• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wait, Himawari has multiple ex-husbands?

It's nice that Blake still realizes that evil isn't hereditary...

It seems as if the humans are pissed about being lied about, but Akira escaped... That's bad. Let's hope that she doesn't manage to escape to Deneb. I wonder if anyone will look for vigilante justice against Akira and anyone seen as her ally... including Etienne? I wonder if he's considered that?

Both Etienne and Marcus appear to have switched to siding against Akira. Even they don't want to ally with Paradox, given her reputation. Has news of Scarlett's true identity reached Canaveral?

Nobody's died yet, but the Assault on Canaveral seems like an amazing setup for deaths...

Those guidelines appear to have failed and appear to be questionable anyway. Is there a new lingua franca? Was there any attempts to keep the population down? Are there world parks like the US's national parks? Actually, who wrote these "Georgia Guidelines"? A few of them look like they might serve Akira's plan - a break with the past serves to break with memories of her sins, and "keeping the population down" gives a justification for sending off millions of humans to a distant war against the rest of the galaxy...

• 1Like
Reactions:
The revolution arrives! And quite bloody it was, with the revenge killings of the ISO and Jericho cultists. Which is not uncommon in real life revolutions, the secret police is usually the first to suffer from the comeback effects of popular anger.

It's nice to see an almost full chapter of Blake, we get to see how he is now a more temperate person. He still has charisma, but the way in which he manifests it has changed from energetic squad leader to respectable statesman.
I think it shows in his conversation with Inez, how he treats her as an ally and granddaughter and not as Akira's daughter, and doesn't chastise her for the things she did in service of the ISO.

And lastly:
"If I see one soldier on the ground or a drone over my head, I’ll see to it that you spend the rest of your days working moisture farms on a desert planet.”

I think that's not so bad as a career prospect, you have a good chance of becoming a space wizard or an awesome fighter pilot!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wait, Himawari has multiple ex-husbands?
Yup. I created a whole storyline for Himawari and her adventurous love life back in high school, and almost none of it made it into this story.

In short: Himawari was something of a hopeless romantic in her youth.

Her marriage to George Farshtey lasted only 1 month but produced Varian. She married Randall Murphy and had Sophie with him before splitting up about five years later. Her current marriage to Amako Patariki is her longest, clocking in at 11 very happy years. :)

I wonder if anyone will look for vigilante justice against Akira and anyone seen as her ally... including Etienne?
That is almost certainly why Etienne and his camp have become so cooperative.

Has news of Scarlett's true identity reached Canaveral?
Yes, it has. You'll get to see the aftermath in next week's chapter.

Nobody's died yet, but the Assault on Canaveral seems like an amazing setup for deaths...
Oh, you have no idea.

Actually, who wrote these "Georgia Guidelines"?
The original person (or people) who commissioned the structure acted under pseudonyms and have never been identified. I had planned to include the Guidestone scene all the way back in 2021 and I was frustrated beyond all belief when they were abruptly destroyed last summer.

I had to do some headcanon logic to justify their continued existence in this story. I'll just say the person or people responsible for the destruction of the Guidestones were made short work of by ADVENT long before 2022 ever rolled around.

It's nice to see an almost full chapter of Blake, we get to see how he is now a more temperate person. He still has charisma, but the way in which he manifests it has changed from energetic squad leader to respectable statesman.
I think it shows in his conversation with Inez, how he treats her as an ally and granddaughter and not as Akira's daughter, and doesn't chastise her for the things she did in service of the ISO.
I'm quite glad Blake finally got to return to the story, after being the centermost character in two previous installments. My only regret is that Chihiro does not get as much focus time. It's her family too, after all.

Reactions:
The IRL destruction of America's Stonehenge, is something that the Jericho cultists would do: that which you do not understand, must be destroyed. With the Robinson family, you have done a better job of linking CK2 and Stellaris than Paradox. Thank you for the update and your service. Good Luck

Chapter 40: Angel of Death
Week 2 of Army Leadership school.

Uncle Sam's gotta try harder to make me stop posting chapters.:)

Buckle up folks, this is gonna be a long one.

The Emerald Institute was created by @Midnite Duke. Used with permission.

The Advisor was created by @Nikolai. Used with permission.

The Saiiban were created by @Chilango2. Used with permission.

Eerabik was created by @Arithmetician. Used with permission.

Chapter 40
Angel of Death

December 21, 2086
Ocean of Storms, Earth’s Moon

David Sepulveda had not gotten much sleep. Currently, he was still aboard the Singaporean destroyer Vengeance. The ship itself was sitting on the surface of the Moon, about three-hundred-eighty-four thousand kilometers from Earth. It was not safe to return. The Galactic Defense Force was everywhere, having seized full control of the Sol System. At any moment, the Vengeance might be found.

For weeks, he and Scarlett Freeman had gone back and forth in a series of arguments. Each encounter typically ended in a shouting match that produced no results. Every day, the topic remained the same:

Fight or flight.

Thanks to the Hyperwave Relay network, Scarlett, David, and the crew of the Vengeance all knew about the events of the recent weeks. Everyone knew that Pascal Etienne's administration had not survived the Battle of Alpha Centauri, and that Blake Robinson was taking over.

David told Scarlett plainly that the war was lost, and that she needed to consider fleeing at once.

“We need to go to the Ulysses rally point.” David had said. “We'll get to Deneb, lie low, and wait for Marshal Beauclair to catch up with us. There’s no point going to Earth. We’d be wasting our time going back. Plus, there’s nowhere to go. All of our safehouses are compromised.”
“We have to go to Canaveral.” Scarlett replied. “Beauclair is going to need all the help she can get to get all of our troops and assets away safely. Plus, Subject Three is the only catalyst on the ground, and with Inez gone, I’m the only conduit. There’s no point going to Deneb unless we can extract Subject Three.”

“No one is getting off Canaveral, no one’s getting off Earth!” David was exasperated by this point. “Did you see the Mahuika? Or the Ashoka? Or those weird robot aliens who came out of nowhere!? Those vessels are heavy-hitters. You might not get past them at all, and if you do, there’s no way you could run the blockade a second time.”

Back and forth they went for a week while Vengeance hid on the moon. The Captain and his staff occasionally jumped in as well, with a slim majority favoring an immediate escape to Deneb. But the stalemate endured.

A few days later, David was lying on his bunk on Deck Two, watching a flotilla of GDF vessels out the window. He was trying to settle in for a nap and let his voice rest when there was a frantic pounding on the door.

“Sepulveda! Are you in there?” Called a voice. “You need to see this!”

David reluctantly opened the door and found a UN Army soldier. She was an African woman with very short hair. A name tag identified her as Sergeant Rella from South Sudan. Before David could say anything, Sergeant Rella pushed a tablet computer into his face.

“Look at this!” Sergeant Rella said.

It was a live Hyperwave broadcast. David froze when he saw who was on the screen. It was Inez Espinosa! She looked even more beautiful than what he was used to, and his eyes locked onto the screen as Inez continued speaking:

“...she would have destroyed our future if left unchecked. Akira triggered the First Hyperspace War thousands of years ago; she orchestrated the Levakian Uprising, turned Kyle Bradshaw’s gun against JD Robinson and allowed monstrous tyrants like Irisha Kimoto, Emperor Riesstiu, and Makaan to rise to power all over the Galaxy.” Inez said.

“What is she talking about?” David said, talking over the broadcast.

Sergeant Rella put a finger to her lips and pointed up at the ceiling. The bridge was just one floor above them.

“Director Freeman.” Sergeant Rella whispered. “She’s the Paradox! She’s Akira Robinson!”

David felt his breath catch in his chest.

“Bullshit.” He said.

The Sergeant pointed down at the tablet.

“I am going to fight Akira Robinson, my own mother. I am ready to pay the same price as the Fifteen Stormbreakers to secure our freedom and our future against the one woman who wants those things for herself and no one else.” Inez was finishing her speech.

She did say something after this, but David never heard it. At that moment, the intercom crackled and Scarlett Freeman’s voice rang throughout the ship:

“Central Officer Sepulveda, report to the bridge.”
David had about five seconds to process this massive revelation. Had he really been taking orders from the Paradox this whole time? When did Akira supplant Director Freeman? Those questions would have to wait.

“Don’t go!” Sergeant Rella grabbed David by the shoulder. “You know what the Paradox is like. What if she brainwashes you? Telepathy, you know?”

“Can she brainwash us at all?” David wondered aloud. “I thought Jericho destroyed the Gift.”

As soon as the words were out of his mouth, David knew he was wrong. He remembered, very vividly in fact, the many long nights at Bannack Base when Scarlett would test out her personal Prometheus Device. The contraption, worn as a backpack and gauntlet pair, was able to function as a Psionic Amplifier. If even a small trace of Akira’s powers were restored, then she could use the device to return to full strength.

David rephrased his question.

“What if we’re already brainwashed? How long has Akira had us under her spell?”

The two soldiers were paralyzed in fear. David could not find the willpower to defy Akira. No matter how many reservations he had, refusing her summons seemed to be out of the question. Akira was still speaking in the voice of Scarlett Freeman, still using her name, rank, and authority... and David was beholden to those things... that was what he thought, anyway.
Sergeant Rella did not hesitate. She put both hands on David’s shoulders and started to push. Awkwardly, the pair started to make their way down the corridor.

“Wait, what are you doing!?” David said, finding his voice.

“Somebody has to save our skins.” Sergeant Rella replied. “We’ve gotta find a place to hide!”

“Hide where?” David said. “In case you haven’t noticed, we’re on the freaking Moon! It’s not like we can just joyride an escape pod to the next town over!”

Sergeant Rella looked around the corridor frantically, her eyes wide.

“I don’t care. I won’t serve the Paradox. I won’t!” She said.

Then Rella locked her eyes on a metal grate on the wall. It was covering an access hatch. Above it, a red-and-white warning sign pointed at the hatch with lettering that spelled out:

“Danger! Active waste disposal.”

Sergeant Rella pulled out her laser pistol and used it to melt the locking mechanism. Then she pulled the grate open.

“Into the garbage chute, flyboy!” Rella said.

And without waiting for an answer, Sergeant Rella pushed David into the crevice. As soon as the Central Officer was gone from view, Rella stepped inside and pulled the grate back into place over her. In seconds, the two fugitives vanished into the labyrinthine interior of the destroyer.

December 23, 2086
Hurd’s Deep, English Channel

In the dead of night, a heavily-laden cargo ship quietly sailed across the calm water. The seagoing vessel was flying the flag of Brazil and travelling west, away from Europe and into the Atlantic Ocean. Around two o’clock in the morning, dense clouds blew in from the north and blocked the moon, casting the sea into darkness.

The crew worked quickly. Two heavy-lift cranes became active, one at the bow and one near the stern, just before the conning tower. Under the watchful eyes of the ship’s captain and a UN observer, a huge metal sarcophagus was lifted off the deck. The box-shaped structure was half the length of the super-sized cargo ship and took nearly an hour to be lifted into the air by the twin cranes. While the sarcophagus hung suspended, the crew worked frantically, moving a series of ramps into position and welding them down.

After about two and a half hours of intense work, a large ramp now existed on the starboard side of the vessel.

On the bridge, Sophie Murphy, the youngest granddaughter of Blake Robinson, watched in awe as the sarcophagus was lowered onto the ramp and released. With a terrible scraping noise, a shower of brilliant sparks, and a cascade of saltwater, the metal tomb slid off the ship and into the sea. In moments, the Third Hyperspace Core sank below the surface and vanished from view, descending to its watery grave six hundred feet below. Sophie followed the instructions she was given by the ISO. She looked over the shoulder of the ship’s navigator and wrote down the exact location coordinates.
Once the Hyperspace Core was sunk, the cargo ship sailed out into the Atlantic Ocean before turning south, en route to Africa.

Sophie spent the next three days in her cabin. She was carrying out the next part of her instructions. Sophie began committing the location coordinates to memory. She made up a quiz, tested herself, and recited the numbers forwards and backwards. On the third day, Sophie woke up and brushed her teeth:

“Forty-nine degrees, thirty-six minutes, fifteen-point-eighty-three seconds North.” Sophie recited before spitting out her toothpaste.
“Three degrees, twelve minutes, one-point-thirty-nine seconds West.”

Over lunch, she recited the Core’s location quietly to herself.

“Forty-nine degrees, thirty-six minutes, fifteen-point-eighty-three seconds North. Three degrees, twelve minutes, one-point-thirty-nine seconds West.”

Finally, as the sun went down, Sophie watched as a submarine emerged from the waves and approached the cargo vessel. This military sub would take her off the ship and all the way to Cape Canaveral.

Returning to her cabin, Sophie packed her gear and recited the location one last time:

“Forty-nine degrees, thirty-six minutes, fifteen-point-eighty-three seconds North. Three degrees, twelve minutes, one-point-thirty-nine seconds West.”

Taking a deep breath and feeling confident in her memory, Sophie picked up the piece of paper on which the coordinates were written. Then, she shredded the paper into little strips, set the strips on fire, and threw the ashes into the sea.

From now until the moment she returned to Cape Canaveral, Sophie Murphy would be the only person in the Galaxy to know the exact location of the Third Hyperspace Core. The seventeen-year-old activist spent the whole journey riddled with nervous anxiety, twisting her hair in her hands until she saw dry land once more.

She was anxious about keeping such a massive secret, of course. But there was another thing. By doing this, Sophie was permanently aligning herself with Scarlett Freeman… or rather, as Inez Espinosa had so dramatically revealed… The Paradox.

“It’s okay.” Sophie told herself. “I’m doing the right thing. Akira wants the same thing we do. She’s on our side.”

December 24, 2086
Bay Lake, Florida

The city of Orlando was abuzz with activity. Starships from the Galactic Defense Force were landing by the dozen, dropping off soldiers, and taking off again. Most of the local population shut themselves away in their homes, but a few came out to greet the GDF. Small children waved colorful flags and stared at the many different species of alien who marched into their city. Earthborn aliens, leftover from the ADVENT occupation of Earth, gave the GDF a warm reception. Vipers, Mutons, and Sectoids came out to meet the GDF and greeted them as liberators. A few troopers stopped to offer candy to youngsters.

The busy nature of events in Orlando distracted from events taking place only a short distance away...

About twenty miles to the west of Orlando, there was a series of ruined buildings, left untouched since the beginning of the Second Hyperspace War. The forces of nature had done their utmost to reclaim the land, breaking up concrete and crumbling walls. However tonight was different. For the first time in over seventy years, the educational facility once known as Disney University was being used. A mixed force of American and GDF workers used advanced fabrication technology from the Taiidan Republic to quickly restore the ruined complex to working order.

Phased Disassembler Arrays broke down solid matter, trees and rubble alike, and then reconstituted it into construction materials. Micore droids did most of the heavy lifting while organic workers assembled the individual parts. Within two days, the former site of Disney University was partially restored. A grand building was erected, ready to serve as a venue for the most consequential of meetings. While the building and its interior were restored, all of the symbols of its former owner were painted over. The logo of a now-defunct megacorporation was covered up and replaced by the insignia of three organizations, the United Nations, the Galactic Council, and the United States of America.

Inside, a grand assembly was taking place. Dozens of meetings and conferences were taking place simultaneously, each room filled with sentient beings who argued and debated one of two topics: The end of the war and what happened afterward.

In one room, representatives of the United Nations were attempting to formalize the end of hostilities with the Galactic Community, as they were ordered to do by their new leader, Blake Robinson. Meanwhile, just down the hall, another group of UN dignitaries were following another of Blake’s orders. This group of negotiators were hammering out a deal that would allow the United States of America to rejoin the UN, while simultaneously respecting Hawaii’s newfound status as an independent state.

And on the second floor, Inez Espinosa found herself in a large, grand room. Long tables and fancy chairs facilitated the high-level discussions between Secretary-General Robinson and Galactic Custodian Marka. Both leaders were leaving the peace talks to their underlings. Today, Blake and Marka were focused on the planning of their final battle.

They were not alone.

The Stormbreakers, Wolverines, Shipbreaker Karfu, Crew Chief Magra, Eerabik, General Macavity, the Dragonlike Advisor, Emanuel Espinosa, General Osmer, Colonel Sharp, Marcus Robinson, Ruslan Shmyhal, Varuna Das, former Secretary-General Pascal Etienne, and the Director of the Emerald Institute were all attending this planning session. Jericho was also present, but she stayed near Blake Robinson, almost as though she was hiding behind him.

“What happened to Marshal Beauclair?” Custodian Marka asked.

“She eluded the Polizei and we’ve lost track of her.” Secretary-General Robinson replied. “Wherever she is, Commander Eberhardt from XCOM is with her, same for Yassen Ackermann and Rafi Bakir. I’m working to have her apprehended now.”

“What do you mean by that?” Shipbreaker Karfu asked.

“I’ve appointed an interim director of the Internal Security Office.” Blake explained. “Alex Edinger used to be Secretary-General a few decades back. He's a good decade younger than me, and he knows UN institutions inside and out. With him in charge of the ISO, we can disentangle the government from Akira’s influence and shut out her allies.”

“Getting control of the ISO will not be instantaneous.” General Osmer said. “Akira was its director for almost eight years. It will take time for Mister Edinger to undo his predecessor’s machinations and remove her lackeys from the equation. We must proceed as though the ISO is still a threat.”

Queen Marka nodded.

“I realize that hostilities between our peoples are over, but I have to confess... I see an armed assault against Cape Canaveral as our only recourse. Those children have families who are waiting for them back home, and we cannot wait for much longer.”

“Agreed.” Secretary-General Robinson replied. “We’ve already waited too long, as far as I am concerned.”

Inez waved her hand to get everyone’s attention.

“Cassandra told me that Polly Spark and her team stopped executing kids after the Battle of Amadiio.” Inez explained. “So the number I gave Lawrence and his crew back in October is probably still good.” She said.

Piggybacking off her words, Lawrence spoke up.

“On the high end, We think there are two-hundred fifteen children inside the Canaveral base. The low estimate is one-hundred eighty.”

“My intelligence officer says there are two-hundred-two children.” Queen Marka corrected him. “At least forty Partogans, twenty-five Hiigarans, thirty Scyldari, a dozen Saiiban, seven Ozkox and a collection of Kelt, Assurians, Voor, Blorg, Taiidani, Vanians, Vaygr, Tobari, Amadii, Levakians, and at least one Micore.”

Eerabik ruffled her feathers in disgust.

“About a year ago, the Progeny raided an Ozkox hatchery and made off with dozens of eggs. Enough time has passed for the viable ones to hatch. I urge caution. There could be Ozkox, Vanians, and Amadii who have spent their entire lives in captivity and will know nothing of the outside world. We must have specialized personnel ready to receive them.”

The Dragonlike Advisor answered her.

“A friend of ours has volunteered to solve that problem.” The Advisor said. “Our comrade from the Emerald Institute is willing to help.”

The Director of the Emerald Institute straightened his necktie and gave the assembled group a grin.

“For sensitive crises such as this, the Institute maintains a highly-trained ‘go team.’ This squad of specialists would have been right at home in your old XCOM project had they lived seven decades ago.” The Institute Director said. “The team only has four members, but one of them is a Human and another is Saiiban. They go by the names Emma von Richtofen and Claws of Honeydew respectively. I have full confidence in their training. The Institute and all of its members are prepared for any eventuality involving the Paradox.”

“That’s all well and good.” General Macavity cut in. “But first, we must carry out an actual rescue. Espinosa and Robinson are right. The longer we delay, the greater the risk of these children being either murdered or spirited away to planets unknown. We must act.”

“I agree with Macavity.”

Jericho spoke in a voice that was so soft nobody should have heard it. Somehow, everyone in the hall immediately took note of her and fell silent, giving Jericho their full attention.

“I know my friend Blake hates jumping into things without a plan.” Jericho said. “But we have to remember that our enemies will not be idle this whole time. The ISO forces inside Cape Canaveral are plotting their own escape right now. They will try to slip past us, and the longer we wait, the more opportunities we present for them to do just so. We’ve already waited too long, and any longer will spell disaster for us.”

Blake put a hand on Jericho’s shoulder and nodded.

“She’s right.” Blake said. “My friends, the formalities cannot wait, but we must be swift with them. What is the earliest we could mount an assault on Cape Canaveral?”

“All of the American forces will be in place by December 27th.” Colonel Sharp replied. “We’re just waiting on the last contingent of fighters to arrive. A large unit from Northern Michigan is on the way.”

“The Chippewas!” Jay chimed in. “Those are the guys who helped us take Alpena. We can’t go without them, they’re great at taking facilities like this.”

“I will send a starship to pick them up and bring them the rest of the way.” Blake said. “Madam Custodian? What about your forces?”

“The GDF will be ready for combat on December 28th.” Marka said. “This is something you cannot rush. There are tens of thousands of soldiers who must acclimate to the climate and gravity before being asked to fight.”

“Kelta is a high-gravity world!” Ninu said. “My people will need time to adjust to the spring in our step here.”

“Assuria’s atmosphere contains a high amount of sulfur.” Kingi added. “This world does not. My people will need to be issued respirators.”

“Same for my people.” Cetla said. “Micanawn’s atmosphere has a great deal more Carbon Dioxide and Methane than Earth. We will have to stay on our ships and deploy the droid army.”

The verdict was clear. With nearly two dozen alien species counted among its ranks, the GDF would be useless for at least an additional week while its troops acclimated to Earth. This was the one true disadvantage of a multispecies military. The only members of the GDF who were ready to fight at this very moment were Partogans, Hiigarans, Taiidani, Voor, and Micore Battle Droids. All others were written off... At least for now.

Somehow, the plan to assault Cape Canaveral would proceed.

The next day, Inez was woken up in the early morning by her father. She and Cassandra were dressed in semi-formal outfits and spent the next six hours participating in some formal ceremonies.

First and foremost, there was a signing ceremony in the former lecture hall of Disney University. Secretary-General Blake Robinson and Galactic Custodian Marka signed a legal document that formally ended the war between Earth and the Galactic Council. The ceremony was attended by hundreds of dignitaries from the UN General Assembly and the Galactic Council, while soldiers from both sides stood guard around the hall, dressed in ceremonial uniforms.

As soon as the signing ceremony ended, Cassandra looked around for familiar faces and spotted the Stormbreakers. She pointed and laughed.

“Corder looks so silly!”

Inez looked around and followed Cassandra’s finger. The Stormbreakers looked very out-of-place, standing among the GDF soldiers, each member of the team was dressed in a formal outfit. Ninu and Maui looked immaculate in long-sleeved suits, while Cetla’s scales could be seen pressing against the fabric of his clothes. Kingi scowled at everyone like always, seeming not to care about what people thought of his formal clothes.

Then Inez saw Corder. Not only was she stuffed uncomfortably into a woman’s business suit, someone attempted to brush her fur, only to make her look even more like a wildcat. Thoroughly disgruntled, Corder’s ears were flattened against her head and her tail flicked back and forth in a dangerous way. Corder snarled and bared her teeth at anyone who looked at her.

If Corder looked uncomfortable, then right next to her was somebody who looked perfectly at ease.

Varian Robinson had taken the opportunity to dress to the nines, and was wearing a dark blouse underneath a blazer, paired with a matching pencil skirt. Inez had never known Varian to dress so outwardly feminine... or in any way that could be described by a gender, for that matter. Varian looked comfortable and seemed to be enjoying themself. Just before Inez reached the Stormbreakers, Marcus Robinson walked by, leading Pascal Etienne by the hand. Marcus paused and looked at Varian for a moment, then paid his family member a small compliment before moving on with the former UN leader.

“So this is what it takes to make you dress up, huh?” Inez commented, giving them a friendly nudge. “Lookin’ good Varian!”

“Thanks.” Varian replied, speaking in a voice that was far more effeminate than their normally neutral tone. “My parents and grandparents told me that this is going to be a really historic week, and I needed to think hard about how I want the history books to remember me. So... uh...”

Varian trailed off.

“I’m kinda glad Cassandra’s not here.” Varian finished.

Inez, sensing she was close to a sensitive topic, looked around. Cassandra had wandered away, and was introducing herself to a group of Levakians. The lion-like aliens smiled at one another when Cassandra asked if she could scratch their ears.

“Why are you glad she’s not here?” Inez asked,

“Because she would be able to see through my disguise.” Varian replied. “I asked Jericho for help, and she put a Psionic illusion around me. Everyone sees me the way I want to be seen... the way I want to see myself.”

Inez mentally put two and two together in her head. Then she stepped back and took another look at Varian. For the first time, the full effect of the Psionic Illusion hit her. She could just barely see the androgynous form of Varian she had come to know, but overlayed on top of that was the image of a woman. If Inez allowed her mind to wander for even a moment, the illusion was restored to full effect, and Inez was immediately convinced that she was not looking at a genderless person named Varian, but rather a mousy-looking woman called Victoria.

“I never imagined Jericho could do something like this.” Inez gasped. “It’s incredible.”

“I’ve seen what she can do firsthand.” Victoria replied. “I totally understand why people think she’s a god, and why she’s afraid of her worshippers.”

Inez and Victoria turned around to look at Jericho, who was shaking hands with the Galactic Custodian.

“Just think, here in a few days, all this will be over.” Inez said. “What is Jericho going to do after the war? Heck, what are you and I going to do?”

Corder snorted.

“Victoria’s grandfather paid the six of us a pretty massive fee for our work.” She said. “As soon as we deal with the Paradox, I’m gonna buy a small planet in the Somtaaw Highlands and retire. I’m thinking an Arid World with lots of grazing animals.”

“Speak for yourself.” Ninu said. “Many of my siblings will be laying eggs in a few months. I am going to buy them premium spots at the best incubator facility on Kelta!”

“I don’t know what I’m going to do.” Inez confessed. “Aside from the fact that I’ll be living with Cassandra, wherever we end up.”

Victoria grabbed Inez by the shoulder and gave her a little shake.

“Tell ya what, Nezzie. Ask your dad and sister if they wanna move to Honolulu. We’d love to have you as neighbors!” Victoria said.

“Don’t call me Nezzie.” Inez replied. “And… yeah. I’d like that.”

A few hours later…
Cape Canaveral, Florida

The Partogan Mothership Mahuika was so massive that her presence above Cape Canaveral could not be ignored. Her fifteen-kilometer wingspan obscured the UN base from view, hiding it from anyone in orbit. But as the sun started to set on yet another day of the tense military standoff, a shimmering point of light could be seen approaching from the west.

Up above, the Mahuika suddenly began to move, burning her engines hard while launching strike craft from her hangars. Down on the ground, Sophie Murphy, Klaus Eberhardt, Inez Vasquez, Rafi Bakir, Polly Spark, Yassen Ackerman, and Sidney Beauclair could hardly believe their eyes.

Yassen Ackermann looked very different from this time last year, when Sophie had last seen him. Yassen had gotten into a fight recently that left his right hand scarred and bandaged. He also seemed to be walking with a limp.

“I don’t believe it.” Commander Eberhardt said. “She actually got through.”

“Did she use the holograms or cloaking device? Yassen wondered aloud.

“From here, it looks like she used both.” Sidney Beauclair said. “Impressive. Doubly so since we know the truth now.”

While the Mahuika and her escorts burned towards Orlando, a single Partogan frigate flew in the opposite direction. The Partogan warship circled the base for a minute before coming down to land in a wide patch of grass, the former site of Launch Complex 39b. Only a short distance away, the historic launch tower of Complex 39a cast a long shadow into the Atlantic.

Even though powerful and high-ranking people surrounded her, Sophie Murphy avoided talking as the group made its way over to the landing site. She had managed to stay true to her word, and divulged the location of the Third Hyperspace Core to no one. The only person she spoke with was the only other individual who was close to her age. Inez Vasquez, the ISO armorer, pushed a cart containing a sealed box as she made her way to Pad 39b.

“Inez, you need help with that?” Sophie asked.

“No, no, I’m good.” Vasquez panted. “Besides, highly classified stuff in here you’re not supposed to know about. You know how it goes in the ISO: ‘knowledge is the most powerful thing in the Universe, get you killed or save your life’… or whatever the Director’s old saying is supposed to be. Did uh, did you come over with Beauclair?”

“No, I came alone.” Sophie said. “I’ve only met the whole team a couple of times.”

“You’re in good company.” Vasquez said. “I don’t get a lot of face-time with the group either. Just follow whatever plan the Director comes up with and you’ll be fine.”

The Vengeance had dropped her holographic disguise as soon as she landed. While she descended the boarding ramp, Director Scarlett Freeman was talking to a Navy officer.

“They’ve probably figured out the rouse by now, but they won’t dare open fire on us. Not now that they know we’ve got hostages. Go get a search team and scan every inch of this vessel. Don’t come back until you find that coward Sepulveda.”

The officer saluted and then turned around to carry out Scarlett’s orders. Then Scarlett arrived in the group of her allies. But things were different now. The truth was out.

“Director Freeman!” Commander Eberhardt said. “Or should we call you something different?”

“That depends.” Replied the woman who called herself Scarlett Freeman. “Are we all on the same side? Human supremacy at all costs? The restoration of the Gift? Liberation of Earth from alien influence?”

Sophie, Klaus, Yassen, Vasquez, Sidney, Rafi, and Polly all nodded.

“You’re in good company, Akira.” Said Rafi. “You don’t need to hide from us.”

And in that moment, the Psionic illusion broke. Akira’s allies could see her for who she truly was. The Paradox looked each of her allies in the face, as though reading their minds… which she was almost certainly doing.

“I know the situation. It’s grim.” Akira said. “Robinson and Ranginui outmaneuvered us. I think Robinson had this one in the works for a couple of years. Earth is lost and there’s nothing we can do for now. Beauclair, are we ready for the trip to Deneb?”

“Almost.” Sidney Beauclair replied. “We are fueling the Solaris, Confucius, and Zoroaster right now. Cargo is being loaded, and the live subjects have been moved to the Apollo Center.”

“How many live subjects?” Akira asked. “Two-hundred-forty-seven.” Polly Spark replied.

“And about thirty are combat-ready. They can plug the holes in the line while we escape.”

“Holes in the line?” Akira repeated. “What holes?”

“Our security contractors!” Yassen cut in. “All of the men from Shrike have deserted their posts.”

“The Mercenaries abandoned us when news of Alpha Centauri reached Earth.” Sidney explained. “They pointed at the images of those robotic starships and said something about ‘what we’ve been preparing for’ and ‘the time has come.’”

“Shrike has gone dark all over the Galaxy.” Yassen finished. “Their mercenaries have all broken contracts and are fleeting… somewhere. We don’t know much, but I do have intel that says their commanders and leaders have hunkered down inside of an underground base near Las Vegas.”

“How much of our base security team was made up of Shrike?” Akira asked, scratching her chin in thought.

“About ninety percent.” Rafi Bakir said. “That leaves just two hundred Space Rangers from my unit to guard the base. Ma’am, Cape Canaveral is almost five square kilometers, not to mention the vast area around the old Kennedy Space Center. Right now, as a Space Ranger, I promise you that we cannot secure this area with just two hundred men. It’s just too big. The enemy can simply go around my men and overrun the base.”

Akira looked concerned.

“The GDF could kill us all while we’re trying to take off.”

Akira folded her arms in thought. Throughout this whole conversation, Sophie had been slowly making her way toward Scarlett. She had her own mission that she needed to complete.

“Excuse me.” Sophie said in a meek voice. “There’s something I need to tell you.”

Akira looked over at her. Now that Sophie could see Akira’s true face, she could see that, alternate timelines aside, Sophie and Akira really were blood relatives. There was a little bit of Chihiro Tachibana in Sophie and… well… her aunt.

“Did you do it?” Akira asked. “Is the Hyperspace Core safe?”

Sophie nodded, and then she started to say the coordinates out loud, but Akira stopped her.

“I can read minds, Sophie. I plucked the numbers out of your head a minute ago. You’ve done very well, and I’m proud of you.”

Blushing and smiling, Sophie stepped backwards into the group, where Akira’s allies welcomed her with warm words and high fives.

Akira looked like she had made up her mind.

“Alright. It’s time to be adaptable.” Akira said.
“Spark, I’m just going to assume Nezzie blasted my identity to the whole damn Galaxy. Liquidate everyone in the base who had a change of heart because of me.”

“Oh, is that what you were doing on the Vengeance?” Polly said. “We were wondering why it took you so long to get back here.”

“Beauclair, Eberhardt: you two coordinate the evacuations. I want the cruisers ready to fly as soon as possible. When can we take off and head for Deneb?” Akira said.

“Give us thirty-six hours.” Commander Eberhardt answered. “We’ll be ready.”

“Bakir, Ackermann: We need to hold off the GDF for thirty-six hours.” Akira said. “I have a surprise of our own we can deploy, but I want you to put five hundred troops on the defensive perimeter. Conscript any starship crews or base personnel you want, just so long as all of the holes are plugged. Do not use any of the test subjects. We need them for when we come back to Earth.”

Then Akira addressed the whole group.

“Thirty-six hours, people! I want this base empty by the day after tomorrow!”

Sophie was assigned to conscription duty. She ran from one building to the next, pointing at any man who looked like he was strong enough to hold a rifle and saying:

“Rafi Bakir wants to see you at the armory!”

The whole base was active as she did this. The evacuation was now in full swing as base staff worked to dismantle the Prometheus Engine and relocate it to the nearby cruisers. Vans and busses, each one loaded with alien children, moved between the Pediatric center and the Apollo building, where the abductees would be temporarily housed until the time came for the final escape. Sophie ran into the Vehicle Assembly Building, grabbing men and pulling them away from their work with orders to report to the armory.

Then, just before midnight, Sophie and the others were summoned to meet with Akira one last time.

Five-hundred and twenty-six feet above the ground, Akira and her allies opened the access door and stepped onto the roof of the old Vehicle Assembly Building. From here, they had a commanding view of the surrounding base and ocean.

Working together, Vasquez, Rafi, Yassen, and Eberhardt all managed to get Vasquez’ heavy case out of the stairwell and onto the roof. Akira looked up at the Mahuika, disgusted.

“By the time the GDF recovers from this, we’ll be long gone.” Sidney commented.

“They won’t recover at all.” Akira said. “Haven’t you been watching the news? The new Secretary-General is here. He’s in Orlando, making peace with the Galactic Custodian… and she’s there too.”

Akira smiled at the western horizon. There was a magnificent orange glow marking the location of Orlando. Behind her, Vasquez opened the case to reveal its contents. It was a newer version of the Prometheus Device stolen from the Apollo Center by Piper Russell a few months ago.

With help from Vasquez, Akira donned the metal backpack and activated the miniature Elerium reactor contained inside of it. Then she ran a series of cables from the generator to a pair of metal cuffs, one on each of Akira’s wrists.

“Robinson, Ranginui, the Stormbreakers…” Akira said. “Everyone is in Orlando tonight. The American leaders, begging for a seat at the table. Every UN commander who was too weak to join us. General Macavity and his staff, Eerabik and her new robot friends. Every conceivable threat to our species… everyone who could ever hold Humanity back… is right there in Orlando.”

Polly spat over the side of the building, showing her distain.

Akira activated her Prometheus Device. Holographic emitters flickered to life and turned themselves onto Akira. Her skin, hair, and outfit all began to change as the illusion came together.

“They think they’ve won!” Akira jeered. “They think they got the best of us, that Humankind will go back to the days of exploitation and subservience, back to their so-called ‘Galactic Community!’ And once they don’t have a common enemy anymore, they’ll just go right back to their petty squabbles and fight each other all over again! Their peace will be temporary and forgotten just as quickly.”

The holographic illusion was coming together. Akira was transforming into a beautiful woman with white hair and blue eyes, dressed in pearly white robes underneath a shining golden corset, while a cape billowed out behind her.

“And Jericho is there too.” Akira said. “I remember when she went to the Galactic Council during the war. She was asked if she would ever become a Psionic God-Emperor… and she refused! Jericho had the power to bring peace, true lasting peace! All she had to do was enforce order, and she could not do it! Now, we are going to rectify that.”

Akira raised one arm to the sky, pointing at the Mahuika above her.

“With this Gift of Psionics, Jericho could have forced an end to all conflict and strife. Jericho could have forced peace on those who refused it! All of the Galaxy was already united behind her, she could have done it! But since she won’t… I will become the Jericho that can! Jericho will rise from the flames of Hell and look down on a tortured Galaxy, calling out for someone to save it from itself!”

Sophie cheered.

“You are the true Jericho!” Sophie yelled. “You are real and that bitch who betrayed her people is the fake!”

“Yes!” Rafi chimed in. “We have the true Jericho on our side! That’s all we need!”

Psionic energy began to swirl around the rooftop. Arcs of green light snapped and popped through the air like lightning bolts. Sophie’s hair was caught up as though in a wind.

“When we return,” Akira declared her voice booming out across the cape, “And we will return, we will expel Robinson and his ilk from our planet. We will fight like the Reapers and Templars of the last war, with a fury none will be able to resist. We will retake what is ours! And if the alien menace tries to subjugate us again, we shall fight! Like William Carter fought in 1962, like Duane Gardner in 2036! We’ll defend our world from the xeno menace! We will fight on our soil, fight in the heavens, we will fight in the asteroid belts and the hyperlanes and in the nebulas! We will fight with growing confidence and strength among the stars!”

A point of green light appeared in thin air just above Akira’s hand. She pointed her palm upward towards the Mahuika.

“We are Humans! We will be superior, and we will never surrender again!” Akira cried out, and then pulled her arm back.

A tiny sphere of darkness appeared in the air above Akira. Despite its small size, it pulled everything in the area inexorably towards itself, like a miniscule black hole. With a great push, Akira sent the singularity flying into the heavens above, where it collided with the Mahuika!

The effect was instantaneous.

The Partogan warship was pulverized as the microscopic singularity tore through its hull and embedded itself somewhere deep within the starship. Mahuika’s armor buckled as the singularity began to implode the vessel from the inside. The sound it made was horrifying, like a freight train barreling headlong into a tornado.

With great noise, explosions started to erupt along the Mahuika’s hull. The warship was coming apart at the seams, looking less and less like herself with each passing moment. Crumpling up, the dorsal and ventral sides of the starship collapsed into themselves while the wingtips detached and fell several miles to the ground below.

“And now,” Akira cried out. “A parting gift to the traitors!”

Akira brought her arm down and pointed her palm towards Orlando.

With a nightmare-inducing sound, the Mahuika began to move. The wrecked mothership was being pulled along by the singularity tearing apart her insides. In seconds, the miniscule point of oblivion was moving too fast, and it tore out of the mothership to fly along its deadly path. At once, Mahukia exploded! Rent apart into a cloud of fire and debris, the shattered remains of the mothership flew across the sky in pursuit of Akira’s dark power. The fireball of Mahuika’s demise was nothing compared to what happened next.

Akira’s singularity, surrounded by the swirling wreckage of the Partogan warship, pulled other GDF starships into its wake. Frigates, Destroyers, and Carriers were all pulled to pieces. Armored vehicles on the ground were thrown into the skies, while the immense forces shredded soldiers limb from limb.

A trail of destruction followed the singularity across the Floridian Peninsula, but soon it passed out of Akira’s range. Her power could no longer sustain it. As the now-shattered city of Titusville was left behind, the singularity, enveloped in a cloud of debris, began to shrink and lose power.

Standing on the roof of the VAB, Akira fell to her knees, utterly exhausted. Panting, she sat up with the help of her allies. Akira, Sophie, Eberhardt, Yassen, Vasquez, Sidney, Rafi, and Polly all watched as the horrific constellation of metal and wreckage vanished over the horizon.

And then, they saw it. The distant orange glow on the horizon began to flicker. Akira stood up, bracing herself against Rafi’s shoulder. The distant glow seemed to become brighter, turning almost yellow. And then, white points of light were suddenly visible in the distance.

It was the city.

Torn up by their foundations, hundreds of thousands of buildings were flying up into the sky, drawn towards the flickering singularity. As they tumbled through the air, high-rises collapsed into glittering clouds of debris. Cars and trucks sailed into the sky, their lights flashing madly in the chaotic scene. Torn off the ground by the sheer force of Akira’s power, the City of Orlando and its fifteen million inhabitants rose high above the surface of the Earth, so far that it could be seen eighty kilometers away! Polly and Sophie screamed out loud and clapped their hands to their mouths!

Finally, the last of Akira’s power was drained. She slumped backwards, falling to the floor.

And as Akira fell…

So did Orlando.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The stage is set for the rescue at Canaveral. It seems Sepulveda had a change of heart, a rather forced one but a change of heart nonetheless. I only hope that
“Into the garbage chute, flyboy!” Rella said.
There are no one eyed tentacled monsters down there. ;)

And the revelation! It's surprising how many people are all well and cozy working with a mass murderer. Even Sophia, at 17, is able to justify the killing of millions of human innocents in Orlando as "serving the cause"? Frightening...

And Akira has her powers restored... As fake Jericho! I bet it was a bitter pill to swallow, admitting to herself that she had to become something else to best Jericho, that her own powers were inadequate!

Orlando... Orlando will long be remembered as the kind of crime against humanity that comes with human supremacism. I only hope that Inez and Jericho saw that one coming and were able to save the crucial leadership of the GDF/UN alliance and associated forces from annihilation!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Why do so many people want human supremacy? Does it have anything to do with Akira possibly brainwashing people?

I wonder who died at Orlando?
Will anyone kill Akira? Maybe those AI?

I wonder if we’ll have a Jericho-Akira confrontation again?

• 1Like
Reactions:
The stage is set for the rescue at Canaveral.
There is only one piece left to place on the board: the actual rescue team. You will get to see it being assembled over the course of the next two chapters.

It's surprising how many people are all well and cozy working with a mass murderer. Even Sophia, at 17, is able to justify the killing of millions of human innocents in Orlando as "serving the cause"? Frightening...
It's a disturbing truth-in-television kind of moment. Akira genuinely attracted people with similar goals and ideals to herself, just like other infamous dictators and criminals.

And Akira has her powers restored... As fake Jericho! I bet it was a bitter pill to swallow, admitting to herself that she had to become something else to best Jericho, that her own powers were inadequate!
Even though disguising herself has almost always been her modus operandi, Akira has re-worked her plan for the Perfect Future. We've seen in the last few chapters that she is ready to abandon subtlety and subterfuge in favor of a more... blunt approach.

Orlando will long be remembered as the kind of crime against humanity that comes with human supremacism. I only hope that Inez and Jericho saw that one coming and were able to save the crucial leadership of the GDF/UN alliance and associated forces from annihilation!
The true death toll of this night won't be fully known for years, but it is definitely in the millions. Most of the GDF was caught "on the ground" so to speak. We'll see about their ability to respond in this weekend's chapter.

Why do so many people want human supremacy? Does it have anything to do with Akira possibly brainwashing people?
Akira exploited and exacerbated an existing sense of Xenophobia in the Human race that existed ever since the first Alien Invasion in 1962. She supported and aided anyone who pushed the "Dominate them before they dominate us" line.

I wonder who died at Orlando?
Tragically, several named protagonists will not be participating in the Rescue at Cape Canaveral. Nor will they reach the end of this story.

Will anyone kill Akira?
The answer lies in Chapter 46: Journey's End.

I wonder if we’ll have a Jericho-Akira confrontation again?
If Jerichi manages to put in an appearance at the Rescue, the chances will be quite high. But she needs to get there first... the next chapter will explain why this is an issue...

Reactions:
Chapter 41: Hell is For Heroes
Well, this month has been one helluva ride. Next Tuesday I will graduate from Basic Leader Course and start heading home. By the time Chapter 42 is posted next Saturday, The Last Heroes will return to regular operations. New chapters will go live on Saturdays at 12noon and I'll be much faster responding to comments. I'll also have the time to check out what else is happening on the forum.

Speaking of next week...

The post below will be the last chapter before the final battle of the Stormbreaker Universe gets started. This story has come a long way since Mira Mihaka set out to find Earth back in March 2018, and I cannot thank you enough for reading it, in whole or in part. You, dear readers, are the reason this series enjoyed such a long lifespan. Thank you so much for reading. :)

Now then, here is the plan for the Rescue at Cape Canaveral, the grand finale of both The Last Heroes and The Stormbreaker Universe:

• Chapter 42: The Rescue at Cape Canaveral
    • Saturday, November 26
  • Chapter 43: After Everything
    • Saturday, December 3
  • Chapter 44: Faith in Chaos
    • Saturday, December 10
  • Chapter 45: The Stormbreakers
    • Saturday, December 17
  • Chapter 46: Journey's End
    • Sunday, December 25

Chapter 41
Hell is for Heroes

December 24, 2086
Orlando, Florida

Noises and color swirled above Inez. She tried to reach them, but something was pinning her arms. As she strained and struggled against whatever was holding her down, Inez felt cold water running across her forehead.

“She’s alive!” A voice called out. “Hold on Nezzie! We’re gonna dig you out.”

Slowly, things started to come back into focus. Only a few minutes ago, Inez had been standing in the meeting hall of Disney University, showing off her new Shadowkeeper pistol to Chris Wright. Then, there was a chaotic crash, and now Inez was buried underneath concrete and drywall. The building had fallen to pieces around her. Flashlights and voices filled the space as survivors worked to rescue those trapped below.

“Don’t call me Nezzie.” Inez mumbled. “Who’s there?”

The face of a Levakian came into her view. The lion-like alien smiled at her, showing his fangs.

“My name is Munkustrap, I’m with the Emerald Institute.” He said. “Hold on, my team is digging you out now. Honeydew, von Richtofen! Over here!”

A Human woman and a Saiiban male, both dressed in power armor, ran to Munkustrap and started lifting slabs of concrete off Inez.

The Saiiban known as Honeydew said:

“As soon as we clear this debris, you will be free!”

Inez could see her rescuers now. Honeydew was a great blue avian with iridescent purple plumage. Von Richtofen was a large woman with very short brown hair and a severe expression on her face.

“Where’s Cassandra?” Inez pleaded. “Where’s my sister?”

“I’m here!” Cassandra’s voice called out.

Inez was not sure if Cassandra answered via the Psionic link or if she had simply shouted. Either way, the young girl was scrambling over wreckage to reach the spot where Inez was being extracted. Like everyone else, Cassandra was covered from head to foot in dust. She looked like a ghost.

“What happened?” Cassandra cried. “What’s going on!?”

Mahuika crashed into the city.” Von Richtofen said. “Slammed right into us at speed.”

“This time of night, I think about two million people may have just died.” Munkustrap confessed. “Perhaps more.”

Finally, Inez got free and was able to stand up again. She grabbed the Shadowkeeper off the ground and tucked it unto her blouse. While Cassandra wrapped her arms around her sister, Inez took a look around.

It was devastation as far as the eye could see. There was no way to recognize any nearby landmarks; they were all gone. Rubble from buildings and wreckage from vehicles was everywhere. Random starship parts were scattered about, still on fire. The flames provided most of the illumination since a dense layer of smoke blotted out moon above. Disney University itself was so effectively shattered that it was impossible to tell where the structure had once stood, or even what it looked like. Inez could see several hundred people milling about. Many were in shock and just wandered aimlessly. Others were calling out for survivors and digging into the rubble with their hands.

About fifty yards away, there was a large group of people gathered around… something. Each moment, more and more people joined the assembly. Some of them carrying bundles.

“Let’s go over there.” Inez said. “Find out what’s going on.”

Inez, Cassandra, and the three Institute members stumbled across the sea of wreckage and quickly reached the point of intrest. Before they drew level with the group, however, Inez reached up to cover her nose and gasped in revulsion. She could smell the death long before she saw it.

Hundreds of dead bodies, just dug out of the wreckage, were laid out in neat rows. People moved among them, trying to identify the dead. Mournful cries filled the air as some people found their friends and loved ones.

“No! Why, Sajuuk!? Why would you do this!?”

Ruunhan Somtaaw wailed at one corner of the field of death, refusing to let go of the lifeless body of Hahli Mihaka. Like everyone else, Ruunhan was covered in dust, but the tears running down her face cut shiny streaks below her eyes that shone disturbingly in the night. A group of Ancient Americans deposited the body of General Osmer on the ground, taking it in turns to clear the dust away from his face and uniform. Colonel Mason Sharp looked around for more of his people; he seemed to be frightened. Finally, a group of Mutons all sat in a circle, facing outward. It looked as though they were guarding the body of Crew Chief Magra.

“Oh, holy Jericho.” Inez breathed. “It’s a disaster.”

Inez had not seen the worst yet. Several soldiers, some of them GDF and others UN, called out:

“Make way! Make way!”

The group parted as a squad of troops arrived, carrying more bodies. Ruslan Shmyhal, the President of the UN Security Council, was laid to rest alongside the Director of the Emerald Institute, the unnamed dragon-like Advisor, and finally… the Galactic Custodian herself.

“Oh no!” People gasped and cried.

Queen Marka’s body was broken and mangled, but she was still recognizable. Her silver hair, now saturated in dust, looked even more ghostly now than before.

“So, Ragoba’s dead, and so is the Director.” Said von Richtofen. “What do we do now?”

Inez cast a confused look at the Institute fighters.

“Ragoba was our squad leader.” Honeydew explained. “He was of honorable demeanor.”

Inez was devastated. She barely knew any of these people, but in the short time she had, she grew to respect many of them. It caused her genuine pain to see the Galactic Custodian dead like this. The woman had fought so hard to end this war, only to end up broken in the wreck of an Old World school. Marka did not deserve this. No one did.

Inez felt a tug on her skirt. She looked down at Cassandra.

“Does this mean you won’t go to Canaveral after all?” Cassandra said. “What about the other kids?”

“I… I don’t know, Cass.” Inez confessed.

Suddenly, Cape Canaveral seemed so very far away.

“Just… just for now, let’s try to get back to the Grey Phoenix base.” Inez told her sister. “We can figure things out from there.”

As the two girls started to depart the scene, Inez noticed the trio of Emerald Institute members were following them. She did not object. Where would they go, anyway?

Inez had no way of knowing what direction she was headed. Smoke obscured the sky and the city itself was flattened. She simply started walking over the debris toward the next glowing light. She could see it; just over a hill of plaster, metal, and drywall that was probably a building yesterday. Inez started to climb the hill, but another tug at her skirt caused her to stop. Cassandra was pointing back toward the field of dead.

Somehow, Inez had missed two groups of people she knew well. And now… she found herself wishing Cassandra had not spotted them.

The Wolverines and Stormbreakers were together, the former group having just arrived on the scene. Cassandra pulled Inez along as she walked towards them. As Cassandra pulled Inez into the group, Jay, Lawrence, and Cera set down a body that was so badly destroyed it was impossible to tell who it used to be.

“No, no. There’s nothing you can do.” Jay said. “She’s gone.”

Inez felt her heart drop into her stomach. It was Piper Russell. Just the tone in Jay’s voice was enough to confirm it for her.

“Hey, Ridge.” Victoria said. “We need another pair of hands, can you help us out?”

Inez, almost in a daze, followed the Stormbreakers and Wolverines over the ridgeline to an even worse scene. The Robinson family was here, or what was left of it anyway. Himawari was weeping over the bodies of four men while her father, Blake, held to her tightly. Both Blake and Himawari were visibly injured. Two Saiiban soldiers sprayed their wounds with Nanomedikits, pleading with the two Humans to hold still.

This time, Inez could no longer bear the traumas of the night. She fell to her knees alongside Himawari when she realized just who the dead men were:

Pascal Etienne.

Robert Lansing.

Amako Patariki.

Marcus Robinson.

In one fell swoop, Himawari was robbed of both her husband and her only sibling. Blake Robinson had lost his only son.

“Not like this.” Blake muttered under his breath. “Not like this.”

“Inez!” Victoria cried out. “Lawrence! Over here! We need help!”

Inez looked around to see what was going on. The Stormbreakers and Wolverines were digging frantically at a pile of rubble.

“He’s still alive!” Corder panted. “Hold on down there! We’re coming to you.”

Inez scrambled to her feet and joined the dig. Cetla, Corder, and Kingi were the strongest of the group and carried away huge slabs of concrete while everyone else focused on smaller bits of wreckage.

“There’s two more people down here with me!” A Levakian voice called out. “They can’t breathe! Hurry!”

Munkustrap, Honeydew, and von Richtofen all joined in. In seconds, they could see faces.

General Macavity of the GDF dug his claws into the drywall and pulled himself free. Following him out of the hole was a man dressed up as an American Resistance fighter and Emanuel Espinosa.

“Dad!” Cassandra and Inez cried out before hugging him.

“I thought we lost you!” Inez sobbed.

“And you might have.” Emanuel replied. “If it weren’t for mister Marrah here. He doesn’t lose his head in a crisis.”

Jay, Lawrence, and Cera all greeted the American named Marrah very warmly.

“This is the guy!” Jay said. “He led the Chippewa cell back in Michigan when we took Alpena! It’s great to see you again, dude. When the hell did you get to Orlando?”

“About an hour before all this went down.” Bradley Marrah replied. “I brought about thirty Chippewas with me but… I think they’re buried under all this.”

He gestured around.

“Killed before they got to fight. It’s a real shame.” Bradley said.

So, this really was it then? Inez, like the others, was so preoccupied with digging out survivors and mourning the dead that the greater implications of what had just happened were only now starting to sink in. She looked around once more, and the full weight of the situation finally hit her.

Orlando was destroyed.

A city of fifteen million people was suddenly and violently wiped off the map, and with it, the majority of the combined military force that would have assaulted Cape Canaveral. Several GDF leaders were dead, including the Galactic Custodian herself. The Mahuika was also gone, meaning there was now an opening for the Paradox and her allies to escape from the base.

It was all over. Akira had won.

Despairing, Inez sat down and put her head in her hands.

The Stormbreakers, Wolverines, Institute fighters, and Robinson family members all sat down together, overwhelmed by the night’s events. Maui raised his smart glasses to his face. They were cracked but still functional. He saw that it was just past midnight on December 25th.

Today was the anniversary of the Battle of Archer’s Canyon, the great moment where Whetu Kealoha, the first Partogan Queen, led her people to a glorious victory against a superior foe.

Maui remembered his history lessons on Aoraki. He remembered the words of Tohunga Nixie, passed down from generation to generation, about how Whetu assaulted the Snowskin fortress, fending off enemies who wielded weapons she had never seen before. During the Wars of the Famine, Whetu was motivated by the knowledge of what would happen if she failed. Partogans and Levakians alike would have died out. All would be lost.

Now, the men and women huddled together in the ruins of Orlando found themselves in a similar crisis. The Paradox held every advantage: Numbers, weapons, and Psionic power. Her enemies were laid low, disorganized, and crippled beyond the ability to fight or even prevent her escape.

The war truly was over, and Akira was (at the last second) victorious.

A conversation, soft at first, began to fill the air among the group. Some fighters were trying to discuss a plan for what happened next, in the face of this disaster.

Secretary-General Robinson wanted Emanuel and Inez to flee north, taking Cassandra with them. He (accurately) pointed out how lucky everyone was that the sudden destruction of Orlando had not caused Cassandra to transform and go on an Emerald Avatar rampage. Emanuel pointed out (also accurately) that Cassandra recently displayed control over her powers for the first time. He also said that protecting the young girl should be prioritized over all else.

Ninu wanted to gather up as many fighters who were able and willing and then launch an assault on Cape Canaveral regardless of the massive disadvantage. Emma von Richtofen told the group she wanted to contact the Galactic Council and seek new orders. Jay, Lawrence, and Cera all wanted to scatter and go back into hiding, in preparation for yet another guerilla war.

Finally, though, someone brought up a topic that needed to be discussed, but was being avoided.

“Where’s Jericho?” Cetla asked. “The last time I saw her was at the signing ceremony, about fifteen minutes before the roof caved in.”

Lawrence stamped his foot on the ground.

“She’s probably buried under all this.” He admitted. “And as much as I hate to say it, I think Jericho is dead. There’s no way a frail old person can survive something like this.”

“I did.” The voice of Secretary-General Robinson forced everyone to fall silent. “And Jericho has survived far worse than a building falling on her. None of you saw her at the Battle for Earth, or the War in Heaven. It will take an act of God to kill that woman, I assure you. And if you want proof that Jericho is still alive, then take a look at my grandchild.”

Victoria blushed as all eyes suddenly fell on her. Instinctively, she curled up into the fetal position, covering herself as best she could. This was not really necessary: as while Victoria’s dress was nearly destroyed, she was still covered from head to food in dust.

“I don’t get it.” Emanuel said. “What are we supposed to be seeing?”

“Search your memories. Has my grandson always looked like that?” Blake replied, putting a lot of emphasis on the word “grandson.”

Inez was the first person to understand.

“The Psionic Illusion!” she gasped. “Victoria! I… I mean, Varian! You’re still under Jericho’s illusion! We can still see your real self!”

Victoria looked down at her own arms and pulled at the hem of her tattered dress.

“Holy shit.” Victoria breathed. “So… wait a minute…”

“Jericho is still alive and maintaining the illusion.” Blake said. “My wife is holding down the fort in Berlin and thank goodness for that. But if Chihiro were here, she would tell you about her own experiences with the Gift. She would point out that keeping up an illusion like this is not a challenge, especially if one is experienced. Jericho is maintaining the illusion subconsciously. She’s probably not even aware of it.”

General Macavity nodded.

“If that’s the case, I need to gather up some soldiers and start digging. We need to get Jericho out of wherever she’s trapped!”

Ninu sprang to his feet, looking excited.

“Good idea.” He said. “While you do that, we’ll go to Canaveral and hold the Paradox down until you can send Jericho with some reinforcements!”

A dumbfounded silence occurred as everyone looked at the tiny lizard.

“I’m sorry… what!?” Said Cera. “I don’t know if you’ve noticed, little guy, but we are in no shape at all to fight anyone, let alone the Paradox.”

Ninu sighed.

“I know that.” He admitted. “But the alternative is unacceptable. Right now, Akira has Psionic weapons, soldiers that are loyal to her, and total impunity to use both. To say nothing of those three star cruisers.”

Ninu clambered on top of some wreckage, looking down on his seated audience.

“You’ve got to remember we’re not alone out here. The Galactic Defense Force still has units all over the Sol System. They will have seen what happened and will come to our aid. Thanks to Stormbreaker Robinson and Stormbreaker Tachibana, the UN government is slowly coming around to our side again. We can expect help from them too. But what good is that help if it arrives after the Paradox makes her next move?”

Inez felt her heart swell with affection for this little guy, and she stood up to join his plea.

“He’s right!” Inez said. “My mom has the advantage right now, but we can take that away from her. All we need to do is get to Canaveral and take those kids out from under her nose. They are the key to Prometheus! If mom thinks someone is making a move to take the kids, she’ll drop everything to protect a crucial part of her plan. We’ll keep mom’s focus on us until the cavalry arrives.”

“There’s only a handful of us left.” Munkustrap said. “You’re talking about a suicide mission. Akira has got her own personal army in that base. You really think a couple dozen lightly armed folks can break in and secure over two-hundred children?”

“Fifty-three people brought down the entire ADVENT Army.” Secretary-General Robinson said. “I was one of them. Do not doubt your own abilities.”

That was enough for Inez. She walked out of the group and turned back.

“I’m going to Cape Canaveral.” She said. “I’m going to keep my mom busy until General Macavity brings backup. Who is coming with me?”

All six Stormbreakers, the three remaining Wolverines, Emanuel, Bradley Marrah, the two Saiiban soldiers, and the trio of Institute fighters all rose to join Inez. They were committed to the fight now.

Now that Inez had a fighting force, all she needed was a way to get to Canaveral from here. That was going to be difficult. The spaceplanes Ark Angel and Niagara were nowhere to be seen. They were either buried or destroyed. The transportation issue was solved, however, when word of the renewed plan to assault Canaveral reached the other group of people Inez saw earlier.

Several other survivors volunteered to join Inez’ self-styled suicide mission.

Ruunhan Somtaaw volunteered at once, bringing along a Hiigaran man who worked as a crewmember aboard the pirate ship Ashoka. Colonel Mason Sharp joined as well, bringing a fellow Ancient American with him. Finally, with a great crashing sound, Eerabik showed up, riding on the shoulders of a Baterra warform.

The machine stood about eight feet tall. While it was not as tall or imposing as a Sectopod, it was better than no mechanical help at all.

Finally, the Mutons and Andromedons of Grey Phoenix were able to pull Shipbreaker Karfu away from the body of Crew Chief Magra. Karfu not only volunteered for the mission, she also brought good news about a transport.

“If it’s still there in the junkyard, you might be able to fly the Kakama.”

Several Mutons and Andromedons volunteered to stay behind with General Macavity and Secretary-General Robinson. They would dig Jericho and any other survivors out of the rubble, and then send reinforcements to Cape Canaveral as quickly as they could. General Macavity promised to lead the charge personally. But before the party left, the Mutons and Andromedons handed over their weapons. Inez and her allies walked away carrying Laser Rifles, Plasma Cannons, and Gauss Guns. Eerabik’s Baterra attached a railgun to its arm for good measure.

Leaving the wreckage of Disney University behind, Karfu led the party to a barren hole in the ground that used to be Clear Lake. Whatever destructive force attacked Mahuika and Orlando had lost power this far north of the city. Here, buildings and starship parts falling to the ground did most of the damage. Larger structures had managed to remain rooted to the ground. Inez felt sick when she realized how many bodies were strewn about the scene, illuminated by the flames of burning homes and cars.

For the third time that night, Inez felt a tug at her skirt, and this time it was very unwelcome.

“Cass!” Inez gasped. “What are you doing here? I thought I left you with Blake Robinson!”

“Couldn’t stay.” Cassandra mumbled, half-crying. “I don’t wanna lose you again.”

“You can’t go where I’m going Cass.” Inez said. “Battles are no place for little kids. You could…”

Inez wanted to say “You could get hurt.” But she knew Cassandra all too well. It was much more likely that Cassandra would harm everyone around her, friend or foe alike.

Cassandra picked up on her sister’s line of thought right away and began to cry.

“I don’t wanna hurt anyone!” Cassandra protested. “I’m not doing it on purpose!”

“Oh, I know that.” Inez took Cassandra’s hand and squeezed it tightly. “And I’m really glad for that. I don’t want you to be… well… a killer like me.”

Again, Inez had changed her sentence just before speaking it. Even so, she felt disgusted with just how much she was like her mother.

“Please don’t leave me.” Cassandra sobbed. “I promise I won’t hurt anyone!”

Inez hugged her sister, and an idea came to her mind.

“Hey, do you remember that moment at the beach? Where you were kinda floating around in your own bubble?”

“Uh-huh. Yeah.”

“Can you do that again?” Inez asked. “Please? I would be so happy if you could do a Psionic shield again. That way I’ll know you’re safe.”

The Grey Phoenix base was a wreck. A multistory office complex had fallen onto the facility before smashing into millions of little bits. Clouds of paper billowed about in the darkness. But perhaps most crucially of all, the starship Kakama was still there.

The historic Partogan Frigate was looking even more battered than it did during both the Battle of Aoraki and the War in Heaven, but she was clearly intact.

“We don’t need her to go far.” Karfu said. “Just about eighty miles to Canaveral, and she’s rugged enough to survive a crash landing if push comes to shove. Well, Nezzie? What do you think?”

Inez squeezed Cassandra’s hand and then loaded her Shadowkeeper.

“Everyone load up.” She said. “We’re doing this. And don’t call me Nezzie.”

Twenty-three men and women, one Baterra, and one child clambered aboard the Kakama. As the aged vessel fired up her engines for one last journey, the team of rescuers made their introductions and got to know each other.

The group who would attempt the Rescue at Cape Canaveral was a motley crew, consisting of people from all over the Galaxy.

There were eleven Humans: Inez Espinosa, Lawrence Ridge, Jay Lansing, Cera Roberts, Victoria Robinson, Mason Sharp, Emanuel Espinosa, Bradley Marrah, Emma von Richtofen, and Ted Navarro. (a friend of Sharp)

There were three Saiiban: Claws of Honeydew came from the Emerald Institute, while Beak of Lavender and Plume of Maroon were with the Galactic Defense Force.

Two Hiigarans: Ruunhan Somtaaw brought Navin Soban from the Ashoka. She explained to her new comrades that Kiith Soban was the greatest warrior clan Hiigara had, and Navin could be trusted in battle.

Kingi, Cassandra, and Corder were all Hybrids, each one having genetic ties to the Partogan-Levakian Commonwealth.

Eerabik, Maui, Cetla, Ninu, Karfu, and Munkustrap were the only representatives of their respective races: Ozkox, Partogan, Micore, Kelt, Muton, and Levakian.

Grim handshakes were shared around the old bridge as the Kakama’s nuclear power plant thundered to life one last time. Creaking and groaning, the old starship lifted off the ground in an almost reluctant manner. Her engines and armor made deep groaning sounds that warned the vessel could fall apart at any moment, and she lurch forward leaving behind a few scattered pieces of her engine bell as she went.

At stake this morning were the lives of two hundred alien children, and perhaps the final chance to stop Akira Robinson before she became unstoppable.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Akira may have halved the GDF/UNE leadership but she has unwittingly accelerated the assault and, thus, her ultimate doom, energised the survivors and brought ample proof to all the galaxy of just how dangerous a person she is (If that even needed remembering).

Her brilliant plan is not so brilliant after all. Beyond crushing two million innocents with their hopes and dreams, she has achieved nothing of long lasting value.

But here comes the final battle of the final installment! Oh boy am I excited! Here's hoping Inez's suicide mission isn't so suicidal after all!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is this von Richtofen related to the Red Baron?

Akira managed to gut the UN and GDF governments, but they'll recover. This also counts as a declaration of war, so I think it's possible that some soldiers from other parts of Earth might join if they hear word of the plan.

It's heartwarming seeing that so many people are willing to fight. The plan appears to be a delaying action, but is it possible that it goes so well that it becomes the Final Battle?

Is it bad that I see Etienne's fate as karmic?

Are there any psionic weapons that could give an advantage against Akira? What happened to Whetu's sword? Does Akira still have it?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Akira may have halved the GDF/UNE leadership but she has unwittingly accelerated the assault and, thus, her ultimate doom,
Not only the leadership, but the GDF and American armed forces as well. Whatever reinforcements Macavity brings to the fight will be a fraction of the force Marka brought to bear.

she has achieved nothing of long lasting value.
You're kind of right. She has transformed the Galactic Defense Force into a thing of the past, along with one of the most powerful starships in the Galaxy. She's also hidden the 3rd Hyperspace Core and has eliminated all but one of the people who could find it.

None of these accomplishments will matter unless Akira gets offworld. If she and her future Psionic Army can reach the Deneb system, it'll be her Galaxy and we'll just live in it.

Is this von Richtofen related to the Red Baron?
You caught that Easter Egg! Nice. Yeah, Emma is a very distant relation, but she has no idea where her name came from or of its significance. (A grandparent brought the surname back) A very wide swath of her family tree was wiped out by the ADVENT Coalition during the occupation and she has no connection to the Old World that she knows of.

It's heartwarming seeing that so many people are willing to fight. The plan appears to be a delaying action, but is it possible that it goes so well that it becomes the Final Battle?
It's a very desperate delaying action. Notice how the Rescue was so hastily put together that there is no real plan to extract the 200 children?

Inez and crew have no idea what to do once they make contact with the alien kids.

Their only hope is for Macavity to show up with reinforcements. If he brings Jericho... so much the better.

Is it bad that I see Etienne's fate as karmic?
No, I don't think so. Here at the end, the time for comeuppance is nigh.

Are there any psionic weapons that could give an advantage against Akira? What happened to Whetu's sword? Does Akira still have it?
Oh, good thinking. Most Psionic weapons currently in circulation are already in the ISO's possession, most of which are underneath the VAB at Cape Canaveral.

Inez and her team do have the prototype Prometheus Device, which Piper Russell stole from the Apollo Center in an earlier chapter. It can be used as a Psionic Amplifier, but it is of a much lower quality than the updated version Akira is now using.

The prototype device is currently aboard the starship Kakama.

Whetu’s sword (the one seen in The Legend of Whetu Kealoha) was never recovered.

The Soulkeeper sword (seen in Faith in Chaos) is locked away in the Partogan Royal Palace on Aoraki and can only be accessed by the Queen of the Commonwealth... and currently, there is no Queen.

Reactions:
Chapter 42: The Rescue at Cape Canaveral
I'm back!

Chapter 42
The Rescue at Cape Canaveral

December 25, 2086
Merritt Island, Florida

The starship Kakama thundered across the Florida landscape. It would be a short journey from the ruins of Orlando to the UN base. Aboard the aging vessel, the occupants had only minutes to prepare.

Starting with Inez, Cera, Corder, and Victoria, everyone visited the Grey Phoenix armory two decks below. They discarded their formal outfits and donned whatever armor was available. Unfortunately, because Grey Phoenix was acting (until recently) outside of the law, the armory only contained the sort of gear one would expect guerilla fighters to use. Lightweight plate armor was the only protection available to the would-be rescuers.

Inez and Victoria each took a Spider Suit, an XCOM combat suit that was very badly outdated. Judging from the way hers looked and smelled, Inez would not have been surprised to learn it was manufactured in 2015.

“Without power armor, we’ll be vulnerable to poison gas and incendiary weapons.” Victoria commented.

“Then pray our enemy has neither.” Corder suggested.

Inez tied a holster to her leg and placed the Shadowkeeper in it. Victoria peered down at the weapon before looking back up at Inez.

“That’s my grandmother’s gun.” Victoria said.

“Yeah, your granddad gave it to me.” Inez replied.

Victoria paused. She looked as though she was trying to make sense of something. Then her eyes widened.

“Holy shit. I never thought of that. You and I are family… if you ignore Akira being from some other timeline, I guess.” Victoria said. “Try not to get killed, cousin.”

Lawrence, Jay, and Cera exchanged their guerilla fatigues for slightly more modern plated armor. Maui scanned the old equipment with his smart glasses and reported that protection would be minimal.

“Each of us can only withstand one or two direct hits from a plasma weapon with this armor.” He said. “We must try to avoid a direct confrontation if we can.”

“And how will we do that?” Asked Eerabik.

The Avian senator was riding on top of her Baterra escort. The giant robot stomped around the armory, too big to fit comfortably inside.

“We’ll use this.” Lawrence replied.

He moved swiftly to one of the equipment lockers and opened the door. He withdrew the strange contraption Piper brought back from Canaveral.

“That’s the portable hologram device.” Inez said. “The one my mom was using to create the False Jericho.”

Lawrence nodded.

“There’s a good chance Akira did not know Jericho was in Orlando.” Lawrence explained. “If we show this thing off, we might get a few of the base staff to realize just what kind of monster they’re working for and come over to our side. It’s worth a shot.”

Everyone murmured and nodded in agreement.

“Two minutes to Canaveral!” Shipbreaker Karfu called from the bridge. “We’re going to come in low and fast so the anti-air guns don’t get us!”

As the Kakama sailed over the ruins of Titusville, everyone got a glimpse of the wreckage below. Whatever force destroyed the Mahuika and Orlando had struck here as well. A trench was gouged into the town, so deep that it was starting to fill with water from the Indian River. Cape Canaveral lay ahead. On the bridge, Inez could look through the front window and see the lights of the Apollo Center.

An alarm sounded from the helm.

“We’re coming in too fast!” Karfu shouted.

At the helm, Ruunhan Somtaaw gripped the controls tightly.

“Nothing we can do about that.” She said. “It’s either this or get shot down! Everyone brace for a hard landing!”

Kakama put her nose down and dove.

Inez looked around the bridge and grabbed Cassandra, holding her tight. The Baterra warform braced itself in a far corner while the Emerald Institute team held onto its limbs. All three Saiiban fighters flapped their wings and took flight, grabbing onto the backs of chairs with their talons to hold steady.

Ruunhan leveled out the descent just a few feet from the ground, and then gently lowered the Kakama into the surface.

With a great roar, muddy swamp water splashed up and away from the starship before coming back down in a loud crash. Kakama lurched forward and then came to rest in the swamp. The aged vessel made a series of deep groans, and then several pieces of armor fell off.

“The ship’s coming apart!” Cetla yelled. “Everyone out!”

The twenty-four rescuers quickly moved to evacuate the ship. Ted Navarro, one of Colonel Sharp’s Native American allies, kicked open a boarding hatch and led the escape. Two at a time, everyone splashed down into the ankle-deep mud. Behind them, the starship groaned and creaked again. The engine bell detached from the old frigate and fell into the swamp, splashing everyone nearby. Cassandra screamed as slabs of armor plating broke free, sliding down the hull and into the mud.

Just as Eerabik, Cetla, and the Baterra got free of the shipwreck, the Kakama’s lights finally went out, and the two-century-old frigate was finally still.

“Is everyone here?” Inez called out.

She quickly took a headcount and verified that all twenty-four rescuers, plus one Baterra, were present.

“Not gonna lie, I really thought that ship was our ticket outta here.” Bradley Marrah said. The Michiganian resistance fighter looked worried. “How are we gonna get two hundred-some-odd kids outta here without it?”

“We can’t.” Inez said. “That’s why we left Macavity behind with the Levakians and Mutons. He’s going to put together a proper rescue party and then come get us.”

“He’s going to rescue the rescuers?” said Navin Soban. “Some plan.”

Ruunhan gave her compatriot a harsh look. The Hiigaran space pirate quickly changed his tune.

“But it’s the best plan we’ve got, so… uh… engines ahead full, I say.”

Inez tapped her leg to make sure the Shadowkeeper was still in its holster. Then she turned and started walking toward the distant lights of the Apollo Center.

“I know Rafi Bakir pretty well.” She said. “He’ll assume we’ll try to fix the starship before kicking off a rescue attempt. If we leave now, we can get to the kids before base security arrives.”

To her surprise, no one argued with Inez. The team moved out at once. Cassandra rode on Cetla’s shoulders, while Ninu rode on hers. Everyone else started squelching through the marshy ground, putting distance between themselves and the shipwreck.

The walk from Kakama to the Apollo Center was less eventful than Inez was expecting. She, and several other members of the party, were expecting to be ambushed or engaged by Base Security at any moment. To say nothing of the five-hundred Space Rangers stationed here. In a nightmare scenario, Inez knew that Rafi Bakir would be on the base, personally leading those elite troops.

Yet the minutes ticked by, and the group moved deeper into swampland surrounding Cape Canaveral. Whenever someone’s feet sloshed loudly in the muddy water, Inez was terrified they would be found out, but no enemies came. There were no searchlights, shouting, or gunfire. This only made her feel more apprehensive.

Inez looked around, checking in on her fellow rescuers. Peering up, Inez saw Cassandra. Her younger sister was riding on Cetla’s shoulders, turning her head from side to side as though she was scanning the horizon. Cassandra held onto Cetla’s head and muttered to herself:

“We’re invisible. We’re, like, totally invisible. The bad guys can’t see us right now.”

Six months ago, Inez would have witnessed this and failed to understand any of it. But things were different now. Inez knew about Psionic sensitivity, as well as the link between herself and Cassandra. Inez had to open her mind for just a moment before she perceived something. A kind of warm energy was radiating out of Cassandra’s body. It was not the same painful heat she gave off just before a transformation, but something else. Cassandra’s body was emitting Psionic energy… and she was making a conscious effort to control it.

For just a fleeting moment, Inez dared to hope that Cassandra’s power would tip the scales. Then she pushed the thought out of her mind. Asking Cassandra to use her power would be the same as asking the young girl to stand in the front line.

Up ahead, there were signs of activity. All three drydocks at the Apollo Center were illuminated, and the Prophet-class cruisers were being readied for launch. The Apollo building itself was abuzz. Even from three hundred yards away, it was possible to hear the noise and chatter of two hundred alien children talking to one another.

“We normally aren’t awake this late at night.” Cassandra commented. “They must be getting ready to move everyone.”

“Onto the ships, probably.” Inez said.

Then she turned to the rescuers.

“Stealth!” She hissed. “Everyone keep low and quiet. We need to hold the element of surprise for as long as we can. Eerabik, tell the big guy to hand back until we’re ready for him. Cassandra, when we get started, I want you to find the biggest, thickest tree and hide behind it. You stay there until I come back for you, understand?”

“But I-” Cassandra started to say.

“Stay behind the tree.” Inez insisted. “And if any bad guys come for you, use your Gift.”

Up above, there was a brilliant half-moon. There would not be enough light to reveal the rescuers until they came closer. Tall grass and cattails grew wild in the swamp, allowing Inez and her team to draw near without being spotted. Cetla held back. The sheer size of his body caused him to make sloshing noises in the water, but if a fight broke out, he could catch up and become a giant lumbering terror in the night. Corder and her Levakian comrade were right at home in these conditions, they slunk through the tall grass as though hunting, weapons at the ready.

Behind them, a UN Skyranger flew in circles above the Kakama crash site, trying to figure out where everyone had gone. But after just half an hour, the rescue team had reached the edge of the Apollo Center’s perimeter, and were hiding a dense grove of shrubbery and tall grass, just outside of the carefully manicured lawn.

As quietly as she could, Inez signaled a halt. Victoria and Lawrence carried the message to everyone else, and before long the whole team stopped and was holding position in their hiding spaces. The trio of Saiiban fluttered up and into a nearby tree, watching the scene from high up.

Inez picked out a large tree on the northwest corner of the complex, not too far from the backside of the Apollo Complex’s main building. In between the complex and the drydocks, there was an open grass field, and just over two hundred alien children were gathered together, dressed in winter clothing. The kids were huddled a massive group, standing together, while several men and women wearing base security uniforms patrolled the perimeter.

“Not much longer now.” Said a familiar voice. “We just need to get a few things straightened away and we’ll start loading the ships.”

Doctor Polly Spark was addressing the children, standing on top of a milk crate. While she spoke, UN operative Yassen Ackermann was holding a tablet computer up to her face. Polly adjusted her oversized glasses while she read whatever was on the screen.

Inez counted the armed guards and realized her team of rescuers actually outnumbered them. She turned to Lawrence and Victoria.

“Okay, here’s the plan.” Inez whispered. “Mom needs those kids for Project Prometheus. Without them, she doesn’t have her first generation of Psionic soldiers. There’s twenty-three of us and about ten guards out there. I need you to quietly tell everyone to get in position to spring an ambush. We’ll take ‘em by surprise and get the kids.”

“Then we hole up inside that building?” Victoria asked, pointing at the Apollo Complex.

“I don’t like it.” Lawrence said. “That building is too close to the starships Akira wants to escape on. Plus, we need a place Macavity and his forces can reach more easily. Like a building on a main road.”

“The VAB is your best bet.” Inez replied. “You can get there on major roads from the north and south, and you can see it from far away. Oh, and its huge.”

“How do they move two hundred kids around?” Lawrence asked. “There’s gotta be a bus nearby.”

“Two busses.” Inez replied. “They’re parked just over there, around the far corner of the building.”

She pointed to the east side of the Apollo Center.

“If we need to move the kids, the busses are easy to use, just hit a button on the console and the engines will start up.” She said.

“So that’s the plan.” Lawrence repeated. “Ambush, get the kids, move the kids to the VAB, hole up and wait for rescue. Yeah, I can do that.”

The group started to fan out, keeping to the darkness. Meanwhile, Polly Spark was talking into a two-way radio.

“Get the Director over here!” She was saying. “Tell her Ackermann found something she’ll wanna see.”

A UN Army vehicle started driving across the field. Inez could see it was some kind of armored personnel carrier, armed with a rotary laser cannon attached to its topside. The rescue party stopped moving and hunkered down, watching the vehicle warily. To her left, Inez heard the telltale slam of a car door. Then a group of figures came around the side of the Apollo Center, walking into the field. Inez gasped, remembering at the last second to cover her mouth.

The False Jericho was approaching. Now that she had seen the real Jericho, spotting the fake one was easy. Her snow-white hair and cape billowed behind her, yet there was no wind.

“That’s the Paradox.” Cera breathed. “She’s using that disguise again.”

“The Paradox is impersonating Jericho?” Ninu said. “No wonder my blood boiled.”

“Holograms?” Eerabik hissed.

“Yeah, holograms and maybe some other energy fields.” Professor Espinosa replied. “She can fake Psionic powers with that thing too.”

“Don’t rule out real Psionics.” Karfu warned. “That thing works as an Amplifier, too.”

“Shh!” Inez hissed. “Look over there.”

Two of the guards approached the armored personnel carrier and pulled its back door open. Six men and women were dragged out of the vehicle. They were all handcuffed and looked as though they were recently beaten. All six of them wore the uniform of the United Nations military. Inez saw two American men, a South Sudanese woman, a Chinese man, an Arabic woman, and a Ukrainian man all being marched out of the vehicle. With a jolt of the stomach, she recognized two of them.

Central Officer David Sepulveda had a split lip, but looked otherwise unhurt. Next to him was Adam Barter, a UN soldier Inez hooked up with several months ago. The False Jericho sneered at the group of prisoners, and David gave her an equally disdainful look.

“I do not need to guess.” The False Jericho said, speaking in a voice that just barely resembled Akira’s. “There is only one reason the six of you would be hiding in a refuse bin for days rather than face me. Out with it.”

“We know who you are!” Adam yelled. “You’re not Jericho, and you’re not Scarlett Freeman either. You’re the Paradox. You blew up Asalele! You killed Makara Ranginui, Ignatius Petoskey, and so many other people!”

The False Jericho did not flinch.

“The Paradox is dead.” She said. “She’s been dead for fifty years. How dare you show such disrespect to me, the one who fought and sacrificed to give you this world?”

“You’re not Jericho!” Adam yelled. “You’re a charlatan, a phony! A trickster in a hologram!”

Polly Spark and Yassen Ackermann closed ranks around the false Jericho, as did several of the security guards. They leered at Adam, many of them with homicidal expressions on their faces. Meanwhile, the crowd of children drew closer to one another, seeming to pick up on what was about to happen. Levakian cubs mewed and curled their tails between their legs. Vanians hid behind Mutons and Taiidani, while a Hiigaran pre-teen put his hands over the eyes of an Assurian girl.

The False Jericho looked around at the kids and her supporters.

“For you, this will be a lesson in obedience and respect.” She told the watching crowd. Then she addressed Adam. “For you, it will be your just punishment.”

Hidden in the bushes, Ninu grabbed his laser pistol and started to lunge forward, but Corder grabbed him.

“Are you nuts!?” She hissed. “We’re here for the kids! Don’t throw your life away.”

In any other circumstance, Inez would have agreed with Corder instantly, but this was different. She cared about Adam, and fear was causing her muscles to tense. She too was about to lunge.

The False Jericho stared into Adam’s eyes. His defiant glare met hers, and then the impostor spoke.

“On your knees.”

Adam did not more.

“I do not take orders from a monster like you.” He said.

When she spoke, the False Jericho’s voice sounded almost demonic.

“I said kneel.

Adam’s eyes went wide and he clasped both hands to the side of his head. He fell to his knees, still holding onto his head, and cried out in pain! It was a strained wail that cracked his voice. Adam pressed both of his hands to his temples and screamed even louder. The other five prisoners took a step back, wincing at the miserable noises coming from their comrade.

Watching this scene from the safety of her concealment, Inez felt something deep inside of her suddenly snap. She realized that no one was going to save Adam, or David, or anyone else. She no longer cared if this was the best moment to interfere. Waiting would do no good anymore.

“Weapons!” Inez screamed at the top of her voice. “Hold your fire until I give the word. Follow me!”

The next moment, twenty-three fighters emerged from the darkness and stepped into the open field. Red and green lights from laser and plasma weapons illuminated the rescuers until they stepped into the floodlights with weapons raised. The mass of children saw the newcomers and panicked, screaming and shrieking to the heavens above. The base security guards started to raise their weapons, only to hesitate when they realized they were outnumbered. The False Jericho broke her gaze and Adam was released from whatever Psionic torture he was going through. Panting, he slumped to the ground.

In that single moment of surprise, Inez raised the Shadowkeeper, aiming with both hands on the weapon, Inez put the front sight directly over her mother’s chest, but she did not fire. Saving Adam was one thing, but the intervention came so early that Inez had still not built up the mental willpower to kill her own mother. Instead, Inez raised her voice and screamed:

“This madness ends right now! Mom, you are a liar and a murderer. You’re not Jericho, not even close to being the kind of savior she is. You’re a monster, you’re lower than the Beast! You are Akira Robinson! Everyone who knows the truth, over here!”

David Sepulveda, Adam Barter, and the other four prisoners quickly scrambled across the grass toward the rescue party, but they had only gone a few paces when, over their shoulders, Inez saw the one member of base security recover from their shock and start running to join Inez and the rescuers

“Cowards!” The False Jericho yelled. “Everyone who years for a free Earth and a strong Humanity, to my side!”

There was an earsplitting bang! A column of white light shot into the night sky before exploding into a ball of red fire that sank slowly back to the ground.

“Flares!” Bradley said. “They’re calling for reinforcements!”

“It’s now or never!” Maui added.

“LIGHT ‘EM UP!” Inez shouted.

Gunfire erupted on both sides of the battle line. Combatants dropped the ground, crawling for any over or concealment they could find. The huddled mass of children screamed and shrieked before turning and starting to run back toward the Apollo Center building. Inez pointed the Shadowkeeper at her mother and blindly pulled the trigger. The weapon made a noise like a cannon and belched a cloud of dense black smoke. At the same moment, a black-and-white blur shot past Inez on her right.

“Ishwar!” Cried out a familiar high-pitched voice. “Din! Nakula! Were are you!? Can you hear me!?”

Inez had no time to see who was talking, as at that moment, a laser bolt sailed over her head and she ducked to the ground.

“Check your fire!” Corder roared above the din. “We’ve got children in the line of fire! Watch your aim!”

The lights and sounds of gunfire were like that of a thunderstorm. Inez holstered the Shadowkeeper and drew her laser rifle. In the tall grass, saturated with early morning dew, she saw steam rising from the barrel of her weapon. Inez spotted a flicker of green light a short distance away, the muzzle flash of a plasma weapon. She squeezed the trigger of her own rifle and returned fire.

Mud and dirt sprayed up into Inez’ face! Someone had just tried to shoot her and missed by a narrow margin. Inez rolled over to one side and looked up just in time to see the Baterra warform and Cetla thundering into the fight while Eerabik and the trio of Saiiban flew above. The Baterra took aim with its railgun and fired a slug. The concussive blast of the weapon deafened Inez for just a moment, and when her hearing returned, she could hear the voice of Akira Robinson yelling:

“Retreat! Fall back now!”

After a few moments, the noise of gunfire died away, and there was only the sound of people panting and asking if everyone around them was alright. Inez stood up and took stock of the scene around her.

Akira Robinson and her supporters had fled the scene, but not all of them got away. Out of the original ten, four security personnel were dead on the ground. One man was blown away by the Baterra, while Corder and Munkustrap killed another. Victoria, Emanuel, and Jay brought down the third man while the fourth was dropped during the opening salvo and it was unclear who was responsible. Polly Spark was also dead. She was shot and killed during the first moments of the fight.

Among the rescuers, there was only one injury. Karfu had been shot in the shoulder by a Gauss Rifle, but in true Muton fashion, she was “shrugging it off.” Karfu’s sheer size and density meant it would take much more than a single gauss slug to bring her down.

David Sepulveda and four of his fellow prisoners came over to Inez’ side. Both of them felt a pang of guilt when they realized Adam Barter was killed by crossfire at some point during the fighting.

“I never saw who did it.” Inez confessed. “I’m sorry, David.”

“I’m the one who should be sorry.” David said. “I should have figured out who your mother really was long ago. She just…”

“She said a lot of things you agree with.” Inez said. “I know. I thought we were all on the same side for a while too.”

With help from Karfu and the Baterra, the prisoners were freed from their shackles and picked up weapons from the fallen. Then Victoria asked:

“Where’d all of the kids go?”

A high-pitched voice replied.

“We’re in here!”

Everyone turned toward the Apollo Center. Standing in front of the glass doors, Cassandra Espinosa waved both hands over her head to get the rescuer’s attention.

“We’re all in here!” Cassandra repeated. “Everyone’s okay!”

Inez felt her heart sink into her stomach. Now that she thought about it, she realized that it had been Cassandra who ran past her during the firefight. As the group ran toward the structure, Inez started to raise her voice to scold Cassandra from disobeying her, but Lawrence stopped her.

“Survive now, parent later!” He said. “We’ve got a bigger problem now, look over there!”

Just as she reached the building entrance, Inez looked around. Far away, on the horizon, a second flare was visible, burning bright red in the night. Someone had answered the first flare from a few moments ago. Maui quickly donned his smart glasses and looked around, taking in as much data as he could.

“Your mother put out a call for reinforcements.” Maui said. “And Rafi Bakir has replied. He’s going to bring a force of UN Space Rangers down on us in a few minutes.”

Inez did a quick headcount, realizing that the rescue party had expanded to twenty-eight members. Twenty-nine if she counted Cassandra.

“How many Space Rangers?” Inez asked.

Maui’s voice cracked as he replied:

“About five hundred.”

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
“Survive now, parent later!”

Wise words.

The rescue couldn't have gotten off on a better note: the first batch children are all rescued, five more hands are added to the rescue team, Akira is sent running and no casualties are suffered by the rescuers.

The only not so good note is indeed that there are five hundred Space Rangers on the way. Here's hoping Macavity's force arrives in time to reinforce our heroes.

Talking about Eerabik and the Baterra, I wonder, are their ambitions fulfilled or are they bidding their time and waiting for their common enemy with the GDF, Akira, to be defeated for them to make their bidding for galactic dominance?

• 1Like
Reactions:
The children are free, but things are getting worse for the rescuers...

It's nice to see that some of Paradox's old allies have defected.

It's also nice that Inez and Varian/Victoria have realized their relationship.

What's up in the wider galaxy right now? Did the Commonwealth elect a new queen? Is the GDF completely destroyed as an organization?

Will the Time Core become relevant again? That would also be useful for our heroes...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Glad to see you back and more of your version of Eerabik!

Meanwhile, things aren’t going too great for her Stellaris Wars counterpart...
Glad to be back. It looks like I need to pay a visit to Stellaris Wars: A Nemesis Ironman Saga II - Rebellion: The Imperium at War and find out what's going on over there.

The only not so good note is indeed that there are five hundred Space Rangers on the way. Here's hoping Macavity's force arrives in time to reinforce our heroes.
Five hundred Space Rangers, plus a rather disturbing surprise. This final battle is going to be my last chance to include a Star Wars reference in this story, and I intend to seize it.

Talking about Eerabik and the Baterra, I wonder, are their ambitions fulfilled or are they bidding their time and waiting for their common enemy with the GDF, Akira, to be defeated for them to make their bidding for galactic dominance?
The armies and space fleet of the Baterra are still running loose in the Sol system. Only about four hours have passed since the Annihilation of Orlando, so they are slowly becoming aware of what is happening down on Earth. Tragically, the battle might be over by the time the Baterra respond in force.

Are Eerabik and the Baterra's ambitions fulfilled? Not by a long shot. Whether or not Eerabik survives the Rescue at Cape Canaveral will have a significant impact on what role the Baterra play in the post-Canaveral future.

What's up in the wider galaxy right now? Did the Commonwealth elect a new queen? Is the GDF completely destroyed as an organization?
At this point, only about four hours have passed since the Annihilation of Orlando. News of the event has not spread beyond the Caribbean region yet. Neither the Commonwealth nor the GDF are aware of her death yet.

The GDF navy still exists, but their army has been functionally wiped out. Any force General Macavity brings into the battle will be a fraction of the size is could have been. At this point, Macavity is the only leading member of the GDF who is aware of Marka's fate.

Will the Time Core become relevant again? That would also be useful for our heroes...
Afraid not. Akira gave up her chance to rebuild it, choosing to hide the stolen Hyperspace Core away instead of smuggling it off the planet. But there is one crucial detail here that will have a serious impact on the ending:

At this point, only two people know where the stolen Hyperspace Core is... Sophie Murphy and Akira Robinson. If this knowledge is lost, the story will have a very different ending.

• 1Like
Reactions:
y4mNUrSRLDoWSrArg1MeJtq8oGuPaYfCAYH1jwUv2hyM7u75biCxljZZ4Wwrmt_xCO4S1UxgBZwwAVigbVIVQvBJm0YytRObObBkQ6_h4BLsuJlKzGfYOtl3YbVZTkDkSwUVNvTFagdn4c6lWJv8KXY7lSt_-trZgNJWgsI2_EheoUnR0WijQXDtufMgFbvGgvE

It's that time of year once again folks! @coz1 has launched the big one, the grand voting event we've all been waiting for!

Click this link to see the main AwAARds thread! Get your ballot, and vote!

• 3Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 43: After Everything

Chapter 43
After Everything

December 25, 2086
Cape Canaveral, Florida

Inez fought down a sense of panic as she walked swiftly through the Apollo Center basement. Alongside the other twenty-eight rescuers, she took a census of the many children they had just taken charge of. There were eighteen species present: Partogans, Levakians, Assurians, Kelt, Amadii, Vanians, Micore, Hiigarans, Taiidani, Vaygr, Saiiban, Morbuzakh, Tobari, Scyldari, Voor, Kel-Azan, Blorg, and Ozkox.

After some frantic headcounting, Inez, Victoria, Lawrence, and Eerabik agreed that there were a total of two-hundred-thirteen children in the Apollo Center.

“One Hiigaran frigate could take them all.” Ruunhan said. “We just need to hold out until Macavity gets here.”

“This building is not a good position to defend.” Colonel Sharp said from the stairwell. “To many windows, too many entrances, too close to those damn star cruisers. If we’re going to move to the VAB, it’s now or never.”

Inez clambered on top of a work bench and shouted for quiet. Getting two hundred youngsters to fall silent was easier said than done, and it took a few moments for silence to fall.

“Listen to me.” Inez began. “I know it may not seem this way, but we are here to rescue you and take you back to your families. But things are going to get much more dangerous before they get better. I need you to follow our directions, alright? To make sure nobody gets hurt tonight before they get to go home.”

“When I say give the word, you’ll follow my friends to the busses, and we’ll take you to the VAB.” Lawrence added.

Both Inez and Cassandra waved to get his attention:

“For stuff like this, we give the older kids some responsibility.” Inez explained. “It was part of mom’s plan to turn them into Psionic soldiers. Future officers and whatever.”

Cassandra cut to the chase. She jumped onto the table, raised her voice and said:

“Big kids, take charge!”

The haphazard evacuation began. David Sepulveda took the time to raid the storage room and get additional weapons and armor for the UN soldiers he defected alongside. Sergeant Rella introduced the other three soldiers to Inez: Corporal Shen Cai was born and raised in China, while Private Tahmin Ashkani was a Tunisian woman. Private Dmytro Rybak was Ukranian. All three had seen the message Inez broadcasted to the Galaxy and accepted the truth about Scarlett Freeman’s identity.

“None of us would have worked for the Paradox if we knew who she was!” Ashkani said.

The Stormbreakers and Wolverines worked to load the busses as quickly as possible, while Colonel Sharp and Ted Navarro kept watch for the enemy. Inez found Emmanuel, Ruunhan, Karfu, Eerabik, and Munkustrap examining the prototype Prometheus device. Someone had brought it along from the Kakama after it crashed.

“I saw the projectile enter here.” Karfu said, pointing at one of the bottom corners of the metal backpack. “The hologram flickered for only a moment, but it was quickly restored.”

“What are you doing?” Inez asked

“I don’t think you noticed,” Munkustrap said, “But during the firefight, your mother was wearing one of these packs. She was using it to sustain her fake Jericho getup.”

“The hologram emitter and Psionic amplifier, yeah, I know.” Inez said. “What about it?”

“Someone shot it.” Karfu said. “During the firefight, your mother withdrew from the fighting as soon as she realized her Prometheus device took a bullet. We think the pack she was wearing suffered damage, but we’re not sure how to exploit it.”

“Karfu’s not being honest.” Ted cut in. “We have an idea, but she and Professor Espinosa keep vetoing it.”

Inez folded her arms.

“Oh, out with it.” She said.

Ted and Munkustrap both pointed at the prototype.

“This thing has a functioning Psionic amplifier.” The Levakian said. “And your sister is Gifted.”

“No!” Inez yelled. “Absolutely not!”

“Hear us out, at least!” Ted protested, but Inez was having none of it.

“I’m not going to ask my sister to put herself in the middle of a gunfight!” Inez said. “That’s too far!”

“You don’t have to ask me.” A small voice said behind her.

“Cass is a kid, not a soldier.” Inez went on. “She’s too young to kill, or die for that matter.”

“Nezzie, would you just listen to me!?” A high-pitched voice rang out and caused Inez to falter.

Cassandra was right there, hands on her hips, looking defiant. Inez started to launch into another declaration, but Cassandra stopped her:

“I don’t want to hurt anyone.” Cassandra said. “I’ve hurt people before, I don’t like it. But Nezzie… I don’t wanna die, either.

Inez felt the wind leave her chest. Of course, she had forgotten that despite her age, Cassandra understood the full gravity of the situation, and the eleven-year-old fully comprehended the fact that her life could end just a few minutes or hours from now. Cassandra’s voice cracked as she spoke.

“Nezzie, those bad guys are gonna kill us if they get the chance.” Cassandra said. “Please… I want… I don’t wanna…”

Tears welled up in Cassandra’s eyes, making them looking like shimmering emeralds. A dull light flickered in her body, turning on and off in perfect synchronization with Cassandra’s heartbeat. Inez sighed and relented, with reluctance.

Handling the device with care, Inez, Karfu, and Munkustrap helped Cassandra put on the Prometheus Device. The metal backback was held in place with leather straps and connected to the wrist cuff by a series of electrical wires. Cassandra tapped the Elerium crystal in the cuff to make sure it was fastened in place, and then she looked up at Inez.

“I can make those bubbles more easy now.” Cassandra said.

Inez remembered that day on the beach. Cassandra was talking about telekinetic shields. When this came to mind, Inez relaxed a little. At least her sister would be safe from harm, so long as she kept her cool and did not transform at such a crucial time.

Just when there were only about twenty children left to load onto the busses, Eerabik cried out from the rooftop.

“I see the enemy! Space Rangers approaching from the northwest!”

Bright red beams of laser fire lit up the night as the enemy opened fire on her. All of the avians took flight and vacated the rooftop, while the lone Baterra laid down suppressing fire with its railgun.

“Everyone aboard!” Inez yelled. “It’s now or never!”

Cetla, Kingi, Colonel Sharp, and the avians all rode on the rooftops, while everyone else piled into the cabins. Ruunhan drove the first bus while Lawrence took the second. As the two vehicles pulled away from the Apollo Center, Jay, Ted, and David ran to the back of the second bus and kicked open its emergency exit door, firing their weapons out of the opening. Aboard the first bus, Inez gave directions to Ruunhan.

“You’re gonna go southwest on the Kennedy Parkway!” Ienz said. “Then turn left just before you reach the old Boeing hangar. Turn right on Utility Road and it’ll take you directly to the VAB service entrance.”

It all seemed so easy.

As soon as the two busses turned onto Utility Road, the pops and snaps of gunfire sounded. Scattered members of Base Security opened fire as the vehicles raced by. Some of them were on ground level, others were on rooftops. Lawrence swore.

“Shit, we’ve gotta clear the building! Victoria! Take the Stormbreakers and the birds, secure the VAB rooftop! All Americans, with me to clear out the ground level. Everyone else, get those kids inside.”

“The Prometheus engine is inside a reinforced chamber!” Inez said. “The kids can hide inside of the bunker!”

The Baterra swung itself around and pointed its railgun at the VAB service entrance. The garage door was down and in the locked position. A single railgun blast rectified this, and the two busses powered into the VAB before coming to a screeching halt. Everyone debarked as quickly as they could. Victoria and the other five Stormbreakers started the long climb up the staircase to reach the roof, while Eerabik and her Saiiban companions flew up to get there first.

“Kids! Hit the floor!” Colonel Sharp suddenly yelled. “Everyone drop!”

Panicked screaming filled the air as all of the children threw themselves down to the floor. Sharp pointed towards one of the vertical bay doors before firing his plasma rifle at it.

“Enemies on the East side!” Sharp said. “They’re moving to flank us!”

Inez, Bradley, Emma, and Sergeant Rella raised their weapons and fired through the wall, but did not dare approach.

“This is a terrible place to have a gunfight.” Sergeant Rella commented. “The building is too wide open, with no cover aside from the bunker in the center.”

“Speaking of the bunker,” said Tahmin Ashkani, “Someone removed the Prometheus Engine from inside of it. We can fit all of the kids, plus ourselves if we need to.”

“Put the kids in there now.” Inez said. “The rest of us need to take defensive positions around it. If we all cluster up, my mom can hit us all at once.”

Inez was thinking about that night in Michigan, so many months ago, when her mother had incapacitated the Stormbreakers and Wolverines in less than a second. The two teams of fighters were grouped together in a single room. Inez knew this disaster could not be repeated tonight.

The discussion was interrupted by the sounds of gunfire and shouting from the rooftop. From down here, there was nothing Inez could do but listen and hope.

Five hundred feet above, the Stormbreakers burst onto the rooftop, ready to help Eerabik and her companions.

“Hostiles!” Kingi yelled.

There were seven people on the rooftop, all of them armed. The rooftop defenders were already shooting at the avians when Ninu, Corder, Maui, and Cetla erupted through the door with guns blazing. Victoria spotted a contraption on the roof behind the enemy and felt her heart drop into her stomach.

“Someone smoke that Hyperwave!” Victoria yelled. “They’re calling for help!”

Kingi raised his rotary plasma cannon and spun up it up. A moment later, all four barrels spat green bolts toward the device. The Hyperwave Relay exploded; sending sparks flying in all directions. Eerabik, Beak of Lavender, Plume of Maroon, and Claws of Honeydew descended upon the device and started pushing it towards the edge of the building.

“No!” screamed the smallest of the enemy soldiers. “Stop right there!”

Victoria turned to see a young woman, no older than eighteen, running towards Eerabik. The avian senator had no idea she was about to be shot in the back.

“Freeze!” Victoria yelled. “Stop, or I’ll shoot!”

The young woman fired wildly at Eerabik, sending plasma bolts sailing high over her. Victoria raised her laser rifle, aimed down the sights, and squeezed the trigger once. A single beam of bright red light sailed through the darkness and struck the attacker squarely in the chest. The young woman let out a faint “oh” and crumpled to the ground.

“SOPHIE!!” Another voice screamed.

Victoria had only a moment to react before two people tackled her. It was Inez Vasquez, and Yassen Ackermann. Both of them wrestled the weapon out of Victoria’s hands before pulling her towards the edge of the building!

“How could you!?” Vasquez shouted in Victoria’s ear. “She’s a kid!”

“I need help!” Victoria called out.

A moment later, Corder pounced. Vasquez and Ackermann both released Victoria and tried to face the new threat. Corder snarled at them both, causing the enemy to each take a step backwards. But Vasquez moved in the wrong direction. With a strangled cry, she accidentally stepped over the edge and fell off the roof, tumbling five hundred feet to the ground below.

Perhaps realizing that he was seconds away from a similar fate, Ackermann lunged forward and grabbed Corder around the neck! Corder snarled, clawing and biting every inch of him she could reach. A moment later, Eerabik and Claws of Honeydew both landed, one of each of Ackermann’s shoulders. Digging their talons into his body, they pulled Ackermann off Corder and with a great flap of their wings, sent the man over the side and to his death.

Finally, the rooftop was clear, or at least, the fighting was stopped.

“Oh, holy mother of Jericho!” Ninu gasped. “Vicky, get over here!”

Victoria broke away from Corder and raced to Ninu’s position. The little lizard was holding the hand of the young woman Victoria had shot only moments before. Victoria looked into her eyes, and felt as though the entire world was crashing down around her.

It was Sophie Murphy, her half-sister.

Victoria fell to her knees and grabbed at her step-sibling.

“What… I don’t… what happened!?” Victoria could barely speak. “I need a Medikit here! Someone, please!”

Sophie squeezed Victoria’s hand to get her attention. Victoria looked down to see her sister’s mouth was moving, but only the slightest whisper came out. She leaned in close, so that she could hear every word:

“Forty-nine degrees… thirty-six minutes… fifteen-point-eighty-three… seconds… North.” Sophie whispered. “Three degrees… three… deg… three… th…”

Sophie’s final breath caught in her throat as she desperately tried to force more air into her lungs. She strained and struggled to get those last few words out as her body failed…

Inez could hear Victoria’s anguished scream from the ground level, and she felt a new wave of fear wash over her. She could only hope that her cousin was unharmed, though that seemed unlikely right now. Even so, Inez now had a much bigger problem on her hands.

“We’re surrounded!” Navin Soban reported. “Space Rangers are taking up positions in the buildings around us, and we’re got nine Sectopods coming up the Parkway from the south. They’ll be on us in just a few minutes!”

Karfu, Dmyro Rybak, and Emma quickly scrambled to get the last of the children into the bunker. Lawrence started pointing out places along the building that could be turned into defensive positions.

“Macavity is coming!” He said. “We just need to hold out!”

Inez looked around and saw Jay trying to barricade one of the doors. She moved to join him but felt a small hand tugging at her arm.

“Wait a sec!” Cassandra was saying. “I can help!”

Inez fought down the urge to tell Cassandra to go inside of the bunker.

“Okay, how can you help?” Inez said slowly.

“I… I think I can put a bubble around the building.” Cassandra replied. “This amplifier is supposed to make my powers stronger, right?”

“Kind of, yes. Amplifiers don’t give you extra powers; they just increase whatever you already have.” Inez replied. “You really think you can shield everyone here?”

Cassandra nodded. She looked apprehensive, but Inez could detect a small undercurrent of confidence deep within her little sister. Reluctantly, Inez agreed.

Outside, Rafi Bakir stood in the parking lot by the ruins of NASA’s once-famed countdown clock. Behind him, the historic launch sites could just barely be seen. In front of Rafi, he could see most of the Kennedy Space Center. One of his assistants pointed out the buildings surrounding the VAB. Rafi could see Space Rangers taking up positions on their rooftops and on the roads surrounding the facility.

“We have a report.” Said the assistant. “Thermal optics tells us that all of the xeno kids are inside of the Prometheus bunker, and the bunker itself is now sealed. All remaining contacts at the VAB are hostile.”

Rafi folded his arms and smirked.

“Good.” He said. “Now we can engage them without restraint. Give the word for all soldiers and Sectopods to open fire. Do not enter the structure, shoot the hostiles through the walls. We’ll deal with the xeno kids once the Stormbreakers and their friends are dead.”

At his words, the darkness lit up once more. Hundreds of rifles, machine guns, cannons, and other lethal weapons opened fire. The sound of the attack rolled across the compound like thunder. Flashes of laser and plasma weapons briefly turned night into day. Nearly five hundred soldiers aimed their weapons at the VAB, shooting blindly into the façade in hopes of killing Inez and her friends through the walls; and the structure was being attacked from all sides. There was nowhere to hide for anyone within.

Rafi watched the attack play out with some satisfaction, but he was distracted when his assistant raised his radio to listen to a message.

“Intel, this is First Platoon. How many hostiles did you say were on the roof?” Said a voice on the radio.

The assistant quickly replied:

“First platoon, Intel here. I told you there were ten hostiles on the roof: Four Avians, plus the six Stormbreakers.”

“Negative.” Replied the First Platoon leader. “We count eleven now. A girl just appeared up there. Not from the stairwell. She just… appeared… out of thin air. We, uh… I don’t know how to say this but… that girl who just popped outta nothing… she’s…. she’s…!”

Rafi did not need to listen to the radio anymore. He could see for himself. On the roof of the VAB, he… and everyone else for that matter… could see a brilliant point of yellow light, one that seemed to be growing brighter and brighter with every passing moment. All nine of the Sectopods stood up to their full height, turning their heavy cannons against whatever this thing was. But Rafi, from his distant vantage point, could see what others could not.

Laser beams, plasma bolts, and Gauss slugs were flying towards the strange glowing light but none reached their target. They were being deflected! He could see each projectile take a hard ten-degree turn in midair, missing the target by a wide margin. Beam weapons were even more apparent, bending and refracting in midair as though striking a mirror.

“Cease fire!” Rafi yelled. “Everyone hold your fire!”

The order went out, and after a few moments, all of the guns at the Kennedy Space Center fell silent. For just a few short seconds, the source of light atop the VAB was so intense that the whole scene was lit up as though it were daytime. The sky above was blue and the stars absent. Long shadows were casted from the VAB in all directions, and Rafi felt so warm that he wanted to take off his armor.

Then, as quickly as it appeared, the light went out. Cape Canaveral was plunged into darkness once more. Up above, the stars winked back into view.

Inside the VAB, Emma let out a cheer.

“They quit firing!”

All of the other rescuers, who were starting to appreciate just how narrowly they had escaped death, joined her. The VAB was in ruins. Thousands of holes were punched in the wall by weapons fire. Metal scaffolding, pulverized by laser beams, had fallen to the floor. Smoke and flames crawled up the southern wall, and yet…

No one was dead. Nobody was even so much as hurt.

“That was insane!” Navin yelled, “We should all be dead by now! What happened!?”

The answer was standing just to the side of the Baterra warform.

Cassandra was bracing herself against Inez, struggling to remain standing up. Both of her arms were extended out from her, and she looked a little like an Old World crucifix. Cassandra’s body was flickering intensely as Psionic energy rippled out from her. Inez could tell she was suppressing an imminent transformation.

“Okay, Cass. That’s enough.” Inez said. “That’s enough!”

Cassandra lowered her arms, took a deep breath, and collapsed to her knees. Green lights continued to flash inside of her torso, but with less intensity. Cassandra bent over and rested on her hands and knees, panting heavily, her long black hair fell over her face, hiding it from view.

Inez put one hand on the back of her sister’s head.

“You did great, Cass.” Inez said. “I guess I misjudged you. I’m sorry.”

Up on the rooftop, The Stormbreakers, Eerabik, and the trio of Saiiban were staring dumbfounded at one particular spot on the roof. Corder’s jaw hung open, as did Cetla’s and Maui’s.

“Was that… who I thought it was?” Eerabik breathed.

“I hope so.” Kingi replied. “I pray to every god or spirit ever imagined that we just saw… who we thought we saw.”

A distant noise roused everyone from their shock.

“Look!” Corder cried out. “Look to the north!”

Even in the darkness of the night, there was no mistaking the shimmering form on the horizon. A column of battle tanks was thundering at high speed down the main road! Maui quickly put on his smart glasses and scanned the incoming vehicles. His heart leapt with joy so much that he jumped into the air and cried out:

“It’s Macavity! He’s brought the GDF!”

The joyful news quickly made its way throughout the whole VAB, and all twenty-nine defenders raised their voices in celebration!

A formation of nearly a hundred armored vehicles from the Galactic Defense Force raced down the road toward the Kennedy Space Center. Taiidani battle tanks formed the vanguard, while Voor and Scyldari hovercraft formed the main body. Partogan artillery brought up the rear. At the very head of the formation was a Levakian Siege Tank, a massive hovercraft with a railgun mounted on its turret. General Macavity of the GDF was standing up in the commander’s seat, his head sticking out of the turret. In his left paw he wielded a Slugthrower rifle, while in his right he carried the flag of the Partogan-Levakian Commonwealth.

Leading his formation from the front, Macavity urged the GDF column forward, towards the space center, but his allies on top of the VAB could see something he did not.

“Oh, no!” Eerabik shouted. “Look out!”

With a great roar that drowned out all other noises, white flames rose up from the drydocks near the Apollo Center. Silhouetted against these flames, three shapes rose into the night sky. It was the Prophet-class Command Cruisers.

“Oh, holy Jericho!” Victoria gasped.

One by one, the Solaris, Confucious, and Zoroaster rose into the night.

Aboard the Solaris, Commodore Lorenzo Vargas took control. Yaroslav Dotsenko, Akbar Saraki, and Zhen Li took their posts on the bridge. None of them had anything to say about Inez Espinosa’s defection. They all knew which side of this battle they were on.

“Commodore, I detect ninety-six GDF military vehicles on the road below us.” Said Zhen Li.

“Transmit their location to the Zoroaster and Confucius.” Commodore Vargas said. “I want all three vessels to open fire on that convoy.”

Standing atop the VAB; there was nothing the Stormbreakers could do. But they tried. Maui fired his laser rifle into the air, sending three bolts up at a time. Corder jumped up and down, waving her arms desperately. Cetla shouted and screamed, Victoria tried to contact Macavity via radio, but did not know what frequency he was on. Kingi fired his plasma cannon at the trio of rising starships. Ninu prayed to Jericho.

All three cruisers rose to about one thousand feet of altitude. Then their turrets swiveled to face the GDF convoy. Simultaneously, the cruisers opened fire. Mass drivers and ion cannons tore through the ranks for the Galactic Defense Force. Tanks exploded, their crews incinerated. Armored personnel carriers fell into fresh craters before being buried in mud and swamp water. GDF soldiers tried to flee to either side of the road, only to be cut down by precision blasts from energy cannons.

Finally, a single missile shot away from the Zoroaster. All three of the cruisers rose to a higher altitude while Maui screamed to the group:

“Everyone cover your eyes!”

The nuclear warhead detonated about two miles behind the convoy, about a hundred feet over the ground. There was a flash of white light as the Apollo Center, only a few feet away from ground zero, was completely vaporized! Then the shockwave rolled up the Kennedy Parkway, taking the entire GDF convoy with it. For miles around, the swampland erupted into flames. Keeping their eyes jammed shut, the fighters on the rooftop felt the pressure wave race past them and smash every window in the Kennedy Space Center.

Then, it was finally over. Looking up, Victoria saw the black mushroom cloud rising above Merritt Island, illuminated from below by a wildfire raging through the swamp. The GDF convoy was destroyed. Not one soldier or vehicle reached the twenty-nine rescuers.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions: