• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Drake Rlugia

Roi-Chevalier
24 Badges
Apr 30, 2006
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • For The Glory
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
The Kingmaker ~ A Burgundian AAR

fr-bourg.gif

The Flag of the Burgundian Duchy

Burgundy has an interesting history. It has been held by various powers through-out it's exsistance, but it's true golden age began in 1364 when John II of France bestowed the fief on his son, Philip the Bold, thus founding the line of Valois-Bourgogne. Philip and his successors would later expand the meagre duchy to include the Lowlands the then extensive duchy of Luxembourg, Picardy, Artois, Lorraine, Alsace, the Franche-Comté, Nivernais, and Charolais.

In the early fifteenth century, the duchy held a key part in French politics. France, then ruled by the mentally unstable Charles VI, was divided between two parties--the Armagnacs and Burgundians. The Armagnacs would lose all power in 1418 when the Burgundians took control of Paris and aligned themselves with England. The rement of the Armagnacs would flee south of the Loire with the French Dauphin, establishing a rival state to reconquer France and restore order.

It is now 1419, and Burgundy lies at the cross-roads. Indeed, she supports England in her conquest of mother France. Of course, there are things to gain for being a English lapdog. But there are perhaps even greater things to gain by playing both the Dauphin and England off eachother. Thus, Burgundy is the Kingmaker. She can make Kings; or she can kill them. But perhaps it now time to lay such a title aside, and to claim the crown for herself?

If you haven't guessed, this is a Burgundian AGCREEP AAR. My goals include the cementing of Burgundy in European politics. I do have designs on conquering the entire French state, but if I do decide to become France, that is adopting the flag and color, a new monarch file will be designed with the original Burgundian monarchs. I will do this because I believe if the Burgundians WERE able to overcome both England and the Dauphin, they would take the crown themselves. I will most likely move my capital to Brussels as well, for that Dutch culture. But the Crown of France event will be changed so I gain more than cores. As for Lothgaria. Perhaps, but it all depends on Austria.

Settings:
Difficulty: Easy (Still getting used to the game)
Aggression: Coward (To avoid the AI murdering eachother)
Independent Wales: Yes
Fantasy Events: Yes

The First update will come later tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited:
AGCREEP? That's a new one.

What a fitting name! :D

*subscribes*

This looks great!

I. A Rocky Road​

fran1am.jpg

The Cîteaux Abbey: Where our adventure begins.

The Cîteaux Abbey, The Duchy of Burgundy
September 14th, 1419

"It is quite unexpected that you have come to see me," Said the Abbot of the Cîteaux Abbey. "Although it is to be expected that you are still in mourning. You father only passed but three moons ago. Pray tell child, why do you come to these hollowed halls?"

The "hallowed halls" that the Abbot spoke of were those of the Cîteaux abbey, one of the richest monesteries in Burgundy, and even France. It was not a very large building, but the riches within more than made up for the size. The abbey lay only a few miles from Dijon, capital of the Burdundian duchy, but given the age in which it florished, nature surrounded. Few souls, aside from those willing to dedicate their lives to God came to this place. Thus it was quite unexpected when Philippe III, the young (and new) duke of Burgundy came to the abbey in the early hours of the morning in a torrent. Willingly, the Abbot of the Cîteaux Abbey who we will now call Bastien took the young man into the abbot, into one of prayer niches for a discussion.

"I apologize for awaking you at such an hour Monsieur, but I have been troubled these past days." Philippe stated. "I cannot get it out of my head. My poor father on that bridge, about to make an agreement with that cowardly Dauphin..and then, he is cut down! It is pure cowardace; how can I sit in Dijon, surrounded by court and listen to the whispers. The honor of myself, and my father must be salvaged! I do not give a damn who killed my father, wether it be the Dauphin, or the Pope; I will make sure he is mowed down, just as he mowed down my father."

Bastien was quite agast at what his liege spoke of. "Milord, please be calm. It is unchristian to think such thoughts. If you allow such thoughts to engulf you..then I am afraid you are no better than the Moslems. You must remain at peace. Your fathers passing is indeed quite tragic. But he cannot be brought back. I am sure he would want you to avenge him..but by disgarding your faith? Surely not!"

"Yes, you are right Monsieur. I apologize." Philippe bowed his head in forgiveness. "I have no come just be at peace. But what is to come. I know well that my father made several visits here in the past. Surely he gave you some insight of his plans?"

Bastien was torn. He had indeed hosted the former duke many times. It was even more true that Jean had been hosted at the abbey some nights before the meeting with Dauphin. If there was one person aside from the court advisors who knew about the Burgundian policies, it was Bastien. As the abbot looked at Philippe, he shuddered. The young man harbored a cold glare, full of vengence. It seemed that the advice of Bastien had merely passed through his ears. Thus, however unwillingly, the abbot folded. He would tell Philippe of Jeans' plans.

"He did," Bastien said with a gulp. "That is true. Despite my age and holy rank, I have served your father as an 'unofficial advisor' from his investure as the Duke of Burgundy, to his death some days ago. I will hold nothing from you, milord. In the early months of this year, your father sent several important embassies to Savoy and the Swiss cantons. He had succeeded in gaining the friendship of both lands, but only Savoy agreed to an alliance. Several reforms were also carried out to centralize the government, so that he, the duke would have more revenues. That is all I know."

The Duke, Philippe, was very impressed. "Thank you, Monsieur. You must have proven very helpful to my father. Thus I kindly ask if you will aid me as you aided my father in these troubled times. I am unsure that I will be able to visit as often as my father, however. There are more important things--such as the ever detiorating state of mother France, and battle plans that must be procured. The Dauphin will pay for his treacherous behavior with his life!"

"Aye, but of course milord." Said Bastien. "I will aid you in every way possible. But, the sun is rising and I am afraid I must instruct prayer. It was a pleasure to speak with you, and I hope you will heed my advice. Until another time, then."

Thus Philippe was left alone, and Bastien left. It was not long before the cords of prayer were struck up, and Philippe could not help but to pray himself, in the privacy of the niche were he had gained an ally.

--

koss6.JPG

A Common Scene of War

The Province of Lyonnais, Territory of the French Dauphin
May 13th, 1420

As Philippe sat astride his horse, he could not help but feel proud as his army, the Armee D'Bourgogne defeated yet another pitiful force raised by the Dauphin. It was hardly a glorious scene. Amongst the spring fields, thousands of bodies bloodied and beaten. Philippe watched the scene with great interest. His army, however small compared to some was effective. The Dauphin, and indeed the Armagnacs seemed unable to procure any sort of resistance. Just as the English siezed Paris from the hands of a dying France, the Burgundians were ready to sieze Lyons from the incompetent Dauphin and his pitiful excuse of an army. It was a great day to be a Burgundian; this was the thought of many soldiers and indeed Philippe himself.

The shouts and roars of battle ended soon after. Philippe had allowed the battle to run it's course; the nobles supportive of the Dauphine were tied, while the captive soldiers were slaughtered as to prevent uprising. It had been a very long day, but certainly not long enough not to procure a feast. Thus the serfs who had been brought along to serve as a baggage train erected the tent of Philippe--a large one of silk and fur. Even when surrounded by the gored bodies of the deceased, it was a beautiful site.

Some Time Later:

"A toast, then," Jean de Pressy stated, rising his glass of wine. "To Philippe le bon, Duc de Burgundy! It is he who shall lead us on to victory! It is a difficult journey, aye, but in the end you shall all be paid in money, food, and land! No Burgundian will ever go hungry again. This is the motto which our dear Duke swears by."

Philippe smiled at his generals over-thought speech. Yes, Philippe had promised many things. Yet it was more or so to gather support. War was a difficult thing, and few would support it unless there were things to be gained--namely, this was land. Lying was a sin, and Philippe knew this well. But sometimes the truth needed stretching. Philippe expected victory; and land would be gained. Enough for the entire army, however? Most likely not. As Philippe drifted into a reverie of thought, he could not help but ignore the cries around him, praising him as a great lord. At the time, it did not matter. Praise meant nothing to Philippe until he knew he deserved it.

"Milord," Stated Jean. "The men praise you, yet you are silent. Why?"

"Because I deserve nothing until I deserve it." Philippe retorted. "Until the Dauphin lies dead from his crimes, no battle, no victory, no loss. It means nothing."

"But milord," Said Jean quickly. "You deserve all praise. Every victory, every battle..it is one step closer, one step nearer to avenging your father. It has been almost a year, milord. You knew your father well. Certainly he would not want such pity. That is most unlike him."

"Monsieur," Said Philippe with burning tact, "You may be right. But you are hired in my court as a general, not a scholar. I will take praise when I am sure I deserve it. I ask that you not critique my opinions any longer. If you do so, I may see it fit to send you elsewhere."

"Of course milord," Jean replied. "I understand fully."

Despite the cool, uninterested glaze, it was now known that a fire burned deep in Philippe.

Good stuff. Now go write some more. ;)

II. A Great Prize

top.jpg

This Medieval Prayer Book represents Philippe le Bon's travel to Troyes, to change the course of Burgundian history forever.

Troyes, The Kingdom of France (Occupied by England)
August 1st, 1421

"I apologize for drawing you away from your southern campaigns, monsieur. But there is a treaty to be signed, and it would be quite rude not include the strongest duchy in France in the negotiations. All in all, the major concerns have been addressed. The government of his majesty Charles VI has agreed to recognize Henry V as the heir to the crown of Saint Louis, while the Dauphin is proclaimed a bastard. This might mean little for the Burgundians, but it can be ensured that greater freedom, and even land will be gained for your great state if you recognize this treaty and side with England."

The English ambassador's voice was only increased within the hallow manor in which he, and various other English courtiers stood. On the opposite stood Philippe le Bon, the Duke of Burgundy. Just two years earlier he had gained the ducal throne as a mere boy. His campaigns in the south had turned him into a rough man. This was shown by the strength he illuminated. Even his loyal courtiers, and the abbot Bastien who stood beside him seemed uneased. It was as if they lived to drink from the ego from the duke.

"Let me see the treaty if you please, monsieur." Said Philippe. The ambassador, with his grubby paws complied.

"Merci," Stated Philippe, as he began to read the scrap of paper. "Yes, it all seems in order. Bastien?"

The abbot, despite his age scurried to the side of his liege, overlooking the paper. For awhile, Bastien stared at the paper studying it. Whilst the Burgundian entorage was quiet, the English could not help but stifle. Why did the Duke of Burgundy, the richest vassal of the French King hire illiterate abbots to serve in his court? That however was the folly of the English. Abbot Bastien could read, and indeed was well learned. It was he who helped make major choices: seldom did Philippe stray too far without writing the abbot. The abbot was one of the few people Philippe could trust.

"All is in order, milord." Said Bastien. "I believe it is beneficial that we sign."

"Then I shall," Philippe replied. "Merci, monsieur."

Philippe set the treaty down onto one of the oaken tables in the manor, and took a quill which had already been dipped in ink. The English envoys could only look on happily, which was quite unnerving to the young Duke. The English..they were just greedy dogs, driven by the needs of their nation. Philippe gladly signed the treaty for now, but he was quite sure it would end up being ripped later.

"Splendid," Said the English ambassador. "It is great day to be English!"

"Yes, a great day indeed.." That is all Philippe could say with a smirk.

--

Dijon, The Duchy of Burgundy
October 26th, 1422

"He's dead," Remarked one Burgundian noble to a lovely court lady. "Charles VI, dead. Not even a month after Henry V. This is quite a mess. Who is the sovereign lord of France? The Dauphin, who is legally a bastard? Or the infant Henry? How can France possibly chose? We certainly are torn: a young man who is legally a bastard, or an infant who already weilds the scepter of two thrones."

"You haven't heard the latest, have you?" Said the Burgundian woman. "The English have been exchanging letters with his excellency, the Duke! It's rumored that the will of Henry V states that his excellency Philippe is to be regent of the French domains of the English. It's quite a towering feat. The English have not even captured the whole of Mother France, yet they already have established a regency!"

"Oh really now," Said the Burgunian lord. "Tell me more!"

There were footsteps, and quickly the idle gossip ceased. Both the lord and lady parted there ways, for idle tongues were never valued in the Burgundian court. Such rules needed reinforced, especially in such troubled times. The Burgundian nobles did not need to worry about the succession of France a regency. Such things mattered only to the ruling council and the Duke. When the hall was empty, the footsteps revealed themselves as Bastien, the abbot who had been serving Philippe and indeed Jean for many years. Despite getting on in his years, he still inspired a sort of envy in the court: it was as if everyone wanted to be him. Yet Bastien was un-nerved: he spent more time abroad, following Philippe in his campaigns, or residing in Dijon. Seldom did he remain at the Cîteaux Abbey for more than a few months. Already he had recieved decrees from the local Bishop that he needed to return to the abbey, but for some reason he seemed unable to do so.

"The choices. And now this newest one. I can only hope that Philippe will make the right choice..a regency is an important step, but it will recognize the English as Kings of Mother France. Such things cannot be tolerated..a corrupt, greedy Briton with the crown of Saint Louis? It is crazy! Only a Valois is fit to wear the crown. This is what God has decreed for now, and it is what must be followed."

Bastien was not alone for long. Soon the Duke himself came into the empty hall. It was actually a common activity of Philippe to wander his halls, thinking in a reverie in order to make a choice. The most recent choice was decided, atleast in his head. Philippe held no loyalty to France: he was the Duke of Burgundy. Mother France did not deserve his loyalty unless she earned it. Becoming a whore of England did not deserve loyalty. Yet even so, Philippe could not leave France destitute. Thus unwillingly, Philippe had decided to be the regent for the French territories under the control of England. With that, perhaps the land would not be left shallow and defeated.

"Ah, monsieur." Philippe replied. "I have heard of the Decrees of the Bishop. If you find it most pressing, then perhaps you should return to the abbey. You have greatly helped me, and I shall still seek your advice. But..perhaps it is time if I do not take you everywhere with me. You are a man, not a doll."

"Of course, milord," Bastien replied. "I should go; I have ignored my spiritural duties for far too long. But before I do prepare my things, I do inquire..what is your stance on the English regency? Are you going to go along with it?"

"Yes, I am." Philippe said. "I owe nothing to Mother France. What has she done for me? Nothing at all! She deserves no pity if she cannot even save herself from the greedy English pigs. Yet..there is a certain feeling I have for her. Certainly not loyalty. Thus I accept the regency to prevent further destruction of France. It is only a temporary agreement, Bastien. Certainly you know in your heart that the English can never tame the French plains?"

There was no further reply from Bastien. He silently left the hall, and he wept. He wept for Mother France.

She was dead.

Very nice start... I look forward to more!

Excellent beginning. It almost sounds as if a war with France will soon be followed by a war with England.

A great start!
It's always nice to see a Burgundy AAR. I hope you manage to play English and Frensh out against each other and found a great Franco-Dutch empire.

~Lord Valentine~

You write very well. Great AAR!

Drake Rlugia said:
I think he was poking fun at my mispelling of the mod. ;)
Silly me overread the simly! I must be suffering from a lack of sleep. ;)
Well at leat if anynone get's interested in the mod throug your AAR now they know where to look. :p

~Lord Valentine~

III. A Dream too far

The Cîteaux Abbey, The Duchy of Burgundy
March 14th, 1423

Some months had passed since Bastien's return to his home, the abbey. It was still the same as it had been ages ago, in the middle of the forest with little visitors. Yet even the solitude of this religious home did little to soothe Bastien's pain. He had been betrayed by his liege. The Duke of Burgundy, in which so much faith had been vested within, had turned his back to France. He was supporting the Britons in their illegal occupation of French soil! Such thoughts plagued Bastien, that only days within his return the abbey, he fell ill. These days turned to weeks, and these weeks to months. Bastien was growing slowly worse, and by March 14th, he was on his death-bed.

The dark room in which Bastien laid within was quite bleak. Little light shown in, leaving a dark atmosphere surrounded by the shadows. The fire place billowed only some warmth, leaving the dark monks to surround their dear abbot, in his death throughs. The only comforting thoughts that came to the people of the abbey was the fact that soon Bastien would be free from his pains.

"Monsieur, shall I administer the last rites?" Asked one of the monks, causing Bastien to groan out. This was all the abbot was able to do, so sick and weakened by whatever was siezing him. Thus, however unwillingly, the last rites were begun. They were elaborate as so many were. Despite being in his death bed, no luxury was sparred by the monks to ensure their father would pass unto heaven unharmed. Soon, it was finished. Bastien had been given his last rites and not much longer he had died. The greatest abbot the monks had ever known had died. Silently, the dark room where Bastien had spent his final months was emptied. The monks had no time for sorrow: the council needed to be gathered to elect another abbot.

The monks were not alone. As they filled into the main hall, there was a young peasant boy clutching a letter. His clothing was quite nice and it could be known that he was a messenger. But from where? A dark eyed monk of nearly fifty approached the young boy, leaning down. The young child however was unphased by the stony glare of the monk.

"Child, why do you disturb the divinity of the abbey? Do you not know the proper protocol? But I shall forgive you. Tell me your name, and I shall help you in whatever way possible."

"Yer kinda silly, you munks," Said the child with a rash glare. "Yer always so primp and proper. Aye can tell ye, it's not like that out in the fields! But anyways, Aye bring ye news from Deejohn."

The monk shuddered at the child. "You may call me Sebastien. And so you know, the name of the city is 'Dijon.' Not Deejohn."

"It's nice to me ye Sebastien," Said the little boy. "Call meh Doir, and aye know wut aye said! Now, do ye want the news from Deejohn or no?!"

"Yes you little urchin," Said the monk Sebastien with another shudder. "Tell me quickly."

"It's fer the abbet, ye know. But aye guess it's okay to tell ye. Anyways, the Breetons offered the Burgundians a deal at Aymeens, up north."

"At Amiens," Repeated Sebastien.

"Yeh, Aymeens. Didn't you hear me?" Doir shot back. "But the point is, the Burgundians refused the deal! It's a glorious day, and soon Muther France will be free!"

Doir said no more and left, leaving Sebastian with a feeling of numbness. This news, the revival of France against her foes..this might of saved the abbot from his death. Yet it was much too late. Sebastien took his leave; he had things to do in the abbey.

--

medievalsoldiersfullgp4.jpg

Burgundian Troops Besiege an Encampment in Artois

The Province of Berri, Territory of the French Dauphin
November, 1425

Over two years have passed since the death of abbot Bastien. Despite his death, Philippe, the Duke of Burgundy had little time for mourning. There was simply too much intrigue surrounding him and his lands. While he administered the English held lands in France, he had to deal with the whore Jacqueline, who claimed inheritance over the Lowlands, which were ruled by Jan of Bavaria. This was no help when the English pressed these claims, going so far as to attack Burgundian settlements in the Lowlands! This further empowered Philippe to break from the English as soon as possible; Philippe could not possibly defeat the Dauphin and expand his duchy if he had to to deal with the English his so-called "allies" aiding every slut who came their way, pressing territorical claims!

"Milord," said Philippe's camp de aide. "We must pull back. There is news that the citizenry of Artois have entered into open revolt. They speak of the whore-countess Jacqueline, who will reassume her rule. We simply do not have the troops to put down a revolt and continue our attacks on the Dauphine. Either we allow the countess to run crazy in the norther and we continue to subdue the Dauphin, or we retreat and put down this revolt. The army will support you either way."

Philippe was rather torn over his choice. Indeed, he was not far from the capital of the Dauphin at Chinon. But Philippe could not allow the English and the Dutch countess to run amongst his legal domains, in an attempt to restore the status-quo. Jacqueline had lost her chance at being countess of Holland: The Burgundians would not allow her to usurp the sovereign lands of Flanders and Artois, atleast not without a flight. Turning his horse around, Philippe rode at the head of his troops, rallying them with his cry.

"Men, we will turn back for today! It is the divine providence which ushers us north, to crush the whore Jacqueline and the sniveling Britons! The Dauphin will be spared for now. Let us hope he prays to God for this, for next time we shall show no mercy!"

The troops ate Philippe's words like a sweet soup. Yet it would be a difficult march. Philippe wasted no time to muster his troops back into Burgundian lands, and then north through English occupied territories (Philippe was graciously allowed access through English lands in France, being the Regent), into the Burgundian Lowlands. It would not be a "quick victory" as many hoped. Philippe would spent nearly all of 1426 in the Lowlands, putting down Jacqueline's rebellion. Despite the hardship, Jacqueline's revolt was defeated, and the rebellious countess was imprisoned in Artois. This taught the English a grave lesson: Burgundy was a land that would not tolerate foolishness.

As for the war with the Dauphin, it was more or less quiet. Vast swaths of the Dauphin's land in the south, including Lyon and it's rich merchant houses were occupied by the Burgundian, and had remained so for years. So permenant did the war seem, that Burgundy appointed officials to the various occupied lands to collect revenue. This was very important, for dispite the lavishness which surrounded Dijon and Burgundy, the duchy was losing money. Indeed, so broke did Burgundy become, that Philippe had to arrange a loan from the local Jews in Dijon. Despite the great costs, Philippe was able to refurnish his army, so that it would be prepared for further campaigning in 1427...

--

chateaudechinonju1.jpg

The Château of Chinon; Here, the Burgundians and the French Dauphin came to terms in 1428

Chinon, Territory of the French Dauphin
May 6th, 1428

Philippe le Bon and Charles VII shook hands cordially, although a sense of anger burned in the eyes of the Burgundian duke. Both took their seats on opposite sides of the table. Both were surrounded by their affluent nobles, ministers, and guards. Indeed, the war between Burgundy had raged for nearly a decade. Most believed it time to lay down their blades, especially considering the war between England and the Dauphin had come to an end.

"As I have told you time and time again, I will not cede you Lyonnais." Charles VII stated. "I may have lost the battle, but I have certainly not lost the war!"

"I believe it suitable reperation," roared the duke. "Afterall, you had my father cut down, like the coward you are! I will take nothing less than Lyonnais and Dauphine. It is an insult to Burgundy..and indeed the memory of my father to accept anything less."

The Dauphin was aghast at Philippe's boldness. How could he be so rude? As the Dauphin sat, his ministers surrounded him, feeding the feeble man lies. This was how the court at Chinon was, and it was how it would remain. Yet even the ministers of the Dauphin needed a plan. Burgundy was the strongest state in France, and without appeasement, she would certainly gobble the nation whole.

"I will..make concessions," The Dauphin replied. "Not Lyonnais. But Dauphine and Languedoc. I will also give allow you to collect taxes in Lyonnais for some time. I ask that you accept this most gracious deal. You have come to illuminate the true power of France. Certainly you cannot dismantle my domains? I am your legal lord, despite what Troyes says. Henry II is no King..you only rule for him because there is much to gain from it."

"Mother France is dead!" Spat Philippe. "Why I rule for Henry II is certainly no business of you. I will accept your deal, but let it be known that I will never forgive your cowardace. Until you have proven yourself, you are no liege to me. Indeed, Burgundy will serve no one but herself. We follow our own destiny..it will be dictated by neither you, nor the Britons."

Despite the insults, the Treaty of Tours was signed by both Charles VII and Philippe in 1428. It was a great success in Burgundian diplomacy, establishing them as the most dominant state in France. It's most important clause declared the Treaty of Troyes null and void, and in a grand celebration in Chinon, Philippe le Bon denounced the English regency and declared Henry II desposed. Given the weakness of the Dauphin and inability to persue a war against England, the Dauphin named Philippe "Regent of Saint Louis' Crown," giving the Burgundian duke ability to administer all French provinces under foreign rule. This treaty proved a great day for France and Burgundy. The Britons however, were less than pleased. Their reaction would be seen later in the year...​