• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why does Scots and Englishmen hate each others? Cultural differences? Religion? The fact one is dominating the other? No, Sausages!

• 2Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Roses are red,
The mayor's a warlock;
We burned him til dead,
Thus mitigating perfidious ontological discourse regarding sociocritical pontifications on ramifications of procreation out of wedlock.

As we can see the poets are hard at work developing what will eventually become the staple of Slovakian verbal arts, assuming the Slovaks ever manage to invent and manufacture a staple.
I thought of trying one of these but knew I wouldn’t have the chops for it. Bravo!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wait, what? I need to lie down...
I'll admit I did move terrifyingly quickly and started this a mere several years after coming up with the idea. But sometimes one must move hastily and this was one of those occasions. I am pleased to see you have recovered enough to update your signature, so hopefully the strain to your system was not too severe.

Why does Scots and Englishmen hate each others? Cultural differences? Religion? The fact one is dominating the other? No, Sausages!
This is certainly the theory the weavers are working from.
DYAEiOu.gif

Good to see Halifax employs an efficient and diligent Witchsmeller. Of course, like traffic fines, they don’t need to be be accurate to be efficient - just so long as quotas are filled and examples made. Losing a member of the petty gentry, no matter how competent (or indeed innocent), hardly matters when balanced against such compelling arguments.
Well Halifax has a Witchsmeller, I am not sure he employs one or even wants one but he has little choice in the matter. As to their efficiency and diligence... well more on that in later weavings.

And with that, onto Poetry Corner;
The flames are red,
And the Mayor is blue,
He must be a warlock,
Even if it’s not true.
The classic form put to good use, the poet playing with the nature of truth, perception and reality. Flames are of course not red yet the poet presents them as such, highlighting the value of what they represent over the mundanity of what they merely are, similarly the Mayor is given a colour to stand for so much more. Yet in this conjured world of semiotics and abstracted representation what is to be relied upon. The poet is perhaps asking is what we call reality nothing more than a shared delusion, and if so can anyone ever be innocent, or indeed guilty of being a warlock?

Roses are red
Eorcenberht’s ash
Halifax’s verse
Will rake in the cash

Huzzah!
A subtle variation and one which plays on the ambiguity of ash, is it a colour or a substance? It is in fact neither, the use of 'rake' being a clue to think more agriculturally and thus the reference is obvious. This is invoking the tree named Ash, it's roots digging deep into the metaphorical soil of the story to bring forth an aspect that other poets chose not to linger on, the publication of the verses, the paper of the books being another link back to the tree. Thus the poet exposes the contradiction between using the bounty of the natural world to fund a building dedicated to the being that is supposed to have created the bounty that has just been destroyed. A poem of staggering depth.

To the battle
Rides the brave;
Tales not told
Hides in the grave.
A deeply philosophical work here. We see the poet set up a Nietzschean superman, the 'brave' who is beyond truth and is above gossip, riding into battle against nihilism. Will this brave lose himself in the attempt, to hide in the grave as the poet describes it, or will they transcend the crisis and emerge from the moment of self-reflection and emerge as the Overman? The poet leaves this hanging and this is doubtless deliberate, just as the story is incomplete the poet is indicating that Nietzsche's philosophy is also incomplete, that the great sage Jeeves was correct to say Nietzche was 'fundamentally unsound'. Whether one agrees or not there is much here for the philosophically inclined to meditate over.

Burning Doncaster
The sky alight like blossom
On an autumn tree
A classic Haiku, bringing with it the wisdom of the East. And what wisdom it is! Just as the cherry blossom is deeply symbolic of the transient nature and fragility of life, and beauty, so this poem revels in the ephemeral nature of the mayor's life. Doncaster is presented as the Bhuddist ideal, retaining his equanimity even as he burns. Cherry blossom is of course a spring occurence, yet the author invokes the Autumn sky and here we see the subtle nature and depth of their imagery. The young Doncaster will never see his Autumn years, no old age for him just a life lived to the full and then cut short by flame, but there is no regret or a loss of equipoise. Not for him a raging against the light, but an acceptance that often it is better to burn out (literally in his case) than to fade away. A deep exploration on how a life should be led and one that bears re-reading.

Roses are red,
The mayor's a warlock;
We burned him til dead,
Thus mitigating perfidious ontological discourse regarding sociocritical pontifications on ramifications of procreation out of wedlock.

As we can see the poets are hard at work developing what will eventually become the staple of Slovakian verbal arts, assuming the Slovaks ever manage to invent and manufacture a staple.
This Critical Socially Realistic poem of course requires no explanation! Even the simplest sociological lens is surely able to determine the stratified ontology being sublated here, the poet crashing straight through the transitive events into the heart of the empirical domain, there to reveal his devastating intransitive reality. A daring variation from the traditional Limerick, this itself is doubtless a comment on the under-developed truths available to the characters in the tale, the limitations of medieval philosophy forever stopping them from understanding even the basics of emergent causal power in transient norm circles.

Naturally I decline to do anything so coarse or gauche as rank these poets, they are all wonderful in their own way.

• 2Like
  • 2Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Cherry blossom is of course a spring occurence, yet the author invokes the Autumn sky
It might be argued I was thinking of autumn leaves rather than blossom but 'leaves' wouldn't fit with the necessary syllables to make a haiku, but that would be wrong. It could also be argued I could have said 'red leaves' and that this didn't occur to me, but that would also be wrong. All that stuff you said is correct. :p

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I doth must say
I not knewent the day
When El Pip moved so fast
I that mine brain was aghast

And yes, I know I am bad at poetry.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I'll be honest, of all the prompts thrown out in Le Jones AARs, I never thought this would be the first to be made, and by such an author.

The circle is now complete, with a HOI comedy aar from a CK writer, and a CK comedy aar from a HOI alt historian.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Damn. This is brilliant. I have now read all of this hilarity, and I must say, Halifax is a THE man of the hour, impressive for such a coward.

Reactions:
Damn. This is brilliant. I have now read all of this hilarity, and I must say, Halifax is a THE man of the hour, impressive for such a coward.
As was foretold, something tells me we’re in for something good.

(The fact that this aired mere months before the global financial meltdown is, of course, entirely incidental…)

• 2Haha
Reactions:
They always said that pigs would fly before Vicky 3 would be announced.

I guess El Pip doing a CK2 AAR counts too...

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
@El Pip , you have been anointed as a true fan - the fanniest fan of the week... wait, that didn't come out quite right...

Anyway, take a bow - after observing a carefully calibrated distance from the... Oh, my. Well.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Sadly I have no poetry to offer. I lack the ability to write them. I do have money though. If the Norman Bastard has taught me anything, it is this:
What you lack a very large bag of gold will make up for. :D

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
It's been too long and once again something I started as a quick project has proved anything but. However let us put such issues behind us and see if we can't get this thing finished by Christmas. I see the weavers have finished their latest work, a shorter section this time but perhaps it is best to ease back into things.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Chapter V
yXneG8n.jpg

k862F5L.jpg

U0pXtNr.jpg

• 10Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
Victory in the Sausage War we must celebrate heart’ly
(Though my favoured are those made by Clan McCartney)

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Apocalypse Then! Deep fried black pudding (or some such)? The horror. The horror.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hooray! We won the sausage war. Let's hope no one ever uses English or British sausages as an excuse again...

• 1Haha
Reactions: