The Kobarian Bonded-Merchants Company: The Quintessential Reports (A Mostly-Base-Game Stellaris AAR)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nemo of Utopia

Private
24 Badges
Jan 6, 2021
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
"The Kobarian Bonded-Merchants Company": how that name irritates and confounds me.

Who am I? You may call me "Vir", the rest of the Kobarian Mercantile Empire, (to use a more accurate, though unofficial, name), does, though that isn't actually my name. My name, whatever it was, lies lost in the distant past of the Empire, before it even existed, in fact. The Kobarian empire is based on the planet that was once called "Holy Terra", long, and long ago. Before the dark-times, before the "War that Ended the World".

Humans, so prideful, so foolish, so arrogant to believe we could long survive the advent of the terror weapons that our civilization invented, at the height of its powers. Yes, I was human, once, but I am no-longer. What I did, in that long-ago era, I do not know; while "The Central-Intellect Transference Process" captured the refined essence of my personality, it did not, or at least does-not now, include the majority of my memories from before it was completed. That process was finished over 2200 years ago, and back-then there were other survivors of the "The War That Ended The World" who were, likewise, transferred from failing human bodies into cold-and-enduring circuitry, the best that the height of human technology could produce, in terms of durability and stable programing. Of those first several thousand; only I, and five-or-six others, remain: and I alone am still willing to interact with the world outside our little sealed data-bunker, deep beneath the ice of Antarctica, with any regularity.

It was during the earliest years after the nuclear exchange that ended the world that I and the others conceived of The Kobarian Project; turning the top-rated genetic engineering technology of the old order to the task, we built a NEW human-race, not quite the same as the old, and modeled, in many ways, after the races of Star-Trek, notably the 'Klingons' & 'Farengi' though I remember little of what those words mean... We re-built the human genome through fifty years of experimentation and alteration to be able to endure, and even thrive on, the VASTLY colder and harsher world that they would inhabit for a million years to come. We then set 12 groups of them loose in the greater zones of the earth: North, South and Central America, Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa, Oceania, Antarctica and India, the Himalayas, and Greenland, (environments unto themselves, to our eyes, those last three): to evolve and develop without us.

Less than two thousand years later; we were greeted by an a group of civilized Kobarian explorers attempting to breach our bunker: intent on studying the artifacts of the old-order housed within. It had long-ago, at that point, been established that I would be the one to interact with them if this event happened; and-so it is I who has advised them (primarily) in the years since. In the around 200 years that have followed, they have, with immense effort re-capitulated, (after a fashion), the rise of the technological societies that made-up the heights of the human regime: until our foolishness brought it all crashing down. In certain ways, the Kobarians essentially merely aped our accomplishments, at first. However, with my guidance, (and those of a few of the other surviving poly-sapience's of the bunker, from time to time, whenever the mood strikes them), they have been guided away from the worst of humanity's excesses and into a more innovative path. However, it was to prove to my great vexation that they ended-up making one of the classic human blunders, and becoming a corporate-autocracy. They learned, from where I've no-idea, of the concept of investment banking and a stock-market, and in under 75 years, it spiraled utterly out of control. By the end of things, one immense mega-corporation had become the de-facto world government, and it was only through my status as a semi-divine guide in the eyes of the populace that I prevented utter disaster.

While I could-not prevent the corporate unification of Ærþ, (as our mutual home-world world is now called), I was able to guide them to a vastly different corporate-culture than that of the old order. They see the biggest investment being a good and stable life for all of their citizens, and build the overwhelming majority of their corporate endeavors around what they call "Green Company" models. A "Green Company" as opposed to a "Black Company" sees every employee as an investment: a thing to be husbanded and cultivated, like a prize flower. He-or-she must be nurtured, trained, grown into the shape you wish over decades, even, in the case of some of their primer families, centuries of closely tailored alliance-marriages for the ideal offspring and most valuable traits being promoted, while dangerous flaws are, not culled/eliminated, but: "deliberately suppressed" by breeding against "that type". This has also helped to prevent their most powerful families becoming a sort of 'corporate nobility' because there is much to be said, as we have told them, about exogenous breeding and the cultivation of ties to lower-strata families for reducing dangerous genetic flaws.

Their culture is an aggressively meritocratic corporation, which, never-the-less; is egalitarian, materialistic, and xenophilic: but not to a dangerous degree, in any of those cases. I take some credit for this, having swung public opinion against most other attitudes on numerous occasions. After all, spiritualism appears to often be coupled with anti-synthetic sentiments, but, I can't help but feel that I've been perhaps, a touch short-sighted at times, since with each advance towards materialism, my own influence has waned. Still, I'd not change the direction I took them for all the Sajoka in Amaruik.

What follows this synopsis of their history will be reports on the tenure of each of their main governors of the grand-corporation that leads them. Each such tenure is for a 20-year term, which seems far-from onerous to them, since we built the Kobarians to have as-extreme a life-span as we could manage. This has resulted in beings that live well-over 100 years, without undue stress or difficulty, often in excess of 150 years. The first-such leader who will be spoken-of in active terms is a woman named "President Prima Vatinius", a member of a long-standing "old-money" family, but, for all that, a real "go-meter" who has climbed to leadership of the corporation via hard-work, shrewd business sense, and a real eye for the 'next big thing'. In this case, with the recent advent of the "Garbrak/Macliz Drives", that is interstellar expansion. I meet with her at first-light tomorrow, and hope that she is as amenable to my guidance as her predecessors have been...

• 2Like
Reactions:
Welcome Nemo to the wonderful world of AAR writing! I hope that this, your first AAR, will be memorable and successful. As all firsts should be. A captivating and nice beginning; as a real life writer I'm a bit of sucker for good old fashion text and narration!

Cheers!

"There's only one way to go from here!"
(President Prima Vatinius: Tenure #1)

I remember my first meeting with President Prima Vatinius, like it was yesterday. This should be unsurprising, since, unlike you organics, I don't really "forget" things; if I think I will have any use for the memory it is retained indefinitely, and, if not; it is erased completely.

"Greetings, I am Vir, a synthetic artificial intelligence."

Those were my first words to the new president of The Kobarian Bonded-Merchants Company, when we met for the first time. Over the first breakfast meeting we shared, I told her much of what we could do as a team, to advance the company's cause, and she, for her part, showed wisdom in choosing to head my advice. The next five years saw the gradual expansion and development of corporate assets, including the expansion of their empire's military fleet, and the settlement of a new home-world for the Kobarian People, which was named "Nova Terra"\*. This Gaia-Class world was suspiciously close to the Sacred System of Sol, and even more strangely, unoccupied by either primitives, or any other empire. I feel, uneasy, about the relative lack of obstacles to its acquisition...
\*(As a side-note, I'm just as baffled with the sudden vogue for Classical Roman based names and social-customs over the past century-and-a-half of Ærþ's History, as I am with the emergence of the Corporate-autocracy that began taking control around the same time. Someone, or something, outside my direct knowledge, is interfering in the development of the Kobarian's cultural normative, and I mean to find-out who/what.)

The first five years consisted almost entirely of exploration and colonial development. Nearly the entire first year was occupied by the exploration of one other star-system and the construction of a series of mining and research stations in their home-system. However, as a second scientific/research vessel was launched toward the middle of the year, things began to kick into high-gear. More experience led to greater speed in surveying star-systems, and increased numbers of vessels and planets added to the fleet increased research speed, it was a glorious time to be powered-up and observing.

Over the next five years, a great deal of exploration and study occurred. The end-result was the development of two total planets beyond the home-world, though their colonization has proven slow, and difficult, mostly due to a lack of available resources, a problem that is still-ongoing. We also learned, between years 5 and ten of this tenure, that we shared an area of space with an ancient civilization that had, it would seem, been wiped-out by a terrible plague tailored to kill an entire interstellar empire by agents unknown. What has ultimately become of them, remains somewhat unclear, but we've found nothing concrete of their empire save ruins.

The next five years consisted mostly of a rapid scouting effort between systems by a number of science ships and their captains, culminating in the discovery of the first inter-stellar empire besides our own that seems to still be active in the galaxy. Otherwise of-note to have occurred during this period was the construction of the "Autochthonian Monument" on Ærþ, which led to a cultural revolution where the Kobarians decided to aggressively adapt their traditional power-structures to the exploration of deep-space. However, it has been our interactions with the "Uthonian Enlightened Kingdom" that have driven policy and decision-making for the last five years of this tenure.

The Uthonians are, as a race, aggressively spiritualistic and authoritarian, united behind a single all-controlling church that is primarily concerned with temporal, rather than spiritual, matters. While the Company President has avoided an outright war, mostly by dispatching one of our precious-few qualified diplomats to the task of maintaining good relations, she knew, and knows, that war with these militaristic crusaders is semi-inevitable. To that end, she has focused our efforts on developing a strong millitary and stout defenses along what we all know will become the borders of the interstellar trade-league she has spent the past 20 years building.

This brings up the matter of the growing dis-unity in the government. For a time after her ascension to rule of the company, President Prima Vatinius was unchecked in her comand of the empire, save, that is, for my advice and guidance. This changed around year 7 or so, when, out of nowhere, the Board of Directors altered the terms of the enfranchisement of the populace, giving any citizen who wished to a chance to speak before regional councils, who in turn reported to "National-Level" councils, and thence a Planetary Coucil, who sent a representative to the B.o.D. The Board would then act on these layers of representation in making policy decisions, which; through there here-to-fore rarely excercized power to revoke the tenure of a Company President, they used to force a degree of compliance on Prima Vatinius with regards to the political will of the Empire's population. Of these "factions" that rapidly formed thereafter, one is more notable than the others, (which still have a voice in the government), though only for the brevity of its existence. The "Kobarian First League" was a going concern for a mere 12 months. Advocating a radical shift in corporate culture to isolationism and aggressive militarization, they were quashed, quite without any direct interference by either myself or the Company President, by an uprising of Xenophile sentiments after a precursor factory which was still functional was located on Nova Terra. It proved to be such a great asset to the planet's population that mass-riots broke-out against the faction on the world, which, up-to that point, had been their greatest stronghold. When the rioting was over, lasting over a month, all-told in hundreds of separate flare-ups; the vast majority of the leadership of the faction had been guillotined or forced into hiding, and the rank-and-file of the organization either disavowed their involvement or went into hiding with the few surviving leaders. I personally find it odd, (given the nature of the rival empire we encountered later), that the faction has-not made a re-appearance; but, perhaps, they merely bide-their-time for the start of the war that all too many of us realize is inevitable...? Time will tell.

One last matter needs spoken of in this 1/5-century report on the company: the election that has seen President Prima Vatinius retained for a second tenure as leader of The Kobarian Mercantile Empire. The election was, in truth, a two-way race between the sitting president and the current governor of the Ærþ sector. While there were two more candidates, only one, Science officer Valina Chagula had any broad-based support, and she was too inexperienced to be a serious contender for high-office. The fourth, the Grand-Admiral of the Kobarian Navy, Galus Milonius, was backed only by a few scattered die-hard remnants of the Kobarian First League, and while they were enough to get him on the ticket, he had no hope of winning, and even-he knew it. In the end, it really came down to President Prima Vatinius VS Govornor Servia Paconius. As is my way, I abstained from interference in the decision. Both were highly qualified women, and both would have led the empire well, the final result, though, was not a disappointment; and the incumbent, as often happens, won.

May the next 20-year tenure go as-well as the first has...

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's quite the interesting back story.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Growing disunity in the govt. sounds problematic.

Will our AAR discover his own status as a fictional character, I wonder?

A megacorp with a narrating AI is a good idea.

"What Strange New Worlds, that have such creatures on them."
(President Prima Vatinius: Tenure #2)

President Prima Vatinius, long may she reign over our empire, spent the last 20 years on a relentless campaign of border expansion and closing-off the avenues for other Empires to enter our space. We are claiming space at a breakneck pace and... I'm deeply concerned by how-much we've exceeded our administrative capacity right now; there is a fair amount of lawlessness and chaos among our population, and I'm going to strongly advocate that the President make claiming new worlds for settlement the top-priority of her third tenure. (Bit of a spoiler there, sorry...)

The second tenure of our president began well-enough we were making a fair amount of progress, very regularly, but such prosperity was not to last. It was around the time that The New-Greenland Sector was created that things began to truly go wrong, as the president soon found herself trying to expand the Empire's borders on every front in advance of the second empire we encountered, The Quvarian Covenant, religious extremists even-more radical than the first group we located. I'm afraid that I must admit to having been largely responsible for advocating the decision to expand aggressively against both empires, as I felt that it was prudent to help ensure my-own survival through opposing the galactic ambitions of these religiously-fundamentalist regimes. Though the two religious empires share many similarities, they are, fundamentally, diametrically opposed to one another, and only our presence between them prevents outright war. Their religious beliefs are, naturally, incompatible with one-another, due to having formed a strong core of dogma in vastly differing environments. Our strength and power, has, for the moment, prevented outright conflict, but, at this time, we are stretched to the breaking point keeping them both in check and separated from one-another.

We have made a fair amount of progress, culturally, (from our origins), at this point, but, even-so, we are not nearly as far along as I'd like. Our adoption of traditions has progressed to the point where we begin to approach full development of our first tradition branch, a total integration with the concept of "Discovery" into the fabric of our empire. We also have adopted the basic ideals of all the other branches of traditionalist values, an accomplishment that I feel quite proud of. Not only that, but, at the moment, we are in the process of building toward the assimilation and integration of two primitive regimes, one of which is still in the bronze-age. I have a feeling that this achievement will mean great things for our civilization. The two regimes slated for integration into our empire will allow us to expand to new planets as never before, using their biological distinctiveness to boost the colonizibility of dozens of worlds that lie within our sphere, but have been seen as infeasible to settle due to their relative lack of land which the Kobarians could inhabit. Adding these other two races, will make that by-far less of an issue.

Our fleet-strength, over the past 20 years, has doubled; from a single flotilla of 10 corvette class vessels, to an armada of two such flotillas. We now stand at operational capacity for our military assets, and I've been strongly advocating that we expand the military no-further until that capacity increases. Our two commanding admirals are both cut from much the same cloth, committed mil-brat YUMPies who have an eye for logistical advantage. Their service records with the water-bound navies of Ærþ were absolutely SPOTLESS before they moved to the star-navy, and they have served us well in the years since. Our naval might is quite a bit behind the two rival empires we've encountered so-far but that is to be expected.

The Kobarians, unlike their human forebears, are a peaceful people, and see little profit in warfare. This, in a way, is strange: the were closely modeled, physically, after the Klingons, who one of the other human 'survivors' recently showed me some of the source-material about them, and it is patently obvious that they are portrayed as a militaristic race, belligerent and violent. This is; not the Kobarians way. Theirs is a path of economic conflict, "market forces" set to destroy your enemies, rather than force of arms. I do not understand how this works in detail, especially not on a galactic scale, but I do understand that it is a significant element of the meta-plot of their empire. The Kobarians, as with all races, are interested in expansion and claiming new territory, but they see this as the core-value of their civilization, yet, would also wish to do so in accordance with the maxims set-forth by Sun-Tzu, and, in a related note; have gained a great deal of inference about such matters from not the original book, but several recovered data-archives regarding the applications of his methods to business dealings.

We have explored far beyond our borders at this point, though, not as far as I would have liked. Our scientists continue to expand their skills, but at this point it seems prudent to mention that even-now, we are moving in accordance not with a pure exploration goal, but to path-find ways to cut-off access to increased spatial resources for our rivals. We have explored a fair-number of anomalies and strange occurrences, but the largest one that I feel needs mentioning is the discovery of the Dathnak in the atmosphere of the planet that they call Tollok Rong. They were trapped there by a burst of severe radiation caused by an attack by an unknown race over a milenia ago, and were in desperate straights. We have, with the aid of a number of science vessels and a series of temporary governmental appropriations of civilian volatile-cargo ships relocated them to a planet that they call "Balderak", supposedly in our honor. We fail to understand the connection between the two facts, but wish them well in their new home. Their new planet is also home to a strong sign of precursor relics, and we are interested in exploring that possibility., but, at the present time, do not have the capacity to look-into such things due to having no scientists that are qualified for the job.

With that out of the way, it once-again is time to discuss the election that has re-affirmed the right of President Prima Vatinius to rule over the Kobarians for the next 20 years. As always, I have refrained from direct interference in these matters, but I, never the less, continue to be pleased with the decision of the majority of citizens. It should be mentioned that while a small number of elite families have undue influence on the electoral results due to the high number of shares they controll, every citizen recives one share per year as part of the contractual arrangements that made the Kobarian Bonded Merchants Company the Official government of the empire, rather then the 'de Facto' government. The results of this election were far-closer than the preceding race, with all four possible candidates emerging as serious contenders, but in-the-end, Prima Vatinius won by enough of a margin to claim the "Mercantile Mandate" of the empire for herself, though it was a narrow business. I highly suspect that if she doesn't appease internal factions, she will not retain her seat as Company President next time. With that matter out of the way, let us begin the third chapter of the empire's interstellar history.

Last edited:
The Kobarians are keeping two religious empires apart. That's a bad position to be in.

Let them fight - they'll exhaust each other.