• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
With Hata's defeat at Nanning, all significant Japanese resistance on the Chinese mainland had been destroyed. All that remained were a few weak landing points at Shanghai, Dalian and Xiamen which would soon be destroyed by the Soviets.

Leaving three divisions behind to defend the coast, Mao marched the rest of the army north. By November, the Communist army was in position.

SS22.jpg

November 3rd, 1944

Chairman Mao and General Zhu looked over the final preperations.

"Has General Chen Changhao reported in?" asked Mao.

Zhu nodded, "He just moved into position two days ago. You know what that means."

"It means we're ready."

"Now that we're ready," said the general, "Are you ready to tell me what it is you're planning?"

Mao chuckled, "My army will advance with General Liu's 1st Corps from Xi'an to Chengdu. We'll outnumber the Nationalists, so I'm confident our attack will succeed."

Zhu blinked, "Chiang's there, you know."

Mao nodded, "That's another reason it'll succeed. With them cut off, you will advance with General He to Chongqing. Since they'll be surrounded, pending our victory at Chengdu, expect an easier fight than I will."

The general nodded, "And then we'll just roll north."

"And then we'll just roll north," repeated Mao.

"It sounds a bit too easy," muttered Zhu.

"Of course," said Mao with a laugh, "Those not enlightened by our great communist ideal cannot hope to defeat us."

"I hope you're right Mao, for the revolution's sake."

"So do I, general, so do I."

Just a thought:
When playing as the USSR, after annexing the Axis, an allied expeditionary force lands in France and starts liberating all the former allied provinces that weren't axis's national territory, by just marching into my provinces (regardingless if I did have troops there or not)...

Have you tried simply marching into Soviet occupied China??

I could try that later, after I annnex Nationalists China. The thing about this version of CORE is that for some reason, Communist China has no territorial demands on Nationalists or Sinkaing. Maybe once I destroy the Nationalists, I can try.

On November 9th, Communists China declared war on the Nationalists. On November 23rd, Mao's army reached the Nationalist lines. Chiang's army fought desperately until the 27th. Chengdu fell, and a staggering 33 Nationalist divisions were surrounded, accounting for over a third of their entire army.

November 27th, 1944

Mao sat silently in his headquarters tent, reading the casualty reports and the situation from across the front. Japanese forces had attempted to land at Bobai, only to be butchered by Communist reinforcements. Today had been a great victory, and Chiang's tyrannical rule over China looked as though it would soon be at an end.

General Liu stepped inside the tent and quickly saluted.

Mao idly returned the salute, "Have you found General Chen yet?"

Liu nodded, "He was about to move back north to Xi'an when I managed to locate him. He's waiting outside now."

"Bring him in," Mao said angrily.

Liu stepped back out and returned a moment later with General Chen Yi in tow.

"That is all, General Liu," said Mao.

Liu glanced at General Chen before leaving the two alone.

Mao sighed, putting his reports aside, "Do you recall what my orders were, General Chen?"

Chen avoided Mao's eyes, "I was ordered to hold the line at Xi'an while the rest of the army attacked Chengdu."

"So why is it that two thirds of your corps is here with you, instead of defending Xi'an?"

Chen hesitated before responded, "I felt that my forces would be better put to use ensuring a critical victory here than at Xi'an."

"And why is that?" asked Mao, as if speaking to an errant child.

Sweat began appearing on Chen's brow, "Because Xi'an was and still is in no danger of being attacked and the offensive here would possibly have failed if I had not marched my corps to assist."

Mao sighed, "So you decided to disregard my orders and possibly endangered the entire war because you want more glory and presitge."

Chen was shocked, "Chairman, I did not say that."

"I know you didn't," retorted Mao, "But even a Nationalist could figure that out."

Chen remained silent. Mao stood up and began pacing around the general, "General Chen, since your disobediance helped us with this critical victory, I will be overlooking it this time. However," said Mao, pointing at Chen, "if you again disregard your orders and jepordize the war, I will remove you from command of your corps, permantely."

The finality of Mao's words rung in Chen's ears. Without a word, he turned and left Mao's tent.

Mao shook his head, "There are more important things to worry about than over-zealous generals," thought Mao.

SS23.jpg

SS24.jpg

Following the victory at Chengdu, Mao marched the 1st Army west to Wutunghliao in hopes of relinking with the soldiers defending Tibet. On January 2nd, the 1st Army engaged two Nationalists divisions. The Communists pushed the Nationalists back and the province fell on the 9th. However, Nationalist forces had managed to sieze Litang and Patkaglik, keeping the Communist forces in Tibet cut off and unsupplied..

It had now been over a month since the Nationalist forces at Chongqing and time for General Zhu's 2nd Army to destroy the pocket. On January 11th, Communist forces hit the pocket. Starving, encircled, demoralized, encircled, and poorly led, the Nationalist army was obliterated in only three hours. In total, 22 Nationalist divisions were destroyed, over 1/4 of the Nationalist army.

SS26.jpg

SS25.jpg

Now the next phase of the invasion could proceed. The Communist forces would push north to Wudu and Langzhou, thus cementing their victory over Chiang Kai-Shek's Nationalist regime.

Febuary 30th, 1945

Chiang Kai-Shek looked over the map of the ever shrinking Nationalist territory. The China he had spent his life building was collapsing before his eyes, pressured from both within and without.

"General Hsu's army was finally defeated earlier today," said one of Chiang's generals.

In fury, Chiang slammed his fists down onto the map, "Fools! We outnumber them over 2 to 1!"

One of Chiang's other generals stammered, "But sir...."

Chiang silenced the man, "No more excuses! Find a way so we can win this war!"

The generals were silent. They had no answer.

Blind rage filled Chiang, drawing his pistol and firing blindly into the map. The others recoiled in terror and shock, "I am surrounded by incompetence!" he yelled. Beyond disgust, Chiang barged out of the room, pushing aside anyone who was in his way.

After minutes of charging blindly away from the room, Chiang was alone. Mentally exhausted, Chiang slid down the side of the wall until he sat on the ground, "My China is being drowned in its own corruption," he thought.

Chiang withdrew into his thoughts, "Everything has gone wrong. I can't keep this up much longer. I tried to turn China into a glorious, modern nation. I tried to restore China's glory, to restore it's dignity. But now everything is doomed."

With a great sigh, Chiang picked himself up off the ground. "China may be doomed," he whispered, "but I will stay with it until the end."

SS27.jpg

April 25th, 1945

Mao peered through his binoculars, watching the distant Nationalist army retreat.

Lowering the binoculars, Mao turned to General Zhu standing beside him, "Something's different now, General."

"What do you mean?"

Mao shook his head, "I'm not sure. The air itself feels different. Something has changed about the Nationalists. Chiang has changed somehow."

Zhu chuckled, "His strategic talents seem to be the same."

Mao sighed, "I'm serious, Zhu."

Shocked, the general composed himself, "I'm afraid I won't be of much help. My talents are best suited for the battlefield, not the mind."

"They fight," Mao paused, "They fight with a desperation now. Like a wounded animal cornered by a predator."

"You mean...."

"They'll fight to the end."

"You mean the Nationalists will still fight, even though we've captured Lanzhou?"

Mao looked the the general forlorned, "I believe so. They cannot surrender, and they cannot give in. Chiang will never allow his reign to end, as long as he has a breath of life within him."

Zhu stood silently a minute. Thunder boomed in the distance, "The soldiers will not be happy."

Mao sighed, "I do not wish to continue this destructive war against our own people any more than they. But we must do it, for the sake of our home, our families, and ourselves."

"Very well, Chairman," Zhu saluted and left.

Left alone, Mao wept. Wept for those who died, and those still to die.

SS28.jpg

Last edited:
TC Pilot said:
Well, it seems I've run into a problem. I've captured the last of Nationalist China's VPs, yet I can't annex it. Any ideas?

Is there a last Nat province somewhere?? maybe that island in South China?

As the civil war contined, the situation for the Nationalists continued to deteriorate. The first setback occured when Nationalist troops were defeated in Nagqu and forced to retreat north. However, the retreating force was flanked and Patkaglik was liberated by the Communist forces. Against all odds, the Nationalist division fought its way through the Communist line and managed to retreat past the provence back north.

In the northern most regions of the front, 4 Communist divisions under the command of Generals Yeh Ting and Ulanhu attacked the Nationalist divisions in Yinchuan on May 17th. Within two days, the Nationalist forces were forced to retreat across the Huang He River, leaving the entire southern bank of the river under Communist control.

Mao was now presented with two options. He could either send his army across the river after Chiang's defeated army and attack Xining, or shift his army west to attack Golmud from Patkaglik. Mao decided that a decisive victory at Xining would have a much greater effect on the Nationalist position, since controlling the province would threaten to split Chiang's line and the entire country in half.
----------------------------------------------------

Moving towards a more domestic aspect of the Communist nation, the country's industry skyrocketed in productivity. Early in May, Mao had initiated a policy regarding all occupied territories to be immediately integrated into the Communist nation. Having tested this policy succesfully in Tibet, Mao was confident that it would prove decisive in ending any further support for Chiang's regime.

The plan worked, more than even Mao's ambitious vision. Industrial capacity and productivity almost quadrupled. Dissent against the war dissapeared. With the newfound resources and industrial might, the budget was poured into modernizing China's army. Seeing the Soviet Union's easy destruction of Japan's invasion army, Mao wanted an army that could stand up against Western imperialism and any lingering threats of Japan's military.

SS28.jpg

Now to actually explain all that. I sent my saved game file to Steel so that Communist China had claims on all of China. In the version of CORE I'm using right now, Communist China has no territorial claims because of certain AI problems that occured in the past. Now it seems that I can start taking provinces back from the Soviets and the industry in occupied provinces is no longer taking a huge hit

I've also think I know why I can't annex Nationalist China. It's either because the Soviets control most of the country, for because Sinkiang is a Nationalist puppet.

Last edited:
My guess would be that, since the Soviets hold the capital and most of the VPs, they are the only ones who can annex them. And, since they aren't at war, they can't annex.

Now that you can take Chinese territory from the Soviets, Pilot, you should be able to march into VP provinces and annex Nationalist China.

BTW: Sinkiang has nothing to do with N. China being unable to annex. As the Japanese, I was able to annex China in CORE 0.82 despite the fact Sinkiang was a puppet. After the puppet master is destroyed, the puppet is freed, but will still be at war with you (you could sue for peace, but I know you want to reclaim China's rightful land :D ).

Great job!

TC Pilot said:
Well, it seems I CAN'T retake Soviet controlled provinces....

If you have territorial claims, can't you demand them from Russia?

The 18 divisions under Mao's command crossed the river and hit Xining on June 16th. Even with their mobility hampered by the river crossing and being slightly outnumbered, the Communist army prevailed. The Nationalist army was sent fleeing from the province in only 5 hours. The morale of Chiang's army was shattered. It was now only a matter of time before Mao completely destroyed the Nationalist regime.

After resting and reorganizing for several days, Mao sent 13 divisions under General Zhu to attack the province Zhangye, hoping to cut off the northern portion of the Nationalist line. As Zhu's forces were on the march, General Yeh was ordered to march north and sieze Baotou, which would be cut off pending a Communist victory in Zhangye.

On August 5th, Zhu's army attacked Zhangye and the hastily prepared defenses of 7 Nationalist divisions which had been haphazardly sent to reinforce a paltry 2 division garrison. Once again, the Communists carried the day, routing the entire Nationalist army in two hours.

With news of the victory, Mao ordered the 3rd and 4th Corps, which had been defending Lanzhou, to march north to join the bulk of the army. The addition of these 6 divisions convinced Mao that an attack on the last Nationalist stronghold at Anxi, gaurded by 31 divisions, could be captured.

CC29.jpg

August 22nd, 1945

General Yeh Ting watched as Nationalist prisoners of war were marched down the road to Yanan. Demoralized, the soldiers were harmless, even though they outnumbered their captors 10 to 1.

"Baotou is ours," he whispered.

October 1st, 1945

General He Long watched the battle unfold in front of him. The wave of Communist troops surged through the Nationalist lines. The battle was over before it even began.

The general turned to an aide standing at attention behind him, "Send word to Chairman Mao," he paused, "Golmud is ours."

October 6th, 1945

Chiang Kai-Shek had finally managed to fall asleep in his command tent in the early hours of the morning. Suddenly, off in the distance, trumpets began to blow. The sound carried easily across the barren Gobi Desert. Startled awake, Chiang sprang up and hurried outside. Before he could react, he collided with a Nationalist soldier headed the other way. Both men fell to the ground. Before Chiang could stop him, the man had gotten back up and started to run again.

Chiang looked all around, seeing his army running in terror. Officers yelled and screamed at the soldiers to stand their ground, some resorting to shooting the soldiers. But the men kept running

Enraged, Chiang began cursing the men, "Cowards!" he yelled, "Stand and fight!"

Artillery batteries opened fire in the distance. Explosions ripped through the hastily constructed camp. Now even the officers were running, leaving Chiang alone. An artillery shell landed in front of Chiang, sending dirt and fire into the air, knocking the man onto the ground.

Resigned to his fate, Chiang did not bother to get up.

"Let the earth swallow me up and end my torture," yelled Chiang. More artillery shells exploded nearby.

"Come on! Finish me now!" he yelled. The trumpets grew closer, and the Communist war cries could faintly be heared in the distance.

Suddenly, Chiang was pulled up from the ground. Two men wearing the uniforms of his disgraced and fleeing army helped the general to his feet.

"General, you must come with us before it's too late," said one of the men, pulling Chiang along with them.

"Leave me be!" Chaing cried.

"General, you must go!"

"Save youselves, there's nothing left for me," Chiang was delirious now.

Despite Chiang's protests, the soldiers carried and dragged the general out of the camp and away from the advancing Communist army.

Hours later and many miles in Sinkiang, the soldiers had stopped to rest. Chiang sat alone muttering to himself.

One of the soldiers walked up to Chiang, "Are you alright, sir?" he asked.

Chiang looked up at the man dazed and confused, "Why did you save me?"

The man sighed ruefully, "It is our duty to see to it you survive. The rest of the army may not share our belief, but we cannot allow ourselves to be as disgraced as them."

Chiang stared up at the man silently, still in shock.

The soldier smiled and nodded, "Live to fight another day, sir" he said, "We're not out of this yet."

SS30.jpg

October 16th, 1945

The 18 divisions in Anxi were ready to march again. With the Nationalists shattered, left to rot fleeing further into the desert, the Communist army would advance north to topple the warlords who had for so long held control over this region.

A meeting had been called for all the generals in the area. Only He Long and Chen Yi were not present.

Mao sat at the head of the table, "General Zhu, your army will have the honor of advancing straight to Urumqi. All the other armies will follow along his flank."

Zhu looked up, shocked, "Chairman, I mean no disrespect, but perhaps you should lead the attack. Your skill will..."

Mao stopped him, "General, there's no need to be modest anymore. I am confident the army will preform as well as it did against the Nationalists. Even outnumbered, we could defeat them, and we're not outnumbered here."

General Liu spoke up, "But why directly at the city? I don't see the point of charging directly at their strongest forces."

Mao nodded, "True, but the city has the last Soviet airbase. Which means that if Chiang and the other Nationalist leaders want any hope of escaping China, it would have to be through their."

Liu nodded, "The only way out."

Realization suddenly dawned on Zhu. 8 years ago, Zhu had missed the chance to kill Chiang Kai-Shek. Zhu had sworn the next time they met, Chiang would not be as lucky. Now Mao was giving him the chance to make good on his promise.

General Chen coughed and began speaking, "What opposition are we facing, exactly?"

Mao responded, "10 divisions worth. We don't have any reliable information on the quality of those forces though. They could be trained soldiers, or they could be conscripted peasents."

"Either way, they don't stand a chance," scoffed Liu.

Mao laughed, "I tend to agree with you on that. We haven't had any serious battles since Lanzhou fell."

An awkward silence fell over the generals until Mao finally spoke, "Well, that's all for now. We march in a few hours. Good luck."

The generals began to leave. Just as Zhu was exiting the tent, he glanced back at Mao. The two locked eyes, and Mao silently nodded, his expression grim. A shiver ran down Zhu's spine.

"It's time to end this madness," thought Zhu.