The Ironic Nature of Paradox Forums

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Maybe more of us need to read and post in the suggestion forum. A lively debate means people like or dislike something, trouble is for every good idea you get ten poor ideas and two really stupid ones, a thankless task to trawl through.

Reactions:
Other forum posters (not talking about devs) seems much more likely to answer suggestions in the main forum, which is a problem.

I personally never posts in a man forum suggestion, so as not to encourage the practise.

Really hope that the forum moderation can make an effort to close/move suggestions in the main forum so that the suggestion sub forum becomes more relevant.

Reactions:
bug report subforum doesn't get read by devs either..

Tagging a dev works better to report a bug also, if you make a thread on it in general forum ;)

(ok this is cynical post, but I DO wonder if bug report forum gets intensively read by devs)
They do, have often seen a member of PDX answer to bug reports, given some were not devs but they had direct access to them and put the word forward... And since the bugs get´s fixed, those I know of anyway... They do know of the forum ;-)
Other forum posters (not talking about devs) seems much more likely to answer suggestions in the main forum, which is a problem.

I personally never posts in a man forum suggestion, so as not to encourage the practise.

Really hope that the forum moderation can make an effort to close/move suggestions in the main forum so that the suggestion sub forum becomes more relevant.
Well, sometimes it´s not just a suggestion, it´s a discussion more suited for general but with suggestions inside... But really, in the end when the discussion has been had, it should be posted in suggestions with the conclusion and perhaps a link to the discussion :)

Reactions:
bug report subforum doesn't get read by devs either..

Tagging a dev works better to report a bug also, if you make a thread on it in general forum ;)

(ok this is cynical post, but I DO wonder if bug report forum gets intensively read by devs)

They do especially if it's really gamebreaking or not a bug

Maybe more of us need to read and post in the suggestion forum. A lively debate means people like or dislike something, trouble is for every good idea you get ten poor ideas and two really stupid ones, a thankless task to trawl through.
More like ten ideas that are so mind numbingly stupid your brain hurts, 20 completely retarded ideas, 5 biased ideas that hurt one place while buffing another. And then you get one good idea that MIGHT work. and out of those good ideas, only one in ten actually works so...

Reactions:
More like ten ideas that are so mind numbingly stupid your brain hurts, 20 completely retarded ideas, 5 biased ideas that hurt one place while buffing another. And then you get one good idea that MIGHT work. and out of those good ideas, only one in ten actually works so...
To be fair, it´s better to have those ideas and let the developers think of ways to best improve and balance it anyway... But I do agree that some don´t consider the balancing aspect of their ideas, but that´s really an issue for the devs to handle

Reactions:
To be fair, it´s better to have those ideas and let the developers think of ways to best improve and balance it anyway... But I do agree that some don´t consider the balancing aspect of their ideas, but that´s really an issue for the devs to handle
One of the things that every writer and game designer should have in their head is that ideas are cheap.

Thoughtfully presented ideas that show the presenter is willing to considered the potential downsides of the thing they imagine is really awesome have value.

One of the things that every writer and game designer should have in their head is that ideas are cheap.

Thoughtfully presented ideas that show the presenter is willing to considered the potential downsides of the thing they imagine is really awesome have value.
I usually always consider downsides, balancing issues and gameplay when suggesting... I am even the annoying bastards who reminds other to do the same or point out the flaws in their design, not to put them down but to try and help them improve on their ideas since they sorely desire them and most of the times a great compromise is found... I even try to support their ideas of how to balance it, even when I dislike their idea, but if I can follow their idea and see how it could be implemented without much disruption to balance and gameplay, I´m not the one to judge, the devs are... Besides I don´t even agree on the devs all the time, but still enjoy the game ;-)

Your concerns has been noted. Apologies if you feel left out in there :/

It's a common problem. The only way I've seen where it's been solved is simply to have a system where people can add points (vote) to good ideas and then sort them by points rather than newest. With the exception that new topics will stay at the top for a few days to give them time to gather responses (effectively, they have hidden points that fade away over time that keep them near the top for a few days).

Then actually go in there and respond to the most popular ideas (and lock them once done).

Otherwise you might as well delete the board because it serves no purpose other than making it so that people who follow your boards rules are punished for it.

Reactions:
It's a common problem. The only way I've seen where it's been solved is simply to have a system where people can add points (vote) to good ideas and then sort them by points rather than newest. With the exception that new topics will stay at the top for a few days to give them time to gather responses (effectively, they have hidden points that fade away over time that keep them near the top for a few days).

Then actually go in there and respond to the most popular ideas (and lock them once done).

Otherwise you might as well delete the board because it serves no purpose other than making it so that people who follow your boards rules are punished for it.
This is a good suggestion, probably belongs somewhere else though :D

Reactions:

Considering at least a chunk of the suggestions are basic improvements to the game's user interface, no.

They do especially if it's really gamebreaking or not a bug

I find this difficult to reconcile. Either they aren't reading many of these posts, or they read them and log the bugs, then decide that they're sufficiently low priority to take a back seat to both new DLC content *and* the numerous changes that make the cut and get implemented in the patches.

It's hard to believe a developer would say "yeah, re-assigning how AE is distributed in some subject situations is way more important to change than a flagrant user interface lie that was clearly documented and readily reproducible", then go on to ignore the latter for two major patches. I think it's actually more generous to conclude that they don't read that forum carefully, because the alternative conclusion is pretty bad.

Reactions:

Even a post being popular, or having a surprising amount of longevity or replies doesn't guarantee a dev response (my Buff Catholicism thread is perhaps a prime example; over two-hundred ratings on the OP, 30 pages/nearly 600 posts, frequent revivals since there's a lot to work with and still no recognition from a dev that it even exists).

Frankly, one of the problems to me is that it seems the traditional EU4 team has been busy elsewhere - as the main forums also seem to lack dev activity as well. Wiz's moved onto Stellaris AI, Johan's busy with HoI IV, I don't really know what Trin's been doing (he does seem to like threads regarding India, though), and Chaingun - who's an AI programmer - is the only one I've seen really active on the EU4 forums in general as of late.

Reactions:

Our forums actually support just that. You can add helpful, disagree or agree. If you look at the top of each page you will find a "sort posts by" where you can sort by each individual rating type.

This is only inside threads though. I suppose you mean it should be possible to sort entire threads like it.

Reactions:
You can see who has rated your posts. They disabled the ability to see who has rated other people's posts quite some time ago.

Yes, but drive-by hate still exists. Other people can´t see who disliked your post, but you can see and thus retaliate

Terrible, terrible feature of this forum.

The better would be to dislike option to be removed. It´s abused more than used. Like however is still valuable. Well written posts are appreciated and were read by devs even in the age of HOI2 already.

I think the Paradox Suggestion Forum is basically the digital equivalent of the old joke about the suggestion box with an open bottom placed above a trash can.

I´m afraid it´s much more worse than that, because people who have nothing to do with Paradox can read and "rate" it. Sometimes hating it and creating a toxic forum.

I don't really know what Trin's been doing (he does seem to like threads regarding India, though)

Trin was in parental leave. Not sure how long it lasts in Sweden though.

And EUIV India is his baby, so he always appears out of thin air to reply to people. In fact, I'd say that's the best way to attract a dev response...

Reactions:
Follow the rules and post a suggestion in the suggestion forums... get ignored.
Break the rules and post a suggestion in the general forums ... get a response.

And as per many of the suggestion threads that end up in general, I'm going to say that I posted in the suggestion forum first but got ignored.
You call it paradox of paradox forum....;)

Reactions:
I agree. It's always making a new suggestion thread always causes inner struggle. Post it on the main forums, spread the practice of posting suggestions on the main forum and worsen the situation for those who do post in the Suggestion subsection. Post it in the Suggestions subsection, risk not getting any attention, while others who simply don't care post on the main forum and get attention. As a retired moderator, I say it should be the mods job to enforce these kinds of things, move all suggestion threads to the Suggestion subsection.

Besides, it's true that a lot of suggestions seem pointless or hopeless... Sometimes both! However those are not my suggestions! Because mine are good, so you should check them out now! And since I - unlike my suggestions - am not a respectable member of this community here is a shameless link to one: Make vassals use up only 0.5 diplo relation slots

Reactions:
I agree. It's always making a new suggestion thread always causes inner struggle. Post it on the main forums, spread the practice of posting suggestions on the main forum and worsen the situation for those who do post in the Suggestion subsection. Post it in the Suggestions subsection, risk not getting any attention, while others who simply don't care post on the main forum and get attention. As a retired moderator, I say it should be the mods job to enforce these kinds of things, move all suggestion threads to the Suggestion subsection.

Besides, it's true that a lot of suggestions seem pointless or hopeless... Sometimes both! However those are not my suggestions! Because mine are good, so you should check them out now! And since I - unlike my suggestions - am not a respectable member of this community here is a shameless link to one: Make vassals use up only 0.5 diplo relation slots
Advertising for your own suggestion :p PS... Dislike the idea though I get it... But it should always be an option to have an ally or vassals... Besides, using vassals and annexing them is OP currently, so being able to having even more will beat an ally anyday, since you get income from them, they get a bonus start to FL, which will make 2 vassals always better than any allies... Also since they will always join and never be dragging you into wars...

Advertising for your own suggestion :p PS... Dislike the idea though I get it... But it should always be an option to have an ally or vassals... Besides, using vassals and annexing them is OP currently, so being able to having even more will beat an ally anyday, since you get income from them, they get a bonus start to FL, which will make 2 vassals always better than any allies... Also since they will always join and never be dragging you into wars...
Don't post it here. Post it there :(. Then I'll respond to it :). And I'm totally not advertising. Oh no, no, no my friend. I merely acknowledged the existence a suggestion that happens to be mine.