• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you very much for response #240 in explaining B n B relationship. Since I almost ruined a game trait hunting, I just accept top name on list. The game often knows what you need better than you do. My worst was inheriting a character who was married to his stepdaughter (actually closer in age than her mother).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Book Three Chapter Ten
The Reign of Eustach Rychnovský, Kráľ of Veľká Morava
2021_06_18_72a.png

TEN
Favours Far and Near
1 December 1025 – 20 March 1029

2021_06_18_73b.png

Jo t’atent, Eustace…’

Dolz was wearing nothing but her updo and a naughty come-hither pout. The alabaster-fair, plump, round cushions of her derrière, naked as the day she was born, thrust themselves out contrapposto, with one hand resting languidly on the weight-bearing hip. Her lips parted and her tongue circled them with devilish intent, while her blue eyes remained fixed upon him over her well-formed, sloping shoulder. With her other hand she gathered up as much of one breast as she could, and began slowly stimulating herself in anticipation of the plunge. And then, as she sensed her husband approaching her, she stretched her arms and bent forward just so much, inviting him… Now he could just see her—

Kráľ!’

The newly-minted king snapped sharply out of his lascivious reverie, summoned by the annoyed voice of his finder and gatherer of secrets—as he had been for his father—Knieža Nitrabor. The one-eyed man drummed his fingers on the side of his arm as he looked over the young king.

‘As I was saying,’ Nitrabor told the king, ‘the support that I have lent you in your father’s dotage rather demands some consideration on your part. Now, I am the one who keeps bearing the brunt, not only of this court’s goings-on under the rose, so to speak, but also the greed of the heathen to the north. I think it would be only reasonable that I should get to keep some of my own men stationed on my own land in reserve. Don’t you?’

Eustach sighed. Indeed, Nitrabor was not putting a fine point on it, but he did owe the knieža of Upper Silesia on several counts. Easing the demands on his levy contributions really was a reasonable demand, all things considered. ‘Very well. I think some rebalancing of the duties for the northern defence are in order; give me your requirements and we shall see if they can be met.’

2021_06_18_74a.png

‘Sire,’ Nitrabor gave an exaggerated bow that came close to—but didn’t quite go over the edge into—mockery. Then he turned on his heel and left.

Eustach sat back with a sigh. His groin was still rock-hard from thinking about Dolz, and he was aching to forget his duties for the rest of the day, return to his chambers and give his wife a long, hard ride. These first few months of his rule, when his most serious business needed attending to, his thoughts couldn’t help but drift to a certain French blonde with a voluptuous figure and (wishful thinking on his part) a voracious libido, in various prone positions, ready to receive copious doses of his love in whichever of her orifices he pleased.

This can’t go on.

Eustach stormed out of his study, still at a loss about what should be done about it. He considered running a few laps around the castle as a possible remedy, and then briefly toyed with the thought of going to one of the synagogues in town and seeing if one of the rabbis there might have any advice for him. But both of these options, he set aside in favour of provoking Dolz’s desire for him, however straining it might be on him in the meanwhile.

2021_06_18_73a.png

Conversing with Dolz was still something of a chore, and he wasn’t certain he knew even half—nay, a quarter—of what was on her mind. Eustach was startled to realise he truly didn’t know much at all about his wife’s interests or tastes, beyond her admirable devotion to prayer and to the healing arts. But that was work. Eustach ached to approach her for wanton lust, steamy frolics, spirited bed-sports. Taking the path through her work, probably wouldn’t get him where he wanted.

But then he remembered the Ethiopian woman who had visited ten years ago, on Dolz’s invitation: Retta Yostos. Did she still correspond with her? Were they still on good terms, and close? Eustach was now king: with the resources he now had, he shouldn’t have much difficulty finding out.

Eustach waited until his wife fell asleep that night before creeping silently over to her desk with a lit candle-end, and peering carefully over her papers. Sure enough—there were letters aplenty among them, bearing Retta’s name. Given the length of each of them, it was clear to him (even in his indifferent French) that the two of them were deep in each other’s confidence.

His next task was a trifle more difficult.

2021_06_18_75a.png

He began penning a letter to Retta Yostos himself. He opened with a sincere prayer for her health of body and spirit and for her struggle to be saved, and then voiced the desire to be better acquainted with her, given how highly his wife thought of her. He finally promised Retta that, if it was within his power to grant it, he would gladly grant her a boon of her choosing. He then sent it out the following day, using the same courier that Dolz trusted to deliver her correspondence. And then he waited.

Retta’s reply came just as the Lenten Triodion was opened.

In the name of Igziabeher, the Almighty Lord of Nations, and in the lightness of the Spring of Lent, the humble Retta Yostos greets your Majesty, the Northern Bastion of the Realms of Jah, and offers heartfelt prayers for every blessing upon you.

It touched my heart deeply, that the husband of my good friend was so kind as to inquire after me. And the amiable way in which you desired to be better acquainted with me—God forgive me the vainglory!—was a blessing truly unlooked-for on my part. Dolz writes very highly of you, and has confided in me of your devotion to Almighty God, and of your prowess upon the battlefield. But your generosity was something I had not thought to witness, and in so personal a fashion!

You asked if there was any favour I might ask, that would reside within your power to fulfil. It had been my wish since my visit to your lands, to hold and cherish in my hands even a small particle of the relics of Saint Methodius, the Equal-to-the-Apostles who spread the Gospel among your people. I know how bold a request this must seem. The more so you should hold it, not to be an idle fancy, but instead the earnest desiring of a sinful heart to touch one who touches heaven.

Praying earnestly that Igziabeher keep and protect your Majesty for many illustrious and peaceful years, I am

Retta Yostos

~~~​

At once upon the receipt of this letter, Eustach sent to Velehrad for both a particle of the relics of the holy saint, and also for an iconographer to write an icon of Saint Methodius, within which the particle could be enclosed, and shown through a small, metal-lined, sealed circular window in the corner. Eustach commissioned this icon largely by pulling in favours from the town craftsmen for whom he’d negotiated a better price for their town wall, but the end result was more than satisfactory. The iconographer knew her work and did it well.

He sent this costly gift back to Retta with a friendly letter enclosed, and then waited patiently. Several weeks later, Dolz came to Eustach in the king’s study. She was carrying an unsealed letter in her hand.

‘Eustach,’ Dolz beamed at him, ‘my friend Retta tells me you sent her an icon of Saint Methodius, together with a part of his relics. And, she says, you did this for her upon her request?’

‘I did indeed,’ Eustach told his wife.

Dolz’s smile deepened. ‘I think that she will treasure that icon for the rest of her life, and pass it on to her children. Powait-estre, que jo pens, the cult of Saint Methodius shall gain a… devoted following in the Ethiopian lands. Grace à toé.’

2021_06_18_76a.png

‘Well, she is a friend of yours, Dolz,’ her husband returned. ‘There’s no doubt in my mind she’s worthy.’

Dolz went to her husband and wordlessly clasped his hands in hers, holding them a second or two longer than she normally would have done. Eustach searched her face, but apart from the lingering touch there was no indication that, at present, she felt anything more than gratitude and friendship toward him. Ah well. That would change. At the moment, there were other matters to attend to.

~~~​

‘My liege, this entire arrangement is an outrage!’ Prohor Mutimírić shouted at him. ‘When my father came into possession of the White Croat lands, it was with the understanding that our traditional rights and privileges would be upheld! And yet not only did Jakub squeeze the good people of my land far more than was ever their due, but even you now try to wring the last mite of silver from their backs with these duties! Ease their burden and mine, or face the consequences.’

It was a mark of the particular favour that the Bijelahrvatskići had enjoyed at the court in Olomouc that Prohor (who had from his childhood been used to getting his way) was not prepared for Eustach’s response at all.

2021_06_18_78a.png

The young king folded his arms. ‘Absolutely not.’

Prohor went beet-red. ‘What—?!

‘You forget your place, sir,’ Eustach pressed. ‘By the grace of God Almighty, and by the chrism bestowed by the Holy Spirit upon me, I am your liege, and you are my vassal. Never forget that my forebears patronised your family because they took pity upon your homeless state – and show some gratitude and grace in the acknowledgement.’

‘I see how I must act,’ Prohor muttered darkly as he left the office. ‘But rest assured, I am not alone among your vassals in opposing your overreach.’

He spoke truly enough. In the end, it wasn’t only Knieža Prohor Mutimírić, but also the Hrabata Markvart and Soběslav Přemyslovec, Neuša Pražský, and—this turn particularly stung Eustach—Vratko Aqhazar, who rose in revolt. Indeed, the fact that such recipients of Rychnovský noblesse oblige as the Bijelahrvatskići and the Aqhazarlar had turned against him was the cause of a minor crisis of conscience on the new king’s part. How could Vratko, of all people, have betrayed him? Was he indeed overreaching himself, to have caused such a turn? Were the laws that he had grown up under, that his father had put in place, in fact too harsh?

2021_06_18_79a.png

But before Eustach could respond, there was one matter above all others that had to be dealt with. The silver in his coffers was nowhere near enough to mount a successful answer to this challenge to his rule. Eustach therefore turned to the readiest source of income he could think of: the hostages that his father had taken in his various campaigns.

The first thing he agreed to do was to release his adulterous kinswoman, the diminutive hrabina Anna Rychnovská, who had borne her child out of wedlock under lock and key in the castle. She paid a lump sum equal to three pounds of silver for her release. Eustach also released one of his father’s Greek prisoners from the campaign for Nikaia, Nikaretē Maurikios, in exchange for eleven pounds of silver.

That was respectable, but still not sufficient. His final course was to ask for money from the Œcumenical Patriarch himself. His All-Holiness, the elderly Apollonios, would certainly not be happy to shell out good money to a new king so soon after his coronation, but Eustach was banking on the notion that Constantinople placed too high a value on Moravia’s defence of the Faith to ignore such a request. Indeed, in a rather brusque letter to the new Kráľ, the Patriarch sent his greetings and well-wishes, and enclosed a good two hundred twenty-nine nomismata.

2021_06_18_78b.png
2021_06_18_77a.png
2021_06_18_97a.png
2021_06_18_98a.png

With this amount, Eustach could afford to send for a troop of hired blades. One such troop directly answered his summons: the Wolna Drużyna Lesu. A band of riders who hailed from the woodlands on the south bank of the Vistula, the Wolna Drużyna were led by a practised riverman and a master of the charge, Captain Milan. Milan had ridden with his men to the mustering-grounds at Volovec, and came up to the young King in the midst of the camp and crossed his arms.

‘The situation must be dire, if the Kráľ of Moravia is asking a Pole for help,’ he remarked.

Eustach brought out a chest and held it up for Milan to see. He shook it, letting him know the weight and nature of the contents, and then handed it to the captain for his inspection.

‘Dire indeed,’ Eustach remarked.

‘I see,’ Milan noted, picking up one golden nomisma and twirling it in his fingers. ‘I have four hundred good men of the woods, along with three hundred riders. Is that sufficient for you?’

Eustach bobbed his head noncommittally. ‘I am actually more intrigued to see how you, personally, Milan, will perform as commander. Sadly my own maršal has turned against me at this tide.’

‘And we will be fighting… in the mountains?’ asked Milan.

‘Most like.’

‘An interesting challenge,’ Milan stroked his pale beard. ‘Not my usual stomping-ground. With this sum and a contract in hand, I shall strive to provide results that are to your Majesty’s liking.’

2021_06_18_80a.png

‘Remember,’ Eustach warned him, ‘I do not want my vassals killed. Not Aqhazar. Not even Bijelahrvatskić. I just want this revolt stopped.’

Milan smiled cruelly. ‘The better to toy with them once they’re in your claws, eh? I understand you.’

Eustach felt in his breast a sudden, acerbic pang of revulsion and detestation for Milan. You really don’t, he had to forbear from snapping in rejoinder. But he needed to keep on Milan’s good side, at least until all of this was over. Eustace raised a gauntleted fist and snapped for the groom to bring his horse. He mounted alongside Milan, flail in hand.

We ride.

~~~​

Eustach and Milan led the Moravian troops through the Carpathian foothills into the villages of Košice. The first true test of Milan’s capabilities as a commander would be in how he met Vratko Aqhazar and the forces from Sadec here.

As the Polish captain had predicted, the terrain was not to the best advantage of his konnica. But he kept his riders in reserve and focussed on manœuvring the lightly-armed footmen and zbrojnošov against Aqhazar. The technique worked, and worked quite well. Eustach, as he watched from the reserve with the rest of the riders, approved the sapping of his one-time maršal’s patience as he struggled to overcome Milan’s careful deployments. The end result was, as Milan promised, to his Majesty’s liking.

2021_06_18_81a.png

The Moravian army kept marching westward, across the lands of the Bijelahrvatskići. Eventually they came to a small village in the Slovenské Rudohorie, upon the outskirts of which the White Croats under Prohor Mutimírić were lying in wait.

Prohor knew these foothills like the back of his hand by now, and he had both patience and the element of surprise on his side. There was neither time nor space for the two sides to form up for a pitched battle. Instead, a number of disorganised scuffles broke out across the field. Horns and drums began to go up in order to organise the two sides, and flags for both commanders went up to rally around.

But as eddies and whirls of form began to appear amid the general uproar of cutting and scraping, skewering and struggling, chasing and dodging, sweating and grunting and bleeding, it became clear, as the footmen and archers emerged from the stone-strewn background, that both sides had roughly even numbers and deployments of armigers. Horseman matched horseman; spear-bearer matched spear-bearer; zbrojnoš matched zbrojnoš; volley line matched volley line (however broken). Even the common enlistments seemed evenly matched. But Milan had an ace up his sleeve – or rather, nine. The banners began to separate on the Moravian king’s side into three, and bands of three knights each rallied around each one. These sallied out and away amid the dodgy outcrop, and soon what had begun as a general mêlée had turned into a many-vectored chase amid and around the rocks. Prohor, for all his carefully-laid plans, was forced to beat a hasty retreat back whence he came. So too did his relief force, which the Moravians met, and routed, on the bank of the Rimava River.

2021_06_18_84a.png
2021_06_18_87a.png

Milan followed up his promise to Eustach with victories in the Bohemian lands, especially at Litomeřice. But Eustach found Milan’s general disregard for the civilised niceties of war—as well as his heathen beliefs—distasteful. In the end, Eustach managed to find a way to manœuvre himself around this hired captain he’d been forced to use to his ends.

Eustach himself went out into the rebel camp near Hradec, under a white banner.

‘What the devil is he doing?’ asked the Czech watchman.

‘I think he wants to talk,’ Markvart Přemyslovec marvelled.

‘And the king has brought no one with him? Does he trust us to not simply capture him and hold him for ransom?’ asked the watchman. ‘Is he mad, or merely a fool?’

Markvart gave his watchman a sour eye. Although he had little reason to love the king, he was impressed with this show of bravery on Eustach’s part. ‘Bring him to me. Unbound, do you understand? He wants to talk? Let’s hear out what he has to say.’

And so it was that the king was brought, alone, before his rebellious vassal. The light-bearded man crossed his arms and regarded his young, green sovereign with wary distrust—as well as the beginnings of a newfound respect. Any man brave enough to come into the enemy camp under a flag of truce, alone, was worth at least a hearing.

‘Well? You came here to parley. What is it you wish to say?’

‘I’m here to make you an offer,’ Eustach told Markvart levelly. ‘By now you must know, that with Bijelahrvatskić and Aqhazar beaten and on the run, you have little chance of winning by force of arms.’

‘Do you say so?’ Markvart sneered. ‘If that is so, then why are you here, and not I there?’

‘Because I believe you to be a rational man,’ Eustach cajoled. ‘Come. You know as well as any man that I must uphold my father’s laws, and my grandfather’s, and my great-grandfather’s. Rescinding them outright, of course, is out of the question. It would spit upon everything my fathers have done. But… rules are made to be bent. I think you’ll agree.’

Markvart nodded. ‘Go on…’

‘Suppose, if you will,’ Eustach told him, ‘you rescinded your support for our noble rebels. Today, let’s say. I could see to it that your own taxes are reduced, nominally, to what they were in Radomír’s time. With no prospect of them being raised again in my lifetime.’

Markvart crossed his arms, considering. ‘That’s quite a generous offer.’

‘I can be quite a generous ruler,’ Eustach told him. ‘And I hold loyalty dearer than coin.’

2021_06_18_100a.png

Markvart sat for a long while, blowing out a long breath and looking skyward. ‘Nominal amount—from Radomír’s time. You’d better not be bluffing me.’

Eustach merely spread his hands. The message was clear. Was he likely to bluff, having come to the enemy camp, alone, under a white flag? The proud Přemyslovec took the point. He heaved a sigh.

‘Very well, O Kráľ. I shall formally abjure this rebellion in the presence of all my retainers here, and send them home. You just remember your own promise.’

‘I do not forget,’ Eustach told him.

With that agreement, the war was all over but the crying. And it had been accomplished, not by brute force of arms or display of terror, but by cutting a deal with one disaffected noble in order to throw the rest of the alliance into disarray.

2021_06_18_104a.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you very much for response #240 in explaining B n B relationship. Since I almost ruined a game trait hunting, I just accept top name on list. The game often knows what you need better than you do. My worst was inheriting a character who was married to his stepdaughter (actually closer in age than her mother).

Yeah, this is one of those games where I kind of had to learn several things the hard way! It got so I got fairly good at the battle mechanics and military strategy-based parts of the game, but - as you know - military strategy is only one very small part of CK3's world.

There seems to be a repetition of events by CK, but you are giving a fresh spin each time. I notice that sometimes you take given name for babies and sometimes not. Thank you for this wonderful work

Much as I admire Elim Garak and his taste, I confess I haven't the talent for the most elegant form of Cardassian literature. Despite this being a story which chronicles many more than seven generations of a single family, in which most of my characters lead lives of selfless duty to the state, grow old and die, so the next generation comes along and does it all again, I hope I'm not, at least, telling the same story over and over again. But then, clearly I am a prisoner of Federation dogma and human prejudice.

Farewell Bohodar, only a year without his precious bride. The Queen should not have practiced grave robbing as they will be those to spoil her repose in this life and the next. Thank you for your work.

Thank you for reading, sir! And I appreciate the comments!

Yes, Bohodar and Mechthild got along quite a bit better than I expected, and certainly better than quite a few of their descendants and their respective spouses. Probably due to both having the 'Just' trait.

Reactions:
Through #93, Blaz and Bos seem like a second coming of her parents in temperaments and love for each other. Wars will get harder without the queen's capture in the first battle ending the war. Thank you for the update

• 1Like
Reactions:
72 years, for a man whose parents worried that each breath may be a little boy's last, is a great feat. Radomír has very, very large shoes to fill. Being 49, Radomír's pale rider is sitting on a near hill and not one on the distant horizon.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am going to try to partially defend Radomír. The killing of the child was outright murder; the war had been won and children are innocents (in my games, I try to stop plots against children). While flaying alive may be a bit extreme, if the killing brought the Poles to the bargaining table and shorten the war saving Moravian lives (they attacked you, who cares about their lives), then the end justifies the means. While some talk of mysterious justice and trying to equate the punishment to the crime, I am more concerned about prevention. A ruler must sometimes overreact, especially early in their reign, to send a message not only to the one who committed the action but to anyone else who considers the action. For rebels, the punishment should greatly exceed that of foreign warriors. I would not only seize titles and lands, but geld (I may have played one too many games in the Empire) their dynasty and bring their children to my capital for schooling. If they rebel again, their children will die early. War is evil whether in modern or medEvil times. It sometimes takes a hard man to preserve the peace. A defensive Radomír may be better than offensive warrior father. Thank you for your writing and research that takes us to a culture and time that we can only imagine.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Through #93, Blaz and Bos seem like a second coming of her parents in temperaments and love for each other. Wars will get harder without the queen's capture in the first battle ending the war. Thank you for the update

Another pair that seemed to just hit it off straight down the baseline - despite, you know, the genetic dangers of lacking heterozygosity and the boundaries of the common morality of the time. As @filcat would say, 'genius' only in the ironic sense.

72 years, for a man whose parents worried that each breath may be a little boy's last, is a great feat. Radomír has very, very large shoes to fill. Being 49, Radomír's pale rider is sitting on a near hill and not one on the distant horizon.

Oh yes. Pravoslav was a fighter. I kind of modelled the between-the-gaps story of his upbringing on Teddy Roosevelt's (who was also asthmatic as a child, also had a love of the outdoors, also had a pugnacious attitude and belligerent foreign policy, and also survived a number of events he simply shouldn't have), though their personalities did diverge after a point.

I am going to try to partially defend Radomír. The killing of the child was outright murder; the war had been won and children are innocents (in my games, I try to stop plots against children). While flaying alive may be a bit extreme, if the killing brought the Poles to the bargaining table and shorten the war saving Moravian lives (they attacked you, who cares about their lives), then the end justifies the means. While some talk of mysterious justice and trying to equate the punishment to the crime, I am more concerned about prevention. A ruler must sometimes overreact, especially early in their reign, to send a message not only to the one who committed the action but to anyone else who considers the action. For rebels, the punishment should greatly exceed that of foreign warriors. I would not only seize titles and lands, but geld (I may have played one too many games in the Empire) their dynasty and bring their children to my capital for schooling. If they rebel again, their children will die early. War is evil whether in modern or medEvil times. It sometimes takes a hard man to preserve the peace. A defensive Radomír may be better than offensive warrior father. Thank you for your writing and research that takes us to a culture and time that we can only imagine.

I'm glad to see that Radko has at least some riding defence, however partial! Personally, I tend to sympathise with the guy, despite his being fundamentally morally compromised in several ways. (Child-killing being one of them.)

But yes - there are certainly Slavic leaders in this time and later whose methods can seem cruel and extreme, but whose situations were also often fraught with threats to life and bodily integrity from the outside (the Pechenegs, the Mongols, the Vikings) whose terror we might only imagine today. In Romania, Vlad Dracul is still regarded as a national hero for his defence of Wallachia from the Turks. And even a figure like Ivan the Terrible in Russia is regarded with greater sympathy there than elsewhere. I did try to aim for a similar ambiguity and multifaceted interpretation of Radko as to these rulers.

Reactions:
Book Three Chapter Eleven
ReadAAR AdvisAARy: Steaminess and sappiness ahead. Nothing X-rated as yet, but easily in PG-13 territory.

ELEVEN
First, Gently…
3 April 1027 – 1 May 1030

armesdet.JPG

Atchwelwynt Wydyl ar eu hennyd.
rydrychafwynt Gymry kadyr gyweithyd.
bydinoed am gwrwf a thwrwf milwyr.
A theyrned Dews rygedwys eu ffyd.
Iwis y pop llyghes tres a deruyd.
A chymot Kynan gan y gilyd.
ny alwawr gynhon yn gynifwyr.
namyn kechmyn Katwaladyr ae gyfnewitwyr…

Eustach’s tongue and palate worked their way around the strange British consonants only with difficulty. This speech was quite frempt from his. And his copy of this recent poem, purchased from a bookseller in Praha, was naturally written in the Latin script rather than Slavonic, so that he was forced to proceed with care. Further, he still wasn’t entirely sure about the virtues of reading a poem which celebrated the impending total victory of the Britons over his own, and Dolz’s, Saxon forebears. But Dolz sat entranced by his side on a love-seat as he read, her keen eyes enjoying not only the sound of his voice (even in the halting British by which he read), but also approving a tale in which the long-suffering and pious people of God triumphed over a long-standing enemy and oppressor.

2021_06_18_82a.png

Tu as une voiz si agreable,’ Dolz complimented his reading as he drew to the last stanza. She put her arms around his back and rested her head on his shoulder.

Veraiement?’ asked Eustach, cherishing Dolz’s amiable touch upon him. ‘I fear my British is rather indifferent. Certainly more than a touch clumsy.’

He felt Dolz shake her head against his neck. ‘Pas de le tot!’ she demurred with emphasis. ‘Even if you were a little slow to recite, that gave me the time to enjoy, to savour…’

She ran her hands through her husband’s hair. Eustach was more than pleased to feel the stirrings of want in her touch… the first tender shoots of a desire that went beyond wifely duty.

‘… before you must depart from me again,’ she concluded, with unmistakeable sorrow.

‘Not for long,’ Eustach told her.

Inside those couple of months, between the campaigns in the eastern Slovak lowlands and those in northern Czechia when the Moravian Army was encamped by Olomouc, Kráľ Eustach had managed to contrive it so that he could spend some of this quality time with his wife. The armies of Prohor Mutimírić and Vratko Aqhazar had been defeated, and the army was moving northward into territories held by the rebelling Přemyslovci. At this point, Eustach had every reason to believe in, and work toward, a swift end to the uprising. The promise in Dolz’s touch had been stimulating and thrilling.

2021_06_18_83a.png

~~~​

For her part, Dolz was happy that her husband was taking an interest in things which mattered to her. He had extended such a friendly gesture to Retta Yostos, and now he was taking time to read to her, poetry which was both God-fearing and heroic. The more Eustach turned that passion of his toward her, it seemed, the more her body and her heart responded.

Maman,’ asked a small voice from her side, several months later. ‘What are you doing?’

‘I am writing another letter,’ she told her daughter. ‘To your father.’

Dosie made a small ‘o’ with her mouth. ‘You never wrote him so many letters before.’

‘No,’ Dolz acknowledged. ‘I did not. Why do you not go and play outside? The weather is lovely out there! You should run, be active!’

Dosie hung her head miserably. ‘I can’t, maman,’ she told her.

‘Why on earth not?’ asked Dolz.

‘I don’t want Světimír to find me,’ she said. ‘He always pulls my hair, or tugs my skirts, or plays mean tricks on me.’

‘I see,’ her concerned mother said. ‘Do you want me to have a talk with him? Or with his parents?’

‘No!’ Dosie shook her head emphatically. ‘That will just make it worse!’

2021_06_18_99a.png

In the end, Dolz had to acquiesce to letting her daughter go back to her room alone, even though it was such a fine day. For now, she paid no mind to Dosie’s reluctance to play, as it gave her time to go back to writing her letter, whose contents were of a rather personal nature, and most assuredly not for an eleven-year-old girl to see!

To tell the truth, Dolz delighted in the letters she received back from Eustach. His French was improving, she was gratified to note. But she appreciated the things about himself that Eustach was revealing to her now as well. In the places he wrote from, he always attached intricate and lush descriptions, and she found herself envisioning in her mind’s eye the places he went. His descriptions of architecture, and in particular the differences between the wooden craftsmanship of the east and the masonry of the north and west, proved more interesting to her than she would have credited: and in particular his descriptions of the differences in church architecture.

And then—he got naughty in his geographical references. Whenever he penned a description of the Bohemian uplands she blushed and started breathing hard whenever he spoke, in terms too intimate for any other eyes but hers to see, of how often he thought about scaling her high mountains, walking in her deep forest, or skinny-dipping in her hot little lake. She found herself hoping to do some exploration work on him as well, when he returned.

And return he did.

Eustach came into Dolz’s chamber with a large bouquet of flowers at his elbow, a flagon of wine and two bowls in his hands. Dolz grinned up at her husband as he came in the door. Her cogitative nose worked at the smell of the wine as he set it, with the flowers, down carefully on the table before her.

Cil est du vin françeis,’ Dolz smiled with pleasure. ‘Vin de la Loire!

Un petit goust de maisun,’ Eustach answered her. ‘Et por tu—solement le meillor.’

Dolz let her eyes linger upon her husband with appreciation. He was speaking her language now. And he was plying her with wine—and not just any wine either, but wine from her home region, which smelled to her like home. And flowers. She took one of the wooden bowls he offered her, and kept it held out to be served. Eustach decanted the red wine, and she hailed him with it before bringing it to her lips and savouring it. And she wasn’t only drinking the wine. With thirsty eyes Dolz was drinking in this ruler of men, who had returned to her chambers with such clear tokens of affection.

It was dangerous, this compulsion that came creeping up on Dolz before she knew it had hold of her. And she had not felt it for a long time. Her scholarly, clinical mind was quick to analyse what was happening to her body—but the tingling hot, wet humours flooding into her brain, her heart and her womb themselves soon drowned out any attempt to understand them. The father of her daughter was sitting across the table from her, enjoying the wine with her. They’d been married for sixteen years, and had lain with each other all that while. But now she found herself gripped by an urge to bed him, which frightened her a bit… but thrilled her a great deal more.

Before, when Eustach spoke and Dolz couldn’t understand, it had frustrated her. Now, as she listened to him speak in French, the meaning still eluded her… not because she couldn’t understand him, but because she was blissfully occupied with the speaker. His baritone voice comforted her—soothed her—made her feel safe. And had his mouth always been that perfect, his neck and shoulders that manly? Or had she just noticed it now? She found her face was seated on the backs of her hands, like a girl half her age daydreaming about love. What on earth had come over her?

‘Are you alright?’ Eustach asked suddenly.

Dolz shook her head in a start. How to explain the redness of her face, and her lack of attention? ‘Escusez-moé, Eustace. It must be the wine—it goes straight to my head. Oh, I should lie down…’

Eustach stood and gallantly offered her his hand. She stood—and then Eustach’s free arm swept under the backs of her knees.

‘Oh!’

And now he was carrying her to bed. Dolz not only offered no resistance, but clung with her arms tightly around his shoulders, embracing as much of them as she dared. He bore her warmly, set her down gently. She gazed up at him, her eyes full of him. Eustach’s mouth lowered down to hers. But Dolz was the one clinging to his neck, dragging him down to her, opening her lips and feeling his teeth with her needy tongue. There they were, Dolz on the bed, and Eustach kneeling at the side, embracing each other without regard for time.

Dolz found herself tugging up the hem of her own skirt as they kissed—up off her ankles, knees, thighs… and hips. Eustach’s hand followed the naughty hem, right up to where she wanted it to go.

Oh, Eustace…’ Dolz sighed as he began exploring tenderly with his fingers. She thanked God she had been so thorough in giving him his anatomy lessons… he found just the right place and rubbed with just the right firmness. Why now, after sixteen years of wedded life, did it suddenly again feel so new—like the first time, but better? Dolz discontinued that thought as her hands went to Eustach’s trousers and tugged them down. She didn’t care. She just wanted more.

And – ‘oué!’ – she got it.

Again. And again. And again. And again.

2021_06_18_89a.png

~~~​

Dolz gasped open-mouthed as she climaxed underneath Eustach. ‘Oh, là, meon amooooor…

No denying it now. He loved her. She loved him back. Pure, sweet and blessedly simple. Eustach thanked God and his father for this passionate French doctrix he’d been yoked with, whose arms and legs and ankles wrapped sensually around as much of his body as they could take, on top and inside, holding him as tight and as close to her as possible. Dolz was everything Eustach – a typical Rychnovský in his taste in women – could want in a woman. He traced and petted the strands of her honey-blonde hair and gazed into her sleepy, sated blue eyes. Under the deep, soft, immense pillows of her bosom that bulged and billowed out against his ribcage, under their mingled fresh sweat pooling between them, Dolz’s thundering heartbeat—now slowing after their latest purely-pleasurable give-and-take in the sheets—matched his own. What husband could be luckier, than to fall in love with his own wife after sixteen years together?

After that steamy week of passion, Eustach had to march northward once again into the Czech lands, and Dolz found herself with his child.

This time, however, as her belly grew rounder and heavier, her heart grew lighter—because she knew her husband would come to her again, and hold her just as tight as he had during that week of inexpressible marital joy.

2021_06_18_90a.png

~~~​

The end of the rebellion came not long after Hrabě Markvart agreed to a negotiated settlement. Robbed of the support of the Přemyslovci, Prohor and Vratko were forced to surrender. Eustach returned triumphant from war, having sent Captain Milan back home and having covered himself in the glory of a peace brokered at a lower cost than further bloodshed.

Victory—along with romantic escapades and spirited bouts of enthusiastic lovemaking with his heavily pregnant queen—boosted Eustach’s mood and made the Kráľ magnanimous. Eustach, knowing well the pride of his vassal, refused to humiliate Prohor Mutimírić by having him dragged before the whole court in iron shackles. He walked in under guard, but unbound and unbowed. And he was released without condition, the very same day as he was hauled before Eustach’s court as prisoner.

‘Let it never be said of a Rychnovský, least of all this one,’ Eustach had assured, and warned, Prohor, ‘that he has treated a Bijelahrvatskić with cruelty or inhospitality. Only remember to what you owe this grace. Go back to your lands and reflect upon your judgement.’

2021_06_18_105a.png

It was only a short month thereafter that Dolz gave birth to another healthy, bright-eyed, brown-haired baby girl. In her facial features she was much the same as her mother—the same cogitative nose, the same rounded face. But her colouration was all her father’s: brown hair and hazel eyes.

‘What shall we call her?’ asked Eustach, cradling Dolz’s head just as she was cradling their beautiful baby girl. ‘I had been thinking something… light, holy and graceful. Something like Svetluša.’

‘Mm,’ Dolz luxuriated against her husband’s shoulder, leaning into the hollow of it comfortably. ‘It is a good idea, meon espos. But I would prefer something out of Scripture. Perhaps her patroness should be Anne, the mother of the Mother of God?’

‘Perfect.’ Eustach breathed in the subtle scent of Dolz’s hair. Victorious in war, vindicated by God, and now at home with a warm-hearted wife and two adorable little girls? What more could a man ask than that?

2021_06_18_101a.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Radomír, poor, poor tortured soul. He is far from the worst person that we will see. His suffering in this world has come to an end. Long live King Jacob. Will he give us twenty-seven years and reach his father's three score and eight. Hopefully his journey will be less torturous. Thank you for the update

Reactions:
King Jacob at 25 and 66 is almost a perfect match for his father. Long live King Eustace. Hopefully, we will see three score and ten. The young bride and the old groom that ends with the groom still standing is unexpected. Thank you for the beautiful Moravian history (OTL Olomouc Timeline).

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am caught up and eagerly await the next Moravia foray. I will probably not journey to EU4 until CK3 finishes. I was shocked when I realized that we had not reached the 1066 start. Thank you for hard work, wonderful imagination and careful research.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Certainly steamy (and for once, when Douce drifts into her native language, I can fully appreciate it)... though as pointed out, it had to come to this eventually, as Douce's appearance fits the Moravian kings' preferences in women perfectly. After Jakub, Eustace too might not look for a lover outside of his marriage!

His treatment of the rebellious vassal might seem to be forgiving, hidden behind the obvious justification of caring for the White Corats, but it also sends another message - revolts are just minor annoyances.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well, I’m glad for both their sakes that Dolz seems to find Eustach desirable and charming by her own estimates at least, cause if I’m being honest the in-game model makes him look absolutely pig-faced :X

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Radomír, poor, poor tortured soul. He is far from the worst person that we will see. His suffering in this world has come to an end. Long live King Jacob. Will he give us twenty-seven years and reach his father's three score and eight. Hopefully his journey will be less torturous. Thank you for the update

Certainly steamy (and for once, when Douce drifts into her native language, I can fully appreciate it)... though as pointed out, it had to come to this eventually, as Douce's appearance fits the Moravian kings' preferences in women perfectly. After Jakub, Eustace too might not look for a lover outside of his marriage!

His treatment of the rebellious vassal might seem to be forgiving, hidden behind the obvious justification of caring for the White Corats, but it also sends another message - revolts are just minor annoyances.

Well, I’m glad for both their sakes that Dolz seems to find Eustach desirable and charming by her own estimates at least, cause if I’m being honest the in-game model makes him look absolutely pig-faced :X

Zasvěceným čtenářům!
Lehce sympatickým tyranům!
Vlhkým Francouzkám!
Králům s prasečími tvářemi!

Mír a dlouhý život!
✌️

Teracube_20220227_192048_229.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions:
Book Three Chapter Twelve
TWELVE
Lady’s Slipper
3 August 1029 – 1 May 1030

2021_06_18_108a.png

Dist Oliver: “D’iço ne sai jo blasme?
Jo ai veüt les Sarrazins d’Espaigne,
Cuverz en sunt li val e les muntaignes
E li lariz e trestutes les plaignes.
Granz sunt les oz de cele gent estrange;
Nus i avum mult petite cumpaigne.”
Respunt Rollant: “Mis talenz en est graigne.
Ne placet Damnedeu ne ses angles
Que ja pur mei perdet sa valur France!
Melz voeill murir que huntage me venget.
Pur ben ferir l’Emperere plus nos aimet!”
’​

Thus singing to himself in French, a heroic air lately composed by some fellow named Turold as he’d been fighting the Muslims in the south of Dolz’s country, Eustach made his way along the forest path to the south bank of the Vistula. There were advantages indeed to being king of a major country along a significant stretch of the main pilgrimage road to Jerusalem—he doubted this canso was available to many others outside the borders of West Francia. Dolz had certainly been appreciative when he’d sung memorised parts of it to her in the courtyard!

Of course, this little tour Eustach was making, so close to that perilous and porous northern march beyond which the heathen raged, was a proof of his love of a much different sort.

2021_06_18_109a.png

‘When Saint Methodius was here,’ she’d said, ‘a few of the monks he had blessed went forth into that country northwest of Sadec. They founded a cloister on the Vistula where they kept their prayers until the heathen attacked across the river and destroyed it. There is only a ruin there now. But there was a monk there, so I hear, who planted a hardy red lady’s-slipper cross from beyond la Tartarie. Rare a le delà des mots. If you could get me living samples of these, I would be… deeply grateful.’

And what Eustach wouldn’t do for a bit of that gratitude!

Which is why he was now picking through the woods alone in an attempt to find this old monastic ruin. Eventually, though, he did spot an outcrop on the south bank, where the land rose above the running water and formed an unmistakeable limestone cliff with a sheer rock face. The Moravian Kráľ picked his way up the slope on one of the gentler sides, anchoring his feet on stable juts and the roots of the sturdier hillside willows which sent their long soft fronds out over the side of the slope and down toward the river. As he approached the promontory, Eustach saw the trees thin out near the top, and also saw the ash-pale ruins of the cloister foundations scattered upon it. Already late summer as it was, the slender new poplars which were most noticeable growing amid the detritus were already beginning to yellow. Eustach gazed upon the wrack of the cloister with sadness in his heart, as well as anger toward the Poles who had put it to the torch.

tyniec.jpg

But that was not why he was here. Eustach at once began to search for the red lady’s-slipper that Dolz had mentioned might grow around here. Eustach knew what the more common orchids looked like. And the lady’s-slipper, even if it was too late in the season to identify by its distinctive bulbous flower, would still display the broad, partly-furled, boat-shaped opposite twin basals, the long stalk, and the telltale dorsal sepal which should still be attached, even if the flower had already wilted and gone to seed. For this purpose, studied enough of what orchids looked like even out of season to be able to identify it. Just as with the migratory habits of coconuts, the combustibility of objects which weigh the same as a duck, and the unladen air speed velocity of African and European swallows, you do have to know these things when you’re a king.

Eustach picked his way across the debris-strewn wrack of the monastery until he came to a rather emptier plot which could very likely be the monastic garden. The place was overgrown with the usual opportunistic vegetation which takes over fields after all these years lying fallow: nettles, thistles, rapeseed, charlock, alehoof, violets, horsetails, ferns, and other sorts which Eustach couldn’t identify. But the boat-shaped paired basals and long upright stalks of orchid quite stubbornly refused to present themselves as Eustach picked through them.

He did this for hours in the summer heat, until the sweat poured down his forehead, stinging his eyes, and down his back beneath his tunic. He fought the temptation to strip the thing from his back and work in his bare shoulders as a peasant would do – he knew the August sun would quickly roast and blister his skin. But he made no forrader among the monk’s former garden-ground. His efforts there were wholly fruitless – or, rather, orchidless.

Discouraged as the sun began sinking down from its zenith, Eustach returned to the ruins and looked around at them. The poplars waved in the breeze blowing up from off the river, and Eustach stood in it to cool himself after hours of sun beating on his back. The walls still had cool shadow, and the dappling shadows of the leaves danced around them, providing their own.

Eustach would have missed seeing the waving stalk if not for the inconsistent poplar-shade in which it grew. A stray shaft of sunlight coming now from an angle through the leaves struck a narrow shoot, gleaming a bright yellow-green. Eustach approached the plant, and at once saw the sepal growing over the spot where the bright bulbous red flower had once grown (and since shrivelled – though the faded colour still marked it for what it was). The two leaves at the bottom of the stalk had that peculiar two-ended boat shape, one folding in slightly around the other at the base.

This was it!

Cypripedium_×_ventricosum_Orchi_148.jpg

It was one of several of the rare Siberian orchids, all growing in a cluster between sun and shade, which evidently suited them well. Overjoyed at his success, Eustach drew his knife from its scabbard and began gently using it as a spade, finding two of the plants with heavy seed pods below the faded flowers that were still green. Dolz had told him that, if he found one, he should take care to remove it from the soil with the roots still intact, and with the soil itself around them… otherwise she wouldn’t be able to get the seeds to grow. Eustach didn’t understand it all, but his wife evidently did, and he trusted her.

Carefully excavating these two plants and a good portion of the earth in which they grew, Eustach took them up gently and placed them, root balls and all, in his scrip. Blessed with his find, he left the monastic ruin and returned to the road. On the way back to Olomouc from the tense boundary between Christendom and heathenry marked by the Vistula, Eustach made certain that the orchids rested comfortably at his side, breathing air and sunlight through the flap of his scrip, and standing his scrip upright at his bedside if he was obliged to stay at someone’s home or at a wayhouse for the night.

Upon his return to Olomouc, he made straight for his wife’s chambers and presented her with the scrip: the two seeding orchids were safely ensconced inside, their stalks a bit peaky from their journey on the road but otherwise still alive. Dolz took the plants tenderly from her husband.

2021_06_18_110a.png

Meon chieri!’ she exclaimed, crossing herself as she examined them, and set them gently upon her dressing-table. ‘And there they are, truly! Lady’s-slippers from the eastern end of the world!’ Dolz gave a broad smile and put her arms around her husband’s neck.

‘So you like them?’

Jo les ador,’ Dolz breathed, giving Eustach a firm kiss. ‘And you! There is something else I wish you to do for me, my valiant!’

‘More difficult than finding those lady’s slippers?’ Eustach put on an expression of mock exhaustion.

‘Oh, non,’ Dolz crooned, ‘Not more difficult – certainly not for you. But some exertion is involved, you see. This time, I want you to… how to say… slip something of yours inside this lady. But, if you feel you cannot handle it right now, I do understand.’

‘Now, I never said that,’ Eustach answered her.

~~~​

Eustach’s admiration for his wife went much deeper now than mere physical attraction. Not only was she his wife, not only his queen, but she was also now a practised doctor. Although she had started under King Jakub with what she knew—cleaning and dressing wounds, setting bones, saying prayers of healing effect—she had since made it her study to improve upon her methods and even expand her knowledge into humourism, herbalism, studies of good and bad air. ‘Helvius Turonicus’ had even gone over the book which contained her original notes, devotions and sketches from the age of ten, and started editing and adding to it in the margins based on her mature knowledge and experience.

Eustach loved to just watch her pore over the book by candlelight as they sat in their room together between first and second sleep. She would gaze over a line and perhaps repeat a Latin phrase she’d written doubtfully. Eustach found his heart catching over each of her little quirks: the way she nibbled the end of her feather pen, the way she tutted over a typographical error, or the innocent little smile that crept over her face when she’d completed something to her satisfaction. The father had arranged the son far better than said son knew or deserved! He remembered his proud and haughty words about his bride then with blushing shame, for now he could imagine no one but her at his side.

2021_06_18_111a.png

By the time the Christmas feast arrived several months later, Dolz was already noticeably swelling with her and Eustach’s third. Eustach found, along the whole ride to Nitra, that he couldn’t keep his eyes off his wife. Dolz at forty was somehow even more glorious than when he’d first laid eyes on her at sixteen – and that was saying something significant! Dolz laid a hand in Eustach’s lap and twined her fingers tightly in his, just for the comfort and assurance of it.

Eustach’s mind, however, continued to work. The task of defending the northern border, combined with the tasks of integrating the various pieces of the kingdom his great-grandfather Pravoslav in particular had bequeathed to him, were constantly in the back of his mind. Of course the ever-irksome Bohemian nobles had to be kept in line, but it had been disappointing to learn that even Prohor’s and Vratko’s loyalty were not as steadfast as they had once seemed to him. One advantage to attending a Christmas feast in Nitra was the chance he would get, of forming a closer relationship with the Mojmírovci – and in particular with his kancelář, Knieža Vieroslav Mojmírov.

2021_06_18_113a.png
2021_06_18_114a.png

The feast went better than Eustach could have dreamed.

Vieroslav, being a vivacious host as well as having something of a short span of attention, was as a result more than a bit of a tippler. Although he was able to consume prodigious quantities of wine without feeling the effects, that same capacity caused him to forget all too easily how much he had actually drunk. And so it was that late in the evening, Eustach’s host hung his arm confidingly around the king’s shoulder. Vieroslav’s breath was so heavy with wine that Eustach fancied he could practically drink it.

‘You have done me—done me a great honour, Kráľ. It has been far too long since one of your family has set foot within our hall! And it—it truly is—I’m truly touched! O King, for gracing us with your presence today, if there is anything at all I can do for you—let me know at once! It shall be done, I promise you!’

Eustach looked askance at his dangerously-inebriated vassal. On the one hand, Vieroslav was clearly well in his cups. But on the other hand… a favour from his kancelář, and indeed a favour from any Mojmírov, was not a thing to be sneezed at!

2021_06_18_114b.png

‘Anything at all, you say?’ Eustach repeated back to him… at least loud enough so that the guests on his side could hear. But Vieroslav, heedless of the change in tone, proudly repeated himself.

Anything at all!’ he boomed. ‘You ask it of me? It’s yours!’

So public a promise to the King, so loudly proclaimed in company, would not be so easily forgotten. Eustach gave a subtle grin, and made a note to remind his vassal of that promise when he was sober. Not that he would use such a promise for anything untoward, but it was good to have Nitra owing him a favour when he was attempting to figure out how best to manage his other vassals.

‘I should see to our Dosie,’ Dolz stood from the table. ‘She should not be pestering Ľudovít again…’

2021_06_18_120a.png

Eustach squeezed his wife’s hand fondly. ‘I’m sure she’ll be fine, but go ahead.’

The return squeeze of the hand as his wife stood, the smouldering glance she threw back at Eustach as she left the table, and the family way she was in – all were apparent to the other guests. Why should a Queen hide her affection for her King? It wasn’t the Moravian way, but then she wasn’t Moravian. But Hrabě Svätopluk Mojmírov of Hont, Vieroslav’s muscular and hawk-eyed older brother, noticed all of these things, and remarked to the king:

‘Growing brood, eh?’

‘With God’s help,’ the king answered.

‘It’s a fair lookout,’ Svätopluk mused sympathetically. ‘Family—it’s the most important thing. I was the second husband to an older woman; she gave me a son. She died recently, sad to say. But my sweet little Bavarian cake now, my second wife Ida… after God, my mother and my brother, she’s my whole world. You know what I’m talking about, clearly.’

‘I certainly do,’ mused Eustach.

‘You need to keep your woman close,’ Svätopluk confided. ‘Make sure you notice her. Make sure she notices you. Attention to detail—that’s what a lady values.’

The king nodded, clearly remembering the earlier years of his marriage to Dolz, when she was all but a complete stranger to him. How different it was now! And yet they could be even closer than this. ‘I’ll keep that in mind,’ he answered.

‘I’m sure,’ Svätopluk raised his bowl to the king. ‘God speed you in that!’

Eustach answered the hrabě’s cheer with his own bowl.

2021_06_18_115a.png

~~~

2021_06_18_118a.png

La flame blöe, qui brusle denz tes ieuz,
En moi, inextinguible, s’alume un fu.
Plus halt, plus pres de Deu t’ateinz,
Et por te segre là-bas, tu m’enhardiz.
Apesant et dolz, ta toche de garison,
Mes lumineus tu flammes à la meson!
Elas alcun remede à ma maladie n’aise,
Saulf ce toche et ton tendre baise.

2021_06_18_119a.png

~~~​

‘It’s a boy!’ exclaimed the midwife as she presented the baby to his father.

A broad, glowing smile spread across Eustach’s face. A son! An heir, at last! He looked down at the chubby, round, ruddy-faced, bright-eyed little cherub in his hands. This was a lad with a weighty destiny upon his shoulders. It was as though Eustach could feel the life that this little one would not only enjoy but seize, as by some premonitory power that God might grace a new father with. Still rapt in the little one in his hands, Eustach tenderly entered in upon his love, the woman who had borne for him this hope for the Moravian kingdom, this assurance of the Rychnovský patrimony.

His attention shifted at once to her. She reached out a joyful hand to him and gripped it with every ounce of firmness that she could muster.

‘Thomas,’ she told him.

‘Thomas?’ asked Eustach, slightly surprised.

‘Thomas,’ his wife affirmed. ‘Retta had a special devotion to Saint Thomas, though from what I gather that may have been the Egyptian Saint Thomas the Anchorite rather than Saint Thomas the Apostle… you do not approve, meon amor?’

‘Mm? No, in fact I do like that name. Just… be aware that future generations will call him Tomáš.’

‘In Moravian or in French,’ Dolz lifted her chin proudly, ‘it will be a worthy name. He shall make it so.’

‘You are sure.’

‘I am sure,’ Dolz told him. ‘As much as of God’s grace upon sinners, or of my heart’s devotion to you.’

2021_06_18_121a.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions: