• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
II.
23 April 1016 – 16 June 1016

[Three letters, delivered to the Moravian camp besieging Hērakleia Pontikē during the first Nikaian war in 1016. – Trans.]

2021_06_18_28a.png

In the name of God the Father Almighty, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, the unworthy Dolz of Touraine sends her noble husband, Eustach prince heritier of Great Moravia, greeting:

Each day and each night I pray, husband of mine, to God for the swift subjugation of the thrice-accursed rebels against the rule of His anointed in the East, and for your return in the glory and honour which I know to be your due. It is my daily study and practice, along with my prayers, to apply myself to learning more about my Wendish surroundings in the hope of being useful to you upon your arrival here, an event which I pray God comes swiftly.

This past April I am delivered of the sweet, delicate and beautiful soul which you left in my womb prior to your leaving. She has your hair and your eyes, although I fear she may end up with my own unfashionable jawline and mouth. She is truly a blessing, a gift from God! In hope of pleasing you, husband, I have chosen a Greek name for our daughter. She has been baptised and churched as Théodosie. The female servants say it is not good for a mother to be too close in her daughter’s company for the first few months, but I find I cannot long bear to be separated from our precious little Dosie, regardless of whether she is happy or upset, sleeping or awake. How comes it that such a tiny and helpless little thing possesses the strength, by whatever art, to wring the heart out of me?

Now that you are upon the field by which the mettle of men is tested, Eustach, I pray that you acquit yourself with the prowess and virtue, which I know are rightfully yours. God grant it that you show your strength and brilliance in battle. God grant it that the Moravian men flock to your boldness. God grant it that you cover yourself in fame by your deeds. God grant you either a glorious death in battle or a glorious return: thus does the mother of your daughter send both of our benedictions to you. God be with you, husband, wherever you are now and wherever you go.

- Dolz de Touraine

2021_06_18_29a.png

~~~​

This letter is meant for the eyes of the King alone, upon pain of death.

Kráľ Jakub, regarding the matter of your lady niece, Jarmila. I have obtained intimate tokens of her favour from the bishop’s office in the cathedral, as well as witnesses to her amorous escapades therein. The two of them have not been quite careful enough. Archbishop Ľubomír evidently keeps a keepsake medallion with a lock of her shame-hair enclosed within—on a chain underneath his cassock.

What your Majesty chooses to do with this intelligence is, of course, at your Majesty’s own discretion. But I can provide the proofs, should you require them.

- Nitrabor

2021_06_18_25a.png

~~~​

To Král Jakub of Great Moravia, Leopold 2. of the East Franks sends greeting –

I trust that your martial efforts in the East are proceeding according to your will. In that endeavour I wish you success.

I confess that your prior letter left me a trifle puzzled. Why in God’s name would you wish to know about the ‘confections and sweets’ that, supposedly, I ‘enjoy’ here in Karlsruhe? What manner of admission did you hope to wring out of me with such artless phrasing? I suppose you shall have to be satisfied with the answer that I enjoy a healthy and well-balanced diet here in my court, and I heed my physician’s advice entirely regarding the proper balance of my humours. That is all I am prepared to write on the matter to you.

God keep and protect you.

2021_06_18_26a.png
2021_06_18_31a.png
2021_06_18_32a.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It’s a neat little closing of the loop, in a way, where once Constantine and Methodius had to adopt Slavic equivalents of their names in order to be better received by the Moravian populace, and now, a few centuries down the line, the Moravian royals are increasingly reaching towards Greek/Orthodox names for their children.

Also LMAO at asking the chubby Karling King what his favorite sweets were. For such an otherwise tactful and competent diplomat, that wasn’t Jakub’s finest hour :D

• 2Like
Reactions:
It’s a neat little closing of the loop, in a way, where once Constantine and Methodius had to adopt Slavic equivalents of their names in order to be better received by the Moravian populace, and now, a few centuries down the line, the Moravian royals are increasingly reaching towards Greek/Orthodox names for their children.

Also LMAO at asking the chubby Karling King what his favorite sweets were. For such an otherwise tactful and competent diplomat, that wasn’t Jakub’s finest hour :D

Well, yeah. It's somewhat understandable given that Dolz isn't Slavic but had to convert to Orthodoxy. On the other hand, Bohodar slovoľubec is probably rolling in his grave, given all the trouble he went to to ensure Slavic bishops on his territory. :)

Those random letter-exchange events make very little sense to me. Ctibor, for example, hated Jakub's guts (and for good reason), and it was clear from all of the insulting epithets he used for Jakub. But evidently Jakub was a smooth enough talker to get polite replies out of Ctibor not only once but twice! And with the opinionwise positively-inclined Leopold, on the other hand... he just kind of fell on his face. Maybe there should be some kind of opinion threshold for those letter-exchange events...

~~~

III.
28 April 1017

chios.png

The Moravian zbrojnošov, archers and horsemen had been in position around the fortress on Chios off the Ionian coast for over nine months, since July of the previous year. The castle was surrounded on west, north and south sides, and Chios Harbour on the eastern side of the island was completely blockaded. Now the lean months had come again, and there was every indication that the rebelling garrison within was starving and demoralised. Vratko was overseeing the final touches on the siege ladders to scale the castle walls when Eustach approached him.

‘Is today the day?’ asked Eustach.

Vratko gave him a gesture in the affirmative. ‘Are you ready for it?’

Eustach nodded and gave his gear a pat-down. ‘Ready as I’ll ever be. I suppose no one’s ever really ready to mount a fastness and overcome the resistance within, but speaking for myself I won’t fail you.’

Vratko clapped a hand on the young prince’s shoulder. ‘Good lad. This one’s a Byzantine fort—tough nut to crack. But a fastness is only as firm as her defenders. Soon it will be ours.’

‘Good,’ Eustach breathed. ‘We need a solid victory, particularly after that desbâcle at Abydos.’

Vratko searched Eustach’s eyes. ‘Interesting choice of words, Stachko. That wife of yours hasn’t been tutoring you in her lingo, has she?’

Eustach blushed. Vratko let out a bark of a laugh.

‘You be careful, lad. That’s always how it starts! I’ve seen enough Khazar men in my family start learning Moravian to suit their ladies. Don’t let her wrap you around her finger.’

‘She’s… she’s not like that,’ Eustach muttered.

Sure she isn’t,’ Vratko smirked. ‘The ladders have been made ready for the scale, and it looks like the engineers have put the final touches on the belfries. We can wheel them into position on the west wall whenever we please. We’re ready to make an attempt on the castle, as soon as your father gives the word.’

‘I’ll let him know,’ Eustach told him.

2021_06_18_34a.png

~~~​

Jakub himself was in his tent at the siege camp. When Eustach entered, his father’s dark brown eyes were bent over the plans of Chios Castle provided to him by Despotēs Hypatios. He had marked off the three points along the outer wall where their engines had breached the walls, and was deciding where best to place the mobile belfries for a quick assault with few casualties.

Eustach cleared his throat. ‘Ocko, Vratko says that all has been made ready. We may begin the assault as soon as you please.’

Jakub favoured his son with a warm smile. ‘Good. I shall give the order soon.’

‘… Is something the matter, Father?’

‘Oh, no – other than the fact that I far prefer talking to fighting. I suppose I was still hoping Kallistos would listen to reason.’

‘He is a rebel against Emperor Staurikios, and thus a rebel against God,’ Eustach answered quietly. ‘We cannot help it if his heart is hardened; but God’s will be done.’

Jakub deeply appreciated his son at times like these. Unfazed, unflappable, and unmoveable in his certitude, possessed of the cool ease and level temper that had been a Rychnovský trait since Pravoslav’s time, yet also every bit as determined as Radomír had been, Jakub could see more than a bit of himself in his and Eirēnē’s son. It also reassured him that the future of Moravia was reasonably secure. As king, Eustach would wield power with matchless grace and self-control.

‘Take your detachment of the zbrojnošov and wheel your belfry to the northwest breach,’ Jakub ordered his son. ‘Stay out of reach of their crossbows and machines for now. It will not be long before I give the order. And remember – when you storm the castle, make sure to take Kallistos alive if at all possible. Capture the Stratēgos of Boukellarion, and we win the war.’

‘Father,’ Eustach bowed, and left without hesitation to do his bidding.

Jakub stood from his desk and swept outside himself.

The spring weather on Chios was fine. The limpid blue waters of the Middle Sea lapped placidly beneath a flawless sapphirine sky, and the sun brightened the white stone of the prize they were about to take. Jakub took a deep breath of the bracing salt air – something wholly unfamiliar to the Moravian palate in more peaceful times – and made his way to the siege line.

2021_06_18_35a.png

~~~​

When Eustach heard the blare of the horn, he placed his shoulder firmly against his pillar of the mobile belfry and began to push it toward the wall at the northwest breach. The arrows began flying thickly about him, whizzing and thudding their steel heads into the boards of the belfry or the planks of the shields of his men. Eustach would be lying if he said he didn’t feel nervous at the prospect of being killed in this siege, but such fears existed to be faced and overcome. Eustach did not at all waver or dally in his post, but kept pushing forward right alongside his armigers as they neared the castle wall.

When the belfry was near enough, Eustach leapt onto the rungs and began the climb. It was danger to be among the first into the enemy fastness, as he would at once become a target for every blade and bow in the place. But even so—he had his men to look after and inspire with his action. He scaled the belfry and leapt from the lowered boards into the gap in the wall, his shield and sword already at the ready.

The yells of the Ionian garrison instantly heralded the physical assault that awaited him and the armigers who had followed him in. Eustach pushed forward and met the clash head-on. The ring and squeal of steel, the clatter of boards, the stretching of leather and the bellows of exertion of lung and heart and muscle enveloped the heir-apparent as he stood firm with his boots on the stone. The smell of salt air was soon met with the unmistakeable tang of blood and the pall of smoke. Eustach waded forward into the violent sea of human struggle, ensconced behind the round wooden plank that bore the scratches of blades and the strain of shoving and jostling amid the ruined section of wall. Pain struck him at his side as the business end of an enemy polearm glanced off his armour. The cornerstone of a human wall, Eustach’s senses were scoured raw by the chaos amidst which he stood. But stand he did, and firmly. And he waded forward as his strength allowed, never once allowing his shield to drop or the blade in his strong hand to relax.

And then… the resistance gave out. Eustach barrelled forward and very nearly tripped over a body and off the catwalk of the enemy castle. He had emerged on the other side amid a surging line of dark-haired and dark-bearded Greeks, and found himself forced to pivot where he stood and fend them off now from three sides instead of two. But the Moravians were now firmly in control of that section of castle wall, and were beginning to spread to either side to take control of more.

Amid a gap in the sea of human wrath, Eustach spotted the towers of the belfries at the other two breaches, and his heart surged with hope. The Moravians, marching under the banner of Byzantium, were well on their way to retaking this castle for the glory of God Almighty. As he saw this, Eustach raised Psalm 27 on his breath:

The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes,
Came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.
Though a host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear:
Though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident!

And down the stairs he went into the bailey, his sword flashing before him. It was as he was crossing the courtyard toward the keep that he saw – closely guarded by two sturdy retainers – a helmeted man with a salt-and-pepper beard, in fine robes and armour, who could only be the master of the castle. Eustach lunged forward at the trio of men, heedless of his own safety.

‘Stand and fight!’ he shouted to the master.

The retainers at once moved to protect their master with their bodies. Eustach smiled wryly to himself and swore to make them pay dearly to claim his blood. The bodyguards lunged forward with the staid discipline proper to their position. But they quickly found that this bold young lordling threatening their charge, tall and long of reach, firm and nimble on his feet, with his sword wheeling in a youthful wrist, was not eathly overcome. A sudden unexpected slash from Eustach’s blade tore unawares through the neck of one of them, felling him at once. The other at once shifted to a more cautious footing.

Eustach found himself now facing one bodyguard in the midst of the bailey, with the master of the castle standing by. The archers along the walls dared not shoot and risk felling the man they had sworn to protect; and so for all intents this had become a personal duel. Cautiously Greek and Moravian placed their feet and circled each other, before Eustach made bold with the first lunge and pressured his foe on the left side. This bodyguard, however, took no more undue chances, but kept his guard tight and his feet steady, answering Eustach’s strike with a quick riposte.

Eustach circled to the right, not letting down his guard from the bodyguard, but also hindering the nobleman from making an escape. Now it was the bodyguard’s turn to level a strike at Eustach’s flank in the hopes of forcing him back, but the Moravian princeling turned it aside, sliding his blade along the bodyguard’s weapon and unbalancing it within his grip. The blade came loose, and Eustach kicked it back across the bailey where it could not be safely retrieved. By this time, the Moravians had nearly taken the whole length of wall around the courtyard, and some had descended the stairways into the bailey itself. Thus Eustach turned his attention from the disarmed guard to the nobleman.

‘Surrender yourself,’ Eustach ordered him in Greek.

‘I will not,’ the man answered him. ‘Iordanēs Oöryphas does not allow himself to be taken tamely!’

Eustach had little time to be crestfallen that the man before him wasn’t Kallistos, but instead Kallistos’s son, as Iordanēs was clearly well versed in the arts of swordsmanship himself, given the way he positioned his weight, bent his knees apart and shifted his weight in small steps to move in and out of his range.

It seemed now that the entire courtyard was watching Eustach’s single combat with Iordanēs. They matched each other stroke for stroke, step for step. Even though Eustach had height, reach, strength and the vigour of youth on his side, his opponent nevertheless had long experience of war and private quarrel, and knew well where to place his blows so as not to leave himself open to counterattack. Getting past his guard would not be an easy task, Eustach saw that soon enough.

Iordanēs was also quite a bit more flexible than his age let on, Eustach soon saw. He was able to deflect and exert strength in unexpected ways, that left Eustach chasing his own momentum in misaim, and left his guard dangerously gapped. The Moravian prince knew he would have to exercise greater caution and take a different approach when Iordanēs landed a touch that scraped through his mail and gave Eustach a flesh-wound in the fat of his right flank.

Instead of trying to angle in at him from the side, Eustach levelled a number of quick thrusts at Iordanēs’s head, neck and torso, forcing him to spend his energy fending him off and forcing him backwards a couple of valuable steps. Eustach used that space to position himself on the downward slope of a small knoll in the bailey that had lain between him and the Doux’s son. The added inch or two of reach that gave him was enough to put the Greek nobleman even further on the defensive. On the other hand, he knew that he was taking a risk. If Iordanēs was able to force him back from the knoll, his footing would be uncertain… and if he lost his footing altogether and fell, it would all be over.

Iordanēs evidently realised this too. He recovered his composure and returned a flurry of blows at Eustach’s sides that were meant to do precisely this. Eustach was forced to spend valuable effort with shield and blade just to keep the ground he’d fought to take. The tension between the two as they struggled to manœuvre around each other and past each other’s guards became wire-fine, and sweat was pouring down both of their brows and staining the clothes beneath their armour.

And then, a stumble. It was small, but cost dear. Eustach plunged forward, his blade falling in a clumsy-looking dip to follow Iordanēs off his lost footing. Iordanēs had to swing wide just to fend it away from his unguarded thigh. Eustach stepped confidently into the breach and smashed bodily into the Greek nobleman, with his shoulder braced forcefully behind his shield.

The Oöryphas scion’s sword went flying out of his grasp, and the man himself tumbled into the turf. Eustach spread his shield apart from his shoulder and aimed the point of his sword at Iordanēs’s throat.

Dejectedly, the Greek man pronounced: ‘I yield.’

2021_06_18_36a.png

2021_06_18_36b.png

‘The castle is ours!’ Vratko proclaimed.

‘And so is the master,’ Eustach answered, ‘not of Boukellarion as we’d hoped, but instead his eldest son.’

Vratko clapped Eustach on the shoulder. ‘Still a fine catch you’ve landed, even if it’s not the big fish himself. We also have in hold Boukellarion’s daughter Kyra, as well as his grandson Ioustinianos. We may not even have to take Herakleia before he yields himself.’

As it turned out, Doux Kallistos 2. Oöryphas of Boukellarion held out for another seven months after Chios and three of his descendants were taken by the Moravians on behalf of Despotēs Hypatios. But the loss of one of his most loyal supporters in revolt as well as so many of his kin forced him early on to surrender without terms in the first week of Advent in the year 6526. The Moravians returned home. And Eustach, as his wife had wished indeed, returned in glory, covered with the fame of his deeds.

2021_06_18_37a.png

2021_06_18_38a.png

• 2Love
Reactions:
Book Three Chapter Eight
EIGHT
Into the Mountains
20 June 1019 – 20 September 1021

beregovo.jpg

modern-day Berehovo

Although the situation over Užhorod had been largely resolved, Hungary and Moravia were still very much at loggerheads over the Outer East Carpathians. Hrabě Zemislav of Boršód had taken the liberty of removing what had long been a thorn in the side of Moravian sway in the Carpathians: the territory of Abov (from whence hailed the irksome Velemír) and the associated villages making up Košice. Ctibor’s forces were utterly spent, and Jakub wasted no time in pressing the Bijelahrvatskić claim on Berehovo.

The war was financed largely with the silver in ransom that was paid for the safe return of the Oöryphas children, Kyra and Komēs Iordanēs, as well as a bit of loot that had been raided and then recaptured from the heathen Poles. The tale of Eustach’s bout of swordplay against Iordanēs and two of his retainers had spread like wildfire through the court, and naturally it did not take long to reach the ears of Dolz. Although in speaking (as not in writing) she was still not particularly voluble in Slavonic, she had other ways of making known her appreciation and admiration to Eustach. And of course little Theodosie had moved her father every bit as deeply as she had her mother, such that Eustach was every bit as reluctant to depart from Olomouc into the mountains as he had been to depart for Nikaia.

2021_06_18_40a.png
2021_06_18_41a.png

2021_06_18_43a.png

2021_06_18_45a.png

Jakub’s brother, Brother Pravoslav Rychnovský of the Holy Sepulchre, had taken the reins of command this time, though he shared responsibility with the Hrabě of Sadec. Pravoslav was grateful for Vratko Aqhazar’s advice, as he was innately comfortable with rolling terrain such as these southern foothills of the Carpathians were. For his own part, Vratko was happy to share responsibility with the consecrated knight, as the man had a knack for siege tactics and engineering that would make the whole campaign against Ctibor that much easier.

The Magyars had left Berehovo lightly defended. The Slavic villagers in the countryside were supportive of the prospect of Bijelahrvatskić rule: Prohor Mutimírić’s reputation for kindness and even-handedness had spread further than the marches of his own territory. Together with Pravoslav’s deft deployment of siege engines, Berehovo did not take long to fall into Jakub’s grasp.

2021_06_18_46a.png

But the war with the Magyars had some unexpected costs.

Vratko Aqhazar stormed into the King’s tent in a sudden rage. His darkened brow and red cheeks spoke volumes for him. He fumed:

‘Your Majesty, this outrage must not go unanswered.’

Jakub regarded his vassal coolly. ‘What outrage is this?’

‘Heathen worms!’ Vratko shouted. ‘Foulest shit of Ľvov and Volyň! They’ve raided and carried off every able-bodied man and woman in Jaslo and Krosno, prey to their depraved lusts and sticky-fingered, grasping greed! My people must be avenged, my liege. If you will but allow me this detachment to pursue these unbelieving Červen bastards…’

‘Out of the question,’ Jakub told Vratko. ‘You are needed here, as are your men.’

‘But—!’

‘Vratko,’ Jakub told him amicably, ‘let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves. The northern raiders have always been a problem. Rest assured that there shall be an answer. In the meantime, I shall happily give you a third of a pound of gold in recompense for your loss and in aid of rebuilding. Would that suit you?’

Vratko, breath still bellowing like an ox, nodded after the tense space of several breaths. Vratko’s anger did flare up hot, but at the end of the day, the scion of Tarkhan and Ilık was not a vicious man. When left to himself, he proved reasonable.

2021_06_18_47a.png

‘Good. Send word to direct your šafár to Olomouc for the money, and I promise it shall be given to him without question or condition.’

That wasn’t the only setback. Pravoslav Rychnovský was surprised in his march southward by a horde of Magyar deserters who were in revolt against Ctibor. Unfortunately, Pravoslav only had a handful of archers to his credit alongside the ordinaries, while the Magyars fielded men in lamellar plate, lancers on horseback and men with pole-guisarmes on foot, in addition to the ordinary skirmishers. Their commander was also brutally effective in deploying them. Pravoslav was forced backward and onto a retreating foot almost as soon as the battle was joined in earnest. Half of Jakub’s army was thus put out of action while Vratko was laying siege to Ostrihom.

2021_06_18_52a.png

(Vratko and Pravoslav would joke later that Pravoslav should have arrived at Ostrihom first, and Vratko should have been the one to face the Magyar rebels. The results might have been markedly different and a lot smoother!)

Still, Ctibor had little left with which to contest the White Croats’ claim to Berehovo, and was grudgingly forced to a peace toward the end of the year 6529. The title of the Hrabě of Berehovo went to Prohor’s and Suzana’s young son, Vladimír Prohorić.

2021_06_18_55a.png
2021_06_18_56a.png

Word of Jakub’s victories in Asia Minor and in the Carpathians spread. Glory and honour attended his kin, as became evident when Jakub received a most auspicious visitor later that month.

Two men on the riper side of middle age appeared in the high hall at Olomouc Castle, conducted there by a sizeable retinue. The comitatus they led were all of the severan type, with a few Englishmen as well beside them: tall, muscular, bold, ruddy of face and blue of eye, with long, carefully-combed and -braided beards and long, well-washed red or blond hair. But the two leaders themselves were of a very different build and complexion.

Swarthy and wiry, the two men had carefully-trimmed beards, both black as ravens’ wings, and prominent, thick brows to match. Their noses were graceful, slender and straight, they had mesmerising dark brown eyes, and possessed lips that, though thin, were nonetheless sensuous and expressive, though they kept whatever emotions lay behind them firmly under check. Their entrance caused something of a flutter among the court ladies: even though they were no longer young men, nonetheless their darkly sinuous presence was well-favoured by the heterosexual female eye. Even Queen Eirēnē, strait-laced as she was, found her face flushing a bit.

Jakub greeted them heartily.

‘In Christ’s name welcome, gentlemen! Welcome indeed! You’ve brought quite a party with you. Tell me, what brings you this day to Olomouc?’

The two men exchanged a quick glance, before the elder of the two spoke up. He had an accent that kept itself forward on the tongue, lending the vowels something of a musical lilt.

‘God greet you and keep you, O Righteous King of the Moravian. I am Nikoloz Orbeliani, son of Orbeli the Blind, and Foringi of the Varangian Guard: the personal bodyguards of Emperor Staurikios. This is my brother, Ashot. We pray your Majesty’s good health and fortune, and we congratulate you, for we hear not only that you have been of service to the Emperor in putting down a revolt, but also that you have chastened the Magyar and continue to spread the true Faith eastward.’

‘I thank both of you, gentlemen. But the Varangians are mostly Swedes and Danes and Northmen, are they not? I doubt you hail from those chilly climes. From what land have you fared?’

‘My brother and I are Svani – we belong to the Kartvelian people. We live south of the Caucasus Mountains in Asia.’

‘Splendid! One of the elder Christian kingdoms!’ Jakub clapped his hands together. ‘You are both most welcome here. Is there anything that I can do for you?’

Again the two men exchanged a look, and Nikoloz gave a nod to Ashot. The younger of the two brothers then said: ‘O King, I have come in search of a wife. I had heard that one of your daughters has just come of age, and though it may be bold of me to say so, would you permit the two of us to become better acquainted?’

Jakub, keen diplomat that he was, wasn’t about to turn down a request like that. And so he arranged the interview between Ashot Orbeliani and his youngest daughter, Rachel. The two of them talked together for hours, and when Rachel came back to him it was with a high look of satisfaction in her eyes.

‘I think I like him well enough, Father,’ Rachel told him. ‘He is kind and well-spoken, and… well…’ Rachel flushed bright pink. She was no more immune from the allure of Georgian masculinity than any of the other Moravian ladies in attendance. ‘Of course, there is also the connexion to the Varangians to consider. I should be quite content to be the wife of a fighting man, I assure you.’

2021_06_18_48a.png
2021_06_18_49b.png

‘Yes, I know you would,’ Jakub smiled. His daughter was indeed a keen military mind herself, though as a woman her options in that direction were rather limited. She saw an opportunity here that she could not justly pass up. ‘Very well—he is a little on the older side for you; I daresay he’s roughly my age. But if that is no objection to you, then…’

‘No indeed, Father,’ Rachel told him. ‘I want him.’

And so it was agreed. The nuptials took place in the Cathedral of Saint Gorazd, and Rachel departed together with her elder groom and the rest of the Varangians once their business was concluded. Jakub had just seen them off when one of the maidservants cried out to him:

‘Lord Kráľ, come quickly. It’s the Queen—she’s had a fall.’

Jakub rushed inside with barely decent haste, and the maid directed him to Eirēnē’s room and bed, where her attendants had borne her when it came clear she could not walk on her own. Eirēnē looked shaken… and there was a far-off look in her eyes that Jakub did not like at all. He went to his wife’s side and clasped her hand in his.

‘Eirēnē… are you alright?’ he asked.

‘My legs aren’t obeying me,’ the Macedonian woman said grimly. ‘I don’t hurt anywhere, but I get the feeling somehow that I’m not going to be able to walk again in this life.’

There was a finality in her tone that struck at Jakub’s heart. ‘Dear one… what are you saying?’

Eirēnē smiled sadly. ‘When a mare’s legs give out she isn’t long for this world.’

‘Don’t… don’t say that! You’re younger than I am. Stronger. You can’t…’

Eirēnē lay a finger on her husband’s lips. ‘Jakub… I have had a good life. No regrets at all. What woman born to my state can boast that she has been the queen-consort of a splendid country like this one? And what woman could have asked for a gentler, sweeter, more affectionate companion in this life?’

‘That’s just what I would have said of you,’ Jakub told her. His eyes clouded and stung, and he felt a bead of salt-moisture slide down his face. ‘You have always been there for me, always keeping me steady on my feet. Once you’re gone… oh, dear one, who will wallop me as soundly at chess as you do?’

Eirēnē shook her head and wiped her husband’s cheek. ‘You will manage. You always have – you are the Black Lion, possessed of a lion’s heart. Dear… I will wait for you, wherever I end up. Don’t feel you have to rush, though. We will see each other again. And I’m sure there will be chessboards enough, and time, in the kingdom to come.’

Her saying so proved too much for Jakub to bear. His stoic calm failed him. Both eyes now shed tears in earnest, and amply, into the sheets as he knelt at her bedside. Eirēnē traced her fingers through her husband’s long dark hair, savouring now as she had seldom done so in life the moments of touch that she now knew to be slipping like the last grains of sand through an hourglass. And thus the royal couple said their farewells.

Eirēnē passed peacefully from the earthly life on the thirteenth of November. She and Jakub had by then already said their farewells and parted fondly from each other. As Jakub saw her casket close and lower into the earth into which he too would one day sink, he tossed upon her grave several roses that he had bought from her home country. The king would not marry again.

2021_06_18_54a.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Those random letter-exchange events make very little sense to me. Ctibor, for example, hated Jakub's guts (and for good reason), and it was clear from all of the insulting epithets he used for Jakub. But evidently Jakub was a smooth enough talker to get polite replies out of Ctibor not only once but twice! And with the opinionwise positively-inclined Leopold, on the other hand... he just kind of fell on his face. Maybe there should be some kind of opinion threshold for those letter-exchange events...

Yeah, they’re pretty wonky. Near as I can tell it seems that they trigger automatically if your character has a diplomacy focus/lifestyle, but I have no idea what logic - if any - is used when picking who your pen pal will be.

As for the available responses, I want to say that the choice between talking about stuff you’re good at vs. stuff the other character is good at comes down to a question of the other character’s personality? But honestly, one time will playing in the HRE I had this letter chain trigger three times in a row with the same Prince Bishop of Friuli, and I chose to talk about stuff that he liked each time - he liked it the first two times, and then lambasted me for being a flatterer the third time around. Sooo maybe there’s just no rhyme or reason to it whatsoever tbh.

Reactions:
Was there ever a game play reason for marrying Bohodor the younger and Blazena, or was that pure roleplay?

Short answer: the gameplay reason was that I made a mistake. I was looking for good stat matches for Bohodar the younger and not checking the dynasties. I clicked through without seeing the relation warning at the bottom. And then if I broke the betrothal I was looking at a -60 relations hit from all members of my dynasty, so I decided to run with it.

Narration-wise, I tried to think up a good reason why the two of them would get engaged. I figured: Anglo-Saxon England and Ireland were pretty lax about consanguinity prior to the arrival of Christianity, so putting the idea in Hilda's mind seemed natural.

Reactions:
Book Three Chapter Nine
NINE
Burial of a Child
26 March 1023 – 25 June 1025

As hard as Jakub had taken it when his constant support, companion and confidant Eirēnē had died, the King of Moravia was at least somewhat emotionally prepared for it when it happened. The same could not be said of an event which he had no reason to foresee.

Ashot Orbeliani, in a letter profuse in its apologies and condolences, sent word to Moravia from the City that his wife Rachel, Jakub’s daughter, had died in childbirth—not a year and a half after their marriage. She had been only nineteen years of age.

There was nothing that Jakub could object to in the treatment of his daughter; she had received every possible attention and care from a husband who genuinely did care about her. The anguish that cried out from every line of Ashot’s letter to him was plain enough… but it didn’t match the anguish that her father now felt over her death, which came as suddenly and as painfully as an unexpected assassin’s stab out of the dark. This grief weighed heavier on his soul, and this weight also took its toll upon his body and the balance of his humours.

2021_06_18_61a.png
2021_06_18_62a.png

Jakub fell into a grey and overcast mood over the death of his daughter. He rarely spoke to anyone. The change was much to be noticed, in a king who was wont to be agreeable and sociable with his subordinates and with folk in general; and his plight provoked a great deal of sympathy among his vassals and court.

Meon espos,’ Dolz had told Eustach, ‘of course you must attend your father. He needs you now more than ever.’

‘But Dosie—’

Dolz shook her head bracingly. ‘It is your father who needs you now. I can care for Dosie.’

Their young daughter approached her father, who knelt to receive her hands. The nine-year-old looked very seriously into her father’s eyes and said: ‘I understand, ocko. Dedo is important, and he is old, and he needs your support. Of course you must give it to him.’

2021_06_18_67a.png

Eustach hugged his self-effacing young daughter tightly. ‘I’ll be with you soon, alright?’

Theodosie gave a nod of encouragement, then stepped back to take her mother’s hand. Dolz made as if she wished to say something else, thought better of it, shook her head and gave her husband an amiable shoo-ing motion. Eustach took his graceful leave, but Dolz found she couldn’t help but watch and admire her husband’s retreating back with a wifely interest that had lingered in her long, but now found itself stirring again to strength.

And so Eustach took charge of the administration in his father’s final years. Of the few people Jakub admitted to his presence, Pretty-Boy Ivan was the most frequent and, in Eustach’s view, most helpful to Jakub’s mood. The two of them went for long walks in the city and talked and chatted about various things, and the careful administrator in Jakub’s younger son couldn’t help but notice their scrips were considerably leaner and lighter on their return than they had been going out. Eustach wasn’t going to begrudge him the coin, though.

2021_06_18_63a.png
2021_06_18_64a.png

There was another raid on the northern border, this time from Anastazja of Lower Silesia. Broad swathes of countryside around Hradec were put to the torch, and everything not bolted down that had worth was pilfered by the ravening heathen Silesians. When Hrabě Markvart Přemyslovec came to plead his case, Eustach found that he also could not begrudge the man the coin needed to help restore the Bohemian march.

And once again the men of Moravia were called to war by the Nikaian despot to whom his sister Rebeka was related by marriage, and again the troops were called forth and sent out.

2021_06_18_60a.png

Princ Eustach,’ said Knieža Nitrabor of Upper Silesia, arriving at the head of a quincunx composed of himself, Prohor Mutimírić, the young Vladimír Prohorić, the burgomaster Jiři and Pretty-Boy Ivan, ‘may we be admitted to see his Majesty?’

Eustach was hesitant. ‘My father is not in the proper state of health to receive visitors…’

‘That’s quite alright, quite alright,’ the one-eyed and bushy-bearded knieža said thoughtfully. ‘You may handle our purpose here and inform the King of it when it is convenient. We are here merely to present an offer of coin, to be used for the purposes of prosecuting the war in Nikaia, in token of the glory that attended upon his Majesty the past time he—and you—fought there. May this modest contribution bring us similar fame.’

2021_06_18_65a.png
2021_06_18_66a.png

Eustach took the coin and thanked the noblemen who had brought it, and the five of them turned to leave. This war, however, would bring no glory to Moravia whatever—Despotēs Gennadios died suddenly, and the rebellion against his rule was left unresolved. And as it turned out, Eirēnē’s words proved prophetic. She did not have to wait long for her husband to join her. He reposed in relative peace at the age of sixty-six, and was buried in a grave next to that of his loyal and supportive wife.

And now it was Eustach’s turn to make the journey to Velehrad, to receive the chrism and to be vested with the emblems of office. He did not leave for that city in the best of moods, having lost both of his parents in such a short space of time. But having already filled in for most of the duties of a king in his father’s waning years, Eustach was anointed, sceptred, mantled and crowned in full confidence that his rule would be an effective and resourceful one.

2021_06_18_69a.png

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
While he was neither a great conqueror nor a radical reformer, Jakub was exactly the sort of man the Kingdom needed after the previous few tumultuous reigns, and he took command of the ship with a steady and measured hand, in spite of his personal life being riddles with tragedy.

Still, maybe Morava’s attention has been turned towards the Aegean for too long, with how bold the pagan raiders are getting. Hopefully Eustace can shore up the frontier a bit to stop their inroads.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Interlude Seven
INTERLUDE VII.
A Burned Foundation
22 November 2020

7496541230.jpg

Živana Biľaková’s eyes reflected the candlelight as she crossed the sand with the butt-end of her lit taper, and then stood it at the crux. She stood for a moment and watched the candle flicker for a moment, before going up to receive Father Timofei’s blessing at the end of Divine Liturgy.

Slava ťebe, Bože,
slava ťebe, Bože,
slava ťebe, Bože …

Timofei gave Živana a broad grin beneath his long grey beard, and a nod of his head in greeting, as she came up to kiss the cross. Now was the time to go downstairs into the basement of the old wooden kirk for the fellowship meal and tea.

Živana took off her plain white shawl that she wore in the nave as she descended the stairs, and then went to pour herself a cup of hot tea from the samovar. She exhaled a breath of pleasure as she sipped the beverage. Coming to Chust like this was for her, in a very real sense, coming home. She didn’t do so often on the weekends, what with classes and schoolwork, but she’d made an exception in this case.

samovars.jpg

Her eyes lit on a stone with a Slavonic-language plaque upon it, at the corner of the wall – part of the foundation. She’d been going to the Church of Saint Peter and of Saint Paul in Chust since she was a little girl, but she hadn’t really taken notice of that stone until now. It seemed to have been charred and smashed at one point, and though the cracks had been filled with mortar since, the charring was still there. Fixed to that burnt foundation stone was the plaque, which read:

ЦЕРКВА СЯТЫХ ПЕТРА І ПАВЛА
ПОСТРОЄН НА МЕСТЕ ЦЕРКВИ
РОЗБУНТОШЕНОЙ КОРОЛЕМ ЕВСТАХОМ АЧЕЙ ҂ЅФМ Р.С.
В ҂ЅЦѮИ Р.С. ПУД ЗАСТУПОМ КОРОЛЯ РОБЕРТА РЫХНОВСКОГО
СПАСИ И СОХРАНИ

The Church of Saints Peter and Paul
Constructed on the site of a church
Razed to the ground by King Eustach around 6540 R.S.
In 6968 R.S. under the patronage of King Róbert Rychnovský

Bless and Save ☦​

She contemplated the plaque for awhile, wondering if she was mistaken about what it read. She was still looking at it when Father Timofei came down to bless the food and drink and let everyone fill their plates for the fellowship meal. Father Timofei then approached Živana.

‘And how’s the college girl? Olomouc treating you well? Getting good marks in all your classes?’

‘Good to see you, Father,’ Živana spoke warmly. ‘I’m doing well enough, and I can’t complain too much about my grades.’

‘And how’s old Vasilko?’

Dedko’s healthy and active. And still as stubborn as a mule,’ Živana said fondly.

‘Good, good. Stubbornness is a blessing when you come to be that age. Your parents and I pray for both you and Vasilii during every Liturgy. Are you making it to church over there?’

‘I attend Liturgy at USMA chapel every Sunday. I don’t always make it to Vigil.’

‘Ahh,’ Father Timofei nodded understandingly. ‘Make an effort to go to those when you can, Živka. But remember you are there to study, and if you are studying hard and gaining the knowledge you need for life—then that too is doing God’s work. Have you made any friends? Any boyfriends?’

Živana nearly spewed a mouthful of her tea. ‘Friends, yes. Boyfriend, no. I’ve only been studying there for one semester, Father Timofei! And I’m not… not a city girl that way!’

Father Timofei nodded approvingly. ‘Sensible of you. I’ll caution you as I did before you left: be watchful and chaste; don’t get drunk at parties. If a nice boy comes to you, though, there’s no need to turn down the possibility of love… in modesty. Just don’t give him cause to think you’re easy.’

The conversation was driving too close to Awkwardsville for Živana’s comfort. She would go to Confession, but when she wasn’t before the icon of the Theotokos, she wasn’t particularly comfortable talking with Father Timofei about her (at this point nonexistent) love life. She changed the subject. ‘Father, could you tell me a bit about this plaque over here? It says the church was built in the 1400s?’

‘1459,’ Timofei nodded. ‘The money for the church was put up by Kráľ Róbert.’

‘But it was built on the site of a church that was… burned down by King Eustach? Am I reading that right?’

Timofei nodded again, this time a bit more sadly. ‘Yup. You’re reading it right.’

Živana shook her head slowly. ‘How is that possible? I thought Kráľ Eustach was renowned for his patronage of the Church! How could he have committed such a sacrilege?’

49122162987_28178ddab2_o.jpg

medieval fortress in Chust

‘The man called staviteľ chrámu may have built a church on every bend in the Morava Valley, but he didn’t do particularly well by the Carpathians. The old-style chronicles do record the fact: his armies burned Chust right to the ground in the eleventh century, and they made off with whatever they could carry. The foundation of the church they burned became the cornerstone of our Petropavlovsk Church. There’s something very Gospel of Saint Mark about that twist of fate, I’d say. But you’re studying history down there in Olomouc?’

‘A bit,’ Živana answered. ‘I’m taking a Moravian mediæval history class this term.’

‘Mm,’ Timofei folded his hands in front of him. ‘The thing you have to remember is that historical figures are human, too. They make mistakes. They get their hands dirty. Saint Olga of Kiev, before her conversion, committed what we would now think of as a war crime against the Drevlyane, when she burned down the city of Iskorosten in vengeance for the death of her husband. But she repented as she turned to Christ. That is a journey we must all make, even after our baptism.’

‘And did Eustach repent?’ asked Živana.

‘I would like to think so,’ Timofei opined. ‘He may have burned down the church here. But he later made generous gifts to the clergy in reparation. He founded a number of churches – that’s how he got his nickname. Saint Philip and Saint James in Uničov is one I know of. The Cathedral of the Holy Dormition in Spytihněv is another. Saint Catherine’s in Chrudim?’ Father Timofei waggled a doubtful hand. ‘Maybe. Regardless of whether it’s his, it’s not as famous as the riverside temples he built, though.’

‘But did he do it for his own glory?’ asked Živana. ‘Or for the glory of God?’

Timofei shrugged and smiled wryly. ‘I have no idea. I wasn’t his confessor, I’m afraid. You may not believe it, decrepit old coot that I am, but he was a bit before my time.’

That got a laugh out of Živana. Timofei’s self-deprecating look turned thoughtful.

‘The monastic histories show two sides to Eustach. There’s one side that’s humble, contrite, soft-spoken, God-loving. This is the side that not only built churches, but released prisoners, forgave rebels, and extended grace to his enemies, like Čestislava Pavelková. And then there’s… another side. Eustach was a man of dark and violent passions: burning perverse lusts, attraction to power, a desire to leave his mark on the world. Which side won out? Who can know, a thousand years later? But don’t we all have two such sides to us? Don’t we all have such a struggle to overcome? Doesn’t that line cut through every human heart?’

Živana smiled slightly. ‘So he was human, is what you’re saying.’

Timofei laid a pastoral hand on the young woman’s shoulder. ‘That he was. That’s exactly right.’

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
While he was neither a great conqueror nor a radical reformer, Jakub was exactly the sort of man the Kingdom needed after the previous few tumultuous reigns, and he took command of the ship with a steady and measured hand, in spite of his personal life being riddles with tragedy.

Still, maybe Morava’s attention has been turned towards the Aegean for too long, with how bold the pagan raiders are getting. Hopefully Eustace can shore up the frontier a bit to stop their inroads.

Yeah, strategically something needs to be done about that northern border. Let's just say that it continues to be a problem for a considerable amount of time. :)

Reactions:
I have just started, but I am bowled over by the attention to detail. My favorite is presenting the keys to the duchess. I do not know how much is careful research and how much is artistic license, but I felt like that I was in medieval Moravia. Thank you for this wonderful work.

• 2Love
Reactions:
I have just started, but I am bowled over by the attention to detail. My favorite is presenting the keys to the duchess. I do not know how much is careful research and how much is artistic license, but I felt like that I was in medieval Moravia. Thank you for this wonderful work.

'Felt like you were in medieval Moravia' - that's the highest praise I can think of, @Midnite Duke. I am glad you're enjoying it and overjoyed to have you onboard! (As to how much is research and how much is licence, I'd like to hope I strike a balance between the two. But if it really does feel that immersive, I guess I must be doing something right!)

• 1Like
Reactions:
The wolf and boar hunts were magnificent. The sorrow of the stillborn child. Thank you

(Is it ok to make comments on year-old writings or would you rather that I wait until I catch up?)

Thank you, sir! Those were some good moments - and writing that first part from the wolf's perspective was loads of fun.

Also, there's no statute of limitations (yet) on comments on this AAR; I'm happy to get comments from the early chapters, too!

The two oldest are Irish twins. It seems that the Duchess was always with child.

Radko and Viera, you mean? Yeah, it does seem that way. Mechthild and Bohodar were pretty busy those first few years.

Not all of my rulers had families that large, but several of them were quite prolific.

Reactions:
Jakub's reign was marked by constants. Be it his general demeanour, fending off Slavic raiders or anything else. You knew what you'd have to expect when dealing with him.

Eustach seems to be different, a man of many facets. And unlike Radomír, he doesn't seem to take a turn to the worse. Interesting times ahead for Moravia.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Post 45, do you mind enlarging on the curveball that the game threw at you for Hilda to scheme her sister-in-law with her son or will all be made clear shortly for the slow like me. I am not buying inheritance or red herring. I wonder how many people left the old world as brother/sister or other relative and arrived in the new world as husband/wife. Thank you for your wonderful work.

Reactions:
Jakub's reign was marked by constants. Be it his general demeanour, fending off Slavic raiders or anything else. You knew what you'd have to expect when dealing with him.

Eustach seems to be different, a man of many facets. And unlike Radomír, he doesn't seem to take a turn to the worse. Interesting times ahead for Moravia.

Eustach gets off to a rough start. He improves in some ways, though.

Bohodar and wife did like their boar hunts.

Aye. Particularly the unproductive ones!

Post 45, do you mind enlarging on the curveball that the game threw at you for Hilda to scheme her sister-in-law with her son or will all be made clear shortly for the slow like me. I am not buying inheritance or red herring. I wonder how many people left the old world as brother/sister or other relative and arrived in the new world as husband/wife. Thank you for your wonderful work.

So... that was my fault, not Hilda's. Here's how it went in-game.

I tried finding a spouse for Bohodar the younger when he was 3. The spouse-finder menu came up and I chose a girl at age 13 near the top with good stats and the 'bright' inheritable trait, and I clicked her through. Not noticing that she was both a.) in my court, and b.) in my dynasty.

But then it was too late to do anything about it. If I tried breaking the betrothal at that point, I stood to take a -60 relations hit with all members of my dynasty (-30 for Bohodar, -30 for Blazena). So I basically just ran with it, inbreeding risk and all.

Hilda's plot to secure her as a spouse for Bohodar was my way of RPing that mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: