Nitra! And every time a new civil war broke out to the west of us, we would be forced to send good Magyar riders and spend our own blood and treasure… for nought to our own gain. And we have our own security and position to think of here.’

‘“Security and position”?’ his sister repeated disbelievingly.

‘Surely, sister, you cannot be blind to the advantages. İstarlımanı is a rich Black Sea port. Büzir-Üzünköl is independent, and his lands border upon our own. You would not be lacking in adornments and refinements! And unlike this Bohodar, Büzir-Üzünköl is unlikely to call us into any wars.’

2022_07_04_1a.png

Czenzi regarded her brother with mounting anger. Károly had always had an eye for wealth and advantage, but this was going too far. ‘I do not desire adornment and refinement! But you—! You would sacrifice the credit of our family name—the honour of the Árpádok—out of fear of involvement? Desiring safety? Desiring money?’

‘Don’t be such a naïf, sister,’ Károly scoffed. ‘If you do not think such dealings were behind Álmos and the blood-oath of the Council of Seven, then you ought to head back to the wet-nurse. This is how the world works. You would do well to consider the matter thoroughly.’

‘I have,’ Czenzi spat. ‘I learned the Moravian tongue, I studied the ways of the Moravian court. All these ten years, I have decided to marry no one but the man who is promised to me.’

‘And Bohodar is now no longer promised to you,’ Károly smoothly retorted. ‘So now you can decide in favour of Büzir-Üzünköl, who is.’

~~~

yurts_md.jpg

Czenzi’s two elder sisters, Rózsa and Emőke, were as incensed as she was by their brother’s fickle-mindedness. Breaking a betrothal at the eleventh hour was outrageous enough, but once the two sisters learned of his reasons from Czenzi they were even more enraged and ashamed of their brother.

Rózsa shook her head slowly. ‘How can we countenance such short-sightedness?’

‘Or such cowardice,’ Emőke’s brow darkened, ‘to go back on his word for fear of Magyars joining a civil war in Moravia?’

‘But what can we do?’ asked Czenzi, biting her lower lip.

‘Well, there’s always the, uh… traditional way,’ Rózsa advised. ‘Even if you’re married off to this Büzir-Üzünköl bey, we can set it up so that you’re “kidnapped” by your prior groom.’

‘But far from making peace between us,’ Czenzi objected, ‘my menekülni might lead to tensions or war.’

‘I’m afraid there’s no getting out of this one without a scrap, Czenzi,’ Emőke told her. ‘Your Bohodar has greater strength of will than I thought he would—he hasn’t left yet, even now that Father Szilveszter has returned, and he doesn’t look likely to before he’s pressed his case. But you know that if you’d rather he did so openly than by stealth, that leaves only one option: single combat.’

Evidently Bohodar had come to the same conclusion. He wasn’t about to admit failure and defeat after having come this far, and although he did not know the Magyar customs, he nevertheless understood that his claim as Czenzi’s intended from childhood was the stronger one by any just standard.

Bohodar was already at the central ground of the Szarka yurt camp when Czenzi came out. He was declaiming publicly, and in a loud voice, against Károly, with Büzir-Üzünköl standing beside him. Bohodar had already thrown one of his riding-gloves on the ground before the Khazar bey of İstarlımanı.

‘As her betrothed I hold firmly, and maintain, my prior claim upon Czenzi as wife, and upon Árpád Károly of Szarka as ally,’ he was concluding, ‘and I shall prove my case against Büzir-Üzünköl before Almighty God with my blood and flesh!’

Czenzi strode forward into the centre ground and raised her voice above the babble of the Magyars who had gathered around to watch the confrontation.

‘Brother, I have a request to make.’

Károly was already heartily embarrassed by the whole situation—as well he should have been. He sighed.

‘What is it, sister?’

‘Let the challenge not be to the death,’ she requested, ‘but to first blood.’

Czenzi’s request was far from disinterested. A shorter contest favoured Bohodar. She reasoned that her preferred groom would have youth and speed on his side at first; and the longer the combat went on, the more opportunity the more experienced Büzir-Üzünköl would have to harry him and wear him down. And further she held out the hope that, even if Bohodar lost, he would live. Even then, there might be the opportunity for the ‘traditional’ steppe method of menekülni egy lánnyal: that Bohodar could ‘kidnap’ her and make her his bride in that fashion. As for Károly, his double-dealing had already been exposed publicly, to his shame. The sooner this whole affair was over and all doubts laid to rest, the better. He nodded.

‘I will permit it,’ he said. ‘Let the ground be drawn.’

A tent-stake was driven into the ground and a donkey tethered to it on a twenty-foot lead. An elderly Magyar man went behind the donkey, sprinkling lime over the grass. The combatants were not permitted to leave the resulting circle in the grass, or else they would forfeit. Both Bohodar and Büzir-Üzünköl entered the circle bare-headed and bare-chested, the better for observers to tell if blood had been shed. Bohodar wielded a one-handed Moravian sekera with a wooden haft, while the bey wielded a Turkic kılıc with its typical curved single blade.

Czenzi took a single cloth from the bosom of her jacket, held it in the air, and let it float to the ground.

The moment the cloth touched the ground, Bohodar and Büzir-Üzünköl leapt at each other. The contest had begun.

There was a flurry of movement and a great clangour of steel on steel as the blades swung and thrusted and turned each other aside. Bohodar grunted at each stroke—his opponent was not only quite strong, but also daring and fierce. His strokes were almost reckless, and pardine in their intensity, and although Bohodar could see the openings that he was leaving, Büzir-Üzünköl was upon him too savagely for him to make best use of them. It was all Botta could do to keep the sabre from cutting or piercing a lethal blow. First blood or not, his opponent was fighting to win, and aiming his blows to kill.

Bohodar tried to concentrate on keeping his footing and keeping himself inside the circle of lime powder. He kept his knees bent, his thighs relaxed, and his feet mobile underneath him. Loss and victory—not to mention life or death—could ride upon less than an inch of space between him and his opponent. Thankfully, their weapons were about evenly matched in terms of length, and Bohodar had shot up sufficiently over the past year that he was not one whit the worse in reach and stride than his foe.

Still, Büzir-Üzünköl managed to keep pushing him back, back, further back… toward the edge of the circle of lime. If he stepped outside, that would lose God’s favour and Czenzi’s hand for him as well. Bohodar planted his rear foot ever so slightly to the left of where it would otherwise go, and the two of them skirted excruciatingly clockwise around the edge of the ring. In vain Bohodar tried to find a means of placing Büzir-Üzünköl on the wrong foot, but no such opportunity presented itself despite the fury of his sabre-strokes. A stray thought told Bohodar that Büzir-Üzünköl must make a formidable commander indeed upon the field of battle—yet the whole of his stance was forward and out front. There was not a whit of guile or finesse to this middle-aged Turk. Grudgingly, Bohodar found he had to respect that too.

The longer this went on, Bohodar knew, the more likely Büzir-Üzünköl would be to wrong-foot him and deliver the finishing blow. And the haft of his axe, in the meanwhile, had caught several notches from the kılıc of his opponent, barely turned away. But Büzir-Üzünköl had not drawn blood yet, praise God! Bohodar stepped a half step inward and circled around, making what looked like a clumsy lunge at his enemy’s flank. Büzir-Üzünköl took the bait and swung at Bohodar’s exposed spot. But the youngster had a good understanding of where his weight was settled, and he reversed with a single smooth movement. His sekera blade came up before his shoulder did, and left the bey carrying forward toward the ground.

Bohodar stepped into the breach and gave his axe-handle a quick turn and a flick. He felt the resistance against the haft, and knew at once that he had drawn blood. A long but unmistakeable graze appeared on Büzir-Üzünköl’s side, and a split-second later began oozing blood.

‘Halt!’ said Czenzi. ‘The fight is over.’

Bohodar turned. He was panting and sweating all over, and his head was still thick and pounding with blood from the exertion. He drew back from the Turk, who drew himself up to his full height, scowling. With one wiry arm he tossed his sabre aside into the grass, and strode forward toward his younger opponent, who flung his axe aside—he would not raise steel against an unarmed opponent, already fairly beaten. Czenzi strode forward, but she was too far away to intervene. Botta put up his arms and got ready to ward off a blow from the wounded, sweating but still-menacing Turk, but instead Büzir-Üzünköl grasped his arm. The glower melted away from his face and a wide, leonine grin replaced it.

‘Well-fought, balam!’ Büzir-Üzünköl exclaimed. ‘That’s a fair fight and a fair loss for me.’

A bit stunned and surprised, Bohodar answered the handshake.

‘No hard feelings?’ asked Bohodar.

‘None at all!’ Büzir-Üzünköl laughed. ‘I admire a man who can contest the prize that he wants, and do so openly without stealth, like a true son of Great Heaven. You fight like a true Khazar. You must have some of our blood in you!’

Bohodar declined to mention his paternal grandmother’s heritage. ‘I’m—I’m honoured, sir.’

The Khazar bey clapped Bohodar on the shoulder. ‘If you would honour me, then you take good care of your bride. Remember always the wager you set upon her. May Great Heaven grant it that we meet each other again; I’d love to spar with you again to keep myself keen.’

2021_06_30_132a.png

Büzir-Üzünköl stepped toward Károly, whose face was still stiff with mortification. ‘I formally withdraw my suit for your sister’s hand, sir, and yield to her former betrothed. Even my strength could not overcome such an oath sworn in the open.’

Bohodar was still a bit gobsmacked, winded and aching and tired as he was. Büzir-Üzünköl’s fierceness he had expected, but he had not foreseen the man’s decency.

‘Come,’ Czenzi told Bohodar, gripping him by the hand after he had dressed. ‘Let’s go to the altar.’

Father Szilveszter, an old white-beard who bore an Orthodox cassock and kamilavka, but nonetheless carried a hide drum together with the cross and decorated his omophorion with bells and talismans to ward off szemmelverés, accompanied the bride and groom to the altar—followed at some distance by the still-sour Károly. Szilveszter presented Bohodar and Czenzi with the wreaths of summer flowers, which they placed upon each other’s heads, and then spoke the liturgical words that solemnised their oaths to each other in the sight of God. Czenzi lifted her face to receive with joy her second kiss from Bohodar. With that their marriage was sealed.

2021_06_30_133b.png

However, she said to him: ‘Please, Bohodar—husband—I know you have been through so much so far, and done so much for my sake, but… may I ask your forbearance a couple of nights longer? I don’t ask this out of perversity—I only wish to bring you to a certain place first. Would you accompany me there?’

Bohodar nodded. ‘I shall indeed accompany you, wife.’

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Botta/Czenzi still too cute. The duel may have been a set-up. The Count was not a real suitor, but Karoly wanted to see if Botta was worthy. Several game play questions, was there any second suitor, was Czenzi able to give her own consent. Thank you for the wonderful pictures of yurt life.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Botta/Czenzi still too cute. The duel may have been a set-up. The Count was not a real suitor, but Karoly wanted to see if Botta was worthy. Several game play questions, was there any second suitor, was Czenzi able to give her own consent. Thank you for the wonderful pictures of yurt life.

Cheers, @Midnite Duke! Glad you're enjoying it!

So, regarding the gameplay questions:

- Count Busir was not a real suitor to Czenzi and the betrothal was never broken; I just used him for the storytelling here. Karoly, however, really was something of a greedy bastard personality-wise.
- The reason Czenzi was able to give her own consent was because she was not a member of Karoly's court at this time. She was a guest of Duke Zdeslav, who was a vassal in neighbouring Wallachia. I wanted the marriage to take place in Soroca, though, so I took a few liberties for the sake of the AAR here.

Reactions:
I was under the impression that kumisz was only mildly fermented, somewhat like small beer. (At least, the stuff I tried when I was living in Kazakhstan was pretty mild, but maybe that wasn't the real stuff...)
You are correct, whether kazak qımız or hungarian kumisz, it is a mild drink at best, not comparable to vodka, whisky, nor rakı, not even wine in terms of the impact by abv. Its trick, however, comes from the nature of it, as it is generally perceived as a dairy product by the first-look, of course. Once tasted, it shatters the expectation of the unaware, and since it is generally a mild one (there may be heavy-loaded products somewhere, not exactly mass produced), it can be consumed wildly. Similar to three pints of guinness within 18 min. One thinks hey that's nice, feelin' good, so goes further for the tenth pint. The rest is blue world in the mist. True story.:D

Botta should be fine, though. He had other concerns regarding earning the hand of his beloved, so it would be liquid-courage-shot (for a couple of seconds) for him.
Büzir-Üzünköl stepped toward Károly, whose face was still stiff with mortification. ‘I formally withdraw my suit for your sister’s hand, sir, and yield to her former betrothed. Even my strength could not overcome such an oath sworn in the open.’
...and it seems he did very well in any case.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You are correct, whether kazak qımız or hungarian kumisz, it is a mild drink at best, not comparable to vodka, whisky, nor rakı, not even wine in terms of the impact by abv. Its trick, however, comes from the nature of it, as it is generally perceived as a dairy product by the first-look, of course. Once tasted, it shatters the expectation of the unaware, and since it is generally a mild one (there may be heavy-loaded products somewhere, not exactly mass produced), it can be consumed wildly. Similar to three pints of guinness within 18 min. One thinks hey that's nice, feelin' good, so goes further for the tenth pint. The rest is blue world in the mist. True story.:D

Ahh. A bit like cawv mov (rice wine), then. Tried that stuff in greater quantity than koumiss. It sneaks up on you that way, yes.

Botta should be fine, though. He had other concerns regarding earning the hand of his beloved, so it would be liquid-courage-shot (for a couple of seconds) for him.

...and it seems he did very well in any case.

Hehe. Just so, just so.

Beautifully written!

Thank you, @AtticusKrass! Good to have you on board!

(Warning: mildly NSFW scene ahead)
IV.

media_moldova_vid01_1_enlarged.jpg

The place which Czenzi had in mind was Halastavak – which is in the present day called Caterinovca. Located on the left bank of the Dniester, atop the southern face of a matched set of bluffs overlooking a creek feeding into the larger river, Halastavak was a small, sleepy Magyar encampment of the far northeast edge of the Csángóföld, with only four yurts making camp there regularly each season on the edge of a small pond. When they came there the second day after their wedding, Bohodar found the place pleasant enough. The dry yellow heather and the short shrubs afforded a particularly fine view of the river from above the encampment, and the steppe breeze was particularly welcome underneath the hot July sun. However, it was otherwise, to Bohodar’s frempt Moravian eye, fairly unremarkable. And yet its importance to Czenzi—to judge from her rapt and serious mien upon beholding this place—clearly outweighed whatever met his own untrained eye.

‘Here we are,’ Czenzi told him. ‘Halastavak.’

‘What’s here?’ asked Bohodar.

‘Come with me,’ Czenzi held out her hand to Bohodar atop her mount, ‘and I’ll show you.’

Bohodar went with Czenzi, who seemed to know where she was going almost as a butterfly or a pigeon, or a fish making its way upstream toward its freshwater hatching-ground—driven with the same determination, seemingly by some ancestral memory. As she kept her pace, steady but with clear intent, she spoke to Bohodar of what lay ahead.

‘The Csángóföld is truly holy ground,’ she told him earnestly. ‘Not in the Church’s sense, but in our ancestral one. We Magyar have laid claim to it several times, and we have been challenged by Goths, Huns, Avars, Khazars, Bulgars and Polovtsy. The Vlachs, who claim descent from the Dacians of the days of Roman mastery, also think of this place as their home. Even the Slavs have made incursions here.’

Bohodar harrumphed. Czenzi turned to him with one of those brilliant grins.

‘Present company accepted, of course. Our western cousins in Pannonian Hungary might complain about you Moravians, but here the Slavs we have to beware of are the Červeny to the north. Unlike the Slavs under Khazar rule, the Červeny have never yet honoured a single treaty with Csángóföld. They hound us, enslave us and oppress us. But this place, at least, we have kept safe from them.’

ira-komornik-VRYWCkDZ1mo-unsplash.jpg

Before them lay a small hillock with steep sides along a rectangular base, and Bohodar saw at once that it was too regular in shape to be naturally-occurring. One side had a stone cover which clearly indicated that it was a tumulus. On one corner stood a wooden Orthodox cross, covered with a small canopy, and an icon of Saints Cyril and Methodius. Czenzi dismounted, tethered her horse, made a reverence before the cross and icon, and knelt. Bohodar, lighting from his own mount, did the same.

‘My grandfather Bertalan 4., and his grandfather Bertalan 2., and his grandfather Bertalan 1.—all of them are buried here. Even though the right of rule has passed from our family into the hands of those of Balassi, we are still given the honour of tending this place, the burial-ground of the Árpádok, which the Orthodox priests consecrated when they came here.’

Bohodar nodded his understanding.

‘You have someplace similar, for your family?’

‘Similar, yes,’ Bohodar answered. ‘The churchyard at Velehrad. Many of my ancestors lie there.’

Czenzi turned to Bohodar to face him fully. ‘Bohodar… the only memory I had of you, the only thing that I knew of you to go on, was the little five-year-old boy who played with me in the river. I had no way to know what manner of man you would become—all I knew was my duty. To you… and to them.’ Here she indicated with her whole hand the precious ancestors who lay within the tumulus before them.

‘And now?’ asked Bohodar.

Czenzi smiled patiently. ‘The fact that you came here yourself, alone, shows me your sincerity. Since coming here you have spoken of yourself modestly and behaved with courtesy as a guest. And I don’t think I need to speak of your courage facing Büzir-Üzünköl.’

‘Ah.’

‘But my point is… Bohodar, I want to ask something of you. I would have you know the reason I brought you to this place. What my brother did was… unworthy and selfish, but I understand his motives. Like him, I desire that my marriage might bring peace to our people, to all Magyar west and east. They are as precious to me as your ancestors’ bones in Velehrad are to you.’

Bohodar regarded Czenzi carefully. She was older than he was, more mature than he was. But just now she seemed so vulnerable, so open, so trusting. She had shown him what was most precious to her. Before the icon of the ancestral saints, he turned, made a full prostration, and spoke:

‘Holies and Venerables Cyril and Methodius, I, unworthy, ask your intercession with God. Grant me the strength and the wisdom to do justice and love mercy, and to be a peacemaker between my people and the Magyars. In the name of the Father, and of Christ Jesus the Son, and of the Holy Spirit I pray.’

Czenzi heard every word. She gripped him by the shoulders and pulled him close, hugging him as hard to herself as she could, with every bit of strength she could muster. When they broke apart, Bohodar reached into his scrip. He drew out the two halves of mussel shell—the old, well-worn one that Czenzi had given him, and the newer one that he had found himself. He held up the first to show Czenzi.

‘You remember when you gave me this?’

‘I remember.’

‘I’ve kept it. Taken care of it. And then I found this one… not sure if it’s from the same animal, but it’s the closest one I could find. It’s for you.’

Czenzi took it and clasped it to her heart. ‘You didn’t have to give me this.’

‘I know I didn’t have to. I wanted to.’

~~~

nightyurt.jpg

The candle burned low in the guest yurt at Halastavak that night. Outside the stars slowly tracked their courses in their heavenly spheres, as the night crept into the small hours of the morning. But the guests in the yurt were not asleep—far from it.

The flicker of the candlelight in the yurt caught the gleams of several pieces of glass. A half-empty bottle of olive oil (not for drinking or cooking!) lay at the bedside, along with several ampoules of scented oils and perfumes which Czenzi had brought in her saddlebag for this occasion. Shadows caught the rumpled sheets of the mattress, which had been tugged and shoved into the various forms of the bed’s two busy occupants. And their two naked bodies were glistening with steamy sweat in the orange glow.

A shapely and tawny one had her back arched lordotically, her wrists and knees braced firmly to support a pair of firm rider’s hips. The younger and fairer body behind her, one knee down beside hers and the opposite thigh braced against her piriform rump, gripped her and plunged into her with strong, rhythmic thrusts. Her breath was coming in tight moans of rapturous pleasure; and his joined her in heated adolescent grunts. The frame of the bed creaked and groaned with the strain of their passion.

And then… the boy bore hard into the woman, and held himself there. Bohodar was twitching and breathing like a bellows as the hot wave of pleasure washed over him. The cooperative Czenzi reared back and upward as strongly as she could manage, as she felt the hot flow emanate from him and disperse itself in her for the fourth time that night. Czenzi collapsed forward with a sleepy sigh, and Bohodar disengaged himself and lay down next to her. Czenzi turned toward him, her amber eyes gleaming in the candlelight, and an odd expression playing at the corners of her long, mobile lips.

‘I’m curious. How did you learn the facts of life?’ she asked him.

Bohodar considered. ‘I studied about them in books – ibn Sînâ’s Canon of Medicine and Tzoumenēs’s Ad sanitatem, mostly. My dedo, when he talked to me about it, just said: “You know how everything works, where everything goes?” I told him, “Yes.” And he said, “Good,” and left it at that. What about you?’

Czenzi shrugged. ‘I went out and watched the cows one morning after Emőke let one of the bulls loose in their pen. I figured it must work the same way for people.’ She traced one hand along her hips, grinning wryly. ‘I don’t think I was too far off.’

Bohodar laid a tender hand on her shoulder. ‘It didn’t—I mean, I wasn’t too rough, was I?’

Czenzi caught his hand and held it to her cheek. ‘Maybe a bit. At first. But you got better. Much better.’

Bohodar let out a long, slow breath. ‘I hope that’s true.’

‘What are you thinking?’ asked Czenzi after a few breaths’ pause.

‘Today, what you showed me… the place where your ancestors are buried. It just struck me that I’m going to be taking you away from all of them. You won’t be living in a yurt anymore, but in a castle. Everyone around you won’t be speaking Magyar nyelv, but the Moravian tongue. We won’t have the same kind of foods that you placed before me on the dastarkhan. Now I know how much they mean to you. Leaving them behind can’t be easy.’

Czenzi caressed his face. ‘You’re sweet to think of it, öcsä. But this has been so since long ago—ever since men took wives for themselves. But now we are one flesh, in the sight of God. If we trust in Him, what else should we fear?’

Bohodar fathomed Czenzi close to him again—not to couple, but to assure. Her tawny body nestled warmly and confidingly against his fair one. He had sworn before God to be a peacemaker for the sake of her for whom he’d fought, and he swore again silently to himself to be a worthy fellow-struggler with her, whatever she might face in the strange land far to the west of her home.

2021_07_01_12a.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Book Four Chapter Eleven
You are giving @Peter Ebbesen some serious competition in the NSFW category. Still too cute. Beautiful place. Thank you

I will have to check out Born to Breed it seems! I've heard a number of good things about that AAR.

ELEVEN
Krupina
29 October 1139 – 29 January 1140

havran-cottage-hotel-1185074.jpg

The two massive armies assembled opposite each other on a heath-covered plain just outside Krupina. The Moravian king rode to the head of the line – the red cruciform banner of the Moravian state and his personal black standard with golden lion rampant flying high behind him. Dispassionately Prisnec surveyed the situation. Five thousand rebels under the Nitran maršál Bratislav arrayed themselves against nine thousand under Prisnec Rychnovský’s direct command. In the distance he could already see among the helms and spear-points the chequered gules, or and sable and various devices argent of the Mikulčických. He did not see the field or with bear rampant gules of the Bijelahrvatskići yet among them.

What little the Kráľ knew of Bratislav suggested that he would be a tough opponent. He was young, but his experience of fighting in chilly weather such as was approaching, was not insignificant. Also, Prisnec understood quite well that the men of Užhorod would be close behind the Nitrans, and that their forces well outnumbered Bratislav’s. Though he began with a clear advantage, the tide of the battle could very easily turn against the king before the day was out.

2021_06_30_134a.png

Prisnec turned about to survey his own forces. As he had ordered, the heavily-armed zbrojnošov were positioned, alongside the hired severan karls, to the fore in the centre, leaving the flanks to be headed by the light skirmishers. Eight vanes apart from his own flew; three on each flank and two in the centre. He raised one hand. Every passing moment brought the Bijelahrvatskići closer. They would need to strike swiftly and strike hard. The line advanced on his signal, and the archers readied their arrows.

The flight struck. In the space of two minutes, the lines clashed. Prisnec’s riders were few, but he stuck with them, and directed his troops from the thick of the fighting. The Kráľ had been in enough battles to understand that nothing about them was predictable. Up and down the line, where hundreds were clashing with hundreds, spear against shield and sidearm against armour, a thousand events could occur at any second. And among them God (or, more likely, the Evil One) could choose any one of them to turn a battle one way or the other. The Moravian king had a certain sense about these events—an intuition born of long experience.

As he had expected, Bratislav was a stubborn and skilful enemy. Even commanding a force only half the size of the king’s, he was still able to match and counter his manoeuvres. Prisnec saw that he was conserving his spear-bearers and leaning heavily upon his own zbrojnošov—which led the king to direct more of his attention to the flanks.

But Prisnec sensed among them a certain hesitation. Even though the Nitrans were being directed with skill and tenacity, the front line itself seemed to waver under his trained eye. And with the insight of a long-practised hunter and warrior, Prisnec understood how it arose. The Nitrans feared that the men of Užhorod would not come, and that they would be left stranded by their allies. As the day crept on, that fear seemed to be well-substantiated. Vratislav Bijelahrvatskić had flinched at the prospect of a battle he had deemed unwinnable, and had delayed his march to the Nitrans’ aid. Prisnec smiled grimly and sent up the red signal vane, to order his skirmishers on the flanks to press their current advantage and surround the enemy.

2021_07_01_1a.png
2021_07_01_2a.png

By the time the golden vanes of the Bijelahrvatskići arrived, it was already far too late. Over half of the Nitrans were in rout to avoid the worse fate of being surrounded. Worse still, Hrabě Jakub Abovský had broken through the lines and made a strong incursion into the Nitrans’ right flank. The burgomaster of Sľažaný, Vladimil, had been holding in that position; he went down under Abovský’s assault and was trampled. And worse still: an arrow from the Moravian archers’ line had struck home just as the Nitran maršál was raising his sword-arm. The arrow had nearly severed that arm at the elbow; it was now hanging onto him only by a few bloody strands of skin and tendon.

Such was the sight that awaited Knieža Vratislav when he arrived, for him to rue his hesitation. With a yell, the White Croat ordered a desperate all-out charge against the king’s left from all the way across the field to the north. He knew that victory was unattainable and that the battle had already been lost—but he would make the king pay for his laurels dearly if he could!

2021_07_01_3a.png

The knieža’s cousin, Vladimir Bijelahrvatskić, was at the head of the charge. The left flank was prepared, but not nearly well enough. His flying wedge caught the shield-wall at a weak spot, and the horses smashed through the steel-bristling timber with unexpected ease. Vladimir himself had drawn his sword and swung, and had caught the hired Polabian champion Krzesław across the shoulder.

The Nitrans took heart, and had managed to regather their strength upon beholding the Užhorodians’ charge. The divided attention on the left flank had cost Krzesław somewhat, but it cost the hrabě of Boleslav even dearer. The Greek komēs Valerios Hagiochristophoritēs—a stray transplant from Thessalonikē by marriage to an Abovská—met a sudden end, as a spear wielded by Hrabě Tvrdomil Mojmírov-Spiš caught him in the throat, right in his bushy beard and just above his mail neck-guard.

2021_07_01_4a.png
2021_07_01_5a.png

These last reversals, however, were not enough to win the rebels the day. They had staked all their fortunes on Krupina, and had lost. Only two days after the battle, Knieža Vojmil Mikulčický emerged under a white vane of truce and surrendered himself into the king’s mercy. With Vojmil gone, the other rebels lost heart—soon enough all of them were in Prisnec’s custody.

~~~​

It was the middle of November when Bohodar returned from Csángóföld together with his Magyar bride. Although they rode apart, from the glances that they gave each other, it was clear to any attentive observer that he and Czenzi were already close—closer by far than many new husbands and wives suddenly flung together. Prisnec greeted them both gladly.

Dedo,’ Bohodar hugged his grandfather tightly.

Vnúčik,’ Prisnec answered him. There had never been a need for many words between them; Prisnec had never been a man of many words to begin with… except with one person. And she was standing behind her husband, her faithful hound at her side. Although Viera’s marred face was never shown, it was clear from the tilt of her head and the carriage of her shoulders and back that she was smiling behind her veil. She greeted her grandson with equal affection when she embraced him, and her new granddaughter-in-law with a warm welcome.

The dog at her side gave a loud bark and leapt happily toward Czenzi, beating his tail frantically from side to side and looking up expectantly at her with his tongue lolling out. The Magyar woman laughed and gave the queen’s black sheepdog a friendly scratch behind the ears.

Viera folded her hands in front of her. ‘Púpavček has always been a discerning judge of character,’ she told Czenzi. ‘I think you and I are going to get along quite well together. Welcome! Come inside, and make yourself at home.’

‘You’re too kind, grandmother.’

The two women departed, leaving Bohodar together with his grandfather.

‘The rebellion is over, I hear.’

‘You hear right,’ Prisnec answered him.

2021_07_01_7a.png

‘What will happen to them?’

Prisnec shook his head sadly. ‘Most of them, I don’t know. But one of them… I don’t have a choice…’

~~~​

Even such a mild king as Prisnec could not, by the force of Slavic law, suffer a high traitoress and would-be regicide to live. High treason was one of the only two crimes in Moravian law—the other being arson—that carried a penalty of death.

Thus it happened that, two weeks after the rebellion ended, Hraběnka Bożena Přemyslovčá of Litoměřice was carted out to the scaffold in Praha, clad only in a simple homespun shift. Her hands were folded in front of her. She had long since resigned herself to her fate. A priest accompanied her, but she refused his counsel. Instead she went and knelt of her own accord at the block, where the hooded axeman who would end her life awaited her. A herald from Olomouc opened a scroll and read aloud from it on the platform to the crowd that was assembled below.

‘The criminal Bożena Přemyslovčá has been tried and convicted of the following crimes against the Crown: conspiracy, attempted murder, and high treason. In accordance with the dignity due to her station, the prescribed penalty of slow strangulation has been commuted to beheading by the axe. Does the criminal wish to make a statement before the penalty is executed?’

Bożena shook her head before laying it meekly on the block.

The herald gave the executioner the signal. The axe rose high in the air, and then fell.

2021_07_01_9a.png

Thus ended Bożena Přemyslovčá, hraběnka of Litoměřice.

No other executions followed that of Bożena. Indeed, most of the other rebellious nobles were kept under house arrest as hostages in Olomouc. The only exceptions to this—the only rebels to be thrown into the fonsels—were Hrabě Vitemir Budínský of Žatec and his granddaughter Živana. The old man had bowed his head and resigned himself to the punishment, but Živana had let loose the wicked tongue that had landed them both in the fonsels in the first place.

Utláčateľ!’ she had shrieked at Prisnec as she was led away. ‘Darebák! Krvopotník! Hnus! Syn zradnej kurvy! May your flesh rot on your bones! May your son drop dead where he stands! You won’t get away with this, I swear! Get your hands off me—! Let me go—!’

The rest of her screeching and abuse trailed off as she was led away with her grandfather, struggling against the guards the whole time.

2021_07_01_10a.png
2021_07_01_11b.png

There was only one other matter which touched closely upon Prisnec’s life in the month following the rebellion, though thankfully he was not impelled to a juridical intervention. Ladina Rychnovská-Nisa had Prisnec’s own brother Tomáš hauled forward in council, and presented him unceremoniously to the Grandmaster of the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre.

‘Take this one back with you, would you? He has made a nuisance of himself in Kluczbork.’

‘My apologies, vojvodkyňa,’ the Grandmaster bowed. ‘If I may be given to understand how he transgressed…?’

Ladina flung a sour look at the offending Rychnovský. ‘He has been fornicating with one of my vassals—his own kinswoman, to boot. My hraběnka Vratislava Rychnovská has given birth to his daughter, conceived in my own house, under my very nose as it were.’

2021_07_01_13a.png

Ladina then glared at the Grandmaster, as though daring him to bring up her own family’s long history of illicit and incestuous liaisons in that very same house. However, he did not.

‘You have my apologies, madam. You may rest assured he will be given a proper penance.’

‘That would be well on your part,’ the cautious old lady nodded a trifle to him. ‘Thank you.’

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Tomas was a very bad boy. Rebels defeated, one now headless; soon it will be rinse, repeat. Thank you for the update

Sadly, yes. But will the cycle be broken? That remains to be seen.

Reactions:
Book Four Chapter Twelve
TWELVE
New Sprouts
29 September 1140 – 17 October 1143

oldstreet_olomouc.png

Medieval street in Olomouc, present-day view

Riding into through the western gate on her palfrey, the elderly Hildegarde looked eagerly toward the fine red rooftops of Olomouc, ensconced behind the town wall. She had, of course, heard stories of this town from her father Aribo, who had visited once during the reign of Tomáš and been duly impressed by the hunting-grounds and the generosity of his warm-hearted host.

Even so, she was unprepared for the wondrous sights that awaited her once she was inside the gate. Hildegarde’s many years in Western Europe had given her an appreciation for grand cities like Paris and Köln (and, of course, her native Salzburg). However, she had not expected to find such a refined atmosphere here, so close to the barbarians of the northeast! Olomouc had long since become a city which bridged east and west. The old-fashioned zemnicy had long been replaced with solid, cosy houses of wood post, stucco and properly-tiled rooftops. The remnant of the old style of Slavic architecture could be seen, however, in the low foundations and the steepness of the roofs with their long eaves.

Although in some quarters there was still a sharp tang of sewage (as was to be expected in any city of this size), the streets were properly cobbled, drained and regularly swept clean. Olomouc bustled gaily with commerce and gossip and entertainment. Hildegarde paused briefly to admire a street gašparko in his routine, tying his body into knots and performing remarkable feats of gymnastic dexterity and strength. The smithies, tanneries, mills and glassworks were particularly busy, as well as the marketplace stalls where men and women from other cities showed off their wares.

Then there were the churches. Moravia had its own style of churchly architecture, tripartite, with bulb-shaped domes—most of them, particularly in the countryside, were made of wood. However the churches in Olomouc had gilt domes with heavens-brushing, arched stucco exteriors, and most of the ones Hildegarde got to see had exteriors painted robin’s-egg blue and adorned with large iconic frescoes in the Byzantine style. This one was devoted to the Most Holy Theotokos. That one, to Saints Cyril and Methodius. Still others, to Saint Vitus, to Holy Evangelist John, to Apostles Peter and Paul, to Apostle James. Some were larger and some were smaller—but all of them were exquisitely-built and kept in good repair.

2021_07_01_20a.png

2021_07_01_21a.png

Rumour had it that, although Tomáš had expended his efforts in promoting the splendour of his court and consolidating his rule, Prisnec had done the same in promoting public works, and had even joined in the construction efforts himself with his own two hands—against the counsel of his ministers and family, who felt the station of a mason or a wheelwright or a joiner to be beneath the dignity of a king. But the energetic Prisnec evidently did not let that stop him. He had taken up level, plane and square with the eagerness of a journeyman. Although this earned him the disapprobation of the nobility who remained loyal, it did win him friends among the common people.

Up the streets rode Hildegarde until she came to the moat and bridge which led through the castle gate and into the courtyard. She could see and appreciate for herself the improvements that were still being made to the structure of the building, and was absorbed in that when she was greeted by the queen. She dipped a low courtesy. Hildegarde saw for herself that the queen did not show anything behind her veil, but she still exuded a kind of warmth that needed no reference to facial expression.

Herzelich willekomen in Olmütz,’ Viera greeted her, taking her by the hand.

Ich danke Înen sêr,’ answered the Bavarian noblewoman. ‘But where is your lord husband? I had been expecting to meet him as well.’

Viera looked a trifle uncomfortable, though that passed as soon as she saw Prisnec climbing down the scaffold he’d been working on. He lit to the ground, and Hildegarde, after the formal greeting, lifted a hand for him to kiss. He did so. She noticed that the king’s hands had the beginnings of calluses on the palms. Hildegarde smiled inwardly. A hardworking king might not be the most favoured among the nobility, but he would be quite suitable for her purposes, were she to succeed here.

‘Very good to see you,’ he told her pleasantly. ‘Come, come within!’

‘I had heard very good things about Olomouc, of course,’ the elderly Hildegarde said as she allowed the king and queen of Moravia to lead her inside. ‘I am pleasantly surprised to find that none of them have been exaggerated. So many fresh constructions, so many busy people and works, so many new churches—and even the castle is being updated! A true triumph, to God be the glory—though I hear you have had a hand in it all yourself. Together with running a state! How have you managed to keep your head during that time?’

‘Oh, I still find the time for relaxation,’ Prisnec said airily. ‘Spending time in the forest.’

2021_07_01_17a.png

Of course Viera showed no expression, but there was a cheeky little saunter in her step as Prisnec mentioned this—like a girl who’d just arisen from bed after a long-awaited tryst with her beloved. So that was the way of things, was it? Well, well. Moravian rulers and their consorts, from what she heard, had a long tradition of green-gowning in the great outdoors.

It was just then that a scurrying little imp crossed their path, trundling on a pair of sturdy—if somewhat overconfident—little legs beneath her well-tailored child’s shift. Her hair was a brilliant red-gold, and her eyes and face were round and inquisitive. She gave a crow of a laugh as she kept up her stride, and a voice called out behind her:

‘Léna! Gyere vissza!’

A young woman with dark sable hair and tawny skin came bounding after her, followed at a distance by an even younger man with a messy spiky thatch of dark brown hair. Hildegarde regarded them with interest. Although the daughter was fair and the parents were dark of colouring, there was little doubt that these were her parents. The imp clearly had the young man’s eyes and brows, and the young woman’s nose and mouth. The imp’s mother finally caught her and steered her by the shoulders out of the path of the king and queen and their guest.

‘I beg your pardon,’ Czenzi courtesied to Hildegarde. ‘Heléna’s quite the handful.’

2021_07_01_15a.png

Hildegarde smiled. ‘It’s good for a young girl to have energy. And is that another one on the way?’

The pleasant glow of Czenzi’s face answered for her. One slender hand went to her belly with its hint of a baby bump. Botta came up behind her and laid his hands fondly on her shoulders, and Czenzi lifted her free hand to touch her husband’s elbow. A simple gesture, but one which bespoke eloquently to the elderly Bavarian’s practised eye the gentle, totally-trusting bliss of this breeding young couple.

‘They aren’t the only ones, either,’ Prisnec told their visitor proudly. ‘Our Bohodar here has a new baby brother Daniel, and his aunt Karolína had a healthy baby boy as well, Vitemír.’

2021_07_01_24a.png
2021_07_01_25a.png

‘The Rychnovský tree flourishes within,’ Hildegarde nodded, ‘just as Olomouc flourishes without.’

‘By God’s grace,’ Bohodar nodded his head modestly.

‘Will you come inside?’ asked Viera of their guest.

‘If it’s all the same to you,’ Hildegarde demurred, ‘I should like to continue touring the grounds. It would be a pleasure for me to see what you’ve done with the gardens.’

As Bohodar, Czenzi and Heléna went off one way, the king and queen and Hildegarde went off in another, out of the castle enclosure and around the outside toward the gardens. At this tide in October, the leaves of the plum trees were brown but still on their branches. The drying or yellowing haulms of the other herbs and flowers in the gardens were still there for the most part, though it was enough for Hildegarde to be able to identify them or their remains.

‘Marigolds. Hm, yes—those must have been quite lovely in season! Elder, blueberries, buckthorn. All excellent—I simply must sample your preserves while I am here. Ah! And who has been taking care of these wintergreens?! Clearly this is a labour of love. They are not the easiest of plants to grow even in their wonted wonings!’

‘The zimoľubky have been here since Bohodar slovoľubec’s time,’ Viera answered mildly. ‘I’ve heard that Mechthild was quite fond of the blooms.’

The smile on Hildegarde’s weathered, wrinkled face broadened into a grin. That the gardeners of Olomouc should have been tending such delicate blossoms, to cherish the memory of the founding duke and duchess, for over two hundred years… was quite a feat!

‘You like plants?’ asked Prisnec.

2021_07_01_26a.png

‘They are a… hobby of mine,’ Hildegarde waved a diffident hand. ‘I keep a small plot back at home. Nothing to compare to what your Majesties have here, I’m sure!’

‘You’re too modest,’ Prisnec’s lip tugged up at the corner.

Viera picked up the thread. ‘If what we hear of your reputation here in Olomouc is true, Hildegarde of Mürzzuschlag, your skills in getting even exotic plants to grow in an Alpine climate are unrivalled. My husband would, I’m sure, be delighted to take a few pointers from such an expert hand as yourself.’

‘My, my,’ Hildegarde narrowed a pair of suddenly-suspicious eyes. ‘Not exactly sparing on the butter, are we? I wouldn’t want to put any additional, ah… strain on his Majesty’s time. By God’s grace a man can only do so much.’

‘It would be appreciated,’ the Kráľ said.

‘Hm,’ Hildegarde twirled a lock of hair by her temple. ‘Appreciated, you say. How much? In truth, I do indeed know a thing or two about the ways of green things, and would be happy to teach you… in exchange for some considerations on a guestship agreement, perhaps? I would want a stipend of at least an obol of gold every fortnight and the dedicated services of three of your household staff, and that’s in addition to a castle chamber and nobles’ board.’

‘You drive a hard bargain,’ Prisnec told her.

‘So I’ve been told,’ Hildegarde placed her hands on her hips. ‘I would also want some assurances that my… work and tutelage here will not be interrupted or interfered with by any man in a cassock, if you get my meaning.’

‘I’m sure we can arrange that, too,’ Prisnec told her.

Hildegarde looked from Prisnec to Viera and back. She seemed to be considering whether or not this offer was genuine—or whether it fell astray into the lands of ‘too good to be true’. At length, however, she extended a hand to Prisnec, who took it.

‘Here’s to the new sprouts of next spring,’ she said.

2021_07_01_27b.png

2021_07_01_27a.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
After the revolt, it is good for the king to invest much in building. The capital may be untouched, but any improvements and greater strength can only help to dissuade future potential revolts.

Yet as much as Prisnec upholds traditions, the good old "rebellion upon succession" tradition will have a hard time dying out.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Book Four Chapter Thirteen
Sorry, pushed the button too early on this one. Now all of the images should show up. @Knud_den_Store - you will be happy to see that I have included religious and cultural maps of Europe and the region, respectively, with this episode! Unfortunately, you can already start to see the crackup of the Apostolic faiths and the growth of various heresies...

THIRTEEN
Pity the Warrior
18 April 1144 – 22 October 1146

2021_07_01_41a.png
2021_07_01_41b.png

‘… so you see, milady, I confess I am somewhat afraid. And not just of what my uncle Pavel will do.’

‘Yes, I do see that,’ Viera placed a comforting hand on the shoulder of Agafya Timofeevna Krakovskaya. ‘It isn’t easy to live in exile. I wasn’t born in these lands. Nor was I raised by my own father. He too had to flee from… less hospitable lands than this one.’

‘You, milady?’ asked Agafya. ‘You, a queen?’

Viera’s veiled head dipped affirmatively. ‘My father was a Jew.’

‘I—I see,’ Agafya set down her glass of wine. She toyed with her hands as though she wasn’t sure what to say. ‘Things are frightening now in the west,’ she repeated herself. ‘There’s these… wild street preachers, called Murmeln. I… I didn’t think they’d dare come to Bavaria but I was wrong.’

Viera shook her head. A sigh of profound sadness escaped from beneath her veil. ‘Yes, I’ve heard of the Murmeln. From what I hear, the sickness is all over Europe these days. The true danger to the faith is no longer from the severané, but instead from enemies within. Followers of the heresiarch Bogomil have captured large swathes of the Hellenic heartlands of Rome. I’ve even heard of some Greek hierarchs trying to “purify the calendar”—reverting to the erroneous method of calculating Pascha that is popular on the British Isles.’

2022_07_07_19a.png

So it begins...

Agafya laid her hand on the queen’s. ‘Do you think he’ll help me?’

Viera clasped Agafya’s hand warmly. ‘I have never known my husband to turn someone away from his door who genuinely needed a hand. Whether or not he’ll go to war for your claim, though, is… doubtful.’

‘Just one chance,’ Agafya pleaded. ‘That’s all I ask.’

‘Then we shall make sure you have that chance.’

~~~​

‘Are you well, kedvesem?’

Czenzi looked back over her shoulder into the solicitous face of her husband, standing behind her as she gently bounced their young son to sleep in her arms. It had been important to Czenzi that their boy honour, in some sense, her ancestors in the Árpád line, bearing the name of Bertalan. The name of Bertalan reflected the English Æþelberht… or so Bohodar had thought[1], which he had then connected in his mind to its Moravian cognate Vojtech. Czenzi, hoping for a fifth Bertalan in her family line, had somewhat reluctantly at first agreed to this compromise. But now she warmed to her son’s Moravian name, even thinking it cute.

2021_07_01_35a.png

‘I’m well, zlatko,’ Czenzi answered him. ‘But… perhaps later, can I… talk to you? After Vojta’s asleep?’

Botta leaned over. ‘Of course, any time!’

Ó, moje jediné svetlo… nech je to čoskoro!’ Czenzi answered him, running her free hand along his cheek and giving him a lingering kiss. The Magyar woman delighted in giving voice to the movements of her heart in Moravian, for her heart moved only for one Moravian—and that Moravian, in turn, spoke sweet things to her in her own tongue for the same reason. Czenzi moved to the cradle and placed Vojta there after his eyelids had drifted shut and his head drooped. And then there was space and time for the hearts which spoke to each other in each other’s native tongue, to feel each other beating in the meeting of their tongues in each other’s mouths. Czenzi’s amber eyes drank in Botta’s hazel ones.

‘But how?’ murmured Czenzi upward toward her husband. ‘When our two peoples have been enemies and rivals, hated and been at war with each other for so long, how does it feel so easy—so right—for me to kiss you, embrace you, and desire you—not only your body but your heart?’

2021_07_01_34a.png

‘Sloviens and Magyars have been neighbours for hundreds of years,’ Bohodar observed reasonably. ‘Surely something like us two had to happen sometime. Does it matter?’

‘I really think it does,’ Czenzi insisted. ‘When I was still pregnant with Vojta, your uncle Harold started telling me stories about Ivan of Znojmo, and his… impious escapades. It called to mind when my older brother shared similar stories about Slovien lords, and how it made him happy to be living in a purer land, with purer customs, closer to the herds and the skies. I used to share in that happiness, but when Harold told me these stories now, I took no delight in them. Have I become a… bad Hungarian?’

2021_07_01_28a.png
2021_07_01_29a.png

‘Not one bit of it,’ Bohodar shook his head firmly. ‘Czenzi, you are such a sweet, mild and gentle woman! It’s because of you that I dearly love the Hungarian land and people who birthed and raised you. Even if you still lived in Csángóföld as a nomad, I could never see you taking such pleasure in the wrongdoing or suffering of others.’

Czenzi folded a pair of reassured arms around her husband.

‘But if you’re worried about such things, how about we leave Heléna and Vojta in the nursemaids’ care, and I ride with you back to Csángóföld for a week or two? Live together with you in a yurt, and spend time with your Magyar kinfolk?’

Hearing this, Czenzi hugged her husband closer, tightening her grip with every ounce of the gratitude and warmth she felt. Bohodar felt the front of his cotte moisten with her freely-flowing tears. ‘Ďakujem, zlatko. What would I do without you?’

~~~

2021_07_01_33a.png

Prisnec was getting old, and age did not come upon him lightly. He didn’t look it—the traces of it, so Kveta had told him, were in the vessels around his heart, and thankfully not in any place that one of his subjects, vassals or peers could see. But his physic had cautioned him against any sudden shocks or strenuous exertion on account of the state of his heart and his advancing fragility—a restriction against which the hardworking, handy old warrior chafed miserably.

It didn’t seem so long ago that Prisnec was leading his men in exercise training for cavalry charges and flanking manœuvres, or exploring old abandoned Slavic ring-forts with them afterward for hoards of gold and silver. Even now the state coffers overflowed with all the plate and jewels the Moravian army had brought back from one such hidden cache. Even now he longed to go with them, and sighed after them as he watched them depart on exercises. Viera lay a hand on her husband’s back in sympathy, but there was little that she, of all people, could do about it.

2021_07_01_30a.png
2021_07_01_31a.png
2021_07_01_32a.png

2021_07_01_38a.png
2021_07_01_39a.png

2021_07_01_40a.png

Instead, what she could do was support him in the one hobby and outlet for the strain of rule he had left: tending, reaping, sorting, drying and storing the herbs from the garden Hildegarde Mürzzuschlagerin had helped him set up.

‘I really wish you’d shown this kind of interest earlier,’ his queen remarked to him mildly. ‘I learned a great deal about this art from my guardian, Anna Rychnovská.’

‘So you did,’ answered Prisnec equably. ‘I really wish I’d shown this interest before. Before Hildegarde came, I never knew what a fascination each plant and its different properties could have, or how soothing the scents of their dried stalks could be.’

Viera looked to her husband with a bit of concern through her veil. Agafya Timofeevna’s request of him would have to wait… for the time being, at least. No doubt him doing the exiled Russian noblewoman a good turn would stabilise relations with the Carpatho-Russians living around Maramoroš—who, unlike the Bijelahrvatskići, had not seen fit to acculturate themselves to the customs of the Moravian court, and didn’t seem likely to do so in the near future. In the same way that having shown mercy upon the nobles of the northwestern marches in the wake of the rebellion had garnered him good will from the Czechs (whose dwindling influence in Moravia was confined largely to those same minor voivodeships). But Viera truly did fear for his health and strength, and didn’t wish to cause him undue added pressure.

Not that she could prevent such, all the time.

The king did insist on attending the summer hastiludes on the fairgrounds outside Olomouc, and Viera, knowing what pains it had cost him to forego joining in himself, had permitted it. However, not being able to enter the lists, for Prisnec, was almost as frustrating as not being permitted to go in the first place, and he had made the mistake of giving voice to his dudgeon in broad hearing. It was his bad fortune that young Vlastibor Rychnovský-Kluczbork had attended the same event, and taken advantage of the opportunity by behaving like the inconsiderate hoodlum that he was, and had been ever since he had blown up at Prisnec in open court that one time.

2021_07_01_23a.png

Splash!

The defenceless, elderly king had toppled face-forward into the horse-water, having been tripped and pushed into the drinking-trough by the twenty-year-old Vlastibor. Vlastibor let out a crowing laugh, and was joined in with chuckles from several of the surrounding nobles. Prisnec’s eldest son, however, reacted harshly.

Darebák!’ Radomír roared, grabbing Vlastibor by the front of his cotte and throwing him to the ground. He drew his blade and held it at his blond kinsman’s belly before the latter could scramble back to his feet.

‘Give me one reason,’ Radomír fulminated, his ruddy cheeks bright with anger. ‘Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t strike your swinish hide wide open, right here and now.’

‘Rado,’ Prisnec sputtered weakly behind him. ‘Don’t.’

‘But, father—!’

Prisnec shook his dripping head. ‘He’s just a stupid boy. Let him have his little japes; he shouldn’t suffer for a harmless joke on my account.’

2021_07_01_42a.png

It hadn’t been quite so harmless as all that, though. Viera went straight over to her husband with a dry cloth and a steadying arm at the ready. Though it wasn’t generally known and he didn’t want it to be, Prisnec was a good deal frailer than he let on, and his being dunked in the drink could very well have been the end of him. God be praised that it wasn’t—in all likelihood, it was Kráľ Prisnec’s patient and calm demeanour which had saved him from death that day.

His forbearance bought him only about eighteen months. He was able to witness, thank God, the birth of another grandson—Karolína’s second son Drahomír. And he was also able to make an agreement with another Prisnec, the independent vojvoda of Lemkovyna, for mutual defence. However, Prisnec’s heart gave out on the twenty-second of October, 1146, and he went to join his fathers in Velehrad.

2021_07_01_45a.png

[1] Erroneously, by false cognate. Bertalan is actually the Hungarian form of the Greek Vartholomaĩos.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Interlude Ten
INTERLUDE X.
The Value of a Love Poem
10 December 2020

usma08_ck3.jpg

Dňestr nesie moje sěrce po-proude
Na tocie jedinoję pamäte
Prichodzam domovu do stanu vragu
Aby som tam našel moju právu lásku!

Ach, na město, kde nocujú sraky!
Taká je strašná sila lásky—
Že otáča vrag černy ako jeho krídlo,
Do světla zasneženého ako jej rameno!

V inej rěke sa ozýva šplěchanie.
Dotyk nohy v studenej vode.
Moja milá na brehu ležala so mnou:
Dar, ktorý si mi dal: pamätáš si tou?

Nikdy som nezábudol. Nikdy nebudem.
Modré kvety kvítnu na Dňestrem.
Nebeské krásky: nečudujte sa nefelejčom!
Světlo mizne zo světa—
Pred tvojem dotykom!“

dniesterriver_moldova.jpg

A view of the Dniester River from Naslavcea, Moldova

Standing, Cecilia Bedyrová finished reciting the Minnelied from their textbook—one of the oldest ones surviving in the Old Moravian language—with great feeling. It wasn’t an exaggeration to say that she’d been awaiting this moment since the class began, and Ed Grebeníček had seen no difficulty in obliging her. Bohodar 3. letopisár’s intensely-personal song of enduring love to his Árpád wife, which he compared to the pale blue blossoms which returned every year to the Dniester, had been deeply cherished by the Árpádok. So much so, in fact, that the delicately-written scroll in its little silken pouch, which Árpád Czenzi had famously kept furled up on a halse-hang between her breasts lifelong, had survived to be placed in the Imperial Archives in Pest. A priceless symbol—not without its political uses in later times—of a lasting love which transcended cultures and borders and peoples, Dňestr nesie moje sěrce po-proude“ had been on loan to the national museum in Olomouc for the past year.

‘Thank you, Ms Bedyrová,’ Grebeníček applauded her. ‘That was truly heartfelt!’

Cecilia blushed and sat with a smile.

‘Now… based on what we know about lyric poetry in mediæval Central Europe at this time,’ Grebeníček stroked his chin, ‘can anyone tell me what are some of the innovative features of this poem?’

Dalibor Pelikán raised his hand, and was acknowledged by the professor. ‘The nature imagery in this poem is particularly strong. Letopisár highlights the contrasting colours on a magpie’s wing to illustrate the power of his affection. He also makes reference to the shores of rivers, the splashing of water—and then of course the blue blossoms on the bank.’

‘Well observed!’ said Grebeníček. ‘Any other observations? Yes, Živana?’

‘The poem is incredibly secular,’ Živana Biľaková observed. ‘There is only one oblique reference to God here, and even that reference at the end of the poem to the Parousia is in the service of Bohodar’s proclamation of his affection for his wife.’

‘Yes, indeed,’ Grebeníček lifted an appreciative palm. ‘That’s a very notable shift in tone and subject matter for poems of this age. Considering the rapid spread of general spiritual apathy and heresies during this time, the “earthly” focus of this love-song becomes a bit more understandable. But there’s one other aspect to this poem that I think needs to be highlighted. One reason why the Carpathian Empire in particular took such a strong interest in it.’

minnelieder.png

Illustration from a contemporary German collection of Minnesang​

Petronila Šimkovičová traced her finger down each line of the poem, mouthing it to herself until she came to the last stanza. Suddenly it seemed as though she had something of an epiphany. She slowly raised her hand as she did so.

‘Yes?’

‘Here, in the last stanza—‘ she observed, ‘He refers to the flowers as nefelejčov—like “nephews”. Rather odd in a love poem to use such distant, masculine imagery for a flower, right? But what if it’s not an Old Moravian word he’s using there, but a Magyar one? That would make sense for the theme of this poem. Isn’t nefelejcs the Hungarian word for nezábudka?’

Grebeníček nodded. ‘Otherwise known as Myosotis arvensis, or “forget-me-not”… You’re not a bio major, are you?’

nu-ma-uita-1.jpg

Petra shook her head with a grin. ‘Organic chemistry.’

That drew a slight chuff of amusement from the professor. ‘My condolences, Petra. Never could keep all those functional groups, isomers and side groups straight, myself. All blends into a lot of chocholovité chocholy a chocholov[1] for me: that’s why I went into history.’

There were several laughs at that from Petra as well as the bio majors in the room.

‘But yes—he used the Ugric word instead of the Slavic one, for a detail intimately connected with the shared memories of their courtship. Moreover, he could not have been insensitive to the language of flowers, in which the forget-me-not is a symbol of a singular, deep and abiding love. No wonder that Czenzi cherished the poem so closely in her life, nor that the Carpathian Emperors among her kin would have done the same after Letopisár gave it into their care. As a rule, the Minnesang of this time were not lacking in natural imagery, and quite a few of them were secular and ribald in tone. But few of those which have survived to the present day have this degree of personality and intimate detail.

‘Now—turn in your textbooks to page 162.’

The class did so.

‘In the last class we discussed the reigns of Bohodar 2. and Prisnec 1. Rychnovský, and today we’re going to start on that of Radomír 2. Now, can anyone explain to me from last class or from the readings, why Prisnec’s and Radomír’s reigns are now thought to be a direct precursor to the Urban Policies of the 1520s? …’

[1] Literally ‘tufts and plumage’, but the professor is making fun of the presence of so many similar-looking C, H and O compounds (aldehydes, ketones, carboxyls, ethers, alkanes, alkenes, alkynes) in organic chemistry here.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Okay, sorry about this, my readers - especially @alscon and @Midnite Duke. I've been doing terrible at responding to comments lately, so I'm gonna remedy that here:

King Prisnec's stats are star-like. Hopefully, his building program included an addition to the royal nursery. Thank you for the update.

[...]

Your labors done well, rest now King Prisnec. King Ramomir II, you have large shoes to fill as you shepherd your flock. Thank you

What's that quote from Blade Runner?

'The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy.'

Prisnec's life expectancy wasn't particularly great when compared with some of his ancestors, but when considering that he got to use the 'Develop Capital' decision at least once during his reign, I imagine he doesn't have a lot of regrets.

After the revolt, it is good for the king to invest much in building. The capital may be untouched, but any improvements and greater strength can only help to dissuade future potential revolts.

Yet as much as Prisnec upholds traditions, the good old "rebellion upon succession" tradition will have a hard time dying out.

Yeah, old habits die hard and so on. Even beheading one noble would-be regicide probably won't have that much effect, will it? Darn CK3 and its vassal-relation mechanics!

• 1Like
Reactions: