• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There are some choice quotes in this post:
His methods are old and tried - let the clergy run the country and people will gladly sail across the ocean.
His Catholic Majesty says many bad words about his German cousins and treacherous French, but in the end Olivarez is able to persuade him that these countries do not speak for Europe, they are old and cowardly and that Spain needs to find friends elsewhere in so-called New Europe. Big and powerful friends, the ones that matter... Like Spanish mighty vassals Portugal and Eire.
Hmm... this sounds nothing like real life at all, now does it? :D
And, to round things off with a less explosive quote...
On their way back they stop to enjoy the hospitality of the Prince of Hessen and, as they find it lacking, as of year 1646 Hessen is no more.

LordLeto, you are reading my mind. I read somewhere about how easy it is to diploannex majors. I want to test this statement myself.

Commandante, it's somewhere close to 200. As for playing Spain - you have to like colonization. Myself, I hate it now, I wish there was an option to have Spainish conquests in America governed by AI, 'cause it's Spanish policies in Europe that looked attractive to me.

Stuyvesant, the middle one is clearly a rip off :D, but first and last are mine... as far as I know, of course. I can be easily mistaken.

Felipe IV. 1648-1665

Advances in Germany

Having pacified the Netherlands, His Catholic Majesty, King Felipe IV turns once again on the Protestants in Germany. This time Brandenburg is the target. However, with his minister Olivarez gone in the early 40's, Felipe fails to overan the German Kingdom quickly. Brandenburg and Kustrin do fall to Spanish troops in a year, but then the Protestants take a defensive positions in Prussia and Memel and Spaniards, although successful in defeating German armies, eventually fail to the constant assault from guerillas and weather.

The reign of Felipe IV, and this war in particular, saw the rise of mercenary armies, which forced the conscription system to decline. Spain had money to spend and it needed the soldiers fast. Multitude of territories occupied by Spanish had thousands upon thousands of people leaving below the level of povetry. They would kill for a little bit of money and food. Why, so they did.

In 1650 Austrians, Poles, Germans, Italians, French and English come to an agreement that is spelled in the Treaty of Tolerance. Holy Roman Empire is somewhat reduced in size, since the Austrians are recognized as not capable to maintain control south of Alps (even though they did managed to keep couple of provinces in Italy). The religious wars are condemned by public opinion and royal marriages are permitted between Catholics and Protestants. Once Counter-Reformed, Austria and Papal States turn Catholic. The Treaty of Tordesillas is considered nullified.

Spanish ignore the Edict. They have other worries. The rebellions flare up once again as Brandenburg campaign lasts more than anticipated. Spanish Channell Fleet sails to Baltic and brings reinforcements from England and France. Prussia is finally taken and so is Memel. In 1652 Brandenburg is forced to cede Kustrin and both of the above-mentioned provinces.

Civil war breaks out in England and Scotland in 1654. The royalists' base is in Lothian, while the Parliament forces occupy Anglia. After naval skirmishes off the eastern shore of England, Charles I is captured and beheaded.

One effect the Edict of Tolerance did have on Spanish King was that it forced him to think the same of heretic Protestants and tolerant Catholics. In 1655, when the diplomat from Cologne dares to sneeze at the presence of His Catholic Majesty, Felipe declares war on the Archbishop (vassal of Bavaria) and after a short campaign, accepts the annexation of this Catholic state.

The same year, more of boredom than by purpose, Felipe meets with Ferdinand of Austria and makes a suggestion that Austria should become Spanish vassal. To his suprise, Ferdinand is so troubled by Spanish might that he agrees to this daring offer. Fernando, the Emperor, becomes the vassal of Felipe, the King. His Catholic Majesty, proud of his diplomatic achievements, declares himself the Emperor of the West. This title is only recognized in Spain and among Spanish allies - which makes for a larger half of Europe anyway.

The Seventh Spanish-French War

Meanwhile, French King Louis has not been idle in preparing for future conflict with Spain. After spies report that French army has grown to 150,000 troops, Felipe deems it necessary to bleed the French once again.

In 1658, without casus beli or not even willing to give a reason, Felipe declares war on Spanish arch-enemy. France calls on her allies and they come to the rescue or, to be more precise, to the slaughter. Palatinat, Bavaria and Tuscany, all dream of getting a piece of the Spanish pie. They would sooner break their teeth on it.

spa1658.jpg

The beginning stage of the Seventh Spanish-French War.

Felipe hopes to see the annexation of Bavaria by Austrians, but this is not to be. At first, Austrian forces make some progress against French in Wurzburg (their biggest achievement though is luring the bulk of the French forces to the eastern border) but then disaster strikes. Ferdinand of Austria dies and Leopold of Austria steps to power. He is also proclaimed the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire and he is not to happy to be a vassal to Felipe. The growing tension between Madrid and Vienna results in the worst political crisis since the foundation of the empire. The stability drops fast, and while in peacetime it would be tolerable, during war it is simply unbearable.

From Alaska to the Straights of Magellan, from Malta to the trading center of Mecklenburg those who dislike the Spanish rule take it to the streets to protest King Felipe's warmongering policies. The protests turn into riots, riots turn into rebellions, rebellions turn into unnecessary bloodshed. It is one of these rare moments when the treasury is almost empty, the army is outside the country and the enraged plebes marches on the royal palace.

Felipe decides against testing his luck. He quickly makes peace with French accepting only Schwyz, Normandie and Maine. The "Sun" King breathes with relief. Cardinal Mazarini thanks God for His divine interference. The Huns has been stopped, and he is once again off to tax his, pardon, King's subjects.

Meawhile, Poland diplomatically annexes Hanover and Kleves and general Monk invites the son of Charles I - Charles II - back to England.

Iberian Union

In 1663 Felipe peacefully incorporates Portugal into Spanish empire. Even Portuguese have only one thing to say about this event - about damn time.

After the union, the huge Iberian empire spreads across the globe. With colonization of islands of the Gulf of Alaska, Spain is control of all the lands in South and North Americas. Most of them are fully colonized and converted to Catholic Faith. Only some Protestants in Canada and pagans in Dakotas behave as a lonely bad apple.

Iberia too is all under Spain control, with England, France and Germany well under way. The union gives Spanish monarchs strategically important bases in Africa, from which they can harass and even launch an invasion of English and French colonies, previously out of Spanish reach.

One lonely colony in India also gives Spain an important base for future conquests.

Spanish and Portuguese fleets combined together boast 156 warships and 10 transports. The army consists of 105,000 infantry, 53,000 cavalry and 180 cannons. Spread across four continents it is not as large as it could be - but constant rebellions are like a fire which feeds on the Spanish soldiers.

The last five years of his reign Felipe is busy building up the army, fortifying newly acquired lands and attempting to convert England and Canada. He dies in 1668, a happy man, safe in the knowledge that he did not fail his ancestors. The only thing that slightly bothered Felipe was the fact that he did not completely destroy the Protestant heresy in Germany.

Last edited:
Carlos II (Queen Maria Anna) 1668-1700

The Triumph of Counter-Reformation

Like his father (although he was unlike him in every way), King Carlos II preferred to ignore the Edict of Tolerance. As soon as he came to power, His Catholic Majesty declared that he will live to see the day when all of the Holy Roman Empire is ruled by Catholics.

It is a wonder a King like him would even to dare to say those brave words, not even speaking of following them. Carlos was, let's face, quite a mediocre ruler. Actually, he was a bad ruler. Only the fact that the empire had outgrown the need for good rulers helped to guide Spain into the 18th century. The new King was a bad diplomat, a bad economist and one hell of a coward. He was man enough to like women, but too ugly to be liked by them. In the end, the most powerful man in the world, was not man enough to leave an heir behind him. Luckily for Spain, his mother, Queen Maria Anna of Austria, ruled as a regent for him.

But, the show must go on. Even though Carlos was a bad king, he did have good advisors. Besides, the rest of Europe (and, it seemed, the world) was too terrified by Spain to oppose it openly. No nation dared to declare war on anyone, for the fear of Spanish retribution. In the beginning of his reign, his mother warned every country imaginable to behave themselves. So they did - to her great disappointment.

Still, the cleansing of Protestants in Germany continued. In 1667 Her Catholic Majesty hurt herself thinking of a good excuse to pick a fight with Bohemia. Apparently, one was found, and 1670 Bohemia was subdued and forced to cede Erz and pay tribute. The victim's misfortunes did not end there, as Bohemians tried to ally themselves with Brandenburg.

In 1671, this time not even bothering to find an excuse, the Queen declared war on the latter. After two years of pathetic attempts to take Protestant fortresses by storm, Austria annexes Bohemia, while Spain takes Brandenburg.

Giving the country two years to rest, Maria declares war on Denmark, claiming her goals to be the protection of Catholics in Holstein and liberation of Baltic Sea from the Protestant pirates.

Some 40,000 Spanish troops roll across the border, while another 40,000 sail across the Sund to Norway. The Spanish navy is surprised by the presence of Russian fleet in the Baltic, but is able to defend itself against Danish allies quite easily. Meanwhile, Spanish colonial troops attack Danish colonies in South Africa.

By the end of 1675 Denmark is on her knees. Three Danish colonies in Africa, Ostlandt and Bergenshus in Norway and, finally, Holstein, are handed over to Spain. With this victory ends the Protestant era in Germany. The latter is now divided between Spain, Austria and Poland, which managed to diplo-annex Venice, thus gaining the possession of Bremen.

This causes a big celebration in Madrid, and while the royal family is full of joy, the world is full with quite and desperate hope that this mind be the end of the Spanish conquest. That once their goal is reached and Germany is for Catholics only, the Spanish monarchs will stop behaving like maniacs. For, as they say in a distant Tartary, hope always dies last.

In 1677, Carlos' illegitimate brother, Don John of Austria, manages to exile Queen Maria Anna, and starts ruling through Carlos as a regent. His coming to power bring even more hope to the oppressed people of Europe, especially when he arranges a royal marriage with France, thus taking first step on the road to peace.

Unfortunately for world peace, he is slain by an assassin's hand in 1679. No one knows who was behind the assassination. Queen Maria Anna returns to power.

The "Grand Alliance" War

Her Catholic Majesty's first order of business is to claim the French throne for her son, Carlos II. While he is busy chasing the flies, she sees the danger in the so-called "Grand Alliance" of France, England, Scotland and Bavaria. She also see the opportunity to punish the enemies of Spain all at one time, regardless of what her own people think about it (and they think a lot and all of it is, evidently, bad - stability decreases dramatically). In 1680 she forces the merchant elite to donate yet another forty warships - all for the war effort, she "pleads" with them. And while the navy is ready, so is the army.

In February of 1682 the Queen employs the services of her cardinals, who produce enough miracles to encourage the population. Seizing the moment, Her Catholic Majesty as her son declare war on France, which is by all right his anyway, as she argues with her allies Austria and Eire. The so-called "Grand Alliance War" begins and the conflict immedeately spreads from Europe to Africa and India. Ethiopia soon joins on the side of the Allies, while Habsburgs are supported by... well, Habsburgs and Irish.

In December of 1682 Scotland is no more. In January the nobles across the kingdom agree to stop their feuds, which stabilizes the country completely. In March Turenne performs miracles at Champagne. With his 8,000-weak army he defeats 25,000 well-armed and rested Spanish troops. Then he is overran by another, 50,000-strong Spanish army and killed on the battlefield.

Later Palatinate gives in to Spanish demands and gives up Mainz.

In 1684 Spanish finally bring enough troops to South Africa to be able to capture English forts in the region. English finally realize the futility of resistance and, even after smashing their victory in India, they still sue for peace, offering all but Table in Africa and their precious trading center in Hawaii.

A year later, desperate Louis XIV offers Spain all French African territories plus Poitou, Bretagne, Bern, Morbihan, Vendee and Alsace. The “Grand” Alliance did not look so grand after the war.

Austrian Inheritance

In 1688 France annexes Palatinate. In these very desperate times for the French nation, the people find it a good enough reason for celebration. French expansion in Germany does not go unnoticed by Maria Anna and she counters their move by arranging the high-level meeting between herself, His Majesty, King Carlos II – her less than capable son, and Leopold I of Austria. The meeting lasted a full week. The negotiators agreed to join the Habsburg lands into one empire - with Carlos the Emperor and Leopold and his descendants being the heirs to the throne.

Immediately after it, Queen Maria Anna declared Carlos the heir to Austrian throne and through it – the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. The first is disputed only by some Austrian rebels. The latter is confirmed at the meeting of all the Electors of the Empire: Spain, Poland-Lithuania and Bavaria.

In 1691 the latter enters the alliance with Spain and between 1692 and 1694 the Queen fights Louis XIV on a diplomatic front for the friendship of Poland-Lithuania. Few years ago Poland allied itself with France, but soon it faces a difficult dilemma. It has good relations with both France and Spain, but France is considerably weaker and would be of little help in wars against Turkey, Sweden or Russia. However, in 1693 Palatinate declares its independence from France and Jan III Sobieski of Poland makes up his mind. He refuses to join the war on the side of France, and once invited, joins Spanish alliance with Ireland and Bavaria.

Jan dies in 1696, and so does Queen Maria Anna – the real force behind the Spanish throne. The country is in turmoil, stability drops and people are uncertain of their future. The colonization efforts in Africa and India slow down, while the King goes on with his life like nothing had happened.
He dies in 1700, stability increases and people breathe easier. His subjects shed little tears – the real ruler died four years ago and her name was Queen Maria Anna of Austria.

spa1690.jpg

Spain in Europe?.. Spain is Europe?.. Europe in Spain?.. Year 1690

Last edited:
*cough* north africa *cough*

excuse me, allergies.....

Screw that :D Muslims in my realms would equal catastrophy :)

Sorry, had to edit the previous installment - Leopold of Austria did not die a horrible death - he remained alive and an heir to the throne :)

One more thing: I am getting to the point where I am running of legitimate targets. After I unite Catholic Europe, I will need to look different areas of expansion. Any advise would be welcome. LordLeto's "ambitious" plans don't seem as ambitious today, but I would like an alternative plan as well :D

R.F.A, it's definetely a possibility - after conquering Sweden I would be nicely positioned for an attack on Russia. Would be nice to annex Poland before, but I would be satisfied with keeping them as vassals.

One of the good targets is also Ottoman Porta, as it still holds some Catholic provinces in the Balkans.

I go away for a couple of days and came back to find you've devoured Europe.:eek: Now don't forget Ireland. :D

Joe

Storey, I am sorry, it all happened so fast :D And no, I shall not attack Ireland - they are my chosen people in this AAR... until I can reach Ukraine, naturally :)

GREAT WORK SO FAR!! I've just discovered and read this AAR!! It has a nice approach and describing, with a funny writing!

Do you want advices on where to go now? Well... mmm... try a WC! :D Or, instead, make a crusade against the infidels who control the all-divine lands of palestine and bring the Holy Inquisition there. Anyway, good luck with your battle agains the european heretics!

Anibal, I think I like the idea of the crusade better :) Btw, welcome to the thread.

I have been extremely busy this week, so all that I managed was to play 17 years of Carlos III reign. Enjoy

Carlos III. 1700-1717

Habsburgs united

After Carlos II death Louis XIV pathetically tried to installed his pretendent on the Spanish throne. However, his choice - and his newphew - Phillip of Anjou, had no chance whatsover against Carlos III, the Archduke of Austria. Under agreement between Queen Maria Anna and his father, Leopold of Austria, the heirs of Leopold were to rule Spain if Carlos II died without producing an heir.

His Catholic Majesty's first order of business was to appoint Alberoni a minister and declare war on France, England and Sweden. Wasting little time on excuses - long gone are the times of Felipe II - he orders his forces to concentrate on France. A mistake he will regret later.

Meanwhile, Norway serves as a launching base for the invasion of Sweden. After a series of bloody battles, Swedes have no forces to defend their homelands. Their army in Emilia is forced to retreat and play hide-and-seek with Imperial troops, while the remnants of their navy is sunk in the Ligurian Sea.

In 1703 Swedes plea for peace, offering in return Berslagen, Smaland and Jamtland.

Same year Louis of France wipes off the sun from his royal emblem and signs off all French lands but the ones surrounding Paris to Spain.

London is long taken by Imperials, but the mistake was made by not paying enough attention to mighty fortresses in Oahu and Jaffina, which are guarding these still underdeveloped colonies. Tens of thousands of troops die in fruitless assaults, as they have no way of laying siege to the enemy fortifications. The fortress on Oahu borders the beach and makes it impossible to build a camp. The one in Jaffina is so deep and high in the mountains that the logistic problem of feeding the troops is more terrifying than loosing them in direct assault.

In addition, 18,000-strong cavalry force in Palakimedi still prevents all Spanish efforts to force a landing. Impressed with this resistance Carlos III offers peace to England demanding only Table in South Africa. The offer is accepted.

In 1706 Pope calls His Catholic Majesty a modern-day Attila and his brave soldiers modern-day Huns. Carlos, furios at first, decides against sacking the Holy City. I'll call you my modern-day Leo, is his reply to the Pope.

In 1707 some talks, aimed at reconciliation with Pope, take place in Florence. Pope throws his weight behind Carlos (or the weight of the Spanish juggernaught would be thrown against weakening walls of Rome) and 40,000 volunteers join Carlos on a promise that he will start a crusade against Turkey.

In 1708, apparently in honor of his agreement with Pope, Carlos III declares war on Turkey. His Indian armies burn couple of Turkish trading posts in India, while Austrian and Hungarians troops are hurled against Turks in the Balkans. Poles also battle Turks in Ukraine and Crimea.

While wasting away thousands of troops and precious time, Spanish manage to capture Dalmatia, Bosnia and Croatia. Heavy fighting in Wallachia and Serbia results in a series of victories for the Christian armies. Turks raid as far as Volyn in Poland, but fail to capture a single province.

The high cost of war soon results with lesser and lesser number of mercenaries available. As Spain establishes its power throughout Europe, brigands of all sorts found themselves either in the army or dead (from being in one).

Before the war Turkish Sultan Ahmed managed to make a defensive alliance with Vijayanagar. The alliance paid the dividents, as Spanish were forced to attack this Indian nation in the mountains and, while the victory was never in doubt, the losses were serious enough to restrain from the bold moves.

In 1708 a meteor sighting made everyone suddenly aware of God. Many were hoping God is showing his dissatisfaction with the Emperor of the West. To beat some sense in his subjects' heads Carlos ordered to re-start the conversions of heretics, discontinued by his predecessor. While the inquisition fails its task, the sign of blood restores some stability among the population... that is until the Emperor receives a petition for redress and, forced to deny it, has himself a rebellion in Barbados to worry about.

Finally ready to bring this war to a conclusion, Carlos sends his victorious navy of 28 warships and 4 transports to the Aegean. It's carrying some 30,000 troops (hastily raised in Spain - a feat that has been attempted by Spanish monarchs in a century), which task is capturing Constantinople. Near the shores of Lesbos they are suprised by the Turkish navy, consisiting of 94 galleys and 6 warships. The losses on both sides are minimal, for as soon as the fighting starts, Turkish attempt a false retreat, which quickly turns into a rout. With road to Constantinope clear, the Sultan has no other choice but to agree to the Spanish demands. Turkey cedes Croatia, Bosnia and Dalmatia, while playing a token tribute, which adds the insult to injury.

As soon as the war is over Bavaria is forced to become Spanish vassal. Similar attempts made at the direction of Poland - but Poles were never famous for common sense.

The victory also brings more young people to the Spanish army. The conquered territories across the globe finally come to the realization that Spanish are there to stay. Thus, they decide to capitalize on Spanish successes and send their men to take part in the continuous Spanish conquest. For when there is a conquest there is plunder and glory and plunder and ... looting... plunder. Fun of all sorts. The fact remains that in 1711 another forty thousands volunteers join Spanish army.

A year later Carlos finds his reign too peaceful again and declares war on England. This time there are some 50,000 troops in Hawaii and about 70,000 present in India. London falls quickly, the war on the Swedish front repeats the previous campaign there. Paris is besieged while the French army attempts to invade Spanish Netherlands.

In February of 1713 a first assault on Oahu succedes with a loss of only 8,000 men. Swedes see no other way out but at the negotiation table and soon they negotiate their surrender, ceding Lapland, Emilia and Skane.

In 1714 the old arch-enemy of Spain - France - is officially no more. Louis XIV is put in the iron mask and sent off to the South Africa, where he soon dies of food poisoning. As though God is unhappy with Carlos again, the plague comes back to Europe. Thousands die, millions leave, the event would have gone relatively unnoticed if it happened during peacetime.

In 1715, on a fourth try, Spanish troops take Jaffina - yet another trading center of English. Carlos is confident his troops will have no problems in capturing Palakimedi and starts preparing a big celebration in Madrid. Unfortunately, 15,000 cavalrymen in Palakimedi are commanded by one of the best English generals ever - the Duke of Malborough. Time after time he defeats superior Spanish army, giving hope to people on his own island and across Europe. They raise their voices and their weapons, but His Imperial Majesty would not hear them, and his army grew quite accustomed to handling the opposition.

Finally, after a string of victories, Malborough runs out of luck... Actually, he runs out of troops first. His last charge against the landing Spanish army reserves him a place in history. He will be remembered well by Englishmen and Spaniards alike. With only 600 men he attack 10,000-strong Spanish army and nearly succeds in defeating it. He dies a brave death, causing tens of thousands of casualty to the Spanish in one year of the most fierce fighting India ever saw.

With all her lands in Spanish hands, England has no choice but to sue for peace. Forced to pay tribute and cede Oahu, Jaffina and Palakimedi, she rests defenceless, surrounded by Spanish armies and blocked by the Spanish fleet.

P.S. Screenshots are due soon.

P.P.S. Bored, I am so bored :) Rebellions here, rebellions there, every neighbour is so scared of me, they dare not to fight each other. I was planning to play 'till 1820, but then I was planning on France to be around :D And now, with Napoleon after the picture, I doubt it would be fun.

So, I will stick to those goals: wipe off every Protestant nation. Unite all the Catholic nations (might be hard with Poland, but again, under unification I mean either vassalized or allied) and have this super-Catholic alliance control all the Catholic lands plus the Holy Land. If this will not make me last until 1820, it will, at least, make it more interesting, as there is some kind of a goal.

spa1717a.jpg

Spanish territories in Europe in 1717

spa1717b.jpg

Spanish territories in India in 1717

spa1717c.jpg

Spanish territories in South Africa in 1717

Last edited:
Judge, you r right - nothing left to conquer but the peace itself. Too many wars lately.

Commandante, I shall wipe them off for you :D

Yes wave the flag of the Crusades once again!(you dont have to conqure them your self, you can just make KoJ and help them along and let them convert/conqure the holy land.)