• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This may possibly be the cleverest weaving so far in terms of landing the punch line, or whatever such things are called when they are woven instead of written.
I am quite proud of it. Though in classic Pip fashion I've probably peaked and will struggle to match such heights again as roll towards the end.

May Lord Halifax be met with success in all his future endeavors and child-raising!
This is very much his problem, he keeps surviving all these wars and being on the winning side, so more and more people think he actually is a hero and war leader.

‘Thus did Lady Margaret become with child.’ Things were far simpler in those days…
Indeed they were. :)

"Keep the throne warm" is a wonderfully succinct expression of CK's conception of rulership.
I am glad that got noticed.

Also, it seems I let this one slip some time in August and never caught up. Glad to say I'm now caught up once again, having surmounted the heavy two-tapestry backlog. God bless those meticulous weavers!
Despite my best intentions I have lapsed back into my usual majestic pace, which does at least make catching up easier. Despite that there is still a chance of seeing the final stitch before Christmas.

Though popular, waging an excommunication war costs much for little gain. Rather than visiting an Evil Pope, perhaps ex-King Malcolm should join an Holy Order like the Teutonic Knights or the Knights Templar. Thank you for the update
Thank you for reading it. I had thought we were too early for a military order, but no the Knights of St Peter were founded in 1053 by Pope Leo IX so that is an option. But not one Malcolm will take, he has other plans.

Reactions:
Chapter IX
NV2u294.jpg

v7F2MkM.jpg

q6cyUK8.jpg

skYjPP8.jpg

4Tqm9KN.jpg

ehn1R3K.jpg

noNie7F.jpg

6UJN7Eh.jpg

• 6Haha
  • 5Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I must complain even more stridently about the rate of posting, you have now updated three AARs in the span of just over a week, eight days to be exact. This is utterly reckless behavio(u)r and nothing good can come of it, aside from I suppose the AAR updates themselves which I concede are no small consideration, but still it is the principle of the matter for without principles we have no civilization to speak of.

This being said, highlights include:
  • Lady Halifax and her considerable catching experience
  • Not all tha bairns, no
  • A phlegm-rich land, granted I am not sure why anyone would wage a war over such a land but it was indeed done
  • An abrupt ending once the little-mentioned minster is constructed, quite fitting in its own way and certainly done for artistic reasons and not to meet an arbitrary deadline.
I must admit ignorance of CK2 mechanics and thus I am unsure if the building of a minster does actually have an odd supernatural power to end a war in CK2, or if this is a narrative contrivance played for comic effect. Should my ignorance be vital for preserving the mystery of the story I shall not care at all and will appreciate any clarification from a more experienced player and/or the authAAR all the same.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Very I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue ending there.

Reactions:
Finishing the first step of a cathedral doesn't do anyrjing aside from remove the income penalty costs. Halifax has some ways to go before he has a proper minster though. Probably another century of work.

Reactions:
A very abrupt ending to this year-long project. But perhaps the narrator was just tired from all of the weaving.

"There was a pause most awkward. 'Not all my bairns, no'". This got a laugh out of me.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A magnificent tale!
Very kind of you, glad it has been appreciated.
I must complain even more stridently about the rate of posting, you have now updated three AARs in the span of just over a week, eight days to be exact. This is utterly reckless behavio(u)r and nothing good can come of it, aside from I suppose the AAR updates themselves which I concede are no small consideration, but still it is the principle of the matter for without principles we have no civilization to speak of.
Well only two were on this forum, so I would argue one of them doesn't count towards the total.
This being said, highlights include:
  • Lady Halifax and her considerable catching experience
  • Not all tha bairns, no
  • A phlegm-rich land, granted I am not sure why anyone would wage a war over such a land but it was indeed done
  • An abrupt ending once the little-mentioned minster is constructed, quite fitting in its own way and certainly done for artistic reasons and not to meet an arbitrary deadline.
Absolutely done for artistic reasons, the tale was of the building of Halifax Minster so once it was completed what more was there to say? And if there was anything it would belong in a sequel.

That said, it was promised this would be over by Christmas and it is. If I had broken my word that would make me as bad as Kaiser Wilhelm II, and some fates are too horrible to contemplate.
I must admit ignorance of CK2 mechanics and thus I am unsure if the building of a minster does actually have an odd supernatural power to end a war in CK2, or if this is a narrative contrivance played for comic effect. Should my ignorance be vital for preserving the mystery of the story I shall not care at all and will appreciate any clarification from a more experienced player and/or the authAAR all the same.
Well the two events happened at the same time so it was at least coincidental. And with the weirdness that CK2+DLCs generate I would not rule it out being an undisclosed game mechanic.
Very I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue ending there.
As is traditional for an El Pip AAR.
DYAEiOu.gif

Finishing the first step of a cathedral doesn't do anyrjing aside from remove the income penalty costs. Halifax has some ways to go before he has a proper minster though. Probably another century of work.
It is probably a Lesser Minister at this point, the exact definition is vague and somewhat in flux in the 11th Century (according to wikipedia anyway). But it got to the point in game where I lacked the technology to improve it further, so I called it done for AAR purposes.
A very abrupt ending to this year-long project. But perhaps the narrator was just tired from all of the weaving.
The weavers have all worked their socks off. Fortunately as weavers they can easily make new ones.
"There was a pause most awkward. 'Not all my bairns, no'". This got a laugh out of me.
I was quite proud of that one and Malcolm is probably one of my favourite characters in this.

• 3Like
Reactions:
“In Halifax, the Earl was in Contemplation.” Which was it? Isn’t Contemplacion in southern France? :p

Yes, Minster! “The End”. Well, there we go. By the Rood, congrats on finishing yon tale in such unseemly haste. Thus were the Minster and the AAR completed.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Well only two were on this forum, so I would argue one of them doesn't count towards the total.
"Not all ma bairns, no."

• 5Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
It is probably a Lesser Minister at this point, the exact definition is vague and somewhat in flux in the 11th Century (according to wikipedia anyway). But it got to the point in game where I lacked the technology to improve it further, so I called it done for AAR purposes.
The game is specific in calling it a cathedral project, which means a cathedra is already attached and (presumably) a Bishop also. Why Halifax is building and paying for the project when the local Church alone probably earns and knows more than he does, is a little unclear. Paying or funding a monastery was not uncommon for a ruler (which is why I'm unsure why that isn't the option rather than the cathedral) but an actual cathedral is more like a royal or imperial project usually (if only because it takes decades at best to build. York Minster took 400 years).

This all being said, I suspect you are right and this actually is a Minster that no one actually wanted but Halifax decided to build anyway (which is why he is in charge of everything). Its impressive he did it all in 25 years, to be honest. At some point, either it'll burn down or someone will actually care enough to finish the damn thing properly.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This was hilarious. And poor earl, getting naught but fame for his efforts.

• 4Like
Reactions:
“In Halifax, the Earl was in Contemplation.” Which was it? Isn’t Contemplacion in southern France? :p
He was actually following the tenets of the Amitayurdhyana Sutra, which alas do not translate well into weavings.

Yes, Minster! “The End”. Well, there we go. By the Rood, congrats on finishing yon tale in such unseemly haste. Thus were the Minster and the AAR completed.
It was nine chapters in 11 months, it says a great deal for my reputation that this is considered unseemly haste. :D ;)

The game is specific in calling it a cathedral project, which means a cathedra is already attached and (presumably) a Bishop also. Why Halifax is building and paying for the project when the local Church alone probably earns and knows more than he does, is a little unclear. Paying or funding a monastery was not uncommon for a ruler (which is why I'm unsure why that isn't the option rather than the cathedral) but an actual cathedral is more like a royal or imperial project usually (if only because it takes decades at best to build. York Minster took 400 years).

This all being said, I suspect you are right and this actually is a Minster that no one actually wanted but Halifax decided to build anyway (which is why he is in charge of everything). Its impressive he did it all in 25 years, to be honest. At some point, either it'll burn down or someone will actually care enough to finish the damn thing properly.
I am reduced to wikipedia, but Minster was also used as an honorific applied to a particular church, it could even be a parish church if it was significant. A church with a shrine containing the Papal Banner and dedicated to the King and his victory over invaders sounds quite significant. Sure it's not a cathedral or anything close, but it is not supposed to be one.

As always I put very little weight on what the game says. I mean it claims the slot is the Bishopric of Sherburn even when it has only a basic church there, a claim which is wrong in every single particular.

Thank you for updating and finishing in time for Christmas Eve services in the new cathedral. Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year
Thank you for that, hope you had the same.

This was hilarious. And poor earl, getting naught but fame for his efforts.
Just the reaction I was hoping for. :D Halifax is still in his mid-30s when the Minster is finished, so he still has time to use his fame to achieve things. I mean he probably won't, but he could.

• 2Like
Reactions:
It's that time of year once again. Yes it is time to vote in the Yearly AARland awards and voting closes on the 1st of March, so this is almost your last chance. I wouldn't be so crass as to suggest that you vote for this work in the many categories for which it is eligible, not least Graphics/AARtist of the Year, but I will say that all the cool Dukes around King Harold absolutely would do that. Of course if you chose to act like the Foul Hardrada and vote otherwise, or worse fail to vote, then of course you are free to make your own mistakes.

• 4Haha
Reactions:
Genuinely baffled as to how I neglected to comment on the ending of this magnificent work earlier. (A good look for someone who a mere four months ago boasted themselves to be “all caught up”!) Nevertheless, I would like to mark the occasion properly – which of course means: with one last poem.

Roses are red,
The Minster is finished,
Lord Halifax’s obscurity
remains undiminished

The tapestry is done,
The weavers a-bed,
Without doubt our Lord H
is wrong in the head

Wales falls in stages,
King Malcolm rampages,
And The King’s First Minster
was one for the ages