• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sigsmund

Second Lieutenant
21 Badges
Jan 16, 2014
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2
Korea, the land of the Joseon dynasty at the start of 1836. Such a pleasant land it is, I must say.

But from the start, the monarch has decided to get Korea back on its feat and in the files of the modern world!​

MeIuXJe.jpg

Greetings and welcome to my new AAR, "The land next to the rising sun!" This is my 2nd AAR on the forums. After the success of my South African AAR, I decided that I needed something more of a challenge, so I decided that the next country I should play as should be Korea! Why Korea, you may ask? Well, despite not being in the best of positions, they have good POPs, have Iron and Coal RGOs and have a good population.

As always, I shall set a list of ground rules for myself:

1. Don't cheat
  2. Don't go over infamy limit

Now, the primary goals for this AAR:

• Westernize
  • Get some place in Africa
  • Industrialize

The secondary goals are things that I could do for the fun of it, but are not actually required:

• Get a region in Europe
  • Colonize the Pacific
  • (Somehow) annex Manchuria

Also, as a little note, I'm aware that someone has done a Korean AAR (back in the days of original Victoria 2) before, so this is not the 1st time they have been done. So yeah...let's get this show on the road!

Last edited:
Glad to have you all on board! I'll post the 1st update today (I wake up early, not creepy at all.:) )

Last edited:
Last edited:
Chapter 1: To go or not to go outside?
1836-1846

Here is where Korea is located in the game, just for the sake of Geography:
hAmzerC.jpg

Next to Japan and China.

We should check on out statistics to see what our nation is made up of.
KhQlDrq.jpg

We are all Koreans!

Now, economics wise, we try to sort things out, as being a unciv country with a economy as bad as Greece's can be a challenge.
jrr0Fa2.jpg

Economy-completed!

Now, being a unciv country that we are, we are limited in our choices in NFs. For now, we shall encourage clergymen for our capital region to increase literacy rates by a little.
4rBPbpL.jpg

Yes, yes we can.

The Informer gives us some insight on what's going around the world for us.
xKJYFGg.jpg

Obviously, of course.

As a uciv nation, we can't research techs until we westernize, so for now, we must rack on research points in the meantime. Also, I forgot to add that we are allied to Chine at the start, so it's a primary thing that we stay allied, should someone try to attack us.
ov7ZcEP.jpg

Well, that's what we got at this time.

We need to annex some one, as this peace is rather boring and deluded.
6DYcCqn.jpg

Say...how about we visit an old pal of ours?

We get 15.8 infamy for the "conquest" clasus belli. At least it's not the full effect.

We send our poor Clipper Transport fleet over to our intended destination.
iUJSNRd.jpg

Poor quality.

We declare the war.
ixAIijN.png

War is declared!

We land our Southern Army and defeat the minor 3,000 army in their capital.
SN6xJxb.jpg

Ownage.

We annex Brunei, which becomes a state in our realm.
YR9HZgE.jpg

Hurrah!

The rest of the year till 1846 is just fill with nothingness and more troop-building. Man, being a unciv seems boring, huh?

I'll soon regret those words at one point though. It's a matter of when..

Well, that's all for now folks! Let's see where we can take Korea in the world!

Statistics:
9yirh3p.jpg

Great choice! I think it will be very interesting at least as I can compare with my Japan's game....

Were this Pop Demand Mod, you'd probably have to put up with an aggressive Japan, but here it's not guaranteed. The USA will probably sphere you at some point, which should help shield you from foreign aggression.

Thanks for the feed-back so far guys! I'll hopefully have the next update out today (since this week has been filed with stuff like Valentines day. :wub: )

Excellent choice of nation! I've never really given thought to playing as Korea, so I'm eager to see what you do and perhaps you'll give me ideas if I decide to try and create a Korean Empire!

I've never seen a Korea AAR! Looking forward to more conquests. :)

Terribly sorry for the quite here guys, this week (and part of the weekend) have been very busy for me, so today, I will promise to get a update out today. Once more, sorry for the delay!

Chapter 2: Siamese Cats
1846-1856

We start off the update with our 1st reform!
R4zgt5o.jpg

Foreign Training Methods.

These "Reforms" will get us closer to westernizing every time we en-act one. We are at 10% atm, so we need to get 100% to fully be able to westernize.

We find out we are buddies with the United states of America.
PPLrwfI.jpg

'Merica, spreading the wings from sea to shining sea.

As usual, The Informer tells us how these countries in the north of Germany formed something of a confederation. Odd, huh?
9OFKfjx.jpg

What is this "Neptune?"

Peace is boring. We need to war someone! We decide Siam shall be a good target, but we should give some of their unlawful territory back to a neighbor, so in the future, Siam will be a easier target to get at.
u4UpUAx.jpg

We are cursed with a Pandemic Influenza in Korea, lowering our population.
Ox6Nadz.jpg

I feel sick...

The justification cost us 1.6 infamy. Wow....
qtpgD2T.jpg

Korea Stork

The war is declared. We decide to bring in China to the war.
JUWuvSu.jpg

Small Asia coalition!

Obviously, we ask for military access to China, which they accept.
Qd549ua.jpg

We are in the same war, derp.

Guanqxi gives us military access.

The Chinese hordes make short work of Siam, and sooner or later, they surrender, with another war goal added.
Yq8WAef.jpg

Almost modern-day Thailand.

Russia is slowly starting to make its way to Asia through Manchuria. This is concerning.
7GjM0gA.jpg

Help me, China...

We enact out 2nd reform to westernization!
lja2Abe.jpg

Hurray!

We are at 25% till westernization. We still have a long way to go...

The United Kingdom apparently releases Johore as a satellite. This should be interesting if Johore manages to break free...
KOOFL8N.jpg

Pretty interesting...for annexing!

I'll end the update here guys. Sorry for the delay, I hope this update covers for that.

Statistics:
U9d9nvB.jpg

Good/bad luck bout that sphering (don't know which, since I don't play Vicky), and hopefully Korea can stand their ground against the Russian bear.

Good stuff, your foray into the Siam went well, although Korea has no territory to show for it. Conquests can be an excellent way of boosting your westernising speed - do you have any plans for expansion before you westernise?

Thanks for the feedback guys!

@SotV: I'm not sure to be honest. The Yankees anyways seem to go after some of the sub-states to sphere.

@GreatUberGeek: Having the U.S sphere me is a mixed blessing: On the one hand, it's unlikely nations will declare war on me, especially Britain. But on the other hand, this kills my ability to tariff properly, since the US will get 1st bids on goods and of course ruins the tariffs. Yeah, I think Korea can stand a chance.

@Seelmeister: Yeah, I do actually hope to get as many regions as possible before I westernize so I can have more states and therefore more factories to build. But, I do need to keep in mind my literacy rate, as it goes down when I get new regions with low literacy.

Last edited:
This looks awesome. Looking forward to the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere with Korea as it's head.