• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Paradox doesn't have an official one yet I think. But there is one (right here) made by @Idhrendur and co.
Thanks, will take a look...

I'll probably do a separate chapter post for the screenshots, and go through them slideshow style. Maybe add the character shots to the individual rulers.

In general, I think this was a pretty good first game. CK3 was a pretty good game on launch, just lacking a little in stuff CK2 had built up over years of expansions. I think the main Ged AAR will continue to be added to every year or so. I'll probably try to do a repeat of Ged's game every so often to see how the game evolves over time etc, and keep that thread going as a discussion for CK3 in general too, since that's what its become.

I also want to do perhaps a stand alone Ged AAR about the frankly, absolutely absurd Isle of Man buffs that the game currently allows. Essentially, that would tie in three things that I want to do: show off the micro nation building tall aspect of the game, have Ged be as dreadful a custom character as possible (as hinted at with experiments on the main thread, and do a CK3 version of Lancaster: The King in the North, which I think could be done very well given how the game has focused more on characters this time...).

Thoughts? In a surprise twist, once the screenshot chapter is done, I'll have finished this AAR recap, which brings my total of completed AARs (that have mostly been killed by game updates and computer crashes) up to 2! Imperial Cheese has but one epilogue left also. What interesting times we live in.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Sounds like a good programme. I’d be interested in that Manx one especially, seeing how much of a nothing they were in CK2.

And Lancaster’s return would be very welcome.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Do both. The Geds of Mann vs The Lancasters of the North. Two ridiculously over-powered dynasties, rich in madness and insanity, in an epic power struggle for dominance of the world, featuring witchcraft, teleportation, bear-based espionage, terrible names and plenty of walking into the sea.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Do both. The Geds of Mann vs The Lancasters of the North. Two ridiculously over-powered dynasties, rich in madness and insanity, in an epic power struggle for dominance of the world, featuring witchcraft, teleportation, bear-based espionage, terrible names and plenty of walking into the sea.

That's actually brilliant. If I can find someone to do multiplayer with me for a day, we'll see what's possible with the customisation options.

I'm thinking Ged's side get the super negative character traits, early and painful deaths, all the diseases and genetic issues, etc etc but the super OP man island with all its power ups, whilst Lancaster gets the super powered genes but has to start surrounded by enemies on really weak and poor land, with Mann right next door.

Possible title: 'Oh Mann! The Battle for the North' or something like that...

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I've already negotiated the first three seasons and a movie deal.

I've already negotiated the first three seasons and a movie deal.

The adaptation probably involves removing all of Ged's negative traits, and both sides eventually joining forces to repeal a foreign invasion...

• 1Like
Reactions:
That was some impressive Irish expansion, with the best of warriors saved for last. Starting a war with the Papacy to get a single province on Sardinia was questionable, but then again, I'm sure the Emperor was getting bored from the lack of challenge in his other wars on top of the usual frustration with unnecessary border gore...

What comes after 1400 would be interesting as you have just one major power with a long Atlantic-facing coastline, so there is unlikely to be much competition for the colonisation of the Americas, unless the massive Irish empire breaks apart. The tricky question is whether this lack of competition would make the process go faster because less military force is required to protect the colonies, or slower because there is less of a rush to take territory before a competing power does. Sometimes regardless of economic or strategic usefulness.

A EUIV continuation would be fun, though Ireland might well end up taking over most of the world by the 1800s, assuming the empire doesn't fall apart which isn't that unlikely of an outcome.

Reactions:
That was some impressive Irish expansion, with the best of warriors saved for last.
Oh yes, CK3 may be more balanced than CK2 but at a certain point, critical mass is achieved. That being said, we never had a truly massive war with a genuine rival since Ireland v England over Wales.
Starting a war with the Papacy to get a single province on Sardinia was questionable, but then again, I'm sure the Emperor was getting bored from the lack of challenge in his other wars on top of the usual frustration with unnecessary border gore...
A bit of 'lets settle this last bit of border gore' and a bit of 'I wonder what a proper big war between two proper big empires would be like?' As it turns out, rather fun and bloody. Makes me wonder what a multiplayer game with three or four big empires would be like...
What comes after 1400 would be interesting as you have just one major power with a long Atlantic-facing coastline, so there is unlikely to be much competition for the colonisation of the Americas, unless the massive Irish empire breaks apart.
I don't think the Empire will have many problems for a while. They have a lot of Europe to colonise as much of it is now empty and abandoned nature. France and Spain need to be repopulated withb Irish settlers, Germany and Denmark are pretty full of people already but the absolutly gigantic gians out east are going to sate the appetite of the population for another century at least.
The tricky question is whether this lack of competition would make the process go faster because less military force is required to protect the colonies, or slower because there is less of a rush to take territory before a competing power does. Sometimes regardless of economic or strategic usefulness.

Well...there's not much reason for us to look west. We have so many resources and trade power that we can deal with the Byzantine (who have a stranglehold on the silk road and far east land trade) on a generally even footing. We have absolutely tons of furs and raw resources to find out east in Scandinavia and eastern Europe, and that's not beginning to count the colonization rush to grab as much of Russia as possible.

So...there's no reason to settle North America (furs, wood and that's it, for the most part). Greenland probably will be found eventually by someone either looking for it for the Irish, or fleeing from their wrath.

As for the Caribbean...it'll either be me or the Papacy who find it, as we send down trade ships along the west coast of Africa trying to find passage to Asia. Very possibly them, because they must have a greater naval tradition and a bigger rivalry with the Byzantines. Now...the Pope finding the new world will be a big deal, because conversion! So the Caribbean at least will be found and settled (or at least looked at and maybe claimed) along the same lines we might expect. It's good for growing various tropical crops as well...

South America...no idea. I bet a holy crusade against the blood thirsty infidel may well be on the cards if the papacy finds them first. Or even second. Quite frankly, whilst the Irish should be the big colonizers because of their inherent advantage, it will probably be the Papacy instead, because they need a fuck ton of cash and goods to win wars against the Byzantine Romans.

That being said, they won't be able to hold onto them if the Irish or Romans come knocking. Smaller population and surrounded, so probably going to have some nasty wars in the Balkans or in Sicily at some point in the 16th century to decide who owns these areas once and for all.

And the reformation may or may not occur, hitting them where it really hurts. If Christendom sort of loses unity, and the Irish, the Byzantines (and Hungarians) and Papacy all have different faiths...well...chaos ensues. The 16th or 17th (more likely) century will be one of absolute bedlam.

We may actually see a world where there are multiple European empires...but no or few European colonies after the 16th century.

A EUIV continuation would be fun, though Ireland might well end up taking over most of the world by the 1800s, assuming the empire doesn't fall apart which isn't that unlikely of an outcome.
The Irish are going to have some huge problems at some point as a matter of identity. Unless they really wipe the slate clean, they are going to have some minorities remaining in their realm, and the frontiers are going to be fuller of them than usual. I would expect them to continue to push east, try to claim all of Russia and Siberia, and try to define the Ned and Irish parts of their empire cohesively. As it stands, this is much more a Hapsburg deal of an empire the just so happens to be ruled by one family, rather than a unified polity.

The exceptions being the Irish Isles, and Germany (at this point).

So yes, very interesting jumping on point for EUIV continuation...not sure if that happens or not though!

Reactions:
I would also be interested in continuing the bizarre fascination some title holders have for random plotting. The King's of bohmeia and bavaria are presumably going to have a rivalry for a long time. The Duke of moray is a treacherous little weasel always trying to claim 'the throne'. The throne in question keeps changing. The Duke of Blarington is always going to be trying to cause absolute chaos, and do crime things. If they're also king of Wales, double the trouble.

King of England is boring and loyal. France is probably stressed out and put out by running a kingdom half the size it was. Germany is insane. Etc etc

• 1Like
Reactions:
As the closing date is days away and we still don't have all that many voters:

Go vote in the End of Year AAR Awards! Spread some love. Recommend your favourites!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have tentatively began converting over to EUIV. The game may be an unplayable mess, and even if it does work...unlike CK3, I have no idea how to play the game.

So whilst Ireland will be very strong, their patron deity/demon is something of a liability to them.

Watch this space.

• 4Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Pretty sure I speak for everyone here when I say that we fully intend to.

Bloody hell, that was quick.

Is everyone that interested???

Reactions:
Bloody hell, that was quick.

Is everyone that interested???
I admit I outsource my scarily quick enthusiasm to Wraith, some jobs are best left to the professionals in my experience. But I am indeed interested to see what happens when this crashes it's way into EUIV.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I admit I outsource my scarily quick enthusiasm to Wraith, some jobs are best left to the professionals in my experience. But I am indeed interested to see what happens when this crashes it's way into EUIV.

I can only imagine...based on how overstretched Ireland was by the end of CK3...a few civil wars to decide 'how big' Ireland is in the age of discovery and the early modern era.

Obviously, I'm sure the audience is split between 'very', and 'Eternal war of five kingdoms or more'.

But there's also a large byzantine empire and
their large client state in Hungary, plus a big Papal state.

Lots of consolidation by the end of the 14th century to be sorted out. Rome and...er...rome, are both competing over north africa and the middle east. Meanwhile the one true empire is busy recovering from a blood god Emperor who worked through childhood trauma and treacherous vassals by killing everyone in Eastern Europe. And then everyone in iberia. And then everyone in muscovy, the baltic and Scandinavia.

Unfortunately, he dies in 1399 or thereabouts. So between then and EUIV, there's this 'forgotten' King, Brian the...umm...Fourth? Fifth?

Anyway, he tries to hold the entire empire together. And he probably dies of stress just after the EUIV game starts.

To be honest, Ireland is in about as difficult a position as a brand new player is. They own a vast land empire from Santiago to the urals. There's no way I'm or they will manage to keep it all together...right?

Once I learn the game and possibly have to reconquer an empire for Ireland, I'll be up for a challenge or two to aim for from the readership.

At the moment...I guess follow the OTL Russia movement and colonise siberia? Leave that mess of pope and rome and rome to the others.

Reactions:
Reactions:
That should never stop one from writing an AAR about it! :D

Well...not a comedy AAR anyway.

Whether it stands up as a tutorial/introduction in the way the CK3 portion did...idk.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Part 2? This should be fun!

I'll echo everyone else's interest.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Part 2? This should be fun!

I'll echo everyone else's interest.

A very unorthodox mega campaign, but seems to be slowly dragging its way to EUIV.

Technically THIS is part 2, though won't be required reading. The EUIV AAR will have a backstop smash up because its been a long time since Ged's Existential Nightmare. The main points to note are:

Ged 1, of course, Ireland fighting a long war against England, accidentally getting a colony in Essex, developing a taste for expansion and domination, a lot of people called Brian were king, the germans decided to elect one of them holy roman Emperor because they were stupid, the Irish promptly took over and irished up central Europe, and the last Emperor going on a roaring rampage of revenge against Irish nobles and the rest of Europe after his dad was murdered. The nobles are thus very subdued, almost everyone in the empire is Irish or dead, and they have a very strong land army tradition, as well as absolute loyalty to the Ned family (with everyone who ever tries rebelling being harshly put down).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Behold! The tentative first map setup!

Ireland controls most of Europe.
The Papal States own most of Italy, bits of the North African coastline, and bits of the Dalmatian coastline.
Pisa owns a small city state realm in North Africa.
Hungary is a large independent kingdom.
The Roman Empire is huge and owns Egypt, the Levant, Anatolia, the Balkans, etc.

So far, it seems what this means is Rome and Ireland are extremely over sized for the starting era tech and culture they have, and everyone else is pretty much fine, game mechanic wise.

• 2Like
Reactions: