The 'how to prevent the reinvention of the wheel in EU5' thread

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

scriptkiddy

Captain
3 Badges
Sep 12, 2020
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
As we all know, EU5 is coming. While we’ve already presented a wishlist with features that should be implemented, removed or improved in EU5 (mostly concearning mana and pops) we haven’t let the devs know yet which features they are free to port, even copy paste from EU4 to EU5 so that they’ll be available from day 1, not only after countless hotfixes, refurbished DLCs and a hell of a shitstorm here and on Steam.

I’ll start with the diplomacy mechanics which I think are perfect as they are and don’t need any tweaking.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
First of all, I don't think such thread is necessary. If the devs are even a little interested in what players like in their game, they already know everything they need.

But if there is a thing they should port to EU5, its propably events, at least most of them. Even more so, they *should* port them and they *will* port them, like it was with EU3.

• 6Like
Reactions:
The "improve relations" action is microintensive and should be reworked.

PDS tried to automate improve relation. They failed, it is still far better (but boring af) to micro.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Given Paradox's recent history (Stellaris, Imperator Rome, Victoria 2 even if it is old now) of taking out basic features like ability to rename things, and then intentionally ignoring all suggestions to add back in - I'll say, please allow us to rename regiments and ships in EU5 at least. Don't reinvent the wheel there.

I want to name my troops and ships how I want, it helps me roleplay and organize (and commemorate units that did something significant). Yes I like to play the game that slowly.
I want to rename cities in honour of my great generals, and colonies in honour of my rulers. I want to recreate Roman legions when I play as Byzantium and survive.
I don't want a puny ass Liburnian named "Rome" after my capital. I want to name my Octere flagship to be named that.
I don't want absolute nonsense like "27th Rome Ironclad".

That feature had been there since old PDS games, no need to unnecessarily slack on that part of game design and cut features for no reason.
I don't have an opinion on pops or others stuff for now. I just want my ability to rename things first.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Paradox has said with previous new iterations that they are a lot more bare-bones, but they create a stronger foundation to build off of/expand from. It takes longer to build back up, but the potential and end result is better, or at least that’s the theory.

Although, I wouldn’t say EUV is even being worked on, given they’re currently almost releasing another DLC for EUIV.

Reactions:
I love the nerve that some people on this forum have. "WE want pops", "WE want to remove mana", etc.

No, no WE don't. YOU do. The majority of the EU4 player base likes the game as it is. It's just a vocal minority that insists on pushing and twisting the game into something that it isn't. If you hate mana and love pops so much, why don't you go play Victoria?

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Paradox often build their games on their previous versions. EU4 had a lot of the data directly copied from EU3. There are even events and decisions in the files (particularly for Japan) that never worked in EU4 (having "always no" in their triggers) but are in the files because they were copied from EU3.

Reactions:
I love the nerve that some people on this forum have. "WE want pops", "WE want to remove mana", etc.

No, no WE don't. YOU do. The majority of the EU4 player base likes the game as it is. It's just a vocal minority that insists on pushing and twisting the game into something that it isn't. If you hate mana and love pops so much, why don't you go play Victoria?
If we go by survey result, from the huge almost 10k responding, which we talked about a little bit in https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/eu4-development-diary-3rd-of-november-2020.1440475/ then from the detailed results we have not shared with you, there seems to be a dramatic demand for pops and simulation.
I'll just leave this here :)

To contribute to the actual thread itself as well: I think they SHOULD try to reinvent the wheel with a potential EU5. I for one, do not like monarch points or development and these are mechanics which are fundamental in the game. Changing them would require to build the game from the ground up again.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I'll just leave this here :)

To contribute to the actual thread itself as well: I think they SHOULD try to reinvent the wheel with a potential EU5. I for one, do not like monarch points or development and these are mechanics which are fundamental in the game. Changing them would require to build the game from the ground up again.
Although current Steam stats show more than 20k playing EU4 right now. So even if all 10K responses said they wanted pops doesn't rule out the statement that it's a minority.

In general it depends how they change it. Most suggestions are spending cash and pops which isn't going to change it that much.

Reactions: