• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Seems like Brian cannot get the peace and quiet he obviously need. :p

In a cold blooded way, Ged Junior picking John Paul for the throne makes a lot of sense. She is married to a prince of Scotland, so can bring in foreign aid. She is likely to die in childbirth, bringing his own push for power closer. And she isn't producing any Ned heirs of her own but another family, so the next vote is much more likely to go his way.

Of course...as it turns out, he may have miscalculated a bit. One aspect is already obvious, given how she is...y'know, currently in prison.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Update is in the works but before that, I confess I have changed my mind on this pay for boats mechanic...

It has fixed a great deal of issues with the AI. Now everyone can move and transport their troops with efficency and purpose against enemies, even on different islands and across seas.

The penalty for moving is that it is slow to embark to sea, allowing any pursuers to catch up and potentially destroy an army before it withdraws. This reverses the ck2 effect, where boats were fast escape routes for everyone and could immediately pick up any sized army in a port provided they had enough space.

The cost of moving is propionate to army size, so it costs a lot of money (in the hundreds of gold) to move armies of more than say 4k in one go. This encourages both smaller armies and more tactical and strategic thinking for the player. The AI can send their whole army across to your island say, but if they have money troubles or large forces they may not do so all in one go, or wait to build up enough gold. Of course in emergencies, you can plunge into debt to save your army regardless of cost (provided of course that you are far enough away from the enemy that they won't catch you before embarking).

The penalty once disembarked is an entire month of combat penalty for recently disembarking. Unless you are seizing empty territory, or landing with overwhelming force (or with lots of allies), the defenders will have a huge advantage for weeks after you land.

All this combined makes, for example, any war between England and France look like several repeats of the battle of Normandy and the retreat at Dunkirk, on both sides of the Channel. Its amazing to watch, and engaging to play through.

The dev team have done excellent work in both making strategic and tactical maneuvering by sea easier and widespread by players and AI, whilst also given numerous (historical and simulatory) advantages to any defender working on their home turf.

I suppose the last thing to mention is that, sadly (at least for me), this means a favourite and incredibly cheesy but funny strategy is now defunct. One simply cannot ally a gigantic doom stack empire and expect the arrival of said doomsday to win the war by itself anymore.

I think overall, if paradox is committed to refusing to add naval combat at all (which seems the case in the CK series), this was the best other option.

Thoughts?

Reactions:
Have discovered and caught up with this over the holiday break. I hope our friendly neighbourhood torturer makes a subsequent appearance at a suitable time - it sounds likely there will be an ample need for his services and not long to wait.

Have discovered and caught up with this over the holiday break. I hope our friendly neighbourhood torturer makes a subsequent appearance at a suitable time - it sounds likely there will be an ample need for his services and not long to wait.

Local torturer Steven Hack is an old-fashioned kid of chap. Never leaves home without his descriptor. Also allows me to have someone in-universe who will give the psycopathic CK player answers to the game's questions. The answer to everything is assassination and incest. With 'cultural conversion' cleaning up afterwards.

...​

Delightedly to see a thousand views on a thread that has yet to truly get started. The game itself continues apace and I am now on the final stages (potential spoilers for anyone thinking the PC wouldn't eventually win) of cleaning up the Irish Isles. It's been a long and spectacularly bloody journey. It has something for everyone. Mad cap comedy. Shakespearean tragedy. Musical numbers. Frolicking frogmen. Lots of spilling the blood of the Saxon men.

England and France teamed up to stop me. Which was adorable. And a little horrifying.

Also, can confirm a few things about later game developments (although I'm still in the 13th century so the late game hasn't truly started yet). First of all, the Mongols don't have a proper game event attached to them yet, but they can for more anyway (since the country exists on the map). They are no less effective than otl until Crud the Fat Fuck kicked the crap out of them on Crusade. In Estonia.

Also, mid to late game castles are also the impossible to siege without siege equipment, which is actually fantastic news because it means 1) you can roleplay a small defesnvie nation much easier in the late game, 2) you can actually have late game battles and strategic plans for war s instead of doom stacks solving everything, because most of your men are just wasted sitting there waiting for the machines to knock the wall down (non-siege equipped armies are going to be stuck outside for years at a time) which means 3) wars in the mid game are INCREDIBLY expensive and so the map actually stabilises out. Kingdoms instead spend their time consolidating what they have, strengthening up domestically and sorting out rebellion and such. I expect the late game, when cannons become available, will mean all the big realms who manage to come out of this period strong and stable are going to explode outwards and have gigantic ears of conquest...that should be fun.

One more thing, if I should declare the Irish realm an empire, should I take the Brittania empire or create my own? There I see pretty much no difference here, except asthetics. My own custom empire will take after Ireland and so be green, use the harp crest etc. Brittania, I presume (?) will be imperial red.

Any thoughts?

Oh and btw, I will defiantly continue this thread into future playthroughs of CK3 if the interest is there. I'm enjoying this game a lot.

• 3Like
Reactions:
One more thing, if I should declare the Irish realm an empire, should I take the Brittania empire or create my own? There I see pretty much no difference here, except asthetics. My own custom empire will take after Ireland and so be green, use the harp crest etc. Brittania, I presume (?) will be imperial red.

Emerald green custom empire with some name signifying gaels instead of brits? Maybe?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Emerald green custom empire with some name signifying gaels instead of brits? Maybe?

The name is going to be hard. Ireland would work since due to some...things, only Irish people will be living in my realm soon enough.

Then again, that's depending on another theme park loonie not coming along and renaming duchies after his favourite things. And turning Wales into an (admittedly incredibly lucrative) Amusement Park.

Gedland is very much a possibility.

This typo amuses me. Or... is it not a typo?

Hmm...can't say for certain yet. I will say that rulers seem to be getting...larger...as the game goes on. Not sure whether this was intended by paradox but there's a lot more girthy kings and queens lumbering around these days. Obesity doesn't actually affect martial prowess or effectiveness all that much (just dampens health) so the ones who are good at it still lead armies. They're just huge.

And it seems to be somewhat inhertiable behaviour. My first obese ruler feasted a lot for diplomacy reasons, and his son just liked eating apparently.

Definitely create your own empire.

Yes I think so. The name is going to be interesting though. Will stick with Ireland for now but who knows?

Any thoughts?
I'm just ready to see the Golden Harp of the Green Fields absolutely STORM across the Irish Sea to sort out the Welsh, Scots and English. Sort them out proper.

I'm just ready to see the Golden Harp of the Green Fields absolutely STORM across the Irish Sea to sort out the Welsh, Scots and English. Sort them out proper.

Yes it turns out quite nice looking. Lots of green and harps.

Turns out also that custom primary empires outrank all other empires, even ones you've subsumed yourself...

Didn't set out to paint the map green but with 100 years to go, looks like quite a bit of it will be.

Reactions:
Excellent....

Excellent....

But the feared cultural invasion, discussed in GEN and some other places, winds down a bit when your realm gets large enough. The ruling class might stay all the same culture, but it takes centuries to 'convert' an empire to one culture. So by the end of the game, though Ireland will control a large realm, only parts will be fully Irish, either ethnically or culturally.

Reactions:
Still very much not capable of writing or reading much, but Paradox have given us names and faces for the dev team going forward for CK3.

They are apparently working on something big and something small. The something big is presumably the first expansion/DLC (feel free to speculate on what that may be but probably adding back in something we already have in CK2). The something small is probably the finished ruler designer, as they made the bewildering decision to release it without the family crest customisation option. Replacing the randomise button with actual customisation options finishes off the mechanic.

May well be something else but I would be surprised if that isn't fixed soon.

That the team is being scaled up and not down post release indicates what we all knew was coming: an attempt to bring out a bunch of expansions over the next few years. Time will tell if this remains a slow drip of increasing complexity like EUIV, increased game fixing like HOI4 or increased insanity like CK2.

Anyway, the second lot of COVID in hospital remains wonderfully deadening. Sorry for the lack of comments and reading (and voting, oops) though that seems set to continue for a while longer yet...

• 1Like
Reactions:
You're good, mate. We're not stressing out... too much. That said, we do order you to get better!

Reactions:
Anyway, the second lot of COVID in hospital remains wonderfully deadening. Sorry for the lack of comments and reading (and voting, oops) though that seems set to continue for a while longer yet...
I dread to think what medications you must be on to be reading CK2 dev notes for fun. Whatever it is, try and smuggle some out as I suspect the street value of a narcotic capable of causing such delusions will be considerable.

Though on second thoughts, probably best you keep taking the pills and focus on getting better. ;)

Reactions:
I dread to think what medications you must be on to be reading CK2 dev notes for fun. Whatever it is, try and smuggle some out as I suspect the street value of a narcotic capable of causing such delusions will be considerable.

Though on second thoughts, probably best you keep taking the pills and focus on getting better. ;)
I never did for ck2. But they're so quiet about ck3 that it's sort of fascinating, considering the money they've made off it already.
I suppose they might be as worried/curious about how it's all going to play out, as much as we are.

Reactions: