• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A question for all, since I'm a little stumped:

Since Eadmund's ancestry is uncertain, what would his descendants be named? Eadmundings (it sounds silly, I know :p)?

As I'm writing the next chapter, I'm struggling to name what his dynasty would be called, seeing as he's not really related to Wuffa (as far as we know, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong). It's very cumbersome referring to the in-game name "of East Anglia." I've tried to call them "East Anglians," but it gets rather confusing.

I'm sure many of you within AARland would have much more creativity concerning this, as opposed to what I'd name this noble house! ;)

No need to answer, of course, this may be a silly question.

(Pretty sure I can ask this in this thread. If not, I'll move it to AARs, LPs, and Fanfiction. :) )

Some nickname, banner of his deeds, dynastic boast or geographical/titular name would be fine.

Anglia maybe. Current head of the family is sneaky, and has been pushed/now wants to actively compete with the King of England. And they have a ready made excuse for it (they are from East anglia and own most of angle land) whilst also carrying the claim of being the true rulers of the English.

• 1Love
Reactions:
IX. A MATTER OF SUCCESSION (2 of 2)

IX. A MATTER OF SUCCESSION

Wulfgar of Surrey, supposedly the lover of Wynnflæd in 951
1707904771280.png

Amidst the Winter of 945, the East Anglian court was gripped by both scandal and tragedy. The legitimacy of Wynnflæd’s own children had been put into question by much of the realm’s nobility, as an extramarital affair had been uncovered between the Lady of the East Angles and a Thegn from Surrey. Their relationship had supposedly been ongoing for close to a decade, and coincided with the birth of Wynnflæd’s first three children.

Coincidentally, the East Anglian Lady had contracted tuberculosis four months following the supposed discovery of Wynnflæd’s adulterous nature. To many, this was divine retribution for her impiety. However, no action was pursued to rectify her purported infidelity.

Wynnflaed cheating O_O.png

As gossip enthralled Dunwich’s court, a second misfortune had befallen the realm in Winchester. Perhaps, the pressures of ruling a kingdom – to live up to Eormenred’s legacy – had overwhelmed Cerdic, and had caused a fatal brain haemorrhage in December, dying at the age of 38. His cousin, Swithræd – Ealdorman of Kent – had assumed the throne with the support of the Witan, as a hastily-organised coronation occurred in Kingston-upon-Thames one month following Cerdic’s death.

Cerdic’s brother, Eormenred the Younger, had disputed the election of his cousin in January, and had gathered significant support in Wales to claim England as his birthright. Unofficially, this had marked Wales’ separation from the English crown’s domination, as Eormenred the Younger had split the realm between cultural lines, perhaps unintentionally creating a unified Welsh realm under the guise of an Anglo-Saxon one. Swithræd, in recognition of Wynnflæd’s support in his ascension to the throne, had extended the Lady’s East Anglian Ealdormanry south to the northern banks of the Thames, incorporating Essex into his northern vassal’s burgeoning domain, previously administered by the Ealdormanry of Kent.

1707904977809.jpeg

England in 947

While Eormenred’s Welsh aristocracy – particularly Gwynedd’s – had backed his claim to the English throne, none had supported the assertion of his birthright, content with low-intensity raids on Mercia’s border. Unlike his cousin, the pretender lacked any demesne to call his own and wielded scant influence over the actions of his supposed subjects. In reality, his claim posed little threat to Swithræd – So much so that Wynnflæd's requests to fortify the Welsh border were invariably denied by the new king.

On the 1st of May, 947, Wynnflæd had once more made the trek to Winchester to legitimise her submission to Swithræd. This time, however – despite the King’s expressed disdain for the East Anglian Lady – Wynnflæd had brought nothing but words. Between June and July, the Lady suffered notable familial loss, as fate had dealt her two tragedies. Her twin-sons, Stigand and Sæweald, had both died. One, a stillborn, and the other succumbing to the pneumonia which had gripped the one-month-old since late-June.

1707905259049.png

Swithræd, King of the English
Despite her deteriorating physical health, Wynnflæd endured two attempts on her life in 949, emerging remarkably victorious against both man and nature. To many, it appeared that Wynnflæd, in spite of her sins, was invincible. Such a myth was reinforced the following year, as, according to East Anglian sources, she was miraculously cured of her ailments, including the tuberculosis which had haunted the Lady’s life for a half-decade.

In January of 951, she became pregnant with her seventh child. As many, assumedly, grumbled at her invincibility and feigned their celebrations, the impossible occurred – Wynnflæd had choked on her dinner and abruptly passed away in June. Coincidentally, her lover – the Thegn from Surrey – had passed away the same year. This, much to the misfortune of her family, had occurred in the midst of an attempted Norse conquest of East Anglia. As she died, her properties were passed on to her two living sons, Morcær and Wulfstan, and the Ealdormanries which she had administered were reserved for their appointments until they had come of age.

As East Anglia was undergoing a chaotic transition of power, the King’s fyrd had repelled the Norse siege of Dunwich in September with the support of the garrison, and had driven a force of almost 7,000 to the sea. Following the Anglo-Saxon repellance of would-be Norse conquerors in 951, the King wielded greater authority than any previously, exerting considerable influence and de facto control over the extensive realm that Beornwulf had conquered two decades prior. As such, East Anglian and West Saxon sources no longer conflict with each other in the titling of any future Lords, with the south-eastern and northern kingdoms officially incorporated into the English realm by 952 – though this had occurred in all but name since 940.

morcar.png
Wulfstan.jpg

Left: Morcær, Right: Wulfstan

Morcær, compared to his youngest brother – a 5-year-old Wulfstan – suffered much in the vicious political fallout following his mother’s death. Questions of his bastardry were ever-present in courtly circles, with his brother receiving more favour among the northern nobility. His upbringing in Warwick, as opposed to a more traditional childhood in Dunwich had given Wulfstan more cultural familiarity with the Mercians particularly, and had made the Northumbrians more accepting of a southern noble ruling the north. While Morcær had suffered much in the struggles for influence and favour in his great-grandfather’s conquests, his second brother – a 6-year-old Osric – had received nothing from his inheritance, fading into obscurity among the political backstabbings and feuds. A son, or child, receiving no inheritance was an incredibly uncommon practice for the period, as gavelkind, or similar forms of succession were favoured, and customary for 10th century England.

In addition to this unfavoured position, Morcær had become an unwitting scapegoat in a struggle for power within Northumbria. The Bishop of York had made attempts to increase his own influence at the expense of the realm – and upon receiving pushback, had pinned much of his own shortcomings on the young Morcær. This had culminated in the boy’s disappearance from Dunwich’s court somewhere between July and August of 953, and was never mentioned thereafter in any contemporary sources – a complete disappearance from the historical record.

England Feb 952.png

England in 952, before Morcær's disappearance

Regardless of the facts presented, a 7-year-old Wulfstan was the sole inheritor of his mother’s personal properties by 953, and was provided with the expectation that he would rise to the position of Ealdorman of the northern realms (and East Anglia) upon adulthood – a burden which the boy was not meant to shoulder so early, and for such significant swathes of land.

1707905900407.png

Europe in 970, 19 Years after Wynnflæd's Passing

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
And that concludes Wynnflaed's life. Personally, I was very dissatisfied with the first chapter for Wynnflaed, and this, hopefully, is much better in terms of writing quality. Wulfstan certainly has his work cut out for him... Do you think he has potential? How do you think Wynnflaed was as a ruler?

In other news, this AAR has now officially passed the 11,000 words mark. Hooray!

Stay tuned! :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I’m scared to ask what happened to Morcar…
To be straightforward, he was led into the forest to play (or something, not sure) and was abandoned, where he died. Starved, probably. :confused:

Not a very pleasant way to go, but then again, very few people were a fan of him. They should've given the poor lad a chance!

Reactions:
To be straightforward, he was led into the forest to play (or something, not sure) and was abandoned, where he died. Starved, probably. :confused:

Not a very pleasant way to go, but then again, very few people were a fan of him. They should've given the poor lad a chance!
Horrible, but somehow it’s better than being buried alive, which is what I was expecting.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I hope that the new ruler is up to the task of ruling most of England. Maybe the House of Wessex will grow weak, and he can finally enthrone himself as King of England?

Why was the realm initially only divided in half? What succession law does England have? Osric would've gotten some land under gavelkind...

Poor Morcær!

Reactions:
Horrible, but somehow it’s better than being buried alive, which is what I was expecting.
Agreed. Compared to that, starving in a forest is a little more merciful.
What a brutal end for Morcær. Hard ball politics.

What happened to King Swithræd? How did he lose his face? Perhaps I missed that part?

We will see if Wulfstan is up to the challenge of ruling such a large realm given the politics he must face.
I really wanted Morcar to succeed, I really did. But many in the realm hated that poor fellow because he was "not preferred ruler." Unfortunate, really, seeing as he would've came out of any regency faster.

As for Swithræd, I'm not entirely sure. He had a face 5 years ago, and then when he became the King of England, he no longer had one. Confusing, really... Maybe it was something rather simple like a botched medical treatment, but I'd like to believe something much cooler happened to him!

One can only hope that Wulfstan has the guile and will to rule a realm that's starting to like the East Anglian Dynasty much, much less. Wynnflaed's escapades have certainly smeared the noble house's name.
I hope that the new ruler is up to the task of ruling most of England. Maybe the House of Wessex will grow weak, and he can finally enthrone himself as King of England?

Why was the realm initially only divided in half? What succession law does England have? Osric would've gotten some land under gavelkind...

Poor Morcær!
Some big things happen to England during Wulfstan's time, especially concerning succession. Since inheritance laws really start splitting Wessex apart, it's all but certain that the crown will grow weaker, and will - if Wulfstan restores his family's authority - need to rely more on their northern vassal.

Osric wasn't one of the favoured children, I suppose. Wynnflaed is rather cruel in that aspect. The poor fellow certainly got the short end of the stick, that's for sure. But he'll come back later in the story, I assure you.

Morcar certainly had promise. I didn't expect the poor boy to be done that dirty... :confused:

Also, I think this is something "announcement" worthy:

I've made a decision to, upon completion of the CK3 campaign, to convert it to EU4, so England's story - and Eadmund's legacy - continues for another 400-or-so years. Game-wise, at the very least. Hooray! :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Europe is fast becoming divided up between a few massive realms. Interesting.

England meanwhile is begining to consolidate too. Though they've lost Wales and still have the problem of 3/4s of the kingdom belonging to one person, and that person is not the king.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Europe is fast becoming divided up between a few massive realms. Interesting.

England meanwhile is begining to consolidate too. Though they've lost Wales and still have the problem of 3/4s of the kingdom belonging to one person, and that person is not the king.
It certainly is. Khazaria and Novgorod, however, end up collapsing roughly a half-century later. The Byzantines do nothing but get stronger, as is their fashion in CK3, with only a few mishaps here and there.

These issues regarding who owns the Kingdom's lands will be addressed in the coming century, and in my opinion, for the better, as England manages to centralise.

Reactions:
It certainly is. Khazaria and Novgorod, however, end up collapsing roughly a half-century later. The Byzantines do nothing but get stronger, as is their fashion in CK3, with only a few mishaps here and there.

These issues regarding who owns the Kingdom's lands will be addressed in the coming century, and in my opinion, for the better, as England manages to centralise.
I noted in GEN when the game first launched that the Byzantine were OP purely for having the best inheritance system in the game by Default upon game start. You can choose who gets to be the heir, and they get everything.

Plus all the other OP stuff about the Byzantines that have to be there for historical and roleplay reasons, with none of the drawbacks, or none that aren't easily avoidable.

Will do a CK3 Roman game at some point to demonstrate their ludicrousity. In fact, already played the game that could serve the AAR. The legend of Zeus Megatrousers.

Reactions:
Wynnflæd passes and to be frank a disappointment. I expected little good given her start, and that duly occurred, but it seems most of her cunning was deployed to help her stay in power despite her adulterous shenanigans. Then again things did not go backwards for the East Anglians during her rule, so despite the disaster of her personal life at least she didn't make things worse for her subjects.

I am unconvinced by Adrien's reaction, a French nobleman complaining about infidelity is a bit disconcerting and out of character frankly. Still he can put on a stripey polo neck and start out across the Northumberland coast in black and white to take his mind off it, perhaps making some psuedo-philosophical commentary on the flight of the birds.

And so to Wulfstan, I wonder who his regent is? It's probably not his actual father Wulfgar of Surrey, though it would be fund if it was.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I noted in GEN when the game first launched that the Byzantine were OP purely for having the best inheritance system in the game by Default upon game start. You can choose who gets to be the heir, and they get everything.

Plus all the other OP stuff about the Byzantines that have to be there for historical and roleplay reasons, with none of the drawbacks, or none that aren't easily avoidable.

Will do a CK3 Roman game at some point to demonstrate their ludicrousity. In fact, already played the game that could serve the AAR. The legend of Zeus Megatrousers.
Yes, Byzantium can get rather ridiculous in the late-game. I'm sure the Mongols can set them straight a little, but that might not last for long.

Hopefully, with some additional content later down the road, the Byzantines can be fixed to balance out their quite favourable starting position, and be given some drawbacks.

Zeus Megatrousers sounds like he'd be a legendary character. A name which will forever echo throughout the annals of history!

Wynnflæd passes and to be frank a disappointment. I expected little good given her start, and that duly occurred, but it seems most of her cunning was deployed to help her stay in power despite her adulterous shenanigans. Then again things did not go backwards for the East Anglians during her rule, so despite the disaster of her personal life at least she didn't make things worse for her subjects.

I am unconvinced by Adrien's reaction, a French nobleman complaining about infidelity is a bit disconcerting and out of character frankly. Still he can put on a stripey polo neck and start out across the Northumberland coast in black and white to take his mind off it, perhaps making some psuedo-philosophical commentary on the flight of the birds.

And so to Wulfstan, I wonder who his regent is? It's probably not his actual father Wulfgar of Surrey, though it would be fund if it was.
Absolutely. Very poor skills overall, and while it was smart for her to delegate many of her duties to her vassals, her incompetence in navigating her way through mediaeval diplomacy was appalling, as is representative of her zero in diplomacy. I think her ensnaring England in civil war is quite representative of such. While East Anglia didn't really take many steps backwards, she's smeared her family's names through cow pat. While the nobility questioning Morcar's bastardry were my own machinations, he was still deeply disliked, and while I can't remember exactly why, I'd like to think the boy hadn't really been given a chance to repair his reputation since his mother's escapades.

Adrien must be lying through his teeth! Being French AND monogamous is impossible. :p

His regent, in a surprising twist of fate, is Burghred of Hereford, which is the son of the late Alfgar. A very self-interested regent if my memory serves me well, but then again, I think I would be to if I had a chance to get back at the buggers who stole everything from my family name! Wulfgar of Surrey is also very much dead, and maybe it's for the better. Can't have a man such as him running around court! Conveniently, he died at roughly the same time as Wynnflaed... o_O

A little more focus will be put on him as Wulfstan's uncle, Wulf of Stafford, and his father, Adrien, grapple for control of Mercia from Burghred's hands. Maybe a paragraph or two will be dedicated to such retelling. I'm rather certain that children cannot be Ealdormen, so I'll try and frame it in the aspect that this is more trying to gather the King's favour and usurp what is, customarily hereditary for the East Anglians.

Reactions:
Hey all,

Since university is starting up very soon in Western Australia, I'll be releasing the next chapter in two weeks as opposed to the usual one. My apologies, dear readers! I'd just like to acquaint myself with the workload and where I can slot in my writing time. :)

Reactions:
Last update before the next chapter, I promise! I just want to try and be as transparent as possible.

With the rate that I'm writing this first chapter on Wulfstan, expect it to come out between the 5th and the 7th. I'm sorry to keep you waiting for so long, but I feel it's necessary to write something I'm satisfied with. Until then!

Reactions:
Last update before the next chapter, I promise! I just want to try and be as transparent as possible.

With the rate that I'm writing this first chapter on Wulfstan, expect it to come out between the 5th and the 7th. I'm sorry to keep you waiting for so long, but I feel it's necessary to write something I'm satisfied with. Until then!
Thank you so much, @Koweth . Good to keep readers apprised. But if there's one thing I've learned here it is almost everyone is very understanding. They will come back to the work when fresh material appears (usually). So take as much time as necessary. We will be here. The loyal readers will return. Don't stress about that. Yes, it may work differently in other places. But you can take your time here. We will all benefit from that in the end.

• 1Love
Reactions:
X. EALDORMAN WULFSTAN OF THE MERCIANS, PART ONE (1 of x)

X. EALDORMAN WULFSTAN OF THE MERCIANS, PART ONE

Wulfstan, Ealdorman of Mercia and Northumbria at 16 Years of Age

Wulfstan at 16.png

In a surprising twist of fate, the man entrusted with the governance of the King’s largest vassal was Burghred of Hereford, a grandson of the last Mercian King. Upon Ælfgar’s passing in 932, the nobleman had amassed significant wealth and power, and while not previously enough to rival the East Anglian Ealdormen, the circumstances following Wynnflæd’s death in 951 had given this plucky Thegn the chance to restore the prominence of his family. Needless to say, Burghred was – according to contemporary scholars in Warwick – completely self-interested, and pursued his own desires during his tenure as opposed to the betterment of the realm as a whole.

Wulfstan, during the tumultuous period of his upbringing, had two principal supporters of the status quo, being Wulf of Stafford, his second cousin and legitimised bastard son of Æthelburh – granddaughter of the late King Eadmund – and his father, Adrien of Auxerre. Both had taken responsibility for the protection of the child, and had managed to curry enough favours to have the support of the dioceses in Lichfield and York.

Burghred, while of Mercian ancestry, had gathered significant support amongst the now-disgruntled Northumbrian aristocracy. Among the East Angles’ court there were a scant few Northumbrians which could be considered important figures regarding matters of governance, and were largely unheard and underrepresented in their own realm. Important figures such as Reeves and land-holders were overwhelmingly East Anglian or Mercian, and despite the Ealdormanry’s size and significance, had been relegated to a more secondary position within Anglo-Saxon politics.

1710474598595.png

Burghred of Hereford, grandson of King Burghred of the Mercians

Understandably, those Northumbrians who still held political and military significance felt marginalised, and began colluding with Burghred to pilfer the young Wulfstan’s inheritance. While not known whether the Northumbrians had explicitly conspired with the nobleman to usurp Wulfstan’s status, the general consensus remains that the Northumbrian Revolt of 960 was most likely a joint effort by those who felt disgruntled with the establishment, Burghred among these significant figures. While not directly involved in the revolt, the Thegn had much to gain from the rebellion’s success.

Much to the detriment of the Northumbrian rebels, the conflict was remarkably swift for a rebellion of its magnitude. After the Ealdormanry’s fyrd was raised to crush a heresy in Worcester, the army had moved to meet the rebel nobles outside of Leicester, four-thousand men on opposite sides of the battlefield. The limited knowledge modern historians have on the Battle of Bardon Hill is incredibly limited, however, what is clear is that the struggle near the heights was an unanticipated victory for the East Angles, and the aftermath had resulted in the death or capture of many significant rebel leaders. It is widely acknowledged that such events during Wulfstan's formative years contributed to the development of his paranoia, which was tempered only by the support of his close circle of loved ones and advisers.

Northumbrian Revolt.png

Northumbrian Revolt of 960

By late-August of 961, Wulfstan – or more accurately, his supporters – had managed to secure his position as Ealdorman of both Mercia and Northumbria, appointed by Swithræd to govern the two Ealdormanries on the 30th. Interestingly, Wulfstan was not given the opportunity to govern East Anglia. It was at this time that his sixteen-year-old brother – one year Wulfstan’s senior – Osric, had re-appeared on the historical record, and was given his due inheritance in the form of the Ealdormanry of East Anglia. There are two possibilities for this outcome, being that Osric was not recorded in great detail following the tumultuous period of his mother’s death, and as such, already had the rights to Wynnflæd’s East Anglian properties – or, he hadn’t received his birthright, and Swithræd had made the decision to appoint Wulfstan’s brother as East Anglian Ealdorman to diminish the family’s prominence within Anglo-Saxon politics.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Wulfstan's life is incredibly interesting, and as much as I'd like to comment on it, I'd like to profusely apologise for my latency in creating these. I know that some of you may not mind, but my own guilty conscience is weighing me down, haha. I didn't want to make constant updates on the situation mainly because I didn't want to flood this thread with my own, non-essential responses (at least, what I view non-essential). :)

This is all I could whip up during this time, and I hope you enjoy what I've written thus far. Updates, as I have now learned, may come out a little slower than before.

Alongside this, I have a couple announcements regarding this AAR. Since Legends of the Dead has been released, I've been having issues with this CK3 game. Certainly was a long awaited update - and a good one at that - however, the game has been rather slow, and I've been experiencing constant crashes. I must prepare you, my dear readers, for the eventuality that this AAR may not reach its completion - which is a shame.

Additionally, I have made this CK3 game multiplayer, and two of my long-time friends have joined this interesting narrative being spun throughout Europe. While fun, this has also probably been compounding the game's issues with running. I believe, most recently, it took everyone two hours to get across six years of gameplay. :confused:

Thank you for reading, and I'm sorry for the long wait, especially for something of this size.

Reactions: