• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Managing to show his piety (with apt remuneration) in the happily last war for Ioakim, I'd take a few cues as to what awaits Tomáš' reign:

A pious soul, yes, but also willing to make good use of the advantages the church offers. And a man who doesn't want to use more resources than necessary to finish the given task.

Those are qualities that make for a good ruler, yet also carries some risks. Let us see how well he takes and makes it through the nearly inevitable succession war.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Sht. Running out of time, again. Should post a quick one.

Apologies for the short comment for a slightly-old-one, making the post a-bit-necro. It was too good to miss due to time constraints.

I was actually gonna say that there aren't many characters in CKIII that I take an instant dislike to on account of their looks, but Vratislav here has a definite case of Backpfeifengesicht...
Ja genau.

Wait. That Vratislav bloke. IS that...?

1649593012965.jpeg

...Mac (a. Rob McElhenney)??

Woow. Now Backpfeifengesicht gains a much more truthful meaning.

1649593355246.jpeg

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Book Three Chapter Twenty-Seven
Managing to show his piety (with apt remuneration) in the happily last war for Ioakim, I'd take a few cues as to what awaits Tomáš' reign:

A pious soul, yes, but also willing to make good use of the advantages the church offers. And a man who doesn't want to use more resources than necessary to finish the given task.

Those are qualities that make for a good ruler, yet also carries some risks. Let us see how well he takes and makes it through the nearly inevitable succession war.

Your guesses, @alscon, have so far been blessed by heaven--or at least, by whatever powers which govern the random outcomes of d20 rolls in the number generator CK3 uses to throw events at me. Not to spoil too much here, but the trend continues in this direction.

Sht. Running out of time, again. Should post a quick one.

Apologies for the short comment for a slightly-old-one, making the post a-bit-necro. It was too good to miss due to time constraints.

Ja genau.

Wait. That Vratislav bloke. IS that...?

...Mac (a. Rob McElhenney)??

Woow. Now Backpfeifengesicht gains a much more truthful meaning.

View attachment 827746

Yeeeeeah, this show only lasts for 7 books, not for 15 seasons. :p I hope it at least has some funny moments, though.

TWENTY-SEVEN
Horn and Cauldron
6 February 1072 – 5 February 1074

2021_06_20_56a.png

Tomáš almost didn’t have time to react.

The first he heard was a woman’s piercing shrill rending the February air. Then, wheeling around, he suddenly beheld what Burgomistress Zdislava was screaming about. An angry blur of white and grey, a snorting muzzle lowered, a dozen keratin spear-ends honed and shiny from a frustrating season of fighting for a mate—those were all Tomáš saw bursting out of the black brambles as he began to brace his hunting-spear. Too late.

It was knocked flying out of his hands with one enraged swing of the animal’s broad muscular neck, and then the muzzle lowered again. With sudden violence the world lurched and spun around Tomáš, as hard antler connected with—and pierced, with a searing pain—the soft flesh of his belly. His hip struck the ground, then his shoulder, then the dumbstruck head which normally wore a crown. The buck snorted and bellowed as it lowered its head for another vicious strike.

2021_06_20_57a.png

But then somewhere in his peripheral vision Tomáš saw Zdislava swinging her spear at the animal like a quarterstaff. The buck huffed in annoyance as it shrugged off her strikes. Its rage and its frustrated lust had not abated, but it wasn’t fool enough to pick a fight with two armed humans, and God only knew just how many more—such predators always came in packs. Evidently the buck decided that discretion was the better part of valour, and left the fleshy, prone, groaning, bleeding king where he lay, in the soft, packy snow. He leapt free of Zdislava’s reach and bounded off back into the brush. The servitors who accompanied him and Ricciarda on this hunt at once rushed to his side.

Odíďte! Odíďte!’ the king groaned gruffly as he tried to struggle back to his feet, without success.

Eventually, Ricciarda herself came along and placed her hands on her hips as she saw her husband, tutting impatiently. ‘Really, Tomáš! You lead men in battle and face down cunning knights and dukes abroad, but can’t handle a single, simple animal?!’

‘Like to have seen you do better,’ Tomáš grumped, taking a proffered strip of linen from one of his servitors and attempting to bind it about the several bloody punctures about his paunch.

‘Best let Anna do that, mio caro,’ Ricciarda went to her husband’s side and supported him by the elbow. ‘She’s her mother’s daughter, after all.’

‘And I am my mother’s son,’ Tomáš grumbled at his wife. He patiently tried several more times to bind up his wounds, but when he saw the futility of the efforts he was making, he gave it up with a sigh. ‘Oh, very well. I’ll let Anna see to it.’

Ricciarda patted him on the back. ‘You know, Tomáš, it really could have been worse.’

Tomáš grunted.

‘So…’ Ricciarda cleared her throat and wisely changed the subject, ‘with regard to the amnesty. You understand, I think, that not all of the relations of your prisoners can afford to pay the full amount. Certainly Doux Dragan can’t, and neither can Doux Svetislav. Are you sure you still want to go through with it? We can wait, if it suits you better.’

Tomáš considered for awhile as he limped onward, supported at the elbow by his loyal wife. ‘The silver is important, wife, but not as important as the timing. A single grand gesture can do more for the people and for my perceptions abroad than one which is marred by the suspicion of moneygrubbing. Those that can’t pay their full way will still get their dear ones back from me. And those who have no one to ransom them, we’ll release without condition.’

Ricciarda nodded approvingly, and continued talking with Tomáš about various things—the snowfall, the trees, the Christmas feast just past, the relations with Austria—in order to keep his mind off the pain from having been gored, at least until they reached Anna.

Anna took her hefty brother from her sister-in-law and friend with businesslike confidence, and cleaned and bandaged his wounds as one with long practice. Anna knew her mother’s Animadversiones from front to back, practically by heart, and although Tomáš winced as some of the applications stung deeply, once she was done with him, he had to own that he felt much better.

2021_06_20_58a.png

‘There,’ said Anna. ‘Now, let that be a warning to you, brother! Keep a couple of wary eyes about you when you’re approaching young harts this late in mating season.’

‘I’ll bear it in mind,’ Tomáš straightened his shoulders gruffly. ‘Thank you. And… thank you, wife.’

Anna and Ricciarda exchanged a knowing glance with each other as Tomáš between them warily placed his feet on the ground and stood unsupported.

With their help, the new Kráľ made an admirable recovery over the next months. Lent passed into Pascha, and as Pentecost drew near, it became clear that Tomáš’s flesh had fully recovered from being gored by the hart in the forest. And then came the news that would truly help Tomáš recover.

2021_06_20_58b.png

‘Father,’ Winefride told Tomáš as she entered the room, ‘Vojvoda Mstivoj of Nether Silesia has issued us an invitation to attend a grand feast in Lehnice.’ The bookish girl sniffed a bit, disapprovingly. ‘What shall I tell the envoy from the Silesians in reply?’

‘Of course we shall be delighted to attend!’ Tomáš told his daughter. ‘Mstivoj Rychnovský is family, after all. We mustn’t be so rude as to decline!’

‘As you wish, Father,’ Winefride answered him demurely, though the smatch of suspicion still lingered in her voice. ‘But kin aren’t always kind, I’ll hasten to remind you. Not that I know of anything untoward from Mstivoj… yet. But do watch your back, Father.’

Tomáš lay a reassuring hand on his daughter’s slender shoulder. ‘Never fear, Winefride. If an angry hart couldn’t kill me, I’m sure there isn’t anything Mstivoj could throw at me that I couldn’t survive.’

~~~​

Tomáš found Lehnice (which the locals called Lignica) to be a well-to-do, comfortably-situated fortified town, built in the traditional Slavic style with a high wooden stockade and a hilltop promontory at the centre with hall and watchtowers, seated in the midst of the forest at the confluence of the rivers Kačava and Čierna Voda, which flowed from thence down to the Oder. Both a strategically- and economically-important centre for Silesia, it was immediately apparent to Tomáš why Mstivoj (who had received the entire vojvodeship in his infancy) had chosen to make Lehnice his seat of power.

Tomáš’s entourage, which included himself and Ricciarda as well as his daughters Almodis, Winefride and Maria and his sons Bohodar and Ivan, made its way in through the gate and up through the town to the hall, where he was greeted by a trimly-built, clean-shaven youngster with blond hair who could be none other than Vojvoda Mstivoj Rychnovský.

‘My Lord Kráľ,’ the youth greeted his liege confidently, ‘you are most welcome!’

2021_06_20_64a.png

‘Well-met, cousin!’ Tomáš lit down from his mount and gave the youngster a firm hug. ‘It is good to see you in person, and I thank you for the kind invitation.’

‘I fear we have little that might compare, in these rustic settings, with what you are used to in Olomouc,’ Mstivoj said with a bit over-eloquent modesty, ‘but my home is your home for as long as you wish to stay! And I see you have brought my other cousins with you—splendid! Shall I see you too your rooms? You have had quite a long journey.’

Once Tomáš, Ricciarda and their children had taken their leisure for a half-hour or so, Mstivoj welcomed them into the hall, where a roast-pig centrepiece and several varieties of game beasts, fowl and fish formed the main part of the meal. There were also dumplings and pickled cabbage, as was right and proper, and vegetables of several kinds, with the small, glossy, buttery-tasting turnips holding the pride of place among them. But where Mstivoj excelled was in providing libations.

In addition to several excellent barrels of ale, Mstivoj broke out a store of spiced mead which went down smooth and sweet. Tomáš found himself imbibing much deeper than was his usual wont.

2021_06_20_65a.png

‘Excellent!’ he exclaimed after his fourth or fifth horn of the stuff. ‘Truly excellent! And you brew this here in Lehnice?’

‘It’s something of a local art,’ Mstivoj acknowledged. ‘And—I don’t mean to sound immodest—I have got a fairly good nose for the local artistic talent!’

‘I am much obliged to you! Much obliged to you, cousin!’ Tomáš slapped Mstivoj on the back. ‘You truly do know how to make a king feel welcome. Now—what can I do for you? Ask me as your lord, or ask me as kin—if I can do it for you, I will!’

‘Truly?’

Tomáš realised a bit too late what he’d said. Evidently, the mead had gone to his head. However, he could not now take it back. ‘Truly.’

Mstivoj raised his horn to the Kráľ. ‘I’ll, uh… let you know.’

2021_06_20_66a.png

Tomáš cleared his throat and quickly changed the subject. ‘We saw a lot of apiculture in Milčané when I was doing the survey there with Father. Some Sorbs kept as many as ten or twelve skeps of bees on their farms. The kettle-brewed mead thereabouts was also of high quality. Didn’t sneak up on you the way this stuff does, though. Or maybe I just didn’t drink enough of it to notice.’

‘You did a survey in Milčané, my liege?’ asked a colossal, black-haired ettin of a woman sitting off to his right. Although Tomáš had been startled at Hanna Rychnovský’s gargantuan appearance when first he saw her, as well as at her immense appetite, he soon found that she had a fine tongue and was a pleasant conversationalist. ‘Oh, yes, that’s right! Of course you did! I wasn’t yet born at the time, but Uncle Mihail did tell me about it.’

‘To be fair, I was only a boy of ten at the time, myself,’ Tomáš reflected wistfully. ‘I still remember going fishing along the lakes, and seeing the women and children at work in the fields on the second sowing.’

‘Hmmm…’ Hanna stroked her massive chin. ‘The farming practices up that way aren’t the most efficient that I’ve seen. Uncle would get more tax money out of his lands if he insisted on broader clearances, I say. But they know how to keep bees up there, do they? Tell me, did you notice the honey and wax collection? You were there early in autumn, weren’t you?’

2021_06_20_66b.png

Hanna Rychnovský listened raptly as Kráľ Tomáš recalled for her what he remembered of his journey into those regions, and what he remembered of what he’d seen of the Sorbian peasants and how they had made their living. He found a most appreciative audience for his observations and insights—it was clear that Hanna was of a similar turn of mind to his father Eustach, in that she had a ready mind for, and a keen interest in, the art of administering lands and their produce. Stewardship wasn’t Tomáš’s own forte—he preferred talking about spiritual and academic matters, or swordplay—but he found he remembered enough, and could extrapolate enough from what he remembered, to hold forth on the topic with some degree of authority.

‘It is truly a pleasure to speak with you, liege!’ Hanna gave him a toothy grin. ‘Even among the high nobility, it’s rare to hear someone speak with the depth of knowledge and care on such a broad array of things as you do. Imagine a vojvoda or a hrabě who knows as much about beekeeping, brewing and candlemaking!’

Tomáš raised a horn of the sweet drink in her direction. ‘Not every vojvoda or hrabě would take that as a compliment—but I do! Thank you, cousin!’

2021_06_20_67b.png

~~~

2021_06_20_68a.png

‘Well, Hanna certainly knows quality when she sees it!’ Ricciarda beamed proudly at her husband after they’d left for home. ‘It certainly hasn’t been a disappointment to me, to be married to such an interesting and intelligent man.’

‘Thank you as well, my dear,’ Tomáš gave her an indulgent nod and kissed her hand.

‘… though I still wish you’d lose a little weight,’ she smirked. ‘It can’t be healthy for your humoural balance to carry that full barrel around you all the time!’

‘Nonsense, woman,’ Tomáš scoffed, with a certain fond, comfortable tolerance.

Tomáš’s thoughts had already gone to how they might organise a similar feast in Olomouc. Mstivoj might have been modest about his ability to provide a feast for the king’s liking, but said king had thoroughly enjoyed himself there—hasty promises and all. He began putting thought into how best to arrange it, and a pensive mood overtook him on the ride back home.

He certainly had enough money to lavish on the expenses for such an event. The hostages he’d managed to take in the recent action in the Balkans was neither few nor unimportant; the silver he’d taken in exchange was more than enough to provide for a full ten days or even a fortnight of feasting and drinking and music and merrymaking.

2021_06_20_59a.png
2021_06_20_60a.png
2021_06_20_61a.png
2021_06_20_62a.png
2021_06_20_67a.png
2021_06_20_71a.png
2021_06_20_74a.png
2021_06_20_78a.png

‘Did you enjoy the feast, children?’ asked Ricciarda.

‘It was quite nice,’ Maria spoke carefully. ‘There was certainly enough to eat and enough to drink. Everything was well-managed and well-appointed. Our hostess certainly arranged everything well.’

‘And our bold Maria here hardly even touched her food, of course,’ Almodis whispered wickedly to Bohodar. ‘Her eyes were too busy feasting on Paní Irena to bother with her plate.’

Poor Maria blushed with mortification and hung her head. She didn’t deny it, though.

‘I agree with Maria,’ Ivan said, perhaps a trifle loudly, eager as he was to defend his sapphically-inclined sister. ‘The feast was well-prepared. Although speaking for myself, I would liefer have spent my time in the chapel, at prayer and in wakeful vigil for the state of all our souls—far better than attending to empty entertainments and earthly trifles.’

‘Now, now, Ivan,’ Winefride chided her younger brother with a raised brow. ‘Being godly requires being gracious, even as a guest at a feast.’

Such was the discussion of his children as they made their way back to Olomouc. But Ricciarda soon accosted her husband with the obvious question.

‘What has you in such deep thoughts? You hardly spoke to us on the way home!’

‘Ricca,’ Tomáš held his wife’s narrow shoulders tenderly, ‘I was thinking of returning the favour, and hosting a feast of our own for my vassals. Would you help me plan for it and see to it?’

Ricciarda broke into a broad, sunny grin. Nothing made the hardworking emiglièna’s soul truly happier than a new project, an undertaking to benefit the ones she loved. ‘Would I? Mio caro, you ought to have told me sooner! Which guests were you planning to invite? How many days were you planning for? What entertainments were you planning to hire—sacred or profane? Were you planning to hold it around one of the Church feasts, or just impromptu…?’

2021_06_20_79a.png

Tomáš understood, and happily approved, that his wife wasn’t all talk when it came to such preparations. As soon as she understood what her husband had in mind, she began moving heaven and earth to bring about the desired event, and to ensure that every one of the formal niceties were observed as well as the more prosaic creature-comforts of the guests. Formidably she took charge of the household servants and organised them with the cool, confident poise of a battlefield commander. Not for the first time and not for the last, Tomáš was thankful to his father for matching him with such a capable and level-headed weaver of peace and pourer of ale at his table. But when he made his thanks known to Ricciarda, she merely laughed:

‘And what else is the wife of a king supposed to do, if not support her husband and attend to his image before his vassals and before the world? What? You’re not looking to go to bed this early yet, are you, sweet-talking me like that?’

Tomáš laughed at that, although he was a little dismayed at how Ricciarda threw herself into the work without a thought for at least this diplomatic nicety. Ah, well. There would be other ways and other times in which to show her his appreciation.

~~~

2021_06_20_80a.png

CLANG!

Aaaaaahhh!’ Winefride cried piteously, shaking her hands in agony and panic before she began to beat furiously at the front of her gown. ‘Hot! Hot! It burns! Help! Help, someone!

Dazed and dismayed, the clubfooted Hrabě Heník Abovský began muttering profuse apologies to the princess, uncertain as to whether it would be welcome for a man to aid a woman in wiping the hot grease and gravy from the breasts and lap of her gown. ‘I’m sorry—so sorry, I didn’t—’

The overturned cast-iron cauldron, in the meanwhile, had emptied nearly all its contents over the floor of the hall, causing Heník also to cry out in pain and to stumble backwards out of the way as the burning stew splashed over his shoes and ankle-wraps.

Knieža Zvonimír Mikulčický, the lord of Nitra, was seated across the hall, but even he was forced to stand and move to the rear of the hall to avoid the spreading pool of hot broth and chunks of meat. On the other hand, Brother Jakub of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre let out a cry of dismay and leapt into the same pool, falling to his knees and, in a fashion most undignified and unsuitable for his knightly honour, lapping up what he could of the spilt food.

Tomáš gaped in horror and held his hand to his mouth, speechless at the disaster that had unfolded in the space of only a few seconds before his eyes. Then he turned to his sister.

‘Anna—go and help Winnie out of her clothes. Get her tended to—quickly!’

The likewise stupefied sister of the king went to her teary, suffering niece and steered her gently out of the hall and into the nearest and most handy privacy to get the clothes away from her blistering skin and get her cleaned up and anointed the best she knew how. Ricciarda was the next to leap into action with a rag and a bucket and orders for the servants to join her, as she herself went to clean up what she could of the mess.

All their careful plans and entertainments—ruined before his eyes by Heník’s clumsiness! Not that it was his fault, of course… Tomáš felt strongly for his vassal having to deal with such an infirmity, and it giving him such trouble. He and Ricciarda would have much to discuss if they were going to plan another such feast. And clearly the king himself had a great deal of learning to do about the placement of cauldrons at such gatherings as this. Entertainments like hunts and feasts were, after all, serious business.

2021_06_20_81a.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Book Three Chapter Twenty-Eight
TWENTY-EIGHT
Barnim and Biela
30 March 1074 – 2 September 1078

2021_06_21_8a.png

‘She’s a girl,’ Heinrich exclaimed to his wife, looking down at the wondering infant in his arms.

‘Mm,’ Almodis Rychnovský said weakly, face still gleaming with the sweat of the recent strain of birthing her. ‘She’s to be named Živa, as we discussed—or Sieba in German.’

The gentle giant Heinrich inclined his head. ‘Considerate of you.’

‘Hm. She will have to grow up here, but it would be best if she had a name that permits her to go back with you if she likes. So Živa it is…’ Almodis gave a sigh of disgust. ‘I only wish… she wouldn’t have to have an aunt or an uncle who’s younger than she is.’

Heinrich mouthed an ‘ah’ as he continued to cradle the little girl in his arms. ‘You don’t approve of your mother and father…?’

Almodis shrugged. ‘It’s a bit strange, don’t you think? First they marry me off to you. Then they marry Winnie off to Joab. They marry Bohodar off to that confused little Bulgarian girl who fancies herself a Hayasthani. They marry Maria off to that creepy sulk Daníl Lukinič. And they’ve packed Ivan off to a lavra. And now Mother’s pregnant again.’

2021_06_20_86b.png
2021_06_20_87b.png
2021_06_21_3b.png
2021_06_21_6b.png
2021_06_20_85b.png

2021_06_21_4a.png

‘Not strange at all,’ answered Heinrich, looking out thoughtfully. ‘Empty nest. No more children to look after. Mother and Father rediscovering each other…’

Almodis made a noise of disgust. ‘I didn’t need another younger sib.’

It was then that Ricciarda entered the room, arm-in-arm with Anna, who as the court physician had come to relieve the midwife and examine the newborn. Heinrich did own, quietly, that it seemed a bit strange for a woman whose hair had almost turned white to be glowing like a woman half her age. And as slight and slim as her figure was, the swell of Queen Ricciarda’s belly had early begun to show, and even at twenty weeks her belly was almost as big around again as she was. Ricciarda came over to Heinrich with a broad grin on her face, and looked down intently at her new granddaughter.

‘She’s adorable,’ Ricciarda murmured. ‘Have you given her a name?’

Almodis nodded to Heinrich. ‘Živa,’ she answered simply.

‘A fine name,’ Anna pronounced, holding up the babe and examining her. ‘No deformities, no lesions. Eyes and mouth look healthy. Blood and yellow bile look to be well-balanced. Have you fed her yet, niece?’

‘Hand her back to me,’ Almodis said by way of answer, lifting up the hem of her sweat-stained shift with one hand. Once Anna had relinquished her great-niece, the new mother let little Živa find her way by mouth to the source of food she offered.

The shadow of a darkling girl—newest in Olomouc Castle but one—stood in the doorway, peering in.

‘No need to skulk,’ Almodis called out, a tad less snarky than she usually was, ‘come in and welcome!’

A pair of dark eyes flickered upwards in Alitz Mihajlian’s face before she backed away again.

‘Has anyone ever seen her actually talk to anyone? Even to Bohodar?’ Anna asked worriedly. ‘She’s been so withdrawn…’

‘Among the Armenians, isn’t it considered improper for married women to talk in the company of men?’ Heinrich asked thoughtfully. ‘It might be easier for her if I was out of the room.’

‘I’m not sure that’s it,’ Anna shook her head. ‘Even among us womenfolk, she won’t say a word. I don’t think it’s good for her to be so isolated.’

‘Give her time,’ Ricciarda said. ‘Still waters run deep.’

~~~

2021_06_21_7a.png

‘Are you sure it’s wise, dear—entrusting Daníl Lukinič with the wardship of Krásnoroda Pavelková?’ Ricciarda winced a little as her husband’s kneading fingers dug into her swelling ankles and heels – bare and propped up in front of him. Tomáš chuckled fondly.

‘You didn’t voice any such objections to him as husband for our Maria!’

‘No, that’s true. But then, I had always assumed it would be Maria, between those two, raising any children she bore—am I wrong about that? And Krásnoroda is—’

‘Zvonimír’s heiress, I know.’ Tomáš continued tracing the knots and tender flesh in his wife’s calves and along the backs of her feet, and attempting to smooth and soothe them. ‘That’s one reason why I made that offer. Zvonimír wouldn’t have agreed to let an unmarried man watch over his daughter. And I did want Krásnoroda being raised in this court.’

‘Huh,’ Ricciarda smiled broadly. ‘So that’s your angle.’

‘Whatever do you mean, dear?’

2021_06_20_83a.png

Tomáš glanced up at his wife with a bit of discomfort. He knew, and she did not know he knew, that Ricciarda was harbouring severe doubts about the rectitude of the True Faith as opposed to the Pope’s faith she had grown up with. Of course, she had done very well hiding it from him, but it had still taken him aback when he had found out.

‘Don’t play coy with me.’ Ricciarda’s tone was tolerant—even complacent. ‘Maramoroš is far off from here, and Hungary is very near, and the Pavelkovcí have been as comfortable swearing oaths to one of us as to the other. Of course you want a little… insurance policy. I take it that Zvonimír wasn’t loath to have a man bring his daughter up to embrace her Rus’ roots?’

‘That was one way to sweeten the pot,’ Tomáš continued rubbing her calves.

2021_06_21_9a.png

‘And you do know how to sweeten pots,’ Ricciarda broke into a broad grin, ‘you smooth-talker. How else would I be bearing the burden I am at my age?’

‘Now, now. Don’t tell me she wasn’t your idea, too.’

‘What makes you so sure it’s a she?’ asked Ricciarda. ‘It could be a he. And I never said I minded, only that you were… convincing. Ah.

‘What is it?’ Tomáš asked her, noticing the furrow crossing her brow.

‘It’s starting,’ Ricciarda huffed. ‘Fetch the midwife in!’

Tomáš did as she bade him, and the midwife came at once. But it was three full days from those contractions before she went into labour in earnest. And when she had done, she presented him with a milky-fair, rosy-cheeked, fair-headed little daughter. A lucky guess, indeed.

‘Tomáš, dear,’ Ricciarda pleaded with him, ‘won’t you please reconsider naming her Amalberga, like we discussed before?’

2021_06_21_10a.png

Tomáš looked doubtfully down at the little girl at his wife’s breast. The same objections rose in his mind to when Ricciarda had suggested ‘Amalberga’ before. That name was too common, too workaday, too craftsmanlike, and it wasn’t Slavic. He tried to think of a better name for her, and his eyes settled upon her fair forehead and cheeks.

‘How about Biela?’ asked Tomáš.

Bella,’ the Cisalpine woman chuckled, gazing down at her newborn’s face. ‘Well, she certainly is that.’

‘I was thinking more of the Moravian word for “white”.’

‘Well, either way, the name fits,’ Ricciarda pronounced. ‘Biela she is. Hello, Biela! Hello!’

2021_06_21_11a.png

~~~​

Mstivoj Rychnovský, the vojvoda of Dolné Sliezsko, had succumbed four years prior, at the tender age of eighteen, to an outbreak of smallpox which had ravaged Lehnice. His wife had posthumously borne him an infant son, a pretty little blond-haired thing whom she’d named Ján, but who went by the cognomen of Kaloján. Mstivoj had also—without his lord’s blessing—conquered the northward settlement of Poznaň before his untimely death.

This situation irked Tomáš. He disliked intensely the ‘initiative’ of his march-lords when they went on the offensive against their neighbours… pagan or not. His own temperament was one which favoured peaceable missions. And he also didn’t like his vassals getting too big for their hoses.

One thing which he managed to accomplish, therefore, was to successfully bid for the allegiance of Barnim Ľubič, the hardworking, open young hrabě whom Mstivoj had left as castellan of Poznaň. This having been secured over the infant Kaloján’s head (rather unfairly, even Tomáš had to admit), Kráľ Tomáš summoned young Barnim before him.

2021_06_21_12a.png

‘Today, I release you from your oaths to me,’ Tomáš told the young man. ‘You and all of your getting are from this day forward free of all obligations to me, or to the Moravian crown.’

‘I don’t understand,’ Barnim raised his brows. ‘Have I displeased you in some way, liege?’

Hrabě Barnim,’ Tomáš assuaged him, ‘you needn’t call me “liege” any longer—call me Tomáš! And no, no, my dear lad—you haven’t displeased me at all! However, it hasn’t escaped my notice that I’m not the rightful king over your lands. I feel you would have better luck and better blessing of the Almighty spreading the True Faith among the men of Poznaň without the… improper dictates of the King of Moravia hovering behind you.’

‘Aren’t you being a bit overly-scrupulous?’ asked Barnim. ‘Not that I mind. But I’d have thought having the backing of Moravia’s swords would be more advantageous to that end.’

‘Well,’ Tomáš put an arm around Barnim’s shoulder, ‘I can certainly promise you that my swords will never be aimed against you. And I will surely aid you in other ways.’

2021_06_21_13a.png

Ultimately, Tomáš did manage to allay many of Barnim’s fears about being the northernmost outpost of Orthodoxy against a veritable ocean of hostile Poles and severané. Even if he wasn’t a vassal of Moravia, he would have Moravian support at his back in other ways—including in alliances, if they could be arranged in the future.

But this did manage to set a pattern with Tomáš. Beneath his pudgy, docile exterior, there lurked a razor-keen legal mind which knew exactly how to get what he wanted out of his vassals, and also knew exactly where to stop over-committing himself.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Book Three Chapter Twenty-Nine
TWENTY-NINE
A False Love, a True Friend
11 September 1078 – 16 September 1087

Feast I.
11 September 1078 – 21 December 1081

2021_06_21_14a.png

Tomáš repressed a sigh of irritation. Heník Jakubek Abovský was rapidly making a nuisance of himself.

The hrabě of Boleslav, who made a point of showing his zeal for the True Faith, had taken, in open council, to loudly declaiming the need—nay, the duty!—of the Moravian kingdom to make war upon and conquer the heathen principalities to the north. Tomáš, of course, was not particularly enamoured of this strategy, and so later on he took Heník aside, and told him, sotto voce:

‘Heník, I appreciate your zeal, and of course I share your detestation for the fact that our northern border remains heathen. But do you not think it would be a greater demonstration of the Lord’s power if we wait for the opportune moment? Remember the proverb of the wise king: “He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.” Do you doubt the Lord’s word that those of us who rule our own spirits with patience will prevail?’

‘I do not doubt so, my liege,’ answered Heník.

‘Good,’ Tomáš clapped Heník on the shoulder. ‘Then, I take it that from now on you will abide my patience in matters of our severan policy?’

‘But surely you must admit of our charge to go and make di—’

‘I asked,’ Tomáš repeated himself, dropping his voice to a whisper which couldn’t but sound menacing, ‘if you will abide my patience.’

It looked to be a struggle for Heník, but in the end good sense (and the king’s judiciously-chosen proverb of Solomon!) won the day. Even so, the king found he had difficulty taking his own advice with his minister. Heník’s attitude generally proved a bit wearing on Tomáš’s considerable reserves of patience, and at the end of the day Tomáš found himself gravitating toward his creature comforts: his hearthside chair and his books in his study.

He picked from his desk a tome he had been long been desiring to read: the Ti Ectin Doctus of Saint Denis. An acquisition from another of the pilgrims that had come east along the Jerusalem Road, the Greek grammatical text had clearly been lovingly-bound and cared for, and Tomáš couldn’t help but lavish the same appreciation upon the work. He sat down to read it, and traced his fingers carefully down the copyist’s notes in the margin with an appreciative chuckle. He had not kept track of the hours when the corner of his eye caught a familiar, slender shadow in the doorframe.

‘Up late reading again?!’ Ricciarda hissed at him in her dudgeon. ‘You need your sleep! Haven’t you been complaining to me of late how Heník has been tiring you?!’

‘And I’ve also been waiting for months for a chance to sit down and read this volume, woman,’ Tomáš growled. ‘Stop nagging me.’

‘I. Do. Not. Nag,’ Ricciarda snapped. ‘You are going to listen to me. You need your sleep, and with that paunch you’re growing, you need your exercise. You’re coming with me to bed, now. And then tomorrow morning, you are going to spend the whole time between the Prime and Terce bells walking and getting fresh air.’

‘Or what?’

Ricciarda turned her back on him from the door and folded her arms.

2021_06_21_18a.png

Tomáš sighed, set the book down, and rubbed his eyes with his fingers. The problem was that Ricciarda said was true. He was tired. He was out-of-shape. And he wasn’t doing himself any favours as far as his strained relationship with Heník was concerned by starving himself of good air. He sighed, and stood from his chair with a groan.

‘Very well, Ricciarda. I’m coming.’

~~~

2021_06_21_16a.png
2021_06_21_21b.png

Maria had given birth to twins, Daníl’s children, the previous year: Horislava and Sokol. And now his daughter-in-law Alitz Mihajlian was pregnant. She hadn’t said much to anyone, only to Anna, and Anna had informed her royal brother on the promise he wouldn’t tell anyone else. Maria, though, was now happy to accompany her father on his walks… provided that the twins were asleep and looked-after.

Every morning that following week, a routine that quickly became regular, Tomáš got up every morning before the Prime bell, and went on ambles through the Moravian woods around Olomouc until after Terce. He felt far better for the exercise. His paunch diminished and his face took on a healthier and more handsome colour… and, much to Ricciarda’s irritation, the other court ladies started taking notice. Tomáš still wasn’t quite square with his wife yet after their argument, and so he did nothing to deter them. This caused Ricciarda to be even shorter with him still.

And then came that day in June when things came to a head.

Tomáš was coming back from his daily morning walk with Maria. As he came in through the stockade gate into the bailey, he was taken aback by a slender figure with milky-fair skin, kneeling before him. He was even more gobsmacked when the woman began to sing a love-song… directly to him. As she looked into his eyes, Tomáš recognised the blue eyes and full rose-petal lips as belonging to one of his guests, a nemka named Hélène von Kempten.

2021_06_21_19a.png

In addition to having a pretty (if ordinarily fairly sullen) face, Tomáš soon discovered that Hélène also had a very true voice, and she sang with such sweetness and grace that Tomáš was once again stunned into rapt silence. She had clearly been practising for this moment, but she performed with such vivacity that one could easily have mistaken it for spontaneous.

As the last of her notes trailed off and she reached out her hands to the king, Tomáš lifted her gently to her feet and said to Maria:

‘Our honoured guest has quite the marvellous set of lungs, wouldn’t you say, Maria?’

‘She does indeed.’ There was a trace of envy in Maria’s voice as she examined with intent the older woman’s neckline. Hélène blushed hot at the praise.

However…

Again the slender frame of Ricciarda showed itself in the shadows of the stockade just within Tomáš’s field of vision. She had seen everything—and heard everything. Her green eyes glimmered with a turbulent storm of emotion that blew over Tomáš even at a distance, causing him to shiver. Well did he know when he needed to make an exit, and quickly.

‘If you will excuse me, Hélène…’ Tomáš told her, taking leave of her as gracefully as he could and going within the castle.

~~~

2021_06_21_17a.png

His destination was the guest quarters.

Since Burgomistress Zdislava had taken to spirited nightly rides, it had been necessary to confine her there. She didn’t leave the keep on horseback, but instead visited Hrabě Bratislav’s rooms to get her nocturnal exercise… and kept up half the castle in the process. Zdislava evidently didn’t know the meaning of discretion, though she did arouse no small bit of envy among the court women and no small bit of speculation about Bratislav’s skill and prowess in the bedroom.

When Burgomaster Oleg had brought forward his complaint in council, truly more in the interests of keeping the nightly peace than anything else, Kráľ Tomáš was left with little choice but to act.

He didn’t like the idea of keeping her confined, for several reasons. For one thing, she had saved his life seven years ago; he had not forgotten that good turn. And for another thing, Zdislava was not a married woman nor was Bratislav a married man. Whatever the rights and wrongs of it from the church’s perspective, or from the perspective which regarded Bratislav as high-born and Zdislava common, the kind-hearted Tomáš took no pleasure in keeping a woman confined, merely for seeking a natural outlet where circumstances had denied her a lawful one, and doing no real hurt to another in the process. And lastly, Tomáš had his own desires and confusions to sort out now, caught between Hélène and Ricciarda. How could he blame this poor woman for the sins that lay in his own heart?

‘Liege,’ Zdislava begged him from the guarded doorway. ‘Please let me go. I have learnt my lesson, and I am willing to pay you… thirty denár as a fine!’

‘Yes, yes,’ Tomáš waved his hand to her. ‘That’s why I came up here. You may go. Guards, see to it.’

2021_06_21_20a.png

It was done, and Zdislava thanked her liege profusely. But Tomáš was not out of the woods yet, and he knew it.

Ricciarda gave him the silent treatment, and refused to talk with the king for weeks afterward, let alone sleep in the same bed with him. Tomáš fumed in his sense of grievance.

‘And what should I have to apologise for?’ he muttered to himself. ‘It wasn’t like I asked Hélène to get down on her knees and sing for me. She did that herself! Surely Ricciarda could have seen that! And what answer did I give her? None to encourage! Surely she could have seen that!’

The summer days turned shorter. The leaves turned colour, and the branches upon the trees let them go, sending them whirling into the air on nipping northerly breezes. Sleeping alone and being out of his wife’s good graces, he found the only place he could vent was in council. And of late, he had reason to vent. Heník had been arriving late to council meetings, if he bothered to show up at all—and when he did bother to make an appearance, he always seemed to be distracted and vexed by something.

‘Well, I’ll have it out of him,’ muttered Tomáš grimly as he stalked down to Heník’s rooms in the castle.

He thrust open the door heavily, and stood before his vassal. The blond hrabě had been busy scribbling something on a piece of vellum in front of him. And when he heard the door bang open, he nearly leapt out of his seat for surprise, then hurriedly snatched up the vellum and stuffed it roughly into his scrip.

2021_06_21_23a.png

Tomáš debated with himself whether or not to order Heník to show it to him. In the end, he decided it was more important to impress upon him the need for timely appearances.

‘Abovský. Council session began an hour ago.’

‘I—I am sorry, liege,’ he stammered. ‘I lost track—’

‘The Kráľ requests, and requires, your presence at council session. In a prompt fashion.’

‘Understood, liege,’ Heník swallowed. ‘Thank you, my Kráľ.’

‘Hmph. Yes. Well. Finish what you were doing, and then join me in council as soon as you’re ready.’

And so Heník did, quietly and meekly—grateful that his liege had not insisted upon seeing whatever he had hidden from him. As for Tomáš, he decided he could wait to discover whatever it was Heník was planning. More troubling to him was that still Ricciarda did not speak to him. Until late in the autumn, at the beginning of Advent, when—

‘Come quickly!’ Anna bade Tomáš. ‘Bohodar is already with her!’

Tomáš went along with his sister, and together they went into the chamber where Alitz had just birthed. She was resting now, with twins each sleeping by her, one at each side. Bohodar looked down proudly at his new family, all sleeping soundly. The midwife came up to the king.

‘A healthy boy and a healthy girl,’ she told him.

‘Miloslav and Kostislava,’ Bohodar clarified.

2021_06_21_22a.png

So one day, God willing, Moravia would have a King Miloslav! Tomáš peered down with joy at his daughter-in-law and his new grandson and granddaughter. And who should come in to see them as well, but Tomáš’s queen Ricciarda. And to Tomáš’s surprise, she came right up to his side and slid her slender arm up to rest upon his thick one.

‘They are beautiful, aren’t they?’ he asked her.

He could feel Ricciarda’s head nod against his shoulder. ‘They are beautiful.’

‘Alright, alright,’ Anna shooed Tomáš, Bohodar and Ricciarda out of the room once they’d had their eyeful of their newest kin. ‘Mother and babies need to rest. Out. Come back when she’s awake.’

Tomáš and Ricciarda departed arm-in-arm back to their room.

‘Does this mean you forgive me?’ asked Tomáš.

‘On one condition,’ Ricciarda told him. ‘Whatever you have going on with that German tart, you break it off. As soon as may be.’

In the recent months, Tomáš had come to realise how much his sweet, slender Cisalpine wife meant to him—and that she was not worth forsaking even for so milky and rosy a young lover as Hélène. He agreed, gladly, to do so. And Ricciarda was satisfied. Tomáš disabused Hélène, when she showed up before him in private audience, of the unshakeability of his commitment as a married man, and the impossibility of her hopes. She… hadn’t taken it well. But Ricciarda’s gratitude was well worth it.

2021_06_21_21a.png

‘My liege,’ Heník called to him from the door of his study. ‘Would you do me the honour of joining me in a little stroll?’

Tomáš, at peace with his wife and with his world now, agreed happily. ‘With pleasure, sir!’

‘I do realise that my behaviour of late must have vexed you,’ Heník told him. ‘But, by Saint George, I tell you that my reasons were good.’

Heník led him to the high hall, where the hearth was roaring brightly. And arrayed along all the tables was as grand a Christmas feast as any king might imagine for his own table. Ricciarda was there, glowing. So was Anna. And so were all six of his children! It was clear to him now that Heník had arranged this Nativity Feast for him, entirely at his own expense—and he had done so as a surprise. Laughing, Tomáš fathomed Heník to him.

Kristus sa narodíl!’ Heník toasted the king.

Oslávte Ho!’ Tomáš answered him.

2021_06_21_24a.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
So the Hélène adventure ends before it begins - might she not be able to appeal to the Rychnovský tastes enough to cause a rift between the king and his wife? In any case, that's good news.

Apologies are clearly the theme of this last episode. Zdislava, Tomáš himself, even Heník who appeared to be very much at odds with the king. Looks like peaceful times will last some more - at least insofar as Tomáš himself can choose. I guess he'll have to come to Poznaň's defence soon enough, the heathens clearly not just leaving this outpost of Christianity alone but rather dreaming of reconquest.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So the Hélène adventure ends before it begins - might she not be able to appeal to the Rychnovský tastes enough to cause a rift between the king and his wife? In any case, that's good news.

Apologies are clearly the theme of this last episode. Zdislava, Tomáš himself, even Heník who appeared to be very much at odds with the king. Looks like peaceful times will last some more - at least insofar as Tomáš himself can choose. I guess he'll have to come to Poznaň's defence soon enough, the heathens clearly not just leaving this outpost of Christianity alone but rather dreaming of reconquest.

Good thing I checked for replies before posting this! Astute as usual of you, @alscon. Yes, given that Tomáš has both calm and compassionate traits, I think it fair to presume he's a fairly laid-back kind of fellow. Not one to pursue vendettas, but neither someone to be trifled with.

Poznaň, unfortunately, is in for some rough times. But that is a matter for the next book!

~~~

Feast II.
9 February 1082 – 14 April 1084

Siegel ben Yousef haHasiyd had a small problem.

That problem was a small bundle carried delicately and caringly in the Ashkenaz man’s hands, as he went up to the doctor’s residence just outside the bailey. He hesitated in front of the door, and then went inside. Hopefully, the claims of kinship, and those of professionalism, would prevail over those of religious mistrust and prejudice. Siegel’s experience gave him little reason to hope—but for the sake of his problem, he would hope on. Taking a breath and blowing it out through his dark brown beard, he strode forward in through the door.

The woman he had sought was sitting at a desk poring over the translation of some old Greek text, the original of which lay next to it, and chuckling to herself over some mistake (or possibly correction) that she, or another, had made. Even from where he stood, he could see two different hands at work on the Slavonic text. Upon hearing Siegel step through the door, though, she looked up. As she took in the man before her, and in particular his blue felt hat, her lip curled in disdain.

2021_06_21_25a.png
2021_06_22_7a.png

‘What do you want, Jew?’ she said.

The cold tone was a familiar one to Siegel. The chosen people would always face such a reception among the goyim, no matter where they went. Siegel sighed and pressed forward with what he knew he must do, for the sake of his problem. Silently Siegel approached Anna Rychnovská. He brought the problem forward, and Anna gazed down at her. There in Siegel’s bundle lay a large, burbling baby of a swart complexion. Apart from a look of drawn-out hunger, though, the baby appeared healthy and normal.

‘My daughter,’ Siegel told her.

‘She looks perfectly healthy to me,’ Anna replied to him. ‘What need does she have of a doctor?’

‘She has no need of a doctor, paní. She has need of food and a roof over her head.’

Anna folded her arms and looked reproachfully at Siegel. Siegel explained:

‘I’m the son of the shammash of what was once the Hasidic synagogue in Wien. Our synagogue had been there for many years—since my great-grandfather’s time at least. But as Herzog Ludwig grew older, he became more and more mistrustful of us. He ordered our eviction, and had his steward and burgomaster confiscate our synagogue and our homes. The townspeople, they…’ Siegel trailed off. ‘There’s nothing left. We had no choice but to flee. My wife and I came here, but we can go no farther. We’re out of money.’

‘A Jew, out of money?’ Anna sneered. ‘A likely story.’

Siegel kept himself from bristling. ‘It’s true. What little we had after the Viennese ransacked us and put our house to the torch, we used to come here. And we know no one in this town. My wife’s milk ran out; she’s hungry, as am I. We have nothing with which to feed our girl. I am pleading with you—would you take her in?’

Anna kept her arms crossed. Normally she was fairly sympathetic to those who came to her, but a sullen and bitter anti-Semitism was one of her regrettable failings. ‘If you had brought me a sickly child, or one in need of medicines or surgery, you might well have a valid claim upon me as physician. I’ve sworn an oath to help, and I’ve never yet turned away a patient. But I’m no governess and no wet-nurse, particularly not for a vagrant Christ-bane like you.’

‘For the Lord’s sake, her mother’s a Rychnovská!’ Siegel exploded.

That caused Anna to do a double-take. She took another look down at the hungry baby. The girl’s round, dark eyes, her thick black brows and the delicate silky strands of black that covered her caramel scalp were all entirely Semitic. But… the little girl’s nose was blunt and cogitative, a feature which she and her brother shared, which their grandfather Jakub had, and which (if the family stories were true) was derived from Slovoľubec and reinforced by his union with the snub-nosed Mechthild. But such a resemblance was hardly proof enough for the physician.

‘Do you have any proof?’ she asked. ‘I still find it hard to believe that any woman of my blood would match herself willingly with a Jew.’

Siegel withdrew from his threadbare scrip an antique belt-buckle, darkened with age but clearly well cared-for, as a keepsake. The prong and frame themselves were made of wrought iron, but the coverpiece on the bar was delicately inlaid with gold and copper wire in an intricate geometric pattern. He handed it over to Anna, who examined the piece.

‘It’s Serbian,’ she said aloud. ‘These were the fashion about two hundred years ago.’

‘It belonged to Tihomír Moisević—the husband of Viera Rychnovská,’ Siegel explained. ‘She cherished it even after his death. And she passed it on to their son Miloš. In this way it came down, generation by generation, to my wife.’

Anna looked at the belt-buckle, and then back down at the baby girl whose claim to her blood it testified. Whatever prejudices Anna harboured against Jews, at the end of the day she was neither a cruel woman, nor a capricious one. She turned back to the girl’s father.

‘You do realise that, once you give her to me to raise, I will have her baptised and raised in the True Faith? And that she will keep her name as a Rychnovská?’

Siegel smiled bitterly. ‘That was always the assumption. Believe me, if God had given me a way to raise her without giving her to a Gentile, I would have taken it.’

Anna considered. Dun though she was, the baby was heartbreakingly pretty. The last fragments of resistance in her heart broke down.

‘Very well,’ Anna told Siegel. ‘She’ll have a home with me, and she’ll be well cared-for. You have my word as a physician, as a woman and as a Rychnovská. Also—please take this, for your wife’s sake.’ Anna handed Siegel a purse with some silver coins in it, along with the belt-buckle. ‘Where do you plan on taking her?’

‘Budín,’ Siegel sighed. ‘Either there or Sadec. Both towns are well-reputed as safe havens for… our kind.’

Anna breathed an ‘ah’ of acknowledgement. Yes, that would make sense. Both Sadec and Budín had been ruled by the Aqhazarlar (who prior to their conversion had been Karaites). On account of that past they had both been fairly tolerant of Jews, such that significant synagogues had established themselves in both towns.

‘Goodbye, my daughter,’ Siegel kissed the little girl farewell. ‘May the Lord protect you. Your father and mother will never forget you.’

And thus he took his leave. Anna cradled the little girl in her arms, and murmured gently to her:

‘Well, well, my little fosterling. Before I give you to one of my daughters to nurse and grow strong again, you need a name, don’t you? And there’s only one thing to call you, isn’t there?’

2021_06_22_26a.png

~~~

2021_06_21_15a.png

Brother Ignac, in the meanwhile—in life Ivan Rychnovský—was meticulously copying out text for his hegumen at the Petropavlovská Lavra near the town of Loket in western Bohemia. Although he was not the most original of thinkers, the brothers had discovered that his handwriting was good, and that his copy was entirely free of mistakes. He was thus often kept busy in the lavra scriptorium.

‘Brother Ignac,’ called Brother Nikefor, ‘leave your work and come to the chapel. Father Pavel wishes to have a word with you.’

Obediently, Ignac went together with Nikefor and went to Hegumen Pavel. A short, elderly man with a long white beard, Pavel nonetheless engendered trust and goodwill with his gentle and unassuming nature. Ignac loved him, as did the great many of the monks who were under his care.

Pavel clasped the young boy by the hands and kissed him on either cheek before posing to him a question.

‘Ignac, my beloved son, we have recently received an oblation of a most unusual sort, and I wished to ask your advice as a fellow-oblate. Are Berhanu Sehul and his wife Lulit known to you?’

‘No, Father,’ Ignac answered honestly. ‘Who are they?’

They were pilgrims,’ Pavel answered his spiritual son. ‘They came to the Cathedral at Velehrad and the tomb of Saint Methodius from Abyssinia, I believe. Our father among the saints effected for Berhanu’s brother-in-law a most miraculous cure, removing the cancer from his body, at the very moment that Berhanu’s lips touched his relics. To give thanks to the saint, and under the guidance and discretion of the Metropolitan, Berhanu and Lulit made their home here in Moravia.’

‘Glorious is God in His saints!’ Ignac exclaimed. ‘But, Father, forgive my impatience—you said something about an unusual oblation?’

‘Indeed I did. Berhanu and Lulit recently gave birth to a son, Ezana. The two of them are insistent upon giving him to God, and more specifically entrusting him to this lavra to raise. I have no doubts about the miracle which Saint Methodius visited upon them. I likewise have no doubts about their sincerity. But I confess that I know little of the ways of the Abyssinians. And I have always felt uncomfortable with the practice of taking on the very young, before they are old enough to know their own minds. Would it be proper for us to take such an infant into our care here, do you think?’

‘I am not a learned brother,’ Ignac said modestly, ‘but it seems to me that the miracle was the work of God, and so God’s will was also that these pilgrims should make their home here. Who is to say that their bringing their son here is not also God’s will?’

‘Hmm,’ Pavel stroked his beard thoughtfully. ‘And you have no qualms about him being an infant?’

‘I didn’t say that, Father. Perhaps it might be well to educate him here first, and then ask his will when he attains to my current age? If he wishes not to be a monk, we may let him go his way. But if he wishes to remain here, we may allow him to stay.’

‘This is my mind as well,’ Pavel nodded gently. ‘Thank you for your rede, Ignac. You reassure me.’

~~~​

It was in fact a bumper-crop season for Rychnovsk‎ý children. Alitz Mihajlian had given birth to another son, named Prisnec. (Prisnec’s ancestor was surely turning in his grave. If only she could have known what headaches Slovoľubec had suffered on account of another Prisnec of his acquaintance…) And little Prisnec had not only a distant cousin under Anna’s care, but also two much closer that year. Maria had given birth to another daughter, Blažena. Blažena was followed by Slávka, the year after that, Prisnec was followed by Alžbeta Maria—and Winnie had given birth to her first, Volimíra.

2021_06_21_26a.png
2021_06_21_28a.png
2021_06_22_9a.png
2021_06_22_17a.png
2021_06_22_10a.png

The entire castle had grown, by the same measure, quite noisy. The older among Tomáš’s grandchildren, imps that they were, had claimed the whole of the grounds from the moat to the keep tower as their own personal space. It was therefore quite difficult for Tomáš to get any measure of uninterrupted peace, not even in his own study!

In order to help himself relax, the king had taken up a number of… unusual ascetic disciplines and spiritual practices which were not altogether kindly regarded by the Church hierarchy. One might say more correctly that he dabbled in them—not enough to become regarded as any kind of mystic or faith-healer, but enough to focus himself during the day and give himself a sense of calm.

2021_06_21_30b.png
2021_06_22_5a.png

This calm helped him deal, not only with his grandchildren, but also with his vassals. Unfortunately, he again had to intervene in the cases of the Knieža of Nitra (whose patrimony was encroaching upon lands which belonged to Tomáš by right—namely, Znojmo) and of the one-eyed Vojvoda Igor of Horné Sliezsko, who was too-greedily picking up stray parcels of Bohemian territory. As well, he thought it would be a gesture of good faith to help the Hrabě of Litoměřice handle a smallholders’ and bowers’ revolt. Swiftly done, but still something of a headache.

2021_06_22_4a.png
2021_06_22_6a.png
2021_06_22_8a.png

2021_06_22_18a.png
2021_06_22_19a.png
2021_06_22_20a.png

It therefore came as no surprise when Tomáš declared a Paschal feast at Olomouc, open to all of his nobles as well as the commons thereabout. He promised not only fine wines and meads, but also roast pork, choice cuts of beef, quail, pheasant, spiced sausages, egg-cheese, rich egg-laden paska bread, turnips with rich meat gravy, almond marzipans and sweet pound cakes. And in addition to this: the most boisterous of wholesome secular entertainments, song, dance and theatrics to be found in his whole realm. And all of what he promised, he made sure to provide in abundance. Ricciarda even bargained for an entirely new set of glassware for the kráľ’s table, for just such an occasion.

2021_06_22_21a.png

Tomáš’s second feast—after having learned well from the disaster of the first one—went off much better. The hired musicians and gašparkov made quite the splash. However, the bustle and noise seemed rather distressing to one of his vassals in particular. Vojvoda Igor Rychnovský’s one good eye was tense and twitching, his jaw was set, and his knuckles on the table were clenched white. It wasn’t anger, but dread—terror, even—which beset him. He looked as though he were going to be sick, with all of the people talking and laughing around him.

Poor man! The Kráľ, thinking quickly on his cousin’s behalf, stood quickly, demanded a lively tune of the musicians, and strode toward the open doorway opposite the hearth, away from where Igor was sitting, where he led the guests in a circle-dance. As he did so, he caught Igor’s good eye and gave a twitch of his head, as though to say: ‘Now’s your chance.’ Igor returned a grateful nod to the king, stood up, and made a graceful exit while everyone else was joining the dance. Tomáš breathed an internal sigh of relief on the lord of Horné Sliezsko’s behalf once he saw him out. Tomáš gave an uproarious laugh and applauded loudly for the musicians once they had finished their round.

2021_06_22_23a.png

‘You are surprisingly graceful on your feet, my liege,’ Heník Abovský complimented the king. ‘Far more so than I was at your last feast, I fear.’

There wasn’t even a trace of bitterness in his vassal’s voice as he said it, only regret for what he had cost the king. Tomáš scoffed. ‘Oh, come. You’re not still apologising for that, are you? My dear hrabě, that sort of accident could happen to anyone, and even Winnie’s forgiven you long since. Isn’t that right?’

‘That’s right, Heník,’ Winnie told him. She was in a good mood and high spirits as well. ‘No lasting hurt to me, not even to my pride—and so it should be no lasting shame to you.’

‘You’re both too kind,’ Heník said to both of them.

‘Would you join me in another drink, Heník?’ asked Tomáš. ‘I’ve got a nice twenty-year mead that has yet to be opened; perhaps you’d like to share it with me?’

2021_06_22_22a.png

Heník gladly shared the mead with the king, and the two of them spent much of the evening in agreeable conversation. Much of it was, in fact, reminiscence about the Bulgarian wars that they had fought in together—the bitter defeats as well as the camaraderie—and talk of Bohemian matters. Tomáš knew well that the Bohemian lords had often struggled bitterly against their Moravian masters on behalf of their rights, and it could be said in his favour that he sought to redress the sources of those grievances. Heník had quite a few useful insights there, understanding as he was of conversations and interests that took place under the table and out of the public view.

Tomáš’s feast was an incredible success, and even if Ricciarda might have complained a bit about some of its excesses, still she appreciated the chance to show off her skill as a hostess, and did so with great zest. The frequency and the occasional outrageousness of the king’s hall during such feasts became a matter of much discussion. Even the common subjects had to agree, when the spare furnishings of his feasts became available to the needy and beggars, that it could be a very fine thing to have a king who was fond of partying.

2021_06_22_24a.png
2021_06_22_25a.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Feast III.
11 August 108517 February 1087

2021_06_22_30a.png

It was no mystery to Tomáš, why Siloš Bijelahrvatskić had chosen to marry Volimíra Budínská. There wasn’t any arguing with a pneumatic body like that, one which could easily draw men’s eyes—or with her blonde hair, blue eyes and vivacious smile. Tomáš was observant enough to notice that she enjoyed the attention, too. Neither was it a mystery why Volimíra had chosen to marry Siloš, a swart, bushy-bearded little dwarf of a man with (even the fair-minded Tomáš had to admit) a not-very-prepossessing character. Money and power are often the best matchmakers, Tomáš was musing over his delicately-braised portion of duck. He was in the middle of his musings when their poor subject herself—clearly in her cups—stumbled against his chair and promptly emptied the contents of her own dinner into his lap.

The Panagia’s Nativity in Užhorod. Another feast come and gone.

2021_06_22_30b.png
2021_06_22_29a.png
2021_06_22_31a.png

Ricciarda merely chuckled dryly when she beheld his soiled robe and tunic, and took them to beat, scour and hang up to dry. Tomáš reflected thoughtfully on his relationship with this woman he’d known since she was a girl. There hadn’t been much by way of mystery between them, no thrills or tingles, no sleepless nights, no wildfires. The grand passions that Hélène had sung of and sworn up and down before him, and the seductive glimmers that Volimíra cast about her at dinner (when sober, at least), were alien to him.

He understood them on an intellectual level, of course. The wordless, smouldering gazes between his mother and father—and then the feverish rhythms and ecstatic wordless voices that had issued from their room at night—those had been a matter of curiosity when he was young, and then a matter of embarrassment and disgust when he grew older. And then when it came to sharing a bed with Ricciarda, of course he found it enjoyable. But he wouldn’t have described what he felt for her as ‘love’.

Even so… hadn’t she always been there with him? Hadn’t she always rolled up her sleeves whenever he bade something be done? Hadn’t she always shared his worries when it came to his children, his lands, his rule over lord and bower, the state of his soul? Hadn’t she shared with him the joys of grandchildren? Hadn’t she given him his space when he desired it? It seemed only natural to go to Ricca for sympathy And now, he realised how much he’d missed Ricciarda in Užhorod, only now when she was again before him.

Was that love?

If Tomáš was tenderer, sweeter, more agreeable toward his wife in the coming months, it was largely because of these thoughts that kept coming back to him—creeping up on him, really—in the back of his brain. But Ricciarda didn’t complain!

‘Milord, come quick!’ huffed one of the garrison. ‘We’ve got a hurt man over the bridge.’

Tomáš jogged and puffed his way after the agitated soldier, and soon came to the north bridge. Tomáš saw clearly from the spurts and trail of blood coming up toward the bridge that the unfortunate bearded youth who had tumbled over the edge had impaled himself on a ragged log of driftwood which had washed up on the western bank. Three of the garrison had picked him up—Ruslav was his name, if the kráľ remembered right—and laid him out on a clear, dry patch of grass. The sergeant was shouting at several other soldiers about the importance of staying in formation, particularly when crossing a bridge. Then he turned to the king.

‘My liege—I beg your pardon, I was expecting Anna. If it please your Majesty, is there anything you can do for the lad?’

It had been awhile since Tomáš had studied his mother’s Animadversiones, and Ruslav was in bad shape. But Tomáš looked back up at the sergeant and answered: ‘I will try. Stand back.’

He had cleared the torn strands of clothing away from the lad’s wound and cleaned it with water to see where the baneful jut of wood was emerging from his flesh, when the physician herself came out of the gate and hurried toward the bridge. Soon she was at Tomáš’s shoulder.

‘You remember mama’s lessons well, my brother,’ Anna nodded in approval.

‘Even so, I could use another pair of hands.’

2021_06_22_32a.png
2021_06_22_33a.png

Between them, Anna and Tomáš finished cleaning Ruslav’s wound and dressed it, with Anna supplying the proper ointments and clean linen for the bandaging. Ruslav was still too weak to get to his feet, and so the three men who’d brought him up from the river took him up between them and brought him back to the barracks.

‘March!’ the sergeant ordered the other dismayed garrisoners. ‘Milord. Milady.’ And he went back through the gate at the side of the line.

Anna turned to her brother. ‘Would you care to join me, Tomáš, in a walk back to my house?’

Tomáš agreed, and they walked back through the town gates toward the centre of Olomouc, and the king entered his sister’s abode—a handsome two-storey timber house with a high triangular roof, somewhat larger than the other zemnicy in town. It was cosily appointed inside, though the tang of various medicinal herbs and preparations—some sweet, some bitter—burned in the king’s nose. Among them he recognised: thyme, nettles, mint, the unmistakeable reek of spring elder, linden, foxglove, sweet balm, fennel, chicory, buckthorn and rose-hips. Along the walls were arrayed various healing implements as well: tongs, cauter, pins, splints and twine, bandages, surgical knives and saws. Anna had learned their mother’s art thoroughly, and continued to learn even in her old age.

‘Viera!’ Anna scolded as she beheld her four-year-old ward atop a stool trying to reach a set of surgical implements. ‘Get down from there! What in God’s name do you think you’re doing?’

‘Sorry, tetka,’ the caramel-skinned girl bowed her head contritely. ‘Wanted to see what they do. Won’t do that again.’

‘See that you don’t, please,’ Anna spoke a little more gently. ‘Those tools are sharp, and I would liefer not see you hurt, Vieročka. Now—will you be a good little hostess and greet our guest?’

The four-year-old bowed her head deeply and dropped a very proper courtesy. ‘God greet you, O Kráľ.’

‘It is always good to see you, Vieročka,’ the king told his little kinswoman indulgently. And it was true—Anna’s young Jewish fosterling was a truly enchanting creature, as fit and strong of body as children several years her elder and as cute as a button, though she was full of questions and insistence upon knowing the why and the how of anything given. It was as though some of Anna’s brilliance had come off upon her. ‘Have you begun lessons yet?’

Viera nodded seriously. ‘Tetka taught me numbers. I can count to a hundred; you want to hear?’

Tomáš patted the little girl on the head. ‘Perhaps later. I think your tetka has some things she wants to talk to me about.’

‘Really?’ Viera asked, interested. ‘What kind things?’

Tomáš chuckled. ‘Grown-up things. Boring things. You might want to go and play.’

It took some while for Anna and Tomáš to get Viera to direct her attention elsewhere—grown-up things, in her perspective, were not necessarily boring.

‘Remind you of someone you know?’ Tomáš asked Anna. His sister, knowing exactly what he meant, grinned.

‘A couple of people, actually,’ Anna remarked. ‘I wouldn’t have credited it at first, given who her father is. But a Rychnovská she is, in name and in truth. I have faith that she’ll turn out well.’

2021_06_22_36a.png

‘You do love her, don’t you?’

‘Vieročka is the third of my daughters, and all the more precious to me for my having taken her as ward—reluctant though I may have been at the time. Of course I love her! Just as you love Almodis and Winnie and Maria… and your wife,’ Anna remarked shrewdly.

‘Oh. Is it that obvious?’ Tomáš muttered.

‘It’s Anna you’re talking to, you know, braček. You don’t have secrets from me.’

Tomáš sighed. ‘D’you know, I never even realised how I felt about Ricciarda until I was well in the thick of it. I wouldn’t have admitted that I loved her when I was younger. And not even as recently as when Hélène von Kempten knelt down to me in the bailey! But now, equally so, I can’t even think of denying it. Isn’t that strange?’

Anna laid an affectionate hand on her brother’s elbow. ‘Not at all.’

~~~

2021_06_22_39a.png

‘Make sure you get outdoors,’ Ricciarda advised her husband. ‘Good for your belly.’

‘I always do. Never fear.’

The old argument between them was now carried on more for the sport of it than out of an actual desire to change one or the other. Ricciarda’s hair was now totally white, but in Tomáš’s eyes it was fairer and more desirable even than it had been when it was red. And just as happy as he was to indulge her, so she was to yield herself to his caresses.

‘Enough of that, enough of that, off with you,’ she shooed him off with a laugh.

Tomáš went out for his walk, and found Biela awaiting him in ambush in the snow. The spirited snowball fight and roughhousing between them that ensued was a mark of Tomáš’s deep affection for her as well. Family truly was the important thing, even for a king.

2021_06_22_34a.png

Last edited:
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Going down to the tomb,
To see the stone rolled away.

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!

1503188034_2106-hristos-voskrese.gif

• 1Love
Reactions:
Feast IV.
15 March 1087 – 16 September 1087

2021_06_22_41a.png

‘Do you know one thing I truly enjoy about these feasts, dear?’ asked Tomáš.

‘Oh, you enjoy everything about them,’ Ricciarda smirked. ‘A bit too much, I daresay.’

‘Well—in particular, I mean, dash it, woman!’ Tomáš blustered. ‘See here—since I’ve been king, I’ve attended grand festivities in Lehnice and in Užhorod. I also attended that lesser function in Znojmo this past February. And now Heník’s invited me to Boleslav! It’s such good fun visiting all of these towns and halls in my kingdom which I might never otherwise see!’

‘Yes… I’d imagine you learn quite a bit from these little ventures.’

‘I do. I flatter myself, I do.’

‘Refresh my memory…’ his wife inquired archly, ‘how tight would a grown man’s hand be squeezed, down the front of Volimíra Budínská’s gown again?’

Tomáš chuckled. ‘You’re not sad I shared that little detail with you, are you? Well… hardly a little detail…’

‘No, I’m not,’ Ricciarda told him. ‘You’ve been honest with me right along; I appreciate that. Just take care you don’t get, ah… too caught up in such “details”.’

Tomáš showed her both hands, making sure that the wedding-band on his right hand[1] was clearly visible. ‘These are quite chaste, I assure you.’

‘Hmm… I see you make no excuses for your eyes,’ Ricciarda warned him playfully. ‘And the eye is the lamp of the body, remember. Just take care to be civil.’

‘I am always civil,’ Tomáš asserted.

boleslav_castle.jpg

Soon enough the royal couple had arrived at the Abovský estate just outside Boleslav. The manor house was situated behind the usual stockade atop a hill half-covered with spruce and birch forest, along which a winding path bore them upward and into the courtyard.

‘Milord!’ Heník greeted Tomáš, limping down the stairway with an enthusiasm that militated boldly against the deformity of his bad foot. ‘I bid you welcome!’

‘It is always good to see you, Heník,’ Tomáš told him. ‘I hope we aren’t too late, Ricciarda and I.’

‘Not at all! But… I don’t see Bohodar with you. Could he not make it here?’

2021_06_22_42a.png

‘I’m afraid not, this time,’ Tomáš said regretfully. ‘He insisted upon drilling the zbrojnošov, as he said they were getting too fat and comfortable in our times of peace. The lad does prepare admirably for the worst, but sometimes I think he forgets to hope for the best.’

‘A better failing than the reverse,’ Heník remarked shrewdly. ‘Still, we do miss him here. Will you come within, milord? Take your leisure as you need, but I hope you and Ricciarda will consent to sitting as my guests of honour here.’

‘With pleasure,’ the king answered.

Several others had already arrived in the hall of Heník Abovský. They were seated each at their place around the long tables, and looked around the well-lit banquet hall impressed. The fine new glass wares of Bohemian make were all laid out, sparkling and precisely in their proper places. The embroidered cloths as well were pressed. Everything was well appointed. There was only one problem.

‘Where on earth is the food?’ asked Bohunka, one of the wives of the hrabata there present. A frustrated furrow creased her brows. Some murmurs from the other guests indicated that her sentiments were broadly shared, and even Tomáš was beginning to feel the pangs of hunger after some awkward minutes sitting with the other guests at the table.

2021_06_22_44a.png

He stood. ‘I’ll, um… I’ll go look for him, shall I?’

Ricciarda lay a hand on her husband’s sleeve. ‘Dear, don’t make a fuss, please.’

‘I intend to do no such thing,’ Tomáš assured her mildly. ‘But he may need help.’

Tomáš left the banquet hall and stepped out into the corridor. He found that there was a flight of stairs leading to the kitchen. He paused by the landing, and was about to move on from there when he heard a sharp indrawn breath from below.

‘Heník?’ asked Tomáš. No answer. But the ragged breaths from the bottom of the stairs continued.

Gingerly the king started down the staircase. As he came to the bottom he saw the dim outline of a man’s form sprawled out on the floor.

Milý Bože, človeče—are you alright?’

‘Just… took a misstep—’ came the voice of Heník from the crumpled form three steps below the king. ‘I’ll—I’ll be alright, don’t worry about me—’

Kec,’ hissed the king as he offered his arm to his vassal. ‘Come on, old fellow.’

Tomáš helped Heník Abovský to his feet and held him under the right shoulder to ease the burden on his malformed foot. With effort, he assisted the hrabě as he continued on his way to the kitchen. The cook and maidservants had anticipated him, and were waiting for his order to go ahead and serve the guests, which he gave willingly. Then Tomáš helped him to a seat at the servants’ table and let him sit.

‘The guests were feeling a bit peckish,’ the king told him cheerily, ‘but once they’re served I think they’ll forgive their host a few minutes’ further absence.’

‘Most kind, liege,’ Heník blew a pained breath through his teeth. Then he chuckled. ‘I suppose I should be thankful it was you rather than someone else who discovered me. I know you’re not likely to talk.’

‘Whyever should I?’ asked Tomáš mildly, though in fact he was almost insulted at the very suggestion. ‘We all have our crosses to bear from our Creator, whether in body or in the trials of the soul. Why should I laugh at a man for bearing his as best he can, when the one I have on my shoulders is heavy enough?’

‘Heavier, indeed.’ Tomáš was gratified to see his vassal’s shoulders relax slightly. Whatever hurt he had sustained to his leg was nothing compared to the hurt to his pride. But now that that was no longer under threat, he could breathe a little easier. ‘Being a king must not be easy, trying to keep all us vassals happy and in control, trying to ensure a fair rule, watching our borders for threats. And then you have fools like me to deal with, trying to get you to leap into action before we’re ready.’

2021_06_22_43a.png

Tomáš laughed. ‘I suppose it’s well you know it.’

Heník joined him, chuckling. ‘Say, my liege, would you like to have a look at some of my private stores? I should have a firkin or two of the good stuff lying around, if you’d like to crack one open with me.’

‘I shall join you with pleasure,’ Tomáš told him. ‘And call me Tomáš. No need for the formalities between us by now, eh?’

With some assistance, the hrabě of Boleslav and the king of Moravia went into the wine cellar and brought out a firkin of a vintage agreeable to them both, with a promise to come back for it later after the dinner was drawing to a close and the guests had gone off to their rooms for the night. So it went, and so they did. After the food had gone and the guests were beginning to feel drowsy from wine and merriment, Tomáš went back to the wine cellar with Heník and the two of them spent a long time over bowls of the stuff, chatting about this and that… not just northern policy, but also explorations and surveys, impressions of various places and people. Heník found Tomáš not only a sympathetic listener but also a knowledgeable conversationalist. And now the hrabě understood the king not only as a liege, but as a kind and trustworthy human being, worthy of the name of ‘friend’. It was his good fortune that the respect went both ways, and that Tomáš neither pitied nor condescended to his bodily disability, but treated him with a warmth and closeness that generously overlooked it.

Tomáš was loath to leave the Abovský estate, but was more than happy to have spent this time together with his vassal. Rare was the vassal who could be both liked and trusted, and Heník had proven himself to be both. Tomáš cherished him, and would do so throughout his life.

2021_06_22_45a.png

[1] It is Orthodox Christian custom to wear the wedding-band on the right hand rather than the left. –Auth.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Book Three Chapter Thirty
THIRTY
What is Aleppo?
18 December 1087 – 11 March 1091

I.
18 December 1087 – 30 November 1089

water-park-mill-creek-olomouc-nature-trees.jpg

Tomáš had taken to heart the lessons he had learnt from his sojourn into Milčané in his youth. Having seen for himself the admirable balance the Sorbian peasants had made between themselves and the forests, he sought to recopy such a balance within his own holdings at Olomouc. He had, of course, long had a plan for managing the forests that were left around the capital, and also for replanting them… but until now he had lacked the silver to truly support such a project, to hire and manage royal foresters. But now, thanks to Ricciarda’s thrifty management of the household and his own patient planning, the rudiments of such management for the forest in his demesne were now coming into place.

This suited the bold and outdoorsy Ricciarda quite nicely. ‘It’ll be truly splendid to have places to hunt and ride closer to home than Opava, won’t it, dear?’

‘Yes, Ricca – indeed it will. And this forest shall be dedicated to you!’

Ricciarda flushed with true pleasure. ‘Why, Tomáš. One might suspect you were almost fond of me!’

Tomáš tilted his jowled head gravely. ‘One might. Almost.’

2021_06_22_46b.png

Ricciarda laughed and sat upon her husband’s lap, twining her arms around his neck. She opened her mouth like she wanted to say something, but then closed it again, shook her head, and hugged him close.

Tomáš knew quite well what she wanted to tell him. He had been feeling it too, the past several years—a camaraderie with his spouse, one that was never solely about bed-lust nor any torrid sweeping off of the feet. The love he felt for his wife—yes, that seemed only the natural word to use now—was slow and far from effusive, but it was as deep and as enduring as the roots of some of the elder pines he was now seeking to protect.

There was a noise at the window. Ricciarda extricated herself from her husband’s fathom and went to it. Then she chuckled.

‘What is it?’ asked Tomáš.

‘Your daughter, and your daughter-in-law, seem to have encouraged little Vyšebor to take up sport!’

Maria and Alitz, who were the two closest people to Vyšebor Bijelahrvatskić (being his godmother and his friend, respectively), were watching and cheering him on as he took swings and lunges at his opponent with a wooden practice sword in the ring by the butts. Vyšebor unfortunately wasn’t much good at sparring, but that didn’t stop him from enjoying it. And however he might fly off the handle inside the ring, he wasn’t of such mettle that he begrudged his losses. And he was happy to hug and congratulate the victor over him in the end as well. He might learn a bit better self-control, but otherwise it was good to see Maria having raised someone of good sportsmanship and honour.

2021_06_22_47a.png

‘You ought to go down there,’ Ricciarda prompted her husband. ‘Vyšebor is sure to be encouraged by the appearance of his host!’

‘I… don’t think that’s such a good idea right now,’ he replied.

‘Whyever not?’

Tomáš sighed. Then he began speaking of the rather awkward and clumsy attempts by his shy daughter-in-law to get him by himself, alone. Alitz Mihajlian had even taking to stalking him on the way to the privy. This didn’t bode well for her relationship with Bohodar.

‘Hmph,’ his wife smirked. ‘Well, I admire your restraint and your constancy.’

‘I may have my faults, dear, but I sincerely hope that taking advantage of a relentlessly silly daughter-in-law is not among them,’ Tomáš answered her.

2021_06_25_1a.png

Again, however, there was a commotion in the courtyard, and this time the source was not Vyšebor.

Tomáš stood and looked out the window beside his wife.

‘What on earth…? Why are the Brothers of the Holy Sepulchre here?’

‘I take it you didn’t invite them.’

‘No. I did not.’

‘Then you may want to go down and ask them yourself.’

Tomáš put on and clasped his cloak, and strode out of the study and down the steps. Grandmaster Sulić of the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre greeted him there. Sulić, a soft-spoken but rather dour man who had about ten or so years on Tomáš, bowed deeply before the king, spreading his white robe and mantle out on either side as he did so.

‘Your Majesty,’ the Grandmaster said. ‘I beg your pardon for the intrusion. I have a summons for any man who wishes to receive it, as well as some dire news from the far end of Christendom.’

‘What news?’ asked the king. ‘And what is the nature of the summons?’

‘The news, I am afraid to say, is of a most alarming kind. The Empire is once again facing an invading force from the south. The Hagarenes have taken up arms in the name of their false prophet, and have begun assailing the Christians living in Syria. They are attempting to take Beroia, which the locals call Ḥalab. The Emperor has asked us to assist him in fending off this incursion.’

‘I see,’ Tomáš said gravely. ‘Tell me more of Beroia, sir.’

‘I have only been there myself twice,’ Sulić said. ‘It is a beautiful and ancient city, with high, white stone walls and great gates and arches. The Citadel, which was renovated and expanded by the Hagarenes when they first took the city, but which is significantly older than them—is a particularly beautiful architectural wonder. The city is home to a number of Greeks, Armenians, Circassians, Kurds and Arabs from further south, but most of the people there are Syrians. The ’aswâq are also worth š seeing—many of them are equally ancient, and always buzzing with activity.’

‘So that is why the Hagarenes want it?’

‘The Hagarenes want anything and everything that is not theirs already,’ Sulić groaned. ‘Their Caliphs have been in a constant state of war against the world for the past four hundred years, and they continue to press in upon the borders of the Christian world—including the Empire. Now, though, it is the ’Amîr of Ḥimṣ who is threatening Ḥalab. And it is from him we defend it.’

2021_06_25_2a.png

Tomáš thought on these things for a long time. Indeed, he spoke nothing about it even to Ricciarda until after Almodis had given birth to another daughter for Heinrich, whom they named Dobrohneva.

‘I have long wanted to visit the Holy Land,’ Tomáš told his wife. ‘And now it seems that the place is under grave threat, and that war is already upon the town of Ḥalab whether they want it or not. Should I go there? Should I join in with the Brotherhood of the Sepulchre in their defence?’

‘If they can use the help, as seems to be why they’re here,’ Ricciarda told him. ‘Yes, it is very much so a worthy cause. I’d hate to see any such harm befall innocents, no matter what country or creed. But perhaps it would be better if Bohodar were to go, instead of you. He is the more competent commander—and his presence would be of great help to the Brotherhood, even if he cannot join the order as a married man and as your heir.’

‘This is true,’ Tomáš nodded.

2021_06_25_4a.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
II.
28 December 1089 – 8 July 1090

2021_06_25_11a.png

Long was the march between al-Lâḏiqîyyah on the coast and ar-Raqqah in the Syrian interior. They had landed on the thirtieth of November in the Year of the World 6599, and the weather in al-Lâḏiqîyyah was cool and damp. Proudly had flown the banners of the Moravians from the ships that sailed into al-Lâḏiqîyyah, and welcome was the sight to the Syrians and Greeks of that town! These northern Slavic brothers of the Faith had heard of the Emperor’s troubles facing an invasion of Ḥalab from the south, and had offered assistance which was gratefully accepted. They came alongside the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre, and they would fight alongside them.

The leader of the Moravians was a trimly-built, clean-shaven, soft-spoken man with long reddish-blond hair, named Bohodar Tomášek Rychnovský. Neatly, quickly and efficiently he disembarked his men—nearly eleven thousand of them—and sent them to the Empire’s fortifications for quartering. The Syrians gladly supplied the Slavs with what they needed, and sent them on their way into the interior.

Syria-Wallpapers-for-Android-APK-Download.jpg

The Moravian Army uncoiled by day and recoiled by night, across the long stretches of arid grain-bearing countryside alternating with rocky desert that extended from coastal Syria into the region of Mesopotamia. Although it never got below freezing on the road, the temperature was still cold enough at night for the men to be glad of warm blankets, sturdy tents and cozy fires (at least, on the days when the rains didn’t come). The march lasted for a good month before they came to the village of aṣ-Ṣiffîn on the right bank of the Euphrates, some thirty miles west of ar-Raqqah.

The Ḥimṣi Army was encamped there, having made preparations to march northward against their main target: the city of Ḥalab. There, Bohodar Rychnovský stood alongside his German brother-in-law Heinrich, and called down to them:

2021_06_25_16b.png

‘You trespass upon the domains of the rightful Emperor of New Rome and upon the ancestral lands of the Syrians! In the name of God the Almighty, you shall turn your armies about and go back the way you came, or we shall destroy you.’

‘And what claim do you have here, barbarian and slave?’ came the reply. ‘None, unless you are ready to submit yourself in the proper way to the One God, and to the teachings of His Prophet – peace be upon him – which ’Amîr Rasûl shall spread to these lands. If you do not, then my blade shall sever your unbelieving head from your shoulders!’

The battle lines were drawn up. Bohodar had the larger number of men; they were fresh, and they were fighting in a just defensive cause. However, the armies of Ḥimṣ were not only better-accustomed to the terrain, but also driven by a fanatical missionary zeal for the faith they espoused. The two commanders were equally matched in skill.

‘This will not be an easy engagement,’ Heinrich judged.

‘I am well-aware,’ Bohodar answered him calmly. ‘But I will join it all the same.’

2021_06_25_14a.png

The cool Anatolian winds swept down onto the Euphrates bank. The lances of the Ḥimṣi riders levelled themselves at the line of Moravian infantry, which lowered their own spears to meet them. Bohodar held up his hand, and then thrust it forward for the fatal order. A flight of arrows issued from the Moravian side toward the Ḥimṣi, as the Ḥimṣi riders broke into a gallop and as the Saracen archers answered with their own volley. The battle of aṣ-Ṣiffîn – now between Christian and Sunnî rather than between Shî‘a and Sunnî – had begun.

For much of the day it raged inconclusively. Neither the Moravians nor the Ḥimṣis were able to push the other back. But then, one of the Ḥimṣi fursân broke free of the line and charged directly at the Moravian commander. Bohodar hardly had time to turn his mount before the Iranian fâris Šâhruḵ was upon him, his lance level and deadly with intent. The blow from the Ḥimṣi lance caught Bohodar full in the chestplate, and might well have impaled him had the angle not been slightly off. As it was, he was pitched clean off of his horse, senseless into the dust, as Šâhruḵ came about for another pass.

But the desperate charge had been noticed. Heinrich wheeled his horse about and drove it straight toward where Šâhruḵ had unhorsed the king’s son. Šâhruḵ had built up just enough momentum outside the scrum not to be able to change direction or to bring about his lance and shield in time. Heinrich’s sword was out, and he swung it from the elbow level with his shoulder—it caught Šâhruḵ just under the helmet. Šâhruḵ’s head went flying away in a long, lazy arc while his body stayed in the saddle, briefly, before going limp and slumping off. Bohodar was safe.

2021_06_25_15a.png

Emboldened with zeal as they were, and reckless of their own safety, two other fursân engaging with the more cautious Moravians had suffered the same fate as Šâhruḵ. Although the Moravians had lost more men under the cavalry charges, the lines of the Ḥimṣis were in disarray at the sudden loss of three of their fursân. ‘Amîr Rasûl raised a banner of rally for his riders, causing the inertia of the battle to shift in the Moravians’ favour.

The Ḥimṣi line broke in two places, one of which was dangerously close to the Euphrates. Many of the Ḥimṣis on the right flank were driven into the river and drowned, while the bulk of the Moravians gave pursuit to the Ḥimṣi left flank as it disengaged. That day had dawned with the Arabs only ever having heard of wild barbarians and menial slaves living far to the north. By dusk, the name of al-Mawrâfiyâ al-Kabîr had already begun to be spoken of with honour and respect among both Christian Arabs and Muslim Arabs.

2021_06_25_16a.png

‘Do we draw back, or do we continue pursuit?’ asked Heinrich of his wounded lord.

‘We pursue,’ Bohodar told him. ‘Of course we pursue. We cannot afford any show of weakness.’

They were met, however, by a reserve force even as they began their pursuit. The main bulk of the Ḥimṣis fled south and east along the Euphrates bank before marching uphill away from the river, where the reserve force – commanded by ’Amîr Rasûl al-Kafarṭâbî of Ḥimṣ himself – met them and stymied their chase. Rasûl had no hope of victory against a force still ten times his own size, but he had enough tenacity and tactical aplomb to keep the Moravian forces in check while his marshal got the bulk of his retreating troops out of their reach.

2021_06_25_17a.png

~~~​

Back in the country whose name was growing in renown in the Levant, Kráľ Tomáš fretted for his son and for his son-in-law. He went on his walks, of course, to help keep his weight down—something of a losing battle in itself. But without Maria to come with him—she still being bedridden after the troublesome birth of another son, Chvalimír—he found himself lacking the will for it.

2021_06_25_10a.png

His grandson Prisnec would sometimes accompany him on his walks, but it was different having to watch after a child. One couldn’t really relax when one was out and about with an eight-year-old—particularly one as demanding and as insistent upon his own way as Prisnec was. Occasionally he found someone else to take walks with him in the countryside. A visiting Bavarian nobleman, a Graf several years his junior named Aribo—probably from Salzburg or Tirol, Tomáš forgot which—seemed more willing to oblige him than most.

‘You do have a lovely woods here,’ Aribo remarked to Tomáš. ‘And the hospitality of your court is of course unmatched. I shall have much in your favour to say when I return to the court of my Herzog.’

‘I am gratified, of course,’ Tomáš told him amicably. ‘We do aim to please.’

‘How goes the war in the Holy Land?’ asked Aribo. ‘Have you received any word back from Bohodar?’

‘None yet,’ Tomáš answered. He tried his best to keep a level voice, but he found that there was a trace of worry in it that he couldn’t quite hide. He knew Bohodar was of such a temper that he would wait and judge his moment before engaging—but once his blood was up he would throw all regard for his own safety aside and plunge into the fray with his body before any other. Against a cunning enemy like the Saracens, who could tell what dangers that would place him in? ‘It’s only been several months. I’m sure word will come from that direction.’

Aribo nodded. ‘It can take some while. I’m sure he’s come to no harm, and that he will write to his father soon.’

‘Ignac has always been the better one for letters, dear lad. He never fails to write me every month.’

‘Is that so?’

2021_06_25_7a.png

Tomáš cast a sideways glance at Graf Aribo. The shift in his tone was unmistakeable. The solicitude that Aribo had shown for Bohodar’s health and safety, and his words of comfort at Tomáš’s worry over him, were gone as soon as he’d mentioned Ivan. In just those two words, ‘stimmt daz?’, there was an icy aloofness—even contempt!—that chilled the caring father. Clearly Aribo had no such regard for the younger son—Ivan in life, Ignac in his monastic life—that he did for the elder.

‘That is indeed so,’ Tomáš went on equably. ‘Always one for letters, that one. Took to them nearly as easily as Bohodar did to the sword. I believe he is a bishop in your realm, sir.’

‘He is,’ Aribo said shortly. Again—in his brevity he gave voice to a firm and established dislike.

‘Ignac is… I understand, not the most easy of people to get along with. He’s always been rather timid around people. And yet he has a very firm sense of right and wrong. The Church always seemed a good fit for him; he was always one to say his prayers at night, always one to remember each and every member of the family before God.’

‘H’m,’ Aribo stroked his clean-shaven chin. Tomáš took this as a bit of encouragement to keep speaking of his younger son.

‘Ignac was always quite solicitous of others who needed his help, always very caring… once you got past his initial awkwardness. There was at his monastery, given as an infant oblate, a little boy whose parents hailed from Abyssinia—skin as dark as you please, of course—whom all of the other oblates and novices feared to come near. He was dreadfully lonely, little Ezana Sehul. But Ignac watched out for him, kept the other children from bullying him, guided him, taught him to write in Cyrillic.’

‘Did he so?’ asked Aribo doubtfully. ‘I would have thought him unfit to watch after a stray cat, but… if what you say is true…’

‘I can appeal to his former father superior, Hegumen Pavel. He will bear out the truth of what I say. As would Ezana himself.’

‘It’s only that…’ Aribo considered thoughtfully, ‘It’s only that—and I’ll beg your pardon now, O king, for speaking of my ill impressions of your son—Bishop Ignac always struck me as such a cringing, stammering, lily-pated little hanger-on. It’s hard to imagine him actually sticking up for another. Yet he did this even for a little boy. A foreign boy…’

‘Is it truly so hard to believe?’

Aribo considered a little longer as they walked on in silence. ‘Milord, you did turn down the inheritance of that elderly chap who left all his money to the Church, and asked Metropolitan Horislav to give it instead to the poor. What you have told me of him is not out of character for you, and so I must think that perhaps the apple has not fallen so very far from the tree after all.’

2021_06_25_20a.png
2021_06_25_8a.png

Tomáš was gratified. He was happy to give his good word to his son, who after all had not turned out so badly, even if he still lacked somewhat in the social graces. If it made Bishop Ignac’s job and his relations with his lord and secular peers any easier, Tomáš felt the effort to be well-spent.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
<wearing the headband, cracking the knuckles, readying the keyboard, clicking on the mouse>
<hit the music;
Night Sentinels, by AM 1984, pseudo-retro>

Chapter 22-I
Young and old, men and women, hale and infirm, bowers, monks, honest men, charlatans, craftsmen, traders, soldiers, nobles, even kings came to venerate the wonderworking [sic] relics of the man who had brought the light of Orthodoxy to the Slavic lands.
...and how one supposed to get past the beauty of this sentence and resume reading further without returning back to it over and over and over and over again?
Ah, the lists, the beauty of the lists.
Kudos.

-Incoming transmission-
Tomáš looked; Ricciarda leapt. And yet the two of them seemed to balance out in a strange way.
Perhaps unintentionally, but the use of the word strange to define the relationship in a surprising way actually supports the standpoint of the narrator by placing the perspective to the age of the record is being written. For the reason of indicating that relation as strange, as in the modern age such is nominal and even expected, of which the existence of contrasts but together, whereas in the age the narration takes place, it is plausible that it would be perceived as unusual, due to the biases of romanticism.

Chapter 22-II
And all this death… is in fights between Christians?
…and this flow is then abruptly cut with a curious intrusion of this question by Čestislava Pavelková. It seems to be an anachronism to have the narrative include a notion of unified front in terms of faith, even at that age, but especially at that age, whereas the argument is between the secular rulers and their ambitions. It can be pointed out that the individual parts of the chapter was recorded by different narrators, but of different ages, therefore the historiography changes from one to another. This can be an indication of appropriation of the ruling class and the effective mindset of the ages the record was written.

Excerpt from the series 'On the History-Records of the Rychnovský'. Retrieved from the public archives of Archeo-Library, 18 December 2259, unknown origin, possibly 21. century ce, Earth.

-End of transmission-

So: if your hands are bound, then whose are free?
A damning question that is, which can very well (r)evolve into the awakening of the masses against the noble-filth. But then again, the conversation is between two of the ruling class, and the age is eleventh century of the common era, so it is only an issue of rivalry among those. 3 stars for trying, Ctislava, very good. Carry on.

Chapter 23
‘(...)The Roman Pope formally sent his anathemas to Constantinople five years ago—I was all but sure that Hungary would fall on the Western side of that split, particularly after that diplomatic incident with Tichomír.’
‘And yet they did not.’
Woow. That's a heavy blow for the papacy, right there.

When it ceased altogether, he almost didn’t notice, so softly did his companion in this life depart it.
You were certainly the only dream of the Kráľ, Dolz, forever to live in eternity of his mind, until his last breath. Farewell, can be the only word for the others to say.

Seeing Bohodar now, Eustach felt perhaps he could be at peace with that.
Beautiful.
…No, not going to say any other word.
Kudos.

Chapter 24
It’s been a mix. It was my idea to name our first child Almodis. I wanted our girl to have a strong will and a good spirit, and considering that there’s French blood on both sides of our family it was only natural
The friendly nerdic defender of the fictional lores reports:
Confirming that it would be an extraordinary choice, considering the incredible adventure her namesake had lived, in another story, on another earth, of another time.

Naming our children for the Panagia and for the disciple whom Christ loved was a ten-pace mark to get into his good books.
The report of The friendly nerdic defender of the fictional lores continues:
Confirming the use of Panagia, as the realm of the Rychnovský is abiding the Patriarchate of Konstantinoupolis in the matter of schism, rather than the Bishop of Rome.

When they returned from the hunt, they found that Anna had indeed given birth to a healthy baby girl, and that she had indeed named her as she had wanted.
Chaps, read and take notes; that is how it is done, a masterful writing, by opening the set from the perspective of the background, running through the mainframe, and closing with the end of the premise.
Kudos.

Chapter 25
he was also a natural prevaricator
Now entering the mystic art of word-mancy. Good. Jolly, jolly good.

He simply sat down to rest in the shade after an inspection of Olomouc Castle, and did not arise.
For all your faults and deeds, you were all right lad, you were all right. Return to your dream, to embrace your loved one, to be one with her again. For those who are bound to the real, only the words remain; farewell, Eustach.

How very wrong they were.
1651583207738.gif

<music ends; will return for more soon for the rest>

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
<washing-up the face, stretching the arms, the legs, the neck, positioning the keyboard, moving the mouse>
<hit the music; Midnight Rider, by Theofilos Fazzio, pseudo-retro>

Back to Chapter 22 for a brief note
Berhanu Sehul, a wealthy landowner from Abyssinia, had heard tales from Retta Yostos—a personal friend of the Queen here, so it was rumoured—of the many holy places and the great faith and hospitality of the Moravian people.
By the way, you have to admit that this part of the story is an instant attention-grabber as the words are typed, jumping over far beyond the rest of the view through the window the readAARs are looking.

Chapter 26
Bohodar shook his head with a chuckle. ‘It’s just… isn’t it funny for a Moravian king who has lately been at war with the Emperor to pay a visit to the Imperial City for a blessing from the Emperor’s Patriarch? His All-Holiness Polykarpos isn’t exactly renowned for being a forgiving man.’
No Bohodar the youngest, it is not actually, and the stories are innumerable of such fun times. To give an example – naaah, they are too many, of which mentioning any would butcher the thread abruptly.
Lol. As if what comes next is not doing that.

Apologies; knowing it's not adequate, but at least reduced the space it covers now. Sincere apologies for the disruption.
deleted the irrelevant part.

Chapter 27
Vojvoda Mstivoj of Nether Silesia has issued us an invitation to attend a grand feast in Lehnice.’​
Nice city. And famous.
Whoops. Fortunately it is not 1241. And it is a different universe, different situation, different story.

I would liefer have spent my time in the chapel​
Interesting attempt to use lief from the old english instead of better; very interesting, and sounds charming.
The friendly nerdic defender of the fictional lores has reported.

Chapter 28
‘Among the Armenians, isn’t it considered improper for married women to talk in the company of men?’
Hmmm. For the frankish, or the english, or the roman, or the han, have seen some records about such, but not read nor heard before that it too would be the case for the armenians in the 11. century. Interesting, will check more sources on that.

But this did manage to set a pattern with Tomáš. Beneath his pudgy, docile exterior, there lurked a razor-keen legal mind which knew exactly how to get what he wanted out of his vassals, and also knew exactly where to stop over-committing himself.
Curiously, this sounds highly ominous.

<music ends; will return soon for the rest>

Edit: Hid the irrelevant part. Fun, but really irrelevant. Deleted.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
<wearing the headband, cracking the knuckles, readying the keyboard, clicking on the mouse>
<hit the music;
Night Sentinels, by AM 1984, pseudo-retro>

<washing-up the face, stretching the arms, the legs, the neck, positioning the keyboard, moving the mouse>
<hit the music; Midnight Rider, by Theofilos Fazzio, pseudo-retro>

A man of varied and eclectic tastes; appreciated! With the full understanding that not everyone's tastes will be accommodated by such, if ambient / retro synth-rock is up your alley, might I also recommend Low Magic 1.1?

...and how one supposed to get past the beauty of this sentence and resume reading further without returning back to it over and over and over and over again?
Ah, the lists, the beauty of the lists.
Kudos.

-Incoming transmission-
Perhaps unintentionally, but the use of the word strange to define the relationship in a surprising way actually supports the standpoint of the narrator by placing the perspective to the age of the record is being written. For the reason of indicating that relation as strange, as in the modern age such is nominal and even expected, of which the existence of contrasts but together, whereas in the age the narration takes place, it is plausible that it would be perceived as unusual, due to the biases of romanticism.

Thankew, thankew! *bows*

As for the Tom / Ricki relationship, the two of them just hit it off from the start without becoming (in the game-technical terms prescribed by The Engine) 'friends' or 'lovers'. Opposites did attract in this case: Ricki was diligent and brave; Tom was calm and patient.

But the theory of love in the Middle Ages was, like the theory of medicine, governed by the omnipresent humourism. It would indeed have been seen as a bit 'strange' for a 'choleric' woman like Ricki to get along so well with a 'phlegmatic' man like Tommy here. And I, the author, am left trying to negotiate the various bundle of mismatched sticks consisting of in-game notes, historical sources, historical-fiction references and my own imagination.

A damning question that is, which can very well (r)evolve into the awakening of the masses against the noble-filth. But then again, the conversation is between two of the ruling class, and the age is eleventh century of the common era, so it is only an issue of rivalry among those. 3 stars for trying, Ctislava, very good. Carry on.

Man, oh man. Not going to say anything about what happens to the Rychnovsk‎‎ých in my EU4 game (though I have foreshadowed some of it here), but suffice it to say that some chickens do end up coming home to roost, eventually.

Woow. That's a heavy blow for the papacy, right there.

Hungary is a ludicrously fun place in my Rychnovský game, I will say. A free-for-all battleground between cultures, religions, noble revolts--essentially a great big power vacuum lying in the middle of East Francia, Moravia and the Byzantine Empire. It vacillates between Catholicism, Orthodoxy and various heresies (*cough*) for centuries. That doesn't end up settled until very late in the game, around 1400--and even then it's a humongous mess, with practically every Hungarian emperor getting assassinated or deposed by faction demand within two or three years of taking power.

You were certainly the only dream of the Kráľ, Dolz, forever to live in eternity of his mind, until his last breath. Farewell, can be the only word for the others to say.
For all your faults and deeds, you were all right lad, you were all right. Return to your dream, to embrace your loved one, to be one with her again. For those who are bound to the real, only the words remain; farewell, Eustach.

Dolz getting Bored Daughter-in-Law Syndrome and hitting on Jakub wasn't fun, but once Eustach became king, events-wise everything somehow just ended up going his way between him and Dolz: 'Caught with My Pants Down', 'Hunt: A Moment Alone', 'Spouse: Up to the Task' (multiple times), 'A Comfort', 'The Things We Share'. At least they were happy, even if Eustach did end up having to pay for their unconventional marital bliss in ranks of devotion later.

***​
“Detective.”
“Evening lads.”
“Damn it has been raining all day.”
“It will continue for the month. It is that time of the year, right?”
“Yeah, I guess.”
“What is the situation?”
“Robbery in the next building. Neighbours heard the noise, called in. Patrol unit; let me get my notes – yes, unit from 12 South, made the first check, about – let’s see, yes, three hours ago. They dispersed to canvass the other neighbours. One of them, err… 14C, made a complaint about another noise, not of the robbery, and added it has been going on for months, and no units took care of it. Work for the robbery case finishes, and one of the officers takes the upstairs, finds out some rubbish, and trails to the roof. From there the unit finds the pass to this building. Entire building, all inhabitants, make the same complaint of noise, but from the basement. The second unit arrives.”
“And?”
“They arrive; two officers, and their lieutenant; one of the 9 South; lieutenant orders the unit to check the downstairs. Two go in, then radio silence. Lieutenant follows in, and he finds this. Goes out, and calls for back-up.”

He holds the flashlight towards the walls, filled with notes, papers, excerpts from newspapers, articles, torn-out pages, reports, photographs, maps, sketches, images, and more notes. They cover the entire walls, and the two look at the room from the entrance they stand.

“Excuse me.”
“Apologies, let me step away.”
“Good. The crime-scene. Please, take your time Miriam, we have all the day, right?”
“Fuck off Frank. You still did not fix that dispatcher right? Do you know how the traffic is? I guess you knuckleheads forgot to put one or two of yours on the roads.”

Frank pulls his finger, showing to Miriam as the crime-scene-forensics unit enters the room in their protective suit. Miriam shrugs off with a grin.

“And the lieutenant?”
“Back with the medics. Still in shock. His boys are over there – he is only murmuring ‘why I ordered them to go in’. It’s fucked up, Ray.”

Raymond points the flashlight towards the bodies of the two officers, lying on the ground of the basement-room.

“The manager? We need the blueprints of the building.”
“Yeah, already ahead of you. I got to talk with the handler, the manager, and the maintenance guys. They all act surprised, of course, and add that the room was supposed to be locked. When it was built, this was planned as the storage-room for the boiler equipment. Years pass, they upgrade the boiler, so there was no need to store anything anymore. Locked, forgotten. But Ray – “
“Yes?”
“They act surprised, because the room supposed to be as only such. I mean, such big. Blueprints are also showing only one room. But there are more.”
“Show me.”

They pass through the analysts, carefully avoid hitting the boxes, approach the bench, walk towards one of the walls. Frank puts on his gloves, and pushes the wall. The wall-door opens without any squeak, and the two now look at the corridor that seems to be endless, with passages at both sides, enlightened with the dim lights the units have brought.

“Yeah. I called in entire precinct after I found this. It is about twenty-two rooms, and from the looks of it, it has been constructed long ago. There are thirty-four of us, all rooms are cleared. The corridor leads to nowhere.”
“And they are – “
“Libraries. Full of books and such. I told you, it’s fucked up. One room has a door, heavily reinforced, still closed. We have been waiting for the tech guys.”
“The locksmiths?”
“They told us despite a simple lock, they could not crack it open. Then we forced it. No luck. We called the tech, and they told us to wait. Furious screams those lads have. Yeah, I was frustrated too. And surprised.”
“Guys, we are ready for the preliminary.”

The two return to the basement-room. Miriam takes off her helmet and gloves.

“You are bold, entering like that without the gear. What if it was an airborne agent or – “
“Miriam, I know it is a bit dark, but it is a basement. Not a bio-lab of a lunatic. The whole building would be affected.”
“I would say shut up Frank and eat shit, but that would be a gourmet-lunch for you.”

Frank grins, as Raymond turns off his flashlight with the incoming units bringing additional lamps into the room.

“Please continue.”
“See Frank, that is how grown-ups talk. Anyways. The second victim, shot two times. Gun found on the doorway by the others, fortunately they brought gloves. But no fingerprints. I have to take that to the precinct-lab.”

“Of course we use gloves. We are pros.”

Miriam rolls her eyes.

“The first victim, multiple wounds, with a small sharp object. No wood chips or any other remnants around, so it could be metallic. The blood drops follow out from the main door.”
“What? Blood drops?”
“Fortunately again, Frank, you guys did not step on it. But that’s ok, you could not have seen it. Take the light.”

They follow the trail out of the room illuminated under the ultraviolet light.

“Shit. The perp had the time even to bleach. I have to let the others know. You, you and you – go back inside and tell them to look for cleaning equipment. You and you, come with me – ”

As Frank gives orders, Raymond follows the trail along with Miriam to the main entrance of the building. The trail ends in front of the post-boxes. Frank and two other officers catch them up.

“It ends?”
“You go and inform the outside, but it will not make any difference.”
“What do you mean? I have to start the survey of the immediate buildings. You, go and make the perimeter-search for five-blocks. We need to call in district divisions too – “
“The perpetrator is already gone, Frank. It wants us to stay here, that is why the trail.”

Miriam and Frank frown at Raymond with questioning eyes. Raymond points the ultraviolet light over the post-boxes, slowly scanning, but particularly focusing on the lower end – the building management box is full of mails, and next to it the unused ones, empty, dusted, rusted. One box show the distinct prints of the bleached-bloodstains. He wears his gloves, pulls his pocketknife, crack-opens the locker, checks the inside.

“Does it fit your description?”
“I cannot be sure, but the size seems right, and it is sharp enough.”

Raymond takes the keyring carefully, and walks towards the basement. Miriam follows him, leaving Frank behind.

“Frank, just in case – please get your dispatcher fixed.”

In one of the library-rooms along the hidden-corridor behind the wall-door, Raymond finds the aforementioned locked door. While Miriam stays with her arms folded, three officers are watching them from the entrance of the passage, their hands ready on their guns. Raymond singles out the relatively longer, and blooded, key of the ring, and tries it in the door-lock. It opens. He checks the inside with his flashlight and gun, then turns to the inner wall. He finds the switch, pushes it. As the light turns on, the brightness hits the room and their eyes. He puts his gun back to the holster. With no windows, only a ventilator opening, the room has a simple bed, a small desk next to it, along with an emptied wardrobe. He sees a notebook on the desk. He walks in, looks at the cover. ‘The Notes’. He turns the cover, reads the first page, reads the second page, then turns a random page, then finds another random page. The three officers relieve their hands off the holsters after seeing the room is clear, they wait for the detective. Miriam gets impatient.

“Ray – before you guys contaminate the room, would you mind let me do my job?”
“You are right. I apologise. But tell Frank – “
“Tell what? You three – you have radio right?”
“Yes ma’am, but his is still broken.”
“Damn it Frank.”

Raymond silently reads the last page while the others are arguing. He closes the book, and turns his head to the walls, bed, wardrobe in the small room.

“He has to call in the division.”
“He said he is already going to call the other district divisions.”
“No. The Division."
“Why would we need The Fictional Lore Defenders? Those guys are fanatics – ”

Raymond turns to one of the officers.

“Go now, and tell Frank to call The Division. We found it. This is his lair.”

The officer runs to the basement. The other two look at each other, baffled, walk slowly away. Raymond looks at Miriam. His tired eyes are awakened, and turn grim under the gravity of the situation.

“The Watchdog.”
***​

Dude.

Are you upstaging me on my own AAR?

Because that's what you are doing.

Don't let that stop you, though.

hifive.gif

Nice city. And famous.
Whoops. Fortunately it is not 1241. And it is a different universe, different situation, different story.

:D

Я видел, что ты вон то делал.

sashatsoi_thehorde.gif

Interesting attempt to use lief from the old english instead of better; very interesting, and sounds charming.
The friendly nerdic defender of the fictional lores has reported.

Chapter 28
Hmmm. For the frankish, or the english, or the roman, or the han, have seen some records about such, but not read nor heard before that it too would be the case for the armenians in the 11. century. Interesting, will check more sources on that.

As painful as it is now to read my stilted, forced, adolescent hack prose in Bloodsnake and Battlewolf, it's nonetheless sometimes helpful to have a good stock of Middle- and Old-Englishisms (which I deliberately built up for use in said AAR) to draw upon for flavour.

As to the gender-specific social norms of the Armenians, this is based on something I read (I believe) in A Concise History of the Armenian People. Haven't cross-checked with other sources, but it seems plausible enough.

Curiously, this sounds highly ominous.

Oh, it is. For certain families, anyway.

Thanks again for your patient reading! I've been having some writer's block recently; need to find the motivation to write more. Always good to have appreciative readers!

• 1Love
Reactions:
Looks like Bohodar is making a name for Moravia - and himself - in the levant. No crusade for the Moravians, but chances to defend the righteous faith always exist. As long as the kingdom remains strong, the Byzantines might not need to ask the Pope for help.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Looks like Bohodar is making a name for Moravia - and himself - in the levant. No crusade for the Moravians, but chances to defend the righteous faith always exist. As long as the kingdom remains strong, the Byzantines might not need to ask the Pope for help.

Yup: no great Crusades for the Orthodox, just smaller holy wars. Plenty of those to be had in the coming years...

III.
13 August 1090 – 11 March 1091

bartlett_wallsofantioch02.jpg

‘Amîr Rasûl al-Kafarṭâbî had kept Bohodar from catching up to his armies at once with his costly rearguard action, and the time he had bought the Ḥimṣis saw them take up a position of siege around the city of ‘Anṭâkiya itself: the gem of the Orontes, the city in which the followers of Christ were first called Christians. The old Wall of Justinian, gleaming yellow in the sunlight, rose up long and snakelike over Mount Silpios, punctuated at regular intervals by square watchtowers. Bohodar did not know this, but his ancestor and namesake—the first one, Slovoľubec—had once sat upon the very slope he now gazed upon, looking out to the northwest across oceans and mountains to where Mechthild was. The present Bohodar, though, was focussed on driving the Saracens away from the city.

‘Are you well, milord?’ asked the gentle giant Heinrich.

‘Well enough, brother.’

‘Your wounds have not healed,’ Heinrich told him. ‘If you require some rest before battle…’

Bohodar chuckled. ‘A fine commander I’d make, if I moaned and grumbled over a little scratch like this!’ Yet he still couldn’t keep the grimace entirely from his face. ‘Besides, you dealt with the bastard who gave me this, didn’t you? I won’t let my guard down so easily this time.’

‘See that you don’t,’ Heinrich told Bohodar sternly. ‘Much rides upon your shoulders. We can’t afford to lose you.’

‘A more… ambitious brother-in-law might not be as solicitous of my health and wholeness as you are,’ Bohodar noted. ‘I’m glad to have you on my side.’

2021_06_25_19a.png
2021_06_25_19b.png

There was no way to tell what Rasûl might be thinking at this juncture, but it was doubtful that the Ḥimṣis were overly sure of their victory. They behaved far more cautiously than they had at either aṣ-Ṣiffîn or ar-Riṣâfa. As well they might, considering they were outnumbered two-to-one! Still, they fought with commendable tenacity, and although the Moravians railed and cursed at their enemy in the heat of the battle, still Bohodar couldn’t help but admire the Ḥimṣis’ courage.

One of their fursân strayed too far with his detachment off the left flank on the slopes of Silpius; he was caught by the Nitrans, and forced to do personal battle with Knieža Zvonimír 2. of those lands. Muḥammad took several sharp blows from Zvonimír, but he was able to retreat and return with most of his men back to the Ḥimṣi line.

2021_06_25_20b.png

Another of the fursân was not so lucky. He was unhorsed and pinned to the ground beneath several Moravian spears, then led captive back through the Moravian lines, even as the Ḥimṣis were beginning to scatter, abandoning their siege positions and equipment and yielding the field to Bohodar. After the battle outside the southern gate of ‘Anṭâkiya, Bohodar returned to examine his prisoner.

‘Who are you?’

The fâris did not speak.

Heinrich stepped forward menacingly, grabbing the man by the beard and throwing him to the ground. ‘When the son of the Moravian king asks you, swînhunt, you answer!’

Bohodar held up a hand, and Heinrich forebore from further action, allowing the man to get to his feet.

‘My name is Hûšyâr. I will say no more than that.’

Heinrich spat. ‘Not a Ḥimṣi. Another hireling.’

2021_06_25_22a.png

Bohodar examined the man. Hale and muscular of build. Two full rows of teeth. Clear skin – no pox or lesions. No calluses on his hands, either. If he was a hireling he was certainly a well-to-do one.

‘Keep him. Someone will pay his worth, sooner or later.’

The Moravian Army gave pursuit, following their foes all the way back to Ḥimṣ, where they wasted no time unsheathing their swords and running down the Sunnî Ḥimṣis upon the points of their lances. It ran against the grain for Bohodar to wage this kind of swift, brutal warfare: he was much more one for patient calculation, waiting out the enemy, finding the opportune moment to strike. But he knew from the Byzantines and from the Syrians he’d spoken with, that the Arabs were more likely to respect bold, decisive actions. Tactically, this was the better option.

2021_06_25_22b.png

And—Bohodar crossed himself at the thought—he imagined he would have a better case before the dread judgement seat at the Last Day if he brought the war to a quick conclusion rather than risking the lives of thousands, if not tens of thousands, of Syrians both Christian and Muslim, in a long, drawn-out war of attrition. Better the swift cruelty of crushing and slaughtering a demoralised army on the retreat, than the longer cruelty of cat-and-mouse games, leaving them to regroup and attack somewhere else. The Sunnîs were thus trapped against the walls of Ḥimṣ on the side facing Baḥayrat al-Qaṭṭînah, and ground to death in a brutal mêlée. Bohodar hoped the message would sound loud and clear, and that the town of Ḥimṣ would surrender quickly.

In fact, though, the Moravian siege-engines made a wide crack in the town’s defences sooner than expected, and though it went against his better judgement, Bohodar ordered belfries and ladders to be prepared, so that they could send men into the breach and take town and citadel the quicker.

The battle was messy and costly. The bodies piled in the breach—Moravian and Ḥimṣi both. Still Bohodar pressed his advantage. Heinrich was already in the breach himself, his long-sword flashing in broad strokes around his giant body, sending the town’s defenders sprawling headlong back along the wall, or over the ramparts hurtling fatally to the ground below. The Moravian reinforcements rushed to fill the void, and pressed in both directions along the wall, causing the wave of human wreckage, broken shields and clattering weapons to disperse outward from the breach. Bohodar didn’t need his commander’s experience to know that the town was as good as theirs. The defenders were already retreating to the citadel, and that would be in Moravian hands before long.

2021_06_25_23a.png

Once the Moravian banner was flying from the top of the citadel, Bohodar and Heinrich surveyed their gains and losses. About five hundred Moravians and allied Greeks and Syrians had been lost in the assault. And town and citadel had been taken in only two months—an acceptable delay to their march, given the stature of the prize. Moreover, ‘Amîr Rasûl’s granddaughter Nâẓira had been captured when the Moravian Army had taken the citadel. With her in hand, the war could be ended that much quicker.

2021_06_25_25a.png

‘Where are you going, milord?’ asked Heinrich of Bohodar.

‘I had heard,’ Bohodar answered him, ‘that there was a holy shrine dedicated to a great Christian saint and martyr, Julian the Unmercenary, inside the town walls. It is visited by both Christians and Muslims, who alike consider him a holy man.’

‘And you are going to visit this shrine?’ asked Heinrich. ‘Permit me to go with you, if milord pleases.’

‘It should be safe enough,’ Bohodar told him. ‘But… very well, if you wish.’

Bohodar and Heinrich set out together for the shrine of Saint Julian – the Dayr Mâr ‘Ilyân – in the al-Waršah neighbourhood of the Old City, an easy walk northeast from the Citadel. They passed through the sandy streets and the tall, sturdily-built stone houses of a similar light-dusty colour. Amid the crowds in turbans and robes the two Moravian knights looked even more out of place than they would, and that was saying something considering Heinrich’s abnormal height and reach. For the most part, the Ḥimṣis were coolly tolerant of these foreigners. Even though they had felled many of the garrison in taking the town, those they had captured alive they had allowed to return home to their families or held safe as hostages, rather than killing them outright. And they had spared the noncombatants of the town even from looting, for which many of them breathed a sigh of relief.

008247A3.jpg

Soon they were in front of the ancient shrine, a modest edifice of similar work in stone, which might not even be recognised as a Christian holy site were it not for a small but ornate square cross on one of the posts inside the courtyard. In this rainy season, there was lush greenery in the yard, as well as a number of what were clearly grave-markers in one corner. The two Moravian soldiers turned to their left, and walked up the path to the shrine on the eastern end of the yard.

Going into the chapel, the two of them did off their mail hoods respectfully, and took off their gloves and their boots at the door. They went inside and knelt before the relics of Saint Julian: giving thanks for victory, asking Julian’s forgiveness of their trespass inside his city (for Julian was a Ḥimṣi himself, and had been lifelong), and even saying a prayer for the enemies they had fought and killed in battle. Something about being in the presence of an Unmercenary like Saint Julian brought over them a spirit of humility and peace even in the midst of war, such that they were able to pray for the Saracens and the ‘Amîr they were still fighting against.

reliquary_stjulian.jpg

The evidence of Julian’s holiness was such that even Muslims came to pray at the foot of his relics. The jurists of the Shî‘a with their habitual liberality, and the Sûfîs with their wonted mystical eclecticism, had no trouble at all with this. But even the open-minded and less-fanatical scholars among the more numerous Sunnîs were wont to say that: since Julian had been martyred by the wicked kuffâr in the time before the Prophet, for testifying to the undivided truth of All-Merciful Allâh, then venerating him was ḥalâl. Not that such legal niceties were of much concern to the local townsfolk, or even to the outlying Bedouins and fallaḥîn who out of a strong sense of folk piety brought offerings of yearling lambs and calves before this ancient šahîd, in exchange for healing, blessings or peace of mind.

The Moravian Army did not stay long in Ḥimṣ, however. On Bohodar’s orders they marched northward as soon as their own garrison was secure, in order to (hopefully) capture the ‘Amîr and force him to a settlement. Unfortunately…

‘Bohodar aṣ-Ṣâb!’ cried the Syrian messenger.

‘What news?’ asked the king’s son.

‘The Black Standard has been seen flying from the armies laying siege to Tall ‘Ifrîn.’

Bohodar groaned audibly. ‘The Caliph. How many?’

‘One thousand.’

‘That’s barely an advance force,’ Bohodar considered. ‘Thank you for your swift warning, sir. If we move quickly we may yet be able to discourage him.’

‘A swift ride to you, Bohodar,’ bowed the Syrian.

This was ill news indeed. The most powerful of the Muslim rulers, the Caliph, had joined the war against the Eastern Empire. Clearly the ‘Amîr meant to take Ḥalab at any cost, and tens—maybe hundreds—of thousands more would follow that one thousand already perched by Tall ‘Ifrîn. Bohodar doubled the pace of the march, though he knew it would be costly to the energy and preparedness of his men.

2021_06_25_26ش.png

The Moravians arrived at Tall ‘Ifrîn before the ‘Amîr could join the Caliph’s forces, and they swept into the field with a rage upon seeing the Black Standard lifted in the lands of the Emperor. Led by Bohodar and Heinrich, the Moravian knights dashed at full tilt across the field at the Caliph’s men, and rode them down with speed and might. And they did not stop there. After driving them from the walls of Tall ‘Ifrîn, the Moravians chased the Caliph’s forces to the ancient fortress of Pagrai, where they met the ‘Amîr Rasûl again in battle.

This time, Rasûl al-Kafarṭâbî had nowhere to flee to. Ḥimṣ was under Moravian control, and his depleted, demoralised forces were caught deep within the marches of the Eastern Empire’s sway. The battle was short and decisive; Rasûl himself was called to a parley shortly thereafter wherein he agreed—after his granddaughter was released to him—to relinquish his claims upon Ḥalab, and to pay nearly 300 nomismata in fine gold to the Emperor Ioannēs in reparations. Bohodar, weary to the bones, inclined his head, closed his eyes, and gave thanks to Saint Julian for his intercessions with God in ending the bloodshed.

2021_06_25_28a.png

2021_06_25_29a.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Dude.
Are you upstaging me on my own AAR?
Because that's what you are doing.
Sch**ße.
Did it again. Sigh.
Yeah, took the notes while reading and made the comments in giant-pile deep into the last night, then came back to post it; but did not realise getting carried away. Should have double-checked it how much disruptive it would actually be.

Apologies for that; it will be edited behind the spoiler-set now. deleted now.

For the high-five-gif from Warehouse 13: Splendid.

But along with Allison Scagliotti, using Saul Rubinek; double the praise.

1651786533546.png

A man of varied and eclectic tastes; appreciated! With the full understanding that not everyone's tastes will be accommodated by such, if ambient / retro synth-rock is up your alley, might I also recommend Low Magic 1.1?
Hmm, Low Magic, interesting, and beautiful cover-art for the demo; Get Me Escape sounds charming. Will check the demo fully out.
Well, the death-, symphonic-, and black-metal always, constantly, forever scream in the mind; but while growing up learned a lesson: The many genres of the music is a pathway to infinite delicacies some consider to be unnatural.

in A Concise History of the Armenian People.
Interesting; will check it out; cheers for the source!

Edit: Further corrections.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 29
He picked from his desk a tome he had been long been desiring to read: the Ti Ectin Doctus of Saint Denis. An acquisition from another of the pilgrims that had come east along the Jerusalem Road, the Greek grammatical text had clearly been lovingly-bound and cared for, and Tomáš couldn’t help but lavish the same appreciation upon the work.
Pheeew.

(…) during the ninth-tenth centuries (…) a first experiment of a Greek elementary grammar outside the Byzantine tradition.Donati Graeci, Learning Greek in the Renaissance, Federico Ciccolelia, 2008
The friendly nerdic defender of the fictional lores has reported, and adding: Kudos.

In addition to having a pretty (if ordinarily fairly sullen) face, Tomáš soon discovered that Hélène also had a very true voice, and she sang with such sweetness and grace that Tomáš was once again stunned into rapt silence.
Careful lad; Ricciarda is not someone you want to cross.

‘And what should I have to apologise for?’ he muttered to himself. ‘It wasn’t like I asked Hélène to get down on her knees and sing for me. She did that herself! Surely Ricciarda could have seen that! And what answer did I give her? None to encourage! Surely she could have seen that!’
Hold on a moment. Hmmm. Naah, too early to jump into assumptions to have a forecast.

Chapter 29-II
‘Goodbye, my daughter,’ Siegel kissed the little girl farewell. ‘May the Lord protect you. Your father and mother will never forget you.’
The number of times closing eyes with each abhorrent word uttered by the character Anna up to this point had slipped from the mind. Acceptance of the child by her gave a faint relief, while rubbing the forehead considering the tragedy of Siegel. Then these words of him hit, and it broke the nerves, and it was necessary to get up and take a brief pause.

‘Ignac, my beloved son, we have recently received an oblation of a most unusual sort, and I wished to ask your advice as a fellow-oblate. Are Berhanu Sehul and his wife Lulit known to you?’
Fortunately the story continues on with the return of instant-fan-favourites.

Alitz Mihajlian had given birth to another son, named Prisnec. (Prisnec’s ancestor was surely turning in his grave. If only she could have known what headaches Slovoľubec had suffered on account of another Prisnec of his acquaintance…)
Prisnec Přerovský, you bastard!:D

Chapter 29-III
Among them he recognised: thyme, nettles, mint, the unmistakeable reek of spring elder, linden, foxglove, sweet balm, fennel, chicory, buckthorn and rose-hips. Along the walls were arrayed various healing implements as well: tongs, cauter, pins, splints and twine, bandages, surgical knives and saws.
1651789392007.gif

And it was true—Anna’s young Jewish fosterling was a truly enchanting creature, as fit and strong of body as children several years her elder and as cute as a button, though she was full of questions and insistence upon knowing the why and the how of anything given.
Smart, that one is. Though it may require a couple of hundreds of years and scientific revolution to be able to employ the full might of the latter of the two. 10/10 points Viera, and here is your diploma – hey, for eleventh century, having questions is huge.

Chapter 29-IV
Boleslav! It’s such good fun visiting all of these towns and halls in my kingdom which I might never otherwise see!
The lad leaves no chance behind for any feast. Have to reconsider prior guesses. Hmmm.

Chapter 30
‘This is true,’ Tomáš nodded.
Woow. That is truly called a sharp-turn-of-events.

Incoming Alert: WARNING – WARNING – missing threadmark for Chapter 30

Chapter 30-II
(...) and sent them on their way into the interior.
Incoming Alert: WARNING – missing image after text – only metaname available

The blow from the Ḥimṣi lance caught Bohodar full in the chestplate, and might well have impaled him had the angle not been slightly off.
No – NOT AGAIN!

Bohodar was safe.
Pheeww. Nodding with respect the faris, Šâhruḵ.

It’s hard to imagine him actually sticking up for another. Yet he did this even for a little boy. A foreign boy…
Yeah, Aribo; apparently you and Anna could use some help from that cringing, stammering, lily-patted little hanger-on, such as for learning to be a human being.

<taking off the headband, stretching the hands, dusting off the keyboard, releasing the mouse, murmuring pheww>
<hit the music; Stationary Traveller, by Camel, 1984>

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Incoming Alert: WARNING – WARNING – missing threadmark for Chapter 30

Chapter 30-II
Incoming Alert: WARNING – missing image after text – only metaname available

Thanks for the heads-up - I have fixed these technical errors! (Somewhat embarrassing to be missing threadmarks even at this late date...)

Will reply in-depth to more substantive comments at later time.

• 1Like
Reactions: