• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thought it best to answer comments now:

Trekaddict: :) - hopefully we'll be spared the horrors of some of the spy scandals after Hankey's actions whilst Home Secretary.

Atlantic Friend: But who could do that? Butler seems uninspiring, Cadogan has his hands full dealing with Halifax and as soon as the Med is mentioned Whitehall gets the jitters about Italy. I agree that decisive diplomacy is required, but I doubt that Whitehall has recovered to such an extent that confident action is required.

Sir Humphrey: I like that analogy, and it is true that Halifax's aura of gentlemanly honour is unanimous in the UK.

Faaelin: The Dutch are clinging on, still technically at war with Germany but to be honest a forgotten enclave of resistance.

Morsky: Wait and see ;)

Kurt_Steiner: A lovely thought, alas no...

Enewald::)

Nathan Madien: Neville is dead, as in the real 1940. His funeral will be covered in the next update...

I still mourn my favourite film in this timeline....

Let's hope Ron Goodwin finds some other employment for the fabulous tune.

Concerning the spy scandals, I think that wether or not they are avoided depends more on the housecleaning the service is doing at the moment.

Chapter 102, Westminster Abbey, 18 November 1940

NewPicture7-8.png

The great men and women of the nation gathered sombrely in the great Abbey. The King and Queen, suitably dressed for mourning, marched sombrely into the wonderful building only yards away from the great debating hall where Chamberlain had launched, and defended, his controversial policies. For Halifax, dressed simply and smartly in frock-coat and top-hat, the death of Chamberlain had come at a difficult time. As the dust settled he had hoped to rebuild his friendship with a man he had worked tirelessly for. The mere fact that he was Prime Minister at all was down to Chamberlain, though here Halifax realised that he was far more preferable to a Churchill ministry. The service would be a relatively simple one, if bleak. For the thousandth time Halifax felt the isolation that came with losing the other “guilty man of Munich”. Churchill, ponderously grandiloquent in the Commons, had lamented his sincerity, had congratulated him for taking to war a Britain united in her guiltlessness in the “bloodshed and misery”. He had highlighted that Chamberlain was “disappointed in his hopes, deceived and cheated by a wicked man”. Halifax realised that he alone was now the focus of attention as Britons thought back over the recent years of war and chaos. Inopportunely and loudly, his stomach gurgled.

NewPicture8-6.png

Next to Halifax the King stiffened as the congregation began to sing “Abide with me.” Halifax closed his eyes at just how apt the hymn was to this, Chamberlain’s final public event. Reopening his eyes, Prime Minister and Sovereign led the mourning:

“Abide with me, fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide.
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me.”

They sang on. Behind him, Halifax could just, out of the corner of his eye, make out Leo Amery scowling at him.

“I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;
Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness.
Where is death’s sting? Where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if Thou abide with me.”

As the readings wore on and as he increasingly felt the chilliness, Halifax thought back to the obituaries and comments that had been written since Chamberlain’s death a week ago. The old arguments, bottled up after Beaverbrook’s bribe of the Canada appointment, had suddenly flowed again as recrimination for the years of uncertainty and humiliation had resurfaced. Most of them , even the papers illicitly ‘loyal’ to the Government through Beaverbrook had reported on Chamberlain as “a controversial figure”. The Prime Minister was worried that he would be next. Chamberlain, who had no coffin (he had been cremated last week) to bury, only a simpe urn to be interred, and for Halifax there was something very sterile in that.

NewPicture9-6.png

As the congregation filed out of the Abbey Halifax conspicuously avoided Kennedy, the outgoing American ambassador, as well as Butler and Channon, both of whom, Halifax had been aware, had until recently given toasts to “The King over the water”, showing their allegiance to Chamberlain and not Halifax (who was, to many appeasers, a second-best, alternative PM), but instead sought out Winston Churchill. With the eyes of the world upon him Churchill managed to assume a dignified stance as his political enemy approached.

“Prime Minister, I thought that your reading was particularly good.”

“I am obliged, Winston. According to my PPS your tribute to Neville in the Lower House was wonderful.”

“It was hardly favourable to Neville’s, or for that matter your, foreign policy.”

“Which is where, Winston, you might be able to make a difference.”

Churchill looked at Halifax to see if he was jesting. The impassioned look and desperate eyes suggested that he was not. He shrugged, not wanting to commit himself to Halifax and his feeble policies.

Halifax sensed this and went on anyway. “Come back into the fold, Winston. Now that the Amewican elections are over I could use your eloquence with Woosevelt. Go over there as my envoy, convince them that we must engage with the Japanese.”

“What about Europe?”

Halifax raised his good hand heavenward in a pleading gesture. “Even you,” he said bluntly, “must appweciate that the war is over. We have to look at how we coexist with Euwope.”

Churchill smouldered at Halifax’s prattle. “What,” he said bluntly, “do you want?”

“You to lead a diplomatic mission to Woosevelt. I am incweasingly concerned that we should work together to deal with the Japanese.”

They were interrupted by the arrival of the King. Both First Minister and former First Lord bowed deeply. Both went to speak, Churchill got there first.

“Your Majesty, may I compliment you on your letter to the Commons.”

The King, looking heartily fed-up of the entire event, inclined his head in acknowledgement. “V-very kind of you, Winston. I understand your testimony to Neville in the House was well-received.”

“Your Majesty is too kind.” Both men were wary, Halifax realised. The King had never truly forgiven Churchill for the “King’s Party” escapades during the Abdication crisis and now glared suspiciously at him.

“P-perhaps, W-winston, you will remember the hard work by the advocates of peace when you next make a speech to Parliament. Be careful, Winston, not to appear averse to loyalty.”

It was as much of a warning that the King was able to give, but Churchill took it and with a deliberately deep bow wandered off to find Brendan Bracken. Halifax, suppressing a smile at this display of regal displeasure, realised that his duty was to assist the King.

“Your Majesty intends to return to Buckingham Palace?”

“W-what? Oh, oh yes, I do. I’d better rescue the Queen actually. Stanley is pestering her about some frightful matter of trade. I do hope, Edward, that you are able to call upon us at Sandringham.”

“When is Your Majesty thinking of going down to the countwy?”

“Another week I think. After the hiatus of the summer I want a few weeks with the girls. Our little four, all together and all that. You understand that I have not seen much of them, w-what with the election, and the visits and now this.”

Halifax smiled at his friend. “Sir, I understand perfectly. Your Majesty’s attention to duty is ever impwessive.”

The King, returning the smile, went to find his wife. Halifax was left alone, not far from the entrance to the Abbey, looking at the great Palace of Westminster before him. It was turning cold as he waited for Lady Halifax to finish chatting with the Bishop of London. Halifax feared it would be another cold winter, and dreaded being detained by matters of state. Sighing, he continued to wait.

[Game Effect] - And so Neville finally dies! I’ve played with the funeral a little bit, and I have absolutely no idea what hymns were sung for dear old Neville (or his ashes, as he was cremated in Golder’s Green). The real danger for Halifax is that he has lost a far more controversial figure, who could have been a useful decoy in deterring any criticisim of his role at Munich. Now, the arch-appeaser gone, his erstwhile deputy, Halifax, is the main figure of controversy.

Trekaddict:
True, but I'm sure there will be some war to provide material for the British film industry in years to come!

How apt. Using OTL PM Churchill's favourite tool of getting rid of people he dislikes by dumping them off in America! Theres a couple of great pictures of Churchil shunting off Halifax to America in Hutchinson's Pictorial History of the War. :)

Oh dear...

But anyway, I was sort of expecting something like this. Sending Winston off to America might come back and bit Halifax in the arse though, because it will give Churchill the time to prepare his next move. Without Lend-Lease and a war going on, this should be a relatively quiet posting.

I think that Abide With Me suits perfectly to the occassion.

The last image of Halifax, alone and waiting, is quite moving. An advance from future developments?

Atlantic Friend: But who could do that? Butler seems uninspiring, Cadogan has his hands full dealing with Halifax and as soon as the Med is mentioned Whitehall gets the jitters about Italy. I agree that decisive diplomacy is required, but I doubt that Whitehall has recovered to such an extent that confident action is required.

Maybe some lower echelons at Whitehall will go a little rogue ? When the big brass is looking away, sometimes the subordinates feel they can have a little fun...

RIP, Neville Chamberlain. There's some solace in knowing this most honourable statesman could finally leave this vile era behind him.

De mortuis nihil nisi bene. Also, shrewd move by Halifax to try and fob Winston off on the Yanks, though it might come back to bite him in the arse if there's a war with Japan. Winnie might get all the credit for getting Roosevelt's support - largely because he'd deserve it. :)

Now, what are ze Tchermanz up to? :p

Chapter 103, Warsaw, 23 November 1940

The girl moved quickly and carefully through the streets, dodging fellow pedestrians and, after nearly crashing into a beggar, jumped into a side street to avoid any would-be pursuers. She was fairly confident that her anonymity remained; why else could it have been so easy? Pausing for a few seconds to catch her breath, she continued along the riverbank, through the gorgeous park and up the steps until she came to an old brick wall. With climbing plants and moss covering its crumbling surface it reminded her of a childhood book about the early explorers in South America. Smiling at that thought, she stooped down and dug a little with her hands in the place the priest had told her he would place the key. Finally finding it, she unlocked the creaking wooden door and entered the gardens of the church. Nervously, she walked across the square, saw a door into the church and walked over.

NewPicture10-7.png

“Anna!” The priest, a gaunt, elderly man, hobbled slowly. Taking her hand in his he raised an eyebrow. “You were successful?”

Extricating a hand the girl fumbled inside her blouse. Finally she produced three envelopes, which she gave to the priest with some relief. As he ripped them open, skimming through them and smiling at the girl’s achievement, the girl spoke quietly. “I’m afraid that’s all I could get.”

For the first time the priest noted the embarrassment on the girl’s face. “Do I want to know what you had to do to get this?” She shook her head. “I absolve you of any sin. Let’s go inside.”

The two walked along a dingy cloister and into a small office. The priest looked at her. “Do they know about this?”

“Not a chance! That pig of an officer, the man I, er…”

“Befriended,” the Priest said quickly, hoping to avoid a revelation too explicit.

“Yes,” she said quickly, continuing with her story. “The office was disgusting! He doesn’t know where anything is!”

The priest, again wanting to avoid the tale of how she knew about the office, nodded quickly in agreement. “You have done very, very well. And now the world will know what they’re up to.”

“Who will you send this to?”

The priest rolled his eyes. He was desperate to protect the girl from being drawn even deeper into this web of intrigue. But, he allowed, she had already stolen a set of plans from a German senior officer, and she deserved to know who she was ultimately working for.

“The British. They will know what to do with these plans.” He turned to the girl, smiling, “they’ll be delighted with you. Perhaps an elegant Englishman will sweep you off your feet! Our Anna, an English Lady?”

“No, Father. I have to stay with my family.”

“How is your father?”

She laughed. “Growing rich of the Germans. Because of our family name they think that we are good loyal Prussians, helping them to administer their new empire. My father is very important to them.”

The priest raised an eyebrow at the girl’s sarcastic tone. “He’s only doing what he thinks necessary. He’s trying to look after his family. If he knew what his eldest daughter was doing…” the priest shrugged.

“Father is happy in Sopot. I suppose I should go home. Now that…”

“Now that you have done your duty. You are a good patriot, Anna, and an excellent spy. Now go, before the gossips tell half of the city that I entertain young ladies!” He made a shooing gesture with his hands. When the girl had left the priest went to work. Taking out his carefully prepared method of delivery he worked late into the night. Finally, the priest handed a heavy parcel to one of the more reliable members of his flock who was only too happy to carry out the errand. And so, later that morning, a Mrs Jurek dispatched a heavy parcel containing ‘religious artifacts’ to a “Mr Lionel Cavendish, c/o The British Embassy in Germany, Berlin”.

Cavendish! No-one is called Cavendish outside of bloody cheap novels, Oront cursed as he ripped open the package two days later. After a carefully written letter “to thank Mr Cavendish for his enquiry” the priest had delighted in sending the Englishman a replica of an icon to St Olga. Oront scrutinized the icon for signs of tampering. The priest, he concluded, was good. There were no signs that the frame was anything but genuine. The false backs and edging that he had seen in other efforts were not used here. Oront guessed that the plans were somehow inside the icon. Picking it up he threw it to the floor. Again, amidst shards of wood there was nothing untoward. It was only when Oront looked at the now forlorn image of the saint that he realised that it was hollow. Slamming it on the corner of the desk he prized the two pieces apart, and finally, out spilled the sheets of paper. Beaming, Oront tidied up the remnants of the icon and busied himself with interpreting the plans. But it was instantly fairly clear; they were extending their runways in Poland, building new airbases and throwing considerable effort into the task. Noting it all as he scribbled his report, Oront smiled in satisfaction. And so there were, at the very least, serious questions raised about the much declared German-Soviet good relations. The priest had done well, and Oront now had to let London know. But it was late, ridiculously late, and so Oront lighted a cigarette, eased himself into the comfortable chair, and decided to treat himself to dinner on the ‘company’s’ account.

[Game Effect] – I’ve been quite quiet on the intelligence front, largely because I think that British Intelligence would have taken time to adjust to the Milan-inspired changes, and because whom to target would be a very uncertain matter. This story follows on from Eden and Hankey smelling a rat over the proposed German purchase of British construction materials. Halifax has an obvious disdain for his spy agencies, not improved by the earlier scandals involving the compromising of the British establishment by German and Soviet sympathisers. But here, barely trusted though they are, the intelligence networks deliver. The Germans are massively expanding the Luftwaffe’s presence in Eastern Europe. Oh dear...

Sir Humphrey: There is something Ironic, but Halifax didn’t explicity offer Churchill the Washington Embassy. I think that at this stage Halifax is testing Churchill’s opposition to him and his government – after all, despite railing against Chamberlain Churchill eagerly accepted the invitation to return to the Cabinet as First Lord in 1939, so perhaps Halifax’s logic has a basis.

Trekaddict: Indeed, and apart from the need to engage with the Americans over a still vague threat in the Pacific, it should be fairly gentle. But will Winston accept any official offer from Halifax?

Kurt_Steiner: There is no doubt that Halifax now stands out on his own, a fairly lonely character watching Whitehall bicker around him. I think he that he would realise this, and will take steps to bolster his own personal standing.

Atlantic Friend: This is a distinct possibility, all they need is a direct opening.

Enewald: Oh God yes, though Halifax was the one to end the war.

Morsky: Again, the notion of Winston going to Washington, either as HE the Ambassador (though Lothian isn’t dead yet) or as a Prime Ministerial envoy depends on Halifax officially asking him (rather than sounding him out) and Winnie accepting. If he does go, events as ever will dicate what happens next...

Late 1940? It can't be so soon, can it? Barbarrosa, I mean...

Hmm. With Germany unoccupied in the West, Africa and the Balkans and aided by the French, whatever that's worth, I could go for a Barbarossa in may 41.

I have been wondering when the "Churchill goes to America" idea would spring up.

Preparations gotta start somewhere.

Chapter 104, Bani, Central Africa, 28 November 1940

NewPicture11-6.png

The small column wound its way through the scrubland. In a random collection of surplus South African and Rhodesian military vehicles (common enough in this part of Africa) and a couple of trucks ‘borrowed’ from the French Army they snaked along the road. In the lead car the map reader pointed out that they had just crossed the border and had passed from rebel territory into land held by forces loyal to Paris. It was very late; the driver, a heavy set man who had ‘volunteered’ for this mission from the King’s African Rifles and who handled the truck expertly looked at the man sitting next to him. The truck slowed down as it approached the fork in the road. In the darkness they could see a beam of light in the distance; a car or truck making its way along the hilltop road.

“Wait,” the figure next to the driver, the mission commander, muttered quietly. “Give it a few minutes and then we’ll proceed to the RV point.”

NewPicture12-5.png

The driver nodded. The beam swept eastward and was gone. The trucks started up again and made their way to the prepared point, a small clearing in this scrubby area, shielded by a sharp rise and ideal for their mission planning. Slowly, the figures began to jump out of their trucks and, after checking their weapons one final time listened to their second in command.

“Right lads. We walk from here. Use the cover of the land and walk along the riverbed. It’s at waist height and the current isn’t strong. Let’s go. Good hunting.”

The group, a mixed collection of British and French soldiers, crept quietly into the river, wide, shallow and murky. It was bitterly cold. The soldiers, dirty and unkempt, waded upstream, where an enemy slept. None of them spoke; complete silence would be maintained throughout the initial phase. There was no moon and only occasional, wispy cloud cover. Far from any urban light pollution, the stars were brilliant, vivid. The 2IC, Lt Mayne, looked back to Commandant (or Chef de Batallion, for Mayne could never work out exactly what he was) Brune, a seasoned officer who knew the target well. He offered a curt nod to Mayne, looking every inch the grizzled war leader. For this mission Captain Calvert, on an arms smuggling operation in the South, had agreed to the Frenchman and some of his men merging with his squad; it was entirely the sort of raid that General Neame had envisaged.

After about half an hour’s stumbling along the river Mayne noticed that the riverbank rose markedly on the northern side. A weather-beaten and dead tree marked the pinnacle of the slope, and beyond, he could just make out a neglected fence. We’re here, a little early but we’re here, Mayne thought. He looked down at his wristwatch, squinting to catch sight of the time. It was, he concluded, a little before two in the morning. Now comes the difficult bit, he thought to himself. Getting into the bloody place. In the distance, far behind them, Mayne could just about make out the scrubland, where the drivers had strict orders not to compromise themselves by waiting, should they hear nothing from the raiding party. So, Paddy, this could be a one-way mission. Brune, moving with patience and precision to avoid stumbling or making too much noise, came to the front of the column and, without speaking, tapped two figures on the shoulder. The two men, Frenchman who had preferred rebellion over the new fascist government, crept up the riverbank and crouched low, peering over the crest of the bank to find their target. Jesus Christ, lads, but don’t rush this, Mayne thought worriedly. The men suddenly ducked low, as if surprised. Mayne wordlessly readied his pistol, prepared to meet whatever the Frenchmen had tried to avoid.

The sentry was, like every clichéd sentry, tired, cold and probably miserable. Brune had been convinced that the guards were second-line troops; poorly trained, coddled, and lax. Indeed the poor defences of the airbase, as well as Brune’s intimate knowledge of its layout, had been the inspiration for this daring, if unorthodox, plan. This young man, Moroccan possibly, but certainly not French, came to the tree that marked the limit of his patrol, propped his rifle on the dead tree and fumbled in his jacket to find a cigarette. He stopped when he saw the two drunken infantrymen wander towards him. Challenging the men in a hesitant, uncertain voice he was soon overpowered and silenced. The way was now open for the squad, twenty men in all, to slip into the airbase. Mayne knew that the sentry wouldn’t be missed for a while, perhaps an hour. By then, he knew, they would have announced their existence anyway, in dramatic fashion. Cutting the wire took minutes: there had been little love and care given to maintaining the defences of the base; probably, Mayne guessed, the French hadn’t worried about an airfield so close to British Africa. They crept in. Quickly reaching a hangar, the individual teams began to form and, in groups of four, they ran from building to building, looking for targets. It was then that the first stroke of bad luck occurred, and predictably, it happened to Mayne.

A fat, sweating, brutish looking French NCO was patrolling the airfield. Brune hadn’t mentioned that this would happen and Mayne suspected that something had alerted this Frenchman to something not being quite right. Mayne and his small team were tasked with destroying any aircraft that were on the field. A couple of worn-out Dewoitines and three JU 52s of the DAK were lined up on what Brune had called the “Northern Dispersal”. Lacking sophisticated explosives they had to make do with hand grenades. One of the team, carrying a bag heavy with the lethal equipment, now began to pass them around. That was when the NCO caught them. Looking at the men clustered around the aircraft he immediately realised what was going on and bellowed the alarm. Pulling out a pistol he fired three shots into the air and instinctively took cover behind the first JU 52. Unlucky sod, Mayne thought grimly.

The first blasts were echoing around the field now, as the team had found their targets and were liberally throwing grenades everywhere. The first hangar was now aflame and as the base groggily stirred itself the windows of a maintenance building shattered, throwing debris around the Southern part of the field. Another explosion wrecked the small control tower. Firing his pistol at the French NCO, Mayne nodded to the grenade carrier, who threw two of them toward the JU 52. Both exploded as expected, one detonating a fuel tank which turned the aircraft into a fireball. Gesturing to the others Mayne began to run across the airfield.

“Come on you silly bugger!” He was shouting at the grenade carrier, who was fumbling in his bag. Two sentries, alerted by the noise, were sprinting towards the burning aircraft on the Northern Dispersal. As the closest man kept on running, his comrade raised his rifle and with accuracy felled the grenade carrier with his third shot.

“Down!” Mayne shouted to the two remaining members of his team. Looking around he realised that he had absolutely no cover; they were lying, prone, on the runway itself. With the two sentries closing Mayne realised that he they had to fight.

“Geoff!” He shouted to one of his team. “Pot those bastards, will you?”

The man, one of the best shots in the squad, carefully checked his Lee Enfield and opened fire. The lead sentry was immediately felled, whilst the second turned and fled.

“Leave him, Geoff, we’ve got better things to do. C’mon, let’s find the others.”

The other raiders, on the south side of the field, were causing chaos. Brune and Mayne had agreed that no quarter could be given; they were so heavily outnumbered that they had to be brutal. As they ran around the airfield, gleefully revelling in the destruction, Brune was struggling to keep his men under control. They had been in the base for about forty minutes. In one accommodation block a handful of quick-thinking soldiers had secured the doors and were offering a wild if erratic fire from the thin windows, and Brune had angrily called his men back after losing one killed and having sent another, shot in the leg, on the unpleasant walk back to the trucks. Seeing Mayne and his squad sprinting to his position, he knew that now was the time, with the defenders recovering from the sudden violence offered this night, to effect an efficient escape.

“Paddy” in his accented English the instruction came out as ‘Pahdee’, “cover us as we go!”

Not wasting any time, the raiders began to run to the riverbank, Mayne and his reduced group screening their withdrawal. A final, deafening blast from one of the burning aircraft signalled the end of the skirmish, though Mayne thought he could hear the sounds of the base reorganising itself; officers were giving orders and squads of men were forming. But it was too late, and by now the attackers had vanished into the night.

“We did well!” Brune seemed happy, and perhaps eager for praise. Mayne looked back at the base, silhouetted in the glare of the burning wreckage.

“Two dead, one wounded,” he said simply.

“Pah, we won,” the Frenchman said defiantly, in reply to Mayne’s sombre attitude. As they reached the trucks, Mayne could see no signs of pursuit. Quietly, he climbed into the lead truck and, later, with the first hints of dawn, started to write a letter.

"Madam,

You will by now have heard of the tragic death of your son, Hector, in a training accident on Salisbury Plain over the weekend. I much regret that as Hector’s training officer I am forced by fate to write these words.”

To his mild amusement Mayne realised that his writing was so Irish, so whimsical. Sighing, he ploughed on.

"Hector’s friends within the company and battalion have lost a trusted comrade and a talented soldier. His dedication to his duty was well known to anyone fortunate to serve with him.

I am sorry, madam, that fate has not been more discriminating.

With every deepest Sympathy,

R B Mayne,
Captain, Royal Ulster Rifles,
Bulford Camp, 28 November 1940"

[Game Effect] – Look, I realised to my chagrin that I had not anything remotely exciting since the attack on Parliament. Would Neame really let a bunch of bored soldiers run amok through French Africa? Well, possibly, given the obvious disquiet about the rebellion in Whitehall. Basically not everyone in the British establishment is pro the Treaty!

I’ve tried to make this sudden raid realistic – a bit of ‘boy’s own’ adventuring but also trying to reflect the fact that this motley bunch are still learning – mistakes are made and not everyone lives to learn the lessons. In gaming terms I went a bid mad with the intelligence screen, trying to wreak havoc on the new French Government. Alas, to little success.

Kurt_Steiner: No, but the Germans can start preparing for it...

Trekaddict: I toyed with an early Barbarossa – but then the AI went and did its own thing anyway...

Enewald: :)

Nathan Madien: Yes, but it’s just an idea at the moment and Churchill, I think, would not say yes at this point.

Lord Stirling's spirit is still alive!

Chapter 105, War Office, 8 December 1940

“It is a unique document, this report,” Eden muttered at nobody in particular. Around him a smug looking Butler, a weary Cadogan and Dill, and another man, a balding, very smart, stiff figure who had a military air about him (he was, in fact, in a crisp Saville Row suit) who stood superciliously behind Butler. Clutching a bundle of papers close to his chest he smiled disdainfully as the politicians began to argue around him.

“The facts are here, Anthony. Somehow, a bunch of British Army personnel are aiding the French rebels. I know this, I’ve got one of my men there!”

Cadogan raised an eyebrow. “Your men, Foreign Secretary?”

Butler flapped a hand. “Well, one of Sir Stewart’s men. Thankfully one of our Secret Intelligence Service chaps was there to record it.”

Eden pulled out a handkerchief and with a deliberately indifferent air blew his nose. “Do we know for certain that these people who raided the French aerodrome were British?”

“The report of the French General was quite explicit, Sir. Some of the attackers were overheard shouting in English,” the supercilious figure, his face now an insincere mask of concern, smiled benignly at Eden.

The Secretary of State for War returned the smile; but Eden was well practised in the art of being charming and made a better job of it. “I merely question, Sir Stewart, whether we can trust what, in a court of law, would be a hearsay statement. Yes, they sounded English, but perhaps it was a ploy on the part of the attackers to confuse the defenders.”

“In which instance, Sir Stewart,” Cadogan said sharply, “it worked.”

Butler rolled his eyes. “I don’t know why you’re making such a fuss over this. We need to brief the Prime Minister immediately.”

“What about? A rebel attack rattled a few sleepy sentries and blew up a few aircraft. Are the French or Germans asking us for a denial?”

Butler stopped, and looked sheepishly at Cadogan, who shook his head. “Not at all. At the moment the Germans, who are the people who really matter, believe that any Commonwealth subjects involved in the fighting are mercenaries. We haven’t got any official military types over there, have we Sir John?”

Dill, for whom this entire discussion was irrelevant, shook his head. “No, Sir Alec. Nothing like this has been led by us.”

“That is good news, Sir,” the suited figure commented. “I’d view any heroics such as this as being amateurish. It does nothing to aid our mission of gathering intelligence.”

To Eden’s fascination Dill completely ignored this comment. “What do the Germans believe?”

Cadogan looked at his papers. “According to Monckton in Berlin the Germans don’t believe that we would officially aid the rebels. I think the view in Berlin is that we lack ‘bottom’.”

Eden smiled, this time genuinely. “You see, Rab? They’ve called it correctly.” Butler squirmed uncomfortably.

“I’d still like to brief His Lordship about it. I accepted your request to brief him on those Polish airfields.”

Eden sighed. “Very well, gentlemen, we will debate the African situation first, get it out of the way and then move on to the report on Eastern Europe.”

The five men set off for Downing Street. They arrived just after noon, and were greeted by Cole who led them to wait in the Drawing Room. They were kept waiting for five minutes, a rare occurrence. Butler, who prided himself on his ease of access to his master, was immediately worried. But their fears were allayed when Halifax entered, wiping at his mouth with a napkin.

“Pway forgive me, gentlemen. I have decided, within the twials of Westminster, to set aside my lunchtimes for Lady Halifax. We have just enjoyed a wonderful little lunch on the floor of the Study. Vewy pleasant. Pway, which bwiefing is this?” Halifax looked very relaxed. In place of the usual furrowed brow and pursed lips there was a contented smile and a jocular air.

“My Lord,” Butler began, as technically this was his briefing, before we come to the main matter I’d like you to see this. You remember Sir Stewart Menzies of the SIS?”

Halifax inclined his head in acknowledgment. The presence of his Secretaries of State for Foreign Affairs and War, as well as the Chief of the Imperial General Staff, the senior civil servant in the Foreign Office and the Head of the Secret Intelligence Service did not bode well for the Prime Minister; but nevertheless he remained cheerful. “Sir Stewart, what do wish to weport?”

“Prime Minister, if I can show you this. I’ve flagged the relevant pages of the report.”

“And the five of you are au fait with this?” All five nodded. Halifax, immediately guessing that the five had met first (to determine their position) flicked through the pages that Menzies proffered. After a couple of minutes he handed the sheets back to Menzies and pursed his lips.

“At present, My Lord,” Cadogan began, keen to prevent Butler and Eden resurrecting their argument, “the Germans are dubious that there is any official British input into this action. There is sufficient confusion regarding the rebels’ intent and composition to assume that any Commonwealth personnel involved are driven by pay or ideology, not official Whitehall sanction.”

It was a clever brief, neatly summing up the crux of the issue. Halifax saw that Butler and Menzies disagreed, but also saw that Eden and Dill agreed with Cadogan’s view. It therefore prevails upon me to issue the ruling. As usual I am called upon to umpire my squabbling subordinates. Halifax closed his eyes and sat quietly for a few seconds. Finally, he looked at them all in turn.

NewPicture13-5.png

“This weminds me of the stwife in Spain. I wecall then the thousands of young Britons flocking to one of the factions. I will not waste our pwestige on this,” he said softly.

“But, with respect My Lord, a denial from us would signal our goodwill.”

“No,” Cadogan snapped, daring to disagree so publicly with his minister. “We cannot make ourselves responsible for them.”

Halifax watched them bicker. “We will not make official policy. I will write to Walter Monckton and explain our position. He will act well in our intewest. Now, what is the other matter?”

Menzies handed Halifax another folder. Again, it was carefully flagged and prepared and Halifax, who admired careful staffwork, appreciated the efforts made to ease this complex issue. Flicking through the pages he placed the folder gently on the arm of the chair. “How confident is this assessment?”

“Completely, My Lord. The conclusion made by our agent is not the only source of our belief. What they are doing is clear. The reasons for it are open to,” he paused, trying to find the right word, “interpretation.”

“How many aerodromes?”

“Twelve that we have confirmed, but goodness knows how many more.”

“Existing aerodromes?”

“Yes, and new constructions. This is not merely a routine programme of maintenance. They are building new runways in Prussia and Eastern Poland.”

Halifax closed his eyes. He looked at Butler. “Reasons?”

Butler shrugged his shoulders. “The Soviets have asked them; the Germans have repeatedly said the same thing; routine maintenance and a few new training stations.” Cadogan and Menzies nodded; they had received the same explanation.

“Genewal Dill, what purpose would extending a wunway achieve?”

Dill’s calm, measured voice spoke softly. “It would allow, Prime Minister, larger airframes to be operated from the bases. At the moment, from what Major-General Menzies’ lad has discovered, some of the Polish airstrips were built for their airforce in the twenties and operated small interceptors. If these ‘enhancements’ are completed they will be able to operate their medium bombers.”

Halifax knew immediately what this could imply. A German bombing capability over the Soviet Union that would greatly aid Germany’s cause in a war between the two neighbours. Looking again at the captured plans, Halifax saw the airfields, spread along the German/Russian border and imagined the slaughter that a war between Nazism and Communism would bring. Halifax, who actually, through his good friend Monckton had a good knowledge of life inside Germany had heard nothing that suggested a clash was imminent. The British Embassy in Moscow had been similarly upbeat in its dispatches home, reporting on improving Anglo-Soviet relations in the wake of the recent trade deal and not mentioning anything about tensions with Berlin. Which means that the Bolsheviks may not know about this construction programme, though that is an unlikely happening.

“Do we tell the Soviettes?” This was the question that they were all dreading. Butler spoke first.

“Prime Minister, we cannot. Such a revelation would harm relations between the three countries.”

Eden snorted. “If the Russians find out about this, and then find out that we knew about this, then they will assume that we supported it. We have to tell them.”

Cadogan, visibly confused, looked unhappily at Menzies. “Would that compromise our sources?”

“It could, Sir Alec, as the Soviets may challenge the Germans. I doubt our contacts would survive a thorough investigation.”

Butler put his hands on hips and glared at Eden. Halifax and his family had recently viewed an American film, a western, one of the characters in which was an overweight sheriff. Halifax had fallen asleep halfway into the film but he remembered the way in which the sheriff had tried to intimidate the other characters. He saw that trait now in his Foreign Secretary.

“Admit it, Anthony, we’re as wary of the Russians as we are the Germans. Why should we help them?”

Eden languidly smiled at Butler. “Perhaps Sir Stewart could use other means to pass this information across.”

Halifax’s comment shot in before the others had a chance to even think of a reply. “Absolutely not. We have schemed and conspired our way awound these cwises. I will not have us embawwassed in both Germany and Wussia by our attempts to sneak awound the diplomatic etiquette that pwotects us all. Sir Stewart, this information has been excellently pwesented and I commend your work. We will continue to observe these pwojects in Eastern Europe. When we gain an insight into the weason for this programme we will put the matter formally before cabinet. Until then, gentlemen, I wish you a good afternoon.”

As the five men bowed and departed Halifax looked down at the papers spread out on his knees. A sudden pain began in his stomach. It was the usual twinge he felt when he was anxious. He had not felt it for some time, certainly not since the election, and felt deeply anxious. Something, and Halifax did not know what it was, made him feel deeply worried about this German programme. Halifax did not why, but he felt that the issue of German policy in Eastern Europe was going to cause him great concern in the coming weeks.

[Game Effect] – Two fairly big issues looked at today, though I have also tried to inject some of Halifax’s character traits into an otherwise important discussion. Whilst serving as Churchill’s Foreign Secretary in 1940, Halifax would often take lunch with his wife as a break from the strains of leading the FO through the War. Often the two would go out to a restaurant, but as the Battle of Britain wore on they increasingly picnicked on the floor of his office. The reference to the Western is true to a point – Halifax didn’t get films at all and tended to ‘drop off’, and when I read this I couldn’t resist including it in the AAR.

Cadogan’s assessment on the African situation is quite correct: as the Franco-German alliance has no evidence that the attackers were Commonwealth there is no real need for the Government to publicly do anything. But I suspect that Eden and co will be more circumspect in their covert assistance. As I said in an earlier update, the British are still learning (or relearning) lessons in secret warfare. Sir Stewart Menzies’ distaste for ‘amateur’ actions is well-documented. Always something of a political animal, such actions were quite independent from him and as such were viewed with suspicion.

So what are the naughty Germans up to in Poland? Building runways, that’s a bit odd isn’t it? I am not going to insult you with an attempt at a cliff-hanger – of course the Germans are building runways in Eastern Europe, and we all know why. This initial intelligence action, led by Menzies (more of him in a later update) and his Special Intelligence Service, shows that whilst, diplomatically at least, the British aren’t particularly confident, their intelligence agencies are still plucking away, fighting for Blighty. The moral maze that the British now face is the ‘do we tell Stalin’ debate. I actually agree that at the moment to tell Moscow would be to make the wrong move. Given the improving relations between Berlin, Moscow and London (all those nasty questions about the carve-up of Poland conveniently left unasked, but not forgotten) Halifax is playing for time; hoping that SIS come up with something more definitely anti-Russian and in the meantime using his direct line to the Berlin Embassy (remember that Walter Monckton, his close friend, is HMG’s man out there) to find out what the Germans are up to. If (and in Halifax’s mind it is an ‘if’) it becomes clear that the Germans are up to no good, he can use his intelligence at the right time and do whatever it is that ought to be done. Barbarossa, if/when (oh come on, what do you think?!) it is launched will take place without a defiant Britain fighting doggedly in the Mediterranean. In some ways Halifax is in a much more preferable position to Churchill – Britain is not at war and can act as she wishes.

Enewald: As I’ve said quite a few times, Japanis slowly crushing China.

Nathan Madien: Cheers, I’ll try to keep the action going as a counter to political intrigues.

Kurt_Steiner: Barely, but I wanted to give some hope!

We will continue to observe these pwojects in Eastern Europe. When we gain an insight into the weason for this programme we will put the matter formally before cabinet. Until then, gentlemen, I wish you a good afternoon.”

Would two hundred German divisions massed on the border be enough insight, your Lordship?

:D