• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A Dreamer's Diary

Diary of Eystein Teiturson I of Iceland, son of Teitur Isleifurson, son of Isleifur, Duke of Iceland, Count of Austisland, Baron of Hrisey, head of House Haukadalur.

1st of January, 1077,
Dear Diary,
writing my full name and titles sucks! It always takes so long. Writing in general takes ages, but Mom says I have to, in both languages. But she is right, I am 8 years old now, and I need to man up and become a real Viking. Arnvid, who usually is in Cairo, came home to mourn with our family over my dad. I hope dad is in a better place now, either in Valhall, or Paradise, or is Valhall in Paradise? Anyway, diary, Arnvid came home to Iceland to tell me that he is appointed regent and helper of the Duke of Iceland, which is, funny enough, me. Now I'm not like... surprised or anything. I always knew one day I'd be. But you now, when you're 8, you don't think about these things. One day, you hit your brother over the head with a wooden sword so that he starts stuttering, the next day you're actually the Duke of Iceland. And that's a huge land! I haven't even seen where it ends yet!
Arnvid said, I have to share the Island with Ulv. Seriously, I don't care that much, because we said, we would continue dad's war (he declared war on some guy in Ireland) of Exclamation or whatever it is so soon I will have another title, Jarl of Breifne. It took grandpa AND dad to make up... Sorry I am not supposed to say make up... to find a justified reason to go to war in Ireland. Actually I heard Torgil, the ginger lollard Fraticello, sorry I am supposed to call him “Court Chaplain,” say that actually, the af Haukaladurs should have a claim on all of Ireland. He didn't understand when I told him even though it sounds alike, it's Iceland that we hold a claim, and not Ireland. I told him we went to war because the Jarl of Breifne exclameted, or exclaimacated or excommunicalated, and only Vikings are allowed to EXCLAIM!!! Actually, exclaiming is a very common practice among us Vikings: We're supposed when we raid, when we ride, and when we wake up, especially when there was much mead involved the night before.
Anyway, I wanted to talk about Arnvid. He came from Cairo here and said he was regent, and then left, calling me a smartass and “Eynstein” - whatever that's supposed to mean – and someone who's able to handle things myself, despite my young age.
It's true, I know a lot of things. I know that if you keep your ships raised by the owners, namely the fishers and merchants, you owe them money. Let's say you owe them 1,2 pieces of gold a month , but you only make 1 piece of gold a month, then you won't have enough to afford hakarl, and all the other nice treats. So that's what I did first, I gave them their ships back so I won't have to pay for it. Mhhhhmmmm, hakarl, me likes!

49851013.png

2nd of January 1077
Dear diary, it was no wonder I pulled that trick with the ships there. People really think I'm smart with numbers. Not that I'm not good fighting with swords and axes and stuff, no worries. But you know what? Grandpa was a real fighter, dad was a real fighter (I think...) and that didn't help them much in gaining back their claim on Ireland. You got to be smart, too! And that's what I am! Many think I am promising, more than dad and grandpa together. I don't know about that. Grandpa always said, that I was good with numbers, but, more than that, a hardworking, steadfast young man in general. Said, this would make a real Viking of me, someone who wouldn't order people around, but lead by example. Combined with my sense of moderation I am supposed do great things!

72977500.png

3rd of January 1077
Today I had a map of Ireland given to me, and our Marshall drew our troops in there. I was quite surprised: How could we lose the war? I didn't see it being possible. It was SO funny: First he wanted to paint a bigger soldier for us and a smaller one for Breifne, so I would know we had more troops. And I was all like “dude, seriously? I know my numbers!”
He looked flabbergasted but proud, I'd say. Called me little Eynstein, too. I don't get it. Anyway, so that's the situation.

90356741.png

19th of February 1077
Dear Diary, I got word back from Arnvid. It's nice hearing from him, he's my regent. Didn't figure out yet what a regent is good for, but what do I care. All these titles, you know. People think they's somebody when they got some titles.
He sent us blueprints of rams and stuff. It looked SOOOOO special, like, a perfect drawing of war machines!! I loved it!!! I like war machines and ships and stuff. Nothing new from the guys in Breifne. I wonder if they got some hakarl down there too? I doubt it. Or if, not as good as the one we had as a treat after lamb-head-soup today.

34526045.png

4th of March 1077
Oh my diary! Great news!! But first, the boring stuff: It was time for us to examine our troop strength. The Marshall is in Ireland, and sent me some reports back. When my chancellor Orm (what a cute name!!) wanted to explain to me what was going on, I was all like “I KNOW ALREADY!” like shouting and stuff. Then I apologized and was really sorry I shouted, but people here don't realize that I'm not 6 anymore. It's just three more years and two hands won't be enough to show how old I am... I'm already practicing to use my toes too, but, darn it, I'm not deft enough for such tricks.
Oh, the good news, dear diary! Even though dad didn't see him anymore, my fourth brother was born! His name, honoring grandpa, is Isleifur! Mom was really happy, but exhausted, and also somehow sad. I'm happy that I have another brother here. Ulv went to Vestisland and has his own court. I was really sad about that, but people here say that's what's happening when people die, and since dad didn't change that law I will not see him as much anymore. That has, by the way, good sides too, since Ulv got stronger than me by now and he knows sooo much about wielding swords and stuff... Together I am sure we can conquer all of Ireland!
Sometimes I am sorry that he went to Austisland, and not Finn. Don't get me wrong, dear diary, I like having Finn here. But the older he gets, the more of a mean fart he becomes. Maybe Isleifur will soften him up a bit. Mom said we're so cute together and she got a painter to do a picture of us. She wants to hang it in the Militia Hall because she's so proud of us, but for whatever reason I heard the chancellor say “real Vikings don't do that”.

71529553.png

kidvikings2125840i.jpg

(I am the second one from the left)

Some day in June 1077 can't remember which one cause I'm totally hyper and excited cause today the report of the Marshall came home and we won, and we took Dromahair which is like you know basically the Hrisey of Breifne and like we have our troops there and like the Marshall wrote soon the rest of the province will be ours and then we're going to press for subjugation of their earl – whatever that is AND then I'll be the first of my family to have a Jarldom in Ireland! OH MY GOSH!!!! We, we, we, SO EXCITED!!! We so excited! We're gonna have a ball today!

52640867.png

1st of July 1077
Today is a sad day because my nanny died. I talked with mom, and since she has more to teach me about numbers and stuff she said I don't need a nanny anymore. She'll do that job from now on. Actually she makes me speak Hungarian with her, but I must confess I prefer Icelandic. Don't ask me why. It seems to me, that sometimes dad and grandpa didn't even know how to write “Icelandic” right. So I guess I just want to make up for their shortcoming.

53825569.png

Fall 1077
Dear Diary, I was lazy writing stuff down, but honestly, that much didn't happen. Birthday was nice, I got a fishing rod, a real knife and – believe it or not – a leather helmet!!! Can you imagine that? I love my mommy!!
They're still fighting in Ireland and I get the reports. There are less and less soldiers, but enough to take the holdings, the Marshall said. I am glad, because daddy and grandpa were fighting a lot over their plans there and stuff. It's nice seeing that their plans finally come true. Mom keeps saying it took grandpa and his baubles to bring her here, dad and his depression to make her seek her happiness in accounting (I heard though grandpa learned in his late years to be good at that too) and her sons to make her proud. I'm totally like: Whatever, I just wanna rule Ireland AND Iceland!!

43221068.png

27th of September 1077
Dear Diary, today Orm gave me a whole binder with papers. After looking through them, I realized what they were: Old and lost documents of our ancestors' claim on Tyrconell, the county right north of Breifne. It would be so great to own that stretch of land, too, since it would give us our own harbor on that island!
Diary, I have something to say that I only can tell you, since it makes me really ashamed and stuff. I think that binder and stuff... Wasn't... Like... Real. Don't get me wrong! It looked all real. It was real parchment, real wax, real ink. But the things it said... Somehow it seems like everyone knows we're not rightly claiming that place, but they just go with it so they can make more money, land, mead and stuff.

39365784.png

30th of October 1077
Bah, diary, why! Today was a good and then a really bad day.
First, I got the news from the Marshall. He said, we took Kells and there was only one more holding to take until we could press Breifne into a forced peace with me as their new ruler.
The bad news is: The Jarl (they call him Earl) of Breifne is not exclamated anymore. So our troops basically... Can go home.
Diary I can't tell this to anybody else, but you know what? Our dad was always so down and stuff, nothing really worked the way he wanted to. I think that's his late lesson for me: Son, things sometimes go really awry.
Dad! If you can read this: I won't make your mistakes! Don't you worry! I'll outgrow you! And very soon so, if I may say! And grandpa too, for that matter! Don't you all worry!

richtig.png

31st of October 1077
I decided to leave the troops where they are right now and see if we can attack Tyrconell by surprise. My whole court is against it, they say it looks so savage if we do that. I say: We're darn Vikings. I'm not loud and big enough yet to oppose them correctly, mead drinking, meat eating, greedy being guys... Today Ginger Torgil became my new regent. He said he wants to make especially sure that my spiritual guidance is taken care of. I said I'm a catholic and that's what I want to stay for the rest of my life. His eyes glared at me but he didn't say anything that I could understand, just some mumbling and weird signs with his hands. Strange indeed!

11de.png

3rd of November 1077
Torgil will not like this, but I for once am quite happy with this. I had to really keep it together, barely could I withhold an irksome smile, when news from my old regent Arnvid came home. Yes, it is time to do something about more efficient church taxes, and I don't care if Torgil likes it or not. I guess this is Arnvid's revenge for not being regent anymore. I can see him honestly, how he is stretching out his tongue, making faces towards Torgil. It's hard to imagine that adult men would plot like this to gain a child's – mine – attention and benevolence.

13d.png

24th of December
Dear Diary. Merry Christmas to us all. This is the time that we celebrate our redeemer's birthday. And in this castle, I have to say: A lot of people need redemption. Diary, you don't know all the things that go on here, behind my back, and I don't even want to tell you all about it. Today, someone – he or she shall remain unmentioned – brought to me the idea to revoke Vestisland from my brother Ulv.
It was so good to see him though! All the family was there, we 5 brothers:
Ulv has grown, and I have to admit that his direct, overly honest ways sometimes make being around him uncomfortable, but still, he's my brother. Ever since I hit him with that wooden sword, he's stuttering. I am really sorry about that. I heard people say though that he will be an excellent warrior and general one day.
Finn is becoming more and more mean. When he was little, he would make everybody laugh, and he had such a forbearing, nice attitude. He's still very humble and respectful, but at the same time he can be so... harsh.
Oystein is a bit like Wasa-bread: Kind of dry and blank, but you don't want to miss it.
Well, and little Isleifur is the star. He's a cute baby and gets everything he wants... Rotten spoiled!
Today we had such good Ptarmigan with cream sauce and jelly, mhhhmm....

14dy.png

27th of December 1077
It's so good to have a chat with them and be with them, just to play, and run around, and build snow-vikings. Mom says I got way more patient especially with the little ones than before. I know it better, I just plan my revenge from a longer hand, but, well, better she thinks good of me, I'd say.
It's New Years soon, but instead of celebrations, we prepare for war against Tyrone... Sometimes I'm just like: Why can't I play with the others all the time?

15dl.png

Dear Diary
I'm really grumpy at mom. I'm barely 10 years old, and she is already deciding whom I shall marry or not. When I shouted at her I realized: I wasn't talking Islandic, I was talking Hungarian with her! I wonder sometimes, what I am. Icelandic, or Hungarian? How do my brothers see themselves? I would really like to know. It makes me think about conquering Ireland...
What makes you, what you are?
Who gave birth to you?
Where you grew up?
I saw that my little brother was born by my mother, I didn't see the birth, but I saw how big she was first, and later not anymore... What is he? Is he Hungarian because dad wasn't alive when he was born?

16d.png

9th of March 1080
Dear Diary. I enclosed a map that I got from a merchant from a place to the west, called Vinland. I don't know where it is, it isn't even on the map he gave me. Anyway, I know now where Sweden is, and Norway and Denmark, and Estonia and Lituania and the Holy Roman Empire of German Nations. It is important that I learn about these countries and where they are. The merchant showed me where in Sweden the people are fighting. It makes me think, too: Will there be war when I die? Will my own children one day fight against Ulvs? With real swords?
That would be terrible....

17d.png

Stay tuned for the war in Ireland – will it finally happen? Will young Eystein – himself quite a little Einstein - gain control of the first Iceland Irish county? Find out in the next episode of the Icelandic Mountains of Madness!

Last edited:
Here and reading - this AAR definitely needs more attention!

Also, it is quite funny to see the changes on the Norwegian throne through authority notifications.

Who won the war over England?

And finally...love 'building snow vikings' :D

snow+viking.jpg

Edit: The Excommunication war won't bring you control over the county, only forces the current ruler to abdicate.

Last edited:
The cutest Duke this side of the Isles, I'd say!
I'll let him know, but ya know, they grow so fast...

Here and reading - this AAR definitely needs more attention!

Also, it is quite funny to see the changes on the Norwegian throne through authority notifications.

Who won the war over England?

And finally...love 'building snow vikings' :D

snow+viking.jpg

Edit: The Excommunication war won't bring you control over the county, only forces the current ruler to abdicate.
I'll tell you more about the war in England tonight in my next episode. Thank you so much for the picture and the enouragement.
On excommunication-wars: As you can tell, I have not mastered the game mechanics yet completely. :)

Gotta love when the casus belli is invalid...

Well, it's part of the game. :)

Thank you all so much for the comments, it's huge encouragement!

EDIT: Update tomorrow. Just finished the screenshots, now I'm too tired. :)

Last edited:
Adolescent Ambitions​

Dear Diary,
today is my 16th birthday. I was not nice to you, did not keep you up to date, and did not get you out of my secret hiding place among my dirty clothes. But you know as much as me that this was probably the best place for you to be hidden. Anyway, let me update you on what happened during the last several years. Oh, and before I forget it: I got my own real sword for birthday, a full set of armor and as much head-cheese as I could eat. Yeah, there's no cheese in it, but as much lamb's head as possible. Soooo tasty! The party was really nice, I didn't have my first mead, since I had that some time ago, but some of that special water they call uisce beathe in Ireland... I tell you, dear diary, it was so strong I had to eat some whale blubber to have something decent in my mouth. Karin, who I grow fond of more each day, had to laugh so bad, she spilled the lamb-head-soup all over her dress! What a party!

Well, of course I want to start by saying what happened to me personally during the years I didn't write much.
Living in a country as rugged as this, full of fountains of boiling water, fumaroles with sulfurous ashes and even fire spitting mountains makes one grow tough. I can't tell if this or the intrigues here at the court – more on that later – gave me that... taste for the blood of my enemies. I can't wait to extent my fist southward to those wimpy and whiny and weak southlings... Be they Irish, Scottish, English, I don't care. I shall rule...
… Not that I will be impatient. Oh no, dear diary, I will take the time to plot and do what is necessary before jumping headlessly into adventures of no gain. I am content with where I am right now, but the plans for the future are laid out clearly to me.
Two more times did my mother try to tell me I was Hungarian. I am not. It breaks my heart to tell her this, but she, as well as I, has to understand: By blood I might be bound to those parts of the world, but not by spirit. I am as Icelandic as any single one of my warriors. This island needs me, the people here need my leadership... I can't stab them in the back and become someone I am not.

21e.png

Anyway, dear diary. I shall also tell you of the war in Tyrconnell. I have understood, now that I am not as innocent and childish anymore, that claims like that can be fabricated. Darn it, diary, I am not sure how many of those wars on the continent are really fought for just reasons (are there just reasons for war? I leave questions like that to my court chaplain and those with time for petty talk like that), but ours wasn't. I try to accept that, knowing also that it's the best for whoever lives to live under my rule.

87866047.png

As for my aunt, this is a picture that was drawn of her when she was 6. I was … What... 13 at that time? Can you imagine, dear diary, that I have such a young aunt? This world sometimes seems so crazy to me...

94903565.png

Back to the war in Tyrconell. The first battle of Raphoe was not too difficult. I was smart enough to have the troops landed in Tyrone. I was also... Ah, people shall say that Eystein of Iceland is guilty of many a sin, but boasting shall not be among them. I have to admit: My Marshall, of whom I basically learned everything about the art of war, had that idea. He said usually our tactic would be to land on the shore, hit heavy and hard, take what we can, and leave before any huge army can draw close. Here we wanted to conquer land, so we landed in a bay in a neighbouring county and made our way by foot. It payed of well to follow this tactic.

87443417.png

Meanwhile at home, I was faced with another change: My former regent and spymaster was... well, appointed regent again. Not that I relied much on a regent at all at those times – I was already over the age of 13, I believe – but for legal reasons I had to have one. If this was the last we heard of Torgil remains yet to be seen. What I know though is that he left the court and lives herding a flock of sheep by the foothills of a glacier. Someone told me, he baptized them Miaphysite. May God have mercy with his poor soul.

30485207.png

I was also industrious. While the men were away, I wanted to have a new village near the castle zoned out. It is mandatory for them to live close to here, and I want them to benefit the realm economically. Many of them brought home quite some plunder from Ireland, and now they live here as rich men and the whole country benefits from it.

45285954.png

There is one event of my childhood that I still remember very well. When grandpa's pony – her name was öfgafullur ofbeldi – died, I did refuse to ride another horse (back then I used to say “forever, nevereverever will I ride a different horse” - oh childish innocence!). My mother got me a very nice wooden horse that I used to “ride”. When one day I found that Arnvid, my regent, was standing on the balcony to oversee the construction of the new village, I beheld that someone (probably Torgil?) had attached a piece of paper to Arnvid's bottom. Drawn on it was a target circle. I took aim with my little lance, prepared my wooden mare and wanted to charge this worthy target full speed ahead when a sudden burst of either sympathy or intelligence made me think twice. It's hard to imagine that back then I decided to be this careful so the realm, my brothers and the people of my future conquests would still have their rightful and god-given-leader.

45049886.png

Well, that's that, and now back to the war. It wasn't all that interesting. I was only there for the last bit of the campaign, when the Marshall knew we had already won. Matters of precaution, he said, but well, in all honesty, my strength is more fighting with financial means (money can be the sharpest and deadliest of all weapons if you know how to use it, one of the last lessons grandpa had for me). The reports of victory after victory drifted in, and soon I landed on Ireland myself.

10ev.png

When our invincible army finally had besieged his last castle, Earl Aed, for whom I have true respect, finally abdicated and declared our claim to be rightful (back then, things like that had left a really bad aftertaste in my mouth). But it's the best for the people there if they have a ruler with my capacities.

11eq.png

After this I had a short look on my new vassals. For the first time in the history of Iceland, we ruled over a real, Pope-approved © Bishopric. Funny enough I started at this time to realize that I am more than an older brother to Ulv. I am his liege lord, and it is good like that. That did not make him like me more, but at least family ties were stronger than my reputation with the other, newer vassasls.

12e.png

Back then, all my brothers had some kind of beef with me. I learned early, that a true ruler needs to live with it and love his people anyway. Finn especially was a good friend and my favorite brother when I was younger, especially thanks to him just being so cute. But I think after he turned 6 or so he changed and it is also from him that I learned to rule with such a strong hand. When I realized the path of hard-heartedness which he was on, I appointed him a new nanny. As you can tell by the picture she was the nicest lady on our court.

13eg.png

In the winter of 1082 I noticed something:

14eu.png

Someone took money from the ducal coffers, and nobody even told me. Back then I didn't know what to do and I had no idea how to find out who was it. Today I know that some time in the dungeons will make everyone speak. Who knows how much money was lost during these days, money that I don't even know of.

I had the suspicion that my chancellor was involved in this, so I had him go back to Ireland do more of his dirty work. If the people in Tyrone imprisoned or hung him over this cajoling business, the better! I would have probably gotten my money back.

15eq.png

Later in 1083, something really extraordinary happened. The queen of Norway, who is now my own mother in law, showed up with Karin, my wife. They showed up for reasons that I don't know anymore, something like “see how the colony is doing” and “reclaiming what's ours” - no idea what she was talking about. Like Karin, she's a real genius, and I guess genius and madness sometimes is close together.
Anyway, I want to tell you about Karin!
Not only is she the prettiest and most appealing girl, she also is smart, has a tongue made of silver and knows how to support me. When we rode out (on my new steed, named sætur hestur) I took her on my favorite trail, by the spitting geyser, through the little creek, past Ahorfandi's barn and then along the coast back to the castle. I liked her a lot, and gave her a little peck on the cheek behind that old barn. Ah, sweet romance of youth! We're so blessed, but I shall not talk prematurely.

16e.png

At the beginning of 1084, money disappeared again. This time I knew who took it: Arnvid, that Icelandic prankster and mischief-maker! I tried to to imprison him, but people didn't take me serious. They said I was acting childish and that my own regent would know better what to do with money than I. For the time being, I let them talk like that. Now, that I came of age, they tremble in fear and dare not even make such a foolish proposition.

18e.png

In England, King Robert I, the Cruel, son of William of Normandy, rules the land. Well, ruling the land is a bit much said for a country torn by inner warfare as much as the country of the Angles and Saxons. The Norman king, it seems, owns more secure lands in France these days than in Britannia. The civil war started two years ago and now, at my 16th birthday, still is far from being over. I don't know it if comes from the bad reputation as a sinner in many respects or just by the Norman yoke , but he seems to have a hard time maintaining his rulership. I like his hard and … well, some call him cruel … ways of handling things and find them highly inspirational. What he did to the unity of that country though is a joke, still it reminds me to have a firm grip on the newly conquered regions in Ireland.

19e.png

Well, dear diary, as this report comes to an end, I wanted to share with you that I followed my financial talents and became a fortune builder, that's at least what my family said I'd be when they saw me making decisions of the monetary kind. In my opinion there is nothing more Viking than collecting a huge treasure!

21e.png

Today is also another holiday: For the ease of remembering our anniversary, and because we had to wait this long, I married my beautiful Karin. May she give Island many genial heirs!

21e.png

[/IMG]​

I don't know if I will continue writing in you, dear diary, because I think I will be really busy in the next couple of years. So I wanted to end here by sketching a rough draft of what I'm looking like. As you can see, I am clean-shaven right now. This is due to a bet that I had going on with my brother Finn. As long as I haven't conquered all of Ireland, I shall not let it grow back! Hopefully I will still have hair by then, only time will tell!

23e.png

Will young Eystein finally write something funnier again? How many children will he have? Will he ever be allowed to let his hair grow back – or was that just a ruse to distract from his total and utter lack of hair on his head? Read more about it on the next installment!!

it seems that maybe at the future Iceland could be the center of the Norse Empire considering the culture shift and the constant civil wars of the North !Additionally I could not imagine that Iceland could do something of notive but you proved me wrong ! Maybe a serie of generations of genius Norwegians could dominate the world !

Oh come on, marrying geniuses? That's the pet hate of mine ;).

Also, Robert's zero diplo could provide some insight into the situation.

Hey guys! Thank you so much. I could tell that the last installment wasn't as funny, but that was also due to a lack of stuff happening. :) I need to play a bit more ahead, but I can tell you there is some interesting stuff happening.

Also I think this wall of pictures is too much. Would you say I should probably change the picture/text-ratio?

This was the first time my wife didn't burst into frantic laughter after reading it so I just want to make sure that my quality management is up to par. :)

Hey guys! Thank you so much. I could tell that the last installment wasn't as funny, but that was also due to a lack of stuff happening. :) I need to play a bit more ahead, but I can tell you there is some interesting stuff happening.

Also I think this wall of pictures is too much. Would you say I should probably change the picture/text-ratio?

This was the first time my wife didn't burst into frantic laughter after reading it so I just want to make sure that my quality management is up to par. :)

I, for myself, started reading this AAR as it was one of those with less text and more pictures so...;).

Yeah it is pretty common to have imbeciles or slow kids even with two geniuses .....We are eagerly waiting for the interesting stuff :cool:

imho the best AAR's are not the ones speaking of countless success and conquest, but the ones with the humor, pain and failure. I for one hope that we will see a Stark Raving Mad Icelandic Viking, a suicidal one, or even a total imbecile! It makes such great stories!

@ OP -> Keep going with this, I hope for more!

Thanks Athalcor. I shall also go back to a funnier style I think, especially after seeing your March of Austria... A hilarious masterpiece!!

Well, thank you but you had better read it whole before you start to use such superlatives :D.

Bombastic Babes​

Let's start this by having a look at why England is this messed up.

11145231.png

Well, fighting on that many fronts at once is probably not a smart idea, even if you're the king of England. He has more enemies than I ate portions of smoked shark innards in the last year – and believe me, I ate quite a lot of that Icelandian delicacy.

Back to a more serious topic. The ducal bed in Hrisey needs to be replaced. “Why” you might ask.
Have a look at what the duchess and I did in the last 11 years:

91634258.png

That's right. That's a flippin' girl-boy-girl-boy-girl-boy-girl-combo all in a row, with a tendency towards more. The duchess and I really let ourselves go over the last couple of years. But I'm getting too far ahead of myself now.

It all started with the crisis of the Marshall, or as we say here in Iceland “lítið typpið kreppu”. There wasn't even ONE single person available that was able to do the job. I knew that sooner or later, I had to continue the war, but there just wasn't anyone who was able – including myself – to get the mission accomplished.

94466959.png

Not that I expected to get a claim soon on another Irish county. Of course my stupid chancellor is wasting time and money in Tyrone so I will have enough time to -

68077025.png

Well, that's a big ol' nevermind. He's more able than you (or I) would expect him to be.
After a serious consultation of my Marshall – looking back I should not have chosen an Irish Marshall for the job - I raised the levies and sent the men south.

45333116.png

The war went... Well, let me say it like this: We beat the other guys. But at the end we did not even have enough soldiers to besiege the walls. I forged a cunning plan: Such a small county like Tyrone would not be able to replenish the losses as fast as a growing, strong duchy as Iceland.

20870015.png

So I brought the men home and let them refuel their war batteries. I was meanwhile dealing with my now adult brothers and tried to get them some solid wives:

24085417.png

Yes you are seeing right: I got each and every one of them a friggin' princess. Princess as in “a king's daughter”. That's England, Denmark and Ruthenia right under my control there. On top of that I got a foothold into the Eastern Roman Empire by marrying off my rather attractive aunt, who is, if I'm allowed to remind you, younger than I, into a Greek duchy. Wait, did I just call my aunt “rather attractive”??

vikingofdisapprovalo347.jpg

A man's gotta say what a man's gotta say, that's also what my oldest son Erlend thinks and starts asking me quite inconvenient questions:

43806538.png

And I, being a caring and responsible father, send him to my wife and let her explain the nitty gritty details of that. How was I supposed to know that this demonstration of irresponsibility would lead to him becoming cynical?

vikingwomanmeme.jpg

Oh, and before I forget: Since I am the duke of Iceland we won that war on the green Island, but I am sure you believe me even without a picture to prove it. Just take Earl Niall's word for it.

10fr.png

Time to take a look at my actual and up-and-coming realm.

11fi.png

Just while I am plotting to take advantage of crowning myself duke of Ulster, I hear good news:

12f.png

So I might do something about the lack of fighting skills in Iceland. But why would a fighter from the east leave his home? Is there... any kind of... danger?

13f.png

CRUSADE! ME AND MY 486 SOLDIERS ARE ON A CRUSADE!

How will the crusade fare for the young duke? Will he produce more kids than this? Or will the abundance of children cause some serious issues for Eystein? Read more in the next installment of The Icelandic Mountains of Madness!