• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No rest for the weary, to be sure. But Jean has found himself in good hands it would seem.

Lord E: ...“Don’t worry, we didn’t open them… But moving around with a letter in Southern-France with that seal isn’t the cleverest thing to do. I think there are many people that would want to get their hands on that letter...I am certain the Cardinal would…”

no doubt, the Cardinal would... :)

Lord E:
...“I think it is time we leave this place.”

aye, pick your battles wisely ! ! ;)

Lord E:
...“..Get dressed quickly young man or else you will be dead in twenty minutes…”

i think that is called a motivational speech ! ! :D

Lord E: ..“..but for now I guess we can agree that you are better off with us than those bastards the Cardinal sent to collect you.”

aye, much better off ! ! :D

magnificent update ! !
:cool:

Graymane: Gosh I'm getting old =( Those fonts are so small I can't really read them.

i have the same problem. i just highlight them ! !

Veldmaarschalk: I always wonder, was Richellieu really a 'bad' man...

the way he is portrayed, you would think that he was trying to introduce the Inquisition to France ! ! :eek:

coz1: ...But Jean has found himself in good hands it would seem.

so true ! ! also, he gets the horse his father promised him, as well as a ride to Bordeaux ! ! :D

Graymane Hmm. . I will try using a larger size on the font in the next update then, could you please tell me if you can read it then?

Snake IV Thanks. I think it works well because it is easier to show who is talking so I am glad you like it as well :)

Veldmaarschalk Yeah, that is something I have also thought about… And while I have showed some of his darker sides I hope to get to show other sides of him as well, so I hope I can do that and show that he is actually a man with several sides.

stnylan Yeah, and more shocks up next. Imagine his horrors when he understands who George Villiers really is… I guess most of you know his title and more famous name, but Jean doesn’t yet.
As for the cardinal I think he had several enemies who actually viewed him as much worse than Dumas ever showed him in his writings

coz1 No rest indeed, and I think he was lucky meting the man he was going to meet and actually get his life saved by him .

J. Passepartout Well there are some that would say that Villiers weren’t the greatest man either… But I think he is an interesting character, and I think he will play a role in the story also.
Well not like Jean had any decisions actually, but yes he picked the right guys ;)

GhostWriter Glad you liked the update, and as you say motivation is good… Jean is indeed in good hands, and as for your eyes I hope the next update will be easier to read. Please tell my if using a larger size is better and easier to read

All Thanks for all comments. As you have seen Jean has been tossed into the huge world very quickly and he have more shocks coming up next… Imagine his feelings when he understands who George Villiers really is…

Also I have made the update in a bigger size so that is should be easier to read, so please tell me if it is better to read now.

New update coming up soon…

braunhogenbergbourdeauxsw2.jpg

6th of April 1625
Bordeaux, France

Jean was enjoying the warmth from the fire. The fire sent rays of light into the room and also the heath filled the room and made sure the men once again regain their heath. It had been a cold ride and the temperature was cold outside so the men were all cold, and now that they were inside they were all glad to sit by the fire.

Taking a sip from his glass of wine Jean could feel the wine aided in warming his body, and as he slowly regained feelings in his fingers he felt much better, although his wound still hurt a little.

As the door cracked open all the men turned their attention to the door, outside it was dark and they all felt the cold wind and air as it entered the room before the door was closed. Standing in the door was the Baron, nodding to all the men and then he walked towards Jean and sat down together with him.

”Now young Jean, we will stay here for the night so now we can talk. But maybe you will give me my letter first?”

Embarrassed because he had forgotten about the letter to the Baron Jean blushes and then nods while handing the Baron the letter. The Baron opens the letter and quickly reads it before smiling.

”Nothing new going on with your father I see. He asks I take care off you, and I think we can say that so far I have done well don’t you agree?”

“Certainly, monsieur Baron, I must thank you for saving my life…”

”As I said it seems I have a certain touch for saving men of your family, but no point in ending a good tradition don’t you agree… he he

Well I am afraid I have not done this properly before…

Men this is Jean de Nogaret, son of Francois de Nogaret an old friend of mine. From this day Jean is a member of my company and will fight with us for His Majesty and for the glory of France.”

As the Baron raises his glass all the other men does the same and they all salutes first the King, then they all turn to Jean and welcomes him to their company.

”Well Jean there is some more formalities to take care off, I guess I should do this properly.

I the Baron Rene de Coligny have the pleasure of welcoming Jean de Nogaret to my company.”

The Baron hands Jean a new sword. A much better than the one he had lost fighting with the bandits, this one had a clear and strong blade and was very sharp, and also the Baron hands him the cloak of the company, the cloak with the French lilies. The Baron then smiles

“I thank you monsieur Baron, I will do my best in the service of His Majesty and monsieur.”

”I am sure you will Jean. But now we have more important matters to discuss…

Although I will not hold anything against you I feel I need to know why you are walking around France with a letter from George Villiers?”

“George Villiers? I got the letter form the old mercenary in my village, old Charles… He asked if I could take it to Bordeaux to a friend of his a certain monsieur Dufour…”

” Dufour you say…

It seems young Jean that you have managed to get caught in the politics of Kings and ministers. You ask who George Villiers is, this I can tell you, but first you must promise to deliver that letter to Dufour, I will go with you and together I think we shall try to get to the bottom of this. Dufour will speak one way or another...”

“Yes… yes of course monsieur Baron”

”Good... Now I think it is time I tell you more about George Villiers and Cardinal Richelieu. They are both powerful men, although in different countries and many would say they are natural enemies…

The Cardinal as you know is the King’s First Minister, but what you might not know is that the Cardinal is actually the man that controls France. The Cardinal is the power behind the throne. He knows everything, he employs personal guards, agents and people working for him all over France and there is nothing that happens that the Cardinal doesn’t know. There are some Catholics who are not happy about the Cardinal after he sided with the Swiss against the Pope in a conflict last year, but all in all the Cardinal is doing what he thinks is the best for France and mostly the Cardinal is correct…

But some of the men he employs, they are not always doing the correct thing, and the man we decided not to meet this morning, the captain of his guard is one of them. It is not just that the man is bastard, showing up and then disappearing just as fast as he came… No one really knows him, but often he leaves a trail of death and grief behind when he disappears…We have had our clashes and I am proud that say that I gave him the scar that covers his right hand. Although he dislikes me, and I am not very found of him I still feel it was worth it, I just have to watch my back a little better… Because I am confident he wants revenge.

But enough about that, the captain is not dangerous as long as you don’t have him cornered, but then he is like a snake going straight for the kill. Remember this Jean never corner him or be prepared to fight for your life.

But I don’t think we have to fear him at the moment…

Now George Villiers…

Have you ever heard about James or Charles of England?”

“James is the King of England, isn’t he?”

”Was… he died in late March. Charles, his son was crowned on the 27th of March, so he is now the English King.”

“But monsieur Baron what has all this to do with this Villiers character?”

”Well Jean have you ever been told about the English First Minister, the Duke of Buckingham?

Or as he is also know… George Villiers…”

“WHAT?

Have I been carrying a letter from the English across France?”

”Not just any English, Jean, but THE English. Buckingham is for England what Richelieu is for France… And you are carrying his letter. Now do you understand why the Cardinal wants your letter?”

“Y…y…yes…”

”I think you understand the basic behind all this now and the problems that this might have caused.
Now are you ready? I think it is time we go and visit monsieur Dufour and get to know more about Buckingham’s letter…”

Now what business would the Cardinal have with England? An alliance perhaps? This is getting interesting quickly!

Good that Jean has some protection and now is among the company.

nice AAR.. I am certainly enjoying this and I too wonder what hath London to do with Paris? (to paraphrase one of the ancient church fathers)

I rather think Jean does well to be at least semi-coherent there at the end.

What meddling does England do I wonder?

coz1 Yes, Jean is in good hands now.
Well the Cardinal might have something to do with England, but also England is a large protestant nation so I think they are people in France who want to get aid from England against the cardinal…

J. Passepartout Yes, they first thought of it I think. But it never worked out and instead they went into war against each other, although the Duke didn’t get much money from parliament so it ended pretty bad… And the cardinal won

kingmbutu Thank you, glad to see you enjoy it. Well London and Paris always have something to do with each other I guess… friends or enemies, well that remains to be seen

stnylan Well Jean is in a situation where he has to learn quickly and he is slowly understand the politics of the world. More about England’s meddling coming soon. Our friends go to deliver a certain letter…

All Thanks for your support. There is much going on, and I hope to make things a little more clear soon, but first our friends walk to deliver a letter and then well who knows what happens, but remember there are more people out there looking for this letter.
Doing the last work on the next update now… Should have it up soon

6th of April 1625
Bordeaux, France

The Baron and Jean had left the men behind at the house were they were staying. Jean could feel the cold wind against his face the moment he opened the door and stepped out into the road on the outside. The Baron was already there, and together they started walking through the streets of Bordeaux. It was dark outside and as both men were wearing dark cloaks they were not very easy to spot for anyone on the inside of a house looking out through a window.

As they walked through the streets they saw few people, it seemed the cold wind and the late hour of day made sure most people were inside. Jean was actually glad they didn’t meet anyone, he had several thoughts going through his head. What he had learned during the last hours had given him much thought and he felt goose bumps on his arms as he thought about whose letter he had been carrying. Although he had heard little about the Duke of Buckingham before he knew enough of the English to know that this wasn’t the best thing he could do for France, also from what the Baron had told him he understood that the Duke wasn’t perhaps the best person to aid, but then again it didn’t seemed like the cardinal, the strong man in France, was the best person to work for either.

Jean let out a heavy breath….

Then he returned to his thoughts and decided that what he was doing now was perhaps the best he could do, working for the King and working for the Baron that seemed like the best way he could serve France at the moment. Looking at the Baron walking some steps in front of him Jean felt glad, at least it seemed like the baron knew what he was doing and Jean knew that this was a man he could trust, and so he promised that this was the man he would serve and trust. Without taking any side in the politics of Kings and Ministers Jean knew he could trust and serve the Baron well.

They turned around yet another corner and then suddenly the Baron halted and quickly pulled Jean with him into a small hallway. There they stood in the dark close to the wall, for anyone passing out in the street the two men in the dark would be impossible to see. The Baron nodded to Jean and then whispered in a low voice.

”Here we are Jean, Monsieur Dufour’s house is the one two houses down the road where you can see the small sign that is over the door…”

“I see it monsieur Baron. Should I go now?”

”We will go together. If he asks I am your father and we have both come to Bordeaux to purchase some new horses to bring back to the village and the castle. Then you can tell him about the request of the old mercenary… Maybe if we are lucky he thinks that we can be trusted and then he will tell us more about this letter and what the Duke wants.”

Jean nodded to signal he had understood and then they walked back into the street. Within a minute they stood outside the door of monsieur Dufour’s house. Jean then knocked on the door three times. They waited for what seemed like forever to Jean, but in reality it was little more than a minute before a woman opened the door.

“We are here to see monsieur Dufour, can we come in please?”

”Yes, please come this way monsieurs… I will tell the monsieur that you have arrived. Can I tell him who you are and your business?”

“You can tell him we have arrived from Charles the mercenary with something that the monsieur wants. He will understand!”

The girl takes the two men into the living room and shows them that they can sit down at the table while they wait, then she leaves and walks into a different room, obviously to tell the monsieur that he had visitors. Looking around the room Jean could see that monsieur Dufour was obviously a man of some wealth. The room was filled with several large and nice chairs, a very large table and several cabinets. Also the walls were filled with some pictures of what Jean thought might be Dufour and probably his family.

After they had looked around the room for some minutes and the girl had given them two glasses and some wine a man entered the room. Nodding to the two of them he eyed them very closely before opening his mouth.

”Welcome monsieurs. I understand that you have arrived with something for me from monsieur Charles?"

“Yes… the old mercenary heard that we were going to Bordeaux and being a good friend of my son he asked if he could take a letter to you.”

”A letter you say?”

“Yes, monsieur I have it here…”

Jean handed the man the letter and noticing his eyes when he saw the seal on the letter Jean knew that Dufour knew who had sent the letter and perhaps also he had knowledge about the what the letters said.

”I must thank you monsieur. I have awaited this letter…

I presume old Charles is healthy? Also I guess you both know and understand the importance of our cause. He would never give the letter to someone who he didn’t trust."

“Oh yes, monsieur he was healthy when we left… And I do think Charles thinks we can be trusted. I mean why would he give us this important letter if we can’t be trusted?”

”You speak wise words monsieur. I take it you and your son understands the importance of getting word of this letter to La Rochelle.

Now that the red devil has started his campaign against our brothers in faith it is important that we all stand united. The knowledge that our brothers in the north support us will greatly strengthen our cause and I am sure our brothers will understand now the great importance of standing up to the devil and his henchmen… “

”Wise words monsieur…”

”Come monsieur let us see what our brother in faith in England writes. Pray the English King will send us more aid and material so that we can be strengthened in our fight against the red devil. Now let us see…”

Just as the man was to open the letter a young man, probably about Jean’s age bursts into the room.

"Father, they are here... they are in the city. I have seen them...."

”Who my son, who are here?”

”The red devils… they are in the city. The one you talked about is commanding them, the red devil with the scar!”

Just as the young man stopped speaking a heavy knock on the door could be heard.

Gulp! It is at least good that the letter arrived. Perhaps it has some needed info that will help them get out of this circumstance. Nice writing, Lord E. I am really enjoying this. :)

Uh-oh, it appears while trying to be wily they have managed to get themselves caught in something. Of course, if they play their hands right it could be to their advantage, could further their deception and allow them deeper into this conspiracy.

La Rochelle? I am getting Huegenot overtones now.

Lord E: ...Without taking any side in the politics of Kings and Ministers Jean knew he could trust and serve the Baron well.

easier said than done ? ? :D

Lord E:
...”We will go together. If he asks I am your fatherMaybe if we are lucky he thinks that we can be trusted and then he will tell us more about this letter and what the Duke wants.”

it seems to me that the fewer who know the contents of that letter, the less likely it is that the Cardinal will learn of those contents ! ! :rolleyes:

Lord E: ...”...I presume old Charles is healthy? Also I guess you both know and understand the importance of our cause..."

Dufour is a Huegenot. and, Our Cardinal wishes death to all Huegenot's. this is beginning to make sense.

Lord E: ...”The red devils… they are in the city. The one you talked about is commanding them, the red devil with the scar!”...Just as the young man stopped speaking a heavy knock on the door could be heard.

hmmm. speaking of the devil ! ! :rofl:

magnificent updates ! !
:cool:

Lord E,

Interesting story! Looking forward to more.

I must say that, having read several tales (usually by highly commendable authors) of the story-style and type-style of this one, I find yours immenently more readable and pleasureable to read because you space your lines as you do! I don't like it when I have to go get my magnifying glass for my old, tired eyes. :D

Rensslaer

coz1 Thanks, glad you are enjoying the story. Well this letter is getting them into a lot of trouble it seems….

stnylan Huguenots… I guess we can say you hit bull’s eye there.

They are getting into trouble because of this letter it seems, they will play along I think, but it is only a matter of time before the cardinal’s men arrives.

GhostWriter Indeed, it is easier said than done to stay out of politics, something Jean is learning the hard way.
Indeed he is Huguenot, and that will get them into some trouble next…
Glad you enjoyed the update

Rensslaer Thanks. I try to make the story easy to read and follow, so I am glad to hear that I have been able to succeed and make it easy to read for your eyes :)

J. Passepartout Well the cardinal is in Paris, but it might indeed be his men…

All Well our heroes are in some trouble now, and soon they will be in a battle… This letter sure is giving them a lot of trouble, and it hasn’t even been opened yet.
New update up next.

6th of April 1625
Bordeaux, France

Just as the young man stopped speaking a heavy knock on the door could be heard.

The four men inside the room all looked at each other. Jean could feel that he was scared, and he grabbed his sword with his right arm ready to pull it forward should it be needed. Watching the Baron he could see that although the Baron seemed calm also he had a drop of sweat on his head and that he was slowly moving his left hand towards his pistol.

Monsieur Dufour also seemed to be thinking of the worst because he was nodding to his son and just moments later the boy had opened one of the cabinets and pull out several pistols and two swords. Dufour grabbed some of the weapons, and signalled to Jean and the Baron that they could take some if they needed. The Baron grabbed yet another pistol and gave one to Jean. Then Dufour signalled to the girl that she should go and open the door.

As the four men stood inside the living room they were all making sure they had a clear shot to the door. Dufour and his son had turned the table on the side and now they were hiding behind it with the pistols at the ready. The Baron stood in the door at the left side of the room, the one leading to the stairs to the second floor and to the kitchen. Signalling to Jean that he should stand with him Jean moved to the Baron and both of them therefore had a way of retreat should it be necessary. The Baron pointed to the kitchen and Jean could see a door, and then he understood that they might not stand to fight, but that the Baron had a plan.

From the hall they could hear the girl talk to some men on the outside, and then she returned to the room.

”Monsieur there is a couple of men here who want to see you.”

”Did you ask what they wanted?”

”Yes, monsieur. They said that they were on the business of His Em…”

“DUFOUR. WE KNOW YOU ARE IN THERE YOU HUGUENOT SCUM! WE HAVE THE HOUSE SURROUNDED, GIVE UP THE LETTER AND WE WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!”

The Baron had pulled Jean back the moment he heard the voice. Now they were both standing in the dark hall with the stairs. The Baron whispered to Jean.

”It is him… you remember I told you about the man I gave a scar, the cardinal’s captain? I had hoped we wouldn’t get to meet him this soon.”

“Monsieur Baron, what shall we do? Maybe just hand him the letter?”

”No, de Rousselet is not one to allow them to live. He knows, just as we do now, that they are Huguenots, and even Huguenots with contacts in England, that mean they are traitors. And he will certainly kill everyone he finds in this house…”

“But he said he would allow them to live?”

”He is not a man that is ever true to his words. I don’t think it is wise to stay here for much longer… but we can’t allow for the letter to stay here. He is certain to send in some of his men soon, we will probably be able to kill three of four of them when they enter the door… well at least if Dufour and his son know how to use those pistols. When the smoke fills the room there will be a lot going on…

Jean do you think you can grab the letter, it is there on the cabinet on the other side of the room?”

“Yes, monsieur I will get it.”

Jean could see the Baron preparing both his pistols, Jean made sure the one he had got was ready. They could hear the soldiers were breaking through the door now; the men on the outside had obviously kicked it in. They could hear the girl scream as they entered the building and then a shot was fired. Jean could smell the gunpowder as it filled the room, and as he looked towards the entrance he could see the girl slowly fell backwards. Her entire chest was red. Jean knew she was dead.

It was then the first man in red appeared in the door to the living room. Another shot and the room was filled with smoke and more gunpowder as the first soldier fell from a shot from Dufour’s pistol. Then as another soldiers entered the room also the son fired his pistol and the soldier fell dead in the door. Now there were two bodies on the floor, and while Dufour and his son had a clear view towards the door the soldiers trying to enter the room were having problems because of their two dead friends blocking the entrance.

The room was now filled with smoke, and then two more shots were fired. Jean noticed the smoke coming from the Baron’s pistols and as he quickly jumped forwards he could see two more soldiers fell dead. Jean jumped across the room very quickly, several shots was fired from the soldiers on the outside who were now trying to get some cover as well, but not one shot hit Jean. Seconds later he was sitting on the floor close to the cabinet with the letter in his hands.

But now it was getting worse to return to the Baron and the kitchen door. The soldiers had obviously got some cover and a clear view now because they were shooting all the time, this kept Dufour and his son pinned down. But Jean could see Dufour was loading his pistols, and then as he looked towards the Baron he could see that the Baron had one more pistol ready. As their eyes met the Baron nodded.

Jean could see the Baron prepare the pistol, and got it ready. Now also Dufour was ready and quickly he took both of his pistols and fired towards the soldiers. Jean could hear one of them let out a scream of pain, so it seemed Dufour had hit. The smoke in the room was now very thick. Seeing the Baron aim his pistol Jean was ready. As the Baron pulled the trigger the powder caught fire and a shot rang from the pistol, the same second Jean jumped back towards the Baron. He could hear several shots all around him, and as he had almost reached the Baron he could hear Dufour’s son let out a scream of pain. Quickly turning his head he could see the boy had been shot in the shoulder and was bleeding. But Jean only saw it he didn’t react to it the only thing mattering was surviving and getting to the Baron.

The same second Jean reached the Baron, he heard yet another soldier fell from a shot form Dufour’s pistol.

”We need to get out of here now.”

Without waiting for Jean to answer the Baron grabbed Jean into the kitchen. Jean noticed the Baron grabbed a torch and tossed it into a large stable of wood in the corner, it immediately caught fire. Then he kicked open the kitchen door and then fired a pistol before grabbing his sword.

As Jean got out into the clear, cold night he could see that the Baron had already killed one of the soldiers in the backyard and now he was using his sword on the second one. There was one more soldier there and now he ran against Jean, quickly firing the pistol he still had in his hand Jean could see the man fall backwards with blood coming from his chest. Jean felt a little sick, but remembering it had been a question of live or die, he quickly regained his sense.

He had killed his first man.

Turning his head around he could see the second of the Baron’s soldiers fell to the ground, with the Baron’s sword having gone straight through his chest.

”Jean. We must run now!”

The two men run away hearing shots and screams from the house. As they got into the street on the backside they didn’t see any soldiers, it seemed all of them were on the front. Jean and the Baron only continued to run for a long time before they halted to catch their breath.

“Monsieur that was very close…”

”It was too close Jean, way to close. Now we must get back to the men...

At least we have the letter, but that was way too close, we can only hope that de Rousselet doesn’t know that we have the letter. The fire I started should make sure that he will have trouble finding anything in that house…”

“What of the guards we killed on the backside?”

”Yes… well it was them of us. I guess they will blame it on some Huguenots.”

As they had walked they had returned to the house where the rest of the men were. As they walked inside they could see the Baron’s men sit near the fire just as they had done when they two of them had left. Nodding to his men the Baron walked to the fire to regain some feeling in his fingers; following him Jean did the same. The two of them then looked at each other and smiled.

They had survived.

Survived indeed, but only just. That was a little too close for comfort. Might I suggest they, for future sneaking about, take someone with them to watch their backs?