• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part Eleven - A new Patiala 1480-1488
In late october 1480 Jagdeva started constructing a temple in the capital and was unsuprisingly re-elected Peshwa the following month. Less than a year after the election though, something unexpected happened. Another special Peshwa got a tragic end on his career. When Jagdeva was riding around in the conquered Delhian provinces, he and his small group of guards were ambushed by separatists. Jagdeva wasn't a military person and wouldn't have held out for long when his guards were defeated, so he tried to negotiate with the rebels. It ended with his head being cut off and his men getting slaughtered in an uneven combat.
2015-11-01_00075_zps9xsxnrtc.jpg

This resulted in an unexpected election the 4 July 1481, where the Guilds managed to elect another Patiala, Sallaksanavarman Patiala, a distant cousin to Kunwar. Sallaksanavarman was a traditional Kalapian "maneuvering and campaigning" general, while the new general of the Kalapian army, Baccdev Gautam, was more of a melee combat general who liked "real battles".
2015-11-01_00077_zpspqclcgpp.jpg

January 1482 Sallaksanavarman decided to support Mewar in their war of cultural unification against Dhundhar, wich also meant a war against his other ally Nepal. Baccdev took command of the Kalapian army and led it to Rohikaland were he faced the Nepali army. Some of his tactics were good, but in the end mostly the Kalapian superior numbers affected the result, wich was a victory for Kalapi. The war ended in victory in april the following year and Sallaksanavarman began to plan for a war against Mewat, where Jaunpur would help the enemy.
2015-11-01_00082_zpsdbgt6eip.jpg

2015-11-01_00089_zpsmfd5frtd.jpg

2015-11-01_00090_zpsat31iprl.jpg

When Sallaksanavarman started the war in may 1485, when he had over 1200 ducats in his treasury and all his allies ready to support him, he couldn't loose.
2015-11-01_00093_zpsguav68hu.jpg

The Peshwa was re-elected 1485 and could continue his rule. Right after the election the Guilds seized Power and two weeks later, information about a noble plot reached Sallaksanavarman in the capital.
2015-11-01_00094_zpsfqk3maze.jpg

2015-11-01_00095_zps7gvetkrh.jpg

2015-11-01_00096_zpsmwew5iif.jpg

It could probably be more dangerous than Sallaksanavarman understood. 17 April 1486, after 280 Days of sieging, Mevat, the capital of Mewat, fell to Kalapi.
2015-11-01_00099_zpsyqrgnjlp.jpg

January 1487 Sallaksanavarman made some administrative advancements for Kalapi. As Kalapi was growing to a great Power, they would need Soldiers to defend their position. Therefore the Peshwa announced what he called "the Qantity Idea" wich included lots of laws about conscription to make recruitment easier and more men available for military service.
2015-11-01_00101_zpszo0ynnbl.jpg

2015-11-01_00102_zpsu6ghsflj.jpg

This new idea wouldn't be needed to win the ongoing war though, as Jaunpur agreed upon Peace a few Days after the new laws were made reality. Jaunpur would have to pay 30 ducats and give some territories to Kalapi and also release Bagelkhand as an independent state. Now it was clear Kalapi wasn't a minor state anymore.
2015-11-01_00103_zpssyugzwly.jpg

2015-11-01_00104_zpstb2wziea.jpg

12 March 1487 Mewat surrendered to Kalapi as there was no hope left for them.
2015-11-01_00105_zpse7il2vl0.jpg

Sallaksanavarman now decided to appoint a military advisor and an administrative advisor to help steering the growing nation, and not just the trading advisor. Jayavarman Malhi, the trading advisor had recently been met with critics and the Peshwa too, for following his advices. Sallaksanavarman ignored these complaints and continued to trust that his advisor did the best for the country.
2015-11-01_00106_zps2swaxdy0.jpg

Late august the same year a Guild Conspiracy was discovered, at least if you listened to the nobles. The Peshwa thought "if someone is plotting against me, it must be the nobles", so he didn't care to much about it.
2015-11-01_00108_zps01uj2tfn.jpg

When he took a look at the current political situation in november he understood why the nobles had tried to accuse the Guilds: The Guilds had 61% of the electoral seats, the traders 30% and the nobles 8%.
2015-11-01_00109_zpspzl6blds.jpg

When Sallaksanavarman saw this he thought there was only one way to protect the republic. The 3 October 1488, he proclaimed himself dictator for life.
2015-11-01_00116_zpst1x6sp5z.jpg

Last edited:
From now I will use the Cosscks DLC, hopefully it will work well:)

Reactions:
Part Twelve - The New Century 1488-1500
Sallaksanavarman thought he had protected the republic, but it wasn't really a "republic" anymore.
For a few years the Peshwa didn't do much more than building a marketplace in Mathura, bringing the shipyard to Kalapi, though the nation was without coast, and finding a skilled military engineer. In august 1494, the military advisor of Kalapi passed away in a hunting accident, just as another skilled military theorist was sent to Malwa.

2016-01-16_00011_zpsnerwdzem.jpg

In april the following year, the first major revolt since the founding of Kalapi, began in Avadh. They were fighting for the freedom of Oudh. Sallaksanavarman instantly ordered Baccdev Gautam, who still was the leader of the Kalapian army, to mobilize the forces. Fortunately for Kalapi the slightly outnumbered rebels were hunt down in Rohilakhand. Gautam swiftly destroyed the rebel army to half the enemy losses. Another victory for the Kalapian army!
2016-01-16_00012_zps6ywv1vqy.jpg

2016-01-16_00013_zpsoq7hqrp5.jpg

As Mewar didn't see any intrest in helping Kalapi anymore, they broke their alliance. Soon the diplomatic advisor of Sallaksanavarman managed to negotiate an alliance with Kathiawar to replace the lost one. When the ruler saw a new document of the influence of factions in Kalapi, he began to cry, as he saw that the Guilds had just got more influence since he checked the last time. They had 78% of the electoral seats.
2016-01-16_00015_zpswe4pzvqp.jpg

In the beginning of 1497 the Avadhi culture was starting to be accepted in the "republic". Late july the same year the people demanded democracy and their Peshwa told them in his speech " Kalapi will be a democracy, I just need to stabilize it ". 1498 the earlier ally of Kalapi, Mewar, declared them their rival.
2016-01-16_00018_zpsvtuitxnu.jpg

During the last year of the century, Baccdeva Gautam introduced new weapons and strategies to Kalapi, a nation that would be stronger than ever the next century.
The 16th century began with smugglers and the death of a master recruiter.

Last edited:
Part Thirteen - The King 1500-1509
5 January 1501, Sallaksanavarman began his attempt to give Kalapi access to the sea. The first step wasn't easy for the Peshwa, as he had to attack a nation that had been Kalapi's ally since 50 years ago, but he still favoured his nation over everything else and did it. Jarkhand was no match for the republic and its vassals, so no allies were called to war. After a year the war was won and Jarkhand lost all their territories except from the Eastern part of the country, wich was occupied by Bengal. This shows us that not even the strongest alliances can last forever, as the Kalapian alliance was falling apart.
2016-01-16_00027_zpsvdblchsv.jpg

December 1503 the republic joined Kathiawar in their war against Sind and Bahmanis. In the war Sallaksanavarman and Baccdev had to co-operate with Mewar, because of them also helping Kathiawar. Baccdev didn't do too much in the war, he just sieged a few of Bahmanis forts. Kathiawar payed Sallaksanavarman with 4 ducats from sinds treasury when the war was over, but what Kalapi really gained from the war was that they now could be sure to get help from Kathiawar in their own wars.
2016-01-16_00028_zpssju5xfyw.jpg

2016-01-16_00031_zpsq79wn00w.jpg

August 1507 the leader of the Kalapian army introduced the artillery to the republic, two months before he died of unknown reasons the 1 December. Without a loyal general commanding the army, the Peshwa was now vulnerable to revolts. During the latest years he had failed to notice the Guilds preparations for a coup. On New Year's Eve 1507 a 19 years old man from the Guilds started the revolution in Panipat in northern Kalapi. He marched with his men towards the capital and Sallaksanavarman didn't have time enough to get the army there. When he tried to escape the city, he was caught by ten peasants who wanted to restore the republic. They didn't know that they only helped to change Kalapi to a Kingdom by arresting the Peshwa. Sallaksanavarman was executed a few days later and the last order broke. The clergy and the Nobles seized the western provinces as the state could no longer oppose them. 2 March 1508 the rebel leader Kunwar Dhariwal adopted the title "Maharaja of Kalapi" and the civil war ended when he decided to accept that the Clergy and the Nobles ruled the western territories.
2016-01-16_00034_zpsdocpnsfr.jpg

He started his reign by signing Royal marriages with all his allies and soon abandoned the Peshwas council, except from the administrative advisor. Less than a year after he rose to power his son Devapala was born. 8 July 1509 the most important and risky war since the Kalapi-Delhian Brother War began. Kunwar was attacking Bengal because they were the only nation preventing Kalapi from reaching the eastern coast.
2016-01-16_00038_zpsn13udyo7.jpg

2016-01-16_00039_zpsxpsazdmg.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
Probably because of the patch 1.15 I can't load my savegame as everything becomes terra incognita and the game crashes. I have tried to roll back the game to 1.14, but it doesn't seem to work then either. Hopefully it's just the mods that aren't updated, because otherwise I don't know how to continue the AAR :(. If I don't get it working soon I will maybe start a vote where you can help deciding what AAR I'm going to do next. For those who liked this AAR, I will hopefully be able to continue when the mods are available for 1.15, and otherwise we have to say goodbye to Kalapi earlier than expected :(.

Last edited:
Vote for wich game I should use for my next AAR, EUIV, Victoria II or HOI3. I won't do another CK2 AAR until Adorno and Nordmann is finished. When this vote is finished, I will start Another one for wich country. Just post your vote in this thread.
If there are no votes until next weekend, I will do a Vinland AAR for EUIV.

Last edited: