• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'll admit, I didn't set out to make him the Chosen One. I never nudged any of his elections, apart from the last one and when the event came up, I had to take the risk!

I am really glad you enjoyed it! Ah, but the beings are not ready to be defined yet... ;)

Last edited:
He was always destined for great things :)

That was awesome!!!!!

Samantha walked in the office, coffee in one hand and the data chip with the morning reports on the other. Security, she mused to herself. The data on this small chip was so valuable it couldn't be put on the network, in case of breaches. Even she had no idea what was on it, an instant read report would be generated if she tried to view it. She put the coffee on the Prime Citizen's desk, the data chip next to it, as she had done for the past 3 years of working here. 'Good Morning, Prime Citizen' she said, adjusting the angle of the mug so that the handle faced towards his side of the desk. She turned to walk away then stopped. Something... She hesitated. There was something unusual. Then it hit her! She could not believe she didn't realise it!

He was not there. She reached for her comm and called him. It rang out. 'Computer, locate the Prime Citizen.' She asked. 'Unable to comply' Was the reply. She hesitated again. The computer should be able to locate him, even in the event of death... 'Computer. Contact the Council.'

'He's dead. I tell you!' One said. 'Assassinated!' another replied. It was the same everywhere. Nikolai, beloved leader of the Union had vanished, over 2 years ago, without a trace. In his absence, the Church of the Stranger had once again emerged as a dominant power. Swept aside by Nikolai, purely by his popularity, the Church had waited, biding it's time. The Grand Cleric, Vespasian IV, had chaffed under Nikolai, shoved to one side and marginalised as the Prime Citizen took upon himself the worship of the Stranger, took it outside of the Church and led many to believe that they themselves held the power! How many nights had he argued with Nikolai! He had no right! The Church was a unifying organisation! Through them, all were connected to the Stranger! Without the Church, Humanity was left adrift! All this talk of others entering another realm and communicating with beings like the Stranger were clearly falsehood! And so, Vespasian preached, every day to those he met with, every week to an ever dwindling congregation. Well, now Nikolai was gone, well, now they would listen to him!

He stood, following one such sermon, in his chambers. He had done what he had to, to ensure the survival of the Church. 'Natasha, Alex, Edward, Francois, Alfredo'. He recited the names, over and over. He felt the sensations, the blade in his hand, the resistance of the skin and muscle.... He shook his head. No! He said to himself. No. He did what he had to do. To bring the Council back into the fold. It was unfortunate, but they would not bow to his will. The others, they soon fell into line, however. 'Natasha, Alex, Edward, Francois-' He said 'Alfredo' another voice finished his chant. Vespasian turned, a jolt of recognition hit him. But this voice... It stirred in his memories. But it was stronger, more assured...

The room was empty. He reached up and wiped his brow, sweating unexpectedly. He smiled grimly to himself. 'Imagining things. The stress of running the Union' He spoke aloud, satisfied that was all it was. He had seized control, though the populace did not know it. 'Are no longer yours!' The voice rang out, stronger than before. Vespasian turned a full 360, scanning every inch of the room. There was no denying that voice, no denying the owner. He had heard it, as though it had been shouted in his ear and projected in his mind. 'No! NO!! You are gone! You are NOTHING!' His voice grew shrill as he shouted out. Vespasian blinked and, in that short space of time, Nikolai appeared. He was sat in a chair in the corner of the room, looking as comfortable as if he had been there the whole time. I am here. His lips did not move, but Vespasian felt the blow of every word as though it had struck him. Nikolai stood slowly. He was glowing, softly, his eyes almost crackling with energy. Vespasian noticed sparks, seemingly at the edge of his vision, cascading along Nikolai's fingers.

I. Am. HERE
the voice in Vespasian's head grew louder, stronger. In the distance, he heard shouting, banging, far away. So far away from those eyes. He began to see himself reflected deep within those eyes, the reflection pulling him in, drawing him deeper. He could not resist as he moved forward, one step, two, three... he lost concentration. Those eyes were all that remained. He lost track of everything. The sound of banging grew dimmer, the shouting ceased. He did not notice anything other than those eyes. He felt his soul being drawn out, saw his body fall. He felt peace, at last. He tried to speak, to thank the stranger, when a strange sensation came over him. He suddenly felt cold, so very, very cold. 'You do not get the Stranger's peace. You do not get peace.' A voice whispered to him. 'You, instead, get to wait. Eventually, you may find your peace. But it is not today.' He felt himself drawn into a whirlpool, circling around, being drawn in, until, finally, the only thing to remain was the chill. 'That is one.' He heard the being speak. 'And that is it for now. We may make other deals, one day, but that was the bargain that we had made. One spirit energy to return me to my dimension.' The response was flat, passive, almost bored. Vespasian felt the being become angry. The voice spoke again. 'Temper. I have not broken our deal. You remain at the forefront of any future deals, and you know there will yet be many. But we are done, for today at least.' Nikolai stood, moving around the security guard that had broken down the door, now frozen in time, dodging past the splinters still flying outward as the guard came into the room. He smiled. So much had been learned in the past 2 years. But he was the Prime Citizen. And it was time. Time to make that mean something. Too long had the Union suffered under the pre-text of democracy! Too long had the shifting of power ruined progress. 'It shall be no more! I, Nikolai, proclaim it! I am, and will be, forever, the leader of the Union. I. Am. Emperor!' His voice projected outwards, across the planet and beyond, to all planets of the Union. All stopped, stunned by the connection, a force so strong, so powerful, it could only have come from a God! Everyone across the Union fell to their knees from the force of the psychic projection. Nikolai turned and, with a thought, brought the local time back to normal. The security guard came fully into the room, finding the body of the Grand Cleric to be dried out and mummified, and stopped, shocked. He fell across the desk in front of him, unable to stop his motion. He turned quickly, scanning for threats, when the message, delayed purely by Nikolai's enhanced powers, hit him seconds later. Falling to his knees in front of Nikolai, he looked up, his eyes barely able to comprehend the being in front of him. His vision swam as his new, personal timeline caught up. The dizziness hit him hard and he struggled not to throw up, lowering his head from the glowing being in front of him. 'Stand' Nikolai spoke, his voice hitting him like a blow. The guard stood, slowly, staggering slightly as the effects of the time displacement continued to affect him. 'What is you name?' Nikolai asked, his voice seeming to double itself, both heard outside and inside the Guard's head. 'I... I... I am...' The guard stuttered. He coughed a couple of times, clearing his throat and pushing back another wave of bile as his body continued to adjust. 'I am Nathaniel.' His voice firmer, stronger than he felt. Nikolai smiled, the glow dying down, the features of the man his was once again visible as he drew his powers back into himself. 'Welcome Nathaniel. Welcome, and please, I ask you, be the first of my Imperial Guard.' Nathaniel looked up in awe at the man that stood in front of him. He nodded and Nikolai raised a hand towards him. Accepting it, Nathaniel stood straighter, empowered by the connection, tears streaming down his face as he beheld the glory that was before him. 'Well then, let's go and inform the Union of the change, shall we?' Nikolai smiled again and Nathaniel nodded. It really was that simple, it was logical, it was the only option...

upload_2020-3-4_0-3-2.png

It really is the only choice...

Last edited:
Only one choice indeed. All hail Nikolai

A most excellent choice. All hail Nikolai, first of his name!

Nice to see you pick up such a fast paced writing style.

Nikolai wandered the fields. Since coming into his powers, he had spent much time in the Shroud. When he had realised what had happened to him, he began to explore his abilities, test his limits. It was then he realised that he could cross over completely, not just project his spirit. He had panicked at first, surrounded by the energies and strange environments, unable to locate a way out. He had tried reaching out to the beings, but no answer was forthcoming. He could sense the beings out there, but they seemed to be waiting. He decided to pick a direction and set off, seeing what this land held. He began to walk, focusing his mind and pushing down his fears. Eventually, one of the beings approached him and a bargain was struck. Nikolai spent the rest of his time training with the beings. In exchange, all they asked was psychic energy. It took Nikolai some time before he realised that the psychic energy they wanted was souls. So he struck a new bargain. They would show him how to pass in and out of the Shroud at will, and each visit, Nikolai would pay them a soul. The deal struck, and Nikolai returned, his plans in motion to take power.

It was easier than he anticipated. His display of power, coupled with his years of service, led many in the Union to openly support him. The Council, having been recently under attack from the Church, fell into line quicker than he anticipated, his promises that they would still function as they did in the new order enough to sway them. He chose not to flaunt his new position, keeping his office and usual position on the Council, the only additions that showed his new office was a crown made of crystal infused with a mysterious material called Zro. This material amplified his already considerable powers. He had tried to avoid going toe frequently into the Shroud, but knew it was inevitable sooner or later. The beings that inhabited that plane would only wait for so long before seeking reprisals for a broken deal. The first soul was a young man he had found wandering the streets. Physically he was fine, but he lapsed into a coma after the offering. Nikolai steeled himself against remorse for his actions - they were necessary! He knew something was coming, something... dark, powerful. What he did, he did for the sake of the Union. The second visit was easier. He chose to be honest with his chosen victim, an elderly woman who had a reputation of predicting the future. She smiled and nodded, saying she knew and understood. She went willingly to her fate and Nikolai continued this path, telling the victims first and giving them a choice. If they refused he would wipe their memories and send them on their way. So far, nobody had refused him.

On this occassion, he was walking with one of the beings. He could not discern it, but he felt it there, brushing against him as it swirled around him. He heard it whisper periodically, offering power if only he would allow it to pass back with him. He stopped walking, and sent out his thoughts: 'If all your others can pass through, why can't you?' The being snarled For the same reason I have no form it replied, bitterness coming off it in waves. 'He is trapped, by our power' Nikolai turned to see the old man walking towards him. 'Do not be swayed by him. If you use your powers and break his bonds, he will wreak havoc on everything, destroy the entire galaxy.' Nikolai turned away, the waves of twisted humour that came of the other being was making him sick. 'But we do not wish to send you back empty handed. Here...' a thought came to him, as it often did during these teaching moments. Psychically attuning the crew of a ship towards defence would allow them to enhance their shields, covering breaks in their defences with pure psychic energy... Nikolai pondered the concept, before nodding. The being left, the anger almost a physical blow to him as it left. The old man smiled at him, relieved. 'We may be tricksters who follow our own agenda, sometimes, but if that one gets loose... It would destroy everything.' Nikolai smiled 'Yes. And with it your supply of psychic energy.' The old man chuckled in response. Nikolai had learned too much about this place now. He waved his hand and left, appearing back in his office. He no longer felt tired at shifting between dimensions. He paused for a moment, wondering about his own nature, his methods. He shook his head. The good of the Union is more important than anything else.

upload_2020-3-4_20-59-22.png

A nice boon to have.

He's getting quite at home.

Going down the evil path, I see.

Going down the evil path, I see.

The needs of the Union outweigh such concerns... I wouldn't call it evil, as such. But he is immensely powerful now and you know what they say about power. There is also the question of the beings in the Shroud and how that will affect him...

The needs of the Union outweigh such concerns... I wouldn't call it evil, as such. But he is immensely powerful now and you know what they say about power. There is also the question of the beings in the Shroud and how that will affect him...

Noblesse oblige

or more likely

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

This is why I don't go psionic.

Bill yawned, scratching his chin as he did so. He took a mouthful of coffee then read through the rest of the report from the previous night. Standard stuff, he thought to himself. Repair work ongoing in section 4-F, lighting seems to be playing up. Ventilation clean is scheduled for tonight. Great. That will be banging around tonight. He yawned again. Maybe I'll see if there's a film on in the mess this evening. He rolled his neck, stretching it as he did. Biological samples yada yada yada... Like there was anything they didn't know about this planet by now! Still, the bosses insisted. Something about evolution. Whatever. He was there to study the planetary movements around different stars. This was his third system, following the binary Pathavon system and the Class M Aludra system. Lessim was a Class K and so far his thesis was coming along. He scanned a bit further. Greg should have been back by now. Maybe he'll talk to him about going on the next trip down. He hadn't been on a planet in a couple of years, afterall. He keyed in Greg's code. It took him a bit of time to notice that he wasn't getting the usual call-tone. It was static. He picked up the log again, reading it more thoroughly. Greg left the station at 2200 Hours local... A typical trip to the planet was between 4 and 5 hours... There was nothing about a return trip. He got up, grabbing his coffee as he did so and rushed to the hangar bay. Shuttle L-002 was checked out to Dr. Gregg Pasima. He went into the hangar itself and looked around, trying not to notice the obvious gap where the missing shuttle should be. 'Computer, locate shuttle Lima tack Zero Zero Two' he asked. 'Shuttle Lima tack Zero Zero Two is not on the station... standby... standby... Shuttle located, planetside, position four six degrees North, zero one seven degrees East.' Bill cursed, loudly. Greg was already too late getting back, risking exposure. He ran to the command deck. The captain would be furious when they found him!

upload_2020-3-5_20-13-38.png

He better have a good explanation for being AWOL!

The project was nearing completion, a year's work being put into practice. If this final test went well, then the weapon would be put onto the largest ship ever built by the Union. In order to test the weapon, an old convoy ship had been retrofitted as a weapons test platform. The ship was now in orbit around the planet Dradim, located in neutral territory outside the borders of the United Quenti Mandate's territory. This not only allowed secrecy, away from any prying eyes, but also ensured that no fingers would be pointed at the Union. Months had been spent visiting various planets, secretly recruiting various beings for this project. Once they were sure they had at least 100 of each species, a small colony was set up, splitting them around the planet. Nikolai, safely on Earth, was making his way deep underneath the Council chambers, where a special control centre had been built. The door slid shut behind him, locking at his thought. The room was shaped like a diamond. In similar fashion to his crown, the crystal it had been built out of had been infused with with zro, it's geometric design combining with the capabilities of this strange substance to allow him to further focus his energies. It was completely empty, each step echoing as he moved towards the centre. When he was there, he opened his mind to the small crew onboard the testing platform. Is all in place? he asked. The captain projected the data from the ships computers to him. Satisfied that all was ready, he focused his thoughts outward, letting them reflect off the many facets of the room before directing them to reform in a single, charged beam. The psychic energy slipped through the Shroud to a similar, smaller room built on the test platform. Once again, the energy rebounded off all the facets of this room, gaining more charge from the zro infused crystal. When sufficiently charged, Nikolai directed it out of a lens built on the front of the ship. The energy hit the atmosphere of the planet below, spreading out across the planet and rapidly sinking to sea level. At first nothing happened then, slowly, the people on the planet began to fall, one by one. Slipping slowly into a coma as their souls were ripped from their bodies. Most of the psychic energy collected being redirected back to Nikolai, with a small amount siphoned off into the Shroud, to feed the beings there. Nikolai felt rejuvenated as the energy filled him up. He breathed deeply as the energy flow slowed, eventually coming to a stop. Nikolai opened his eyes, the room lit up brightly by the glow of power that came off of him. He blinked slowly. This... is invigorating. He projected his thoughts back into the Shroud. Yes... That first taste. It has been many millennia, but I remember it well... Feast deeply and often! The old man's familiar presence briefly felt. What he said... it troubled Nikolai. He couldn't place his finger on it, but he felt something was off. The beings had suggested this project, a means of stopping him having to sacrifice his own people. He felt more and more drawn to the Shroud, more connected to the others there... This is something I need to consider he thought to himself.

upload_2020-3-5_22-3-3.png

A deadly weapon with a hidden purpose...?

Nikolai needs to consider who he is serving, and why.