• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fiftypence

Debased coinage
35 Badges
Aug 19, 2004
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • For The Glory
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
inca9.jpg

The Last Inca

- 1 -​
Zopahua felt sick, and lonely. It had been three days since he had walked, with nothing but his dagger by his hip and the clothes on his back, into the wilderness, and it had been three days since he had last eaten even a morsel of food. The mountain air was cold and still, and the only sound was the trickle of the stream, beside which Zopahua lay. Above him a condor swooped and soared majestically, and for the last ten minutes his eyes had been fixed upon it, his awe tempered only by hunger-induced apathy.

On his chest slept a cavy*, which had been given to him by Amauta Ninancoro just before he set off, to serve as an offering. He was sorely tempted to kill it and eat it here and now, but resisted, fearful of the consequences of such an action. The gods would not look upon it lightly, and Zopahua respected and feared them more than anybody or anything else in the entire world. His fast had to last until he reached his destination, no matter how long it took.

After a couple of minutes he crawled over to the stream, and scooped up handfuls of water to his mouth. It was not far now, he hoped, so once he had quenched his thirst he forced himself to his feet and began walking, stumbling along the deserted trail, holding the cavy close to his chest. As he did, he longed for Cuzco. It was the first time in his thirteen years he had ever left the city, and already he missed it terribly. He was so used to the constant sounds and smells of the city, the scent of roasting alpaca and sweet potato, the wondrous embrace of coca, the warmth and comfort of his quarters. This place, with its starkness and desolation, Zopahua thought, must be what Uca Pacha is like, that terrible realm where the damned reside, ruled over by the Great Snake of the earth.

The air grew chillier as he continued his ascent along the winding path, and it was murky twilight when he turned a bend in the road, and suddenly found himself standing before the entrance to the cave. He let out a little gasp of delight and relief, for he knew immediately that this was it. This part of his journey was over.

He entered the cavernous space cautiously, nervous of what secrets the deep shadows could be hiding, and in the dying light he set his eyes on a boulder, that lay almost exactly in the middle of the cave floor. It was quite smooth and round and humongous, almost as tall as him, and Zopahua wondered how many men it had taken to lift it and place it here. He knew that buried beneath was the mummified remains of an ancient warlord, whose name had long since been forgotten. It was said that the spirit of the chief now resided in the boulder, and took the form of various animals when he appeared to travellers who came to invoke him, to seek advice or to secure assistance. Beyond the boulder lay a large pile of bones of all shapes and sizes, many of them human. A skull grinned at Zopahua, its hollow eye sockets making him shiver in the gloom.

He lingered before the boulder, and glanced down at the cavy. It was docile as ever, and he stroked it vaguely. He felt no sympathy for the creature, for he knew what an honour it was to be offered at a huaca** as a sacrifice. Even so, it was with some reluctance that he drew the shiny dagger that he kept by his hip, holding the cavy in his other hand. He muttered a few prayers, and then, holding it by the scruff of its neck, cut open the small creature across its torso so swiftly that it was dead almost instantly, its glistening innards spilling wetly onto the cave floor.

Zopahua gagged and closed his eyes hard, and he felt an overwhelming light-headedness, so intense that it felt as if his soul was floating away from his body. When he opened them again he was in a different place, a mountain top, with nothing but a bright blue sky above him and a sheer drop not far in front of him. In the vast, sweeping valley below, he could see no sign of civilisation; none of the roads or cities or terraced farms of the kingdom of Cuzco. Just wilderness. A tree with crooked branches hung precariously over the edge of the mountainside close to where he stood, and he watched with detached interest as the condor circled above him, eventually gliding down and landing on the branch nearest to him with immense grace.

“Your offering is accepted,” the condor said, its voice crackly and ancient. “Don’t fear, I would not expect one so young to bring a slave or a child, for you are little more than a child yourself.”

Zopahua gulped, and nodded. The condor shifted on the branch, and said,

“What is it that you seek? You are hungry and weary, and have travelled far. It must be something of grave importance for you to undertake such a quest.”

“I…” Zopahua said, struggling to overcome a feeling of unease at talking to a bird. “I come to ask of my destiny. My future. I have been having recurring nightmares, and when I mentioned it to Amauta Ninancoro he said it was a sign, a portent…but he didn‘t know what it meant.”

The condor laughed a deep, growling laugh. The bird stood absolutely still, and the sound seemed to Zopahua to be entirely within his head. “You wish to know the future?”

Zopahua nodded eagerly. “Yes, yes I do.”

“Very well. In your dreams you see storm clouds, don’t you? The sky grows heavier and heavier until it’s almost black. Then, the rain comes. The rain falls, and as it splashes onto your skin and into your hair you realise it’s not water that’s falling from the sky, but blood. But you don’t run for shelter, or collapse to your knees in disgust and terror, but instead you stand and revel in it, until you are the only one who remains, your black hair drenched and your skin stained crimson. You stand, as the blood rises first to your ankles, then your knees, and eventually till it has covered your face and you’re suffocating. You stand, firm and resolute like the boulder in my cave, while others flee. You are the last to remain in this terrible deluge, until eventually even you are swept away.“

The condor gazed straight at Zopahua, its beady eyes full of dark intelligence. The boy took a step back, his eyes wide. “Yes, that’s my dream. But what does it all mean?”

“The future is not set in stone, nor is the meaning of your visions. Evil times are coming, but if you tirelessly devote yourself to supreme Inti and the creator Viracocha then maybe you will live a life full of peace and prosperity. Your destiny depends only on the choices you make. Never forget that.”

With that the condor flapped its wings heavily and flew away, and Zopahua watched it until it was just a dot, disappearing behind the mountains that rose in the distance. He closed his eyes, and after a jolting sensation of falling was once again back in the cave with the boulder. For a few moments the whole world appeared to be rising while at the same time remaining still, reminding him of the time, a few months before, when he and his cousin Pumi had snuck into one of the state warehouses and had drunk too much chicha.

He took one last look at the pile of bones and breathed deeply, and then tentatively picked up the remains of the cavy and carried it outside. He considered making a fire so as to roast the dead creature but quickly realised he lacked even this basic knowledge, so instead he devoured it raw, raising the cavy to his mouth and tearing at its stringy flesh with his teeth. The meat proved very bloody and tasted foul, and in truth did little to ease his hunger.

The stars were out, and in the moonlight Zopahua lay down on the hard floor, and overcome with exhaustion fell into a mercifully dreamless sleep. Once morning came, he began the long trek back to Cuzco, all the while thinking and puzzling over what the condor had said.

* known also as a guinea pig
** sacred place where a spirit dwells

A Fiftypence AAR ! Damn it's been a long time since I read one of yours (Somerset my last I think or was it Texas/Serbia? Oh nevermind.)

first post aka Virgin breaker!

Heavy narration and description gj

Are u going to include screenies or is it full narrative?

There are a few screenies, but I wasn't planning on making an AAR when I playing so unfortunately I didn't take many.

Well, this looks quite interesting! I'll definately be reading along! :D

Thanks!

A Fiftypence AAR ! Damn it's been a long time since I read one of yours (Somerset my last I think or was it Texas/Serbia? Oh nevermind.)

I've never done a Somerset AAR, but I have done Texas and Serbia AARs for Vicky.

Despite not being in the same style as the sheep Qara Koyunlu one, I should enjoy this.

Thanks, I hope you do. :)

So anyway, welcome to The Last Inca! If anyone's interested, the update above was inspired by this:

inca1.jpg

An excellent beginning, Fiftypence. Looking forward to where you go with this. More please. :)

inca10.jpg

The Last Inca

- 2 -​
The golden sun shone fiercely, and the sky was clear and brilliant. The waters of Lake Titicaca were still, and a lone fishing boat negotiated its way through the reeds and into the open water beyond, steered by an old man. His face was creased and ancient, his skin naturally pale but bronzed by the sun and his hair as white as the snow-capped peaks of the Andes.

In his one hand he held an oar, and in the other he held a wooden harpoon, its point so sharp you felt you could cut yourself just looking at it. He stared intently at the water, ready to spring into action at even the slightest ripple in the water. He had been sat in the same crouched position for hours now, but there was nothing. He could feel the heat of the sun on his back, and was beginning to grow slightly weary, and his thoughts turned to the village. He was aware they were depending on him, and that times were hard. All the young men were gone, killed in war, and he was the only one left who could go out on the water. The gods must have been displeased somehow, for the crops had also failed and the spectre of famine loomed, and the fish of Titicaca was their only hope.

All this weighed on his mind, but he did not move an inch.

Then, there! With lightning reflexes he plunged the harpoon into the water, but when he pulled it out there was nothing. He pursed his lips, and remained still.

There was another ripple. He attacked the water again, and was bemused when once again, there was no fish. He leant over and gazed at the lake, but could see nothing at all. The sun grew brighter.

He sat back in his boat, stroking his beard. He idly gazed up at the sky, and noticed something odd. Just above the mountains in the distance hung the moon, and he could have sworn it had not been there moments before. He frowned, and turned his attention back to the water, attempting to give it his full concentration.

There was movement in the water again, a few seconds later, but this time the water rose slightly, bulging and swelling like an insect bite before settling back down. The fisherman glanced up at the sky, at the moon above the mountains. It had vanished.

He paused, before wiping his eyes and shaking his head, and as he did droplets of his sweat splashed into the water. It must be the heat, he thought. The air was boiling hot, so much so that his skin felt like it was burning. He lay back in the boat, and saw that the moon was now right beside the sun, and was blood red.

He gulped, and felt a terrible sense of unease rising in him. The heat was playing tricks on him. That must be it. The alternative was beyond the bounds of possibility, he well knew. He felt the ground shake suddenly and violently beneath him, and he held on to his boat, waiting for it to pass, with a rising panic.

The water surged upwards, flinging his rickety boat into the air, and as it crashed back down to the water, the old fishermen fell into the water. He flailed wildly, and a wave of foamy water crashed into him, knocking all the energy out of him. He was powerless to resist as he felt his ancient frame going under, and as the water engulfed him he flapped against it ineffectively. It was too much. As he choked and water filled his lungs, he sensed a shadow above him, and then there was blackness.

***​
The fisherman opened his eyes, and found himself looking straight into the eyes of a young man, with black hair, smooth brown skin and deep, narrow eyes that gave the impression of a mixture of curiosity and worry, who in his hand carried a golden staff. He was sitting with his back facing the water, perched upon a rocky outcrop.

The old man breathed in and tried to speak, but found himself unable to. He collapsed into a coughing fit, bringing up more water than he thought it possible to contain within a human body. The man knelt beside him, and patted him on the back, and at last the fisherman was able to breathe freely.

“I’m…alive?” he wheezed. The young man nodded, with a benevolent smile. “You…did you save me?”

“Of course. I wasn’t going to let you drown!”

The fisherman sat up, and gazed at his surroundings. There was no sign of the previous chaos. The sun was warm but pleasant, and the moon was nowhere to be seen. The waters of Lake Titicaca were calm. He looked at the young man with the golden staff, and sensed that he looked somehow familiar.

“What happened? Where did you come from? The sun and the moon…I don‘t understand…”

The young man laughed, his face creasing, but then his eyes widened slightly. “I came from the same place as you; the lake.”

“I…what…” He focussed his eyes on the young man with the golden staff, and a whole maelstrom of thoughts began swirling round his head. Memories. He had forgotten something. He had forgotten everything. “Who are you?“

He beamed radiantly. “I am Manco Capac.”

“Well I must thank you from the bottom of my heart for saving my life. Your parents must have done a good job raising you.”

The young man looked up at the sky, and laughed. “Indeed they must.”

"They should be proud to have a son as fine as you." The fisherman hesitated. He felt like there was something he was missing here, something nagging at him. Eventually, he said with a croak, “Who am I?”

“You,” Manco Capac said, laying his hand on the old man’s shoulder with affection, “are my grandfather. It's been so long, and you have forgotten so much.”

He stared at the youth with doubting eyes, but nodded solemnly, as realisation set in, and the memories came flooding back. A deluge. Oh yes, now he remembered. He was almost certain. “I've not always been a fisherman, have I?" he asked weakly.

"Once, long ago, you were a beggar, and before that you were something else entirely."

"Then I am…?”

“Yes,” Manco Capac said, “you are the father of the sun and the moon. The supreme creator. You are Viracocha!”

Last edited:
I've never done a Somerset AAR, but I have done Texas and Serbia AARs for Vicky.

You didn't then it must be Leicester! You did a Leicester AAR right? If not.. Then i'm really confused..

Further more;

Excellent update

Very interesting. I assume this update was inspired by yet another event? I like how you are doing that. And the spiritual side of this AAR is great. You've captured that well.

You didn't then it must be Leicester! You did a Leicester AAR right? If not.. Then i'm really confused..

Further more;

Excellent update

Yep, Leicester was mine. Cheers. :)

Very interesting. I assume this update was inspired by yet another event? I like how you are doing that. And the spiritual side of this AAR is great. You've captured that well.

Actually no, this one was inspired purely by Inca Mythology. Inca myths are already incredibly jumbled, and I've jumbled them up a bit more. :D

Basically there will be two strands of narrative, one following Zopahua and the other following the legendary Manco Capac and Viracocha. Their relevance to one another will eventually become apparent.

what is a Viracocha?

Viracocha is a god, the creator of the world according to the Inca.

Expect an update either later today or, more likely, tomorrow. :)

inca11.jpg

A Quipu

The Last Inca

- 3 -​
The Houses of Knowledge were located in the heart of Cuzco, not far from the Palace of the Sapa Inca* Yahuar Huacac. Like all other buildings in the city, the walls were granite and sandstone, and light and smells and sounds streamed in from the city through open, slanted windows.

There was no finer architecture anywhere in the world; two years before, the kingdom had suffered a terrible earthquake, and while buildings in places such as Chanchan and Ollantaytambo had utterly collapsed, Cuzco held firm. Cuzco, with its plazas and palaces and Houses of Knowledge was not just a city, but a symbol of strength and finesse. This was the most important thing any young Inca had to learn. Whether they protected the city as a warrior or encouraged it to grow and thrive as a clerk, the love of Cuzco had to lie at the heart of it. This place had been founded by Manco Capac so many hundreds of years before, and was thus favoured by the gods.

The students were a mixture of royalty, nobility and the sons of conquered chiefs, and their teachers were the Amautas, a class of philosophers, poets and elders who imparted their knowledge and wisdom to the next generation. Zopahua and his four fellow learners were in their second year of education, and so they received lessons from Amauta Ninancoro.

“Right,” the black haired old man said as he adjusted his colourful headdress, his face a maze of crinkles and his eyes sunken and dark, “enough about the gods for today. I shall tell you some more of the story tomorrow. The rest of day shall be spent learning about the quipu.”

There was a collective groan, including from Zopahua. The quipu was a method used for storing large amounts of numbers, a necklace with many strands of finely woven cords of cotton hanging from it. It was not easy to learn how to read a quipu, and so much time was devoted to its study. Zopahua hated it, and much preferred learning of the gods and the history of the people of Cuzco.

Ninancoro laughed, and raised an eyebrow. “Ah, so you don’t wish to learn your numbers? How am I meant to make fine, upstanding adults of you if you can’t do basic mathematics? What if the Sapa Inca couldn’t do his sums, hmm? Pumi!”

Ninancoro had turned his attention to a young man with proud, glittering eyes, who sat beside the window. Pumi tore his gaze away from the cloudy blue sky, and looked up up at the Amauta, eyes wide. “Sorry, what?”

“Pumi, what if your father didn’t know how to do the quipu? We’d be in a fine mess, that’s what.”

“Well actually, he gets someone to do it for him…” he murmured, under his breath, within hearing distance of Zopahua.

“What?”

“Oh, nothing,” Pumi said, suppressing a smirk.

Zopahua shook his head, and his eyes briefly met those of his cousin. Pumi had always been his closest friend and confidant from as early as he could remember. He was the youngest son of the Emperor, and had never been slow to take advantage of the fact. Anything Pumi wanted, Pumi got, no matter who he was dealing with.

Ninancoro narrowed his eyes, and let it pass. “Well anyway, the quipu…”

Zopahua tried to listen as the words drifted pass, and tried to concentrate as Ninancoro gave demonstrations and explanations, but his mind was elsewhere. Ever since he had returned to Cuzco a month before, everything had seemed hazy and unreal, like a dream.

The lesson eventually finished, and as Zopahua wandered slowly out of the House of Knowledge, he turned and found himself staring into the toothy grin of Pumi, who slapped him hard on the back.

“Zopa! You wanna go fight?”

Zopahua frowned. “No, I don’t feel like sparring today. I’m feeling quite strange and tired.”

“You’re just afraid I’m gonna beat you!”

He sighed. “Pumi, you always beat me. Every single time. I can’t recall a single time I’ve bested you. You beat everyone. You really should find someone who can match you, and give you some kind of challenge. Someone older, maybe.”

Pumi put his arm around Zopahua’s shoulder as they walked amid Cuzco’s streets and alleys, passing through a lively market that smelt of maize and fish.

“Haha, you’re no warrior, Zopa, it‘s true. But you’re going to have to fight one day, you know. It’s your duty.”

Zopahua laughed gently. “The kingdom has been at peace for years. I don’t see why anything should change anytime soon…” In his mind he was suddenly back standing in front of the condor, and he heard the words again; evil times are coming. He shuddered.

Pumi nodded. “Maybe, but-”

“Actually, come on, let’s do it,” interrupted Zopahua. “Let’s fight, and this time, I‘ll win!”

Pumi stared at him for a moment as if he was mad, surprised at this sudden change of heart, before bursting into an uncertain laugh. “I like your confidence, cousin. Even if it will only make your inevitable defeat just that bit more disappointing!”

As they headed towards the storehouse near the edge of Cuzco where the practice weapons and armour were kept, Pumi surged ahead and Zopahua lagged behind, deep in thought as he walked. “I can win“, he said quietly to himself, “I can. I may not be a great warrior, but as long as I have the favour of the gods, I can do anything!” He looked up at the sky and then at the muscular frame of his cousin in front of him, and gulped. “Even this.”

*God-Emperor

What's funny is that I knew about the Sapa Inca before you explained it... Heh, must be my crazy mind! Great work, though, it gets more interesting as each update is made! :D

I am liking this AAR, just had to say.

Thanks, it's always nice to hear that. :)

What's funny is that I knew about the Sapa Inca before you explained it... Heh, must be my crazy mind! Great work, though, it gets more interesting as each update is made! :D

Haha, well I was assuming that most people wouldn't.

Incidentally, the more I look into Inca history, the more annoyed I am by how inaccurate EU3's representation is. They have a guy called Inca Urco as monarch in 1399, which is problematic because a) he was never Sapa Inca in his own right and b) I'm not sure he was even born in 1399! For the purposes of the AAR I'm pretending that's not the case, and that the real king of the time Yahuar Huacac is ruling. Trying to combine genuine historical fact with EU3's crazy set up is proving a challenge. :wacko:

EDIT: Apparently Inca Urco was the son of Inca Viracocha, who was the next ruler after Yahuar Huacac. The only info I can find about him is from a translated Spanish Wikipedia page, which says that he was a pervert who slept with his own mother. However, as far as I know, he didn't kill his father.

Last edited: