• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Greedy Pope! Crusade was for one county? Stockholm Syndrome: prisoner for 14 years, opinion of jailer +98 (need to be rebalanced, best with prisoner maybe -50). The son and his wife can go girl hunting together. Please be careful, My Duchess.

Yes the Crusade was overkill to reclaim a single County, and then the Pope keeps it rather awarding it to those who aided him. Osulf does seem to be enjoying the comforts of house arrest, no worries or responsibilities. It is nice when a couple share the same interests.

Hahaha, seems someone has Stockholm Syndrome. Maybe he feels that it is safer under house arrest then out in the countryside here he is still hated for his treachery.

Yep as mentioned above there is plenty to like about a life free of care or worry, especially after realizing your niece/jailor doesn't intend to torture or kill you.

It's not very promising that prince Ecgberht is expanding his dynasty but perhaps the election can still neuter him.
Scotland's in a bit of a state isn't it. There might even be space for some Northward designs although that will have to be before any Welsh inheritance.
I hadn't expected to see Aelfrida in her thirties already, I guess that having her as a child for so long has warped my perception.
The Mercian war is quite the unpleasant stab in the back, and that Earl Olav is certainly a man to keep an eye on.
Alas, poor uncle Osulf already played his hand and now he's left to rot.
Ah damn, our Aelfrida lost another child, I hope that Aethelric will not trouble his mother too much in his teens.
I'm very curious to see what Aethelric and Aethelburg will be like, there's sure to be some interesting martial dynamics there.

Ecgberht is certainly strengthening his position as the leading candidate for the throne. For the moment his support is too strong to challenge by supporting his sister. Scotland's troubles continue as the game of thrones intensifies. Some of Ælfrida's closest neighbors over the border are members of her own dynasty who she doesn't wish to usurp, she is just happy that Scotland's troubles keep it from looking south.
Yes time moves forward, it's been 3 decades since she became Duchess.
Earl Olav is certainly a dangerous warrior and wreaked havoc amongst Ælfrida's knights and allies.
Osulf is serving Ælfrida as an example to the rest of her vassals and neighbors.
Yes it was heartbreaking to lose another child, but her remaining children are a joy and growing fast.
Æthelric and Æthelburg will do their duty but feel like they will also do their own thing.

I am Uhtred son of Uhtred, son of Uhtred who was also son of Uhtred.

It certainly makes those history quizzes easier, "Pretty sure it was Uhtred who did that." The naming convention may have stopped as it put a lot of pressure on the heirs to live up to all that the Uhtreds before them had accomplished.

Reactions:
1177-1180 A Groom for Hextilda
1177-1180 A Groom for Hextilda

Time marched on for a few years with little of note happening. England and Northumbria were at peace, no wars being fought or even in the offing. Alba (or Scotland) had proved to be of little threat as its internal squabbles prevented it from doing much in the 25 years since King Olaf freed England from Scotland’s rule. King Domnall V and his son, Prince Ernán, were both dead, and the throne was now in the hands of a 4-year old Welsh child, Ernan’s son and Domnall’s grandson, King Steffen ab Ernán of Scotland. And, as has been the case for most of my reign, a war was already being fought to unseat the boy. It was no longer as pressing for me to push into Ireland.

yLF2BFE.jpg

My kinswoman, the Duchess Wynnflæd had been victorious in her war against the heathen Dhunnunid Sultanate and added Plasencia to the Duchy of Coimbra. Her husband, however, Duke Suibne Gilla-Christez of León, had been taken prisoner while helping the King of Castille against the rebellious Duke of Portucale and was waiting to be ransomed.

Pl035Cm.jpg

vNFq8R6.jpg

To the east, another of my kinsmen, Duke Udo II of Frisia, was trying to recover from wounds he had suffered in battle. He held the Duchies of Frisia and Upper Lorraine, which would be split between his two daughters if he failed to recover. The eldest, Romilda of Bamburgh would receive the Duchy of Frisia. She was married to Meginhard von Julichgau, and had already born two children and was expecting a third. All three children were/would be part of House Bamburgh (while they inherited Romilda’s House, luckily, the first two at least, had inherited their father’s looks). The younger daughter, Richwara, would inherit the Duchy of Upper Lorraine. She was married to Tas of Brno, a Czech knight. They had one child already, a son of House Brno, named Ojíř after his great-grandfather, meaning Upper Lorraine would pass from House Bamburgh in the future.

5NUsq2v.jpg

To the north, Teviotdale, so long the heart of the Bamburgh dynasty in Scotland, faced the same fate, it too would pass from our dynasty, from House Bamburgh-Kelso. Countess Sibyl had married Fuirechtach Conchobair, and now their son Ainbchellach Conchobair was heir to Teviotdale. Earl Bride of Lanarkshire was now tasked with carrying on the Bamburgh-Kelso name through his two surviving sons. His heir, Tydy Bamburgh-Kelso, already had a 9-year old daughter, Galiena, to carry on for another generation while Bride’s younger son, Meirion, was still a boy of 12. Bride’s middle son, Anllech, had died at 17 in one of my wars before he had a chance to have any children.

3EzI9Ru.jpg

The petty Kingdom of Leinster’s inheritance was secure within the dynasty. King Sigeberht had two strong young sons to carry on the family name, though neither Rogellach nor Fergal had any children yet.

NFrfq9i.jpg

In Northumbria, there was little to report. Bishop Balthere had succeeded in ridding the County of Lindsey of the Insular heresy. Next, I had sent him to the Isle of Man to deal with the heretics there. My Marshal, Earl Wulfnoth was already working to exert control over the population on the island. The new keep in Carleol had been completed in Cumbraland, making it a formidable defensive position.

fc95bMy.jpg

Wulfnoth, the Earl of the North Riding, held a feast which I attended. I met his four sons, a new generation of Bamburghs. The oldest boy was Wiglaf, 14 years old and already betrothed to a woman twice his age, named Emma de Besancom. I was unsure why my cousin would tie his son and heir to this French woman. After Wiglaf, there was 11-year old Godwine, then 7-year old Wulfhelm, named for his grandfather, my late Uncle, and finally 2-year old Ælfræd. Countess Sifflæd de Criel, my good friend, was proud of her four sons. It was a good visit.

8yqFfAX.jpg

There were a few marriages, such as Ælfrida of Oxford’s marriage to Eadbald Fortescue, a knight who joined my service, and Helga Barton had married Adolf von Brockberg, another knight. Helga’s father, Beorhtric Barton, one of my knights and fellow Crusader, was the target of a plot to gain some kind of hold over him. I was not sure if this was plot was solely targeting Beorhtric, or it was the first step in a more involved plot to plant an agent in my court. Hereweard would continue to look into this and try to follow the thread back to the instigator.

qd55ohR.jpg

The most exciting things to happen were within my own family. My daughter Beorhtgyth became my ward and started her formal education in stewardship as she reached the age of 6. Then there was the birth of my first grandchild, Beorhtmær Æthelricson of Bamburgh, named for my husband, the boy’s grandfather. He had his father’s and grandfather’s bright ginger hair. My daughter-in-law, Æthelburg, made it through the birth with no complications. I was very happy, for my son and Æthelburg, and for Northumbria, itself. The succession was secured for another generation. Though I was a little perturbed to find myself a grandmother at the age of 38.

57DsoyL.jpg

aYINhrG.jpg

That was soon assuaged when I learned I was pregnant for the fifth time. It was a nerve wracking as I awaited the birth after having lost my last child. I was able to distract myself for a time during my confinement by following my martial interests by studying a scroll I had translated that detailed the ancient Battle of Teutoburg Forest where Germanic tribes defeated the Roman legions. But finally, after nine months, I gave birth to a perfect little daughter. She did not share the bright ginger hair of her siblings and father, but instead took after me with a mop of dark brown hair. From the start I knew she was special, as she came into the world bright eyed and very aware of all around her. We named her Wulfhild.

w2t5FAf.jpg

mgnUlhT.jpg

My niece, Countess Eadgyth of Lancashire, had at the same time come of age and was betrothed to her second cousin, Godwine Wulfnothson of the North Riding. This worried me a little as her mother and father had also been cousins, which risked a chance that any children may become inbred.

o0xzRl4.jpg

My sister, Hextilda, remained unmarried, a widow. It had been nine years since the death of her husband, and she was only 37 years old, she could have more children. She had always been shy and nervous meeting strangers due to the mocking and ridicule she had suffered as a child due to her unusual coloring. She had not had my luck in having as wonderful a guardian as Twardomir while growing up alone in Leodis. I decided I would see if I could find someone worthy who might interest her. The only single man of marriageable age in my own court was my best knight, Ealdmund Wintaling. He was temperate, trusting man, though easily swayed, but strong of body and an exceptionable warrior.

Hextilda was willing to marry him, but only if he accepted a matrilineal marriage. This was fine by me, and Ealdmund seemed like he would be willing to give up his family name in order to become the Earl of the West Riding. I only hesitated because it would not be the most prestigious marriage for my sister. I held off committing for the moment to see if I could find a more worthy candidate. But after a search of a few weeks, letters written to acquaintances and family I could find no nobleman or other man, better than Ealdmund. The last thought I had was to try to attract candidates in the same manner that had brought Ealdmund to my court in the first place, I put out a call for knights. If no one worthy arrived, I would press Ealdmund as a suitor.

qBHqOIK.jpg

Within a month the first knight arrived in response to my summons. His name was Alastair Buchan, a Scot who followed the Insular heresy. He was about the same age as Ealdmund, but not as skilled a warrior. He actually shared a few traits and interests in common with Hextilda, he was shy and he was a master hunter, a hobby she had been pursuing over the last few years. He was a humble man, so did not seem to be one to protest giving up his family name in favor of the Bamburgh name. The only concern was he appeared to be a man who never forgot a slight, which could cause problems if he was elevated to the rank of Earl.

QHIdcaz.jpg

While I was awaiting more candidates, my vassal Countess Æthelburg of Westmorland died under mysterious circumstances, leaving her 1-year daughter Cuthburg Wulfheredohtor as the new Countess of Westmorland. With Æthelburg’s death House Wuffing was all but extinct, as the young Countess was of House Bamburgh. Æthelburg’s aunt Ealdgyth Wuffing, was the last living member of the family, and she was too old to have children to continue the House.

RKk1kn6.jpg

Another death hit closer to home as my cousin Earl Wulfnoth of the North Riding died of the Plague. He had been one of my closest friends and had served as my Marshal for years. He would be sorely missed. His son, Wiglaf, became the new Earl of the North Riding. I surprised many when I chose my niece, Countess Eadgyth, as my new Marshal, but I trusted her, and I wanted someone with a fresh point of view on the Council as I was surrounded by people my age or older who had served me for years. She quickly proved her worth by finishing the task Wulfnoth had been working on, bringing order to Westmorland following the death of Countess Æthelburg.

c50NElV.jpg

90YjBJh.jpg

Shortly after that another knight arrived. It sent a stab of grief through my heart when he said his name was Wulfnoth, Wulfnoth of Oxford. He was a younger man, closer in age to Hextilda, he appeared to be a hardworking, generous man, who enjoyed a fine meal and had experience as a quartermaster handling logistics for moving a large army of men. I took him on as a knight, but again, he didn’t measure up to Ealdmund.

7qBLC36.jpg

Soon after a third man arrived in answer to my call for knights. His arrival was met with disbelief when he announced he had come to serve as a knight. Eadfrith Perry was a dwarf. Only 20 years old, touchy on the subject, but honest. He claimed God had called him to fight. I didn’t dismiss him out of hand due to his stature, I had come to depend on Aunt Cynehild who was also a dwarf and had proved her worth 10 times over. And I didn’t discount my rival to the south, Duke Gudliek of Mercia, who was also a dwarf, yet skilled in war. So, I took young Eadfrith into my service, but I am somewhat ashamed to say I never considered him as a fit husband for my sister.

jcy1W5n.jpg

With Eadfrith’s arrival, I gave up trying to find a more suitable husband for Hextilda and was ready to move forward with the marriage between her and Ealdmund Wintaling. But it turned out my search had been in vain, for Hextilda had found a husband on her own, a more prestigious match with a man named Philipp Wigeriche. He was a Saxon from the royal family of Lotharingia and a cousin to Kaiser Adalgari Wigeriche of the Holy Roman Empire. Philipp was a bit arrogant, not unexpected from the grandson of a King who had been raised in a royal court, but he was still a generous and trusting man. Philipp was also a widower, with one grown son, Count Gottfried of Westfriesland, and three grandchildren. He had even agreed to a matrilineal marriage. I just smiled and wished the couple happiness, glad to see my sister was no longer alone.

fNPqGQm.jpg

In August of 1180, England’s period of peace ended, as King Henrik pledged to support King Ulf of Sweden in his war to press his son Prince Borkvard’s claim on Blekinge against King Torgils of Denmark. King Vulvari of Frisia was also supporting King Ulf, while King Torgils only had an ally in Duke Mieszko II of Lower Silesia. I had my niece prepare some Northumbrian levys to sail with England’s army, but offered no additional support to a war so far across the sea.

brgukxT.jpg

But a far worse threat soon arrived in Bernicia, the Plague that had killed my cousin, Wulfnoth, was now stalking the halls of Bebbanburg.

76iyklK.jpg
Scotland

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
What were you hoping for when you called for knights my Duchess? Three Goliath's....remember he died to shepherd with a sling.....

I was just seeing if I could find someone with better stats, or would give more prestige to Hextilda if they were to marry.

Hopefully, the plague will be gentle. All your hard work and Hextilda found her own man. My Duchess, may you and the children be safe.

The Plague will strike close to home. Hextilda found a better candidate and got him in matrilineal marriage, I was worried she would marry some commoner or get into a regular marriage. Thanks.

Reactions:
1181 - 1182 A Plague, a Pledge, and a Pilgrimage
1181 - 1182 A Plague, a Pledge, and a Pilgrimage

My mother, Alfonsina, was the first to show symptoms of the Plague, soon followed by my husband, Beorhtmær. My Aunt Cynehild did all she could to treat the disease, but to little avail. By the beginning of the year my mother had succumbed to the Black death. She was buried alone in my family’s plot, as my father’s body had been buried long ago in the distant Holy Land. My stepfather, Sigifredo, was crushed and felt quite alone, as my mother was the last person he knew from his homeland. He had used his knowledge of herbs to try and help Cynehild care for Alfonsina, but it had not been enough.

djZIxkH.jpg

OvH9v0h.jpg

I kept myself and my children away from their father as Cynehild turned all her efforts to save him. He held on a month longer than my mother, then he too was gone. He had been by my side for 25 years, his death so soon after my mother’s left me lost and adrift. His death made my son, Æthelric, the heir to the Earldom of Buccingahamm held by his grandfather, Earl Cyngar.

qLY5NjF.jpg

Km3v1d7.jpg

Others would die, servants in the castle and others in the surrounding countryside, but my mother and husband were the only two deaths that struck so close to home. By spring, Cynehild felt the outbreak had run its course and Bebbanburg was once more clear of the scourge. I, however, continued to mourn the loss of three of the most important people in my life in the span of a year. All victims to the same Plague. I took comfort in my children once again and my one grandchild.

1IdXtDZ.jpg

In March, I received word that King Henrik had pledged his support in another war. This time pledging to join King Claeuwaert of Italy in a war that was all but lost already. Duke Dagaric of Austria and his allies were winning their war to claim Aquileia on the north coast of the Adriatic Sea. England’s armies were in Skane, and would never be able to reach Italy in time to make a difference.

5ybcmXe.jpg

By April, as predicted the Italian war was lost, but King Henrik’s token show of support had pleased King Claeuwaert. The war in Denmark, however, had had seen little change, and looked like it would be a long drawn out affair.

To try and keep from dwelling upon my recent losses. I looked for something to occupy my mind. My Council pointed out that there were claims I could press for various vassals and courtiers. As two of those vassals with claims were part of my Council, there may have been a little self interest in bringing this up. Both Earl Hereweard and my sister Hextilda had claims on the County of Derby, while Hereweard also had a claim on the County of Perfeddwlad in Wales. Another courtier, Sadb Conchobair, the wife of my knight Beorhtric Barton, had a claim on the actual throne of Wales. Another of my knights, Widukind von Gustrow, the husband of my cousin, Eadburg, had claims on the Counties of Worms and Speyer, but as those would entail declaring war on the Holy Roman Empire itself, no one was really urging me to press those claims. Finally, my son, Æthelric had claims on both of his grandfather’s counties, which would require going to war against Duke Rolf III of East Seaxe. As Æthelric was due to inherit one of those peacefully, while his uncle would receive the other, there was little incentive to press those claims.

fCln8YU.jpg

Ft8jwM3.jpg

vwfFpav.jpg

3sjWxFc.jpg

Gaining Derby would give me complete control of all the counties in the Duchy of Lancaster, securing my hold on the north of England. But Countess Æthelburh and her heir were both good Anglo-Saxon nobles, I had mainly kept away from stripping fellow Anglo-Saxons of their lands and titles. I had been careful to bring Earl Æthelbald of Lindsey into Northumbria as a vassal rather than strip him of his titles, I would prefer to do the same with Countess Æthelburh. Plus, if I pressed either Hereweard’s or Hextilda’s claim over the other’s, I would anger the one and cause friction in both the realm and on my Council. However, if I wanted to bring Countess Æthelburh in as a vassal, I would need to claim the Duchy title of Lancaster to give me a de jure claim to vassalize her. This was easy enough as I already controlled three quarters of Lancaster, but I worried if that now holding three Duchy titles may cause issues in the future, both among my vassals and potentially my children or grandchildren. Truthfully, I could also claim title to the Duchy of Mann and make it four Duchy titles.

3Vt6HXR.jpg

The other potential target was the County of Perfeddwlad in Wales. Queen Sannant was currently defending (and winning) against an internal revolt led by the Duke Cynwrig III of Deheubarth to change some laws in Wales. If I attacked now while she was distracted, I could hopefully end the war quickly and cleanly, pressing Hereweard’s claim. This would also make Hereweard more amendable to allowing Hextilda to claim Derby, if I decided to go that route. If I wanted to follow that plan, I couldn’t hesitate, I needed to act immediately, before the current war in Wales ended.

But two things did make me hesitate, one was a slight feeling of guilt. Queen Sannant and Duke Cadwallon IV of Gwynedd (the actual lord of Perfeddwlad) were both kin to my late husband, albeit distant, was I betraying his memory by attacking his family. A broader worry was due to my position as Chancellor of England. If I crossed that border and seized land that was a recognized part of Wales, was I committing England to a series of border wars with a neighbor we had been at peace with for close to 70 years, ever since Mercia had reclaimed Shropshire from Wales. All just to keep one of my vassals happy and to distract me from my sorrow.

Realizing that dragging my people into a war was not the answer, trying to distract me from my own sorrow, by adding to theirs, as many of my men would surely die leaving their own families to mourn. I decided to take the more diplomatic path to bring Derby under my control. I would claim the title of Duchess of Lancaster, and see if Countess Æthelburh’s vassalage could be transferred to me through an appeal to King Henrik, or directly to Countess Æthelburh, rather than starting a war. Twardomir had taught me long ago to use diplomacy when able and getting out of Bebbanburg to visit Derby and Winchester would provide some distraction. I would take my daughters with me, and leave Æthelric in charge.

qCHS1FG.jpg

It took some persuasion, a visit, followed by some letters, but in the end, I convinced King Henrik to transfer Derby’s vassalage to me. Countess Æthelburh pledged herself as my vassal, which secured Derby without needing a war. Of course, that still left Hextilda and Hereweard with claims on Derby, but they could sort that out themselves with Countess Æthelburh.

rgi5dcm.jpg

I was still thinking about the death of my mother and my own husband, which had me soon thinking of my father, Leofric. Those thoughts led me to deciding to visit the land where he had died. I would embark on a Pilgrimage to visit Jerusalem and to visit my father’s grave, or at least, the area where he died. It would be expensive to travel that distance, but Nortumbria’s coffers were overflowing.

Qz6Xz09.jpg

There were only two left alive in Northumbria who had been on that Crusade and might be able to help me narrow down the location of my father’s grave. The first was Earl Hereweard de Criel of Cheshire, my old spymaster, so I went to Chester to talk with him, he insisted on throwing a feast, but we talked of my father after. He knew my father had died during the siege of Al-Qaryatan, a fortress in what was now in Catholic Mirdasid, I remembered Twardomir had told me that same story long ago, but Hereweard didn’t think he could recall where my father had been laid to rest, just that it was in the hills surrounding the castle. But he was willing to accompany me to the Holy Land to look. I welcomed his company, but knew we needed more information. So, reluctantly I decided to visit the other living member of the Fourth Crusade, my Uncle Osulf, who had gone as my grandfather’s squire and returned as a young man and the Earl of Dunholm.

0JMDQJV.jpg

aAiRsap.jpg

I went to his cell in the one of the towers of Bebbanburg. He seemed happy to see me, as he didn’t get many visitors. His wife and children didn’t visit as often as they once had. I got straight to the point and told him I was making a pilgrimage to the Holy Land and planned to try and visit my father’s grave and asked if he remembered any landmarks that might point me to the site. A strange play of emotions ran across his face. Then he began to speak so softly I could barely make out the words, yet I doubt I will ever forget them.

“I was too young to go on a Crusade. Crusades are supposed to absolve you of your sins, but all my sins came after I arrived in the Holy Land, not before. Sins against your father, sins against you, my dear niece. I cannot remember where we buried Leofric, but I can show you exactly where he died. I dream about it all the time, him lying on the ground with the arrow in his chest, and his everpresent wineskin, red slowly spilling out onto the sand.”

He didn’t say anything further, and I was too stunned to press him for more information. I left him there alone in his cell.

Knowing I would learn nothing further in England, I once again left my son Æthelric in charge and I set sail for Jerusalem with Earl Hereweard.

On the voyage I decided I would visit King Ealdwine when I arrived in the Holy Land, maybe he could help, after all it was my father’s men who had put his mother, Queen Sithmaith of Bamburgh, my second cousin, on the throne of Catholic Mirdasid. As far as I knew there was no marker at my father’s lonely grave, it was almost as lost as my grandfather’s, the Old Duke’s grave at sea. I might never be able to find the exact spot, but I could travel to that castle and perhaps have a marker placed somewhere appropriate outside its walls.

40Ppiyw.jpg

The voyage took over 3 months and near the end I was feeling quite unwell. We first arrived in Jerusalem, and I completed my Pilgrimage to the Holy City taking in the holy sites. Then we headed north through Italy’s holdings into the Catholic Kingdom of Mirdasid to complete my own, more personal pilgrimage. We traveled to capitol and I met with King Ealdwine. He acknowledged me as his cousin, but could provide little help in identifying my father’s final resting place. He provided me with an armed escort to Al-Qaryatan and a letter of introduction to Duke Csaba of Palmyra the current lord of Qaryatan. The Duke was the son of the Hungarian lord who had been granted these lands following the Crusade, so he had no knowledge of what happened here during the actual Crusade.

twNqXDr.jpg

He was a horrible man, who had little time for me despite my relationship to and letter from his King, but he did allow me to place a plaque commemorating my father, Duke Leofric, and the other men of Northumbria who died in the Fourth Crusade on the wall of the chapel in the Al-Qaryatan.

zFCMEmE.jpg

Hereweard and I spent a few days wandering the hills around Al-Qaryatan trying to see if any location sparked his memory, but he sadly could not remember. So eventually I picked a hill, trusting in God to guide me, and went up it and knelt in prayer. I spoke out to my father, I told of my mother’s death and asked him to watch over her as well as my husband Beorhtmær, and I told him Hextilda and I were doing well, and I told him of his grandchildren, my three and Hextilda’s daughter, and his first great-grandchild, little Beorhtmær. I also thanked him for sending Twardomir to watch over me. With that done, I quit the Holy Land and returned home to Bebbanburg.

m0MZqY9.jpg

• 3Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I am quite glad we survived the black death with so few loses my lady.

Reactions:
My Duchess, my deepest sympathy! Does CK3 allow time to mourn or does it want you to immediately remarry? May you and the children continue to be beautiful lights honoring the memory of your parents and husband.

Thank you, it was a shock to the system to lose Ælfrida's best friend, mother, and husband in less than a year, all from the Plague. CK3 immediately has a pop up saying you're unmarried, but nothing forcing you to remarry, other than the loss of a spouse's support as a Councillor and the loss of any alliances they provided. The succession is secure, so no need to marry to get more children.

I am quite glad we survived the black death with so few loses my lady.
I was as well, especially that the children were spared.
A Pilgrim...atoning for the sins that brought the plague to Northumbria and also true to honoring the family as well....

Yes, the pilgrimage allowed her to mourn and also finally honor the father she barely remembered.

Reactions:
1182 – 1184 Dangerous Delirious Decisions
1182 – 1184 Dangerous Delirious Decisions

I had returned from the Holy Land and my spirit was at peace, but my body was wracked with illness and fever. So, I went straight from the ship to my bed chambers. Aunt Cynehild treated me and made me comfortable, but could not determine what affliction plagued me.

BKQ7Qd5.jpg

My daughter Beorhtgyth, welcomed me home and took upon herself the task of helping Cynehild take care of me, working diligently. Little Wulfhild also welcomed me home, even at the age of two she was speaking clearly and poking into everything with an insatiable curiosity.

1gH5uuJ.jpg

hPtjNvt.jpg

Knowing I was not yet ready to take up my duties as ruler, as my mind wasn’t clear, I decided to make adjustments on the Council. Reeve Siweard of Bridlington had served as my Chancellor for several years, but he was close to his ninth decade, so I asked him to step down, and appointed my son, Æthelric as my new Chancellor and gave him an official place on my Council. Then I left things in the hands of my Council, my son, my sister, Hextilda, my niece, Eadgyth, and Earl Hereweard. Bishop Balthere, I left on the Isle of Man to continue his work on converting the populace away from their Insular heresy.

3P2Z2ib.jpg

My son’s wife, Princess Æthelburg, was not at Bebbanburg when I returned, she was traveling, visiting Duke Matthias of Jarnamóða’s court to the south. I was not sure why she was not at home, but given her preferences, neither my son and I were not worried that she might be straying, at least not with someone who could quicken her with a child. In fact, if the rumors were true, Duke Matthias had as little interest in women as Æthelburg had in men. Æthelburg did have her ward, her niece, Leofwynn, with her who may share her preferences. The young girl was betrothed to the King of Italy, a man close to 50 years older than her. The betrothal had sealed the alliance between England and Italy. But either way, my grandson was home and safe here in Bebbanburg.

Py062A8.jpg

Due to my illness, I did not return to Winchester to take up my duties as Chancellor, instead I handled what I could through correspondence. Which suited me well enough, as I had little liking for my fellow Councillors, though most of them admired me greatly. I state this as fact, rather than from any vanity. Duke Gudliek, my neighbor and sometimes foe, respected me. The young fool Duke Guriant followed me around like a puppy. Earl Sverre was the most dangerous, but seemed to admire me most of all, especially now that we had both made pilgrimages to the Holy Land. The Archbihop Eadberht also admired my perceived virtues. Queen Beatriz was less impressed, but courteous. The King himself also greatly admired me, though my stubbornness often infuriated him.

King Henrik’s support of the Swedish war against Denmark continued, and they finally seemed to be making some progress. Over my years as Chancellor, I had helped arrange several marriages and betrothals for the King’s children, and now grandchildren, which had secured some powerful alliances to help deter anyone from attacking our shores. However, those obligations worked both ways, which is what had led to England joining in the war against Denmark.

LCw1ZFv.jpg

During one of my son’s visits to keep me abreast of things in Northumbria, he mentioned a war to the west which my feverish mind latched on to. It seems my kinsman, King Sigeberht of Leinster, was trying to reclaim Dubhlinn from the Welsh. I was surprised he hadn’t asked for my help. I was more than willing to support him as he had supported me in the past. I had earlier held off attacking Wales for my vassal’s gain to prevent bad blood between England and Wales, but helping my Irish cousin was surely a different matter and would not bring England into it. I had Æthelirc send a message to Sigeberht offering our support. But apparently two of Sigeberht’s grandchildren were held prisoner by Queen Sannant, and Sigeberht feared that escalating the conflict might lead the Welsh Queen to harm them, so he refused my offer of aid.

yCI9keE.jpg

I was not pleased, as it stood now Sigeberht looked to lose his war, and in my delirium, I was determined to prevent that. I forgot about my hands off policy on Wales. If I pressed Earl Hereweard’s claim, I could draw the Welsh armies’ attentions from Leinster and allow Sigeberht to win his war. I still didn’t want to lose Northumbrian lives, but it could all just be a feint, not really engage them, just threaten long enough to allow Sigeberht victory and then sign a truce to end the conflict. It might tarnish my reputation some, but I could afford it and it would help to strengthen my Dynasty.

I sent word to my Council to declare war on Wales and press Earl Hereweard’s claim on Perfeddwlad. They were surprised by this as I had previously said I was leaving matters in their hands, but with Earl Hereweard’s enthusiastic support for the idea, they agreed to send the declaration.

yHb1Nmg.jpg

In June of 1182, Northumbria prepared for war. Queen Sannant called in King Gudrød of Norway, but as he could barely muster 400 men, he was not much of a concern. My stepfather, Sigifredo di Ferrara took command of the army, some 5,500 men-at-arms and peasant levys, and led them west to cross the border into Wales.

Jt867xj.jpg

About the time my men set up their siege camps outside Dinbych, my fever broke and I came to myself and realized what I had done in my feverish state. The plan had seemed so simple to my fevered brain, start a war where none of my men got hurt, but I realized now, blood would be spilled, there was no avoiding it. With the war already begun it was too late, therefore I decided to commit to claiming Perfeddwlad for Hereweard while still trying to find a way to help Sigeberht.

td1RE3x.jpg

With my return to health, I fled my stuffy quarters to enjoy some fresh air. My old war horse had grown old and I had put him out to stud. So, I went to find a new one. A likely looking stallion caught my eye, and I decided to test my old riding skills against him. With a firm hand I quickly gained mastery over the stallion and took him as my own personal war horse. I spent my mornings riding along the beach below Bebbanburg, regaining my strength and reveling in my return to health. As we gallop through the surf, with the wind and spray in my face, I decide to name the stallion Boreas after the ancient Greek God of the north wind.

My niece, Eadgyth, expressed her admiration for Boreas and asked to ride him, I agreed, though I was a bit concerned about her riding a warhorse in her condition, as she was pregnant with the future heir to Lancashire. The child would only be a few months younger than its Aunt Gunhilda, as my sister, Hextilda, had finally had a child with her second husband, Philip, born during my illness. Little Gunhilda shared her mother’s unusual coloring.

KKJyUv7.jpg

OHb31ir.jpg

4zs6e1R.jpg

Word came in December that Dinbych had fallen and my men now controlled all of the County of Perfeddwlad. Also, a noble prisoner had been taken, Ragnfrid av Finnmark, who was the mother-in-law to my neighbor Earl Bjørn of Suffolk. Out of respect (and the fact no one would pay ransom for her), I freed her after first gaining her promise to recant the Insular heresy.

WJcx1lP.jpg

With Perfeddwlad in my grasp, I sent my men across the Irish Sea to try and help Sigeberht and free Leinster from the Welsh. But we were too late, Sigeberht had already surrendered and reclaimed his grandchildren by the time my army had landed in Dubhlinn. That war was over, but a new one had begun.

While my army was in Ireland, Duke Gudliek decided to once again try to recover some of the land Mercia had lost to Northumbria by trying to claim the East Riding. Duke Goriant of Cornwall and King Garmon of Brittany joined Duke Gudliek in his war. I initially decided to see if I could end the Welsh war quickly, before meeting the Mercian threat.

LRTJGdx.jpg

My army met the small Norwegian army at Drogheda and slaughtered them. Only 4 men survived and two of those were captured by my men, Duke Torgil of the Northern Isles and Mayor Fladchú of Lewis. The main Welsh army fled west into Breifne. My Northumbrians caught up with them in the Battle of Cavan and found victory, though one of my knights, Adolf von Bocksberg, was slain. Queen Sannant herself was also wounded.

9laEIiY.jpg

But I eventually recalled my army back to Bebbanburg as over 8,000 Mercian warriors and their allies arrived in Northumbria. I realized protecting my own people was more important than claiming some new land for one of my vassals. I called on my kinsman Duke Udo of Frisia to send aid against Mercia and also hired two mercenary companies, our old friends, Madhmann’s Company and the mighty Retinue of Hengist to match the strength of my enemies.

hUT2y9B.jpg

I also learned that King Henrik had pledged England’s support in two additional wars in answer to calls by alliances, one for his son-in-law’s claim on the Duchy of Moray and the other against rebels in Italy. But at least the Swedish war was coming to end with a victory soon at hand.

By October, my armies and the two mercenary companies had gathered at Bebanburg and marched south. We met Mercia’s Cornish allies at Leodis. In the Battle of the West Riding, my old spymaster Earl Hereweard was slain (this ended our war against the Welsh as his claim had died with him), but, other than his loss, the battle was an overwhelming victory. The Cornish broke and fled south.

When I learned of Hereweard’s death, I asked Sadb Conchobair to take over Hereweard’s duties as spymaster, she was the most skilled, other than my stepfather, but he was currently leading my army in the field. I also sent my condolences to my Aunt Sorcha and to my de Criel cousins for their loss. Wulfwynn, the oldest of my de Criel cousins, was now the Countess of Cheshire. This could end up being an issue in the future as her son and heir was also second in line to inherit the Duchy of Alsace which could pull Cheshire out of Northumbria and even England. But I would worry about that later.

BzrNCpB.jpg

ruZlkj4.jpg

We needed to press on against the other Mercian armies before they could regroup. And soon, the Battle of Sheffield saw another victory against the Mercians and their Breton allies.

ddssYTy.jpg

As my men crossed the border into Mercia and began to besiege the Mercian holdings, word came from the south. King Henrik II of England was dead. Dead of excessive drink at the age of 54. Prince Ecgberht was now King of England, a crippled and godless man. He had recently been badly injured, and had lost a leg. He also suffered from the lover’s pox, an affliction he had shared with his wife, Helga, which did not speak well of his faithfulness. But the new Queen was compassionate and forgiving and had given him five children so far. I was not sure how Ecgberht would fare as King, but for the moment, overwhelming support among the electors had put him on throne.

IY6NETK.jpg

U1CacM8.jpg

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
This is highly enjoyable.

Reactions:
My goodness, Wulfhild is certainly someone to keep an eye on in the future. I have great expectations.
Despite all her shyness, Hextilda has managed to do well for herself.
The plague could have been much worse but I'm sure Ælfrida does not see the silver lining of the plague cloud.
Ah, another visit to Osulf, I would almost feel bad for him if I didn't think he would go on a rampage as soon as he was set free.
That was quite a touching pilgrimage, I hope Ælfrida managed to find some peace.
War, war, and more war, it seems that our duchess cannot rest; her own feverish mind draws her to war.
Ecgberht does not strike me as a particularly stable ruler, there might even be the possibility to place Æthelburg on the throne.

Reactions:
Vox the Vile Mercians, My Duchess!

The Mercians once again try to strike when they think Northumbria is distracted, they still haven't learned.

This is highly enjoyable.

Thank you, glad you are liking it.

My goodness, Wulfhild is certainly someone to keep an eye on in the future. I have great expectations.
Despite all her shyness, Hextilda has managed to do well for herself.
The plague could have been much worse but I'm sure Ælfrida does not see the silver lining of the plague cloud.
Ah, another visit to Osulf, I would almost feel bad for him if I didn't think he would go on a rampage as soon as he was set free.
That was quite a touching pilgrimage, I hope Ælfrida managed to find some peace.
War, war, and more war, it seems that our duchess cannot rest; her own feverish mind draws her to war.
Ecgberht does not strike me as a particularly stable ruler, there might even be the possibility to place Æthelburg on the throne.

She is basically the smartest person in England, just needs to grow up some so people will listen to her.
Hextilda saw her sister trying to plan her future, so she took care of it herself.
I'm am thankful that none of the children were touched by it, that was my biggest worry.
Osulf remains, partly because he can't be trusted and partly as a warning to everyone else.
Ælfrida finally saw the place that her father and grandfather died for and said goodbye to her father, and with him, her mother, husband, and cousin.
The war against Wales was a mistake all around, it failed in both of its goals, to help her kinsman win his war and to claim land for a vassal, and then it tempted Mercia into attacking her.
King Ecgberht does not look strong, but his father was basically an invalid for most of his reign, so you never can tell. But Ælfrida is definitely looking past Ecgberht toward a path to a Bamburgh King.

Reactions:
1184 – 1186 Looking to the Future
1184 – 1186 Looking to the Future

The news of King Henrik’s death and the ascension of King Ecgberht to the throne had me thinking about one day seeing my grandson Beorhtmær on the throne. I decided to throw my support behind the boy. I had first thought to support his mother, Princess Æthelburg, as Queen, but in the end decided to skip the intermediate step and commit to my own blood. Surprisingly, the current leading candidate to succeed King Ecgberht was Zdik of Kladsko, the son of the late Princess Ronalda of House Dunbar. Duke Rolf III of East Seaxe was the one leading the support for Zdik.

UpAdyYh.jpg

King Ecgberht wasted no time and immediately asked me to continue as Chancellor of England and serve him as I had served his father. The Council was slightly different as Duke Rolf III was now Marshal of England and Duke Gudliek had been moved to Steward. Queen Helga had replaced her mother-in-law, the Dowager Queen Beatriz, as advisor to the King. But Earl Sverre retained his post as Spymaster and, of course, Archbishop Eadberht was still a member of the court.

JSx6XC4.jpg

I agreed to remain on the Council, but I told the King that I first had to deal with war Mercia had instigated. My army, including the two mercenary companies, were besieging Stafford while my Frisian allies were in Leicestershire. The Mercian troops and their allies had crossed into Northumbria and besieged my holdings in the East and the West Ridings. My niece, Countess Eadgyth, had given birth to a son, Eadulf, and had returned to take up her duties as my Marshal. We discussed how to improve recruitment of levys by taking at least a semblance of interest in each soldier.

OsCxkYj.jpg

H2TbrVv.jpg

By early June, Staffordshire was under my control and my army was marching south to Mercia’s capitol at Warwick. While waiting on the siege, I had had one of my soldiers craft a scopperel, a wooden spinning toy I had promised to get my daughter Beorhtgyth, and sent it north to her.

yonaUOH.jpg

While besieging Warwick the Mercians had captured Poclintun, the target of their campaign, in late August. I kept my men on task, we would deal with the enemy once we had captured their heart. Duke Udo and his Frisians captured Leicestershire next in September and marched into Northamptonshire.

7BHeGmb.jpg

In November, my army had captured Warwick and controlled all of Warwickshire. They had taken some prisoners, including Duke Gudliek’s son and heir, Torbrand. Torbrand was a likable lad, and was actually more Anglo-Saxon than Norwegian, which gave me hope for the future of Mercia and England. So, I made sure he was made comfortable in his confinement. There was a brief moment of time when Duke Gudliek first learned of his son’s capture where he was ready to end his war, but before I could take advantage of it, the moment passed and the war continued.

EyA73Cx.jpg

P4hOCuO.jpg

As winter closed in and the snows began to pile up, Leodis fell to Mercia. My army was marching back to Northumbria to try and bring the enemy to battle, or at least free my people from enemy occupation. I learned that one of my prisoners was a young noble girl named Martha Saundrasdatter de Sarria. Her mother couldn’t pay ransom, but I made sure the girl was also placed under house arrest rather than keeping a child in a dungeon cell.

c97FNXm.jpg

Eoforwic and Lincoln fell in the spring of 1185 and my vassal Earl Æthelbald of Lindsey was taken prisoner by Duke Gudliek. By midsummer, my army was camped outside of Leodis attempting to root out the Mercian garrison. Duke Udo was soon doing the same thing in Eoforwic. By September, both our armies had finished out tasks and were converging to free Poclintun. Duke Udo left the East Riding to me and continued south to relieve Lincoln. Meanwhile, the Mercians had marched west and were now besieging Derby.

Z971BTd.jpg

But September also saw the start of a new conflict in England. King Ecgberht’s first act as King, most likely in response to two of his own Royal Council being at war, had been to institute High Crown Authority in England to prevent vassals from fighting each other. It didn’t stop our current war, but was intended to prevent further conflicts in the future. Duke Rolf III of East Seaxe and several others saw that as the King overstepping his bounds and launched a revolt to keep the King from stepping on his vassals’ “Liberty”. With his two most powerful vassals fighting each other, King Ecgberht was forced to call in his foreign allies to try and restore order in the Kingdom, including King Claeuwaert of Italy and King Ulf of Sweden. But even with their support, he could not match the rebels’ strength. Especially since King Claeuwaert was already fighting three other wars that stretched his resources from the Italian Alps to the Holy Land.

yTyp9S9.jpg

DbwWKDl.jpg

I, of course, ignored the King’s troubles, partly because I agreed with the rebel demands, but mainly because I already had a war to win. I had found another knight to join my court, a ruffian named Wulf Æbbing, a fearless warrior, who was willing to fight for me as long as I paid him.

5bAsCSM.jpg

While the East Riding and Lindsey were soon freed once again, Derby was now held by the Mercians. This cycle needed to be broken, I was convinced that only a pitched battle would end this. Early in the new year, my army marched west in search of the enemy. But it seemed Duke Gudliek had lost all stomach for the war, and wanted his son Torbrand back home safe. In February of 1186, after three years of war, he agreed to end the war and give up all claim to the East Riding as well as pay restitution in the sum of 445 gold in exchange for the end of all hostilities and the return of his son. I happily agreed, having once more proven Northumbria’s prowess. Hopefully this time, Mercia had finally learned their lesson.

WY3AMUX.jpg

I released my levys and prepared winter camps for the mercenary companies to recover from three years of constant warfare. I ventured south to Winchester to report to the King and see where the Liberty Revolt stood. I found a changed Council as Duke Guriant of Cornwall and a commoner named Beorhtsige had replaced the rebels, Duke Rolf III and Earl Sverre, as Marshal and Spymaster, respectively. Guriant was still a useless fool, but I knew nothing of the spymaster, but he appeared to be at least competent. Archbishop Eadberht had passed away recently and the new Archbishop, a man named Maƚowuj, was now part of the Council. After a brief meeting with him, I had the impression he was much more knowledgeable than his predecessor. I wasn’t sure if this was a good or a bad thing.

Vk3o1uV.jpg

Currently, neither had made much progress in the Liberty war and I decided not to upset this balance. Whether Duke Gudliek and his former ally, Duke Guriant wanted to lend their support was up to them. I did know that Duke Gudliek was currently deep in debt as he had to take substantial loans in order to pay me restitution for his unprovoked attack, and most likely couldn’t afford to field an army.

I returned home and decided to make use of that windfall I had received from Mercia. I began planning a number of construction projects and improvements to my holdings. The work would begin in the Spring after the planting had been done. These improvements included building hound pens in Holmwick on the Isle of Man, constructing charcoal burners in Bernicia to support the ironworks, adding ditches to improve the defenses around Carleol, and raising a central donjon in Poclintun to anchor the defense of the East Riding.

Ah4EFGe.jpg

I also decided to take charge of my grandson’s education. Beorhtmær must learn to rule, not just our current duchies, but hopefully, someday, all of England.

9c9Owv1.jpg

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It seems the balance of power shifts further towards our side every day.

Reactions:
Mercia in its rightful place, under your thumb. May Bless You and Your Family, My Duchess.

Mercia's plans have once again been thwarted, hopefully they finally take the lesson to heart.

It seems the balance of power shifts further towards our side every day.

The Bamburghs of Northumbria continue to grow in power and are patiently positioning themselves to take their rightful place. They still hope to do it peacefully, with the support of the people, but their patience will only last so long.

Reactions:
1186 – 1189 Liberty for All
1186 – 1189 Liberty for All

The Liberty War in the south of England continued, though neither side had made much progress. I remained outside the conflict other than sending the minimal levys required by my feudal contract with King Ecgberht. I thanked the foresight of whichever of my ancestors who had established such a favorable vassal contract with the crown.

In August, a family arrived in Bebbanurg. They were unusual in that they hailed from the Iberian Peninsula, but not from Catholic Navarra or Castille but rather from one of the Mahommedan territories. The head of the family was an Andalusian named Hakam Wazirid, and along with his wife and two young sons, he was seeking sanctuary after years of wandering. He promised to share his knowledge of the world in exchange for a place to call home. As Chancellor of England, I saw this as a welcome opportunity to learn more of a part of the world I had only seen as an enemy during the Fifth Crusade for Castille. So, I welcomed Hakam and his family to Bebbanburg with open arms. While I didn’t make an issue of Hakam’s heathen religion, I did make it clear that his sons would be taught of Christ and the Catholic traditions. He acknowledged that it might be for the best in the long run. The boys, 12-year old Umar and 4-year old Abu-Bakr, were given Leofrun Bolton as their tutor in the Anglo Saxon tongue.

n5Xoz4E.jpg

Hakam did bring some news of my kin in the Duchy of Coimbra. Duchess Wynnflæd was well, as was her husband, Duke Suibne of León. The eldest son and heir, was married to Goto Venigómez, the sister to the Duchess of Asturias, and the couple had a son. Their other son, Ramón, had just married an Occitan noblewoman named Sança d’Agen who had joined them all at Duchess Wynnflæd’s court in Castelo Branco. The two daughters were also happily married.

hKoElzd.jpg

He also had news from areas outside of Iberia. He and his family had visited Constantinople, where Basileus Bardas II of House Kommenos ruled the Byzantine Empire. The Empire stretched north, completing surrounding the Black Sea and pushing into the plains and even having scattered outposts in the great taiga forests.

53S1iWK.jpg

He had news of my kin in Catholic Mirdasid. King Ealdwine was defending against High Chief Mukhtar Bar Nasr of Baghdad who was trying to seize the County of Rahba. Tragically, King Ealdwine’s oldest son and heir, Prince Áilgenán had been captured and castrated by the enemy at the age of 15. This left the younger 5-year old Prince Demmán as the only viable heir to all of the King’s titles. Hakam also spoke of the great Seljuk Sultan al-Muazzam Iskender Mesudoglu of the Persian Empire, which stretched from the Holy Land to fabled Hindustan.

gcFGb9f.jpg

5BKcb0q.jpg

More recently, on his way north, Hakam had visited France which was in the middle of revolt where Duke Boson of Champagne was fighting against the tyranny of the young King Guiges II Capet. If Duke Boson succeeded in his war, France would pass to Guiges’ twin brother, King Gaucher of Aragon, who was basically King in name only as he was living in exile, holding a single county in Aquitaine, after Aragon lost all of its traditional lands to the Moors and to some vassals of France. King Gaucher was incidentally married to my kinswoman, Der-bForgaill nic Sigeberht of Leinster.

1ZPdNNL.jpg

My contracts with the Madhmann’s Company and the Retinue of Hengist ran out, and I saw no reason to renew them as Northumbria itself was at peace. I thanked them for their service and sent them on their way.

My vassal and cousin, Countess Wulfwynn de Criel of Cheshire, was now also Duchess of Alsace, as her husband, Meinhard von Urslingen, had inherited his father’s Duchy. She had headed to the Continent to spend most of her time in Alsace and be near her children, though they were all adults with their own lives. Unfortunately, her husband became involved in a war with a Count Ebregisal of Sundgau, who had attacked and taken Duchess Wulfwynn, her daughter, Ingeltrude von Urslingen, and her daughter-in-law, Astrid Yngling, as prisoners. Wulfwynn’s son and heir (to both the Earldom of Cheshire, as well as the Duchy of Alsace), Kuno von Urslingen, had also been wounded in the attack, though he had eluded capture. I prayed for their safe deliverance, but there was little else I could do.

ZdZfX0g.jpg

I did continue my martial training, as I intended never to be meekly captured by an enemy. I often trained with my knights, and recently enjoyed a rather spirited duel with Eadbald Fortescue that had drawn a crowd as we had traded blows. The sword was still my weapon of choice and I was happy to see I had lost none of my skills and was still able to more than hold my own against even the most formidable of foes.

up3P6mP.jpg

In November, the rebels led by Duke Rolf II had dealt the King a serious blow, they had breached the walls of Winchester and taken several members of the Royal family hostage, two of King Ecgberht’s younger children, Prince Werestan and Princess Sigrid, as well as Queen Helga herself. With his family endangered and still heavily outnumbered, King Ecgberht became desperate, and took a chance on ending the war in by bringing the rebels to battle at Ampthill. Instead, it was a disaster, and the King himself was captured along with my old foe, Duke Gudliek of Mercia.

With the Kingdom deep in debt and his family sharing his cell, King Ecgberht finally conceded defeat, changing the law of the land to Limited Crown Authority which still left him the right as King to revoke titles and retract vassals, but did not allow him to dictate how his vassals ran their affairs and dealt with their neighbors, including fighting for their rights against their fellow vassals.

cLSboqf.jpg

I was quite pleased at this result, preferring the less restrictive Limited Crown Authority. While I hadn’t been one the King’s comrades in arms like Duke Gudliek (whose release was not part of the peace negotiations, so he was still Duke Rolf’s prisoner until his bankrupt Duchy could raise a ransom). I was also not one of the vassals who had raised arms against him. And since he had not asked my advice before he had enacted High Crown Authority in the first place (which I would have advised against), he could not hold me to blame for the war starting in the first place. On the other side, I had not actively fought against the rebels, so they had no ill will toward me either. All in all, it worked out well for Northumbria, especially as I would soon be considering war against a fellow vassal to reclaim what was mine.

But before that came to pass, I first attended a wedding, as my kinsman, Duke Udo II of Frisia, took Princess Cwenburg Ecberhtdohtor Vognsen as his second wife. Princess Cwenburg was younger than both of Duke Udo’s two married daughters. The wedding had been hastily arranged (with my help as Chancellor of course) after Princess Cwenburg had delivered a daughter out of wedlock, little Æthelswith Cwenburgdohtor Vognsen. I welcomed the chance for potentially more Bamburghs with ties to the throne of England. Udo’s daughters were less pleased. If the obviously fertile Princess should give their father a son, they would each lose their inheritance of a Duchy, Frisia for one and Lower Lorraine for the other.

5hXPJGz.jpg

I also attended a feast in Lincoln at the invitation of my vassal and former ward, Earl Æthelbald of Lindsey and his wife Countess Ela. It was a small affair, but enjoyable. The Countess got a bit little too far into her cups, but after spending time in siege camps surrounded by drunken soldiers, I easily laughed it off, earning her gratitude. I did meet Æthelbald’s heir again, Hacon Ross, who was showing promise, though he was awfully thin. And his eldest daughter Eanswith, who was almost of age and already betrothed to a knight in Cheshire named Adalbero FitzGertrude, who I learned was forty years old. I wasn’t sure what had led to a betrothal with a landless knight, but it was not my place to interfere, though I felt bad for the girl.

kmpKpMK.jpg

When I returned home, I received the annual petition from my Uncle Osulf, once more begging for release from his prison cell. Once again, I refused, though I was concerned as reports said he had begun skipping meals and growing weaker. But I could not let my compassion lead to the release of a treacherous villain who had twice betrayed me and had plotted against my very life, and by his own words was in some way responsible for the death of his own brother, my father.

ZPOq3SF.jpg

My oldest daughter, Beorhtgyth, came of age. She had excelled in an understanding of stewardship, administrating lands and people, and just how to best acquire and make use of gold. These skills would have been much sought after by any prospective husband, but my daughter had no desire for marriage, or for men at all. I did not press her for the moment and held off looking for any match. I also received some more good news on my return. My niece Eadgyth, Countess of Lancashire was expecting her second child.

TQ17wNe.jpg

It was a month later that Northumbria was once more set upon a path to war.

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions: