• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Farquharson

Mad Clansman
17 Badges
Nov 7, 2003
malcolm.lyon.free.fr
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Well, here it is, my first ever Crusader Kings AAR. Indeed it’s my first real game of Crusader Kings, so I have the distinct feeling of being a newbie! It’s a bit naughty of me to begin this AAR right now because I’m going to be away for the next two weeks and I won’t be posting anything during that time. However, having done quite a bit of research and having written the Prologue, I started to become paranoid that someone else would begin a new Hungarian AAR before I got back! If you are planning to write a Hungarian AAR, please feel free to continue - but just remember, I WAS HERE FIRST! :D

The Árpád family are well-represented in 1.04a - I understand they have been “enhanced” from previous patches. You can choose to begin as Salamon Árpád, the boy-king of Hungary, which of course makes it pretty easy to hold onto the throne of Hungary since there are plenty of Árpáds about. Alternatively you can try the challenge of starting as László Árpád, Count of Bihar, which is what siekel did in his excellent Ladislaus I the Saint, and his dynasty which he completed a few weeks ago. From this beginning it’s a lot more difficult to get to the Hungarian throne. Finally you can do what I’ve chosen and begin as Géza Árpád, Duke of Slovakia, who starts the game first in line to the throne, but only as long as Salamon remains without sons to succeed him. Even then he has a claim to the throne as well.

Before I begin, though, a word to any Hungarian readers. The Árpáds were undoubtedly an outstanding family, the founders of modern Hungary. Much has been written about this great dynasty - but probably never in the way it’s about to be retold here... :eek: All I can do is to offer my humble apologies. Look on the bright side - this AAR might actually benefit Hungary’s tourist industry! That is, I might be more willing to make the effort one day of visiting your wonderful country! I have also decided to make a special effort with names and places. I will try to keep all the accents in place when writing anything Hungarian, and to indicate the approximately correct pronunciation of proper names. Please feel free to correct any errors - thus will this become a truly educational AAR!

As for game goals, these are as follows for the time being:

1) become the King of Hungary
2) keep the Kingdom of Hungary from disintegrating
3) bring the Pechenegs into the fold
4) become King of Croatia
5) survive the Mongol invasion

Apart from the last one all this was achieved historically by the Árpád dynasty, so I hope it won't be too taxing even for a newbie! The Mongols may be another story... Since this is my first real game I’ve no idea how I’m likely to get on and what other ideas might present themselves - we’ll just have to wait and see!

As for what we might call “personal goals” these are as follows:

1) learn as much as possible about CK, by getting help and advice from friendly readAARs
2) learn about the history of Hungary, and pass on some of it to others
3) write an entertaining account of the Árpád family saga
4) have fun!

And so, without further ado, one Prologue coming up...

The Incorrupt Hand: A Comedy of Árpáds

Prologue

It all began back around 970 when two Bavarian missionaries, Wolfgang and Pilgrim of Passau, arrived at the court of the Magyar high-chieftain, Géza Árpád [pron."Gay-za Ahr-pahd"], intent on converting the warlike pagan Magyars to the Christian faith. Some have accused this particular missionary duo of misrepresenting the Gospel somewhat, but others have reasoned that, since the Magyars were successfully converted, the end justified the means. The reader must judge for himself:

Wolfgang: Greetings, Your Highness! We have come to reveal to you the manifold benefits of embracing the glorious gospel of Christ!

Géza Árpád: Hah! You want me to become a Christian?

Pilgrim: Not just you, Your Highness, but all your family and all your people! The gospel is for all the world.

Géza Árpád: Now let me see - Christians... They’d be the people whose lands we’ve been raiding and pillaging all across Europe for the last century and a half, wouldn’t they?

Wolfgang: Er... yes, I think that’s correct...

Géza Árpád: So tell me, what possible benefit could there be in becoming Christian? Will we still be able to raid and pillage? Eh?

Pilgrim: Um, well, I think that’ll have to stop, actually.

Géza Árpád: I thought so. In fact, we’ll probably have to start being nice to people, won’t we?

Wolfgang: Well, it’s not that difficult, really...

Géza Árpád: Not that much fun either, I wouldn’t think.

Wolfgang: But we haven’t told you about the manifest benefits of becoming Christian yet.

Géza Árpád: OK guys, surprise me.

Pilgrim: Well, for one thing you can say goodbye to that totally naff circular coat-of-arms you’ve been saddled with. Christians get to use shield-shaped coats-of-arms - like this...

Hungary-Shield.gif

Géza Árpád: Hmm... well, now you’ve got me interested - but it doesn’t seem worth it really, given the drawbacks. Is that all?

Wolfgang: Oh no, Your Highness - we haven’t told you about the really important benefit.

Géza Árpád: Which is...?

Pilgrim: Come 1066, if you haven’t turned Christian, your chances of being run by a human are precisely nil.

Géza Árpád: What? What else are we going to be run by?

Wolfgang: An AI.

Géza Árpád: An AI? What’s that?

Pilgrim: One of these...

Sloth.jpg

The three-toed sloth or ai, bradypus tridactylus

Géza Árpád: Yikes! But wait a minute... how do I know you’re telling the truth, eh?

Wolfgang: Paradox honour, Your Highness.

Géza Árpád, after a short pause: Right - when did you say the catechismal classes begin?

Strangely, Géza did not seem to have grasped even the rudiments of Biblical doctrine, so he never actually became a Christian himself, however he made sure his son was named Stephen, and was brought up as a Christian. Otto III King of Germany thought that the newly converted lands of Hungary would make a nice addition to his Empire - Stephen however was determined to prevent such a move. He was clever enough to see that allegiance to the Pope would mean the continued independence of Hungary, and so in the year 1000, three years after his father’s death, he received the new and official Crown of Hungary from Pope Sylvester II. The Kingdom of Hungary had arrived on the map of Europe.

King Stephen I turned out to be an exceptional ruler and the very epitome of a Good Christian King. He transformed the nation of Hungary from an unruly bunch of pagan raiders into a civilized Christian kingdom. For this miraculous feat he was later canonized and today, not surprisingly, he is still celebrated as the patron saint of Hungary. Alas, not all his descendants lived up to his saintly reputation, but nevertheless the Árpád family were to rule Hungary for another three centuries.

We take up the story in the year 1066, when the Kingdom was facing something of a crisis. Six years earlier, following a period of unrest and rebellion, three brothers of the House of Árpád, Andrew, Béla [pron."Bay-la"] and Levente, had returned to Hungary from exile in Poland. The eldest, Andrew I, had been recognized as King, but when he tried to ensure the succession of his infant son Salamon, Béla his ambitious brother revolted. In the ensuing fighting King Andrew was killed and Béla took the throne, while the young Salamon took refuge with King Heinrich III of Germany, to whose child-daughter Jutta he had already been married.

However Béla himself died in 1063, crushed to death when his own throne fell on top of him - the mind boggles as to how this came about, but happen it did! After this tragic incident the King of Germany was quick to install the somewhat incompetent and distinctly under-age Salomon as rightful king, obviously hoping to thus bring Hungary under German sway in the future. Béla’s two sons, Géza and László [pron."Lahss-loh"], accepted this situation grudgingly, but Géza, who had been made Duke of Slovakia, still considered himself to have a claim to the throne by a sort of medieval “My Dad beat your Dad” argument.

Let us then take a look at the Kingdom of Hungary and its neighbours in 1066:

Hungary1066.jpg

Note the pagan Pechenegs to the south-east of Hungary. This unruly people obviously needed to be brought in their turn the manifold benefits of being Christian and getting to use shield-shaped coats-of-arms. They were of course currently being run by an ai.

Within the Kingdom of Hungary, Géza Duke of Slovakia ruled over five provinces, four of which were administered by vassal Counts:

Slovakia1066.jpg

One of these vassals was his younger brother László, Count of Bihar, the detached province to the south-east. The other vassals were not of the Árpád family, but from other noble Hungarian families, like all the other vassal counts of Hungary who pledged allegiance directly to King Salamon.

The crisis facing Hungary in 1066 could be summed up in two words: “King Salamon”. Basically his diplomatic skills were practically non-existent, and indeed posterity remembers him as Salamon the Utterly Tactless:

Salamon.jpg

The danger was that the King would alienate his nobles by his blundering incompetence, and before long the whole kingdom would begin to break up. At this point his brother-in-law Heinrich IV, King of Germany would be sure to be there waiting to pick up the pieces.

The only hope for Hungary seemed to lie with the King’s cousin Duke Géza of Slovakia, but there was just one slight problem. He was not on the throne - not yet anyway...

Geza.jpg

Last edited:
This should be fun; I guess I'll wait two weeks. I've never played Hungary before, but the AI usually has them disintegrate by 1080. :eek: But general CK stuff:
-Always appoint a steward, chancellor, spy master, and marshal ASAP, and check your court for better skilled people every now and then. If you leave the positions open, annoying random events fire every month or so.
-Keep your armies demobilized, they're expensive to maintain.
-Keep scutage tax (tax on your vassals) fairly low, it helps loyalty.
-Don't use elective law for succession unless you are commited to keeping track your strongest vassals.
-You cannot declare war at random, and shouldn't.
-The "library" improvement is nice, though it requires a certain tech level, it will give a small prestige boost and tax gain.
-Tech basically spreads at random. No sliders to worry about, however you can set a "focus" in each field through the realm screen.
-Larger armies win almost every time.
That's very basic though, you may already know it. Good luck, I will try to watch.

Good start...

I think it's both funny and well-written! :D
A pleasant to read!

Well, I'll be waiting exciting for your first chapter...

the_shy_kid: Thanks for the advice! You're right that I had already discovered some of it already - can't help but notice those courtiers and their whining for example - but all help is welcome. One question I have - I've read several times now about focusing on particular advances, but I've not heard much about which advances people actually choose to focus on and why. Any suggestions?

Northern Viking: Thanks! My aim is to write something entertaining while still showing what's happening in the game AND slipping in some real history when possible - a bit of a juggling act! ;)

Solmyr: I hope so!

AKjeldsen: As bluelotus says, it really did happen! :D Unfortunately I didn't discover this gem of Hungarian history until after I'd written and posted the update, but of course I had to include it, so I just edited it in quickly. If I'd discovered it sooner I'm sure the episode could have furnished an entire chapter on its own! :D

bluelotus: Great to have a Hungarian reader on board! :) I hope you will enjoy this slight adaptation of Hungary's history... :p And keep me right with spellings, pronunciations, etc.

Well, I've now started the game, but not enough for an update yet, and anyway I'm off on my travels tomorrow. Will be back in two weeks!

Farquharson said:
bluelotus: Great to have a Hungarian reader on board! :) I hope you will enjoy this slight adaptation of Hungary's history... :p And keep me right with spellings, pronunciations, etc.

Ok , but you must make a glorious history! :D :p And have a nice trip:)

Hey Engel , he made seven Eu2 AAr maybe we can forgive this :D

Military Tech: IMO the most important is siege equipment. As you seem to have set yourself a limit as to where you'll expand, its specially important that your more limited armies will be able to siege quickly. Even Siege 1 is a great advantage for taking counties!

Civilian... I'd probably go with roads and then shift to thatn which I can get more advances from. Roads increase the supply limit of your province and I think that they also help with the spread of tech.

Libraries help there too.

And the final one. Which IDRC (I Don't Recall Correctly :p) just go with whichever you want.

Well, also if you don't mind risking the kinslayer trait (and can get a GOOD spymaster appointed, your intrigue is crap) kill your wife and go for some semi-good future heiress (with decent stats) and then kill her brothers :p

Or you could take advantage of the Kingdom of Hungary disintegrating, and seize the revolting provinces for yourself. Declare Independence, Usurp the Crown, get it.

Or Kill the King :p

Good luck with the Magyars! They're fun to play as with tons of possibilites! Don't worry about getting the hang of the game, just ask us and we can help ;)

Oh excellent fun.

checking the My Big Fat Gujarat Forum....

Hmmm... Hey something new in Farquharson's signature!

A new AAR? What's it with? Pskov? Manchu? Lanka? No it's a CK AAR! What? Well, never played the game, probably never will, but hey, it's Farquharson, so it's bound to be fun and he has lots of difficult names to spell... Letz get this party started :D

Good luck.

An excellent beginning to this, your first CK AAR. I am quite sure it will live up to the Farquharson name. Already it is filled with classic Farquharson lines and humor. Good luck with your goals and as always, I will be following.

The Sloth might actually be a better King than the 13 year old misguided warrior. Looks like it's time to tip another throne. :D

If you do assassinate, be aware that the Kinslayer trait is simply devastating. Loyalty will fall like a stone and there will be nothing you can do to stop it.

Techs depend a lot on your situation. I'd improve weapons or armour before siege tech just because the rewards for going from the zero tech weapons to level one are so large. I like to "invest" in castles, too, because they give you a big boost in manpower.

Power, Schools, and whatever are good choices for the other areas.

Looking forward to more Hungary and hopefully some violence against three toed sloths!

Dunno, for me it's incredibly useful to have the extra siege. Specially if you have limited manpower, you can ussually siege a province and get it before further assistance can descend on you, or a higher tiers steals the siege.

Battling can be taken care by that useless little.... King :p

Yet another EUII reader signing on. You CK guys are in for a treat!

Hehe, I will follow this AAR... :) It will be interesting...
But your first goal - to become the King of Hungary - is not so difficult, Salamon has zero fertility - no chance for a son... :D