• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Now I am very scared.

'The Colossus project has reached completion. Testing has yielded positive results' Raquel Lietz shifted the display, from a series of charts and graphs to a small video of the latest test. The drones that they flew over the planet allowed a full view of the effectiveness of the weapon. Once the video had finished, she changed the display once more. A large vessel floated from the centre of the table. 'This is the Overlord-Class Colossus. This ship is the largest, most powerful vessel ever built in human history. It has one weapon, and one weapon only, the Divine Enforcer, which you have already seen the results of. Of course, this will require that we have superiority in a system before trying to activate this weapon. Whilst the Overlord is immensely powerful, it would be foolish to think that it is invincible. The power and space requirements for the Divine Enforcer mean we will be unable to fit any protective measures apart from armour and shields' she looked around the table as she spoke, the light from the projector casting a bluish light over the people around the table. Nikolai stood from the end. 'As we here know, this weapon is powered by pure psychic energy. We here are the only ones that know how we gather that energy. It is a secret that must not get out. Each progressive use of the weapon will power it back up, but we cannot use it with impunity. We must guard that from the rest of the Galaxy. If...' he paused, looking distracted. He tilted his head slightly as though listening to something else. He nodded slightly 'Yes, yes. We have to leave this meeting here. Proceed with the project.' He turned and walked out the room, the whispers from the Shroud moving with him lies, lies and more lies. The Shroud powers your weapons the whispers spoke, only to him. His immense powers now left him a permanent link to the beings in the Shroud, their knowledge and powers constantly at his disposal. Yes, I know this, as you well know! You want me to tell them that the energy is used to power u- you? he replied, confusing himself slightly. He felt that he was becoming more like the beings in the Shroud, shedding off his humanity. He shook off the whispers as he walked, blocking them out. He headed back to ground level, rushing to get to the next Council meeting. It was now time to tell them of the Colossus project.

upload_2020-3-13_12-47-26.png

the Overlord-Class Colossus

The fleets came out of the lane in a crackle of energy. Ira looked over the data coming in. 'Signal all ships, power up weapons. I want sensor up and running as soon as possible.' The screen fluttered as the cameras came back to life. The creature was there, staring them down. It seemed surprised to see the fleets. 'Signal to Admiral Kong, good hunting. May the best fleet win.' The signal passed, Ira leaned over and opened comms to her fleet. 'All ships, the target is in front. We are supported here by Second Fleet. Let's show them the reason they are second!' Cheers erupted on the bridge. 'Weapons armed and ready' Ira stood up walking to the centre of the bridge. 'Fire.' The screen lit up as both fleets opened fire on Shard. Humanity had waited a long time for this...

upload_2020-3-13_13-24-58.png

Shard's days are numbered!

The fleet hit the creature with all it had. At first, Shard threw off the attack as though it was nothing, replying with it's own attack, spitting balls of something similar to plasma at the ships. Ira noted the rate at which the creature could fire. It was impressive. The scientists of the Union would certainly enjoy studying the remains of this creature. Soon the fleets were able to break through the tough skin of the creature. Shot after shot started going deep into Shard, rupturing internal organs. The creature's attacks slowed as it weakened until, finally, the creature went limp, blood and body parts floating off in space. 'Cease fire.' Ira called out. The Illustrious stopped shuddering as the weapons slowly stopped firing, the rest of the ships following suit. The creature hung there, not moving. 'Zoom in on the creature.' The screen zoomed in, showing the creature's eyes, blank and dull. The image started to move lower until, finally, they saw it. The fabled artifact. 'There. Prepare a shuttle. Let's retrieve that item and head home. I will contact Nikolai now.' The Rubricator was at last in the possession of the Union.

upload_2020-3-13_13-43-48.png

The Rubricator is ours!

Final thing to add is:
h3h9llewwv221.jpg

HXw6uR8dnhRW-uhSDOqOyfXHe7pfuETlSDXALSo5GPZbjAjtBm1pr2ogHY1NA2PwuoZNswAJV28XX_1HFo-v3yfOl_SKSRYyT8CX1g_dsKb6XPzsqu1093OJ

Attachments

• h3h9llewwv221.jpg
    h3h9llewwv221.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
«Final thing to add» lacks its image, I’m afraid.

«Final thing to add» lacks its image, I’m afraid.

Thanks, should be fixed now, though image isn't great... Basically it's Dr. Strange saying we're in the endgame now.

The war raged on, back and forth, as it had done for years. Once again, the Alliance found themselves at war with the Auspicious Axis, the rivalry between the Fafossan Company and the Polity of Uthon breaking out into open conflict, the alliances caught once more in the web. Nikolai saw the opportunity and seized it. The Colossus, slowly, moved towards the homeworld of the Caloctora Administration, allies to the Uthon. The system had been previously secured by 1st Fleet, under their new Admiral, Mwanjuma Mbadinuju. Ira Naik had been moved into command of the Colossus, such an important weapon needing experienced control. Once in place, Nikolai moved down to the lower chambers. This planet was bigger than any of their tests, with more population. He focused his thoughts, reaching out into the Shroud and to the Colossus. When ready, he allowed the psychic energy to be unleashed on the planet. The population lapsed into a trance. Those that were beyond saving were destroyed or had their souls ripped out, powering the weapon, the beings in the Shroud and Nikolai himself. He breathed deeply as the power flowed into him. The population that wasn't killed came out of their trance and rejoiced! They had learned the truth, seen the Shroud whilst in their trance, and were coming around to the idea of gods. Nikolai smiled. Their new belief will tear their empire apart. Sacrifices will be made, to their new found gods, with Nikolai and the others receiving the offerings. The new weapon was working well. He shivered, suddenly cold. There was something... it lurked on the edges of his senses, drawing closer. He stood, shaking himself off. He would deal with that when it came.

upload_2020-3-15_11-51-25.png
upload_2020-3-15_11-51-34.png

'Their ships have been sighted, subtly moving throughout the galaxy. We do not, as yet, know what they are up to.' Mikael paused, ensuring he still had the Emperor's attention. Many thought that Nikolai's mind had begun to wander of late. He often seemed distracted, as though listening to other conversations. He also seemed to disappear, many aides walking in front of him whilst giving him a brief only to turn and Nikolai was no longer there. In this instance, he looked up and waved for Mikael to continue. He already knew, of course, but it seemed important he should get this brief. The Watchers had awakened. Very well, but what threat do they pose? They will challenge you. They have the power... Nikolai had to agree. The Watchers were a force, always had been. But why have they decided to awaken now... Centuries they have been content to be at rest. There was no answer from the others. '... aggressive. However, that could change.' Nikolai refocused. He had missed that part. No matter, he would piece it together himself. He nodded, motioning for Admiral Mbadinuju to rise. '1st, 2nd and 3rd fleets stand ready. They are nearly back up to full strength following the recent war, but most of the crews have had substantial shore leave whilst the maintenance periods have been completed. We can have them moving to position in a few short months.' The Admiral brought up a display of the galaxy. 'As we know, the Watchers are far enough away from our territory to not pose an immediate threat. Our allies-' if that is what they can be called. Always dragging you into their wars, hiding behind your power. Such allies. One voice whispered to Nikolai. This could be an opportunity to be rid of them. Sacrifice them. Nikolai considered it. It was, of course an option, but then the shadow he felt in the distance... We will need allies in the future he replied. You? Or the Union...? came the response. It irritated Nikolai, that line of thought. We. As in all of us. This coming enemy may cause problems for you too. Unless you are content to have your supply of energy cut off...? The others silenced once again. '-We stand ready for orders.' Nikolai looked up. The briefing was over. At least, on this occasion, he caught the very end. Better than the awkward silence he encountered last time. 'We will need to plan this carefully. We do not wish to anger these beings, but we need to be aware, should they pose a threat, that we are ready to defend ourselves and our allies. Prepare the fleets, but ensure we do not move too early. The crews have earned a reprieve-' he paused, the whispering had started again, but he blocked it out '-and we need to make sure the fleets are at full power before we make our move. Keep me informed of any updates.' He dismissed them all before he turned back to the Shroud. He stood in a field, surrounded by various beings, some in their human forms, others taking on more nightmarish aspects, each displaying their nature. The beautiful woman he had encountered before was there, next to him. 'You come to learn or are you here for... pleasure?' her voice seductive as she leaned in close to him. 'I am here to learn' he replied, turning to face her. The old man stood in her place, sighing. 'Of course. Your endless search for the nature of the future threat?' He nodded in reply. 'We know no more than you do. What do you hope to achieve with this?'. Nikolai smiled grimly. 'We must seek more power. Whilst we may not yet know the threat, we will need more power.' Always more power he thought to himself.

upload_2020-3-15_16-25-24.png

The sleeper has awakened

Bill sat back, putting his coffee on the desk as he did so. He brought the latest field report up. Having recently completed his doctorate, he had asked to be posted back at Lessim, curiosity about the primitive people there coming to fore. Since then he had been on several trips to the surface and was scheduled for another one today. By use of holographic technology, the scientists at Lessim Station were able to blend in with the locals to complete their research projects. There was little really left to learn, the centuries of observation having revealed so much, but many students passed through, historians and scientists, seeking inspiration or trying to crack some hidden secret in humanity's evolution. He skimmed through the report, his thoughts turning towards his next rotation off. He would, eventually, have to look at a serious research position, he knew that, but still... His thoughts turned back to that day Greg went missing. He had to know. Was it the locals? If so, they had hidden it well. But what other- He stopped, scrolling back on the report. Some new religion was emerging... This was... worrying. It could destabilise the planet! He read further... the report didn't name him, but some being with magic-like abilities... What was that old Earth saying? Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic... Greg was alive. And he disappeared willingly... Bill shook his head and drained his coffee. This was going to be a long day... He'd have to report this. He looked at the time, sighing. He may not make his trip down after all. This was likely to take some time. He began searching through previous reports, looking for any other signs that had gone unnoticed. The Research Academy would want all the details and heads were likely to roll for this...

upload_2020-3-15_20-24-2.png

Dammit Greg!

The viewscreen sprang to life, startling Bill. He looked over and Greg was there. 'Hello, Bill. I hear you've been looking for me.' The melodic voice came across the network. He still wore his holo-disguise, though Bill noted he appeared to be alone. Perhaps he fears being discovered? he wondered to himself. 'Hello Greg, this is a pleasant surprise. I suppose it saves us further searches for you.' He replied, trying to hide his unease. Greg smiled a smile that did nothing to quell the fears Bill had. 'Oh, do not worry about that. I have no need to hide from such petty creatures.' Bill struggled to maintain a neutral expression. So far, his attempts to trace Greg's transmission was failing. He was looping it through several relays, often back on itself, in order to hide his location. 'Petty? Well, that stings a bit. Afterall, we were colleagues and, or so I thought, friends.' Bill leaned back in his chair. There seemed little point in trying anything. Greg had taught him all he knew about this comms system. If he didn't want to be traced, it was unlikely Bill would find a way. 'So, what's going on?' Greg sighed, looking around, perhaps fearing being overheard? 'I'm tired. I'm tired of being held back by mediocre minds, being forced to bow and scrape to inferior beings. But most of all, I'm tired of the lies. He is a man! Not a God! He is not the Stranger, and he never will be! He has supplanted that belief with one of his own! He preaches truth and justice, yet allows all manner of injustices to go unpunished!' Ah thought Bill. We get to the crux of it all. 'And what injustices would these be?' he asked, keeping his voice calm and neutral. 'You know, do not act like you don't. We, both of us, are far superior to our 'superiors'' Greg sneered as he spoke 'we should be running things, not bowing and scraping to those that hold power, merely because of personal connections. The so-called God Emperor is nothing more than a man! Why should he be lauded and we forgotten?' his pitch had increased to the point that the last words were practically screamed out. Bill maintained his calm. 'He is the Emperor. He knows best. You cannot deny his divinity, his longevity alone speaks for that, never mind his powers.' Bill spoke, trying to be rational to this madman. But Greg just sneered once more. 'His powers! Bah! Have you seen them? Or is it just reports of them? What are you, a scientist or a believer? We rely on evidence. Where is this? He makes himself a God, whilst we do all the work! Well, I can tell you won't be convinced. I was going to ask you to come down and join me, serve as my right hand.' Bill leaned forward, his confusion evident in his features. 'What are you talking about? You can't hide down there forever. People are looking for you, they will find you, even if you change appearance with your holo-disguise, we will eventually know who you are.' He tapped his head for emphasis on this last bit. Greg laughed bitterly. 'It will be too late. I will destroy this 'Union' you value so highly. The people on this word will follow me. I will lift them up and their planet's resources shall serve my cause. If Nikolai can call himself a God, why not me?!' He paused, looking at his friend as though it was the last time. 'Do not try to stop me, Bill. It will only bring pain to you.' The screen went black as suddenly as it had started up. Bill was shaken, but he quickly sent the recorded message back to Earth. The Academy had to hear of this, and, most likely, the Emperor would want to know as well. This did not bode well for the future...

upload_2020-3-16_1-29-56.png
upload_2020-3-16_1-30-11.png

It appears Greg was wearing a disguise, for the purposes of this meeting...

Oh Greg, you are doomed...

Janet adjusted the controls, focusing the readings. She yawned as she did so. Another boring shift, monitoring a black hole. The gravitational pull of this hole had fluctuated since observations began and the Academy was hoping to learn more about the nature of black holes with deeper analysis. So, Janet was sent, a one woman mission. Oh sure, it was important. Or so she was told, but apparently not important enough for more than one person's attention. She stifled another yawn and looked over the results from last night. Sod this. she thought, getting up from her desk. 'I'll look this all over later.' Speaking aloud to myself... maybe isolation was getting to her. With much of the station automated now, there was no need for other people to be here. They could even have the results sent over the network... She sighed, turning to the kitchen. 'Coffee, black, no sugar.' She heard the thrum of the machine as it started her order. She sat at a small table, closed her eyes and lent her head back. At first she didn't notice the surge. She then heard one of the lights blow out. She opened her eyes, seeing half the kitchen in shadows. She looked over to her coffee, seeing the machine sparking, her coffee not even half full before the safety cut off the supply. She stood slowly, bewildered. Alarms sounded across the station. 'Computer, identify the source of the attack!' She called out. Who could have penetrated this deep into Union territory? she wondered. 'There are no other units in this system' the computers voice replied. 'Computer, identify the source of the surge. If we are not under attack, then what is happening?' Janet rushed back to the control room. She had to contact the Academy. She only hoped that the comms system still worked. This is Station Xray tack two two nine. We have a power surge. Analysing systems now. Unsure if comms work. Relay message back to the Academy and Earth she sent out a psychic call, hoping she was able to reach the next station. Unknown to her, Earth already knew. All across the Union the power surge was felt, systems flaring up, many cutting out with safety measures, some of them failing. Fires, electrical failures and several injuries occurred before the surge vanished, as mysteriously as it came. There was no indication of what started it. A quick check with the rest of the Alliance identified that this had been felt across the galaxy. Nikolai pulled himself out of the Shroud, sensing something was wrong. Whatever the darkness was he felt, it was getting closer...

upload_2020-3-16_11-13-37.png

Something is coming...

The power surge did not take long to locate. The sensor array picked up a storm brewing in the Beskell system, located between Uthonian and Mireeshian territories. Monitoring this over the course of several days, Kumar Desmukh marveled at what the sensors where seeing. 'It's impossible!' he muttered under his breath, not for the first time. A sudden spike in the readings, he leaned closer to the display. Something was happening... 'Computer, bring up cameras eight, nineteen and thirty six' the computer quickly obliged, the spy cameras that had been placed in the system courtesy of the Mireesh allowed them to see, real-time, what was happening. There were distortions happening around the central point, the energy readings increasing. He glanced at the read-outs, noticing the readings peaking before suddenly dropping. A flash brought his attention back to the monitors. The cameras went fuzzy as the energy began to affect their systems. A short time later, the secondary systems kicked in and the image returned. 'Holy Emperor!' Kumar swore. 'Yes, it's quite a sight, isn't it' a voice from behind him. Kumar spun around, shocked to see the Emperor stood there. He fell to his knees, shaking. 'I.... I.... I....' Nikolai waved away whatever the scientist was about to say. 'Yes, yes. I'm sure.' He muttered, walking closer to the monitors. Fascinating. They are predators. The whispering began. Yes, and I sense... potential he replied. These beings were clearly from outside their galaxy, but they brimmed with power, he could almost taste it even across this distance. He tapped his wrist. 'Admiral. I want all fleets to converge on...' he brought up a star chart of the area quickly '... the Bythia system. They should be prepared to fight for their very existence, for OUR very existence.' He smiled, his features half hidden in shadow. So much energy to be consumed, so much power... He turned, transferring himself back into the Shroud, all the beings converged around him, their excitement matching his own. 'We will need your aid in this fight' he said to them, sensing their agreement. The Unbidden had come to this galaxy, and they came to their deaths...

upload_2020-3-16_11-39-26.png
upload_2020-3-16_11-39-36.png
upload_2020-3-16_11-39-44.png

Here, at the end, it begins...

They came out of the lane, the fleet converging into an attack formation. 1st, 2nd and 3rd fleets stood ready with 6th and 4th fleets and the Wildclaw Voidwings on their way to support. The Unbidden ships glowed with a strange light. Admiral Mbadinuju looked over the sensor readings. Though they were alien, there was nothing to suggest that the combined fleets could not win the day. 'Signal all ships to engage the enemy. To Admiral's Ikeda and Naidoo, good hunting. Power up all weapons. Let's get in hard and fast. I do not want to give them time to regroup or support. We're the first of this Galaxy to try and take them on, so let's make the most of it. We have the element of surprise here, let's use it! When in range, fire with all we have!

upload_2020-3-16_12-18-38.png

Engage the enemy!

We are at the Beskell system. The enemy has been caught unawares. They spread their fleets out upon arrival. The Mireesh have been instrumental in keeping them boxed into this area whilst we picked them off one by one. We are now preparing to finish this. Admiral Mbadinuju sent her message to the Emperor. He sent an acknowledgement, his focus elsewhere. With each death, he felt the energy come flooding in. These beings, the Unbidden, they were similar to those of the Shroud, but... there was a difference. It was as though they were cousins, of a sorts. He was soon giddy with the flood of psychic energy that came flooding in from their deaths, the Shroud practically glowing as the energy flooded through. The other beings also shared with the feast that was coming their way. Nikolai had spent more and more time in the Shroud of late, now almost indistinguishable from the other beings. He had learned so much about their natures, the dangers and threats they posed as well as their virtues and offers they could extend. The Shroud was fast becoming a new home.

upload_2020-3-16_12-48-56.png

The end is nigh...

With the last of their fleets destroyed, there was nothing between the Human fleets and the portal from which the Unbidden came from. Admiral Mbadinuju had already sent the instructions to the rest of the fleet. Combining their psychic might, the entire fleet focused on reversing the energies that spilled out of the void. The spinning vortex slowed as the psychic energy built up. All over the fleet, crew members slipped into unconsciousness, some even dying from the strain. Nikolai waited till the psychic power reached its peak. When it was ready, he manipulated the power, pushing it deep into the centre of the void, the vortex having stopped spinning. He used the power to stitched close the void, taking time and care to ensure that no gaps remained. This level of power was unprecedented, but the amount of psychic energy that the war with the Unbidden had filled Nikolai with unimaginable potential! He stitched carefully, his power being topped up as more and more of the crew succumbed to the strains of focusing their own power. The void sucked inwards as he made the last stitch, the faint trace of energy lingering in the air. Nikolai smiled to himself and sent the Admiral an all-clear. The crews stopped their focusing and turned to dealing with those that could still be helped. The war was over. The Unbidden had been defeated.

upload_2020-3-16_13-12-3.png

The Unbidden are defeated

Nikolai faced the other beings, smiling. We thank you for your help. The old man stepped forwards, a nervous expression on his face. It was necessary. We must defeat all threats to the natural order. He looked around him at the others, and nodded. Nikolai felt energy rippling around him, the power that had just been coursing through him was drained away. He fell to the floor, weakened. No being should wield such power. The old man spoke softly. We know, we can see it in you, the darkness spreading. The way you wantonly kill to build up your power... It is not our way. Nikolai screamed as he felt their attack tightening around him. Wh... What are... you... doing?' he managed to ask. We are trapping you here came the reply. Nikolai tried to struggle against these bonds, but it was in vain. Do no worry, it is not permanent. Soon you will be free like the rest of us. Suddenly, Nikolai understood. The beings in the Shroud, the affinity... the pain stopped. He lifted his arms and felt the boundaries of his new prison. You. You are all like me a statement, not a question. He finally understood it all. The old man smiled sadly, nodding. Yes. I was once like you, drunk on power, I tore my galaxy apart to feed my ambition, to feed me. He shook his head as memories came back. The others trapped me too. In time, I learned patience. I studied the natural order. We do not wish to destroy the galaxy, not yet at least. When that happens, when it is time, we will combine and end the cycle. We will then move to the next galaxy, and so on. So study, learn and be ready. Sooner all later, all things end.

So, that is that. With victory disabled, I decided to end it with the defeat of the Unbidden (who were surprisingly easy! Made a change that the AI actually helped out a bit!) Thank you to everyone for your input and for reading, I really hope you enjoyed! If anyone has any feedback, please let me know.

Special thanks to those who regularly commented @Macavity116, @Nikolai, @generalis Julius Caesar @stnylan and @Surt. You guys have been great with your feedback and suggestions, as well as inspiring with your own works! Your support has been greatly appreciated.

I plan on taking a short break, but will return with another AAR, possibly from a different PDS game.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to read this AAR, and I hope you enjoyed it!

Thanks a lot for doing this story, it has been a pleasure to read! :) I liked the ending, quite fitting. :D

Thank you, this was a great AAR. I loved every chapter! :D Sad it's over though:(

Oh, man. That final paragraph gave me chills.

So study, learn and be ready. Sooner all later, all things end.
And is a perfect point to let the curtain fall. Thanks for sharing your story with us! Can't wait for the next one!

Was very entertaining.

Thank you all! I'm very glad you enjoyed it! I have an idea for my next story but will be taking a bit of time before I start that. Hopefully I'll catch you all on that one.